Ovarian pain???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ovarian pain???

hello,

I have a concern, lately since jnauray of this year once a month I have been going through what I think is ovarian pain. it's always on my left side, it feels like cramping but it hurts really bad, it starts around my lower stomach and radiates down my legs, and as of yesterday around my lower left back area. Sometimes it lasts an hour to all day. yesterday it lasted for 4 hours where everytime i got up to walk the pain would start it would be sharp, and sometimes i would be doubled over. it also felt like i would start my period as well, but nothing happened. I have tried looking up ovarian pain on google, but it keeps brining up cysts, or ovarian cancer, i don't think I have either, but this pain is annoying, so any reccomendations on what to take to stop the pain.

I went in last month for a pap smear, and they didn't feel any cysts on my ovaries at all!! So please help!!!

Jessica
I get ovarian pain also, usually in the middle of my cycle just means ur ovulating. I wouldnt be alarmed if you r getting it mid cycle & around the same time every month.  It can last a few mins or a few days. If it gets more serious go back to the gyno. Hope that helps
Sometimes, you can have small cysts that drs. can't feel. They're usually not serious or cause cancer,but if they burst, it does cause pain. My mother, sister, and I have all had problems with cysts. I had to go to the emergency room a few yrs.ago because of the pain. They did all kinds of tests, except an ultasound. I didn't realize at the time that it was probably a cyst. My sister finally had to have an hysterectomy because all of her cysts and the pain. But that's how I learned the way of detecting Cysts, through an ultrasound.that was just my experience. Yours could be something totally different. Good luck.
Cat

well thanks for reassuring me, this is my first year to get ovarian pain, ever!! So it's all new to me, and I'm not even on birth control. the thing is I am due this week for periods, is it possible to ovulate, the week of your period? I am on day 27??? Thanks!!

Jessica
We women have a lot going on in our pelvis...not only does our pelvis contain our reproductive organs, but also part of our gastrointestinal tract.  It can be anything as simple as gas, constipation, spastic colon, etc.  But follow up with your doctor.  Like Catastrophia mentioned, not all ovarian cysts are palpable. (I bet most are not)

Anyway, good luck to ya and I hope you feel better!
i had an ultrasound to rule out any cysts ect, for my pelvic pain, it came up clear, well 2 weeks later ended up with a hysterectomy do to large ovarian cysts and a uterine fibroid. so its possible to have one even if the dr doesnt feel it, look at me for example.
I have had pelvic pain for about the past year that occurs the same time each month. It starts exactly 7 days from the beginning of my period and last 10-12 days. The pain starts on the lower right side and spreads through the mid pelvic area.  There is a lot of bloating and the pain intensifies each month as well as each day during the month.  I saw my gyn yesterday and he is puzzled.  He believes it is associated with my right ovary, but not with ovulation.  There is no spotting during this time.  I am scheduled for an ultrasound on Oct 10, which should be during the peak of the pain.  How anyone experienced or heard of such a condition?
i have been experiecing the exact same symptoms for the past 4 months, right side, starting on day 7, just as you described. I went to a gyno. he did an ultrsound and found some internal bleeding. he thought it was from a torn follicle, but that it would heal quickly. that was 4 months ago, and the cycle of pain has continued. i am going to see another doctor for a second opinion. hope your ultrasound provides some answers for you!
Get an ultrasound with an internal probe. I have ovarian pain and no cyst. Its a killer. After sex I have ACUTE pain. I had a cyst removed from that ovary but I have had pain on and off for 3 years now and it completely affects my quality of life. I am having the ovary out at the end of October.
I suggest you go to another DR and get the ultrasound. Are you seeing an Ob/gyn or GP? I recommend an ob gyn and a female if you can find one. A male ob/gyn is like having a mechanic who has never driven a car before.
I have been experienceing similiar pain....w/ the exception of time...mine is constant and annoying, accompanied by nausea and fatigue...I have had the ultrasounds and exams but "nothings wrong with me"
Being a woman can really suck sometimes!
I am still on my mission of finding out whats causing my pain and discomfort.
I have already had several cysts removed and cervical cancer as well..the procedures though uncomfortable are at least bearable. But unfortunately I dont seem to be having a repeat event so we are all stumped as to what it is exactly making me ill. They have even looked at my kidneys as a possible pain source. Have they looked at yours? Or your gall bladder? These 2 things can cause pain in the belly too near or around where ovarian pain would be.
Good luck to you!!!
Female reproductive organs & abdomens are sooo finicky!
hey im 19 years old and in the last few months iv been havin similer sort of pains im getting very worried hearing about cysts and hyterectomys i always have the pain on my rite side some days the pain is constant and lasts alday it feels like a very very painful period pain bbut on other days it can come and go very quickly in a short sharp pain apparently yesterday i passed out because of it im gettin very worried about it iv been puttin on going to the docters for a while now not wantin to make a fuss about it coz it probably nothin i just thought mayb it was something i ate im not due on my period for another 2weeks so it not period pains n i very rarely suffer from them i went to the docters today and im having a few tests tomorrow im absolutly terrified especially now it mite be something like a cyst and if they dont find it i cud end up not having any more kids iv already got one but i want lots more
Dear Mystic,  I have the same symptoms you had described earlier. I went to the clinic but only a pelvic exam was performed and no results, I am 23 years of age and have only began experiencing this this year,. It's not near my period.  I have done minimal research but have learned it is more likely to be pain from blocked intestinal region.
About 3 yrs ago I was having very painful ovarian pain. It would only be on my left side. It would feel like someone was stabbing me in my ovary. At times, the pain would be so bad I could not walk and if I would try I would hit the floor. It was the worst pain ever. I made an appt with a physician that specializes in things such as this. She examined me and said everything seemed to be ok but she scheduled an ultrasound for my left ovary. The results were as follows: My ovary was ok, my uterus lay back to one side and she didn't know why and said if the pain continues some of my ligaments may be torn and she may have to repair them. I was 22 yrs old at the time. At first we thought it was Endometriosis b/c of my family history and it wasn't. Yesterday and today I have had ovarian pain on my right side. I have never had ovarian pain on my right side. It's not as painful as the left side but it still hurts very bad. I wished the pain would go away. I got up to walk a few mins ago and I almost fell. It's just something I am going to have to deal with as all women do.
I just came from my ob/gyn.  I was there for severe pain in my lower right abdomen.  I had a cat scan on Friday to rule out appendicitis, and those kind of things.  Nobody can explain it.  I have a significant fibroid on the other side and no sign of a cyst.  

The pain is just like you have been describing-sharp and on my lower right, radiates to my back and down my leg.  I am glad nobody is rushing me to surgery, but I don't just want to be put on  pain pills and sent away.  This doesn't seem normal.
By the way, I forgot to mention, my ob doesn't seem to think the fibroid is the source of pain, since I have had is for several years and it is on the other side.....no pain now, but not looking forward to next month
I,ve been having pain in my right side for about 2 months and i haven't gotten a diagnosis.I've had an ultrasound done but nothing was found.The pain i have is on my lower right side and radiates to my lower back and down my right leg.I feel it all day and everyday , I don't know what to do. Im reaaly scared about it and i don't want it to be serious.Any answers?
Mystical,
I have had the same exact pain you are describing since July of this yr. I had my tubes tied in 1995 (after having my 3rd child) only to get pregnant in 2002. It was an ectopic pregnancy, so they removed what was left of my tubes. Since, I have had problems, but the worst started in July. It is SEVERE PAIN that starts on the left side(like someone is sticking a knife in you) which shoots down my left leg, back & whole abdomin (abdomen). I sometimes fall to the floor in pain & feel like I could vomit. My stomach swells also. My poor hubby & kids have to deal w/ this. The pain lasts on/off about 12 days!
Anyway, went for laparscopy in Oct. & my doc found endo everywhere & my ovaries were polycystic (which means they are full of sev. small cysts). She was unable to detect the cysts during previous exams or see them on an ULTRASOUND!!! Had a cat scan in Sept. and that is when they were seen. Only through laparascopy was she able to diagnose this for certain. So it is possible that you have small cysts on your ovaries w/o your doc feeling them or seeing them on an ultrasound. Maybe request a CAT scan of your abdomin (abdomen).
I have since been put on synthetic hormones-we'll see what happens. A friend of mine suggested I go to an alternative doc. to be treated w/ natural hormones. A last resort is a hyst(I am only 37).
Good luck & I hope you have found out what is causing your pain.
Kathy
Mystical,
Kathy
Mystical,
Kathy
Mystical,
Kathy
Mystical,
Kathy
Hey, at least you got your point across! hee hee
Mystical,
Kathy
SORRY my message posted all those times! When I was trying to post it- a message came back saying that it couldn't be done b/c the thread was too old? Something to that effect.
Kathy
Mystical,
Kathy
I've been reading all the posts about ovarian pain.
What I need to know... has anyone found anything over the counter or perhaps vitamins/minerals/herbs to help with the pain?

The pain is horrible.  I'm looking for some pain relief.

Thank you.
Tawrena

Thank you.
Tawrena

Thank you.
Tawrena

My messages keep getting rejected saying the topic is no longer active, or something like that.
Make sure you get an ultrasound. I had a large ovarian cyst surgically removed 3 years ago. I had 3 doctors tell me that WASN'T what it was until finally with the third doctor I demanded an ultrasound. Sure enough, the cyst was the size of a grapefruit!! If the 1st doctor wouldve listened to me and actually checked me for a cyst, perhaps it wouldn't have been so large and i could have avoided surgery! Doctors are wrong ALL the time...just don't give up!
i am 20 i have endometriosis i got it at 14....i also had huge ovarian cyst...lesions....its painful...i had surgery for it...but i still experience lots of pain in my ovarys...when i sneeze or cough or even laugh it pulls and i just buckle over until the pain fades away....i am always getting heat pads or patches i keep them on the spot i am having pain in..i leave them all day long...they really help to comfort me a lil..but as far as buying pain meds there is nothing really other than extra strenght tylenol..i have asked many pharmacist they all say the same thing...ibuprofen might work for you but im allergic to it.....but try heating pads...they do a lil bit to help...i hope u find something to help you & God Bless
I have been experiencing pain on my left side...I'll have days where I'm fine and then all of a sudden i have this sharp pain on the lower left side of my body..It will hurt so bad that I have to bend down to try and catch my breath... it here and there that i will have it..i guess every three two four days...i don't understand it..and also i havent had my period in a few months.. i have had no symptoms of pregnancy.. and i recently got a pregnancy test and it was negative.. i am worried i'm not sure what is going on.. i have lost some weight and some of my hair..please if anyone sees this comment please respond..id appreciate it...
I am 25 and have had 5 kids I have a 9 month old which was c section and I had my tubes tied. For the past week I have had severe cramping and on the left side which the pain moves around my sides to my back. I called the Doctor they cant get me in for a couple weeks because the Doctor who did my dilivery and tubal is out of town. They suggested me to take a pregnancy test it was Negative!!! Im not feeling myself always tired Im really worried it could be serious!!!!!!!!!
Hi im Donna ,
   Iv just come out of hospital today and my hubby found this page , iv goy a history of pain inovaries ,left hand side iv had cysts in the parst ,iv had them removed ,burst,bleed you name it ,any way iv been back in due to extreame pain on left side again and i had a scan today , no cyst nothing , but in so much pain ,they have basically said cant do nothing im so peed off ,i really dont know what it may be any ideas x thanks x
Hi there,
Although you are experiencing pain in the area of your ovary, your pain may actually be muscular in origin. What you are describing sounds like it may be a trigger point in your iliopsoas muscle. Your iliopsoas is a muscle that is the prime mover when you flex your hip (so walking can be quite painful). Trigger points are tender points in your muscle that are caused by increased tension in your muscle, you might have heard them referred to as "knots".  When active, they can cause radiating pain and cramping. Every muscle in your body can get these painful trigger points with improper posture or just increased tension, what causes them to become active/especially painful is different for everyone. There are a lot of muscles in that area of your body, so there are a number of possible diagnoses, either way, pelvic pain is not fun to deal with. Without an evaluation, it would be hard to say what exactly is causing this pain, but I would suggest seeing a physical therapist, especially one who specializes in women's health. You might be surprised at the amount of pain your muscles can cause, and how much help manual therapy to the area might be!

This can really go out to anyone with pelvic pain. I am not dismissing the fact such conditions as cysts, tumors, endometriosis, etc. are not a possibilities, and you should always rule these out by seeing a physician. However, if after treatment you still have pain, there are a number of issues causing your pain that a Women's Health PT may be able to alleviate.
Hi I'm alyssa. I'm 15 years old and i have been experiencing a very crampy and almost congested pain in my left ovary area since December.   Sometimes it suddenly hurts so bad i have to sit on the floor in a ball until it goes away. The area feels swollen inside but does not appear so outside. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm not sure its a cyst because i thought that that can't happen to someone so young?
Go see a doctor.  You should not be experiencing pain like that except perhaps during your period if you get severe cramps.
You describe as having it since December - has it been continuous?

Really, you should get an appointment as it could be any one of a dozen or more things causing it - perhaps something simple, perhaps something more serious, but you will never know until you get checked out.

I will say, once you hit puberty, you are very rarely Too Young to get anything - your chances may be less than someone of another age group, but the chances are still there - whatever your age.

Hope you get to a doctor and are pain free again soon.
im 17, and my stomach really hurts when i have my period. sometimes the pain goes all the way down my legs too. but lately ive been having pains on my left side. it hurts so bad. but it isnt everyday. it is completely random. it scares me though. people keep saying it could be a cyst. or a UTI. im terrified that something is wrong with me. i could be ovulating, but IDK! and im really afraid of having a pap..
-help?
i feel the exact same way only i had a hystorectomy he just  left my ovaries and left side still hurts alot all the way to my back im affraid to go back to same doc but dont have any therw to chooses from how long cani live like this . only hve inurnce 3 mor months what should i do?
Hi I have ovarian cysts one has burst b4, an the others come an go. I've also been on a period for 13 weeks on an off. I always bleed after sex I don't no what's up. Av had scans but they say cysts r fine but I can't hel but worry
I've tried neural therapy. I got my ovaries injected with novacaine. So far I'm fine. Or try lidocaine patches.
I have been dealing with right flank pain for a few months now.  Starts around rt. kidney area, radiates over ovary, down leg, and in my back.  Been going on a few months.  Got so bad 2 months ago, my husband took to me to urgent care.  They thought it could be kidney stones, but were unsure. They of course sent me to hospital to have a CT.  CT results were that I had bilateral cyst.  But the doctor said they are small and this shouldn't be causing the amount of pain that I am in.  This pain does seem to occur during my fertal week, around ovulation.  Pain woke me up at 4 this morning.  Pain so severe that I am feeling sick, running fever, and dizzy.  Pain has dropped me to the floor because it hurts so bad.   I use heating pad all the time, take vicodin, and muscle spasm pill to help with the pain.  I just want it to go away.  I am 33, have 3 kids.
I would get the exact same pain until one day I told my mother-in-law about it and she recommended sexual intercourse. I spoke to my husband about it and even though I was in great pain I tried it. It's a guarantee that your pain will pass.