WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Overly-sensitive Vagina
by jackrabbit12, Apr 20, 2009
I am worried I might have genital herpes.  I have been in a commented relationship for over six years and have been tested for STD's but after I had a baby a few years ago my private has been extremely sensitive. I have to use unscented everything, trim my pubic hair, take special care after I have sex with my husband, make sure I rinse off all the soap, not bubble baths, be toliet paper conscience, only pat it after a shower---none of this was ever an issue before. The littlest thing irritates me and if I scratch and break the skin.  Never had a blister, never more that one spot, heals in a day or two.  I start flipping out and thinking I have herpes.  I know it is ridiculous.  I am also in medical school and I think this may have something to do with it too.  Please pray that God will heal me.  Thank you.  Also, I would appreciate any advise. Also, I've had the Mirena IUD inside me for three years. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Member Comments (15)
by Pcogale, Apr 20, 2009
It could be the mirena or it could be something like a persistent low grade thrush infection that needs some antifungals.

You may want to see a doctor and get a swab.
by Pcogale, Apr 20, 2009
Forgot to mention - it may also be related to your hormone levels.
by jackrabbit12, Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for your advice.  I hope you are right.  This is driving me crazy.  I'll call and make an appointment.
by jackrabbit12, Apr 20, 2009
Great I can't get in for three months!! Anyhoo I looked all sorts of pics and read up on herpes and I have never had anything that looks like that. I think my IUD might just be causing me to have problems.  If you are anyone has any more advice I'd love to resolve this. Thanks
by dreamofme476, Apr 20, 2009
your symptoms sound similar to mine!! the drs thought it was herpes but I tested negative... the only thing I was positive for was yeast!!  (But not a vaginal yeast infection with the discharge, etc)

After sex I always have fissures towards the back part of my vagina!! They usually heal up when I put a topical yeast infection cream on them... and it started when I switched my BC to Yaz (but I dont know if that can be considered the cause)
by jackrabbit12, Apr 20, 2009
How could it be herpes if the test was negatve?  
I wonder how safe all this birth control really is?  I am having this IUD removed ASAP.
I think my biggest problem is picking at a spot and then making it itchy then making it sore.
Even if I do have it there is no cure and no side-effects except occasional outbreaks, but I'm going to get tested.
by dreamofme476, Apr 20, 2009
it wasnt herpes... they thought it was but my tests were negative.  

when you read all the side effects for BC, it makes things kinda scary... good luck wth the herpes testing tho
by keepquiet, Apr 20, 2009
you know whats really weird i'm going through the same thing right now.. minus the iud. i'm going to the doctors on the 28th so i will fill you in. in one of the other posts i had about my symptoms a women told me i might have something called "atrophic vaginitus" something about not producing enough estrogen and it makes the walls of your vagina thin out. i get a rash down there, it seems like whenever its moist or i did alot of walking that day, running around maybe your not airing it out enough. i never sleep w/ underwear on, take warm baths and the rash seems to go away. google "atrophic vaginitus" and see if you have any of the symptoms. hope i helped oh yeah... if u shave down there u might just be giving yourself ingrown hairs... also NEVER PICK ANYTHING! especially down there silly, its so fragile as it is
by jackrabbit12, Apr 20, 2009
I know my best friend said u can get an infection.  I will try the air out--i never do that. Do you mean no underwear and no pj shorts or pj pants.   I'll check out your other post.  I really think it has to be something with my hormones or something.  My private will get extremely dry or moist too.  I never had any problems before.  Thank you so much for posting.