WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
PMS with leg pain
by sweetmom, Nov 10, 2007
This is hard to describe, but a week before my cycle is due, I have a lot a pain in my legs and my whole body seems to suffer from extreme exhaustion that is not quite normal.   I am 38 years old.    Does anyone have this problem and if so, what causes this?
Member Comments (14)
by lovealwaysjul, Nov 10, 2007
I had same problem but I was pregnant. While at the pregnancy classes I was getting pains that ran down my leg. I went home and had a bath. When i got out of the bath I started bleeding. I had an emergency Ultra Sound which discovered that the placenta was peeling.

I would get a pregancy test taken right away in order to rule out pregnany. My son was fine. I seeked help right away. The doctor put me on bed rest and the placenta healed on its own. I was very lucky. It scared the hell out of me though so I took maternity leave.
by bugsoupster, Dec 10, 2007
hi

I have had this problem since I can remember prob very early teens, normally one leg at a time but sometimes both, on the first day of my period both hips kill and the pain is also normally in my thighs or lower leg, but leading up to my period it tends to be in the bottom of my legs(calves) or my thigh.

have been crying with pain before now and had to stay in bed in one position and just concentrate on the pain as that helps slightly.
also get symptoms sometimes when I’m stressed and if you check when you have the pain, the tissue just under the ankle bone on your foot may swell mine does every time.

do you know what this is? or how to prevent it/help it???
by Paranoid2, May 24, 2008
I have had an IUD for 2 1/2 yrs . I have been having lower back and leg pain to day is the first day. I feel crappy. Its to early to take a pregnancy test. I am not even late yet. I would be late on the 1st June. I normal don't get back pain. I don't want to be paranoid but with IUD I think I need to be cautious. Suggestions.

Thanks,

PARANOID. :)
by Selz, Nov 03, 2008
i have the same problem.  the lower part of my legs ache so bad that i cant sleep sometimes and it seems to be getting worse.  im completely exhausted and cant keep my self awake in the evenings.  i have two cups of black coffee to keep me up till at least 9pm but it just doesnt seem to help.  this all happens starts 10 days before my period.  my skin turns yellow and no amount of make stays on.  i just go straight back to pale and ill looking.  the list is endless but this leg pain, exhaustion and depression are the worst.  
by adance, Dec 26, 2008
I have a similar problem with awful pain in my right leg leading right up to my bum.  It's so bad I'm in tears with pain sometimes.  I also get bad mood swings and exhaustion - am trying the pill for these symptons, has anyone found this worked?
by helpme864, Feb 19, 2009
The pill will take care of the pressure in the legs.  Unfortunately I have been on the pill on and off for the last 6 years because my husband and I have been trying to conceive. No such luck yet.  But when my doctor had me on them until my husbands numbers came up I had no leg pain.  I have pain right now because I am off the pill, and husbands numbers look great.  Does anyone know if you can get the same leg pain if you are pregnant?
by GoldRainDrops, May 11, 2009
I dont get pms very often.. only every couple of months.. but when i do get it its really intense. Instead of cramps in my stomach like everybody else, i get them in my legs.. the backs of my thighs and calves and even all the way down to the soles of my feet.. usually both legs at a time but one is always worse than the other. sometimes its even in my hips and bum.. I'm the only person i know who gets these kinds of cramps and no one believes that they're menstrual..  i've been getting them since my period first started when i was 12.. i'm 19 now and they're just as bad as ever.. I've cried  because of it.. i even had to get picked up from school a couple of times.. I just wanted to make sure i was not alone and that it was somewhat normal.. it is right?
by Wrenbow, Oct 21, 2009
I'm so pleased to read that other people experience these pains in the way of that I am not alone!  I have been getting them for at least the last 10 years from my ovaries all the way down both legs - they havnt got any worse or better painwise just unbearable when they are upon me.  I do seem to get them for longer now than I used to ... from about day 16 of my cycle onwards nowadays - i'm 32 now.  It keeps me awake every hour on the hour at night if I dont remember to take a painkiller.  During the day I dont notice the pain as much unless I try to bend over in which case I often have to keep my legs straight somehow - but it happens more when I lay down and try to relax.  During the day I do notice a pain that appears related which I describe as something hitting my ovaries bluntly if I sit down to quick if that makes sense - it sort of catches me out!  Mainly I worry about the amount of painkillers I have to take but I just cant stand it for too long without them!  So does anyone have any ideas why this happens and is there anything we can do about it or do we just have to put up with it?  I am interested to know of anyone who has experienced this pain but found that it has stopped after having a baby?  I havnt had any children but something in me thinks it could help somehow you know like how people describe it helping if you suffer endometriosis - maybe this is nonsense and of course not the right reason to have a baby (haha) but just thought i'd put it out there!
by gigie869, Feb 18, 2011
i have been having the same intense leg pains for about 5 year. it gets so severe that i cant sit or even walk. i usually dont get stomach cramps, but it it is accompanied by back pain, weakness and fatigue. i am glad to know that there are other people that have the same symptoms....i dont feel as strange because none of my other friends can relate to the symtoms i have. i have no idea why it occurs, but i have found that when i exercise i have minimal to no pain. i guess the tissues are perfusing with circulation and lessens the pain. take care everyone