Women's Health Community
Pain after smear (pap test)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain after smear (pap test)

Hi all
Last week I had a smear(UK) test. Had loads before, no probs. but usually at hosp. First time at doc's. This time hurt so much! Nurse did it 3 times as she couldn't get in far enough as I am small. I was sweating when I came out. I am over 60 with 2 daughters so am not unfamiliar with having vaginal tests. Post menopausal. Went home and found I was bleeding. Stopped after a few hours but now having vaginal pain. It's now nearly a week, pain not eased  Anyone else had this? Has this wonderful nurse caused an infection?  Bottom of belly, all privates feel uncomfortable  but main concern is vaginal pain. Will visit doc when I can get appt. but feel really embarrassed having to tell her that her nurse (been there forever) a. Needs spectacles or, b. Needs to retire. Or, maybe, c. Is a sadist! Thanks, be really grateful for any comments.
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
5082295_tn?1371254511
I am also small & thats happened to me also. Ive had pain maybe a day or two (& they are even very gentle & use the smallest speculum they have) It could very well be an infection esp if it now hurts in the bottom belly & the pain hasnt eased any. Do you know if they used a metal one or a plastic one? The metal ones they reuse (some may not get cleaned right) the plastic ones they throw away & use fresh ones everytime. I would not worry about being uncomfortable about telling them bc it can end up serious, bc it may be a tear and something that couldn't be unavoidable. If they give you an attitude go somewhere else and be checked. Do not let it go..ive had a cousin get an infection from that & it took a bit to heal so better to find out now. Hope this help! Let me know what speculum they used also.
Blank
Thank you so much for your reply. I live in London, UK. Doctors are like a secret society here and tell you nothing! All the tests I see on the various communities mean nothing so I can't help. They don't even tell you what blood group you are!
So, no, as I was laying down, I didn't see and wasn't told what she used. It felt like an instrument of torture, that's all I know! Everything was hurriedly cleared away by the time I was dressed.
I will insist on an appt. tomorrow because, as you say, this could get nasty.
And you're right, I will tell the doc about her slightly deaf, shaky-handed, arthritic, at least 105 year old nurse. She saw some blood test forms in my hand and told me it was a shame she couldn't do it but they now send everyone to the hosp. Hurrah!
Will let you know what happens and will try to find out about the speculum.
Can't guarantee an answer here, she might report me to the  health police!
Many thanksx  
Blank
5082295_tn?1371254511
Oh my goodness! That sounds awful! Yeah they wouldn't get by w that in the U.S...that's funny..yea she may b a bit to old to do something so serious! Good wishes hope it works out for sure
Blank
Still hurting, have to phone doc  tmrw. Thought I'd let you know, had a letter today to say it's all clear, always a relief. Thanks for your support. Keep in touchx  
Blank
5082295_tn?1371254511
Well thats a plus...but sad to hear you are still hurting. Hope you can get checked very soon!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Women's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank