Pain in labia minora during period

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Pain in labia minora during period

I was just wondering if this is normal or not: during my period, if it's a heavier one, I sometimes feel pain in the "lips" of my vagina, like they're sore or swollen. They don't appear to be swollen though. I feel like this might just be due to the increased blood flow down there but it was especially bad this time (though I should add this is my first period in about 8 months - I went off birth control, but am going to go back on soon [I've never been pregnant]). Thanks for any advice!
When i had periods i got pain but it was more of an ache and felt like there was a weight hanging off my vagina LOL

It could be excess blood flow...makes sense cause women who get vulval pain experience it when they are aroused as the blood flow causes the pain...no one knows why tho.
Avatar n tn
YES! It is like a bruised feeling. No itching or burning just a real deep aching. I never considered it could be blood flow but it is so so uncomfortable! I have had a baby nearly 8 months ago and dont recall feeling this during or after my pregnancy when I had no periods. It's only come back now that I have cut back on breast feeding as frequently and my period has come back!! I can't find any answers to this, but it's good to know it's not just me haha!! Only thing that's helped slightly is the icepacks which they give you after you give birth.. You cut the side of your pad open carefully and put the small ice pack in and it's soothing. Helped with this too!! Don't know if that helps at all! :)
It's funny, my aching labia lead me to this forum. I'm gonna chalk it up to the increased blood flow. I experienced this during my last pregnancy too. (My baby is almost 8 months old) As of now, I only get this during the 1st day of my period. Feels like I slept in a pair of jeans all night...sooooo uncomfortable! Glad to know I'm not alone.

Thanks for the posts about aching of lady lips, increased blood flow makes sense. After having my son 5 years ago there have been some changes in my body, this increased sensitivity/awareness is one of the many. Glad to know I am not the only one to experience aching for the first day of my period.

Est
OK, so glad to know its more common than I thought. I have 3 children now and I don't know if it started happening after I had my first child or not, but probably around that time anyway. Its especially intolerable if I stand in one place for any amount of time. I had a friend who recently had her second child and when her periods returned she told me it felt like someone 'had given her a swift kick between the legs'!

Also, years before I had children a friend of mine (with two kids) told me she doesn't wear tampons because they make her feel 'crampy'. Now I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed a connection. Does the pain get worse when you are using tampons?
I also am only achy on days 1 & 2 (when it is the heaviest).  As most of you have already said ...I am glad I am not alone :)
Thank you thank you for posting this. Now I don't feel like a freak. I was worried I had herpes or something but no sores just the ache. Mommy of 2 and ugh sore with day one and day two of period. Thank you ladies!
My pain would be described as intense throbbing for the first few days. I take ibuprofen a lot and it really helps. Do you really think it is from blood fow? This problem started for me as I got older. I am 49.
Im having the same symptoms, I never used tampons. Sometimes it even hurts more when I have clots that are coming out. Im in pain while standing more than anything. And this time is only the left side. Is so annoying since we have to deal with bleeding, cramps, moods and now this.
I have a 21 month old. Still breastfeeding. Just got my fourth PP period today. My labia hurts so bad. I KNOW my pain was not like this with periods before pregnancy. It is more the left side than the right. I use soft cups during day and always Infiniti at night. The pain is the same with each. During pregnancy I had SPD. That was UNBAREABLE. This hurts to move, stand, sit...
I tried ice, I tried moist heat. I tried an Advil. I even called my doctor but they said if no fever to wait a few days and keep an eye on it. It does feel like an intense throb. A bruise on surface and deep in tissue.
Least we are not alone. Now someone tell me, is this what I will experience every period, or will it get better? Anyone find real relief?
I've had the pain in my labia during many (not all) of my periods both before and after childbirth. It feels like they are so heavy and achy, and definitely feels better if sitting. Standing is awful. My sister has experienced it too (before and after childbirth). If my period starts in the morning I get the labial ache later in the day for a few hours. I get cramps of varying intensity for the first two hours of my period. Today I have had bad cramps for the first two hours and now mild later in the day, but no labial discomfort. No rhyme or reason...
I'm a teen and I first experienced the pain last two years ago. I had my usual menstrual migraine attack plus a sudden pulsing in my labia minora (I was at school that time so my teacher brought me to the clinic). The nurse made me take a mefenamic acid but the pain still did not subside she decided to call my parents to take me to an OB-Gyne and my doctor said it was dysmenorrhea. o_O  It occurs every time I had my period and the throbbing increases the longer I walk or sit or stand that's why I have to change my position every once in while. It is really uncomfortable and just terribly painful.
I'm so glad I'm not alone that atleast makes me feel better. I take brufens and it helps abit and sitting what my work does not alow.. Crying....
2weeks prior to period my breats are rock hard and full of inflamation (inflammation) bumps and extremely sensitive and painful and dissapears when period arrives but is followed by this aching labia whilst standing....want to scream and cry. Started after 1st baby 15yrs ago...
Sometimes I want to be a man and believe me I am a proud woman.  Dolla
So glad to know that I'm not the only one. I'm also on day 21 of my period.. Is that normal?
That is just a normal thing. It isn't necessarily your labia but the general area causing an aching almost bruised feeling. I get it too. Perfectly normal.
I have been experiencing the same thing for about the past year and my youngest child is 9. It almost feels like i had just given birth again for about the first day or 2 of my periods. I've even had my tubes clamped. I wonder if there is a medical term for this?
lazycat333 I am a bit worried. Comment
1 hr ago
rockerac added the Exercise Tracker
rockerac is in search of happiness a... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals