Pain in lower left pelvic / ovary area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pain in lower left pelvic / ovary area

I am a healthy, active 31 year old with no children and no history of any significant medical problems.  For about three months, I have been experiencing pain in my lower left pelvic area, perhaps near my left ovary?  The pain is most intense during orgasm, but I also feel it during the day, sitting at my desk, walking around, etc.  During the day, it mostly feels like a dull ache -- hard to describe.  It just feels uncomfortable, almost like something is there that shouldn't be.  I had a pelvic ultrasound last week that did not find anything.  I was shocked.  I know my body and I can tell that something is off.  Has anyone else experienced this kind of shooting pain on one side during orgasm, and then a dull ache in the same area the rest of the time?
Do you find the pain is worse during your period? You could have some endometrial growths in that area which I don't think shows up on ultrasounds (only via laproscopy) but someone could correct me on that...
YES! I have been struggling with the same problem for about 2 years now. I ended up in the hospital for a few days and told me that I had an ovarian cyst that burst and released me. But the pain continued so they gave me a pelvic ultra sound, and found nothing, just like you said. If I were you, I would check out a Gastroenterologist because it could possibly be constipation causing your pain. Ever since I've been on medicine for it and watched what I eat, the pain has gotten much better.
I had the same thing almost and mit may be ovarian cysts in this case depending on what you eat they may pop which is perfectly normal, but it also may be fibroids but you still may want to pay a visit to your OB/GYN and talk to them about hey if you have to do a complete womans check just to be on the safe side
You may have endometriosis.  Six years ago, my pelvic pain started as a dull ache that started around my period and then got to the point where I had it every day and it was so excructiating that I felt like I was being scraped with a knife.  I also had pelvic ultrasound and an MRI scan and nothing showed.  My doctor suggested a laparoscopy because this is really the best way of diagnosing endometriosis.  He removed the endometrial implants that were causing me so much pain.  He told me that the reason the endometriosis didn't show up in the diagnostics was the location of implants.  

I recently started to have pain in my lower left pelvic region again and I feared that my endometriosis had returned.  My doctor put me on the birth control Yaz to help reduce the pain and length of my periods.  I also had another ultrasound that showed a functional cyst on my right ovary, but I have no pain on my right side.  Then all last week I had pain that felt like knives were scraping my insides.  I went back to see my doctor again today and I may have a cyst on my left ovary which could be the cause of the pain I am having right now.  

It's just so hard to deal with, not really knowing what is causing the pain.  

Good Luck,
Stacey

Thank you so much for all of these helpful responses.  I followed-up with my Dr. today and she suggested that I see a gastroenterologist.  She commented that there are alot of other things in that area besides my ovaries, so there's a good chance that it could be some kind of GI problem.  I guess I just never thought of that because I've never really had significant GI problems before.

I am also wondering about endometriosis, but I don't have particularly heavy or long periods.  Isn't that one of the main symptoms?  My pain doesn't really get much worse during periods either -- it's just sort of consistent.

I guess I just can't stand not knowing what's going on inside my body when I know for sure that something isn't right -- it's such a helpless feeling.  

Anyway, thanks again for the responses.  This is the first time in my life that I have ever posted anything on any website before, so it's nice to have such thoughtful responses.
Get another ultrasound from another medical facility! It sounds like ovarian cyst. Depending on the Ultra sound tech sometimes your ultrasound can be read wrong.
I have had the same exact symptoms you have had for the past four months, like you I had an ultrasound that came back normal and showing nothing.  Just curious if you found anything out from the gastroenerologist. Thanks
I have experienced that sort of pain also, it started out dull and then began to increase over a period of about a month or two. One night it became stabbing and I went to the emergency room. They did a scan and couldn't tell what it was, but my white blood cell count was through the roof. They ended up admitting me, and kept me for three days, with the help of heavy antibiotics I was able to skip the scope and leave after the three days. What It turned out being was an infection in my colon area, the pain increased because the infection was gettting worse.
I am going thru Endo cyst from last 5 yrs. Got Laproscopy and open surgery done - but it still exists!!! now i m getting myself treated thru Homeopathy.  the Pain with my back, legs, abdomen, bowel - i am really relieved!!! it will take me one more year for the medication course (2yrs. course) to complete and i can let you know the results.
Take care.