Pain starting 2 weeks after Novasure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pain starting 2 weeks after Novasure

18 days ago I had tubal ligation and Novasure ablation.  My abdomen was sore for several days and I had a watery pink/brown dishcharge which seemed to slow down after 10-12 days.  Except for the sutures I felt fine.  I had my 2 week follow up appt with my doc, who did a pelvic exam.  Since then I have had constant mild-moderate "cramping" and a bloated pressure feeling low across my abdomen from hip to hip.  Also, discharge became more red and am having some small mucous dishcarge now.  I don't have a fever, but the pain is really bothersome, though not debilitating.  It almost feels like gas pain with bloating, though I've had normal bowel movements.  I'm concerned I could have an infection.  Discharge is somewhat smelly, but not as bad as the first few days.  This is my fourth day with this new pain.  Does it seem normal?  How long should I wait to call my doctor?  Thanks, Jolene
I'd let him know now, just because the weekend will be approaching in a couple more days.  That way, if it's nothing at all you won't have to worry.

The d/c after a Novasure can persist for a couple of weeks.  You might still get a period too, at whatever time you normally expect one.  It should be vastly lighter, though.

I had the procedure last June, and I get a day or two of spotting at my usual time now.
I had a Novasure ablasion in January 2006. So, it has been 1 year. The procedure was uneventful. All went well. My periods were reduced to a "normal" flow as promised, for the first few months.

About 6 months ago, my period became almost non-existent. In addition, I experienced fairly substantial abdominal pain and bloating. The pain lies under my belly button, in the center, left and right. I can actually press on the areas and feel sharp pains.

I have been to my OB and had a complete exam, thinking that perhaps the blood was somehow trapped. The doctor says that there was no indication of this. Yet, monthly this pain persists.

The bloating makes me look like the early stages of pregnancy, my clothes don't fit for 5 days and the pain continues month after month with each period.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
I had endometrial ablation with novasure on 12/20/07. I had minimal staining after the procedure for a few days. Yesterday I started to have the same pain as Another woman described. The pain was first in my lower pelvis and pressure on the rectum. I too thought it was gas pain so I took Gas x and Motrin with some releif. Today the pain moved to my whole lower abdomen and around the belly button. All of a sudden I started to bleed heavily. I had an emergency ultrasound which showed alot of blood in the uterine cavity which the doctor said was unusual. I went for an in office vacuum suction of the cavity(not very pleasant) and I was put on antibiotics and Provera. MD said if this doesnt work I'll need an out-patient D&C in the amb surg center.Will keep you posted.
i had novasure done 16/11/07 same as i am experiencing strong cramps across lower abdomen and stomach slightly swollen my discharge has changed too a brown colour similar to end of period visited g.p today who said it is 3mnths till u know if procedure has worked dnt think i can cope with this  pain for that long have got no followup from hospital just too get re referred if symptoms of heavy bleeding comes bk
I had the Novasure and a tubal ligation on 12/7/2007, and I started experiencing horrible pain and cramps in my upper abdomin (abdomen) and lower abdomin (abdomen) after about 10 days.  My GYN called to check on me about 12 days after and said it was normal and probably would not stop until after I had my cycle.  Well, today is about 15 days and I was in so much much pain last night and this morning that I was dizzy, had nausea, and diareaha.  I had to sleep until about 12:00 p.m. and then I have napped off and on all day due to the pain. Is this normal?  I have spotted off on on for 15 days. My husband is concerned due to the fact that I had to sleep all day (this is worse than my menstrual cramps which are usually horrible).  Tylenol does not help (I took 1500 mg about 2 hours ago-2500 for the day).  I can't take motrin (on coumadin).  I am going to take the Roxicet I was given to sleep tonight.  Any suggestions, comments, same issues.....Thanks.
I had the Novasure and a Fibroids removed along with an D/C done on March 12, 2008 I haven't really had any problems except nausea and headaches along with runny bowel and this brownish discharge that smells it kinda reminds me of a period but its been constant since I've had the procedure done.I was told by my doctor no sex, baths or tampons for 6 weeks and I'm on week two and this discharge hasn't stopped yet did any one else experience this and if so when does it stop.
I had a Novasure ablasion and D&C Sept 07, for heavy bleeding,  and EXTREME PAIN.  My Gyn said I had thickening of the endrometrial lining and he removed, what he said to be, a big blood clot.  I felt so wonderful over the next few months.  Little bleeding during my time.  NO PAIN.  I was so thankful.......could actually carry on my life during this time of the month.  Now.....it's starting again....the pain.....can the lining thicken again this fast....can it be another clot?  I'm not really bleeding this month....but the pain is getting progressively worse...I don't want to go through this again.  What is going on here!!!!!  Any advise?
i just had the Novasure done on Tue. April 22, 2008 and I am unsure what to expect in the next few weeks.  I can say reading everything that has been said makes me wonder if I made the right choice.  I had it done due to fibroids, very painful period and heavy monthly periods.  I pray things go well and I will keep you ladies posted as the days go by.
I had my Novasure ablation recently on April 9, 2008.  I'm 52 yrs. old and have always had heavy, long-lasting periods.  I was hoping to begin menopause and be done with this, but I had a period the first of 2008 and it just wouldn't end.  I was on birth control medicine temporarily before finally having the endometrial ablation done.  My dr. did a D&C along with the ablation.  All went well and my dr. said it was a "textbook" surgery even though my uterus cavity is larger than normal.  Recovery went as expected.  I went in for my two week follow-up (expecting an internal exam, but not) and my dr. just asked how I was.  I was honestly fine.  But, as Murphy's Law would have it, I started spot bleeding the day after my office visit.  Few days into a little bleeding, I'm now having bad abdominal/pelvic cramping.  I came to this website looking for answers.  I, too, am wondering if I just spent $7,500 for a procedure that will leave me still needing a hysterectomy later on down the road.
I too had an endometrial ablation in 12/05.  Had the normal discharge for weeks to follow.  Periods got much much lighter, but still get one every month.  Over the last year, the monthy cramps started to come back.  About every other month I am experiencing lower abdominal and right-sided pain that is getting worse and worse while not having my period.  Then when I do have it, the cramps are pretty severe again!.  

I have had several doctor visits with my primary care dr and my OB-GYN dr. also over the past year.   Had several pelvic u/s and a few CT scans.  It keeps showing that I have fluid in my uterus and they say I may have had a right-sided cyst that ruptured.   I am getting so frustrated with not feeling good with the constant pain and feeling like I am getting blown off by them, and that kind of sucks, as I worked with these dr's for 17 years.  I was thinking of a second opinion very soon, and the pain started last week Thurs and is still going on.

I called my normal dr.  one more time today and got referred to see OB-GYN and luckily got in right away.   We chatted again about it all, had an internal exam and have an u/s scheduled for tomorrow now.  

He mentioned that he gets studies in the mail about 3 x a week at home that he reads over from some thing dr's join and it has been on ablations lately.  He related to me that the study suggested that with the ablations they can only do the procedure so far, as not to injure other organs.  They are now finding out in some studies that the disease that is treated by the ablation is actually into the tube areas and that cannot be treated up that far with the ablation procedure -  they are finding out that is where all the pain is coming from and now, on those particular ppl studied.  At this point, he is not saying I have that right now, but have the u/s tomorrow and will go from there.

It hurts still and its a week along AGAIN.  So we will see what's next.  Just wanted to share a NovaSure ablation story also.    
I am considering having the Novasure ablation procedure, but concerned with all the negative comments I've read about people experiencing pain, heavy periods, etc.  Have you had any complications?  Do you feel the procedure was worth the risk>
I had the Novasure ablation Feb. 08.  I have had a period every month since then but not heavy.  The last one I had was only 3 days and very light.  That I am happy about, but my feet keep swelling up as if I was 9 months pregnant.  It is the worst if I am sitting up.  Does anyone else have this problem since the surgery.
I had the Novasure procedure in 1/2007 because of excessively heavy periods.  Then approximately 3 months later I began having extremely painful cramps with only brown spotting.  My doctor put me on Yasmin to control the bleeding which was supposed to control the pain.  That did not work and in March of 2008 I changed doctors (a female this time).

She immediately knew what had most likely happened when I mentioned that I had the Novasure procedure performed.  As a result of having the procedure I am looking at having to have a hysterectomy.  She is awaiting test results and we will discuss it further.

I have to say "No" to the Novasure procedure.  It's not worth it.

I  had the procedure in April 2008. I am cramping and bleeding several times a month with very weird discharge.  I am so confused about this procedure because my period are lighter but the cramps are worse than you can imagine so bad I have been unable to sleep some nights.
I told my doctor at my one month checkup and she acted like we would not be able to tell for several months, but I feel like the procedure not the miracle it was made out to be. I think this procedure is a big time money maker for these doctors (90 seconds) think about the money they charge for 90 seconds..... so as soon as they find someone that this the first thing they suggest.... Be careful out there....
I had the Novasure procedure in March 2008 and I never had spotting between periods but now I am. I don't think it has helped much with my heavy periods. I still have cramps maybe even more then before!  I don't think that I would recommend this procedure to anyone!
I started this thread 1 1/2 years ago.  Here is how my story played out:

I continued to have light/mod periods, much more regular than before the procedure.  2 weeks after my post op I went back to the doc because of the pain and thought I might have an infection.   She saw no obvious evidence of infection, but decided to play it safe since I'd just had the surgeries, and I was put on antibiotic.

Every 4 weeks I had a light period, but it could go on for days.  The abdominal pain became worse and more intense with each cycle.  In June 2007 I went back to my doc.  She told me it was possible I had developed adenomiosis (adenomyosis) (google it).  She said that they didn't see any smoldering endometriosis when the did the tubal ligation/ablation.  She did suspect my left ovary was causing some problems because of the way it looked and it's position when they did the surgery.

She explained adenomiosis (adenomyosis):  The uterus has basically 3 layers;  the outer is the uterine muscle, the inner is the endometrial lining, and in between is this "adeno-something" layer which are tiny glands that grow the endometrial layer each month.

When they do the ablation they aim to destroy the endometrial layer and this adeno or grower layer.

Sometimes, in a few instances, these adeno grower gland things have already migrated into the uterine muscle.  If this has happened the ablation procedure does not and can not reach and destroy these grower glands.  

Post ablation result:  The adeno gland things are still inside the uterine muscle, growing endometrium and causing havoc/pain each month; scar tissue from the ablation may have sealed up this area, so the newly grown endometrium has no where to go.

My result:  Partial hysterectomy and left oopherectomy Nov 2007.  The pain got worse and longer each month, to the point I thought it might actually kill me by making me have a heart attack or something.  I've never experienced pain like it except during childbirth.  It lasted for days at a time.  Narcotic painkillers wouldn't touch it.  Between periods I was relatively pain free.

Post surgery:  Pathology reports indicated I did have adenomiosis (adenomyosis) (it can ONLY be diagnosed by slicing up the uterus, there is no test for it), endometriosis (which they either missed during 1st procedure or it developed really really quickly), and a 7 cm cyst on my left ovary which showed signs of a previous rupture.  God, no wonder I was having so much pain!

I'm doing really well now.  The hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did.  I have one ovary left, so I don't need to do hormone replacement.  My doc says ovaries are kind of like kidneys, when one gets taken the other one sort of kicks in and takes over.

I think the Novasure procedure is like any other procedure.  It works well for some and not for others.  I don't regret giving it a try and I wish it would've worked.   I also think that for the most part, those of us who visit these websites are the ones who maybe didn't have a great result and are still suffering.  The people who had a great result are getting on with different aspects of their lives because this chapter closed for them.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you find the relief you need.  The mom
WELL, BACK IN NOV. 08' I HAD THE NOVASURE AND A TUBAL. THE RECOVERY WAS NOT BAD AT ALL. I WAS BACK TO NORMAL STUFF IN 2 DAYS. ANYWAYS, I DO NOT HAVE A PERIOD AT ALL ANYMORE, THO I HAVE SYMPTOMS EVERY MONTH (BLOATING, CRAMPING, MOOD SWINGS). THE BIG PROBLEM THAT I HAVE HAD IS A YEAST INF. THAT HAS CONTINUED ON UNTIL NOW. I HAVE ALSO HAD BACTERIAL INF.  I HAVE BEEN TO OB/GYN SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE TAKE COUNTLESS NUMBER OF MEDS. IT WILL HELP FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND THE MISERY COMES BACK. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH HAVING THIS DONE OR NOT, BUT I DID NOT BEGIN THIS PROBLEM UNTIL THEN. ALSO, ON MY LAST OB/GYN VISIT, HE TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED TO HAVE A PERIOD & IF I DID NOT HAVE ONE REAL SOON THAT HE WANTED TO PUT ME ON SOMETHING TO MAKE ME HAVE ONE. WELL, I THOUGHT THAT IS WHY I HAD THIS DONE???????? BUT HE SAID THAT IF I DID NOT HAVE ONE FOR SEVERAL MONTHS THAT IT COULD CAUSE CANCER. IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM OR THINKS THAT THEY MIGHT KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THIS IS DESTROYING OUR SEX LIFE, AND I HAVE TERRORIZED WITH THE PAIN AND ITCHING. OH! YES, ONE MORE THING. I HAVE BEEN HAVING BLADDER PROBLEMS TOO! PLEASE, HELP!
***@****
I am thinking of have the Novasure done. I dont have any cramping. Just extemely heavy periods that last quite a while. Has anyone had cramping after who never had it before. How long can you resume you "love" life after?
just had the novasure done on Monday June 9th 2008. I had it done because of heavy menstrual periods that kept me home and my whole life was beginning to revolve around my periods...I work from home so really didn't realize how bad it was until I finally realized I would never be able to hold down a full time job outside the home with all the days I would probably be missing! I have to say all of these posts I am reading are kind of scaring me, but I am hoping I made the right choice and that the procedure works for me. I am 45, have three grown kids and had a tubal ligation 20 years ago. I never had much pain or cramping  with my periods, just alot of bleeding. I'll keep you posted on my progress and hope that you can make a decision that will be right for you. The procedure itself was fast, they put me under anastesia and i came home and felt great!  I forced myself to relax and watch some movies, its now approx. 48 hrs later and I feel great!!! I'm looking forward to actually going on vacations and camping and not worrying about where the closet restroom is every 30 minutes!
I had the NovaSure procedure done on May 2 2008. I might have to call my doctor tomorrow because I am bleeding again.  After the surgery I had light spotting for about a week but as I got into the second week I started bleeding a little more but not any where near like I used to before the procedure. It last for about 5 days and never got real heavy but just didnt seem to want to stop.  When I would walk or do something I could feel a gush but not anything real heavy as I have experienced before.  However, the only way I could get this bleeding to stop was to stay off my feet for a whole weekend.  Through Sat the 15th of May to Sunday the 16th of May I made myself do nothing and stayed on the couch or in bed, it completely stopped.   All was fine, I moved the last weekend in May and I thought I was okay.  Well Monday night, June 9th I started bleeding again.  It is now Wed night and it is heavier and red.  I will call the doctor tomorrow to see if this is normal.  All of my friends who have had this procerdure haven;t had a period since.  I should be so lucky as to have this problem.  I am wondering if the doctor did something wrong?  
I had the Novasure three weeks ago for heavy bleeding and anemia.  I am 46 and have had two prior laparotomies to remove excess scar tissue following c-sections. The Novasure procedure went well and I had little pain and almost no discharge afterward, although did notice a lot of bloating and some weight gain.  

However, yesterday I experienced a "gush" of a lot of pinkish fluid that I can only describe as breaking water in pregnancy as my pants were soaked.  Then severe abdominal pain began which literally made me double up. After a second gush I went to the ER and had an ultrasound.  Was told that fluid is building up behind scar tissue and releasing sporadically (no kidding), uterine contractions to expel these pockets were probably causing the pain.  They offered another D&C but being concerned about even more scar tissue forming, I declined.  

So now I'm at home on painkillers waiting for the next fluid pocket to burst - back to doubling up on overnight pads!  I'm hoping though that this will ease up as healing continues.  I would say that if it weren't for this complication - which may be due to my scar tissue problem in paticular - the Novasure is worth it as I'm no longer anemic.
I had a tubal ligation almost 2 yrs ago.  Due to extreme bleeding and pain, I had a Novasure 5 months ago.  I have experienced weight gain, mood swings, painful sex, discharge and bloating.  I have nausea and bloating after every meal.  I look like I could be 4 mths pregnant.  I searched the web with my problems, because I actually feel like I could be pregnant or having gallbladder issues.  Is anyone else experiencing these problems.  I made a dr appointment with my PCP, but I wonder if I should be seeing my GYN.
I have a discharge everyday since the procedure. I did not have one before. I wish I would have just put up with the cramps I was having instead. The discharge is yellow and waterly. The doctor don't seem to have a answer. I am going  to a new doctor on the eighteen of August.m I had the proedure done on Sept 17,2007 and still discharging.
I had my ablation on July 21, 2008 and I am experiencing the same things; the cramping and pain, nausea and gushing of blood - especially when laying flat (mostly around the early morning hours before waking up) and it's only been 3 weeks since the surgery.  I am hopeful that this will go away soon because I would like to go on with my life.  I, too discharge everyday and have never done that before.  I understand that I had my uterus lining burnt and that some healing would have to be taking place but I am not looking forward to regretting my decision to have this procedure done.  We can only hope that thing progress in a good direction eventually.
I had Novasure a little over 2 years ago and it was a lifesaver. I was getting a 7 to 14 day period very 7 to to days....it was awful. For the first 3 months I had a discharge which lessened as time went by and abstained from sex until it was completely gone....lets face it, that meant I was healing internally and didnt need any "foreign" gunk giving me a potential infection...thats my best advice there. Ladies, Im not sure if you were told - and yes I realize this is not everyone's issure here - but your will still go through all the monthly motions of having a period (bloating, cramps, mood swings) except the bleeding and Novasure was NEVER guarenteed to stop all bleeding, it was meant to significantly decrease it......the complete cessation is just an added bonus. In the 2 years I have has 4 days of that "brown ookie last day of your period discharge" and thats it, Im so lucky.
Also from what I have been told & part experienced:
1 - Sometimes there is no gurantee it works the first time
2 - You should not have thins done if you have fibroids
3 - Some Dr's are NOT doing the abalation long enough. Its SUPPOSED to be approximately 90 seconds (mine went 2 minutes) but some are only doing 60 so maybe this is an issue ?
4 - You will continue to get female issues....cysts, cramps, yeast infections etc., this is NO cure for all that.
5 - Last bun not least DONT ****** to get rid of the goop, you will almost gurantee yourself some kind of infection. Let your body heal....trust me, you dealt with a bloody mess for this long you can go a bit longer.

Good luck to everyone !!
I had Novasure procedure done on October 3 2008. I have had barley any cramping and only bled the first day but now I am having major pain in my right side where my ovarie is and bladder control issues. My doctor said I had cysts before the surgery and now I am wondering if that made them worse I called the doc and he said I probably have an infection and put me on antibiotics and scheduled me to come in in 4 days. Has anyone else had issues like this???
Has anyone else had incontinence after the Ablation?  I had the procedure 11/4 along with my tubes tied.  The next day I couldn't urinate so I had to go in for a cath to drain my bladder.  Since then I have been "leaking".  Doesn't happen with a sneeze or laugh, it happens perdioically throughout the day and night.  After the nurse checked with the doctor she said they never heard of this happening after an ablation.  I have an appt with the nurse pract.  on Friday (same one who did the cath) because the doctor is out of town.  I'm afraid of being written off so I've been searching the internet for cases like this, but I haven't found anything.  Any advice, please?
I had Novasure and bilateral tubal ligation on Halloween of this year. I cramped severely for the rest of the day I had my surgery on, but woke up the next day literally pain free. I was totally pain free and only had the watery light brown/clear discharge up until a few days ago. Since about 3 days ago, I've been having pain that feels like it's getting progressively worse with each day, and my discharge is no longer watery, it's got consistency to it and yellowish in color. I can feel mild pain just sitting here while I'm not moving now, and it's much worse when I cough or when I first sit down or walk--maybe from the pressure of the thuds. I'm reading here that this has happened with others, but I am sooo not looking forward to this if it's going to be like this all the time. I didn't even have painful periods before, just super heavy ones. I'm not even due for my period until the end of this month or beginning of January, so I have no idea what I'll be in for until then since I just had this done about 2.5 weeks ago. I wish I could've just had a hysterectomy instead now and then I would have nothing to worry about. At what point, if this stays problematic, do they perform a hysterectomy due to failed ablation?
I had the mine done 11/14/08.  I had hardly no pain, just felt "blah" for a couple of days after.  No bleeding the first 2 days after, then stood up on third day and whoosh.. all came running out. Since, I have had constant, steady bleeding and now this what looks like cottage cheese clumps mixed up in the blood.. has anyone else had this?  
I had Novasure ablation in Sep of '08. Since then I have had 3 heavy periods with large blood clots passing through which was the original reason for having the ablation. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in 2 weeks. I would choose a hysterectomy if you can. I for insurance reasons had to go the other route first but seems like it was a waste of time. I know the ablation works for some people but it did not help me which I do not blame my Dr. Good luck to everyone.
I had the NovaSure ablation on 12/24/08.  Was fine the first 2 days, with only mild spotting.  Suddenly, on the 3rd day after surgery all broke loose!  Have had heavy bleeding since, with a few clots, having to change an overnight pad every hour or two.  Also had chills and pain in my left ovary last night.  Have a call in to the doctor, but of course he is out for the holidays.  Will follow-up.
All I have to say is, "Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!!!" I had an Novasure ablation in Jan 2008. My period did get alittle lighter (I guess) but nothing to brag about. I started having stomach pain in July??? To make a VERY long story short.....the pain became so severe that I had every test known to man kind done. They couldn't find a thing wrong. My Ob/Gyn just said it's probably Endometriosis. She put me on the pill and said to wait 4 months. I thought I was going to die. I, finally, went to go get a second opinion. My new Gyn scheduled a laparoscopy asap. Come to find out the I was bleeding internally, fallopian tube had burst, and my uterus, intestines, and bladder were all adhered together from the bleeding. I ended up having a 5 hour emergency hysterectomy and was in the hospital for 4 days. What a mess!!!!! I guess the Dr. who did the ablation missed the corners of my uterus and I scared up everywhere except there. I was still having periods until it eventually scared up shut and then had no where to go but up and out my fallopian tube.I guess this is a possible complication from the procedure and there is a low % of risk....BUT it happened to me. The way I see it, unless you have other issues, don't do this procedure if you are just having (somewhat) heavy periods and cramping. Just get a hysterectomy or ......anything else. It was not worth what I have been through.
I had the Novasure Ablation on August 30, 2008. All went well - I had the normal recovery time of a couple days laying around on the couch, and a fair amount of discharge for about a month following. After that, my periods were very light - minimal bleeding that lasted maybe 2 - 3 days. Just last month I experienced excruciating abdominal pain during my period. I didn't really realize what it was from, so just kind of dealt with it. This month when I was due to get my period, the pain came back even worse. I haven't really bled at all this month - it's been brownish gunk, but no blood. The pain has been unbearable - so I called my OB to ask what could be wrong - they scheduled me to come in NEXT WEEK!! So, I have been taking the pain meds from when I had the surgery to try to make life and work bearable. My pain started under my belly button, but has since grown to include a large portion of my entire abdomen area. After reading all of the entries, I am very nervous of what my dr. may find. I understand something has to be done, I can't go on like this month after month - yikes! Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing their stories, at least I know where to start now. For those who are considering a Novasure Ablation - it may work great for you - there are always quirks in every procedure.
I too had the Novasure procedure on 9/2006 because of heavy bleeding.  Everything was okay at first, light spotting every month.  But for about a year now I have had severe cramping every month, I blow up like a balloon and look pregnant and have a smelly discharge.  I can't lose weight and it really stinks.  I know I am in 43 but this is crazy.  I do not recommend this to anyone.  Oh ya, my doc says that everything is fine.  I'm going back next week because it isn't.
Don't do it!!!  I can't believe how this proceedure has messed me up.  I had the NovaSure done in July of 2007.  The proceedure was terrible, I felt incredible pain as the HUGE instrument was put in me.  It felt like a scrape on your knee that someone was pressing a metal knife on.  Anyway, I could not go through with the pain and the machine would not seal because my uteris is tipped.  So, my doctor sent me home and scheduled an appt. to have this done at his surgery center and put me totally out.  We did that and things went fine.  Recovery was ok.  But here is the problem....Within 30 days I had such pain around my period date that I was ready to check myself in to the hospital.  It was like contractions, you could feel it coming and the painful gas would move through your body.  As others mentioned, and put pressure on your rectum.  I am telling you there is nothing like it.  The pain in sooooo incredible.  I would roll in bed, on narcotics and it would not supress the pain.  I would sit in the bathtub, use heating pads etc.  Truly for 3-5 days, I was unable to work, etc.  

The doctor started to give me lupron shots which force you into menopause.  I did not like this at age 40!!  The side effects of this medication are not good, but the pain was now gone.  After 4 months of this injection, I switched to deproprovara.  That is now working and I have not had a period since November of 2007.  

I think we should have a class action law suit against this company.  The pain and suffering I endured is something that I will never forget.  Now I have to pump my body with medication to not have a period.  My other option is to get a complete historectomy.

Please really consider this surgery before you do it.  I thought it was nothing.  Boy was I wrong!!
This is unreal...I got up here hoping to have noone with the same symptoms but unfortunetly we are all in the same boat! I just had my ablation and tubal done last Thursday due to NONSTOP periods (not heavy). That day was absolute HELL, the next day was a little better but my left side started cramping I couldn't stand or walk for long periods of time because I would hurt worse and the pain meds they gave me did nothing for it. By Sunday I was no better and now having sharp stabbing pains that would bring me to my knees for quite a few minutes and take my breath away. I went in Monday morning to my GYN and he tapped on my abdomin (abdomen) and did a pelvic and said everything was healing fine if the pain persisted or got worse to call him or go to the ER. Today is Wednesday and I feel no better and had to go back to him today for him to tell me the same thing. As far as my discharge that hasn't been bad, a few gushes from time to time but the pain is the worst part of it. I am a little pissed at this whole situation because i have a huge dr bill now and from the way it sounds could still potentially face a freakin hysterectomy!! What the Hell  !!!!!  
I just had mine done on Aug. 07, 2009 in which I was on my period when it was done. The first 2 weeks just some "stinky" discharge, but on Friday (3rd week) I started getting cramps but I thought maybe caused I exercised that day it was hurting a bit. I took 2 Midols and thought nothing of it. Saturday morning I started my period. I am not talking about a light period either. Monday I called my Dr. and he said that it was normal. By Monday evening while I was at football practice with my son, the cramping was so severe that I almost went to the emergency, but I took some pain killers. I could feel the blood "gushing" out. I've never felt so Gross! Today is Tuesday and I am still bleeding! WTF?! I don't know what to do. I have my follow-up appointment on Sept. 3rd. I soooo regret doing this!!! I've never had 2 periods within weeks of eachother.
I had the NovaSure procedure in the office on 9-22-09 and it was awful! The doctor gave me valium, 2 lortabs, and an injection for pain but it did not phase me. She went ahead with the procedure which was miserable to say the least. When she was done, she said she had never had anyone go through as much as I did and in that much pain. After a few minutes, the pain subsided and I was able to go home. Within an hour of going home I started hurting again. The only way I know how to explain the pain was it felt like a contraction when you are getting ready to deliver your child that did not ever let up. We called the office and they told me to take two more lortabs which did not do anything so they sent me to the hospital. Things just continued to get worse. They could not get in touch with the OBGYN on call and the hospital staff had never even heard of Uterine Ablation therefore they did not know how to treat me. After several hours of excrutiating pain, they finally gave me two doses of morphine which helped get it under control and then sent me home with percocets. I have to say I slept for the next two days from the drugs and here I am on the 4th day and I am still having some mild cramps and some back pain for some reason but I do feel much better.
They never could tell me what happened or why I felt so much pain. I do think something happened but I guess I will have to wait and see what comes of it....
Think  twice, heck three times before agreeing to having this procedure done...especially in the office!!!
I had the Novasure procedure on September 23rd, so it's been one month.  Prior to the procedure, I had been having 2 perios (periods) each month for 2 years (I'm now 43).  I am completely surprised that some of you women had the procedure done in the office.  Although I did read that was an option, my doctor did it as outpatient surgery and I was completely out.  I am so sorry you had to go through that!  I had terrible cramps for about 4 hours after the procedure and loved my heating pad.  I didn't have much trouble at all after that.  I don't know which of my 2 periods each month was my 'real' period, so I had no idea when to expect my next period.  I do still have the 'weeping' and hope that it's over soon.  Maybe I'm having a period now, pinkish discharge, I'm just not sure.  I am also having cramping, it's been about a week but not constantly and my doctor explained to me this might happen, as my uterus has been traumatized (for lack of a better word).  Other than those things, it has been good.  I have not had any problems at all so far.

I go back to the doctor mid-November for a check up. I am very happy right now with my decision to have the procedure. I was a complete mess having a period every 2 weeks.  Even if I go back to having a period, if it's just one a month I will be so very happy.  

Just talk to your doctor, read the information they give you and ask lots of questions.  Again, it's only been on month, so it's possible I'll change my mind in the months to come- but for now, I'm happy with my decision.
I had the a D&C and the Novasure procedure one week ago. I was just checking websites to see if it is normal to have some watery pink discharge after and see that is appears to be very common. After reading all these entrys, this now has me alittle worried. What will be my results down the road? Has anyone had a good experience with this procedure?

Jbonz
I am scheduled to have the NovaSure procedure done in December.  I am now very worried about my decision.  Perhaps this is not the right thing for me, especially since I had my Biopsy for the procedure today and it was so painful.  I was in so much pain for 15 min after the Biopsy that I thought I was die.

What am going to do now with all these horrifying testimonials?
i had this procedure done on 11/24/09 and so far i'm doing great. i had it at my local hospital as an outpatient procedure and when i woke up i was crampy, which they medicated me for, and within a couple hours i was on my way home. as of today i woke up completely pain free and have only had a little bit of spotting. i am keeping a journal to track how i do daily so if anything changes i can call my doctor immediately. i'll let you know if anything changes as well but i'm hopeful that this will be a success for me.
I had the procedure 09/23/09. To this day I am still bleeding. I've been bleeding non stop since Nov 20th. Before the procedure I had very heavy bleeding. To the point when I stand after sitting a while the blood would run down my leg, and this would happen with a pad and tampon on. Since the procedure in September I have been spotting off and on. More on than off.
I had the Novasure procedure done a yr ago the 18th of Nov, it was all fine and good  no period at all unitl 3 months ago I started with  the symptoms of my monthly , breasts tender for over a week , bloating,  the bleeding is very minimal  more on the lighter side at times, but I have severe painful cramping only on my left side in teh pelvic region it can be debilitating it does also at times move across the bottom of my stomach the pain grips me like  a twisted muscle and it seems connected with my rectum  I went to the Er 2 months ago they said I was fine I had a tiny cyst on my other ovary my Gyn told me its nothing to worry about  but I am suffering  each month the cycle has me in a whole other place  If anyone out there has a  answer  or is in the same boat  Plz tell me

Thanks,
Amber
I also had the Novasure ablation done in August 2009 and it was for very heavy bleeding, and pain with an MRI and biopsy that indicating adenomyosis.  I am 42, and I have three kids.  My doctor told me ahead of time that the only cure for the adenomyosis is hysterectomy or menopause.  He did feel I was a good candidate for the Novasure based on the thought that all the heavy bleeding that would sometimes go on for over a month was also the cause of my pain.  The ablation did the trick as I have never had a period since the procedure, but I do still know when I have my cycle, and I have severe cramping all the time!!  I am on pain medication but it doesn't do much, and I've been to the ER once so far.  I want to go every night it gets so bad.  I am booked for the DaVinci hysterectomy on Jan 20th.  I am a mess with no quality of life right now.  I lay on a heating pad all day and night.  I hope this upcoming surgery will give me some relief and I agree with a lot of the other women who posted that Novasure is a money maker, and should never be done on a lot of us!!  Especially now I here everyone saying it can make adeno much worse!!
I also had the Novasure ablation in July 2008. I had been having extremely heavy and frequent periods for almost a year. Within two months I was having very light periods that required only a pantyliner for 2-3 days. I wish I could say all has remained as glorious as I felt initially. In about six months I began to get cramps that have gotten progressively worse and debilitating. In the past 7 months I am bedfast or pacing for 2-3 days. It feels as if my body is trying to expel something that is just not able to be expelled. It is like labor without a happy ending. I have never had painful periods such as this in my life. It feels as if something is definitely wrong inside of me. I am reporting this to the FDA and would caution other women to thorougly research this procedure prior to having it done. I would have elected to have hysterectomy had I done the same. This company should be held accountable too and this is an area I plan to pursue.
I just went through the novasure surgery on Jan.19,2010, It has only been a few days after my surgery, the bleeding has stopped but the pain is worse then it has ever been. I work as a Janitor and I can barely move to clean my own house how can I do my job to?.  I called my Dr. and he said I needed to give the uteris time to heal.  The Novasure probably irretated the fibroid tumors that I have.  Which he did not remove.  I also was told that I have PCOS, and endometriosis.  But because I am on medicaide and they would not pay for a hystarectomy I was told I needed this surgery first.  Now I wonder was it the right thing to do?
had  the novasure done on the 22-10-09, due to heavy and prolonged periods. was asured by ob that this would sort out all my probs, work for about 2 months bleeding has got lighter but oh my god the pain is killing me. i cant go on with this pain every month nothing im doing is making the pain stop. i cant sleep if ido manage to fall asleep te pain wakes me up. im going back tp my ob i am not moving from his office untill he does something. he never told me about any side effects he insisted that there would be none all i can say is he lied.
I had a NovaSure three years ago. It was a complete success until a few months ago. Now I am having horrific cramps overs the days I would normally have a period. The cramps are so painful that I cannot walk and am now taking Vicodin, as ibuprofen and naproxen don't touch the pain. My pain is below the navel and is worse than the cramps I had before the ablation. No bleeding just terrible, nonstop cramping.

I had a D&C, Polypectomy and Novasure ablation on 5th Feb 2010 under a LA as a hospital day case. It was awful..  I came on my period an hour before the procedure so thought that had probably added to the pain until I read these comments. When the Dr opened the "wand" you could have pulled me off the ceiling.. I was assured that the anaesthetic / pain killers etc would to a certain degree help - they didnt. The Dr came up to see me and another girl who had just had the procedure done (by the way the machine "broke down" during her procedure and she had to have it done twice.. He seemed amazed that we both had severe abdominal pain after!, and asked the nurse to get us some pain killers.  An hour later I nearly passed out on the way home and spent the next 48 hours in bed dosed up with pain killers. Ive had a mixture of discharges - from watery, to yellowish, to dark red/brown - which over the past two weeks became offensive and now I am off work for another week with antibiotics due to ?infection. Im still taking pain killers 2 weeks on - trying not to take them but I give in to the pain.  The pain varies from chronic low back pain radiating around the lower abdomen to sharp stabbing pains on the right.  My stomach is bloated to the point that im walking around with unzipped trousers.  I cant do much around the house because the pain starts up.  I know its only been two weeks - early days - but after reading everyones comments I feel devastated that I didnt read all this before and decide against this procedure.  I may be one of the lucky ones (but knowing my past record with luck) doubt it.  Sorry girls but I think we are ginnea-pigs half the time and we dont realise it... Will keep you posted of my progress..
I also have had this surgery in Jan. 2010 and it is now Feb. 23rd, 2010 and I am still spotting, it is slowing down a bit. But now, I guess that I am trying to cycle and the pain and bloating are here!!! The pain is a sharp pain on my left & right sides and my belly is bloated and my pants are tight. What the hell, I am physically supposed to feel better right? NOT
I had the D&C and the NovaSure Procedures. It has been a total nightmare. I had it done early December and it's now the end of Feburary. Bleeding Black blood for about 3 weeks with extreme pelvic and abdominal pain, it hurts so bad the meds the doctor gave me barely help the pain. I will bleed for weeks on end with a couple days of not bleeding in between. Feels like contractions? Worst than having a baby! I have never had this much pain in my life. I had tubial Ligation 8 yrs. ago and it didn't hurt as bad as this. I would never recommend this procedure to anyone else. I have medicaid and have read on the internet that this procedure costs less, that's why doctors recommend it over a hysterectomy. I have also read that it is banned in other countries. My doctor was a male, I am changing my doctor to a female. Hopefully she will understand the symptoms better than him. Also u can never be tested for cervical cancer due to the scarring after novasure procedure. Do Not Get This procedure done. All us women should get together and sue the hell out of novasure. Thought it would help my excessive bleeding, only made my life worse. Very hard to get out of the bed every morning. Thought I was going crazy until i found this site and heard I'm not the only one having this problem. Have had bad anxiety and depression also, any one else out there with all these problems. God please take away the pain. It is horrible, I traded in one problem for a much worse one.Good luck to everyone and god bless and thank u all for helping me.

Hi, I had Novasure on February 26th, 2010.  I woke up with severe cramping for two hours and was put on Vicadin.  I was peeing all night up and down every 5-10 minutes.  The next day I got a fever of 103.7 and had to go by ambulance to the emergency room.  I was given Morphine and Lactated Ringer solution to get the fever down.  My fever broke and I had a urinary tract infection and lung infection.  The brochure says 3 days and you are feeling fine.  I have not returned to work yet today the 3rd of March.  I have watery blood and cramping.  I have to take 2 Tylenol four times a day.  Going tomorrow to find out when I will feel better.  Saw all these posts and was shocked by people's experiences.  I just wanted to stop my heavy bleeding not start new pain.
i had the novasure procedure the first week in november 2009.  i had extreme pain in recovery because i was told i have a tilted uterus. it was done for hemorhaging, very, very heavy bleeding.  it is great to stop the heavy bleeding, but as the weeks and months go on, i have very bad cramping, upper and lower abdominal pain,and constipation.  I have bled since the day i had the procedure, which is uncommon, spotting, what looks like threads and mucus plugs.  I now have to have a hysterectomy.
I had a Novasure ablation in October of 2007. For two years it was pure bliss, no periods, no cramps.    That changed dramatically in late December of 09, it started with somewhat mild cramping that kept on for a couple of weeks.  The cramping escalated into unbearable symptoms of bloating, leg pain, back pain, my uterus, ovaries and tubes would throb.  It was almost like a hormone rush - I would get shakey (shaky), spacey and emotional. This happened every single day, until I finally got into my gyn.

After a CT scan and ultrasound, they determined I had a fluid build up because my cervix was cauterized, meaning the doctor got too close to my cervix and it is now closed by scar tissue that is blocking the flow of any fluid that is building up in the uterine lining.  4 weeks ago I had a D&C to open the cervix and drain the fluid, which somewhat helped, but now is back to full blow symptoms almost every day.  

Another ultrasound today confirms that the D&C didn't work.  I'm going to another doctor and expect to have a hysterectomy soon.  It's been horrible, I feel like a lunatic half the time, just want this nightmare to end.

I wonder how many other women with these symptoms are because the practitioner may have gotten too close to the cervix, like in my case?    
Sorry to hear that so many of you had problems after the ablation. I had mine a week ago in an emergency situation and I am not sure if it was Novasure or another one of the procedures. (I could not have a hysterectomy due to abdominal adhesions from my last c-section.) I had only mild cramping in the recovery room and they immediately gave me Percoset. I was given a script for a weeks worth of Percoset and another for 800mg of Advil. The Dr. said to be sure to take the meds BEFORE I felt pain and to alternate them. I did this for the first couple of days but I didn't feel I needed them so I stopped. The only thing I don't like is the discharge and having to wear a pad. Other than that I would say everything went well. I have an appointment next week and will ask which procedure she performed.
I had a novasure ablation done on mar 30th 2010. The first couple days went as expected, mild cramping, bleeding and discharge. The past few days I have experinced back pain, pelvic pain and pain in my side. This morning I woke up nauseous and had diarrhea all afternoon. If I still feel awful tomorrow, I am calling my GYN but I am wondering if anyone has actually gotten answers from their GYN? I feel I have an awesome dr but am worried about if this is normal. These are not symptoms my Dr discussed.
I HAD NOVASURE DONE BACK IN 2006, WENT GREAT AT FIRST, GOT IT DONE BECAUSE OF TERRIBLY HEAVY BLEEDING FOR MORE THAN 7 DAYS [ I AM 41 NOW] BUT I NEVER HAD BAD CRAMPS AT ALL!!!!! NOW I FEEL LIKE I AM DYING TWICE A MONTH WITH LABOR PAIN CRAMPS!!!!! MY GYNO SAID HE THINKS MY LINING HAS GROWN BACK BEHIND SCAR TISSUE!!!!!!!! FOR MONTHS I WAS ON VICODIN AND 800 MG IBUPROFIN....DIDN'T HELP!!!!! I WOULD TURN PALE WHEN I WAS ON MY PERIOD FROM THE CRAMP PAIN AND I STARTED BLEEDING REALLY HEAVY AGAIN, IN FEB. I GOT THE PREGNANCY SHOT AND THIS HAS HELPED TO KEEP THE PAIN BAREABLE AND THE FLOW BACK TO ALMOST NOTHING, BUT I AM ALWAYS BLOATED AND UNCOMFORTABLE---NO TO NOVASURE!!!!!!!!!
so how come I didn't see all these bad posts when i first looked up novasure? I had my d&c and endometrial ablation a week ago - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010. I had a little pain the first day or so and i've been swollen, sort of bloated and hard ever since. I haven't been bleeding but had some pinkish discharge and now 'leak' a water discharge that happens suddenly and with no warning so I guess i need to keep wearing pads. I'm worried from what i read here that maybe i've been doing too much since the operation. But then again, maybe people who have bad side effects tend to write more? The only thing I am noticing is that I feel horribly depressed. I wasn't all that great before it but i just am so down. It could be a coincidence - has anyone else felt depressed after ablation?
I am two weeks post ablation  - an an RN.  Why did I not read about these issues before surgery on 4/10/10.  I was fine for a week.  Day 8 - I started swelling.  I look 8 months pregnant.  I thought I had some infection, ascites, uterine perforation, or some horrible liver or thyroid gone mad.

CT normal, labs normal.  Just GREW three pant sizes over night with Horrible cramps.  I kept telling people, I feel like I am in early labor.  I cannot eat without nausea.  The doctors, all of them, think I am interesting (that is what the GI doctor) told me but I have a cosmetic problem.  My back is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Is this going to end?  Please tell me this will go away!!!!!!!!  
More than 'interesting' I would say. I'm now on day 11 and I think my swollen belly is now down a little... more pinkish discharge than before. still feel a little odd and shaky, but otherwise seem OK. And i figure my hormones might be a little out of whack given i feel so depressed. Went to the doctor but the pathology isn't back yet - just a note saying they think all went well. Keep posting and we'll keep comparing. to swell that much seems too much to me. But what do I know?
well, I feel a little better now.  I had novasure July 2009, starting in Jan 2010 I've had this lower abdominal pressure and pain.  Been treated for UTI, bacterial infection, had ultrasound now having a ct scan.  Thinking I have been struck with the adenomyosis.  Will have to discuss with my OB/GYN.  Asked if had to do with ablation, he thought the scar tissue looked okay from the ultrasound.  Oddly enough, my bleeding went to spotting when the pressure started......  
I had an endometrial ablation and hysteroscopy to remove fibroids 6 days ago due to heavy bleeding and increasingly painful periods. I have had severe "menstrual-like" cramping since the procedure, slept through for the first time last night and have a watery discharge. I also feel very bloated.

I am also unable to sit up straight for long periods ... then burning sensation in my abdomen starts.

I want to stay optimistic about my recovery but find it really hard when I read your stories.

Tish
remember its mostly the people who've had not so great experiences that post. I'm not so bad now. just the discharge, so it's been almost a month. but I don't have pain and the bloating is gone. IN fact, I saw the nurse who said I was having my period so maybe i had regular pre period bloating. Am hoping that won't keep happening... for me the PMS symptoms and the heavy bleeding were the reason for the ablation and i'm hoping that this month I won't bloat up to the size of a basketball :) keep the faith and you'll be fine
I had this done too and I have awful pains in my lower abdomen, sometime it feels like someone is inside me pulling on my insides. I also have bad bladder control now and after I empty my bladder it feels like I have cramps in it. I had to go back and the but this time I went to another Doctor, she told my I now have bad scare tissue from the procedure and if it continues I will need a hysterectomy. In my opinion it made me worse.
I had a D&C on 3/12/10 and that didn't work. Ended up in the ER on my birthday, 4/5 due to  heavy bleeding. Met again with my OB and scheduled an ablation for 4/19. Procedure went well. I took a week off of work just to recover. I had the normal cramping the day of and a couple days after. Discharge has been light but steady, which I was hoping it would be gone by now. Got my period on 5/1 like clock work. Flow is very light and I didn't think much of it. I knew there was a chance that I would get my period back and anything lighter than before is welcomed. Well come Monday night all hell broke loose. Starting at about 8 p.m. I had the most awful gut wrenching cramps ever. None of my pain pills would work. I was up all night and at one point all I could do was cry. About 9 the next morning all the pain meds finally must have kicked in and I got a couple hours of sleep. Called my doctor's nurse and she said to take Advil along with the pain meds and use a heating pad. Seemed to work for a while. Got some sleep last night and I have an appt with my OB on the 6th. I can't and won't put up with these cramps. They are so much worse than before when I was having a full blown period.
OMG. I had a NovaSure on 4/28/10. Had a period six days later; first day very heavy, rest quite light, but started cramping horribly and when the period stopped, the cramps stayed. I've had these cramps for three solid weeks, been to the dr. every week. Two rounds of antibiotics in case there's a urine infection from the catheter (the clean catch tests show no infection, but taking the drugs anyway.) I keep wondering if some how the chemicals got out of the spot where the eggs come in because the pain is on the sides, not the center. Sitting up at work brings it on. I start every day pain free and by noon the cramps are horrible.
Reading your stories is very scary, but at least I  know this is not unusual and I know what to ask on my next appointment. Thank you for sharing and good luck to everyone.
OMG! I had my Novasure treatment in February of 2009. Everything went well. I had it done in the middle of a flooding period. Afterwards, I still had my period. Lighter flow (still needed a superplus tampons on day 1) but moderate. Then in November of 2009 my periods stopped cold turkey and the *P*A*I*N* began....emergency room type pain. Centering around my ovaries and below my naval. It hurts to bend over, to walk up stairs, to even touch that area! It's worse when I lie down and better when sitting up. It hurts to use the muscles in that area to PEE! At first I thought, Ok...cramps...take my Advil. 4 Advil didn't TOUCH it! I had the heating pad on so high that it burned the skin on my abdomen and I didn't care!!! WHAT THE HELL??? I got the pain again in January of 2010. I saw my gastro Dr. He examined me...not a gastro issue. Did some research....saw my GYN....he did an ultrasound (nothing there)....told him what I discovered from your newsgroup. He advised me to come right back in when I was in the middle of pain again so he could examine me. Well I had no more pain until TODAY (May 20th)...it's TORTURE! I've had endometriosis all my life and those cramps don't even come CLOSE TO THIS! The previous poster who claimed it was like birthing contractions is RIGHT! OK....Novasure cured my flooding problem and I am no longer anemic but I can't live like this. I can barely walk. When some pain waves come I feel like I'm going to PASS OUT! I'm 46 and want my utereus OUT! DO NOT GET THE NOVASURE TREATMENT is my advice to you!!!!!!!!!!
So, it's almost a month since my last post and I had my ablation April 13. discharge has stopped but it's been a little strange. I would think I should be having a period now and I've gone thru all the usual PMS symptoms with an extra twist - my breasts are killing me they've swollen so much and I am hugely bloated. I'm also exhausted, but otherwise, i'm no longer leaking and i've started having sex again. I have to book the follow up with obgyn. So maybe my periods are going to be light or non existent but everything else is still there...
Saw my GYN today...had an ultrasound in the middle of the pain..excruciating.. I was crying in the Dr's office afterwards from the discomfort. And guess what...yup....they found fluid in the abdomen. I'm going in for a hysterectomy. He won't know how much to remove until he gets in there, looks around and cleans up the adhesions etc. He wrote me a prescription for 40 percocet (2 every 4 hours to control the pain) that he advised me to keep it on hand in case the pain came back before the surgery. While I was setting up lesson plans in my school today I was telling a friend why I was going to be out and she said, "OMG my sister in law had that and had the SAME THING happen to her!!!" I'm telling everyone not to get the NovaSure treatment. Torrancegal If you get any sign of cramping GO RIGHT AWAY TO YOUR GYN and INSIST on an ultrasound. Bring in copies of what people have said here! That's what I did.
Good advice and I hope everything goes better for you. I've been bloating really badly and am worried about what might happen next. Will definitely get into see the doc and discuss.. again, will keep all posted
Had the NovaSure procedure in September of 2009. After discharge went away all is well. No bleeding and only recently began having PMS symtoms (symptoms) again. I am 44 (almost 45) My hot flashed just returned also. Haven't had any since the procedure. I have, however, gained almost 15 pounds since the procedure. I am a healthy eater and work out for 2 hours 5 days a week. Could be my age making the change, but I will have a physical this week and ask the Dr.   Glad to have read these posts, so I can see that others have had weight gain issues. Have to say though; Other than the few days post procecure; It's been much better. Coming from someone who's last period was 54 days. What a summer that was.
I've had all the same problems as mentioned above from my Nova-sure from a year ago. Been to the ER too thinking my appendix was about to rupture. This pain is not like normal menstrual cramps! It's radiating pain and pressure like something needs to come out. It hurts worse when standing and sitting upright. It hurts so bad my breathing is affected... yep, like your giving birth! I'm almost positive I'll have to have a hysterectomy now and am waiting to have the OBGYN who performed the Nova-sure procedure to get me in and evaluated.
Hello All,

It's been 3 years now since i had the procedure done. I was really really happy with the results and told all my friends (wish I hadn't).  3 months ago I got my first period; it lasted a day or two but I had some pain on the lower left quadrant of my abdomen that was not severe but dull and nagging.  The fluid was a brownish color like some have said, "the end of the period" period. A few days ago I had pain soooooo severe that i wanted to go to the hospital; like having baby, but none of the joy after.  I was talking Aleve every 4 to 6 hours; it was horrible.  I really thought something was wrong with me. BUT, I put the pieces together and realized that it might be my period.  Here's what you should know before you do the procedure.

1. You will have a period (light or heavy) eventually.  Like I said I didn't have one for 3 years, but have now started spotting.
2. It will be accompanied by severe cramps.  Be prepared the pain is unbearable.
3. The pain tends to start on the left side, but it will eventually travel across your lower abdomen. You may also feel it in your lower back and rectum. Be careful of how much medicine you take.  You will want to take a lot of because the pain is that horrible.
4. You may notice that your digestive tract is off.  I'm bloated all the time and always taking GasX. Every time I eat I am bloated or have pain from the gas.
5. You may notice that it's hard to lose weight. My scale fluctuates between 6-10 pounds daily.

The only reason I would not recommend this procedure is because of the pain.  Please note this is NOT the type of pain you will be able to live with monthly. I am really worried about next month because I do not think I can take 3 days of horrendous cramps.  I am going to the doctors to discuss a hysterectomy. I hope this helps.
Found out today, two years post ablation that the severe pains I have been experiencing are most likely do to fluid buildup in the uterus. POST ABLATION SYNDROME. The best part is, this procedure was to eliminate the need for a hysterectomy. Now hysterectomy is pretty much the only cure for the complications of this procedure. DON'T DO IT!
I had NovaSure Ablation done in April of 2008 and was very relieved of symptoms of heavy flow and cramps....for a while.  Now two years later I am only spotting every 29 days, but the pain is excrutiating and dibilitating to the point of missing work and curling up in a fetal position to try to sleep.  On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being childbirth I give it a 6 where I could almost cry.  I called my gyno who performed the outpatient surgery and cannot get in to see her for a month.  Fortunately the timeframe may be so that this will be occuring at the time of the appointment.  I had a cyst on my right ovary and had pain before the procedure, but nothing compared to what I had this week.  The pain travels from my right ovary down the front of my right thigh and also up under my right quadrant rib cage.  If I go next month and she says it is time for a hysterectomy I will this time say YES!
I had the Novasure ablation done  on Sept 14th 2010. The day I had surgery they used general anesthesia   and I was fine. Just a little spotting and very sleepy from the anesthesia. The 2nd day the cramps kicked in and I had to take a Percocet.  Day 3 I started getting a pink watery slimy discharge cramps started to go away. Day 6 I started to bleed heavy. Not heavy as before but enough to soak a pad every 1 hour to hour and half. It's been 4 days of bleeding and I think it's my period. I am always due at this time. I am so far ok with the procedure and glad I did it. I use to bleed really heavy before and I still have my 10cm fibroid. Today  it is starting to slow down.
i am so glad i found this thread, it has really made up my mind regarding my decision on novasure. i was scheduled for my very first novasure appointment tomorrow and i just cancelled it. i am 24 years old and i do suffer from heavy menstrual cycles but i mainly wanted the procedure for birth control because my husband and i dont want children. i really wish that you that are now suffering from the procedure could have found this discussion earlier and thus made a more informed decision.
Back again after my hysterectomy on Sept 29th. The doctor said that my uterus and right ovary were really swollen and he could see why I have been in so much pain. There was A LOT OF DAMAGE and adhesions from the internal bleeding caused by the scar tissue in my uterus and my period backing up BEHIND it and then out into my abdomen. My doctor said, "We had to do a lot of rebuilding, and at one point I had four doctors operating on you!" Having the hysterectomy was a great choice. Again, I emphasis to you and all my RL friends...DO NOT GET THE NOVASURE TREATMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had my ablation done Sept, 21st. It went great, just your normal discharge and leakage then I stared my first period on Sept 28th, Lucky me! Let me tell you, I have not stopped bleedind since  then. I called the doctor Oct 15th and the nurse said this is normal and could last up to 4 months. As long as it's not heavy bleedng, painful, or blood clots. Would you guess, that evening (October 15th I started having pain in my lower stomach, about the pelvic area) I woke this morning, October 16th, in a lot more pain, heavy bleeding, and blood clots.  Any one out there have any ideas. My physicians offices are closed till Monday and I really don't want to take time off work to hear it's normal, I will if something is wrong, but I am 28 years old, with 3 children. My periods would only last  3 days but I would go through a super tampon at least 1 every 1/2 hour to an hour and it felt like my inside were falling out, and it was a drag trying to function a work on a daily basis. Please any ideas let me know if I should get my butt to the doctors right away or if this normal.  
The same thing happened to me.. it was so bad I almost went to the emergency room, but I decided to wait it out and stopped taking the Advil that he advised because apparently it was making the bleeding worse. By the time I went to the Dr. on Monday he said it was normal. It did finally stop after almost two weeks. I had mine done in Aug 7, 2009 and during the month of Sept. 2010 I have bled twice in one month.. I called the Dr. but he said it was normal as long as the bleeding is not as heavy as it was before I got the Novasure done. I am going to another Dr this week to get a second opinion, bleeding twice in one month is NOT normal! At least to me anyway.  
had wonderfull nova sure done 23 jul 2010.... 1st day was ok bit sleepy sore 2nd much the same 3rd day could hardly stand anti b's was the ans... week later not much had changed another 2 antiB'S lots of pain killers 2 weeks later another 2 coures of anti anti b's stronger pain relief..3weeks later was on my hands an knees another bloody anti b's. still had bleeding a real strong smell my bottom was in raw flesh and had spent a week crying with pain... 4 weeks on ended up in hosp getting morphine injection on a drip with more anti b's was in for 5 days.. bleeding has stopped. cramps pain mood swings headace more cramps. only 32 have 2 wonderful kids and feel awful as there is days were i cant move. have app on the 15 nov to see what going to happen next.. its the only thing i really reget in life is the novasure op.... they should have warning onitSTOPS BLEEDING DISTROY THE REST OF YOUR LIFE X
I had the novasure procedure done 9/06.  I've actually been quite happy with my decision. I had it because I had really heavy awful periods with cramping, and bloating. I've always still had a period every month until now. I've also usually had about 3 days of severe cramping, but i've been able to control it with ibuprofen. My periods last about 5 days with maybe one  to two moderately heavy days and spotting the rest of the time. It's now almost mid november and I haven't had a period since late September. I had light brown spotting for 1 day in October. Now, I've been having a yellow or brown discharge for about 2 weeks and cramping on and off with lots of gas. I had major breast tenderness last week. I was starting to wonder if I could be pregnant, although that is very unlikely because my husband was fixed in 2000 and I had that procedure in 06.  I'm wondering why weird things would start happening after 4 years or if it's not related?        
not all readers are post procedure persons... I am looking into having it done and I had hoped to be ride of the pms monster that invades me and the awful cramps , having learned to deal with the flow in highschool , i'm now 40 something, (school is an unforgiving place for girls with red stains...you have to adapt or get left behind) What i hear here is not all that promising.
I had the NovaSure done in September of 2008. I had heavy painful periods that lasted for more than 10 days at a time. I have two children of which I had naturally. Never had a C-Section. My OB/GYN said that the NovaSure was the best thing and would greatly reduce or eliminate my heavy bleeding and abdominal pain. The procedure was "text book" according to my Dr. I went back for my two week check up and although the dr. noted excessive fluid build up he said that I was doing great. A week later I was in the ER with such sever abdominal pain and cramping that I couldn't even stand. I was dx with a sever abdominal infection was given IV antibiotics and sent home with oral antibiotics. After about a week the infection all cleared up and the pain gone I was the biggest advocate for the NovaSure procedure. That was until in October of this year (2010) I began having abdominal pain and cramping and bleeding again.

I went to my Dr and he said I had a bladder infection and gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. I took the Antibiotics and the abdominal pain didn't go away. Nor did the bleeding. The abdominal pain got worse and was in the upper right quadrant. I thought I may have gallbladder problems so I went back to the Dr. They scheduled me for an ultra sound two weeks later and said that I still had a bladder infection and gave me another round of antibiotics.

The abdominal pain persisted and now was not only in the upper right quadrant but in the lower right and left side as well as a feeling of pressure and having to pee a lot. My ultrasound was still a day away and I had finished my second round of Antibiotics. I was working out of town and due to the pain I went to the clinic that my Mother works at and got in to see the Dr there as a walk in. I thought I still had a UTI and was just needing another round of antibiotics.  Sure enough I still had a UTI but she also asked me when was my last PAP? I had not had one in the two years since my NovaSure procedure. I had no pain no periods so I never thought about my annual PAP. Very bad you should ALWAYS have your annual PAP done ALWAYS. Anyway, we did a PAP and it was at that time that she noticed that my Uterus was enlarged and I had some inflammation in my vaginal cavity. She said I had to have a trans vaginal Ultrasound ASAP. As luck would have it my gallbladder ultrasound was scheduled for the very next day so long story short I had both ultrasounds done and they found an abnormal spot in my uterus and a D&C with hysteroscopy (Google it - when they use a camera to look at what is going on inside and they can take pics to) was recommended. I was referred to an OB/GYN and after I went and saw him and we went over my ultrasound results he too recommended that I have the D&C with hysteroscopy. I had this done on October 18th.

I thought that this would be the end and all would be well. Not so, the dr. was not able to do a D&C completely because I had too much scar tissue build up, most likely due to the NovaSure and the infection I got thereafter. The new verdict was now that I had to have a hysterectomy. I recovered from the D&C and the abdominal pain never went away. The daily pain was so bad that it felt as if I was in labor 24/7. It never let up. The bleeding was now just spotting but the abdominal pain was the worst of my life. All I could do was wait until my hysterectomy and hope and pray that this would finally take care of all the pain that I had.

I had my surgery done on November 11th 2010. We were going to do a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I was going to keep my ovaries so I wouldn't have to go on HRT. My dr and I decided that if there was any reason medically that I could not do the vaginal that an abdominal hysterectomy was the next step and that if there was any reason medically that he saw that would indicate that I needed my ovaries taken as well then that was ok too. I went under not knowing what the outcome was going to be.

I woke up in so much pain that I thought I was dying. In my groggy state I also heard "them" saying "Breath, just breath." Alarms were going off and I was throwing my guts up. I will not go into great detail as to what all I went through but I will tell you all the Dr. found after I was under.

For a dr to determine if they can do a vaginal hysterectomy he must first determine if the uterus can even be removed vaginally. This is done by using forceps to pull on the cervix and gently pull if there is some give and it comes towards the dr then a vaginal hysterectomy is most likely to occur. This was not the case for me. My uterus did not move. So he preformed an abdominal incision and proceeded to preform the hysterectomy. Only to find that my uterus was adhered to my abdominal wall. He also noted that I had been bleeding into my abdomen for some time. My uterus was the size of a 4 month pregnant woman. My ovary was so full of fibroid cysts and it had fused to my uterus. Scar tissue was everywhere. My Dr. had to dissect my uterus from my abdominal wall. Once he had my uterus and one ovary removed he began going over all my organs that were close to where my uterus and ovary use to be., he wanted to make sure that he had not damaged anything. It was during this search that he found a golf ball size tumor next to my rectum. This tumor had it's own blood supply and was in growing mode. My dr. had to call in a General Surgeon to remove this. I then had a colonoscopy done and a scope used to go thru my bladder and ureters. I was in surgery for more than 5 hours.

I am now 7 days post opp and I must say that I feel so much better. Aside from the soreness from the incision site and body aches from not moving around that much. I have no pain in my abdomen like I did before the surgery. I would not recommend the NovaSure procedure to anyone. Talk to your dr about less invasive procedures for appellation. There are many other procedures out there that do not cause so many problems afterwords and do not cause a build up of scar tissue that can lead to so many complications. The decision is yours but please make sure that you have ALL the facts before you say yes. I know that the thought of getting rid of the pain and bleeding seems worth just about anything but in the long run it was not worth it to me. Make sure you know all the side effects and complications that can occur. I was not given all this information and the brochure does not tell you about anything negative like what the women on this site have gone thru. Nor does the web site. Its your health and your body so be informed.  
i has the novasure done in may 2010 what a mistake. i was in pain from the start ended up on morphine. apart from the 9 days of bleeding i had after the procedure i have not bleed at all. but the cramps are horrid i feel and look about 6 months pregant for about 2 weeks of a month and around my c/section scar is so tender i can not even touch it. got my 6 month cheak up today and to be honest i am thinking of going for having it all took out and at 28 years old i do feel scared but i have got two children i can just not carry on anymore it hurts to drain the mob and as for sex its pretty much one position cause anythink eles hurts i would not recommend this to anyone xx
I had my abalation Dec. 15, 2009.  Other than a couple days of being uncomfortable, I didn't think it was that bad.  But, prior to the abalation, I had 2 sometimes 3 cycles per month and I really thought I was going to bleed to death.  The cramping was very much like labor pains and the headaches and mood swings were awful.  
Now, I get a discharge (pale pink) every now and then.  Sometimes some breast swelling, but nothing compared to what I was going through before.  
I'm going on a year, and I do not regret what I did!!   Based on my previous, I would do it again!!  I didn't gain weight, I think it is up to the individual.  I think I'm more active because I don't have to worry about the bleeding and cramping.  Bloating usually is caused from eating too much salt and not drinking enough water.  After you turn 40, its natural to retain if you don't pay attention to this.  I wouldn't blame it on the surgery. But, that is just my opinion.  Like every procedure, there can be some people that don't do well and most positive ones don't post because they don't feel like they need to.  I probably wouldn't have either if I hadn't of read so many negative posts.  I'm sorry for the ones that didn't fare well but I would have the discussion with your doctor and weigh the options before doing anything.  For me,  I couldn't take the time off for a hystrectomy (sp) so I was lucky that it worked for me!  Good luck all and will keep you in our prayers!!
I had the ablation & a D&C procedure done Feb. 2010.  Everything went as it said.  I had light/moderate cramping the first two days and the watery bad smelling discharge lasted for about 2 weeks.  I went to the doctor for the post op and everything seemed okay.  He asked me if I had any bleeding and at that time I did not.  I was actually crossing my fingers hoping I wasn't EVER going to have a period again. Which was the reason I had the procedure in the first place.  Very heavy periods and I also had numerous fibroids.  Anywho...here it is 10 months later.  I still have my period, even though its no where near as heavy or long as it used to be, but the pain is unbearable.  It's not even during my cycle.  This pain lasts the whole month and gets worse during my cycle.  I've finally had enough, I was on vicodin for days. I've been to the ER on more than one occassion, my regular doctor on more than one occasion and a gastro...whatever kind of doctor and no one can find anything!  It's so frustrating for them to tell me nothing is wrong and I have stabbing pain everyday. It hit really bad and I'm doubled over in pain, its hard to catch my breath, etc.  So I called my GYN today and I have an appointment tomorrow.  Thank God!  Hopefully, I can get an answer as to what is going on with me.
Like many of you, I'm experiencing extremely bad cramping and bloating.  I had the NovaSure procedure in August 2009 at the age of 47.  I had a normal recovery and then no periods, cramping, bloating for 13 months.  Life was EXCELLENT.  Then in September 2010, my world blew apart.  I starting having cramps that were beyond painful.  They occurred mostly in my right lower abdomen a few days before I stated bleeding.  Then once I started bleeding, the cramping intensified to the point where I thought I was going to die from the pain.  The cramping also moved across my lower stomach and down my thigh.  This lasted for about 4 days.  During which time I was in extreme pain and Ibprofen didn't help.  Also the bloating and nausea are incredible.  I can gain 5 pounds overnight.
When this happened again in October 2010, I went to my Gyno.  He pretty much brushed me off and said I'll be fine and that the procedure doesn't work for everyone.  Prior to the procedure, I usually had cramps on the first day of my period but nothing close to the pain and bloating I'm currently experiencing.
In November, I went back to my Gyno and he completed an ultrasound which showed that nothing was wrong.  Of course!  We'll here it is December and I'm right in the middle of cramping and bloating.  The pain is so intense I can't even think straight.  If I knew I would be in this much pain, I wouldn't have had the procedure.  My Gyno is now telling me to live with the pain or have a hysterectomy.  The problem is I didn't need one before all this started.
Have you had your tubes tied? I have had both the Novasure and a tubal. The result is that I now have what is called hydrosalpinz. Fluid from my cycle backs up into my right tube and distends it which causes severe pain like what you describe. When my period is over, so is the pain.

I am currently under the care of an accupuncturist and massage therapist that specializes in Maya Abdominal Therapy. Both treatments are helping as long as I follow the anti-inflammatory diet, take prescribed vitamins and herbs, exercise, and massage my abdomen.

Good luck to you all! I really wish I hadn't had my tubes tied and the novasure procedure.
I wish I had found all this before having the Novasure.  I had it done in June of 2010 on  the first day of my period and thought, "that's the last I'll see of you."  WRONG.  28 days later... BINGO right on time.   My doc said I was her only patient she'd had that it didn't completely stop the periods.  It decreased my flow, no doubt, but now I am having the pains everyone else is describing.  It started about 2-3 months ago....severe cramping at the time of my period, worse than what I had before Novasure.  Now, my flow has decreased to almost nothing for only 3-4 days.  But who cares, the pain with it is now so bad!  And this month I actually have the pain AFTER the period stops.  My back hurts too, which I attributed to other things I have been doing, but now I am not so sure.  Seems as if it could be related to the increased cramping.   I am not having the bloating that others mention, thank goodness...

Think twice and do tons of research before consenting to this procedure.  I am really regretting it.  My doctor made it seem like a cure-all and no risks.....I feel like I was lied to.  
hi just to let you know that it was the best thing i had done as i had it done on 10th may2010 and now i amonly on a period for less than 24 hours very light ,ijust wish i didnt still get period pains for the 6 hours before as they are really painful but i dont regret the nova sure, hope this helps.
My dr wanted to do a hysterectomy in Dec of 2010, but my insurance wouldn't approve it until other procedures had been tried such as the Novasure and DNC and hystrecotopy. Well, I can't fit in but one pair of jeans anymore. I bled for over a month and had to take Peruvia (not spelled right) twice. The periods are lighter yes, but I would guess average for a normal person. Before I cramped for about 3 days. After this procedure, I've had cramping 3 days prior that felt like I was going into labor and I was a few days late. Got scared and took a pregnancy test that came back negative. On the 2nd day I called dr for a script for pain and nausea. Then I bled for 3 days with some cramping. Bleeding stopped and I still have pain in lower back and pelvis.
Dr. says now the insurance should cover the hysterectomy which is all fine and good, but got to finish paying off the hospital and then come up with the chunk to put down for the hysterectomy.  I've already called and gave insurance company a serious talking to (politely but adamantly) and I will be calling them again to voice my complaint, because this is ridiculous.
I had a failed Novasure experience yesterday. Probaby the worst day of my life!!!   I have had natural child birth and kidney stones and I have to say this procedure was by far the most traumatic.  My procedure was attempted in office w/vicoden and valium.  Neither drug did a thing.  The shots to numb your cervix was the worst pain you could imagine.  Not to mention when they clamp your cervix.  After 3 test attempts to see if they could proceed somewhere air was leaking.  The machine would not allow for the procedure to move forward.  I begged for her to stop. I'm sure I have a small perforation in my uteris do to the amount of bleeding I have had.  I would not ever recommend this to anyone not even my worst enemy!!
I am scheduled for a D&C and the Novasure procedure on Wednesday the 2nd of March, 2011.  I have to say, I am scared to death.  If so many people have had such terrible experiences, why are they still doing it?  I have seen maybe 1 or 2 positive experiences out of many, many negative ones.  I really don't know at this point if I want to do this.  I would rather have a partial hysterectomy!!!
i had the ablition and a tubal ligation done in 2006 for heavy periods, although my periods have lightened considerably i have severe night itching and very severe pmt. it has been 5 years since my op but my pmt is getting worse by the month i think im going crazy, has anyone else experienced this?
i want to thank god and you all of you for opening my eyes  with all u wrote on the obilation i to was oferd the presedur by my gino and was going to do it but after reading this blog i told him im not willing to be in pain and complecat my life more than it is with heavy bleading and im going to scadual a dnc, and a hesteroscopy im anemic and painfull piriods and told my husbend to read all your reaction so he understands why im declining the novashor and wownt think im crazy he agreed with me ofcoars the doctor thinks im nuts.  i wish u all health and yes 100% i wold sue if it hapand to me. attornys dont charg unless u get compensated. god bless good luck and belive me im even scared naw of a simple dnc,
I was supposed to have Novasure on Monday March 21, 2011, but had a really uneasy feeling about the procedure (both itself and the long term effects which my doctor just 'breezed by' when I asked).  I am supposedly a 'good candidate' due to regular womb shape/size, no fibroids or other contraindications (based on u/sound, hysteroscopy and biopsy results).  This feeling of unease made me get up this morning to do some research, found this site and one other and am appalled at the # of negative experiences which just confirm the gut feeling I have.  Have canceled the Novasure procedure and will NOT be rescheduling.
I had the Nove Sure procedure in Jan 10 and my periods didn't stop until Jul 10.  I had this procedure because of very heave clotting.  Well, soon after my periods stopped in Jul, I began to experience severe abdominal pain, bloating, diareah, and back pain.  It gets me down for about two days at the time my period should be.  It is the worst pain ever felt.  I have had three back surgeries and I can handle that pain better than this abdonimal pain.  Now since Oct/Nov 10, I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts and testing for ovarian cancer.  Well, I just had another pelvic exam last Fri and this past week I had to go for another cancer screening.  To find out, I now have to have a complete hysterectomy because both of my ovaries are very enlarged and I have more cysts.  I am not very happy about this.  My gyno was quick to brag up the Nova Sure but now she does not talk about it at all.  
  *****Anyone thinking about getting the Nova Sure procedure, please do all the research first.
I had the Novasure done on the 13th its only 2 days ago i havnt had much pain and just a slight discharge . Does anyone know how soon before allowed sex after this procedure .
Karen
Hello, I had the Novasure Ablation procedure on April 14,2011 in an outpatient clinic. I also had a four inch cyst removed. I was put to sleep with  a general anesthetic. After the procedure I had minimal abdominal pain. Today is day four for me, so far I have had pinkish/brownish discharge that smells awful to the point of not wanting to be around others. Pain is still minimal, I only take pain pills at night which consist of Ibuprofen 800 mg an Hydrocodone to help me sleep in comfort. I have been bloated since after the procedure. I hope my stomach goes down soon. I got the procedure done due to heavy periods, my periods were so heavy that I had to take two to three days off work each month. I had a tubal in 1995 a mother of two . I PRAY TO GOD,  this procedure works for me. It's to early to say. I'm really afraid to go back to work due to  the unexpected. I will keep u all posted. God Bless.  

FAITHFUL

Had my NovaSure ablation on March 30th, 2011. I was convinced this was the way to go since a previous colleague had had it done 8 years ago and RAVED about it (we work in the IVF industry). No periods since. She never mentioned any "after" pain. I am 47 yrs. old and had had heavy bleeding for approx. 18months. My OB/Gyn had me try low dose birth control first, I had blurry vision, migraines and dizziness. Those were out. He then wanted me to try an IUD that dispenses drugs I said, "no" as I've never done well with the pill and that's basically the pill. I spoke to my doctor that did my IVF who is also an active OB/Gyn as well and he said the Novasure was the pill was too high risk. I was then adamant I wanted the NovaSure procedure.

WELL...I really wish I had seen this website and all the postings first. It may not have changed my mind as I really trust my doctors (one is a good friend) and I work for a women's healthcare co. I was never told by anyone about any possible side affects other than mild cramping for a day or so and a minimal discharge for a week or two which has ended. I have had nothing BUT pain every single day since the procedure. My 2 week post-op check the doctor said I was fine and the pain I was having in my abdomen was GI and I needed to see a GI doctor. I didn't hesitate as I had had some upper abdominal pain "before" the NovaSure procedure so I felt it was a separate issue altogether. I saw my GI doctor and he agreed after pushing on my area of pain which is both to the left and right of my belly button and NOT associated with my cycle as it is EVERYDAY pain. I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy, but after reading all these posts I am more convinced that this is a hack procedure. I was never a candidate for a hysterectomy and I would have rather lived with the bleeding until menopause as to go through this. I am a single mother of a 3 & 5 yr old with no family here and I am ready to go to the ER. I was crying on the phone with my Mom both yesterday and today (4-30-11). I thought maybe I had a thermal burn on my bowel due to the procedure, but after reading the comments I think it is a procedure that shouldn't be on the market. I look and feel like I am pregnant with morning sickness all day long every day and then sharp pains hit me too. Only feel better with a heating pad and sleep. I will DEFINITELY tell both doctors (my OB/Gyn and my R.E who did my IVF) to make sure patients REALLY know ALL of the REAL after effects. This is TERRIBLE! I was worried about colon cancer but now I'm certain it this procedure.
sorry about a typo.

It was suppose to read my RE that did my IVF who is an active OB/GYN as well said the NovaSure was great and that the pill was too high risk for strokes.
I had the NovaSure in Feb 2010.  My doctor had said this was a quick procedure, 3 days of rest and I'm good to go.  NOT SO.  The pain during the procedure was like a  torrture, burning my insides.  I had discharge for weeks as expected.  For more than a week I experienced terrible cramping pain that was almost incapicating.  My doctor said she didn't know why, like this was unusual.  I don't believe that.  However, on the good side of things,  my heaving bleeding stopped.  PMS was only slight instead of the previously unbearable.  After the first month or so my periods were light and lasting only one or two days.  Then after about 10 months I have no periods at all.  PMS is almost nonexistant.  The outcome is good so far, but there was a price to pay in the beginning.  For those considering it, weigh your odds.  How bad do you need the procedure?   My life was being put on hold 3 weeks out of most months because of heavy bleeding and terrible PMS.  In the end, I got my life back.  
I had the Novasure procedure done on April 18,2011 along with a tubal using fishies clips and a d&c. I had the brownish/pink discharge  till about a week ago and now that this has stopped I've been having pains in my abdomen area ranging from just below my breast line to the pubic bone radiating to both sides and now my lower back. Had my 2 week post op check up on the 2nd and the doctor didnt even look at me, just my chart and said everything went "textbook", showing no concerns that I was having some hot flashes,mood swings and night sweats but no fevers. Went to the E.R yesterday and had a contrast C.T scan done and they said all looked fine in the abdomen area, no hernia or appendixcitis (sorry for the spelling). Has anyone else had pains like this? They're not bad, just anoying gassy cramping feeling that hurts worse when you cough,sneeze or run. I've yet to have a period as well....
Put it in print some of your symptoms...then look at most ofthe above statements...... By what I have read.... it sounds like everyone else!!! Go get a 2nd Opinion Please!!! I went on here to do research for this procedure, as I was just looking into having it done rather than a hystorectomy. Im 42 yrs old, have two kids, tubes tied since 97, heavy periods, pollup and fybroids 9which seem to be causing the heavy periods. Im waiting to find out what the biopsy comes back with, but certainly WILL NOT HAVE this PROCEDURE from what I have read! Good Luck and take care!!
Hi, I noticed there aren’t a great deal of success stories posted with having the Novasure procedure, and I guess that is partly due to people being happy and not looking for further answers. I had the Novasure procedure and tubal ligation done on the 25th of March 2011, (9wks ago). I have to say, it was the BEST THING I EVER DID… prior to my operation, I had extremely heavy periods to point of being anemic, I found it hard to get out of bed for those few days, I bloated up and just looked and felt terrible… The procedure its self was fine, I hardly had any pain after the surgery, which was a relief…I didn’t even need any painkillers.. However; I was very tired and dizzy for about 10 days after, but I’m pretty certain that had to do with the anesthetic, plus the gas to blow my tummy up gave me slight chest and shoulder aches the following days…but it passed and I recovered well. The bleeding only lasted about 2 weeks, it was light with a fair amount of discharge (discharge was about 4wks).. Then it changed to a water discharge which is still there, but is getting less each week (one panty shield a day, but could get away with none)… I found that this discharge is due to the uterus being burnt and like normal burns, they weep for a while..  I have had two cycles since the operation, the first one was like a normal period, lasted 5 days and went through 2 pads on day two, I was a little disappointed, but happy it wasn’t ridiculously heavy.. but like the Dr’s keep saying, BE PATIENT.. my 2nd period was a spot, literally.. I went through all the normal symptoms like sore breasts, bloating and bitchy mood the day before, then one spot, no period pain and that was it…. Awesome! So fingers crossed my slight watery discharge disappears soon, that’s it…

It’s amazing to read how different everyone’s stories are, and must admit, I was reading these blogs all over the internet before my procedure, it created a lot of fear going in for the operation… I spoke to my Doctor about all that was being said and decided to trust my gyno… I’m really glad I did, my life has completely changed, and I no longer have to worry each month and am no longer anemic…. Good luck ladies, it’s a really tough decision with so much information out there with mostly the bad and not so much the good, but reading these posts have been a blessing all the same…
I had the nova sure  done about 30 days ago, well unfortunately for me, I still have heavy periods and bad cramps. Spoke with my Dr. he explains I need to aleast give my body 3 months before I could see results well I'm still awaiting the change.
I just had a Nova Sure ablation about 11 days ago.  My internal medicine doctor kept insisting I go to a Ob/gyn doctor.  My periods have been very heavy for about 2 1/2 years now and I was constantly anemic.  I decided to finally do something about it.  The first couple of days I cramped a little but not very bad.  Starting yesterday the cramps have become very painful to where I'm having trouble sleeping.  I have never had really bad cramps and these are right above my pubic bone, I only have a slight watery pink discharge but the pain is very bad, Is this normal?
Just had the Novasure done yesterday. No problems whatsoever! I had some cramping right after the procedure and then when I got home. I took some Motrin as soon as I got home and the cramps went away. I took more Motrin right before bed and I haven't had any cramps since. I don't have any bleeding or discharge at all. I'm beginning to wonder if my doctor actually did the procedure?!!  So far, great experience with no problems.  
I had the Novasure Ablation 4 days ago in an outpatient hospital setting.  The procedure went fine but I had a little trouble waking from general anesthesia and I vomited during the recovery period. When I woke from anesthesia I felt horrible pain and they put pain meds in my IV. When I got home I took the meds that were prescribed and slept most of the evening. I only had light spotting and clear discharge. The next day I felt great. But day three I felt horrible and started bleeding like a period. I couldn't go 4 hours without the meds. I had trouble caring for myself. Day 4 was much the same. But this pain isn't exactly cramps. It's more like muscle soreness I think from my uterus being manipulated and scraped during surgery. I had the ablation, Hysteroscopy and D&C at the same time. I am praying this works for me as I bleed for the previous 90 days nonstop. And as far as I'm concerned, any doctor performing this in an office with just pain pills should lose their license. It makes me wonder if they ave ever really been trained on this procedure. There were a team of doctors and nurses in the OR with me so I know this procedure is too painful for an office setting.  I'm gasy, and still a little constipated but I'm taking it easy so that I can get the best possible outcome for me. I'm praying forvall of us. It's hard being a woman sometimes.  
I had the procedure at the end of March 2011. I had discharge for 4 weeks and then it stopped at the end of April. Two weeks later I started bleeding, clots and then the pain begasn. Excrutiating stabbing pains in both sides that radiated in to my back like a back labor. I continued to bleed and at three weeks of this I went to the ER and saw a gyny who said oh that's normal. I finally stopped bleeding nearly 5 weeks after it started and still have pain thank heavens not as severe all the time. I have an appointment with the Gyny next week and hope he will just do a hysterectomy. I can take the bleeding I just can't take the pain. This can't be normal!
I had a novasure ablation in 09/08 and I had abdominal pain for over two years every single day!  It was worse than bloating or gas pain!  During the ablation, my uterus was burned completely through in two spots and the large colon was also burned!  Day and night, I suffered with abdominal pain and as far as it helping my periods to be lighter, that never happened.  In fact, I had to be put on a low dose of progesterone to completely stop my periods after the ablation because they were worse!  This procedure did not help at all and it has complicated my life; I still unexpectedly will get a menses with horrible  ovary/uterus pain!  I would not have had this procedure done if I knew what I know now.    
I had a D&C and Novasure Ablation In May of 2010. I bled and had a Locchia like discharge for nearly 6 weeks after. When it finally settled down I picked up my routine of a 5 day period every 3-4 weeks. It was much lighter than I was used to. I could finally use regular pads rather than 3-4 Tena Incontinence pads at a time as I had used to do, so I called it a win. I had the procedure done because I had been clinically anemic for some 6 years and ended up being hospitalized for pneumonia when my Hemoglobin level dropped to 7. My Gyn pushed hard for a Hysterectomy but I had just had a Tubal Ligation reversal done 5 years before and wasn't ready to face giving up completely. Logically I knew our chances of having a baby were over but emotionally I wasn't there yet. After having me burst into tears each time he brought up a hysterectomy, my doctor gave up and suggested the D&C and Ablation. An Ultrasound had found 3 fibroids so he thought it might buy me time until Menopause (I am now 48).
He wasn't able to destroy more than 90% of my uterine lining due to it's elongated shape, but was confident he'd done enough. For nearly a year it seemed so. In Mid February of this year I had what seems to be my last 'normal' period. March and April were no more than light spotting. When May didn't arrive and I started to have nausea, a 'heavy' abdominal feeling and breast tenderness with a small amount of breast milk, I broke down and had a blood pregnancy test done. It came back negative.
I had switched doctors since the procedure, so new guy did an internal. He never palpated my uterus for tenderness although I complained cramps, bloating and of knife-like pains when I bear down. He did discover that my cervix had healed shut with scar tissue, a known complication of the Novasure procedure. he punctured it and said he immediately saw old blood seeping out and I should drain ok now.That was Friday. On Monday the cramping and heavy feeling were worse with still no bleeding. He had me scheduled for a return visit so he looked and found I had sealed shut again. Again he opened the 'Os" and told me he got a good bit of old blood coating the cervical brush he used. He told me it should now relieve the pressure and I should expect to bleed. I did not.
Today is Wed, they're not in the office and I am in misery. The pain feels like someone filled my uterus with glass shards. I am blown up tight like a balloon and can barely stand to move my lower body in any way. I had a bowel movement earlier and the pain was so intense I got dizzy. I can't imagine any of this being normal.
I searched and found this thread because I was concerned about the possibility of sepsis, After reading similar posts I am even more worried about that and other possible things. I have had a low fever for several days now that the Ibuprofin usually knocks down. Unfortunately it does very little to help with the pain.
My doctor had a pelvic x-ray done on Monday to see if my uterus was enlarged. He said it wasn't but that I was evidently constipated as he could see large gas pockets in my intestinal tract. News to me as I had not been having any unusual stools or irregularity. I am scheduled for an ultrasound on the 30th to see if anything else is going on. I live in a very rural area so apparently if you ain't dying you don't need the newfangled equipment right now.
The cramping has been going on for 3 weeks now and only is getting worse. Right now the pain is so intense it's hard to concentrate and I feel nauseous from the intensity of it.
I really don't know what to do. If I go to the ER I will probably be kicked right back out again. I am worried that this is only the beginning of something worse but don't know how I can get anyone to believe me.
Tracey
my pain started right away so as i had done 06 aug started coughing up blood my doctor said i didnt have a tub in throat right side pain that never goes away everything wears me out  urin that looks like pus in it doctors that think your nuts brush you off pain is so bad lay on ice all night even nest day looked like i poured scoulded water on side from ice burning it  idont wish this on my worst enemy most of the time i cant even touch my side feels inflamed i wish i knew what i could do for myself its been pure hell i ust to raise dogs i had to find them all homes cause i could no longer do that anymore it broke my heart  we live in america cant even get any answers want to send ya to painmagament ive been dealing with this myself that is what i willkeep doing  then tell me im depressed  not at all i want fixed  not the run around ive been getting been to 3 emergency rooms cause pain so bad i can take alot had two babies didnt get nothing for pain first er room wanted to know if i came wanting drugs i said no im in pain second one says are you pregnant i said no husband is fixed then asks have you been messing around on husband i said no i have not novasure ruined my life at least i know im not alone since no one wants to believe you all are my sisters so if you have any information for me iwould like to know this feels like a poisoning
Yes, I have been in pain every since I had this procedure done in March 2010. It was not so bad after the initial bleeding stopped. When the bleeding stopped the pain is worst. I look like I am four months pregnant. I regret having this procedure done. I cycles were only bad for the first 2 days. I just regret this procedure. The doctor stated with a thick uterus there is a risk of cancer and that was my concern.
ive had pain all the time since 06 had 8 ct scans colonopys done blood test and still get no answers  lay on ice day night been to emergency rooms doctor after doctor my pain stays its always there been to urology no answers there urine that looks like pus in it feels like down by appendicts up by the liver just to tender to touch i feel swelled on right side alot of time i cry there is nothing i can do ive tried to help my self ive told kids if i die make sure you get an altopsey ive had two kids didnt evenget an asprin giving birth to them so i can handle pain but not this kind of pain there is something wrong everyone has the same proublemi started getting kidney infections soon after i had this done i get them alot now so bad i pass blood when i wipe had blood clots in urine that feel like my insides wanna drop out been to at least 2 urology one said see ya nexst year by the way we dont think you have a hole in your bladder go have another ct scan you must have kidney stones  no we dont see any  oh you have a cyst on right overies go to gyn i tell gyn that a little cyst wouldnt be causing me allthis pain he puts his hand on me and i jump he says thats your uterus was that you i said ya tender there then he sends me on my way i dont want no one going threw what im going threw i hate living this way my mom would tell me well the doctors cant be wrong im laying down feeling this way cause i want to i ust to tell myself must be all in my head i see all the stuff on here i know its not idont know where to go from here if i can help someone who is thinking about having it done dont there is alot on fda about novasure bowl burns holes bladder perfored uterus the machines not working right the thing not folding down when taking out of uterus the machine at the tip melting having a sharp tip on the front they new what could happen thats why you sign a waiver so you could keep spending your money to try find whats wrong and they can keep telling women thats its safe and a 5 second  proublems are over still advertising makes me mad as hell that they didnt say this up front and some doctors never did this before wasnt even exsperinced i was thinking this was nothing like piece of cake was i ever wrong i believed that i would get some answers or someone willing to help me i woulnt let a dog suffer like this  it boils down like this its all about money if i was some doctors wife  or sister family  id get help every day the same cant waite for my birthday like every year to fill like crap just like my 25 anvesery being married fun laying on ice all day night  really  ***** i have nothing to look forward to same old sameold sheila
I went in on Sept. 2nd 2011 for a hystrocopy dnc & oblasion with Nova-sure. I was originally suppose to do a laporscopic hystorectomy leaving cervix possibly tubes/ovaries. With young kids and not alot help thought Nova-sure would help my horrible periods. So anyways I wen about 6 am that morning surgery was planned for 7:30. I was put completely to sleep with tube down my throat in a surgery center. I woke up about 9:45. Literally the moment my eyes open intense pain hit! I curled up in fetal position clutching my abdominal area crying in pain. The nurse gave me shot which did nthing really for the pain. I was finally released about 10:30 as I was outpatient. My husband told me my doctor said that my uterus was 8 inches when normal is around 3 inches. So he had to do different version of the Nova-sure as regular was designed for a smaller uterus. I cried the entire way home & most the evening. I was taken Lor-tab 5/500 with ancetaminophen every 4 hours (sorry spelling bad). This hard took edge off at all & I used heating pad alot tryin ease pain. The first evening on day surgery I threw up at least 6 times, couldn't eat, and hardly slept. The 2nd day I had alot cramping, severe stabbing pain in my left side. I was able to eat small amounts & sleep some. Today is day three, which has been the worst! I have had horrible pressure/pain in my abdominal area & the worst burning sensation EVER! It is like horrible sun burn. The burn/pain is coming from the inside but on the outside skin is cold. It's goes around my entire waist even my back burning. The pain is from belly button level down into my pelvic area. Nothing is relieving this pain! I will say thought this entire time my bleeding has been a light flow bright to medium pink color. I trust my doctor completely & I know that he wouldn't done surgery if he thought I have any reactions. he been my doctor for years & delivered my daughter. But I don't know if this pain is normal or not & it worries me. I don't got for my post-opp till 19th (15 days). I don't think this is normal reaction though. A little more about me I am 25 right now. Had a emergency c-section May 2006. Then a pre-planned c-section & tubal done January 2011.....
i hate feeling this way eyery day i wish there was something i could do for all of us living in pain i know i have to keep going back to doctor its been 5 years no answers i feel like im on fire im 48 if i can tell one person dont get this novasure done they wont suffer like i have done crying yourself to sleep is not fun blader bowl issues before i could do 4 things at once now its laying down allthe time having labor pains is nothing compared to this i really wanted to go to emergency room sat been paying on one since 07 got me no where i know i will go when im on my dealth bed why cant we get any help if we all had lots of money we could get some help money talks ******** walks sheila
I just to thank you for taking the time to share your story.  I found it very vey helpful.  At least I know that I am not alone and there is a possible answer for the pain I have been enduring.  Thanks again I will look into this further
I had Nova Sure done in Oct of 2009 b/c I had heavy, painful periods. Due to my schedule the doc recommended I do the ablation instead of a hysterectomy. Well, for the first year and 3 months...NovaSure was the best thing I had ever done. No pain, no cramping, no period, However in Jan of 2011 the pain started...and I mean pain. Went to a doc who told me it was not pain in the female area and I got diagnosed with IBS and then he performed surgery on me...to explore the issue...and he found nothing. So, pain continued and he basically told me he was through with me and sent me to another doc, who said...oh yeah it's just IBS...gave me meds 4 it...and sent me on my way. Then I went to the ER and they said I had thickening of the Uterine Wall and fluid in my uterus...and they gave me meds...and said abdominal pain is tricky...and sent me to another doc...who said...hmmmmm I don't know what it is...and we may never know..So I went to another doc(gyno) who said your pain is unreal...how are you dealing with this. I have never seen anyone in so much pain. I was literally screaming in his office in pain. He discoverd a mass of tissue in my uterus and referred me to his friend who is a gyno surgeon who told me this is not uncommone in paitients that have had Nova Sure. So now I am getting a hysterectomy soon! Tissue shed in my uterus and has built up. Pain is unimaginable...I take advil, tylenol, percocet, hydrocodone..you name it and it is USELESS to me. If I had to be in pain like this the rest of my life I would rather die. Pain starts in LRQ of abdomen and twists and contracts until it moves over to middle of pelvic region into back and down legs..and then LLQ. IT IS ISANE PAIN that lasts for hours and sometimes days with no relief. DO NOT HAVE NOVA SURE done. It will ruin your life.
I found a study online that had 100 participants who had novasure done.  Of those 100, 17 had a tubal done at the same time. The only patients with problems were the ones that had a tubal at the same time as the novasure and all 17 had experienced problems.  I had both done and feel like I have contractions in my uterus and constant pain on both sides.  If you are experiencing the same symptoms and had both performed at the same time maybe we can get some representation because back in 06 I was told it was perfectly safe to perform both procedures at once. And obviously it isn't!
I had the ablation done in Oct, 2010.  I was told it was picture perfect. I too had had persistant bleeding for approximately 4 months prior.  After the ablation, I continued to bleed, rather heavily until February when I stopped completely.  I was so relieved and thought I was good to go.  Then in June, I had a extremely painful episode, below my belly button, more prominient on the right side all the way thru to my back, but no bleeding.  It lasted for about 3 days then was gone.  In July, the pain was so severe, my husband was taking me to the ER, as I stood up there was a sudden gush of blood, and the pain stopped.  The next month, the same thing. Excruciating pain, that Advil did not touch.  I called my gyn and they said to take more Advil, and come to the office the next day.  They recommended an ultra sound that I had to wait 2 weeks to have.  They did give me some Vicodin, but you can't be productive and take it.  I had the ultrasound that showed fluid in my uterus.  My Dr. recommended that we schedule a D & C. I had asked about just having the hysterectomy as I had already spent thousand on the ablasion, but my doctor felt the D & C would do the trick.  I had the D & C 2 weeks ago, and starting today, the pain is back.
I had mine done completely seperate from a tubal...and let me tell you I feel like I am in labor nearly everyday. I just went to the doc and had another pricey ultrasound done and they said that many women continue to have periods after the procedure but the scar tissue causes the cervix to seal shut and what little bit of a cycle you have gets trapped inside of you....and over time the pain gets worse....b/c there is more fluid trapped inside. Therefore, your body does all it knows to do....to try and get rid of it. CONTRACTIONS!  I can't beleive that we are all going through. This was supposed to help, not hurt us. All of my fellow ladies out there. This is rediculous....we should not have to deal with this pain. Worst of all it is reallllllly difficult to get a doc to listen to you. Lets all stay updated on this.
runtoo i finally after 5 long long years is  since 06 i have found a doctor who is going to help me get  a hysterectomy he will have a urologist there to see what needs done  dont give up trying to find answers no one should ever have to live this way  sheila
I had Nova Sure a year and a half ago. Before it, I I had severe clotted bleeding, lower back pain, and really bad migraines. Not to mention staying in bed with a heating pad for days at a time. As soon as I had t he procedure, I felt ten times better. I had some bleeding like a light period, turning to the brownish discharge that lastest for about two weeks. Other than that, my symptoms have completely resolved.

About 5 months ago, I started gaining my spare tire that I cannot get rid of. In addition, I have swelling around my abdomen that I have never suffered from before. The other thing is I have become extremely gassy. I went in for a colonoscopy because of the gassyness and pain I thought was associated. Nothing out ofthe ordinary was found and told that I have IBS. Just hte last month I have had sharp stabbing pain intermittently just to the left of my belly button. I went in for a vaginal ultrasound that they said showed fibroids or a adenomyosis. Which is basically what I had before the oblasion. Now I need an MRI. Not sure what to think but I am super worried now about  the other posts. I was trying to avoid a total hyst because of the HRT drugs and side effects. Really bummed now :(
runtoo was suppost to have a constalation  for hysterectomy but gyn says cant be my proublem i told her read all these wants keep doing the same test  ultrasond peliv area uterus and gallblader (gallbladder)  how long does everyone have to suffer just had a pap test 6 11 11 now today 10 25 11 had another one i see why everyone gets discourage why wont anyone listen dont they hear how much pain we live in each everyday wanted to do another urin culture i wouldnt let her all oher ones come back saying contaimuated get kidney infections all the time right side pain never goes away urin looks like pus in it ive tried since 06 to get help for myself everything wears me out  if anyone could tell me what i need to do  im all out of ideas i was so bad sat i was readdy to go to emergency room this is very bad bad pain it feels like blood traped in uterus  feels like a poisoning  i know our pain is real im tired being told i dont drink enough water it dont help today i got asked why i take pain pills dau for pain most days dont even help isaid i lay ice day night oh that helps yea when you dont burn your side from the ice doctor should be reporting what they find i am so tired of getting the run around this is my 4 gyn  or more  4 0r more urlogist  and alot of doctors and i have gotten no where sheila
I had the novasure procedure done on 10-24-11 for heavy bleeding, I thought this would help, The first day I was so sick, labor pain cramping, throwing up, then the pain went away and the light bleeding I had stopped, then yesterday I started cramping so bad, if felt like I was having another baby and a gush of blood came running out and lasted 15 minutes and then stopped. Today I am having alot of cramping and pain on my left side and every now and then in the middle of my abdomen. I saw my doctor on saturday 10-29 who told me she thought I was over the worse part and things will get better, but they do not feel like they are getting better, If this pain does not stop I will be going back and asking for a hysterctomy, I feel like I am having a baby all over again.
had hysterscopy, D & C and Nova Sure Ablation on Oct. 20 2011.  Easy as pie, heavy bleeding stopped BUT AT TEN DAY CHECK UP ON 11/1/11 dr said pathology report shows endometrial cancer, grade one but must do full radical hysterectomy because ablation may have disturbed things.   Also will need radiation.   PLEASE HAVE BIOPSY BEFORE YOUR ABLATION!!!
I had a Novasure procedure less than three weeks ago. Everything have gone wrong. To begin, less than two days after the procedure, I began running a fever of 103* with severe back/stomach pains that required me to go to the ER. I continue to have a discharge (b/c I don't know if it is a period or a discharge) that is brownish/ reddish with a foul odor. I still have ab pains so severe that I've had to take time off work, which was the reason for having the Novasure to treat my heavy painful periods. I am terribly exhausted, more than previously. Novasure has made my life a living nightmare. Please post information about class action lawsuits. This product needs to be banded before others experience this awful situation.
I had the novasure procedure done on 11/18/11  for heavy bleeding I had been bleeding for 3 years without stopping I also had to have a blood transfusion because of the lose of blood. the day I had the procedure done I woke up with cramps but had allot of pain meds so dident feel that bad. about 2 days after I started in with the worse cramps I have ever had  The pain was first in my lower pelvis and pressure on the rectum it makes me cry it feels like I have to poop and I cant there's not much blood at this time but then I big blood clot will come out with allot of blood the cramps just don't go away I have been in bed with a heating pad all week Today the pain moved to my whole lower abdomen with  pressure on the rectum still I dont know but it just dont seem right to me. I was reading on some of your storys and one stood out posted by
Yetanotherwoman I was thinking it might be that the clots are blocking the blood from coming down I called my doc on monday the 21st of Nov he said cramping was norm but today is Friday the 24th day after Thanksgiving and I am still in so much pain should I still be in allot of pain you think I should call my Doc back?
Finally, I found a doc who listened to me. He said that I need to have a hysterectomy to prevent my complications of the novasure procedure. I am scheduled for surgery on Dec 20th. I cannot wait! I feel sooo bad for all of you ladies that are suffering along with me. We thought we were gonna be in better shape by opting for Novasure...but instead we have all ended up spending a lot of time hurting and a lot of money going from doc to doc, xrays, exams, ER visits, additional surgeries and procedures...and so on. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery for your situation. Keep looking there are doctors out there that know about the downside of uterine ablation. Prayers to you all.
I had the Novasure April 2007 and 3 years of bliss. I thought it was the best thing ever and then the cramps and bloating started for the past 18 months I have been to the ER 4 times and had multiple CT scans and ultrasounds. The tech asked me" oh did you have novasure?" I said yes and she said she is seeing this more and more a few years after. Severe adenomyosis and the only treatment is hysterectomy. I am scheduled for December 16th. Davinci surgery. Am scared to death. This is my 14th operation in 7 years as I am a breast cancer survivor, but I live on percocet to help control all the pain. Cramps, bloating, legs throbbing, nausea and vomiting and very emotional.  It is so aweful!!!  I have nearly passed out from the pain. I do not recommend Novasure. It is the reason I am in this much pain!! DONT DO IT!!
I too had novasure done in 2006. I have had a few issues along the way that my gyn just dismissed. Now, I have severe stomach cramping, to the point that I break out in a sweat, followed by vomiting and/or runny bowels. I have had several tests ran to rule out other things but it all keeps coming back to this novasure matter. There are so many blogs & women suffering from all of the same issues that it is clear...novasure is not all it's cracked up to be. The trouble is...I haven't found a doctor yet to admit there is a problem. The last gastro that I saw wanted me to see a shrink because he thinks this is all in my head. I don't know what to do or where to turn but seeing everyone else's story tells me I am not as crazy as I feel at this point.
I had my NovaSure Ablation in Feb 2011 and although I have not bled any longer and the abdominal pain has decreased significantly, I am having excruciating lower back pain. I had a fall 2-3 years ago and did injure my back and hip along with my shoulder and thumb, but I am wondered if the pain is worse now because of the ablation? has anyone had lower back pain after this procedure?
I am so glad I found this site, I had my Novasure procedure about a month ago and had no problems at all, 1 day of light spotting and that was it. Now however it is a month later and time for my normal period. I am not bleeding at all but am having the severe pain and cramping that everyone is describing. I called my OBGYN 3 days ago only to have the nurse tell me this is normal. I just called and left another message because this is NOT normal. I had heavy and painful periods before Novasure but this pain is different and worse and now after reading here I am very concerned.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and I hope you all find a pain free solution! Merry Christmas.
I would like to thank you all for the posts. I was considering doing this proceedure but after reading all your posts it  changed my mind. Hoping everyone feels better, good luck!
Ive been having ALL the symptoms everyone here is describing. Been going through hell for the past three months. Six months to the day Ive been in horrible labor type pains as well when my period would supposed to roll around. I spot..the pain in unreal..went to ER and of course they look at you like youre crazy. Went to a new ob/gyn who said prob an infection..gave me meds..did nothing. Looked up Adenomyosis and this is it. They want to do a hysterectomy.uterus only. My only option. This is so depressing. I too have had the bloating, feel swelling..odd symptoms..all since this surgery..WHICH I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE!!!! DO NOT DO IT !!!!
I am wondering how informed many of the folks on this forum were prior to their procedures.  My MD gave me the option of a hysterectomy or Novasure.  We went with the Novasure with the understanding that if it didn't work then my next option would be a hysterectomy.  So far so good, though I am only one month out from the procedure.  My doc made it very clear that the only thing this would help with was the heavy bleeding and that it would do nothing for the cramping and other problems that I had monthly due to endometriosis.  I can no longer take birth control pills due to a blood clot in my lung so I was running out of options. She also explained the risks (to include many of the complaints listed here) and that typically a hysterectomy would be advised for any of these complications. The Novasure was painless and really only took one day out of my life.  Definitely worth trying before a very invasive surgery.  If I have increased problems in the future then the next step is to pursue the hysterectomy.  Give this a try- if it does work you will be so glad that you did it.  If it doesn't then you will know that you tried everything prior to a hysterectomy.  For the folks that said they didn't need a hysterectomy prior to this procedure- If you were not having severe problems with your cycles then you were not a candidate for the procedure to begin with!   Do not base your decision on reading forums alone- talk to your doctor about your concerns.  Keep in mind that the majority of people that have a successful outcome never post on a forum, but that every person who has had an actual or perceived problem does.  Talk to your doc about the actual risk and you will get the most accurate and current information.  
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I'll be honest, it scared the hell out of me a little.  I'm a 38 year old mother of three...my youngest is 10 months old...and I have a consultation in a week to discuss Novasure.  Reading what you posted...it's nice to have someone say something positive and informative...rather than negative and full of fear.  I have had two friends have this procedure done back in 2007 with success so this option seemed very positive to me...considering a hysterectomy is my only other option.  Thanks for the great post.  It has helped a lot!
Any answers?  I'm having the same thing!
I have to agree with margaretRN. My doctor explained all of this to me before he would even let me say I was considering the procedure- including the must have hysterectomy if the incident occurs. I had the Novasure done a couple of days ago in the doctors office. He gave me 2 Valium and 2 percocet to take 1 hour before. I do not normally ever take pain meds besides an aleve and after these meds my procedure was a breeze. I did throw up some later on, but we think it was because I had not eaten and was not use to those meds. Besides that I have only had some slight discharge for the past few days. My advise - ask, ask, ask and if your doctor still throws out that medical dictionary of terms, ask him to draw you a picture. Write down all your questions and take them with you and get them answered beforehand. I have had quite a few people I know have this done (the longest with the Novasure was around 4 years ago I think) and all have been with great results.  
I had the uterine ablation done in Dec2010 .I have had nothing but problems,every month I bleed for 3days then I have this brown discharge for aboutt two weeks,my stomach stays bloated for 3weeks out the month, causing my back to have severe pain,I feel like im in labor constantly no pain meds work.Does anyone know pain relief for this cause im outa things to do.
I had the procedure in 2007 because of extremely heavy, painful periods. My procedure was done under general anesthesia as outpatient surgery. I had a lot of pain for a couple of days, but was fine after that. Nothing some Percocet couldn't handle. Prior to surgery, my periods had started to last for 2 weeks.  Since the surgery, they last 3-4 and are light. Having had periods that lasted 8 days since I was 13, 3-4 days is great though I'd prefer to have been lucky enough to have no period at all. I have not had any problems or complications to date.

I had my novasure done in 2008 and never had another period again, however, the last several months I started having menstrual cramps once month.  But for the last 2 months I have had severe, debilitating cramps non-stop.  I have read several comments and yours is the one that most resembles what I have been feeling.  I have not yet talked to my dr. about this but was searching for some answers for the pain.  Thank you and I KNOW this is not in your head, there are too many of us experiencing the same or similar problems.
Since your procedure how are things ACUTALLY going? I am only 1 month out and have had my first menses since Novasure which was pretty light. Only problem is daily spotting and some cramping. Not sure where this issue may lead with reading all the horror stories posted. I too was well informed and even contacted NovaSure organization prior to having procedure . I just want some acutal facts as to how a person who has had this procedure prior to myself. Any unsual side effects?  LIbido issues? Bloated? Cramps more so than before procedure?  Each of us are different and will respond differently to the procedure I am just trying to get actual non exagerated response.
Jackie
Years ago when my kids were very young, I had what everyone thought was recurring yeast infections.  I was still breast feeding and my doctor even thought maybe I was estrogen deprived from that.  Turns out, after months of suffering, scraping off skin from horrible itching, which lead to more pain and burning, Diflucan meds, yeast creams, stopping breast feeding, using estrogen creams, through a biopsy it turned out to be lichen sclerosis.  Its one of those auto immune things, no known cause, no known cure. Its treated with  topical steriods but you have to be careful not to use too much. Maybe this is what you have. Go to a dermatologist if your gyn doesn't get it. At that time the only way to diagnosis it was a biopsy.  Good luck.
Thank you for sharing your stories. You have helped me make a decision.
I pray you all find relief for your pain.
I had the NovaSure with no ligation and I am having the exact same symptoms described by most women on this post.  EXTREME pain with my period (starts a few days before) in my lower abdomen and my back.  This really stinks.  For a year and a half I was wonderful........not worth it!
As I understand it this forum is for people to communicate regarding real symptoms, problems questions, etc.  I was very informed and had educated myself for months prior to the procedure.  I did go online and looked at forums such as this before I made the decision with my long-time doc to have the procedure. I was very happy with the results following the procedure.  I did have a period like my doc informed me I probably would, but it was very light and I had very little cramping.  I thought this is how "normal" was and what I had been missing for years!   I started having trouble over a year and half following my procedure. I wanted to know if others were having issues, and if what I was experiencing was "normal".  My doc did NOT say that I was a candidate for a hysterectomy prior to this procedure.  HOWEVER, he did say that I was a great candidate for NovaSure and I have to say that they are not one and the same.  Your symptoms can be much, much milder and your issues not nearly as severe to be a candidate for NovaSure and not even be in the discussion for a hysterectomy.  There is a big, big difference.  Now, I am positive that my doc who has been with me since he delivered my son 18 years ago is qualified and I trust him.  I don't know why so many people seem to have issues way after the procedure.  It seems like something that needs to be looked at.   And LeahNC, we can only post from our own experiences.  Our posts may seem full of fear to you because we ARE full of fear!  We are experiencing pain, a lot of it.  It is scary and miserable.  So you and Margaret should remember that people post on here BECAUSE they are scared and want to know that they are not alone not just to talk those of you who have not had the procedure into or out of it.  
i have had the novasure done june 19th, of course doctor told me no sex, baths, tampons or heavy lifting. went for my follow up and he said everything is minimal. but if it is minimal when will the bleeding stop. i get so sick of it. wishing i could where the tampons. hate the sanitary napkins. i feel like i was a teenager again with the icky leaking and all. have a little pain on the left side right now. my gf told me to wait like 3 more weeks. thinking this is worse than after having a child. seems to go on forever
I'm aware that every woman's reaction to this procedure will be different but so many of the complications on this post are so similar. I had the Novasure ablation with a tubal done in 2008 and had very few problems for years afterwards. Although it didn't stop my period, it did curb the heavy bleeding which gave me my life back at the time. Currently, my cramps and bleeding are so severe I take time off from work and can't leave bed. The bleeding lasts over a month at times. My GYN who is also a DO is unable to obtain a biopsy due to the severe scarring from the ablation and we've learned the procedure scarred my cervix closed with the exception of a pin hole. This is causing the blood to pool in my uterus until it lets go from the pressure. I now need a hysterectomy which I would've been happy to do instead of the ablation had I known the complications. If you're considering this procedure, please do your homework and consider the long term benefits and complications.
i had the nova sure done on july 16 2012 , and i have been bleeding since .it has slowed down to a light to to dark reddish brown but is still there .it is really driving me crazy and there is no sex life due to the blood . it has been 4 weeks and cramping and blooding and the dredfull pad .will it ever stop and is it safe to bleed this long .
I had the Novasure procedure done April 18,2011 along with a D&C and tuba-ligation. I went through the surgery just fine, had minimum cramping and had the discharge for about 4 weeks. I felt great after that and my periods have came to a total stop. Fast forward a year later, I am having bad pains in my uterus,ovaries that radiates down into my upper legs, lower back/tailbone area, groins and vaginal area. My breast also swells,becomes painful and hot feeling right around the time I used to have a period and I bloat like I'm 4 months pregnant! The pains seems to be present all month long but worse when I'm ovulating or right when I'm supposed to have a period. When the stomach pains first started I thought I had the stomach flu, but then the pains kept getting stronger to the point I went to the emergency room. While there they checked me for appendicitis, kidney, bladder, gallbladder and liver stones which all came out fine and they sent me home saying it was a stomach bug and I had no infection in my body. I got curious and started researching my pains on-line and was horrid to see that so many other women are having the exact same issues I'm having! I tried to call my primary care (old one now) and she couldn't see me till the second week of September so I went and got a new doctor I get to see on the 27Th. I can't go back to the OBGYN that did my surgery, his officer is no longer in my insurance's "network" and will only send me if I get a referral form my primary care. The only thing that brings me relief at the moment is a heating pad, Motrin and warm bath soaks. I also got into a discussion with a friend of mine that had the same procedure done in October. I lost touch with her for a few months and when I re-connected with her she was telling me that she had the opposite,she bled like a hog and had the exact same pains. Just like the rest of the women I have encountered and read on the blogs she had to have a hysterectomy on New Years day this year. I'm hoping that this new doctor will be able to shed some light on what's going on inside me, this pain is about to drive me nuts. I have no energy, I'm tired all the time, moody and I'm tired of feeling like this!
I AM EXPERIENCING all that and more.  

I had an ablation Oct. 2011 and around Christmas Time 2011 I started having all types of gastrointestinal issues.. Upper, Lower... the pain, down in the stomach area where my uterus is would be, was so bad that if I moved I felt like I was being stabbed.  My periods finally stopped completed in June 2012.   In August of 2012 the pain became so intense I passed out.  I've had an upper GI, an MRI, Radioactive die, and a colonoscopy.. all came back normal.  As I'm typing this I am having the intense pain that caused me to faint.   I feel like I should be having my period but I'm not.  I'm so bloated I can't eat.  It's HORRIBLE.  

I have an appt. with OB-GYN in Oct. and I'm going to ask him about all this.. I can't continue to function at work with this type of pain for a week out of every month.
I to had the novasure ablation and i;m experiencing cramps and pinkish brown watery discharge and spots of blood this has start a week after my surgery i got the surgry on sept 7 2012 and im still cramped up on my lower part of my abdomen like on the ovaries is it okay to be take mortin everyday due to the pain
I had the mine done on the same day along with a dnc and I have been filled with gas, but I haven't had a period yet and I don't know when it's suppose to come. It didn't come on the normal date that it use to come but I did get the symptoms. I think I'm going to try some Gas x to at least help with the gas pains.
I had this procedure done 05/07 here I am 10/12 and the reason I had the surgery has returned. When I bleed for my cycle- I BLEED! I stand up and drop clots... this is nuts. I can't get a dr to listen to me and none of them will even consider a hysterectomy. Ive gotten several second opinions. getting no where. ......

I had one dr tell me I needed the procedure again. I'm not going to be on the 5 year plan until I hit menopause..
If I had to do it again, I'd turn around and run!!!  I had this procedure done in 9/2006.  On 10/19/2012, I had a diag. lapro. done to fine the pain in my abdomen (I have to ad that I finally found a doctor that would do this, instead of telling me I was fine).  She found my entire uterus fused to my abdomen just below my belly button.  3/4 of my uterus was "fused" people.  Basically, my uterus melted into my abdomen, and that's what was causing my pain, inability to tolerate solid foods, back aches, leg aches, and excrutiating cramps for six years of my life.  I'm so angry, I lost six years of my life to this stupid procedure.  I say, "I lost six years of my life", because all I could do in those six years was lay around in agony, go to countless doctors only to be turned away, or I was told I had fibromyalgia, or they gave me anti-depressants, or they told me I need to see a shrink.  That's why I say I lost six years of my life.  I didn't have the energy to live life.  Between the pain, and lack of sleep, I felt horrible for six damn years.  If you are considering this procedure, please, please consider alternate routes.  You may become one of us, and then have to deal with constant pain, and a feeling of being uncomfortable for the rest of your life.  I am one of those people, and if I could turn back the clock, I would NEVER have done this procedure!!!!
I had my Novasure done in 11. And I have pain every day from it and bleed sometimes for 9 days in a row. *****!
I am having pain constantly after my ablation. Today for exampe.. Hurting and bleeding. I am uncertain of what my next step is.. but I feel as tho I may have a cyst on my right overay as for that's where I hurt the most. The pain is like waves of pain from my right side to my left side. and Motrin won't cut it. Neither will Vicoden. Going back to theGYN on Monday. Thanks for your insight! :)
I had the novasure procedure 12/23/12 and in May I have had very painful abdominal pain the pain is in my lower stomach & it cause me to have hot flashes when the pain is intense.
i had my ablation/hysteroscoy/biopsy done on the 7/7/13 as in would bleed from ovulation through to end of period  (roughly 2-3 weeks)... couldnt believe the pain when i woke up in recovery! Womb spasms for 6 hours....basically 1 HUGE contraction :( Kept in overnight due to pain and was allowed home next day with very strong painkillers which i took for 4 days. Usual discharge as others have mentioned but when my date was getting close for my next cycle i was hoping for no period. As usual came right on time...THE PAIN... very severe cramps, so back on my meds, leg cramps, headaches hot sweats and brownish smelly discharge for 4 days now light bleeding and bloating - I actually look about 5 months pregnant.  I wish i had insisted on the hysterectomy as i never had these issues before. I just feel like crying :(

I had Novasure in 2010, and in 2013, felt a popping sensation, and worst pain in my life is how I would describe it.  I am post-menopausal, but that has not prevented intense all day, all night anguish with labor-like cramps, bloating, diarrhea.   I don't ordinarily take pain medication, but 4 naproxen per day didn't touch it.   I've read other histories of morphine not helpful, and I believe it.  I spent 8 days in bed, and walk now like I'm an invalid.  A moment before it happened, I was running, swimming, gardening, the works, so why bother talking to an MD who is going to recommend a colonoscopy, cystoscopy or a psychiatrist?   I look 5 months pregnant, and believe that this procedure is promoted when a hysterectomy is probably most recommended.  With new health insurance upcoming, I'm going to consult an Asian health specialist about the damage this highly profitable procedure has doubtless done to my body.    
I am sickened by the trained sterile responses of Nova-Sure practitioners  and their trained office assistants towards women who have endured the unintended and untreatable internal fire of the decade's latest gynecology gimmick.  How many of these posts would be here 10 years ago?  It is a factory!  I am hoping there will be the momentary relief of a class action lawsuit.  
your symptoms are identical to mine.  did you have hysterectomy?
How are you doing since your Novasure?  I am wondering if you had anything else done at the time too.

I have heavy bleeding and anemia.  No other issues.

Brenna
hi Brenna1964. I have just recently had a novasure and have looked on here to find out why I am in so much pain. its been 2 weeks since my op and believe to try and sleep at night and to wake up in tears is getting so unbearable. through the day I have strong like period pains. bloating and still losing a watery blood that smells disgusting. I am having to change myself every or so because I can smell myself. its horrible. as for pain and bleeding calming down for my periods that as yet I cant comment but just praying that with what I have read that its not going to be the case with me because I had this procedure on advice from my gyni . I have has 2 c sections in the past as well as a appendicestomy and wasn't in half as much pain as I am in at the moment . Jackie
I had the NovaSure procedure done 8 days ago. My Dr told me that I was a great candidate for this procedure since I have had 24 periods in the last 8 months. ( they have always been bad, but worse in the past year) I am 41, have 3 children and have no desire to ever get pregnant again. Since the procedure, the only thing I have noticed is headaches every day (which i rarely get these prior), extreme bloating to the point my baggiest pair of jeans are super tight on me (I look 4-5 months pregnant) lower dull back-aches, a heavy brownish discharge and a very foul odor when I urinate. I have called my Dr's office and was informed by the nurse that these are all normal post-op symptoms (out patient at the hospital). Can anyone tell me if this will actually truly go away or will I just have to endure this??