Pain under left ribs. Anyone?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Pain under left ribs. Anyone?

I have a sharp pain just below my ribs on the left side. Its a constant ache that is frequently visited by a sharp stabbing pain. Its been three days now. Im tierd and aggrivated. I went to the doctor on day #2. He took an x-ray and poked around. The diagnosis was diverticulitis. That night my stomache and back became numb close to the skin (just on the left sides). I called the doc. He said it should be better by morning if I took my Rx. Well, it wasnt. So I went to the ER on morning #3. There the doc tells me it isnt diverticulitis.. im just constipated. He gave me a list of laxatives to ingest. Now here I sit in just as much pain with just as much nubness and a lot less money and patience. Im scared that this is something bad and no one cares to help. Has anyone had this or know what it may be? Why is the skin on my stomache and back numb and tender. What is this pain. Any help is very welcome. Thank you.
I experienced the same issue - only on the right side (which of course involves a whole different set of organs). I was poked and prodded, had ultrasounds, blood tests, and the doctors couldn't figure it out. They ruled OUT a lot of things, but couldn't diganose me. Only now, a year later, has the daily agonising pain has finally gone away.

I spoke of my frustrations with a friend in the medical field and she said that it is not uncommon for this type of pain to go undiagnosed. It can be something as simple as a rib injury from coughing (or laughing!) to some kind of nerve damage.

So while I can't tell you what is wrong - I can tell you that it's a challenging area to diagnose as I learned from experience. Try a new doctor, or go to the emergency room. Sorry I'm not much help but I wish the best for you in finding relief.
Have you looked into costochondritis?  I think I'm spelling that correctly!  I had something similar happen to me, and that is what it turned out to be.  It was quite painful and scary for awhile, but it is something that eventually goes away.  Does it hurt more if you cough, sneeze or have any sudden movements?
Mrs. B, has your condition improved? I am experiencing the same symptoms and have yet to see a Doctor...Were you given any answers?

Miss Canada
hi I just have that and dr has predicted plurisy lnfection of the ling of lungs he has me on high doze of antibioticss antiinflamitory and emtec 3 (tylnol 3) for the pain
went for x-ray yesterday so should maybe know for sure today or monday seeing it is fridaynow
I just know how it feels thought I was having a heart attack
he said it is usually caused by underlying infection or disease
check you lymphe gland mine are swollen in the groin area
also can be caused by colds bronchitis etc
Have the doctors said anything about a cyst?
i had extremly bad pain on my left ovary and the doctor did an ultrasound and found the blood filled cyst
VICourageous commented on photo
6 mins ago
Shannon79, Des_a_rae, and pb95 commented on Des_a_rae's status
20 mins ago
jac1217 uploaded a new photo
1 hr ago
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals