Painful cramps and no period after copper coil removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I had the copper coil fitted last sept. I suffered heavier periods to the extent I couldn't go out of the house one day a month. After sex I could feel it but I persevered with it hoping it would get better. Just after Christmas I had a bout of viral fatigue-as the doctors called it. I was in bed for a few totally wiped out. During that time I had bad period like back pains and convinced myself I had copper poisoning. I was also suffering extreme anxiety. My period came and I was in such a state I decided to remove the coil myself. It came out very easily and I thought that was the end of my troubles. Since then though things have got worse. I started cramping a few days later and as the weeks went by its got worse. I feel bloated and have had hip and leg pain. I haven't had a period since-I'm a three weeker and have always been regular. I've done 6 pregnancy tests all negative and I'm 2 weeks late. I went to see my doctor who is also a gynocologist she took some swabs which I am waiting for the results, although she said she didn't see signs of infection. She did say my uterus is slightly enlarged but could be due to the fact I've had two large babies. I have to have blood tests tomorrow and an appointment to see her next week and scan to come. With my high levels of anxiety I have convinced myself I have ovarian cancer and am really worried. I don't know if it's coincidence all this started when the coil came out? As I keep hearing the copper coil does not upset cycles. Has anyone else had similar after removal?
Tags: period cramps copper coil
There are several reasons why a woman have delayed menstruation and this could be due to unhealthy diet, stress (emotional or physical), sudden weight gain or loss, caffeine, alcohol, and smoking. Gynecological conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and uterine cysts or polyps, can also bring about alteration in menstrual cycle. However, pregnancy is still the most common cause of delayed or missed period.

So if there is a history of any unprotected intercourse then pregnancy should be ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. I have had results back from the doctors of blood and swab tests. There is no infection, I am not pregnant and all my hormone levels are correct as they should be. I still have not had a period (last period beginning of January). I have a scan next week to investigate further.