Painful hot flashes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Painful hot flashes

I am a 45 year old woman. I have had my uterus removed a few years ago and am now experiencing menopause.  I also have Fibromyalgia and migraines.  For the last several months I have been getting hot flashes but the odd thing is that most but not all nights I get an electrical feeling pain along with the flash.  It is very uncomfortable and runs the course of the flash gradually lessening with it.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with my arteries or something to do with circulation as it only happens when I am laying down?  Also for several years now I have experienced pain that starts on one side of my gentitals and runs down the back of my leg (during cycle time).  Could this be associated with the painful hot flashes?  I am wondering if it could be a blockage or a circulatory problem?  Would sure appreciate some help with this.
Thank you
You said you have Fibromyalgia.. Maybe this has a connection with the pain from groin running down the leg? Have you seen a Neurologist? Maybe an MRI is in order.. Get in touch with you physician and see what he/she thinks..
Best of Luck--J
I too have the SAME type of hot flash!  The "electrical" pain.
I've not had anything removed, so I doubt your situation is related to your hysterectomy.  I'm 51 (my symtoms (symptoms) started at 49.)
As with you, it only happens when lying down.
It starts in the center of my body, and runs through my arms and legs--stopping at wrists and ankles.
Hmmmm...... I'm just glad I'm not the only one.
Oh, I haven't seen a doctor.  I have no doctor.  Nor can I afford one. (I've never had health insurance.)
So that said, I'm on no meds, no HRT.  
I just wake up every hour or so each night in pain.
But at least I know it'll only last a minute or so.  Yet it still takes me a long time to fall asleep again--sometimes only giving myself 30 minutes of "sleep" before the next "electric shock!"
I guess I'm getting used to it, but my lack of quality sleep does tend to make me very tired during the day.
Thank you sooo much for your comment.  I feel better now, knowing it's not just me.
Wow! I am 50 and I have just recently started having the same kind of "electrical hot flashes" you are describing! They start in the middle of my body and flash down my limbs- crazy!! It does disturb my sleep!! I also have had a hysterectomy (don't think that has anything to do with it) and also have fibromyalgia and migraines.  I think it's hormones. I have hot flashes during the day but not the painful kind while lying down at night. I think I'll do some more research! Sounds pretty common- it's comforting to know you're not alone!!
~Liz~
I found your comments very interesting.  I'm 46 years old and starting having hot flashes 18 months ago.  They normally "hit" at about 2:00 a.m. and then are gone.  Recently, I've started feeling more a fevered feeling several times a day and at night.  When I toss the blanket off and the cooler air hits, it feels as if all the nerve endings have been lit on fire throughout my body.  The feeling only last about 20-30 seconds, but in the middle of the night, it sure seems longer.  Just in the last couple of days, this "sensation" has started to occur during the day when I'm awake.

Did you ever find anything out?  I also suffer from migraines and fibromyalgia.  Never had a hysterectomy, but did have part of my thyroid removed 6 years ago.

Take care,
Pat
I do wonder if it's related to fibromyalgia. I've been having hot flashes for years now (peri and post menopause). I feel all tingly in my arms and chest and then the heat and sweat comes. But it's not painful. One thing that helps at night (besides pushing the covers aside) is to lay on your side. If I'm on my back, the mattress seems to trap the heat and make me feel even worse. So I flip to my side to let the air circulate better.

My Mom has fibro and from what I've read, people who have it feel pain more intensely than the rest of us. If I bump my elbow, I say ouch. If my Mom bumps her elbow, her arm aches for several minutes. Big difference.
I am 52 and had a complete hysterectomy at 46. I was on HRT until about 9 months ago. When I went off daily estrogen and started using a vaginal tablet as a local estrogen dose, only for occasional  vaginal dryness.
I too have painful hot flashes every few hours. These feel like the all over muscle aches that you have with the flue. But like you said after a miniute or 2, I am back to normal. It is very difficult to get any rest with this waking me up so often then taking a long time to fall back to sleep.
Other than being over weight I have no other health problems that might be causing this. So maybe it is just normal for the menopause transition. Since I se others are having similar symptoms.
I just now started getting the painful flashes. I'm 50, no hysterectomy but I have a history of Fibromyalgia along with migraines. I found this thread when I searched for painful hot flashes. It was comforting to see I'm not the only one. I too, as of recently, joined the ranks of the insuranceless so I have not been evaluated by a doctor for these painful hot flashes. My past experience tells me there is not much they can tell you about what helps the hot flashes.  I've read caffeine and alcohol can make them more intense, why can't it be broccoli that brings them on!
I`m 53 and can no longer sleep because of these painful hotflashes. No histerectomy or anything out of the ordenary. They hit at anytime now but harder during the night. In the morning I can hardly walk and it takes me a couple of hours to walk normally without pain. As I tell the kids I`m shuffleling.
I to am doctorless, he`s left town witout notifying his clientele. It`s a three yrs wait to get a new one. Glad to see I`m not alone in this situation. If anyone has some sort of trick up their sleeves to releave some of the pain or the heat please let me know. A.S.
I have been seeking info about this problem, off and on, for several months. It has been difficult to find anything at all about the pain I experience during hot flashes. I am 59, never taken any kind of hormones and never diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This have been experiencing this type of hot flash for several years now. I just want an answer and I want it to stop!