Para Gard?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-269 comments:
i had the paragard inserted almost a year ago and like the mirena after about a year i have started to loose feeling in during sex with my partner especially during orgasm i would feel it start then right at the peek i will loose sensation all together..  i feel numb through out my body alot of the time and i have started having awful headaches with vertigo issues and i tend to have more anxiety issues... i have galbladder problems so hormone birthcontrol wont work and well condoms are extremely expensive for the amount of sex i have with my partner so i am at a complete loss what should i do???
I'm 34 years old, do not have children, nor do I want children. I am unable to take birth control pills due to negative side effects (emotional mood swings and dramatic weight gain). I am in a monogamous relationship and after discussing birth control options we decided on an IUD. I did research beforehand and understood that for women who had never had children, insertion would be more uncomfortable, so I was prepared. I scheduled my appointment during my menstrual cycle, also recommended so that your cervix is more open. I had Paragard inserted yesterday at 1:00, I was told it would feel like a sharp pinch during the insertion. It felt as if a sharp instrument was piercing my uterus and it was very uncomfortable. On first attempt my physician was unable to insert the IUD correctly due to my small cervical opening. She then used a dilator tool to widen my cervix, I was not prepared for this and felt even more sharp piercing pain and I felt as if my uterus was coming out of my body. (Let me point out, although I do not have children, I have a strong tolerance for pain and I was able to tolerate the dilation but I believe I got a slight hint at what contractions and labor feel like. No offense to those strong and powerful women who have children.) After the second attempt my physician told me she was still unsure if the IUD was in the correct position and I would need to return in 2 weeks for an ultrasound. I drove myself home and was having intense cramping, worse with sitting. I took 800mg Ibuprofen as soon as I got home and tried to rest but was unable to find a comfortable position. The intense cramping was concerning so I checked for placement and felt the strings just as I was instructed. I began having chills and nausea due to the pain about 2 hours after insertion and the Ibuprofen was not relieving the cramps. At 6:00 I was laying on a heating pad and seriously considering returning to the physician the next day for removal. I also researched online about removing the IUD myself because I felt as if my body was trying to reject a foreign object, I was continuing to have severe cramps and low back pain. At 6:30 something made me check placement again and that is when I felt the entire IUD up against the right side of vaginal wall. I was able to remove it without difficulty and within 30minutes of removal, my cramps had ceased and I felt as if a weight had been lifted. I will not be having another IUD inserted, my boyfriend and I will continue our previous birth control and in a few years I will have a tubal ligation. I just wanted to help those of you who are considering an IUD and have never had children. I know my story may or may not be normal but if I had heard someone else's firsthand experience I would have had more information to base my decision. I hope this may help someone and I wish all of you the best in your decision.
I had the Para Gard put in January, 27th of 2012, after much thought and not wanting to use condoms with my husband anymore. I have one child, c-section (never went into labor -it was and emergency c-section).  My husband was very skeptical about the para gard, as I after reading many of these stories and seeing that women have become pregnant with paragard, but using condoms for nearly five years and not getting pregnant I figured why not try it.  I cannot take hormonal bc because of anxiety and depression, and I am clinically over weight- though doctors says I'm healthy.    So this was the only choice for me other than condoms, or outdated diaphragms (who uses those anymore?) I am 33, soon to be thirty four and do have heavy periods my second-fourth day usually and my period normally lasts 5-7 days.  Of course I was worried about extra heavy bleeding after insertion and the months to follow.  but I must say my experience has been good thus far.  

Before my appointment which was at 8am, I took 2 Aleeve as a precaution at 6am. I was already on my period since the day before-I went to planned parent hood to have it inserted because my gyno didn't have the para gard, nor would my ins pay for it. So I felt fine, no cramping (but I usually track my periods and take aleeve 1 day or the few days before I start my period).  The procedure did hurt for about 3 seconds, and yes uncomfortable to be on the table bleeding, but I think that is why the pain was so minimal because my cervix was already dilated.  The medical assistant still gave me 2 tylenol right before the procedure (about 9:30am-had to wait a while-but worth it!) too, even though I took the aleeve.

Immediatley after the insertion, I had cramping (medium cramping for me- but I took meds in the am and day before).  I had a dull ache and felt a little faint, but I still went about my day with my daughter.  I was not happy about wearing a pad, but my flow was manageable, in fact not as heavy as it usually was so I didn't even use tampons at all that week because I was worried about getting and infection ( better safe than sorry when an foreign object is inserted into you) or tss- although the doctor did just three days no tampons or anything in the vagina.  

It is now february 28th and I'm on my fourth day of my period and have not had to use a tampon only an ultra thin pad because my flow is so minimal. its more clotting, sometimes bright red, but mostly brownish.  I'm sure I'm not pregnant because its definitely a period (like I've had in the past with bc when i was younger).  I did have a weird slimy clear discharge a few weeks ago, the week after insertion and noticed my odor was different.  I just drank more water and wore a panty liner.  now everything seems normal, though my odor is slightly different, not bad, but its definitely different.   Over all I'm happy so far.  we will see what next month brings.  Oh...I can't feel the strings, I tried but I think my fingers are just short...i felt something, but I'm unsure, so when I go to my follow up Ill let the Doctor know.  I hope this helps someone.
I also just had a paragard inserted about a month ago and your experience sounds exactly like mine. I am 28 and have never had kids. I did a lot of research so I also knew that I could expect some pain with insertion, but I never would have expected cramping so bad afterwards. An hour after insertion, I literally thought about returning back to the dr's office to have it removed because I was in so much pain. I probably would have if I hadn't paid so much money for it. The first day, I laid in bed all day in the fetal position with a heating pad. I couldn't eat because when I got up (or even moved) the pain made me feel like I would  pass out. However, I kept checking mine and it didn't come out. It really felt like my body was trying to push it out, though. The cramping subsided a little bit after the first day, but was still pretty bad for about a week.

So here I am one month later, thinking this was a bad decision. I have been continuously bleeding with cramping the entire time. I have an appointment this week for my follow-up and I'm seriously considering just having it removed. It's not worth the pain and misery I'm going through and I can't imagine doing this for months, like some of the other posters on here. Hope this helps you!

I had my Paragard inserted 2/29/2012 while bleeding. Nurse gaVe me two ibupofens, I felt uncomfortable, but no pain. The first few days I had severe cramping, and a light flow. It seems to go away then return but it is still light. If anything its just annoying. Its been a week and im ready to stop bleeding already. But overall it seems cool so far. im happy to not have experiened things as bad as some of you
Oh and Im 22 with a 17 month old daughter...
I've had my Paragard IUD for 10 years and everything was great for the first 5 years and then the symptoms I had I attributed to aging and stress- hair loss, blurred vision, fatigue, anxiety. In the past year my symptoms have intensified and I started gaining weight. I started having anxiety attacks, insomnia, headaches, heart palpitations, and a bunch of other symptoms that imitate thyroid problems. We are all under the impression that the copper iud is great because it is hormone free. But it's a that can make us toxic if too much of it is in our system. And elevated amounts of copper actually cause our bodies to produce more estrogen which is a hormone that makes our bodies store fat, hence the weight gain. Also, copper toxicity depresses our thyroid causing a bunch of other problems! I was a big fan of the IUD until this past year. I have become allergic to simple things like cinnamon and hair dye which I never had problems with. My hair is thin and dry, I can't lose weight even though I exercise and eat right, I thought I was going crazy with the severe anxiety and panic attacks I was having and I thought for sure my thyroid was off whack (which it probably is!). Researching about the thyroid I came across metal poisoning and one of the culprits is in fact copper! HA! It was then I ran into countless blogs and forums full of posts of women with the copper IUD experiencing what I am experiencing. HA! I'm not crazy! I'm just hoping the damage is reversible and Friday can't come soon enough as I am scheduled to have this thing removed. Knowing what I know now I would have never considered the IUD. This last year has been hell for me and I am staying hopeful that the nightmare will soon end! Do yourself a favor and inconvenience yourself with another form of birth control but don't damage your health!
Can you let us know if it helped?
I have also gained weight and wonder if it is related. Most ppl just say it beacause Im hitting my 30 yr mark. I started working out went from one mile a day to two a day and now I start spotting whenever I run more than two miles. Please let me know.

Thanks.
I have had the Paragard IUD for a little over three years now. Let me just tell you that I am getting it taken out. I can no longer tolerate the massive cramps. The OB-GYN said it would take a couple of months for my body to get used to it. It's been three years and it has not. The cramps nearly cripple me. I have tried to take tylenol, advil, midol for the cramps and nothing works. I also have spotting between periods which is annoying. I hate it. I am done with it.
I've had the Paragard for a month now. 23, no children, married, and hormonal BC isn't an option (sadly, nor are condoms). The insertion wasn't bad. I was given a cervix dilation drug and took it 12 hours before the procedure. Let me tell you, that drug was ROUGH. Many women compared it to labor pains and I believed them. I wish I had asked for prescription pain pills. Oh and that drug causes you to poop. No fun. Anyways, I felt the sounding. That was strange. Then felt nothing during the insertion. But, if you are easily effected by the vasovagel reflex, be prepared. I warned the Doctor so they were ready. There was absolutely no pain, but stimulating the cervix causes the reflex to go haywire. Blood pressure dropped, nearly passed out, room started spinning. I hate when that happens. The nurses were prepared with a cold wash cloth and water.

After 35 minutes of recovering from that, I was driven home, thankfully. I wouldn't have been able to do so myself. The cramps had started by them. If you do have this done, please do so on a Friday when you have all weekend to rest. You'll need couple days of downtime. The first two days were terrible. By the third day I was better. A week later barely any cramping and just thick, off colored discharge which had no smell.

My first period started a couple days ago and is relatively heavy, but nothing I haven't experienced before. The cramping is bizarre though. Usually my cramps are a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, are constant, and nothing three IB profin won't fix. These are irregular and are occasionally crippling. As in I'm fine for hours, then one hits me and I'm doubled over. It passes in seconds though. Even with painkillers I can feel them, though I'm sure the edge is taken off. That's the downside so far. Oh and the constipation. I kinda had a problem before on my periods. Now, I'm downing multiple cups of coffee to get me going haha. It's like the harder the cramps, the harder time I have pooping. I'm a regular, 2 daily kind of gal, so not having a bowel movement freaks me out a bit.
Ive had the paragard for 2 months now and so far i have a lot of mucusy discharge and it doesnt have a pleasant smell. I've never had discharge like that before getting the paragard it makes me feel uncomfortable and self conscious. The doctor said I would have a lot of discharge because the paragard is a foriegn object and that my body was going to try to clean it out. My periods are a lot heavier and last 7 days instead of 5. My cramps are pretty horrible during my period, but they aren't only during my period they are random during the month. I cant feel it and niether can my boyfriend, but I have an appt to take it out. All of the symptoms arent worth it to me.
I had the coil inserted in December 2010 I had it removed today
for two reasons. My hair started to break off at the back since having the paraguard coil. Also because it made my discharge very watery which then affected my ability to obtain an orgasm. Before periods the discharge would become very itchy as well. The smell was not great. Luckily my periods were not heavier it was slightly shorter but I am not sure if its due to the coil or the fact that my body is changing. I did not experience any cramping as such.

But when I had it in 2006 less then 4 months after having my son I experience cramping for 2 weeks every 2 weeks. Maybe this could
have been because my cervix was still shrinking and I was breastfeeding.
But again I found that I could not orgasm once I had it in.

But everyone will react differently to the device and some people
will have no side effects. But you wont know until you give it a try.
Ive had my copper IUD (para guard?) for a few months maybe 3 or 4 and its been okay.  During insertion which took less than 10mins there's only one time where it hurts bad for like 2 seconds but thats it! pain for 2 seconds and no more kids for 10 years!woohoo! Okay anyway, I bled for a whole month after the insertion (2-6days my a**).  And I'm a person that never really cramped, it was rare and my periods were 3-4 days long. Well with this IUD i do cramp one or two days before my period and the whole time I have my period. From a 1-10 I'd rate the cramping at 5, where before normally it was a 1 or 2. Make sure they prescribe ibuprofen!!!*  And my periods now last a full 6 days. Sometimes i spot like brown discarge once in the month or right before and right after my period. My husband thinks we shouldn't have intercourse and feels grossed out if I tell him I have discharge and rather not have intercourse and I always laugh. BUT I do not care, I'm not removing this IUD unless any of these side effects are unbearable. I have a 6 and 3 yr old and I don't plan on having more. Before the IUD i used the nuva ring and it was awesome, it was just a hassle to have to take it out every month and have to buy a new 3-pack when I was out.
Paraguard= weight gain, acne, loooong periods, heavy periods, pain ...lots of pain...fatigue. I have had it for a year and i plan to get rid of it asap..I'd rather have a 4th child than live like this.
I just had the pg inserted today.. All I can say is I hope the pain goes away and a pain pill before insertion is a must.. I can still hear my screams echoing the hospital corridors:/
I am a little surprised at the comments on here. I think if I had found this site before I got my iud, I may have been scared out of doing it. But I am glad I didn't because honestly, I have had a pretty good experience. I got mine about 8 weeks PP ( in August 2011) with my first baby. I do want more children, but I don't want them right away, and I also didn't want hormonal bc due to past blood pressure problems and gaining tons of weight when taking hormonal bcs. My obgyn told me to expect bleeding for up to a couple months, but I only had some for a couple weeks, and it wasn't very heavy. I am still breastfeeding and that has caused me to not have my periods until January. But that first one (even after 6 months of having the iud) was heavier and longer with spotting a couple days before and after and the cramps were much worse than normal... but I wasn't sure if that was just post-baby or post-iud or if it was just because I don't remember what my cramps were normally like.
Then in February I didn't have a period. But I had cramping throughout. March I had another period, but the cramps weren't as bad and it wasn't as heavy although it still lasted longer. The only reason I even was researching is because I have cramps a lot more often and not even around my period times and I was wondering if it was normal. But they aren't super bad, but just there. I also have been having headaches for months and thought it was because I needed new glasses, but after I got new glasses a few weeks ago I am still having the headaches and now I am wondering if it is caused by the iud since some others have talked about having migranes (migraines) or headaches after having it.... hmmmm. That's interesting.
About the weight gain, I have maintained my weight since about 2 weeks PP, which ***** because I still need to loose 20 lbs to get back to prepreg weight and need to loose another 30 on top of that to really get to a normal weight. I attributed this plateau to breastfeeding so I hope that's the case and when I start to wean my daughter I will start to loose some of this weight. I want to get my iud taken out once I get back to prepreg weight and don't want to wait too long so my babies are close-ish in age.
I just wanted to post something because I read all of these horror stories prior to and after getting my Paragard inserted. I have no children, 26 years old. I am on Paragard due to another medication that conflicts with the pill.
The day I got the Paragard inserted was no picnic. The actual insertion was SEVERELY painful, due in part to the fact that I've had no children. (I had taken something for pain beforehand!) Afterwards, I almost fainted and my husband the the staff at the DR's were incredible at giving me water, cooling me down, etc. After I went home, I was a cramping mess. The pain was terrible and I wondered if I'd be able to go to work. The next morning, it was a huge change. I was cramping, but nothing like the day before. A little  Advil and I was good to go. I've had light spotting since then (It's been a couple of weeks) and a pantyliner works just fine.
I'd like to stress that I have NOT  had a period yet, and I am anticipating a longer, heavier period. But, I am here to tell you that I know everyone is different, but don't be afraid to try it for yourself. It's been amazing, worry free and my husband loves it too!
After reading all of the horror stories, I pray there is a happy ending. So far, so good. I just had my IUD inserted today which took about 10 minutes tops! Although, i have a 5 year old son, i still needed to have my cervix dilated. There was some cramping during the procedure and don't get me wrong, the tools used for the procedure look intimidating but it all went smoothly. There is a slight pinch, and 3 sets of cramping (the last one is the actual insertion of the IUD). then, it was over. There was slight cramping afterwards and then heavy cramping, to the point i needed to lie down and take ibuprofen. It would have helped if i took it before the insertion but i didn't. I am now worried about my body rejecting copper, gaining weight, and hair loss. But, if this occurs, the IUD is a 'gonner'. My periods are heavy to begin with so i expect that and will monitor.
I am doing my research on this and it's so ironic that I came across your post that is almost exactly what I am going through now AND my name is also Andrea!! Haha!! I had the Paragard placed when my second son was 6 weeks old. He's 17 weeks now so I have had it in for 11 weeks now. For over the last month, I have had an excruciating headache that does NOT go away. I'm extremely nauseous. Can't sleep... Really weak..Along with other things. The only thing I can think of is that it's the Paragard. Called my OBGYN today and she thinks it's NOT the Paragard. She told me to go have my eyes checked and lets rule other stuff off first. I had to pay $1000 to have it put in so I really hate to just throw it down the drain but I'm desperate to feel better. How did you end up feeling after having it removed?? Better?? I'd love to hear back from you. I'm searching for answers. A friend of mine was on the 10th year and was going to have the Paragard removed but it was embedded into her uterus and she had to have surgery to remove it!! That freaks me out too.
I had my paraguard in for 2 years and had it removed 2 days ago because of a horrid oder disharge and my weight is outa control. come to find out the oder was due to the string of the paraguard had speared a tampon so i was walking around for a year in a half  with a piece of tampon wound up on my iud string. I had no idea that could happen but my IUD is now gone and so is the oder. I will never get another IUD and it would be nice if physicians could tell u that could happen

wow that is crazy because i have the same side affects to what ur having and its been about 6 mnths now since i have gotten paragard. and when ever i get my period i can feel where it was placed and its painful along with the bad cramps i thought it was me and my body has to get use to it i am so happy that i read all this info it was a great help...thank u : )
Hi everyone

i have had the coil for around 10-11 yrs and to be fair i couldn't see a problem, until now. i even recommended it to my younger sister and when i have seen how much weight she has put on i'm surprised. I also have put on a lot of weight maybe around 60lbs. i have spent a long time wondering why i cant loose weight as before i would loose any amount i wanted easily, i put it down to the loss of my first love and emotional eating i have tried to loose it many times and never succeeded more than 8lbs it just increases week on week. i have been looking into these forums for a few weeks now, tomorrow i will go to the doctors to have it removed, i will come back next week or two with an update and my weight and other symptoms.

i have felt like **** for to long now its coming out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGceqoNHm4&list=UUG4gi0PrPer_JlYBi9lAsOQ&index=2&feature=plcp

this video is what make me question the coil !!!
I got my paragrad instered back in Feb.2012, I am a young mom of 3, well I had my cycle in March, but I did not have it in April, I breastfeed my baby, and well I haven't done a pregnancy test, but has anyone experienced this??
So Im supposed to get the para guard inserted or attempt to in aprox. 5 hours from now. I'm 21 no kids so I'm expecting it to be painful, despite already taken the drug to help dialate my cervix and being on my period. Im prepared to deal with the obvious side effects of the changes it would cause to my period and potential cramping. Also, I highly doubt I'd suffer much cramping worse than a pain level of 5 Just because that's how my body is. My flow would prob get very heavy, but wouldn't bother me - just cost me more for tampons and ruined underwear. But im canceling my appointment and here's why -

I've currently been off all birth controls for 4 months. The pill worked well for me when I was younger, but after 19 I started experiencing this strange unexplainable feeling of apathy towards the pill. I can't really put it in to words other than that I had no motivation to take and would have it, and remember it, but was incapable of taking it. If so, out of guilt and not properly so rendered it useless. I didn't want to get pregnant or anything, I just couldn't do it anymore. My friend experienced the same thing and doesn't know why either. So after meeting my current boyfriend over a year ago I decided to get birth control after being off and on the pill for 6 months. I tried the nuva ring, thinking that perhaps it was the daily regimine of the pill that was my problem. That was a bust - I had no sex drive what so ever. I wanted to want to have sex again so I'd wait a week after my period before I put a new one hoping it would make a difference. After awhile and tension between me and my boyfriend and our lack of sex I stopped all together using the ring.

The following month I was a wreck crying all the time, being a crazy woman and mood swings I had never experienced before. After 2-3 months I started feeling like myself again. And it has felt so good to be finally off the hormones completely. My sex drive is back to normal and my moods are normal. But my boyfriend insists I get birth control because condoms are not an option and we've had close calls where I had to buy the plan b pill. If I had it my way, I'd stay of birth control for ever - but not trying to get pregnant. So when I heard about para guard I was so happy because it has no hormones. I thought I found my answer to my birth control problem. I didn't necessarily want an IUD ever just because I feared long term birth control methods would be worse for my mood and labido. So I went to the Gyno and they are against iuds in younger girls becayse of higher stds risk. But I'm not at risk of stds because I'm monogamous and have been for some time so I stressed that I wanted this IUD.

I came across this forum from googling paraguard ( for the millionth time) and after reading all of these stories about copper toxicity, which I had not previously read on any site, I realized that I was so focused on the fact that it was hormone free that it never occurred to me the possibility of copper affecting my body negatively. Then I spent the past few hours reading about copper how it interacts with your body. I found that unbalanced copper levels cause a whirlwind of problems - whether too much or too little. Those with higher copper levels tend to experience anxiety and rushing thoughts. With higher copper, it countereacts the levels of zinc, which makes it harder to relax and can lead to insomnia. If too much copper for too long, it's possible to lead to psychological disorders like szchizophrenia. I learned a lot of stuff beyond that and recommend researching it yourself. I came to a conclusion that I higher levels of copper already - explains my insomnia, anemia, anxiety, joint and nerve pain, amongst a bunch of other seemingly uncorrelated issues. Though I will follow through with the nutrient hair strand tests to insure, my high copper levels are prob not natural and are easily avoided. I plan on experimenting with the suggested diet of lots of fats and oils and take more zinc and b vitamins to see if I'm right and have too much copper. But then I become very worried about how I'd react to the Paragaurd - if my panic attacks and anxiety and insomnia ( which come and go) are related to periods of higher copper, then things could only get much worse and more frequent for me. I can't handle the even slight chance of my anxiety increasing - I will go insane or have panic attacks everyday and have to take Xanax all the time and become a zombie.  

For this reason I am no longer going to even try and see if it works for me because my sanity is way more important to me. I recommend that if you have even the mildest levels of anxiety and have even ever had a panic attack not to try Paragaurd or take it out immediately. I don't even have that serious of anxiety, im not medicated and only experience it occaisinally.  But if copper causes increased anxiety, and I already have higher levels of copper, there's no way Paragaurd wont effect me negatively, it'd make no sense. Im so glad I read these posts and came to this conclusion. Im going to forgo months of hell no thanks to the doctors who even mentioned that copper toxicity would even be a side effect. Do they just not know its a possibility? I don't want to make my life more miserable, so if you inform me of the potential side effects I'm not going to want it. I'm not prone to infections or am at high risk for Stds - an IUD would be fine. But it worries me when you find out your doctor didn't warn you of possible side effects that are very serious and obviously popular. Nowhere on the website, on the Internet, anything, was a disclaimer about Paragaurd causing anxiety and shouldn't be used by people with preexisting conditions.

Hopefully if I pieced this together in a few hours and average resources other people have and are suing them so they now have to list copper toxicity as a possible side affect. Same thing happened when I took Chantix when I was 16 to quit smoking - 5 years later the commercial now lists all of the f'd up side effects I experienced immediately and wasn't warned about. Luckily when i started having insane dreams I stopped the new medication that obviously caused them. In this case it takes years to realize your side effects are caused by the Paragaurd, it's supposed hassle free hormone free awesomeness. **** it at this point. I'm just going to stay off birth control in general - it just feels right.
well i've had mine out for a week now, my appetite has already halved my skin had cleared and i feel so much more at ease.
I Got my IUD Para Gard (non-hormone) put in 07/2011 and when I first had it put in I had the worst cramp that I have ever experienced. I cramped bad after that for at least 4hrs. Days later I had spots here and there nothing major. Until I began to get cramps with them. It wasn't unbearable or anything, they we're like my usual menstrual cramps. Each month my menstrual did the same thing;spot like a week before, mild cramps, then the first day will began. I still had my usual days (4days) and I came on around the same time every month.  Well its now May of 2012 and I have had the same routine every month and on my first day of my menstrual which was yesterday. I was cramping sooooo bad and my flow seemed to be heavier and once I came in for the night I used the bathroom and looked down to see that my Para Gard feel out...I do not know how but it scared the mess out of me. Has this every happened to any of you ladies?
I'm new here and I think I posted this in the wrong place, so forgive me if this double-posts...

I have also had a few concussions... at age 7 being knocked out being hit with a large rock, at age 8 in a bike accident in Culpeper, VA. At age 9, I was knocked out with a concussion in a rollover auto accident, also in VA. At age 20 here in Phoenix on Christmas Eve 1980 as a passenger in a severe auto accident (that led to a traffic light installation), I suffered severe head trauma with a massive welt on top of my head that hurt to touch for months and was diagnosed with a TBI (traumatic brain injury). Trying to resume touring that spring, I had to pull myself from the road in the midwest weeks later suffering many symptoms, especially a 'fuzzy feeling' of feeling 'high' or 'buzzed' creating depth of field issues, headaches, memory issues (affecting my performances) and personality changes. I had PCS diagnosed after returning home and stayed home from touring for two months and was fine until the next tour late summer where I reactivated/reinjured that soft spot on the beach along the Jersey shore (spare me the jokes) from a rogue wave that capsized me with my head roughly hitting the ocean bottom during some recreation on an off day. barely a week later, I was back in the Valley off the road for another two months of recovery and resumed touring through 1983.

I was never quite the same afterwards, however, but only minorly affected UNTIL I suffered an organic ABI (acquired brain injury) summer 1985 where I was unknowingly chronically exposed to Carbon Monoxide from a gas water heater that leaked into the AC return air duct for 3 months then acutely exposed for 45 minutes once the leak was found. I had similar symptoms to my PCS, but many more added to much greater depths and permanency such as lack of concentration/focus, short-term memory loss, double vision, dyslexia, occasional brief feelings of 'losing it' and a sexual orientation/attraction shift - I'm bisexual - but was born straight. I had the 'fuzzy' symptoms again for several weeks or months, especially during my college courses I never did complete after multiple attempts to finish my degree. Still, to this day when trying to memorize things or from reading novels, textbooks, manuals or especially sight-reading sheet music my brain simply overloads and I cannot encode information from text to brain easily without massive repetition - if at all. No complaints, though, as toxicology tests showed I had ten times the lethal amount of CO in my bloodstream and miraculously survived, albeit greatly changed or altered.

Recently, I had THE worst year ever for my crippling headaches in 2011, practically living on Excedrin Migraine - not sure what escalated them, although I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Carcinoid Cancer. I still feel varying degrees of pain to the touch on the top of that soft spot and I bumped it against a wall recently creating a few of those recurring symptoms on top of my CO poisoning symptoms. I wonder what can be done in regards to this and if I have neurological disorders that do not show in previous MRIs. The whole Junior Seau suicide tragedy brought all this to light, so I am reaching out, albeit as a guy on a women's forum - I found this forum/thread through a100% match of a Google search, FYI. Thanks for your input... Ted in Gilbert, AZ
I had the paraguard IUD put in 9 years ago, when I found out that I couldn't use hormonal bc for health reasons.  I was 22 years old and had never had children.  I will be honest about the initial insertion - it was not a picnic.  I don't believe they gave me any drugs to dilate my cervix.  There was a little pain when they inserted it - more like a pinching.  However afterwards I had to lay down for a while, since the nerve endings on the cervix make you prone to passing out.  After about 10 minutes I felt fine and left, but had to stop and rest on my way out to the car when I started getting light-headed again.  I drove myself home okay but it would've been smarter to have someone pick me up.  When I got home there was cramping pretty bad, but I curled up on my bed for about 4 hours and went to sleep.  When I woke up I was fine. Just a couple of crampy twinges every now and then for the next couple days then nothing after that.  I never had any negative side effects, although it's important to mention that I had light periods with little cramping before the IUD.  I noticed slightly more cramping but nothing I would even take a pamprin for.  A couple of years later during a regular checkup they found the IUD had slipped (this had probably actually happened back within the first month of insertion) and they had to remove it.  When they remove it they literally grab the string and yank it out of your uterus.  Not as painful as it sounds, I promise!  They put another one in and this time I only had to rest about 5 minutes and then was able to drive myself home no problem.  I didn't have much cramping afterwards, I even went back to work that same day.  I recently had my IUD removed because my husband and I are TTC.  However I never had any problems with it the whole time it was in.  The first IUD was in for about a 1 1/2 and the second IUD for 7 years.  I just wanted to share this story because I think it is a great option for many people.  Like anything, some people can experience unpleasant side effects.  But don't necessarily let that discourage you - remember, if you don't like it, you can always remove it.  Removal is quick and can be done in your regular OB/GYN's office.
I had my Paraguard put in on August 25 2011 after an ablation, the procedure was suppose to stop  heavy bleeding and I thought the Ablation didn't work because I would still spot and bleed for at least 10 days. Also I could feel it inside of me. So I decided to have it removed and lo and behold, the ablation worked. No periods. Ha...so excited about that. I did notice the funky smell during my period, but I wouldn't say I gained any weight. I actually lost about 10 lbs after having it put in. But only with great effort to lose weight. Much happier without. Good luck to everyone!
I was told it can fall out. I had a Paragard IUD slip to the bottom of my cervix, and I became pregnant. Healthy, happy baby 9 months later. I should've seen the signs, like menstrual cramping that felt lower than it should've been, feeling chronically bloated, and I wasn't checking on the string.

I'm on my third IUD and I'm happy with it now. I can't do hormones so Paragard is one of few options for me. My first IUD was pre-kids and it was way too painful so I had it removed after 3 periods. The second is mentioned above. The third was after my second child (my "IUD baby"). I've had it for nearly a year. The first few periods were very painful, but they've gotten much better.  I thought this one had slipped too when last month's period was real heavy, but it's in place correctly. Now I think I'm just paranoid it'll fall out. ;)
I am 27, no kids, monogamous, and just had my first paragard inserted yesterday morning. I can only say what it was like for me, and from what i've read (good and bad) i'd say i'm somewhere in the middle on the experience. My cycles have always been on-the-dot regular, moderate cramping on day 1-2, over and done with usually in 4 days. I tried the pill when I was younger for a couple years, and I despised it. They kept having to change my dosage because I wasn't reacting well to it, nausea, weight gain, psycho mood swings, etc. When I got OFF the pill, I had post-pill amenorrhea, where I didn't have a period again for about ten months.

I wanna start off by saying my doctor is awesome, he's been in practice for 20 years and answered every question I had very well. I went in a month ago for my usual pap and all that jazz, and asked about IUDs, and decided on paragard. We scheduled the insertion on the last day/day after my period the following month, and he suggested I take 800 mg of ibprofen an hour before. He of course warned me that it could be painful especially if I haven't had kids.

I watched several medical videos online on how it's done, so I knew the steps when we started. This was 11am yesterday morning. the speculum is uncomfortable as we all know. He talked me through everything and warned me when i'd feel a pinch from the cervical clamp. That felt akin to maybe like a sharp sting when you get a shot, but its in such an odd place that you have to keep yourself still and breath, because your bodies first reaction is to tense up. For me that only hurt when it was first put on for a couple seconds, then it faded.

I was chatting with my nurse (can't for the life of me remember about what), and my doctor told me "ok some slight cramping here..." that was the sounding tube. And he was absolutely right, i felt cramping, nothing horrific. The worst part about the sounding tube was that it was TOTALLY bizarre to feel cramping instantly like that. It wasn't horrible terrible pain, but it was like "whoa wtf is that??" pain.

Some women have said that the sounding is the worst part, or that the clamp is the worst part, etc. For me, the worst part was actual insertion of the device when its little T arms open up. All I can say is holy crap! Again, he warned me and said "ok putting the IUD in now, you're may feel some more intense cramping here". Its just.... its just WEIRD feeling. I tried to explain it to a friend yesterday like this... You all know how a normal menstrual cramp generally starts small, grows in intensity, then fades? This was like being punched in the stomach with a menstrual cramp. It was immediate and intense. Its the kind of menstrual cramp where your entire body wants to curl into a fetal position. I gasped and jerked a little bit, and breathed through it. I think I said "WOW that *****" at some point.

There was no crying or screaming or vomiting or passing out on my part.
I had TWO very very strong cramping sensations, breathed slowly through them, and they faded. That part lasted MAYBE ten seconds. My doc trimmed the strings and by the time he said "all done!" everything had faded to a very faint soreness. I sat up and we chatted a bit about coming in next month for an ultrasound to make sure it was positioned correctly, and I got an RX for a 3 day course of antibiotics that he gives just in case. Thats one thing I haven't read about anyone else's experience that I got. My doc gives antibiotics for a few days after just on the off chance there is any infection, because as my nurse put it "the paragard is sterile, the environment in a vagina is not, its just a precaution."

Afterward I got up, got changed and left the office and felt 99% totally normal.... for a while.

Some of you will cringe when you hear this next part, and think i'm a moron :)
I actually went to work about 2 hours after the insertion. I work as a massage therapist, and I do a lot of physical, deep tissue stuff. I was feeling pretty fine up until about 5 minutes before I went to work. Then the aftershock cramps started, as I call them. HOLY CRAP. Ok, I think I generally have pretty mild period cramps. I hurt, but its nothing like i hear from some women, who have to stay home or feel sick from them, etc. These cramps, damn. I feel for you guys who get them as a matter of course. Sharp, intense, all the way into my back and the top of my legs, and I few times I did feel a little nauseous from it. (I do want to reiterate though that I was by no means forced to roll around in bed and cry from them, but I really didn't want to do anything physical at all)
By the time I got to work, i'd already popped 3 more ibprofen and was very uncomfortable. Thank god it was a slow day and I only had 2 appointments scheduled during my 7 hour shift, and my last one canceled. I was surprisingly ok during the massage I did around 4pm, but I was bordering on useless by the time 5:30pm rolled around. As i've read from a few other experiences, sitting down seemed to make it worse. I had a coworker come and try to work on my shoulders for me while I was sitting in a hard chair, and when he pushed down on me, my cramping immediately intensified. The best position I found was to sit on the couch in the lobby of my work, leaning to the side, curled up with a pillow. Since my last appointment canceled, I left early.
I was spotting very slightly through the day, but for all I know thats b/c I was technically on the last day of my period still.

The drive home and the 3 story walk up to my apartment were probably the worst time of my day. By that time my ibprofen had worn off, and I freely admit I was effing miserable. I walked in the door and took a flexiril (a mild muscle relaxer) that I had left over from an injury. It didn't do squat except make me sleepy, so I took a couple more ibprofen and took a very hot bath with eucalyptus/spearmint bath salt. That helped a LOT.

As of this morning, if yesterdays cramps were the worst i'll feel, today they're about a 3/4. This morning i've drunk a bunch of water, took 2 ibprofen, had breakfast and have been just laying in bed for the most part. I'm still spotting, a mix of that brownish old blood spotting and mucus looking stuff, no fresh or bright red blood. Its just annoying and not heavy or scary.

My doc told me next month may be more intense than i'm used to, or heavier than i'm used to, but because I already had easy to deal with periods I shouldn't have anything so bad I want to die or anything. he said in the many years he's been putting in IUD's hes only had 2 patients ask to have them removed because of horrible periods, and he's never had a patient of his have one come out on its own, though he's heard of it happening from colleagues.

Overall, the experience was pretty much as expected as far as the insertion goes. I knew it would hurt, and it did. It wasn't earth shattering pain, but it was very unpleasant. I was not prepared for the intensity of the cramping I had the rest of the day, but I dealt with it. Today I have mostly just a sore feeling in my lower abdomen and lower back. As a frame of reference, if you've ever had your appendix taken out, you remember that horrible sore muscle feeling afterward when they make you get up for the first time? NOTHING like that. Just a deep, warm, "yep theres something in my uterus" soreness

As far as sex goes, Doc said I'm technically protected from pregnancy immediately, but everyones recovery time varies. He said most women feel up to their usual selves in 3-5 days. I'll be waiting until i've done my antibiotic course at least. My poor uterus is already pissed off at me, Im going to give it some time to forgive me first.
I have had the Paraguard for about 3 months now and I'm 24 and never had a child. I decided to try the Paraguard because I was having issues with hormones making me unstable in my moods. Let me just say that the insertion was not pleasent at all. I cramped bad for a day and was basically fine the next day. I Have had very little problems other than slight cramping and long periods. With reading this forum I believe I may have and issue with my moods too. I have been popping off at people some and I never do that. I have had some weird thick mucus after my periods but not really any smell to it. It seems like I'm basically having my period for 3 out of the 4 weeks of every month. My period was heavy the first two times after insertion and after that my cycles are heavy for about a day or two and then light/ spotty. I would reccomend the Paraguard if you are a persistant person that can handle the long periods. I just love the fact that I don't have to worry about taking a pill or anything for ten or so years. I'm definitely going to try taking the zinc and vitamin to hopefully lessen my period length and help my moods. I think after I take this out and have a child or two I might try the mirena even though I might risk the hormones messing with me.
para gard ***** *** i got it in march it gives ur ***** an odor an long *** periods, cramps, lower back pains, weakness, it feels like im pregnant when im not. i have two baby boys, an i got para gard three months  ago after i thought it would be awesome but i heard it ***** up your liver an all type of stuff. i going to remove it because that its not worth risking my life just to stop from having another baby ill just use condoms , and the shot, para gard mirena all of them cause weight gain .
im just being real :)
After the birth of my second child, my father passed and 6 weeks later I got the paragard. It's not hormonal so it wont do any harm right? well wrong if your prone to depression, you just had a baby then no paragard is not good for you or anyone who has ever had depression. Also no one seems to realize putting copper in your body or any type of metal can effect your brain chemestry, apetite, digestive system and memory. So finally after lots of research I got that awful thing removed and havent felt this balanced and at peace since I saw my little one for the first time:) If you want to keep from getting pregnant just tell your partner to get contraception, I mean in all reality, it is the man who has the semen that fertalizes your egg so he should be responsible for preventing pregnancy.
I had paragaurd insertion done last friday. I am 28 and married with no kids. I have never been on any form of OCPs before. I had mild cramps during the insertion, no pain at all. All through the week I had a lot of cramping and spotting/ discharges reddish in color which was during the day but disappeared when I lay flat on my bed. When i asked the nurse she said it could be due to gravity acting on the cervix causing stagnation of blood. I got my periods yesterday(atleast thats what i think coz I have been having reddish spotting all week). It has been so far a very weird period. Flow being very irregular and less compared to my regular periods. It is also 4 days early. I am now worried that it I dont have a proper regular period I am going to put on weight as well :(. I have no sex drive either.
Please tell me if this is normal?
I posted on june 22nd about my experience, just leaving an update a little over a month into having my paragard.

The entirety of the first month I had my paragard, to put it mildly, really blew.
I cramped and bled pretty much every day or every other day for a month solid. Light spotting, just enough to HAVE to wear something, and cramps ranging between barely there to pretty intense, and it bounced pretty wildly between the two with no particular rhyme or reason. Those things themselves weren't so bad, but having cramps and bleeding for a month straight sort of started to wear me down.

Totally unrelated (or maybe not, iono), I ended up getting a stomach virus probably a day after I started my period and for some reason (I think because of some antibiotics i'd been on a few weeks beforehand that may have killed off some good tummy flora) I couldn't fight it off, and 3 days later I ended up in the ER with dehydration. 3 bags of IV saline later I was okay, but I was out of commission for 7 days straight. I dont know if this affected my first period on the paraguard or not, but as far as that goes, I was expecting from other people's stories to have something awful, lots of cramping and a very long heavy period.
          What I GOT was pretty bad cramps 2 days before, and a very easy period after that. maybe 2 or 3 days of regular ole normal blood loss, a couple days of very light spotting, and no cramps whatsoever during the whole thing.

And the very nice part? I haven't had a cramp or spotting since. FINALLY!
It seems that everything has settled down very nicely.
One of the OBGYNs who works with mine at his office came into work yesterday (i'm a massage therapist) and I talked to her about my first month experience. She said spotting and cramping anywhere between a couple days out and a couple months out is totally normal. Most women are back to normal within a few days, I was just in the category of women who took a full cycle to even out. I'm glad I stuck it out. It never entered my mind to have it removed this soon, but I will say i'm pretty frickin happy that that part is over.

so bottom line, aside from taking a full month to stop with the spotting and the cramping, and the stomach virus I caught, things have been totally normal. no weird side effects, no unusual pain or different taste or memory changes  etc etc. I'm getting my follow up appointment done in a week or two to get an ultrasound and make sure its properly in place and all that stuff, but since my last period its been smooth sailing and i'm very pleased with it!
P.S.
I also wanted to mention that part of the possible reason I had such a long recovery time with my paragard is that I have a physical job. I do up to 6 deep tissue massages a day, I don't sit at a desk. The worst of my cramping would occur usually between 3-5pm, after i'd been through about half my shift. At home, in bed, etc, they were generally mild. With the inflammation that occurs with insertion, I think the physical activity may have irritated it moreso than if I sat on my butt more often.

First of all - thank you for posting. Everything you wrote is EXACTLY how I am feeling and what I am experiencing. It's awful and I am angry at my healthcare provider for not giving me the low down. Actually, I'm angry at her for making me feel like I wouldn't/shouldn't experience any sort of negative side effects.
Like you said, the bleeding, cramping, discharge - is just not sexy and is just not something a 30something wants to deal with (or Anyone for that matter).
Is there really a weight gain associated with Paragard? I kept telling myself because there are no hormones that no weight gain would happen. But, I too have gained weight and all i do is eat. I'm unhappy and just kind of BLAH. ...It's pathetic. Now I'm questioning if it is part of my problem.

How are you doing now? Hopefully you are back on track and enjoying life again.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
I had paragard place this week on my 4 day of my period my flow was not that heavy at that moment. It did hurt so much, that I will not put it againg if i have to. I had no cramp yet. Im still bleeding not  that heavier hope it stay that way. This is my 5th day of period still bleeding but not cramps.  I will see what next month bring.
i got the paraguard about 3 weeks ago, I am 25 and one son, the reason y i decided to try the iud is because I had the mirena before but I knew for a fact it was causing me acne, so I decided to take it off, I started taking pills and I noticed I gained about 10 pounds, i was freaking out so my doctor suggester paraguard, he told me it doesnt have any hormones so it should have any side effects other then maybe heavier periods, so i decided to try it, the procedure itself was unconfortable, the cramping lasted about 2 days, and i did have some spotting for about 3 days, its been about 3 weeks and the only things that ive notices is that i get an odor with my discharge, I am hoping it goes away, but now after reading all theses post im scared that ill continue to gain weight!
I am 39 years old and decided to have the Paraguard. Yesterday, I had gotten the paraguard.  I had to switch OBGYN since my original doctor was trying to talk me out of getting it and rather have me on hormone BC.  Birth control makes my blood pressure high and the last thing I need is to pay for BC pills and BP pills as well.  I did some research and decided to have the paraguard.  I don't have children but I have been pregnant before so my uterus has been stretched a little.  

I read from several forums of women taking 800mg of Ibuprofen and 4 pills called Oona PMS 2 to help with cramping, bleeding and spasming problems during the IUD insertion.  An hour before the procedure, I took the Ibuprofen and Oona to help with the pain.  When I got the IUD inserted the pain scale of 1 to 10, my pain was a 3.  There was little cramping after it was put in for about 15 mins.  I drove home with no pain and the rest of the evening I went to bed and was fine this morning.  

Whom ever is considering an IUD be sure to take 800mg of Ibuprofen and order Oona PMS 2 to help prevent pain. You can order Oona on Amazon.com.  I will post an update in 30 days of how my body reacts to the IUD.
Forgot to add.  The new OBGYN wanted me to be on my period to have the IUD inserted.  The cervix is soften during that time.  Thanks.
I had paragard for 8 yrs and was absolutely incapacitated.  Anxiety, ADD, major memory loss, low thyroid, unable to simply "do".  Had it removed 8 months ago, supplement w/zinc+C+B complex and am on the road to recovery.  Memory is now normal, thyroid tested normal (also added kelp+selenium for thyroid boost)  attention span is greatly improved, and anxiety/escalated emotions have returned to nearly normal.  I still have a bit to go but it is only getting better.  Paragard & doctors suck.  No warning of possible copper toxicity was given, and no insight as to proper steps for recovery was provided by any doctor, as they obviously know nothing.  Info provided on the web was the only godsend.

I am on my way out of this hell hole, and on to enjoying life again.  
Be happy and healthy.
Last year, in November I got, Paragard inserted because I did not want hormonal birth control and wanted something hassle free. I read all the medical info on the difference between Paragard and Mirena.  However, I did not look up any consumer reviews.  What I can say is that had I found this site 10 months ago I would not have gotten the PG inserted.  

I am a 36 year old divorcee with 3 teen age children who did not want to close the door on children but suddenly needed birth control after a decade.  A less than 1% failure rate sounds pretty good right?  In theory sure, but the truth as it turns out is a little different.  

Recently I started to have symptoms related to first trimester pregnancy, which for about 3 weeks I passed off as just not feeling good.  But my boyfriend noticed the frequency of heart burn and nausea, asking a few days ago if I might be pregnant.... So I began googling side affects and the pregnancy rate.  Can I just say "WOW" the things i read from other women who had the Paragard!!!  The first thing is there were things I just put down to age; joint pain, muscle pain, fatigue, and just plain feeling bad all the damn time.  Recently I also developed hair loss, bloating, nausea, and heart burn, things you would not consider an association to your NON hormone based birth control right? Then I find this site and others similar to it.  Reading about how many women actually become pregnant with Paragard in addition to the side effects was an epiphany for me.  

I had no idea how the copper wire really worked, and was less than comfortable with it.  Aside from the above mentioned issues I too had the suddenly super duper long periods for the last 10 months, nothing less than 8 days.  Which were also excruciatingly painful.  My boyfriend noticed some distinct changes in my moods during my periods.  My shorter normal cycle results in normal PMS.  The prolonged 10 day periods (my Paragard average) resulted in terrible moodiness and anger.  So while it is "hormone free" the longer periods were still causing a fluctuation in my moods and mental health.

A few days ago I also noticed my string had gotten longer, which I read could result in pregnancy because it means that the Paragard is likely displaced.  Today I went to the doctor to have this checked and instead of an adjustment I had my Paragard removed at the recommendation of my OBGYN.  Who told me that after 4-5 months max my body should have leveled out and that the side effects would only continue to get worse.  Thankfully the removal took all of 2 seconds and was painless compared to the insertion.  8 hours later?  I can say some things have gone away already and I am hoping that like others things will continue to get better.  

I am not sharing my story to change anyone's mind about getting paragard inserted.  No one birth control method works for everyone, hence there are so many choices on the market.  Just make sure before you make your choice that you do thorough research and have a clear understanding of what you are choosing and what it can do to you.  I am switching to the pill as of today.  But would as so many other women have said, rather get pregnant with my 4th child than continue to be so miserable all the time, because in the end the pros did not out weigh the cons.

To anyone who chooses to have the Paragard, good luck and to all those whom it works for I applaud you.  To everyone else who shared their stories here I want to say thank you.  I really did think I was just a grumpy old lady lately and it made me feel better to know at least some of it was related to my "non hormone" based birth control.  So if my story helps just one person who is suffering the same as I was then it was worth it.  And I will check back in a month to update on whether my improvement continues.
Yes it smell....and I have been working out/watching what I eat and can't get my weight off :(
Hi my name is Jen and I have two kids. I just had my baby April 2012 and right after he was born I decided to get the Paragard done. My husband thought it was a great idea as well. I had it put in, in May and since then been having horrible cramps that literally drop me to my knees and my periods have been so heavy that I have to wear super plus tampons and a super pad on and I still leak through and this goes on for a week and my discharge is more then normal and when it comes to intercourse my husband gets hurt. I also have blood clots the whole time on my period. This is not normal for me at all. Im thinking about getting it taken out and having my tubes tied instead. Its nice to have the Paragard for one thing and thats not having to worry about taking a pill everyday. I forget to take pills so thats why I decided to get it just to be in more pain then I was during my pregnancy. Paragard isnt for everybody and if it works for you thats great if it doesnt have it taken out and try something new.
Your post has really helped me. Im glad that im not the only one. Ive been going through what you went through so getting mine taken out. Thanks for sharing what you went through.
I am 18 years old, and have no kids. I got the Paragaurd inserted when I was 17 years old on January 2012, about to be a year. I can honestly say that this was the best decision that I have ever made. I do have cramping and I get my period every month around the same time just like normal. I do have heavy flow and have my period for 7 days. Even before the iud I have always had my period for 7 days, so thats normal. I am sexually active with my boyfriend, and we do not use condoms at all. I have never had a pregnancy scare. Its been a perfect experience for me.... Recently Ive been hearing that you can get cancer in your cervix or after getting the iud removed you cant have kids, can anybody give me more information on this.. thanks
from what i understand, the paragard does not contain any hormones. therefore you should not have any risks of getting cancer or gaining weight. i am about to get the paragard IDU but i'm really nervous because i have sex with my boyfriend a lot and do not use condoms AT ALL. i have no want for a baby. if it keeps me from getting pregnant than thats all i need.(I do not care about the cramps or bleeding)
I'm 28 years old and have had my Paragard since April 2012. I'm married, have never been pregnant, and likely do not want any children. I'm over-the-moon happy with my IUD. It is the best thing I've ever done! I am a severe migraine sufferer and have been on HBC since I was 18 years old. After getting married at 26 years old my "monthly" migraines were getting out of control. Literally 16-18 migraines, calling off work, sick, just miserable.  I stopped taking my BC pills as a "experiment" and my migraines significantly decreased. However, no BC is really scary so I went to my OB/GYN with tons of questions hoping to find an answer...

Paragard was my answer! My OB/GYN gave me a little pill to insert vaginally 8 hrs before insertion to help relax my cervix. I had it placed at the end of my period cycle on a Thurs afternoon. The procedure was less than 10 minutes. Of COURSE it is uncomfortable, however nothing outrageous. I was in and out... drove myself home, actually to get ice cream first. I took  600 mg Ibuprofen with my ice cream went home and walked my dog. Took it easy for the rest of the day and went to work on Fri. I felt "fullness" in my lower pelvis, no cramping, just puffy. It went away in less than 48 hrs. I had some insignificant spotting for 1 week, then nothing until my first period.

First period was crampy, nothing I couldn't handle. Nothing over-the-top. It lasted 8 days. Next month 7 days, less cramping. 3rd period NORMAL. 5 days, normal flow... done. I've had my period every 30-31 days from then on. Now my periods for the months off the pill were 28-30 day cycles, nothing crazy, I've never had cramps in my life. Just swollen breasts and some bloating before my period.

I LOVE MY IUD! 1) NO MORE MIGRAINES!!!!, 2) No Acne, 3) No weight gain, 4) NO thinking, and 5) Normal periods at normal times!!!!

I couldn't be happier. Everyone posts such negative things online these days... I figured my story may be refreshing and no to scare the crap out of women.

Thanks for listening to my story, hopefully it helps someone. My advice: Everyone's body is different. You need to know your body, know yourself too (what you can and cannot handle), and be up front and ask all sorts of questions to your Doctor. An IUD has a huge transition period attached to it, its 5-10 YEARS of protection so you can't expect perfect results in 2 weeks. Be patient and make sure you're making what you feel is the best decision for YOU.

I have had my paragard for 3 months and I'm miserable. I have horrible cramps almost everyday some days doubled over in pain...worse than contraction pain almost. As I type this I took 800 mg of ibuprofen and have a heating pad on and nothing is helping. Other problems I have gained weight,back pain,heavy periods(soaking thru two long thick pads in not even an hr),hair loss(all hair falls out but this is more than normal) in the past two months I have had 3 uti's and 2 yeast infections(I always pee right after sex), my fiancé says he can feel the IUD and I have experienced dryness and less interested in sex. The last few times have been painful. I'm done feeling miserable...calling Dr tmrw
I had the Paragard for 5 years, removed it to get pregnant.  I loved it didn't have to worry about taking pill. I didn't have any problems with it at all. No weight gain, cramps were regular and periods also. Now that I had my 2nd child, since my Dr no longer had the Paragard I decided to go for the Mirena I dotn like it at all. I've had it for a month and a half. Insertion was very painful, I had spotting for 3 weeks straight, I am beginning to start getting acne which I've never had before and I've just noticed that my hair is falling out and I feel heavy as in I think I'm gaining weight. Another thing I get horrible cramps. I really regret getting the Mirena inserted, going to call my Dr Monday to schedule to get it removed.
I saw that you posted this in March - how are things going since that time? I am 24, similar situation as yours. No kids, don't want to take hormones anymore, condoms are an options but I know my partner and I aren't responsible enough to use them. Thought I'd ask if the negative symptoms have subsided.
I've had the same problem except I would add in extreme mood swings and thoughts that went beyond my control. Everything would irritate me and I even hated my bf most days. I also lost my hair in chunks and had a few bald spots. The drs did blood work on everything and said they all came back normal. Then it dawned on me that maybe it's the copper from the paragard. I believed I had high levels of copper and it could have been the copper that was causing all these problems. So I took the iud out about a month ago and noticed that I'm more relaxed and happy, and my hair is shedding half as much. It could be the copper that was causing all those things.
Hello everybody,
I had the Paragard placed in about 6 years ago after having my son. I was in the Army and during that time I was going through postpartum depression. I released so much anger during that time and got into so much trouble with my job. I have always been quite a mean and stubborn person but not as bad as I turned out to be. I got out of the Army and immediately enrolled in college. I started to feel more anxious, less confident, upper back/shoulder pain, PMS became more extreme, more constipated, more UTI's, fatigue, depressed at times etc... I thought I had a thyroid problem and so far have had 2 test these past 6 years. I recently started feeling so fatigue. I attributed all these symptoms to college. I decided to get total blood work analysis. Everything turned out to be normal. I kept wondering why I was feeling this way, I kept telling my husband that I didn't feel right and something was wrong with me. Also, with the Paragard, I started cramping more, bleeding very heavily, and sometimes I think I ached inside around my IUD. So I finally decided to have it removed and replaced with the Mirena. It was a pretty intense procedure. I almost cried but it took less than 15 minutes. Since then which was only 3 days ago, I have had no cramping, very little PMS symptoms...period supposed to come about around the 27th of March. I feel okay. I feel like I have more energy. I'm not totally sure if I am being myself or just trying to force my issues on the IUD switch. I hope that I experience more positive ways to feel about myself and that my mood swings become kinda non existent. I forgot to add, I was diagnosed as being bi-polar and ADHD. I have had crazy anxiety attacks and I am so afraid of so many little things. I use to be very very confident and very tough, not afraid to take risk. Now I feel like I became a hermit and a scared little baby. After reading all your comments, I think I am beginning to believe that the paragard IUD totally screwed me up.
Hello all! So I just had the Paraguard inserted 3 days ago and I can say that it was MUCH MUCH MUCH better than all of the experiences I have read say!! I went to the planned parenthood in Brooklyn (Boro Hall) to have it done and although the whole appointment, waiting, urine test, and blood test took much longer than I had anticipated, it was far more manageable of an experience than 98% of posts I have read about this.

While certainly everyone's body is different, I do think that the horror stories are WAY overrepresented. So, here is how it went:

First off, I have Horizon BCBS and only had to pay a $15 copay for the WHOLE THING!! I was told to take 800mg of Advil before going in. I accidentally took tylenol which isn't as good because it's not an anti inflammatory - GO WITH ADVIL. I also was terrified so I took more like 1200 mg. I don't condone this, but to be honest I wished to god I had found some weed or leftover painkillers because of how scared I was. After waiting for a while, I went back and spoke with a nurse about the procedure and my full medical history.

I will give you a little backstory. So, I haven't taken birth control since I was in highschool (I am now 24) because it made me TERRIBLY nauseous all of the time. So, I have been using condoms ever since. Recently, I had a condom break and had to take plan b. In case anyone is thinking of doing this while taking an SSRI...well I guess do it, but be prepared to semi withdraw from your antidepressant. Needless to say, I decided I would never EVER take plan b again (if avoidable).

So, I had taken plan b about 3 weeks prior to my appointment and had gotten my period immediately after. This was a weird source of contention and some doctor had to come back and make sure I could still get Paraguard. I was so nervous they wouldn't give it to me, but it turned out it was fine. My nurse was kind of intense. She also told me I couldnt have sex for TWO WEEKS following the procedure which is NOT TRUE according to both doctors who performed the insertion. Very strange.

So, they took a urine sample to make sure I wasnt pregnant (tested it one the spot = benefits of going to planned parenthood), then took a blood sample via finger prick to make sure I wasnt anemic (this is apparently a contraindication, who knew?)

FINALLY, I went into the room with 2 lovely young female doctors who explained everything to me. They told me that it can be used as a form of emergency contraception (AKA like plan b from hell) in certain circumstances, so the nurse was 100% wrong. They only said that I had to wait 48 hours before putting ANYTHING up there because it would risk infection. After that, they said I was "good to go." Honestly, they made the whole thing a lot better for me as I am extremely awkward about going to the gyno.

So, I put my legs in the stirrups and they put in the speculum like a regular pap smear just to check things out. They then put 2 fingers in to feel where my uterus was (which was frankly fine), and then put in what seemed like a larger, colder, metal speculum. They then sterilized (aka swabbed) my cervix, which frankly was really weird and relatively uncomfortable. They then had to "sound" my uterus, which was the worst part. They essentially stuck something through my cervix and this hurt but it was manageable. Honestly I was so scared I was doing lamaze breathing (and it actually helped). The feeling of it going in, honestly, was scary, but mainly because it was a foreign pain. It felt like bad cramps that like surged with pain for like 2 seconds max. It was a build up and then subsided quickly. If you try to like medidate and brace yourself it will be fine.

They then inserted the actual IUD, which was again like a build up, then surge of bad bad cramps, which then subsided. This time was better than the sounding.

The whole actual process took only around 4 minutes (this may even be an exaggeration), with only really 2 scary, but very doable moments. I think the worst part for a lot of people is psychological because it feels much scarier and more painful to be out of control and feeling a foreign kind of pain. If you brace yourself for it psychologically, it will be much better.

Following the insertion, the pain immediately subsided and I wasnt really in any pain at ALL. I walked into the waiting room honestly feeling great. That is when I advise you all to TAKE MORE ADVIL. You are going to have a middle school style cramps session in about 15 minutes. I went directly to get a hamburger and halfway through I just slumped over in fatigue, cramps, and bloating and took a crapload of tylenol.

I will say though that throughout the day, I didn't experience CONSTANT cramps, just like 1-5 minute spurts of BAD CRAMPS and then fine. I actually ended up going out that night.

My advice: Take Advil constantly for 2 days, don't be shy. It will be better on your body and your soul.

By day 3, TODAY for me (!) you will likely feel much better. I only very occasionally feel a little bloated and a tiny bit of lower back pain. I also have very very very minor spotting, more like slighly brown discharge. I expect it only to get better. I don't know why this hasn't been suggested yet, but I think midol would probably be a GREAT addition to the recovery process.

I'll come back with any updates, but as of now I am extremely happy I did it, and all I have to do is go in for a check up in 6 weeks and then nothing until 2025!!!!!! I hope the thoroughness was helpful rather than annoying!

WOOHOO PARAGUARD!!
PARAGARD* oops
I had a paragard for about a year and a half - inserted 3 months after my second child was born.  The insertion was mild cramping. Within hours of getting home the cramping became horrendous and I developed a high fever, which would not be relieved with Tylenol.  It took about 48 hours for the fever to cease.
A month after insertion I had to go back to the doctor for a check up.  At that time they confirmed it was not in the correct location and they had to move it - pain is an understatement.  It was a horror show and pure agony.  I went back two weeks later to confirm it was placed correctly.  During the relocation process the strings were completely cut off.
My periods were horrible and would last 10 days and the cramping would make me vomit.  Finally I had enough and decided it was time to take it out.  My doctor assured me it could be removed it in their office - needless to say it turned into a surgical procedure at the hospital.
The main reason why I had decided on the ParaGard in the first place was because I was nursing my baby and didn't want any extra drugs floating in my body.  I had researched my decision and thought it was a wise decision and investment since I paid for it up front...Luckily no major damage done - but it wasn't a pleasant or positive experience at all.  I do not recommend this product for anybody.
I just had my Paragard taken out after almost a year and a half.  I don't have any children, and don't plan to ever have any.  I had been on the pill since I was 18, but in the last couple years every pill I tried gave me breakthrough bleeding around week 2.  

The IUD insertion was extremely painful for me.  I felt very sick afterward and almost passed out when I was leaving, so I had to stay an extra half hour until I felt okay.  So definitely have someone else drive you to your appointment.  The rest of the day I couldn't do much because of the cramping.  

The Paragard was great in the beginning.  I have never had regular periods, but I was getting them about every 1.5 - 2 months.  Then I didn't have a period for 3 months and I got very worried.  I took a pregnancy test (negative) and went in to get the placement checked (everything fine).  But I could no longer feel the strings as they had wrapped around the cervix, so I stopped checking for it.  

Then when I finally got my period, it never stopped.  I had bleeding ranging from spotting to heavy for 3 months straight.  When I would tell the doctors, they didn't believe me and just checked the placement again, which was always fine.  Then I got a new doctor and he had me keep a menstrual record (it sounds old school, but if you are having problems, it's a MUST so that people actually believe you).  He was able to stop the bleeding with a month's worth of hormone pills, but they gave me bad cramps and horrible acne.  Then my period was fine again for another 3 months.  

But the rampant bleeding started up again, and I was getting awful cramps.  So I finally got it removed yesterday.  I was nervous about it, but I hardly felt anything at all and it was over before I realized what was happening.  From what I've read on other forums, this uncontrolled bleeding seems to be a very common problem, but doctors and certainly the IUD manufacturers don't really acknowledge it.  

My doctor wants to do an SIS to check for polyps, but I'm terrified of the procedure because my insertion was so painful.  I'm just going to go back to good old fashioned condoms for a while to let myself recover from this whole ordeal.  Then I'm going to try NuvaRing and see what happens.  
Hi, I am experiencing everything and more you have said here. The copper has attacked my adrenals and now my thyroid. Memory loss, hair loss, hypothyroidism, and so much more. I have had the paragard iud for 7 years and just put the puzzle together. I am having it out next week.
Can you tell me how long will it take to get back to normal. I know I need to detox myliver bc that is where the copper builds up- but it will take time. I so want to get back to normal and feel normal again. This has been a living HELL on me and my family :(
I have never had a baby and I had the paragard inserted yesterday. The worst pain lasted two minutes during the insertion its self. It was intense but short lived. For the next four hours after insertion I had much lighter craps that came in waves, so not constant but unpleasant.  I took 800mg IB profen 45 minutes before insertion. (note: taking 800 means that you should not take more for eight hours.) I took 400mg after 8 hours. The next day I did not have cramps any more. So 24 hours later, I feel normal. I have never had a baby and the doctor told me that my cervix was narrow. during insertion the pain sent me in to "minor shock" and I became very sweaty and disoriented. For me personally though and since on the next day I feel fine, I am please with the procedure.
I recently discovered this site, but before that a new doc suggested many of my issues could be copper toxicity. I was shocked!  Over the past 3 years my symptoms have gotten horrible. Ive seen several doctors, including an endocrinologist, but then finally wised up and decided to drive an hour away to see an MD who also specializes in integrative and holistic medicine.  My symptoms started out with chest tightness, headaches, and being more tired than usual. I was in college so I was told it was anxiety and stress, told to exercise and stop drinking coffee. I exercised a couple days a week, but also hiked regularly.  Then my symptoms started getting bad about 2 years ago. I started having a lot of trouble sleeping, and not feeling rested after I slept, but my mind would race. I even tried a medication for sleep which lead to my first panic attack.  I cannot tolerate caffeine anymore, have horrible acne, dry skin, fatigue even after 8 hours sleep, difficulty concentrating, being wired at night and tired by day.  I had done some reading and thought maybe it was my thyroid or adrenals.  Saw the endrocrinologist, but was told I was normal.  Then I changed my PCP again and drove far to see this guy.  He is amazing.  Checking my copper levels, saliva cortisol, vitamin levels, thyroid levels including antibodies and reverse t3.  

My questions are to anyone reading is, do you know if excess copper can crap out your thyroid and adrenals?  My doc says my am serum cortisol that was tested before is not good, so definately an imbalance of my adrenals for sure.  Awaiting lab results for the rest.

My next question is how soon did you return to normal after removal?  I can handle cramping and heavy periods but this total fog Im in with no energy and depression is unacceptable.  I really feel like Im going crazy and dont know why.

Ive already started the ball rolling with getting this thing removed, but would like to see my lab results just to confirm Im not crazy. Will post update as soon as I know.
hi

i am so happy i have came upon this blog, i had my P IUD in for 16yrs, yes that long, i was told from several DRs it was OK if it wasn't giving me problems. But now reading everyone's blog i have had issues with it the whole time and never knew it or really blamed the IUD for it. i have had weight gain, anxiety depression, insomnia anemia, OMG i can go on but never thought it could be the IUD, imagine all these years going through this, seeing different doctors for different things, being on anti-depressants for 10 years finally got off, them and the pass 4 to 5 years everyday has been a challenge going though all of this, tomorrow 8/15 i have an appointment with my OBGYN, at first it was to remove my IUD and have it replaced but after hearing all of this and everything i have been through i will not be getting another, i had no idea nor did any doctor tell me all of what i was going through could have been the IUD till now,

i have been blessed and grateful to find this blog and everyone who have shared their stories, i will re-post again as i will start my journey to see if my IUD was the cause of a lot of unbearable sadness in my life..

Thank you.

PS...Before my IUD i never had any of the symptoms i went through after the IUD
Has anyone had sinus like infections with the Paragard?  I have had it for 3 years now and have this horrible odor coming from my nose...super embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People are close to me and watch me like I am a weirdo...hold their noses..hmm...I plan to remove on Saturday..I hope my symptoms disappear immediately after...Im sad...Im desperate....Whhhyyyy meee????
I decided to have the Paragard IUD after my second child.  Insertion was not bad, some minor cramping and dizziness afterward.  However, the side effects were not worth it.  I waited for two years to see if they would go away.  They did not.  I'm sure this must work for some women, but I would make sure that your body will tolerate copper before having the IUD.  I did not know that the IUD could cause hyperthyroidism, which I now suffer from.  I hope it goes away now that the IUD is gone.  Please consider carefully before you get the copper IUD, this is a heavy metal and can be dangerous to your health.  I wish I had been better informed, I could have been more healthy and happy these past few years.
I was on the depo shot before this...... i gained ten pounds and have been struggling to get it off. which ten pounds isnt a big deal..... unless right before you hit your goal weight.

point is, this effer hurts to get put in. right after i got the spins i layed in my car for twenty minutes got a bread bowl from panera and watched movies all day in my boyfriends empty apartment wearing nothing but short shorts and his tshirt.

been on it for about three months now, cramps suck. weight from the shot is coming off because it's finally getting out of my system. and im starting to act like the normal me who my wonderful boyfriend fell in love with instead of the **** of a girl i was on that shot.

i'll take pain over chubby ***** any day.
The mirena causes serious damage to the female body, and the only way to get rid of these side effects for good is to remove the mirena and take natural supplements, herbs and foods and consider natural therapies that will eliminate estrogen dominance, help restore the balance of progesterone and estrogen hormones, and detoxify the body from all the toxins present in mirena such as silicone and copper.
Viewing 201-269 comments: