Para Gard?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Para Gard?

Hi, I am considering using the IUD para gard which is hormone free, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?  Thanks for any info!
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I didn't have the paraguard, but I did have Mirena. The hormones are so low it is safe to nurse and the effects do not linger in your system upon removal. In fact I didn't have any side effects while I had mine other than  light period.

Hopefully someone who has had the paraguard will respond.

Andi
I have been on the pill now for a few years, and I just learned about ParaGard-- unlike the other IUD mentioned, this one has no hormones, and once inserted by the doctor, it lasts for up to 10 years, but you can take it out whenever you want.  According to the website, since there are no hormones, you can start trying for pregnancy immediately after you take it out, and on the flip side, it supposedly begins working the day you have it put in! (no few week waiting period like the pill)

I've been thinking about it because I am really bad about remembering to take my pill, and to take it at the same time.  I always freak myself out, and the idea of never having to remember that sounds really good!
Hi, I would be interested in seeing the replies to this aswell. Can I ask if you have ever been on the pill? And why ur chosing IUD?
i have had a Para Gard.  My side effects were so bad I had it removed this week.  I had it for almost 2 yrs.  The entire time I have had very low hemoglobine.  I have started having migraines I never had them before.  I really thought that the Para Gard was going to be the answer for me.  My husband and I have been married for almost 15 years and we have six children.  I can  not take birth control because of family history of breast cancer.  I would not reccommend the Para Gard. I have had severe cramp and horrible monthly cycles.  I nver had any kind of health problems or female problems until I used the para gard.
I have used paraguard for over 7 mos. I have always had PMS and since insertion of the paraguard, cramps are twice as strong and menstural bleeding is a lot heavier. On the other hand, my doctor has used the paraguard for several years without any symptoms.I only recommend the paraguard if you are willing to ride out possible side effects for the 1st few months. I myself am planning to have it removed if problems persistat a year after insertion.

Hope this helps.
Thank you all for your honest answers!!! This helps alot.

I had the Para guard inserted 2 years ago and I have not had too bad of a problem with the cramps or bleeding although it is quite a bit heavier but what I do not like is the large amounts of cervical mucus that are produced from having the IUD. This may sound awful but I have to tell you it comes out in hanging globs when I go to the bathroom and I can just keep wiping and wiping and it seems like the globs never end! It is constant and intercourse is barely felt at this point and I am thinking of having it removed for that reason. I actually posted a question today about it to find out if anyone else has had the same problem. But as far as comfort and all that it has been fine.

kmolina
hello all! I've had the paragard since 1995. I just had it removed this week--yes I know, it's been 13 years! Never had any problems, however the last 5 years my period would come every 20 days instead of 28 days. Normal periods, some months bad cramps--other months no cramps. I go back in the end of August for another paragard. When I left the dr.s office a couple of days ago, I left with alot of information on other forms of BC. I was seriously thinking about going the Essure route. I've decided against it because: you have to wait 3 months to make sure it "took", requires surgery for removal, only 3 years of data available. I also thought of the Mirena--but then again that has a hormone, only good for 5 years, and actually has more side effects than the paragard. Since I've been on the ParaGard I know how my body reacts to it so I won't have any surprises there--also the day they put it in you can rely on it.

41 year old mother of 17 and 13 year old boys, married 21 years.
Hi there,
I've had my paragard since October 2007- so 10 months.  Since I had it inserted I have a new kind of pain and it is burning, I think about where my ovaries might be.  Does anyone else experience this pain?  It happens before my period, along with all of the other lovely cramping that comes with the paragard.
thanks
Hi Ya'll.. I just got the para gard inserted this past monday,.. as soon as i got this thing inside of me i began to let out blood clots and i was in horrible pain. I didn't think something so small would be so painful. when i came home i noticed when i hit the shower that these two strings were very noticeable.., and all of a sudden today being saturday these strings disappeared... and i have some major discomfort on the right side of my body.. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS?.. (lol) is this normal?..how do i know this thing is still in me?...

I would greatly appreciate a response..
I've had paragard for a year and a half, the bleeding and cramps are unbearable.  I've decided today it's gotta go (i'm actually out of work today because of it).  I'm 28 yrs. old and have tried everything, the side effects just aren't worth it.  Not ready for kids and may never be...any suggestions???
I just had my son in July and my daughter is six years old I don't think I want kids I don't want to speek for my self in for 10 years from now and I don't want to keep taking the pill because... well that is how I got my son.. I did some research on Mirena and everyone said that they gained a ton of weight.... does the Paragard make you gain weight and does it feel ok when you work out?
I have had the Paragard for about 9 months now and it is great.  I do have a heavy period for the first 3 days or so but then it is back to normal.  I do not feel, nor does my partner feel the IUD during intercourse.  I would tell anyone who is considering Mirena to do the research...it caused me to gain 7 lbs. immediately and migraines to come on full throttle.  After I switched it out for Paragard all is well.  I think everyone is different but I have definitly had a good experience thus far.  
I have had the Paragard for a year and 1/2 now.  I have to say my periods were always on the heavy side, but only lasted 4 days with virtually no cramps.  Until, I got the Paragard.  My period can last up to 10 days now, but that is accounting for the first 2 days and last 3 days being so light, I can wear a tampon for the whole day.  It still gets to be annoying though.  As for the heavy days, well, they are VERY heavy and if i'm at work or home its not a problem to change my tampon every 45 minutes, but when on vacation or anywhere that a bathroom is not easily accessible, it can be a problem.  As for my cramps...remember what your period felt like the first year you had it.  Well, that's what my cramps feel like now.  For the first 8 months or so, they were AWFUL.  I always had to take something around the clock the first couple of days of my cycle.  Now they seem to have lessened and some months they are barely there and other months, they are quite noticeable.  As for ovulation.  I never knew when I ovulated before I got the Paragard.  Now, I have cramps and heavy discharge, but its literally like water.  Sorry that was gross.  Still after all this, I would recommend it for anyone who cannot tolerate the hormones in birth control.  I had tried every low hormone pill, ring, etc.  The Paragard takes some getting used to, but its way better than the hormones and filling prescriptions once a month, etc.  I hope this was helpful.
I have had it for a few years now.  It was great for the first couple of years, but in the last year I've been having a lot of problems.  I started getting this clear watery discharge that during my period, especially if I put a tampon in.  I can't use tampons anymore, because I get so much discharge it goes right through my undies and pants!  Very embarrassing and scary.

Also: when I first got mine inserted, I would sometimes get a thick mucousy yellow-ish discharge.  My doc said it was normal.  But this past year I have been getting it more and more.  Now I get it almost every day.  It's pretty gross!  Sometimes it's brown.

I have also been having loose stools, a lot of gas and frequent heartburn for the past year.  I'm kind of a mess!  I've been to a lot of doctors.  They keep telling me the vaginal symptoms are separate from the rest but I just don't buy it.  It all started at once.  Plus, no one can tell me what's wrong.  As far as I can tell, I don't fit into any categories, and so the docs don't know what to say.  I'll tell you one thing for sure, though: every time they do a wet mount I have a high bacteria count on my cervix.

I'm going to make an appointment with a new doctor and see if I can't get some traction.  I'm due for my yearly pap anyway.  I think it might be time to take out the IUD and see if some of this stuff clears up.  I was willing to deal with the discharge when it was infrequent, but not every fricken day!  And if this gastrointestinal stuff is related, then I'm just not a good candidate for an IUD.

(this is a cross-post from another thread about the Mirena where a lot of others are talking about discharge from their IUD.)
I just had my paraguard inserted on the 4th of February.  My period almost immediately stopped has anyone had this occur?  Also how difficult was it the first time to find the strings?
i have had it 2 months and i get little cramps sometimes and spotting, and my partner says he can feel it during intercourse.  Does anyone feel that way too?
I've had the paragard for 4 years now and my symptoms are almost identical to jellybean1212.  It does seem that if you have it in for years that the symptoms do lessen a bit.  But I'm still having my period 11 days of the month, the cramping has definitly lessened, it was terrible the first months, it felt just like the contractions when your in labor.  The other concern I have had is amount of blood loss, because I have always had issues with anemia, I think this could be a real problem.  I have also started to have that watery discharge issue and that only started happening recently, I wonder what that's about?  It's also terribly painful to have inserted and I would make sure to have someone drive you home, even just for moral support.  It's a big decision, but there are some upsides, no hormones and the ability to be spontaneous and not worry about the pill.
I just the paragard inserted yesterday, it was really painful, and like ak225, my period stop, (and I just had it for three days) I just have some spotting and a little cramp that doesn't go away, but I'm woman, and I can handle more than that... I'll let you guys know about next month's period...
I had Paragard inserted 3 days ago and so far it has not been a good experience. The insertion was far more painful than I expected. When I got up from the table to leave, I broke out into a sweat, became nauseous, and almost fainted. It was really strange. Over the weekend I had the worst cramps I've ever had in my life. 800mg of Motrin barely made a difference. I continue to have bad cramps and bleeding. Is this normal? I'm considering having the device removed. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Update: I started experiencing dizziness off and on last night and it has continued until today. I called my doc and he said this is not normal. I'm seeing him on Friday for possible removal. We shall see.
Update: It's been a week since I had the paragar inserted... so far I really like it, I dont have any cramps, just the first couple of days, I only have a lot of discharge, but that's ok, my body it's getting used to a new thing. There's two things I'm scared of: expulsion and getting pregnant and the bad cramps... but it's not time for my period yet, so I'll see if I still love it after that... (I have a feeling that I know I will)
I have had mine in for almost 3 months now and I love it.   I don't love the cramping during my periods or the heavy bleeding.  The pain is not unbearable but definately worse then I used to have.  Also my periods are very heavy which is inconvenient but I wouldn't change it.  

Insertation was very difficult for me also.  Apparently because I have not had any children is was more painful.

Not having to take a pill everyday is WONDERFUL!!!!!
I jst had the Paragard IUD inserted today and it was extremely painful. after a few hours I started bleeding lightly. I had given birth thru c-section almost 8 yrs ago and been on a pill since then.. my cramping hasn't stopped and it's so painful since the Paragard was inserted... I really do hope this works since the nuva ring didn't work for me and I really wanted to stop taking hormones.. I'm kind of wondering coz my last OB put me on a 3-month-regime pills called Seasonique but the spotting and cramping was uncomfortable for the 2yrs I took it.. I was showing some signs of endometriosis and that's y I was put in under the pills where I would only have periods every 3 months... and plus I haven't had red meat in my diet for 7 yrs now.. so I wonder how bleeding heavily on a monthly basis would affect me.. problem with seasonique was I gained weight and I'm a pretty active individual.. I swim for an hour to an 1.5hr, brisk-walk for 45mins, or do some cardio class for 2 straight hours, yoga, and weights.. I alternate all those activities for 5 days a week but gained weight only during taking Seasonique.. :( reading negative experiences is making me nervous since I fall on that 1% women who are sensitive to nuva ring.. mine didn't stay in place and kept falling out.. I hope this one stays in..  
has anybody experience any weight gain at all from Paragard/Copper IUD? I came across a site where women there said they gained weight as fast as within 2 wks of being on this specific IUD... I jst thought it's impossible since Paragard/Copper IUD doesn't contain any hormones.. thanks
do u guys know the expulsion rate of the Paragard/Copper IUD? I just had mine inserted a few days and scared that it will come out since the same thing happened several times from the Nuva ring.. I'm a physically active person.. I spend about 2.5 hours working out 5 days a week and paranoid that my uterus jst keeps on contracting and might end expelling the IUD.. thanks!
I had a Paragard IUD inserted today and it HURT!! But I have never had a baby and I think that contributed to the pain. I belive it was the cervical dilation that caused me the most pain. I also almost fainted, was super dizzy and almost puked once I stood up.. but that is common per my OB/GYN. I am hoping these cramps subside a little and that I am not cursed with super heavy periods with bad cramps from now on. I am approaching 34 & my OB/GYN will no longer rx me the BCP since I occasionally smoke so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this IUD works out for me!    
I just got the paragard insterted in me 2 days ago.It was very difficult for the doctor to put it in because I had never had kids before.She had to try three times and on the third she squeezed through and made it in.If you distract yourself by thinking or listening to something else while the doctor is putting it in then you will only feel 1/3 of the pain.Maybe even less.After I left the hospital I felt extreamly nausous , had really bad cramps and felt like I had to use the bathroom.I ended up throwing up and in the bathroom the rest of the day.After that day everything went away and now I only feel a tiny cramp.
I had my Paragard for 8+ years. I had no change in my periods (no extra cramping or heavier bleeding). Recently began having abnormal bleeding and removal was recommended to determine if it was caused by the Paragard or some other cause. My Gyn said that after the abnormal bleeding stops (if related to paragard) I can have another one inserted (even if the Paragard was the cause since it took over 8 years for any problem), which is what I plan to do. No problems for over 8 years, no hormones, no side effects...which is better than can be expected out of the Mirena IUD. I HIGHLY recommend paragard and two of my friends got one upon my recommendation. Neither have had any problems after the initial minimal cramping and spotting for a couple of months (they had no previous children and I had, which may explain why I only had mild cramps and spotting the day of insertion). Excellent form of birth control that you don't have to worry about all time or do anything (other than check strings).
i had mine inserted in january and it has not gotten any better yet. very heavy periods that come out of nowhere. a few days light, then very heavy, then light, very annoying!!  very long periods and sometimes every 2 weeks. this thing ***** so far but ive been determined to wait it out because of the money spent on putting it in. im definitely not impressed. i did have cramping after it was put in also got the almost fainting feeling. my periods are very unpredictable. have to use a new tampon every 1-2 hrs. and when you wake up you better head straight for the toilet!!! im in a fairly new relationship and this thing has been a pain in the ***. im bleeding all the time it seems. before the paragard my periods were always 4-5 days no problem at all very light and  ive never had cramping. ive also noticed that my face keeps breaking out. this was never the case before paragard. i know theres no horomones but this is also something thats never been a problem until now. overall i liked the idea of no horomones and the hassle free birth control..but there is nothing hassle free about this. id rather take a pill every day. im thinking of having it removed which im sure will be so much fun. ive read tons on the mirena and that one scares the **** out of me!!  had the paragard for 1/2 year lots of bleeding and pimples!!!yay!!!
Hi.  i got the paragard two weeks ago.  I have been battling with depression ever since...being irrational and crying a lot.  Has anyone experienced this?  I don't know what to do bc I know it doesn't contain hormones.....so this may not make a lot of sense?  Help?  
i talked to my nurse today and after having the paragard for 6 months with horrible periods that were way too long, and breaking out on my face the entire time...she said to definitely have removed. so ive decided to go back  on the pill instead. also my boyfriend said he could feel it from time to time. that just seems weird to me and i'd rather not have to worry bout that anymore.
Update: I got inserted the paragard Apr 22nd, I had crapms for a couple of days.. then, I got my perdiod 43 days later, that was June 1st, and I am still on my period a week later, but... is really light, no cramps at all... I'm loving it so far... my skin is really clear now, but I'm losing hair like crazy, but it keeps growning back, I dont fight with my husband like before... i dont get mad crazy like before, and I dont cry anymore... my husband doesn't feel it, it doesnt bother me during sex... I think it's perfect.
I have a question... is it normal to have a two week period, this is my first one since the insertion, it is really light and no cramps at all.
I'm currently on Mirena and have been for 6 months now, and after gaining 15 lbs., having some cramping, random 2 day periods, and a BV (bacterial vaginosis) infection I'm done with it and will have it removed tomorrow. Comparing with what has been said here, Paragard, just sounds to me as a better option. And I also hope that since I have one child and the Mirena already, the discomfort will be less. Here is to HOPE!
i had the paragard inserted in november of last year and have really had no problems with it up until now.  every now and then i would get pains in my sides when i ovulated.  my periods were extremely heavy but didn't last as long as they used to.  now though, with the period i started today, i'm passing some pretty heavy clots.  even while sitting in the bathtub!  i didn't think you could bleed while in the tub - never have before...i had to jump out of the tub - it was so gross!  i love it other than that and i really don't know if the problem is from the paragard or not...it's wonderful to know that you are protected at all times and to never have to worry that you forgot to take a pill!  if anyone else reading this has experienced any heavy clotting with the paragard, please let me know if it's normal!
I had the paraguard inserted June of 2008 it has now been a year that I've had it, and i have had nothing but trouble with it some symptoms that i have are: extreme cramps all month long, some so extreme i have to stop where i am and drop the the floor..i have extremely heavy periods this is gross but i have to share, my periods are so heavy that i have to use a pad from my belly button to the top of my butt..i have dizzy spells,acne on my face and back(which i have never had before), and weight gain that i have been unable to lose, i am sooo moody all the time and my husband has been poked by it a couple of times and that is embarassing,  i called my doctor and he has told me that i should get it removed, I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THE PARAGRD TO ANYONE...anyone else have these problems
more updates....after having all the problems with the paragard...heavy periods, acne, really long periods..2 weeks sometimes with spotting. i did talk with my nurse who recommended taking it out since it had been 6 months and no change with the side effects. it s been almost 2 months now since i had it removed and everything is back to normal. thank god. i decided to go back on the pill. ortho lo i believe. it did take about a month before my periods went back to normal but not a big deal. there is nothing worse than bleeding all the time and so frequently. my recommendations to anyone who is having tha same problems and its been more than 3 months and you're still waiting for the side effects to go away...have it removed!!!! it was so easy having it removed took a few seconds one breath out and it was gone. i had a few side effects switching back to the pill like nausea, and felt a little irritable the first week but after that all is great. my skin cleard up and is getting better the more time goes on. for anyone that has not read my past comments it was the paragard i had. for anyone considering it all i can say is this is the experience i had. i would not recommend it personally. i found much better luck with the pill. there are many types of pills out there and if you find a good physician that really understands your concerns and needs there should be one that would work for you.
Hi!  I had the paragard for 14 months.  I loved the device except that I tend to absorb copper easily so I was having serious nausea with it after the first 6 months.  I did feel very comfy using it while breast feeding for it doesn't have hormones.  I would use it again for that purpose, but then go to the Mirena after breast feeding-which I really liked too.
Just out of curiosity. Everyone who had all these problems with it. Like the bad periods and bad cramping. Was this people who had or hadn't had children? Or about an even mixture of both? I got the paragard inserted yesterday. Hurt a tiny bit but nothing bad at all. Spotted for like an hour afterward with some super light cramps. Everything was fine that night and has been all day today. Hoping this is a good sign but if not oh well. I met my deductible in January when I was pregnant with  my son so I didn't have to pay the 200 to 600 for it.
First, let me say, I have 1 child, who just turned 6 years old and I had her vaginally. My body does not handle hormones well AT ALL! After years of trying different birth control methods, Paradard was my last option.

I had it inserted January 26th, 2009. First of all, the insertion was very painful, followed by a week of horrible cramping.

I then got PID( pelvic inflammatory infection)
which i had to take antibiotics for.

Here is my period calendar since insertion:

1/18/09- started period
1/25- p. over
1/26- IUD insertion
1/27- started bleeding again
2/2- p. over
2/9- started
2/23- p over
3/11- started
3/19- stopped
4/6- started
4/16- stopped
5/3-5/13 period
5/22- spotting
6/3-6/11- period
6/29-7/20 period
8/1-8/13 period
8/24-8/31 period
9/4 spotting
9/5 spotting
9/6 spotting
9/15- present period

Now, doesnt that seem a little ridiculous to anyone?

But wait, it gets better. My periods were heavy and PAINFUL! I had to get 2 perscriptions for vicodin! and 1 for ultram (tramadol).

Ive taken countless ibuprophen and diuretics for pain and swelling
which you need to know, the swelling has been HORRIBLE! To the point where i have been in tears on countless occasions because of the level of discomfort and weight gain.

And on the topic of weight gain, i dont care what any doctor or ANYONE says, the Paragard DOES cause weight gain. I am a fit and active person and have maintained my weight for years.

I HAVE GAINED ALMOST 15 POUNDS! SINCE JANUARY!

Not only have i been completely uncomfortable and in horrible pain for so long, i never have sex anymore because i feel disgusting, and im always on my period!

Do your research before getting this thing! Its crazy.

Oh, and someone else had mentioned other digestive issues maybe being associated with this and i agree. my cramps were nothing like they used to be, i feel it all the way up my abdomen to my chest. anytime i have gas or a BM, it irritates my uterus.

Sometimes, the pain can be dabilitating.

My doc kept telling me "wait it out. it will get better"

Well, im done with that. I have an appointment next week to get my life back.

I had my paragard inserted about a month ago.  I had just started my period (more on that later), and after insertion, it pretty much stopped.  So far, I'm really liking it, above all other BC's I've tried.  I was worried about my acne coming back (as I've had mild acne since I was 17), but it hasn't, though this could be due to a change in skin care routines.  I haven't had any weight gain, mood swings, or loss of sex drive like I did with the Nuvaring (I HATED the NR!), in fact, my sex drive has improved immensely (isn't that why I'm on BC in the first place?).
Just a few notes, because so many people have talked about their pain upon insertion:
I don't have any kids, and yes, it hurt.  But my doc did several things:
1.) She told me to take 800 mg of aleve or advil an hour prior to insertion
2.) She wouldn't insert unless I was ON my period (to make sure I wasn't pregnant, but also because your uterus and cervix are more relaxed = easier insertion
3.) She had me take iron pills for a month prior to insertion (I'm slightly anemic and they won't insert unless your RBC's are high enough, plus it helped with the heavier flow I was supposed to expect)
Like I said, I'm happy thus far with my paragard.  For those of you experiencing heavy flow and tiredness, try taking an iron supplement, that might help.  And now that you're not on HBC you can take St. John's Wart for mild depression (it interferes with HBC's and makes them less effective).  These have worked for me, and I hope to never go back to pills or rings again!
Hello.  I had paragard inserted a month ago.  I have never had a child and knew to expect pain upon insertion.  After that, so far, it's been pretty uncomfortable overall.  There were a couple of weeks where I wasn't sucking down Ibuprofen but for the most part, I am constantly on pain medicine of some sort for the cramps.  BM and gas also cause horrible cramps for some insane reason.  The cramps, while I have never had a child, at times feel like it HAS to feel like it does to have a kid -  It's beyond belief excruciatingly horrible.  Boyfriend said he could feel the string.  Not sure about weight gain because I gained like ten pounds right before I had it put in and have been running my butt off to lose it so who knows......I am almost 30 so my metabolism is slowing down anyway.  Weird, irregular periods.  My periods weren't terribly heavy to begin with so they are probably just a normal flow now. But they did become a bit heavier.  I am going to give it another couple of months and try something else if the cramps don't subside.  Sex life is pretty lame due to this.....boooooooooooooooooooo.  I hope it gets better!  
I had paragard inserted yesterday, and let me tell you- I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but this was bad! I was told since I have never been pregnant that it would be more painful, but that doesn't even begin to cover the amount of pain. (The doctors made the pain sound mild) Insertion was uncomfortable, which I expected, but the cramps were so violent that they caused me to vomit. I felt pretty crappy all day. The doctor gave me 800-mg of ibuprofen, which I don't take regularly (so maybe thats why I got sick) but after I got home the cramps were getting worse, I took naproxen sodium (alieve), the cramps got better. More time in between and not as painful, but they still would take my breath away and I would have to stop what I was doing and breath. Today, I am still having very mild cramps. If I wasn't working today, I wouldn't take anything. Hopefully, I won't have anymore pain or extreme bleeding. The whole point to the IUD is greater freedom, flexibly and no hormones. Just wanted to share my experiences so others are informed before they go in.
My son was born in Nov 07 and I've had my Paragard in since Jan 08. Now I don't want to get too personal, but since I've had this IUD in I don't have an ounce of sex drive! I have constant back pain and I'm moody too.
My 'normal' periods for as long as I can remember have been everyother month for 3-5 days. Now, I can't remember the last period I had. I don't have insurance to have a dr take it out so I'm dealing with the pain.
Hope this has helped!
Ashleigh
Engaged 3years. 2yr old son.
I THINK I'M GAINING AN AVERAGE OF 2LBS A WEEK SINCE I HAD THE PARAGARD INSERTED!!! I've never weighed more than 105 lbs unless I was pregnant!!! Now, all of a sudden I'm gaining weight like crazy!!
I've had paragard for 4 years now.  For me it was the best decision ever.  When I was 16 I was put on the pill to help my out of control periods.  My period were very heavy, lots of cramping and all the irritability to go with it.  The pill helped but I was always forgetting to take it at the right time.  I then changed to the ring.  Well I was always forgetting what week to take it out and put the next one in.  My husband and I were not planning on having children and were shocked to find out I was pregnant and miscarrying.  We decided to find a different option.  I decided on Paragard.  What sold me was the fact that it is a non hormonal IUD.  After 10 years of hormone, i was ready to be off.  The biggest thing I had to get used to was the fact that I no longer has hormones controlling my periods.  My menstruation did go back to being irregular with heavy bleeding.  This is how my body normally works with out hormones.  I was very uncomfortable with possible effects taking hormones for the rest of my life might cause.  For my Paragaurd is allowing my body work without artificial hormones.  I now control my PMS with Magnesium and Vitex.  I love that I don't have to worry about an unplanned pregnancy for the next 6 years that I have left until I will get this paragard replaced.
I just got my Paragard put in today. All in all it was a really positive experience. Hurt like hell when she was opening my cervix a bit, but I started doing breathing like from when I was in labor and they really helped. Whole thing took 5 mins. 8 hours from procedure I feel great. No spotting, no cramping, and no more hormones!!!! I hated doing that to my body everyday with the pill. I feel so dang free right now!

Oh and to the ladies who commented about their men feeling the strings, tell them "tough s&*t!" If they don't like it they should wear a condom. Women seem to have to suffer all the birth control side effects, responsibility in taking birth control and pretty much have to take care of babies %90 of the time. If my partner complains that he can feel the strings, I'll tell him those strings are playing a tiny sympathy tune for his penis. lol
I had the paraguard installed 3 days ago. Let me tell you; I have never experienced pain like this before! I can't being to tell you how PAINFUL it was besides telling you I hyperventilated and fainted on the damn table. 12 hrs later I went to the ER screaming in agony. The OB/GYN never explained the degree of discomfort (too small a word for it) I would experience. I was told it would hurt more because I have never had children but HOLY HELL! Never in my life did I expect the human body could experience that amount of pain without dying!!!!! Thank the Lord I was told to have the paraguard installed while on my cycle or else, my OB said it would've hurt more!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?
Anyway, day 3 (today), I am feeling world's better! Still spotting, yes, but what concerned me was the discharge... I hope not to be too graphic but wow!!!! I usually do have d/c anyway, but nothing like this! I hope this goes away, just like the pain did.
After reading everyone's entries, I have decided to keep a diary of my day to day progress tapering off to month to month. I figure the paraguard is approx. $450 and pills are $25 from Planned Parenthood.  So the paraguard pays for itself in 18 months. If I don't like it, I will remove it, but I have to give it a chance. If not, the pain I endured would not be worth the hassle.
I don't have heavy cycles (lasts usually 4 days) and never experience cramps (maybe once a year). I am PRAYING that the paraguard is the answer to birth control for me.
B/C makes me nutso and I get so depressed with pills and the ring. I have tried everything under the sun for b/c and I hope paraguard is the light at the end of the tunnel.
thank you everyone for your responses!
I will check back in to give more news as it is available.
Good luck to you all!
*Sunni*
i got paragard iud 9months ago and after 4moths of regular priods  i started bleeding every day for 4 months and i just stoped is this normal?
I just got Paragard inserted today. I felt a slight discomfort during the insertion (the discomfort lasted about 2 seconds, the whole insertion process took about 4 minutes). I have had some REALLY MILD intermittent cramps here and there today, but nothing to trouble me. It was a breeze. But maybe that's just compared to previous attempt (see below).

I chose Paragard because the "no hormone" approach appealed to me... and because I'm terrible about taking pills on time. My previous forms of birth control included Ortho Tricyclen, Ortho Lo and Ortho Evra. Most recently, I was on Depo Provera for two years (FYI: Depo isn't the monster that people make it out to be. It's a good option for some people so don't be afraid to look into it).

The doctor I went to prefers to do the insertion on a patient who is on her period. But since I have been on Depo Provera I haven't had a period in about 22 months! Because I had previously had a vaginal delivery (my daughter is 16 years old now) the doc decided to give insertion a try without my period (this was last month). OMFG... OUCH! And I mean: OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It hurt so bad I broke out in a cold sweat, my vision went fuzzy and was very, very afraid I might lose bowel control on the exam table (sorry to be gross, but that's how it was). He could not force it through, and he gave it a MIGHTY try! He even tried giving me shots of lidocaine or something directly into my cervix (needle stab + cervix = no fun) but it just wouldn't work.
So he put me on Loestrin FE for a month to trigger a period. He told me to stop taking it last Friday and scheduled me to come in to see him this morning. I was concerned when I went in this morning because my period had NOT actually started and I didn't want to repeat the last failed attempt. He looked a little grim when I told him my period hadn't started and immediately sent the nurse for lidocaine before he even peeked under the sheet.
But it worked!!! It was really easy. In fact, he said he saw some spots of blood at/near my cervix and could tell that I was just about to start. Talk about great timing! My doc is a genius!!! I did feel some discomfort. It wasn't exactly a pain sensation... just like I was being touched on surfaces that aren't used to being touched. And that moment of discomfort was over before I finished saying "Oh!"

And that was it. That's all there was to it.

I had my paraguard inserted in oct of 09 and let me tell you what. I have never in my life been in so much pain as I was during the insertion and afterwards when I get my cramps for my period. My cramps are so bad that I literally cannot move. I was walking in the grocery store the other day and suddenly I got a cramp and I thought I was going to pass out. It was terrible. I started doing some more extensive research on the side effects and I found this website. For me HBC is not an option any longer. My body just cannot handle the additional hormones, so it was either this or condoms. I am going to wait for a year and see if my side effects lessen but if they do not I will be removing it.
I had the IUD inserted about a week ago and yes, it hurt like Hell!  I was very concerned about my experiences afterwards until I read all of your posts and you have had the same experience as me.  I too almost fainted, was dizzy, threw up, pooped, sweated profusely, my blood pressure dropped, and had bad cramping afterwards.  I had to stay at the doctors for 2 hours afterwards to make sure I was well enough to drive.  Insertion is NO JOKE!  

Afterwards, I bleed for 5 days strait, some light, some heavy and am now spotting lightly.  I was also concerned because of the blood clots (some brown and some red) and the extreme mucus-like discharge.  Some of you have also experienced this.  I am hoping this goes away because I won't let my boyfriend get intimate with me right now due to this gross side effect!  I haven't had my period yet, so I'm not sure how that will go down.  I am hoping for the best!

My friend who had it put in said her symptoms went away after a couple of months.  I'm hoping that mine will too.  I'm going to give it 6 months to clear up and if not, it's coming out!

Well, it's been ten days. My period started later that same day, as the doc predicted, and lasted for five days. It wasn't especially heavy and I had no cramping at all. I do have some light spotting yesterday and today, but nothing gross or weird.

So far, so good.
i had the paragard in 2months ago no problems just a few days of bleeding afterwards. i'm a nursing mother so im wondering if that has anything to do with my not experiencing and side effects. ALSO during intercourse my husband is gertting really annoyed because he can feel it poking him he sAYS. anyone with me on this ?????? maybe its not in all the way???
Did anyone get an ultrasound to confirm placement of their IUD?
Has anyone been told their uterus is enlarged???

I have had such heavy bleeding that I requested an ultrasound, and even though the IUD is in place, the ultrasound showed my uterus is enlarged.
Has anyone had anything like this?

I've been gaining weight and I look pregnant.
I swear I can feel the top of my uterus, just like when I was pregnant.

Anyone have anything like this?

To sum up my story:
If the paragard didn't work so well for birth control, I'd get this thing yanked today.
I absolutely HATE my periods
I've had paragard for 9months.
I had 2 kids prior to getting paragard.
The insertion was somewhat painful (the tenaculum instrument hurt a lot but just for a second) and then the cramping when the IUD was inserted.
My bleeding has been incredibly heavy since then, periods lasting 10 days with very unpredictable flow, sometimes it will almost stop and then start gushing an hour later, I go through easily 20-30  super duper absorbent tampons during a period, plus another 20 of the regular type.  And I still bleed through.
I feel like I'm hemorrhaging.
I have bled all over car seats, and even worse...MY SEAT AT WORK...very embarrasing!
(sorry if that's too much info)
By the way, yes I've heard of the strings poking the guy.
Generally I think it's related to the length of the string, I've heard it said that if they're too short this can happen, but perhaps this could happen if they're too long?
I would definitely mention this to your doctor.
Well, it's been 10 days of continuous bleeding since I got the Paraguard!  Since the most frequent time for it to come out is during the first month, I've been checking daily to make sure it's still in place and have encountered a hard lump on one side of my cervix, almost like it's slipping down and poking it from the inside.  I'm due to go back in a month and if I have my period or some sort of bleeding until then, then I'm yanking it out!  The hassle of this much maintenance  isn't worth the connivence and non-hormone option the Paraguard provides.  Give me the pill over this any day!  I'll take the hormones!
I had my paragard for 3 years.  Throughout the three years I experienced heavier periods that lasted for 4 days and headaches during my period.  At one point I noticed my hair was thinning durning the first year of insertion, but I couldn't find much information on these types of side effects so I thought it was caused from something else. I have also gained 30 pounds the first two years.  During the last month I experienced sharp pains in my uterus and I had to be rushed to the ER.  They found a large cyst on my ovaries that had blood in it.  The ER doctor wanted to remove my IUD, but my doctor did not want it removed.  I'm still confused as to why the doctors thought differently about the IUD causing the pain that I experienced.  Anyhow, I requested to have the IUD removed and now I have been bleeding for 10 days.  I'm also on the BC pill. Is this normal?  I just want to be back to normal.
I had my Paragard put in yesterday and I should have took a couple days off! I've never had a child so the procedure was a little more painful then expected since they had to dilate my opening to get it in. The cramping was unbearable, I cried under my covers for two hours afterward despite having 800mg of Advil. The cramping on day two isn't as intense but still really uncomfortable and it is like my worst period x5. The bleeding is heavy (I wasn't bleeding when I went in) and the cramps are constant. I'm bloated more than ever in my life and I think I see why people might gain weight on this, because I am the type to eat when I'm upset and this is like a really bad period.
I just had a Paragard inserted yesterday, and it was extremely painful, but sence i have been hearing that the vagina is only 3-4 inches long i have been scared to have intercourse. My significant other Has a 8 inch penis, and im scarred he may some how reach the IUD and cause me to get internal damage. could someone please get back with me. thanks            email: anti_drug147***@****
It will be 1 yr next month that I've had the paragard. Insertion was quite painful and my cramps hurted like hell in the beginning. It was wierd becuz I have always got cramps from my lower back until I got the paragard and started cramping from my lower abdominal but everything went back to normal within the first 2 weeks. About 3 months ago I started to have heavy discharge like mucus (Sorry) and still going through it. I wanted to mention this since someone had said the same thing from an older post and so other women can be aware of this side effect. Other than that that's the only side effect that I'm having and everything is still normal, no weight gain, no acne, etc. Oh and my husband doesn't feel anything..... so far.
I had my Paragard inserted almost a week ago. It was NOT bad at all!!!!, the insertion part. Took only 2-5 minutes. The bad came later. The cramps were pretty bad. I had to lay down. I tried to manage the pain with pain killers, but cramps were still getting through. It was still bad the second day. Now the crams are almost all gone. But now I also have bleeding/period which is not due for another 2 weeks. Moderate/Heavy/Some clots right now. I had my Paragard put in while NOT on my period. If you can WAIT until your period - please do. I really think it will be worth it for the body. Otherwise you are inducing your period early. ( I din not know that before )
Also best if you had a baby (vaginally) so you know what to expect from your cramps. I had mine 2 yrs. ago. I'm 30 now.
Can't do hormones - weight gain plus worsen migraines. I would not even think Mirena after all the research. Plus those migraine pains REALLY outdo my current cramps, even on Paragard. Plus the copper has been around for longer then hormonal IUD. I hope I'll be leaving the "satisfactory" follow up in a few months.
I am in school for Nursing, and so far my (PERSONAL) opinion from everything I've learned is to STAY AWAY from hormones, unless there is a real need for it because of medical reason. I would not mess with it.
I had the Paragard inserted 2 years ago...since then life has been hell.  I can not take hormones due to other health reasons...so I am left with this IUD as my last resort.  For two years I have passed clots the size of bowling balls (gross, I know..)...and swelled up like a fat kid randomly throughout the month.  I think after reading all of your comments I will be removing this thing sooner than I had planned.  I am tired of being in pain and I want to fit into my goddamn jeans again.  Back to the smelly old fashioned condoms...thank god for them.  Oh yeah...my boyfriend totally feels the string...but to me that is the least of my problems.  Isn't there anything besides a vasactomy the guys can get???  I think it's the least they can do since we have to endure periods and child birth.  I hate being a woman...

Love,

Negative Nancy
I too need hormone free because I'm prone to having yeast infections from all other oral birth controls.  

I've had the paragard since July '09 and have experienced nothing but yuck since I had it inserted.  First was the pain everyone else talks about after insertion.  Then, no joke, a month later I have a cyst on my right ovary.  Worst pain I've ever had (and I've had 2 kids naturally).  My cycles have been about every 28 days, but they last for 7 or 8 days with heavy flow (using Ultra tampons and pads!).  The worst problem is the excessive yellowish discharge (I know -- grose -- sorry).  My skin is so sensitive from all the moisture I have no desire to be intimate with my husband.  My skin on my face has also started breaking out and I've had to go on Proactive to try and clear it up.  I've had the weight gain, but only 8 lbs so far.  I have my yearly next month -- I'm certain I'll have it taken out then.  

Wouldn't recommend this form of BC.  Hormone free is great -- but all of the above isn't worth it.  I'll go back to condoms until husband gets a vasectomy (sp?).

Hope this helps
Hello, I suffer from PMDD. I have severe headaches,fatigue, breast tenderness, cramps so bad that even with 800mg motrin I still cant move around, severe mood swings, ect. I went to planned paranthood and they recommended the paragard because I have anxiety and panic disorder and Im not good with pills/hormones in my system. After reading all these posts about worst cramps and heavier flows then normal....Im terified. I've never had a child before and I have a pretty small figure. I have an appt to get a paragard inserted but Im honestly thinking about cancelling. What do you recommend?
Hi Ziaon, I would avoid Paragard if I were you. I started experiencing the symptoms you describe AFTER having my Paragard fitted. I never had them before. They were utterly debilitating & not only that, but I have had infection after infection. In my experience doctors brush off these concerns as 'not a known side effect' - I've had this experience with the pill, Mirena and Paragard. Well you only have to read the testimonies of hundreds if not thousands of women out there to know that doctors are not always right. I don't like hormonal contraception either, which is why I had the Paragard fitted. Have just had it taken out today and I hope the infections, pain, soreness and weight gain will be relieved! I am going back to the diaphragm and would suggest you look at this option too if you can.
Hi zianon, I just wanted to let you know that although a lot of people have had scary experiences with the Paragard, mine was/is amazing and I am so so glad I had it inserted.

For about a month before I was scheduled to get a Paragard, I was frantically researching to make sure it was the right choice for me. Everyone on the message boards i checked said it was a terrible idea, but I wanted a nonhormonal, easy to remember form of birth control that wouldn't give me the stress and anxiety I experienced with just condoms.

The insertion was very painful. I can't deny that, but it was definitely not as painful as I expected it to be, and only took about 10-15 minutes. They'll give you some ibuprofen. I felt mildly uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

The next day, I had severe cramps and spotting. I thought I was going to die and was cursing myself for not listening to all those oh-so-helpful complaints about the paragard I had read online. All the excedrin I took didn't help. I called my doctor, and at her suggestion, switched to motrin.

The pain was much better at this point, mild if anything. The spotting continued for about a week and then that too went away. The next month, I started cramping and spotting a few days before I expected my period. I started taking motrin again (which totally got rid of the pain) and three days later the spotting was gone. I kept waiting for my period to start but it didn't. It turned out that those three days of spotting was actually my period. !!!

Before the Paragard, I had moderate to severe cramps and a relatively heavy, irregular period. Now, I have mild to moderate cramps and a really light, somewhat regular period.

I have a theory that only the people who ended up unhappy with their results when online to complain about it. Get the Paragard, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.
I just had mine Paragard inserted yesterday. My doctor recommended to go while on my period, so I was still spotting. I was definitely NOT prepared for the pain. I felt like a pinch on the cervix and then really really bad cramps while it was being inserted. I dont have children, so I can only imagine what giving birth is like after this...and all i can say is: DRUGS! lol. However, the procedure took less than a minute so pretty quick.
Afterwards I experienced some bad symptoms. I was cold yet sweating, terrible cramps and even salivating like i would vomit. I also felt like i would pass out.
I went home, popped in Advils and relaxed on the sofa with a heat pad. By evening I was a lot better and today I am feeling an occasional very very mild cramp. I am optimistic that I won't experience the weight gain and other symptoms mentioned above.
I was on bc pills for 12 years and I was ready to get rid of the extra hormones. So far, despite the pain during procedure, the IUD is totally worth it. I am very interested to finally see what my 'natural body' does.

I will keep you posted.
Hazel79- my story is very similar to yours...awful having to go back to using condoms but I could not stand having Paraguard anymore. I had my IUD removed last week after having it for almost 1 year. My gyn said he removes only one in every 15 he inserts.

My periods were long and extremely heavy... discharge throughout the month...sensation of having a yeast infection..l seriously felt too aware of my vagina all of the time!!

I have 3 children and I've been on the pill, had the patch and have had  side effects as well.
I had my paragard put in last October (2009) - Shortly thereafter I began to have an acute pain in my lower left abdomen. I thought it might be appendicitis. I went to ER and they took a bunch of tests. Confirmed it was not that or tubal pregnancy. They said it was a ruptured cyst on my cervix and that the pain would go away in a few days. A week later I was back at ER. The pain had gotten worse and was also in my right hip joint and pelvic bone. The lovely folks at ER said they had no idea, go see a an OBGYN. Without health insurance this proved to be a nightmare. I went to planned parenthood. They had no idea either, but assured me it could absolutely not be the IUD. The pain persisted. It came in waves really. A stabbing pain that would last for 20 minutes to a couple of hours. I finally found an OBGYN who would see me for under $800 (barely). She did an ultrasound, checked the placement of my strings and said the same thing everyone else did: "No idea. Good Luck. It's not the IUD."
The pain now has become so bad that it's completely debilitating. I have an abnormally high threshold for pain (being accident prone and uninsured my entire life), but this is worse than any broken bones, cut tendons, slipped discs I've ever experienced.
And then I got constipated for five days (never been constipated a day in my life) and the pain, if it's possible has gotten worse. I went back to ER (no choice in the matter). Aside from the doctor being a complete prig, he didn't want to know anything about my pain or the IUD.
However, I received two calls yesterday. One from an OBGYN in California and a doctor in Texas. Both said to get off the Paragard immediately. Apparently, on websites we the patients are not privy to, all of my symptoms are listed. As well as most of the symptoms listed on this site: Weight gain, pelvic, stomach and back pain. heavy bleeding, crazy irregular cycles, increased menstrual cramps. Occasional cases of Pelvic inflammatory disease.
If the Paragard works for you, then great. I really wished it worked for me (I'm hoping that as soon as I have it removed the pain will finally stop). Many women are like me, in that we have adverse reactions to the pill, the condom stinks (and seems awfully impersonal when you're married) and all other forms of birth control are hazardous because of our age or because we smoke. The IUD seemed the cure.  Perhaps it's not.
A little history, I was on the pill for over 15 years, had my babies and was looking for someone nonhormonal since I am over 35 and have a history of breast cancer.  I had my paragard inserted last month during my period.  This is the first real period on and it has been pretty bad.  My bleeding has been very heavy.  Soaking through a super bad about once a hour to two hours.  I have two small children I can not spend the day in the bathroom changing pads.  This is way gross - but I can sit on the toilet and fill it up with blood and large clots.  I have had two children and did not pass clots like this.  I bleed constantly and can feel gushes of blood when I move.  I love the idea of no hormones but I am sitting a timeline of 3 months and if things do not get better it is getting taken out and I will go back to the pill.    
I had the paragard inserted about 4 months ago. It was the most painful thing i have ever experienced. It felt like my organs were put through a meat grinder. I thought for sure they punctured my uterus or something. I cried for hours after due to the pain and the traumatizing procedure. I was soo terrified to ever get it removed because insertion was so painful. I bled severely for about a week, passing large clots and in horrible pain. Even when I'm not on my period, i had horrible cramps. The bleeding when i was on my period was so heavy, i would go through a super plus tampon every 15 min. The severe blood loss made me very weak and tired, not to mention the cramps. After two months, i could no longer wear tampons because it hurt so bad to remove them, it felt like it was pulling directly on my uterus. I had to use huge pads which i've never used in my life. I started to realize after 3 months that i was taking painkillers, muscle relaxers, and using ice packs/heat pads non stop. I began to think, wow this is all for birth control? I'd rather not have sex ever, than to go through this! I was taking 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day, just to take the edge off, i had 2 week long periods not to mention pain all month long. I went in to have it removed and they basically refused and wanted me to try it for a few more months. They gave me birth control pills to take everyday. I started thinking, this is crazy, i got on this to have no hormones and now i'm taking two forms of birth control to make one work? Needless to say, it got so much worse, i almost went into the ER twice, i couldnt eat, sleep, or breath due to the pain. I finally went back and basically forced them to take it out yesterday, i thought for sure they would find that they had punctured my uterus because, surely all this pain couldnt be just from the paragard, but it was! the removal was easy and the thing came right out! I guess some women just really cant handle it, their body will just keep rejecting it and going through hell until its out. I finally feel like myself again, and no pain!! I'm sorry but severe bleeding, excruciating pain, pain killers round the clock, 2 week periods without being able to use tampons, NOT WORTH IT!!!!!
I am 23 years old, never been pregnant or given birth. I have been on HBC, including low hormone, and all different combinations of HBC to reduce my crazy moods and erratic behaviors. I am now in a stable, long-term relationship and decided to consider a long-lasting, low (or no) hormone BC.

Last month, I went in for my ParaGard fitting (while near the end of my period, so I was not as dilated nor "lubricated") and was mortified by the amount of pain. No doctor, nurse practitioner, or medical assistant told me what kind of pain to expect. They tell you that you will experience "slight discomfort and cramping," but this felt like someone was doing an Irish jig on my uterus, while using my cervix to support themselves. I was blown away by the pain. My NP inserted the tenaculum to steady my cervix and tried for approximately 7-10 minutes to sound (measure) my uterus, which she was unable to do because my cervix was too small. She gave me an RX for Cytotech (used to prep for abortions as well) to dilate my cervix and told me to try again, perhaps when my period was heavier the following month.

Today: In preparation for my second-time scheduled IUC insertion, I took the Cytotech at 1AM (I was told to take 8-12 hrs before my appointment) and went in at 9AM for my IUC procedure (Note: I did experience slight nausea at 4AM after taking the Cytotech, which is a side effect).

I've been on my period for approximately 3 days, so my flow was slightly heavier compared to the first time. She proceeded as usual and slipped it right in. The tenaculum definitely pinched again, but I knew what to expect this time and was unphased by it. It's now 2PM and I am at work, sitting pretty. I bought Ibuprofin to help me throughout the day, but so far, I haven't had the need for it. I am absolutely thrilled that my body accepted the procedure and I will keep the forum updated on any changes/ complaints/ praises to my IUC.
I am a 26 year old mom of 2. I have had my Paragard since Sept. 09. At first I was excited to have a think free, hormone free, 10 year birth control. I read the little pamphlets....there wasn't any thing that would have changed my mind! I am allergic to latex and have never found a pill that could even me out. All natural is for me, no cramping, pimples or PMS, my periods are regular and last 4-5 days. Since haveing my IUD I have had a nasty vaginal discharge DAILY and the HEAVIEST periods of my life. Days before my period starts, I get horrible cramps and pain on my left side and my discharge gets thicker (EWeee). I have more pimples now than I did as a teenager. I have been to the Doctor and "everything looks fine." I researched side effects, and Paragard says nothing about my problems. Then I found this site, and EVERYONE has my problems. Time to remove the IUD and talk my Man into a visectomy. It's the least he could after I pushed out two of his babies.
I thought Paraguard was going to be amazing, I had it inserted Nov/09 and naively thought there would be little to no side effects since there were no hormones.  Here's what I have experienced:

Horrible cramps (they rival labor contractions, seriously active labor!)
Heavy and long periods (they last 10 days and the bleeding is crazy, I used to have light 3-4 day periods)
Severe heartburn (only had this during pregnancy)
Nausea and vomiting, chills (at first I thought I had the flu but it happens one night for the last three months on my period)
Gas (I had to buy Gas-X for the first time in my life)
Breakouts (my skin is normally clear)
Bloating pre-period (I go from a size 4 to a whale)
Depression (I swear it's related, it's been since insertion)
No sex drive (for all this I don't even feel like having sex, I feel like there is something wrong with me!!)

I'm on day 10 of my current period, I keep thinking it's over and it starts up again.  Last night I was throwing up every hour or so and today I am still feeling nauseous.  I came across this site and am amazed by how many of you have similar experiences, I wish I had done my research more thoroughly before I put this in my body.  I really feel it has ruined my life, I'm going to get this taken out ASAP!!
I've had the Paragard IUD for over a year.

I had the procedure done in the gynecologists office. The insertion process was painful, but it was over in about 15 minutes. I was told by my gyn that it was exceptionally painful for me because I never had children. I did have a vasovagal episode, which is never pleasant, but after almost passing out, I left the office with no residual pain.

My periods are noticeably heavier and crampier, but that's the only side effect that I've experienced with the Paragard IUD.

I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I don't have to worry about birth control for 10 years. Paragard was covered 100% by my insurance, so as far as the expense, that's another positive.

I highly recommend it as a worry-free, HORMONE-free, reversible form of birth control. For a little bit of pain in the beginning, it's worth it.

I had my paragard put in in September of 09.  It's been almost 6 months and the cramps are bad about 50-70% of the month, the period is 10-14 days of the month - it's ridiculous.  I am taking it out in the next month or two and will be thrilled to go back to 3-4 day periods with ZERO cramps.  Boyfriend will be happy too - this POS bc has put incredible strain on our relationship.  None of it was worth the trouble and most importantly, the stress.
i just had the paragard inserted yesterday and i have had two kids and i just want it does not matter if you have had kids or not because it hurt so bad and i have had two kids, and the cramps are so bad, and its like i can feel it when i walk and i love to work out but cant because of the cramps, i am going to try it out for a month and if the cramps continue i am going to get it removed
I just got a Paragard inserted 4 days ago. I had been using Nuva Ring for 2 years, which made my period very light but a week long, and wanted to quite hormones. Getting it in was a bit more intense than I thought (though the nurse I talked to a week before did warn me it's no picnic). Be sure to eat something before, and plan to be in bed most of the day. I removed my Nuva Ring the day before so I would just be staring my period the day before, which I think has helped-if I'm bleeding anyways, what's a little more. 1st day was very painful, 2nd not so bad, and now I do still think I can feel "something" inside me, but the sensation is lessening every day. More cramps than usual, but bleeding has been incredibly normal for me. I think I found a great ally in a homeopathic from Boirin-Whole Foods and health food stores sell their products in small blue vials-called Sabina 6C. Started taking the reccomended dose the day before my appointment and since I've had it inserted, and I swear, I thought I would be just a leaky faucet but I have not at all. I'm sure the BC hormones I still have in my body have helped lessen the flow, but I am definitely going to try the Sabina on my next period, when I'm sure my BC hormones will be gone, to see if I get the same results. Oh, I'm 30 and have no children. Hope this helps!
I had my 3rd and final child in July/2009 with the decision to use Paraguard as my route of birth control vs getting my tubes tied. The perminancy of terminating the ability to have anymore children would be hard for me to accept in the case I change my mind in the future. I am also sensitive to hormonal birth controls which is why I chose this option.

So far, my body has not felt the same which I thought would've been expected in the beginning while my body was to adjust to this foriegn object. But it never changes. The mentsrual cycle is much heavier. For me it starts out light.. gets really heavy.. and gets light again. The insertion was not very painful for me as I had read up on taking some IB Profin of some sort prior to having it done. Light spotting directly after with slight cramping was normal.

Now that I've had it for about 5 months, it was claimed that the first 3 months would be really a heavy cycle.. and yes.. it was. But even now like I said, it still does get heavy. Other side effects that I've experienced is uterine pain/cramping associated with gas and/or BM preparation. Large amounts of vaginal discharge (clear) prior to and after mentrual cycle. Mostly around ovulation. Your partner is likely to feel the strings. I recommend not getting them cut too short as it may continue that way (slight sharp pinch) for him during intercourse. When PG is inserted, the strings are still new so may be hard but softens as time goes on and go from facing downward to wrapping up around the side of your uterus. Again, why you shouldn't cut them so your partner will no longer feel them as much.

Sex drive can come and go with natural hormones as Paraguard doesn't have any to alter that but intercourse may not be as satisfying as the uterus is now tied closed and gives you the inability to have as much penetration to the back inner wall. Everyone is different per satisfaction though. Random stomach bloating comes and goes as well which to me is odd b/c I question if I am gaining weight or my body is just acting wierd again to the monthly changes. OB/GYN yearly visit justified that all is normal for the paraguard and it would be the new bodily changes to adjust to. I would love to have my body back, but it seems as though this is the best route for me right now. Best of luck to all Paraguard users. I hope my input was of help to some of you!!  
I had my ParaGard inserted 1/29/2010 and have experienced virtually nothing severe. I am MORE than happy with my decision and though some users have experienced severe changes, my PG has been excellent.

Some minor things were:

The night of insertion, I experienced VERY light discomfort (perhaps only noticeable because my NP told me I would be writhing in pain) but it was hardly anything. I have noticed sporadic bleeding, but it's SO light that it's only noticeable when I use the restroom. It never gets on my pants, etc. I do have some weird sensations in my lower belly, but it never lasts more than several seconds. It only catches me off-guard.

I've yet to have a period with this thing (Lord, help me) and am afraid after reading the reviews. I should be having it soon and will keep posted on the details.

As for now, I have ZERO REGRET and would recommend this to anyone. Even if you exhibit severe symptoms as many women have, you can take it out! PG is NOT permanent so if you hate it, then take it out and stop complaining.
I've had Paraguard in for 7 months going on 8. When I had mine inserted I had really bad cramping, I felt nauseous, and dizzy. I have a 10+ day monthly period. I get really moody and depressed. VERY heavy flow. Mucus every other day. Heavy cramping and headaches. (They feel like contractions) My friends say I act really weird right before my period. Is anyone else experiencing these mood swings? I didn't think they were possible because the Paraguard IUD has NO hormones.
paragard fell out yesterday while taking a shower. I have had it for almost 2 years and I've experienced heavy cramping and bleeding during my cycle. As a matter of fact I was cramping on my cycle in the shower yesterday when I experienced a sharp pain. I thought I was passing a blood clot (which I've experienced a lot since having this device) I noticed it was my paragard! All covered with old blood. Not to gross anyone out but the device was completely covered with thick, heavy old blood- So much so that it had become rubbery. I'm never getting it inserted again; just to think of that old blood sitting inside me for months on end.
Help! So I got the Paragard inserted about a month and a half ago. Horrible pain for several days, very expensive also. Then I went back and had her cut the strings because they were really long. Everything was fine and while we were having sex my boyfriend freaked out said it was super painful.

I went in today and my nurse told me what happened is that she had cut them a little too short and now they won't wrap around the cervix. She said if she cuts them any further they will basically always poke him. After talking to her we decided to wait another month to see if the strings soften up more. But seriously, is this always going to be an issue? I don't want to hurt my boyfriend.

Isn't there any medical liability that says if they screw it up they have to insert a new one? I have gone through a lot of pain and will be paying a lot of money as my insurance didn't cover anything. I'm so frustrated.
Hi!

I had to have my Paragard taken out because I had it for 10 years, and that's its expiration time.  Periods did get heavy immediately after insertion with slight increased cramps.  I loved it, though, because I suck at taking pills on a consistent basis.  Also didn't want synthetic hormones.  During the last few years of having it, I did gain significant weight, but I'm also getting older, so I'm not sure if it's just my body slowing down or a response to the IUD.  Guess we'll see what happens over the next month or so now that it's out.

I went to get another one inserted, I loved not thinking about BC so much, but couldn't have it placed in office because of tilt of uterus.  Am thinking about Mirena placed in operating room, but have checked out posts and side effects on that and am re-evaluating it.

Hope this posts helps you.  Good luck!
I had paragard for 10 years. It was removed in Jan 2009 and replace with Mirena. What a mistake!!! Insertion was only midly uncomfortable, but I've had 2 babies. I never had any side effects from the Paragard. I even lost weight! This Mirena has caused weight gain, terrible acne, heart palpitations and decreased sex drive. I hate it! Have an appt next week to go back to Paragard. BTW, I never experienced heavier or longer periods. The first month or so after insertion was a bit heavier and then returned to normal for the next 10 years.
I've had paragard in for about 11 months now n i knew as soon as they put it in that is was going to be hell so after the first month of pain and bleeding i begged my doctor to please take it out and she said they couldnt take it out that soon it would cause more pain,so 11months later and i've literally been bleeding since i got it put it,i might stop for a night then next morning it starts again,i have never had a problem with my periods or anything until i got this horrible thing put in me,also i get sharp pains that go all the way down my leg its the worst thing i ever did oh and as if its not bad enough i now have anemia,due to the loss of blood for 11months and recently was in the hospital with a rapid heartbeat (i forgot to mention im only 23,so shouldnt have any of these problems) which drs are sure its due to bleeding for 11months from this thing,i wouldnt tell anyone to get this i research every birth control before deciding on this one, i was fooled!!!
Don't you all realize your heavy periods are actually miscarriages? Yes, iud's cause you to miscarry early on, you get pregnant and
';. then it automatically aborts the embryo.by not allowing it to adhere to the uterine lining good enough.
I had a baby 8/25/09 and got ParaGard inserted on 11/13/09, so I've had it about 4 months now. It didn't hurt me too terribly after having it put in but my periods are so strange, light sometimes, real heavy sometimes, spotting here and there. I have had headaches but the worst is the weight gain. I had lost over 20 pounds after the baby and before the ParaGard, well I've gained it all back plus more. My friend said to really try to get the weight off and see if I can before getting it removed. The thing is that maybe I haven't been really trying hard  to get the weight off but I haven't changed anything to make me gain weight like this. I don't eat more than I used to and I am running around more than I used to and lifting a 20 lb. baby all the time and my arms are almost twice the size they were a few months ago, they are so fat and gross like never before, it HAS to be the ParaGard. I have an appointment to get it taken out later this month and I can't wait! They say it has no hormones so how does it make you gain the weight? I also have pimples which I've never had many in my whole life, I even had some grow in my scalp, disgusting! I have the discharge and have to wear pantiliners daily. I have no sex drive (have always had a good drive even after my other child) and I have horrible mood swings and tantrums, I even hit my husband?! That is not me at all. I have not been this miserable in a long time. I hate everything and this should be a happy time in my life with a new husband and baby. I don't know what we will do for birth control because I can't take the pill but there's got to be something other than this. ParaGard is ruining my life!!!
Hi my name is patricia and I've been on da
paragard for 7 months and I'm planning on getting it removed, I have da same problem myself I constantly have to wipe myself and its so annoying I hate it especially da heavy period, and very uncomfortable having intercourse I. Hate it so I'm taking out next week, but really I have da same problem as u and I'm soo gonna get this crap out
Hi, I've had paragard for 2 1/2 years. Had my daughter 08/10/07 and had the paragard inserted in September of 07. My periods have never been regular and I tracked my cycle extensively in order to get pregnant (took 8 months). I've also always been a heavy bleeder and "cramper" so maybe I'm just used to it. The first 6 months to 9 months on it is the hardest. I had the strangest experience 4 months in that I've never heard of anyone having. My period was really strong and I started passing blood clots, and I felt really uncomfortable like I had a tampon misplaced. I don't wear tampons so this is impossible. I went home and felt it and my cervix was being pushed halfway down into my vagina. I even had my fiance check it because he would often check my cervix for me at the end of my pregnancy so he knew more what it was supposed to feel like. About half an hour later I ended up passing a really large blood clot and went to the hospital. By the time I got there everything was back where it was supposed to be and I had an ultrasound and it showed no pregnancy. From that time I've still had heavy periods and heavy cramping, and extremely large blood clots at times. It seems like in the last 9 months this has gotten much better. My periods last about 7-9 days, heavy flow for 4 days. I can say that now I definately know when I'm ovulating (if I do, most of the time no) and my periods are still very far apart (35days) but are extremely regular. Overall if you can handle the hard changes in the beginning and don't do well with hormones I would recommend it. My body is horrible on hormones, before my daughter I was on the shot and gained 70LBS! Also don't listen to the person named sunfire above me, the paragaurd does not cause miscarriages. The copper kills sperm, also if a eggs happens to be fertilized it never has the chance to implant in your uterus. If it does implant it's usually in a place unsafe for a baby to grow anyways and would have miscarried. If an egg never implants it never has a chance to multiply it's cells more than a couple of times which means it would be almost the same size as a normal egg passed during periods. Just like people who can't have children not because they don't have eggs, but because there body doesn't accept pregnancy. This is pretty much what the IUD does is make the uterus unsuitable for pregnancy. Sorry for the long post.
Hi, I've had paragard for 2 1/2 years. Had my daughter 08/10/07 and had the paragard inserted in September of 07. My periods have never been regular and I tracked my cycle extensively in order to get pregnant (took 8 months). I've also always been a heavy bleeder and "cramper" so maybe I'm just used to it. The first 6 months to 9 months on it is the hardest. I had the strangest experience 4 months in that I've never heard of anyone having. My period was really strong and I started passing blood clots, and I felt really uncomfortable like I had a tampon misplaced. I don't wear tampons so this is impossible. I went home and felt it and my cervix was being pushed halfway down into my vagina. I even had my fiance check it because he would often check my cervix for me at the end of my pregnancy so he knew more what it was supposed to feel like. About half an hour later I ended up passing a really large blood clot and went to the hospital. By the time I got there everything was back where it was supposed to be and I had an ultrasound and it showed no pregnancy. From that time I've still had heavy periods and heavy cramping, and extremely large blood clots at times. It seems like in the last 9 months this has gotten much better. My periods last about 7-9 days, heavy flow for 4 days. I can say that now I definately know when I'm ovulating (if I do, most of the time no) and my periods are still very far apart (35days) but are extremely regular. Overall if you can handle the hard changes in the beginning and don't do well with hormones I would recommend it. My body is horrible on hormones, before my daughter I was on the shot and gained 70LBS! Also don't listen to the person named sunfire above me, the paragaurd does not cause miscarriages. The copper kills sperm, also if a eggs happens to be fertilized it never has the chance to implant in your uterus. If it does implant it's usually in a place unsafe for a baby to grow anyways and would have miscarried. If an egg never implants it never has a chance to multiply it's cells more than a couple of times which means it would be almost the same size as a normal egg passed during periods. Just like people who can't have children not because they don't have eggs, but because there body doesn't accept pregnancy. This is pretty much what the IUD does is make the uterus unsuitable for pregnancy. Sorry for the long post. Also I DO NOT recommend the paragard or any IUD to someone who has not had a child, not only is it more painful and has a higher risk of expulsion. But you also have a higher risk of uterine puncture, infection, and infertility with it.
I had the ParaGard put in about a week ago. The insertion was painful but I kind of expected it to feel uncomfortable since they are having to spreed the cervix to insert the IUD. I have never had kids so I am not accustomed to this type of pain. It pretty much felt like a lot of pressure and a mild cramp. My doctor was extra slow and careful. They use a tube...slide it through your cervix...and into your uterus.Then they slide the paragard through. I didn't really relize that until I got there, so just in case you wanted to know. My doctor was extra slow so and careful so it did feel like it took forever. I found that digging my elbows into the bed and zoning out really helped.lol  Plus I was excited that I didn't have to worrry about kids for the next 10 years so the pain was totally worth it. Afterwards I didn't really feel to much until I got to work and started moving stuff. I did start to lightly bleed and it felt like I had just started my period. Now I am finding that it is interfering with my daily life pretty bad. I work in retail and displays so I have to move and carry things. Just lifting anything over 5 pounds and bending over makes me feel so weak and in pain. Sometimes I will be doing great and out of no where I get these jolting pains almost like the pain I felt when it was first inserted. I just stop and they pass within 5 secs. I am kind of wondering if maybe it was inserted kind of in a wrong position to where it is stabbing or something. I am also suppose to be on my period by now but the doctor said I could finish out my birth control then shortly after I will start my period. I wonder if the birth control has anything to do with these random cramps. I found that on birth control I turned totally evil and couldn't tolerate anyone. Even now when I am in pain I am not exactly friendly and I just want to be left alone.I plan on waiting it out but I feel like I can not do anything anymore. I kind of feel crippled. My boyfriend (even though he's always done this) has to lift, push, and carry everything for me. I have always been very active and I am now afraid everytime I move to quickly.lol  I have never had bad cramps on my period but it feels like I am on my period everyday now. Though it is very nice not having to worry about condoms and to not have "I hope we don't get prego," on my mind when having sex. I do not want kids so I am hoping that after a month my body gets accustomed to it and hopefully it gets better. Everyones body is different.... so we will see
paragard was soooooo bad for me. horribley painful periods that almost never end (8-10 days) cramping and bloating ~ not to mention the way i felt the wk before.... hungry~ i'd eat and eat and eat.. then period wk ~ craving junk food and pop. while i had the paragard i would have one good wk per month. thats 7 days of feeling ok out of 31..... dnt use this birth control!
Well I just had my paragard taken out yesterday, almost a year to the date it was inserted.  I had heavier periods soon after that just got worse as the year went on.  I also have endometriosis and I am scheduled for a laparoscopy in June to take care of it. I have had horrible back aches and a terrible stabing pain in my right ovary area for months.  I actually think I could tell a difference with in 5 minutes of it being out. I told my husband I must be crazy, when we decided on this method, it told me to only expect heavier periods for a time.  I have bleeding alot, recently almost all the time and in pain so much that I have lost my appetite and am losing weight.  I really curious to wait it out for a bit and see if it is indeed my endometriosis or if it was the paragard.  After reading these postings, I really think it may have been the paragard.  We will see... anybody else have endometriosis and the paragard or can relate?  
do not get it inserted! it is very painfull causes so many problems! i have had it for over 2 years and i have had the worst periods and the mucus is horrible as well... the cramps never stop! i have been hospitalized more in the past 2 years than i have ever seen the doctor in my life. the migrains are horrible and the sensation when you have sex is barely there at all. and i also have had a miscarrage (miscarriage) while i had it in and i never knew it till it caused more problems for me.i have also had alot of kidney problems and no prior history of it before i got the para gaurd. the para gaurd also came out on its own and was covered in mucus and blood. i have had alot of health issues while i had the para gaurd that i would have never had if inever got it. for those of you that haven't had any problems, your very lucky! for the rest of us i agree with all of the bad things about it! also my doctor had warned me that it could cause such severe problems that i may never be able to have another child again. so for those of you that are thinking of getting it, my advise to you is dont because there are so many problems with having it.
I just got the Paragard 6 days ago and so far I have been having the brown mucus discharge. My doctor said that it is nothing to worry about and that my body was just adjusting to the foreign object placed in the body. Perhaps, but I see people state that the the mucus is constant. You feel gross with the gooey disharge all the time. I hope this stops. I will give it a couple of weeks to adjust, if no changes, I will discuss further with my doctor. My hubby also said that he can feel the Paragard dioing sex. I haven't experienced my period yet, but I hope its not too bad. Oh I do have a little pain on my right side, I don't know if that is related though. If I have major problems, I will get my tubes tied...(again)
I have had the Paraguard for over three years and have had no problems, as identified above.  It sounds like the effects are really case by case and you have to decide what is right for you.  I will say, my periods have changed.  Although they are regular, I used to bleed for 3-4 days (w/o BC), now I spot for about three days, have a normal period for 2-3 days and spot for a few more days.  My cramps have not changed, if anything I have them less.  Also, many of you talk about the pain when inserted and I wonder if your doctor is rushing through or if you haven’t had kids.  It is my understanding that the pain is lessened if you have had kids, as the uterus is softer.   The doctor needs to take his/her time when inserting and has to get it in just the right place.  Some women cannot have IUDs because of a tilted or misshapen uterus.  When a doctor tries to rush, this causes pain.  It should not be that painful.  Take some aspirin before going to the doctor and expect some bleeding afterward, you have a foreign object in your body.  
I just recently had paragard inserted about a week now. I orginally wanted mirena (just to have no menses) but my gyno told me about the pros of paragard. Longer lasting, no hormones. I usually flowed about 3 days prior to paragard, now it like 5, so not that bad. I havent had any cramps except for the insertion process. But other than that nothing too extreme. and fyi i read 10 times more bad stuff about mirena than i have about paragard! My mom, grandma, and coworkers have all used paragard and no bad reports from them either, I would suggest talking to you gyno and see what is the best fit for you(no pun intended) also you tube paragard, lots of info on there as well! good luck!
I am also getting my paragard removed.  I have had it for 3 years now and had the typical VERY HEAVY periods (previously my period was about five days, only needed normal pads - now I wear overnight during the day and change them out many times and it lasts around 10 days).  

For whatever reason the paragard seems tied up with estrogen.  Maybe the egg does get fertilized and then 'dumped' -- I don't know -- but I have a ton of estrogen now and that makes a person gain weight in unpleasant places, gave me IBS and a whole host of really terrible symptoms.  

It probably works fine for some people but definitely not for me.  I'm sensitive to hormones too and can't take BC pills, maybe it has to do with that sensitivity that makes Paragard and the estrogen elevation a problem.
I have had the  paragard now for about 7 months I was in lots of pain when inserted fallowing long lasting periods and cramps ..... doc said to wait it out so i have and now i feel horrible I have lost a lot of hair that everyone was complaining about it being everywhere .... and I have been having strange sever pain in the top of my feet and in my hands ... I mean all the lil bones in the top of my feet can hurt so bad i can't walk right away when i get up .... and my hands hurt and feel weak ..... I have also been trying to loos wait and not been able to no matter what ...... I see that there are  a lot of the same things being said but anyone have other bone pain or major hair loss
I also have very severe pain in my right foot i never would have put it in correlation to the peragaurd  until you mentioned it. i had the peragaurd inserted in February 2010 had bad cramps nonstop bleeding and migraines to boot. cramps are comparable to after birth pains and have been taking loitab rotating ibuprofen around the clock if not for cramps to deal with foot and hand pain that is either deep muscle pain or bone pain. I do not want to throw away the 500 dollars we spent but i would rather get fixed
This is my first time checking this site but ladies do I feel validated! One of my dear friends has Paragard and highly recommended it.  Because of her success and constant taunting about my 'counting days' birth control method, I decided to emancipate myself from all of those worries.  Great! so I thought.  I had Paragard inserted in late January and had it removed TODAY!  I'm in bed still cramping but feeling mentally strong.  My femur  no longer aches and the cramping on my right ovary is subsiding.  Wow.  Each month I bled like I did when I was an adolescent.  Today was day 5 of my cycle and it seemed as if it was day 2 - bleeding, cramping, immobilizing, felt faint, nausea.  These are symptoms I've had for the past 4 months during my cycle.  After I was finally able to get up from the toilet this morning after the cervical cramping and profuse bleeding, I told myself I had to get checked.  The day before I'd gotten on the scale and muttered "what the hell..." my weight - it kept fluctuating and I exercise at least 4 times a week - spinning, running 5-6 miles.  Didn't make any sense.  Well my ob/gyn finished my words once he came into the room.  He said something like, 'oh, your among the few who..."  Then he asked what I was going to do to which I replied, "go back to counting with pleasure."  My husband also said he felt the string.  I'm six weeks shy of 45 and have two wonderful kids and desire NO MORE. :-)  and I don't hit the sheets everyday so I'm content with abstaining during days 10-15 even though my dear friend will tease me and say 'you know you're gonna fool around and be a senior citizen with kids in primary school playing sex roulet."  The pain was just too much and my weight has to be right.  To each her own - Paragard just wasn't right for me.WHEW!
Hello, I know I am a few years behind here, but I have had my paragard for 3 months. I have 4 children and decided on this b/c there is no hormones and I have a family history of breast and cervial cancer. I have had cramping a lot. My periods vary, last month light and this month a down pour. Since I had it put in I also have a steading discharge. I now wear panty liners everyday. But even after all this I am happy with it. To me the good out ways the bad so far.  I do have to say about the cramping it is getting better. I guess my body is getting used to it more and more.  Its a different choice for everyone. The best advice I can give is research the facts, way your choices, and figure out what you want. Most of the side effects I have are listed on the web site. Hope this helps :)
i had paragard inserted in may 2010. i have not experienced a period yet, an after reading the above statements, i am terrified to have one! i have 3 children, all boys, at the age of 20. i wanted to get my tubes tied, but in the state of tennessee you have to be 21. i also can not take hormones due to a blood disorder. so paragard was the best option for me.
after having it inserted, i felt severe cramps at first. they lasted for about 2-3 hours. i also had bleeding for about a week. also on the way home, my left leg felt kind of numb. ive had it for almost a month, so im guessing menstrual cycle is on its way. im dreading it. i am hoping that it goes smoothly.
right now though, i have some weird side affects. i feel nauseous a lot. i dont know if this is normal. also, i tried to see if i could feel the strings, and i could not. can you only feel them when you are menstruating?  i dont know but i am super freaked out! i keep wondering if it has dislodged inside my body! and the Lord knows that i do not want anymore kids right now!
hope someone can be of help! thanks!
I had the mirena inserted in November of 2004.  I just went and had the mirena replaced with paragard because it is a longer and horomone free option.  I was extremely pleased with the mirena.  The only problem I had with it was that I gained a little weight.  I have had the paragard in for a week and a half and at insertion, it was extremely painful (I was not on my period).  After insertion, I had awful cramping for several days that was so bad no kind of pain meds could take the edge off.  Then all at once, it seemed to get better... For about 2 days, then I got this wierd bump on my clit. I have been in a monogamus relationship for about 7 years and unless my husband's been creepin.... It has to have something to do with this Paragard! (It went away after 2 days... Wierd!)  Anyway, I had stopped bleeding and it was more of a light pink discharge.  Then, I all of a sudden started cramping and bleeding again today.  I am technically not due for my period until the 15th of June so I am not sure if this is an early pd or what the hell is going on.  I never had any problems like this with the mirena.  I had regular periods, light cramping at best, and I hardly even noticed it was there.  This paragard, however, is a little ridiculous! I am trying to remember how it was when I got my mirena inserted but I am pretty sure that none of this happened...
i got the paragard inserted about 3 weeks ago. yes, it was very painful when they put it in.i had to sit there on the table for a minute cause i thought i would pass out. and as i was walking out i got these really bad cramps, those cramps lasted for a few hours. i dont know how people are gaining weight from this, ts just copper. i havent had any cravings, i still eat the same way i did before. but i have noticed a lot more blood and mucus then normal. im even spotting when im not on my period. sometimes i think i feel it when i move around, like little cramping where i think it is. i had my period that day after they put it in and ive already started my next period like 4 days ago, and it doesnt look like its going away yet. my fiance is still in iraq so im not sure if he will feel it. but so far for me, id say its better then remembering a pill everyday. and it is way better then that shot that lasts for 3 months, ugh.. i gained alot of weight from that. but paragard is working for me so far.
I had the paragard inserted on the second day of my period Thursday June 10th around 2:30p.m.  No children, so I had to take a pill that dilates my cervix.  Upon insertion, I expected the worse, however, the pain was not as bad as I expected. At 2a.m. I was in so much pain that it brought me to tears.  I took 2 ibuprophens and was finally able to go back to sleep a little after 3a.m. Worked all day the next day after taking 3 ibuprophens that morning, then about 4:30p.m. the pain kicked in with a vengence. I called the doctor to find out if this was normal telling the nurse that I was doubled over.  The doctor ordered me to go have an ultrasound immediately to make sure the paragard was in place correctly since the pain that I was describing was "not normal." Went to have the ultrasound done (which by the way the poor tech could not immediately do, because I was in so much pain I was crying and  could not lay down right away to let her proceed,) to find out that the top of paragard is touching my uterus muscle by a milimeter which is equilvalent to the tip of a ball point pen (not much at all.) The on call Dr. said that it should correct itself naturally or said that my Dr. could wiggle it into place but warned that since it is only touching a milimeter that doing the latter could cause it preforate which would be bad. She then called me in a rx for tylenol #3 and suggested that I give it until the weekend to see if the pain subsides.  If it does not, her suggestion is that I go in next week and have it removed. By the way, the type of insurance that I have calls for me to have a $3000 deductible, before the insurance will pay a dime. The paragard was $450 and the ultrasound bill will probably be around a $1000 all out of pocket. I will try to tough it out longer than the weekend, since I paid so much money, am newly married, can not do bc and condoms are not enjoyable. However, I refuse to live on pain medication and be miserable.  I do feel I owe it to myself to at least give it a couple of months to see if I begin to adjust to it. My cousin has had one for 3 years after the birth of her first child and has had no issues what so ever. Good Luck to me, and to all of you as well.

I just got Paragard put in 4 days ago. It was extremely painful, much more then I ever thought that it would be. I have had alot of bleeding, which I think is normal from what I read about before getting the procedure done.   I did a self check and could not find the threads are they suppose to be visible?  
I just had the Paragard put in 4 days ago and i did a self test yesterday and could not find the threads? Is that uncommon? For the first time  
This is the WORST decision I ever made! Had the Paragard inserted 3 days ago and am experiencing TERRIBLE cramps- almost as bad as contractions. AND, I was at the tail end of my period and am bleeding heaving again and have bloated out like I am 2 moths pregnant! I am removing this ASAP- I do not recommend- what a wast of money.
Your comment about feeling free....I so know that feeling! I've only had mine in for 9 days. When I was checking out at the Dr. office the front desk staff were laughing because I was so giddy about having this done. I felt like a kid that just spent hundreds of dollars at a toy store! It wasn't the most pleasant experience but not half as bad as child birth. Been through that 3 times, different experience with each.
My only concern is that I have been feeling some tenderness in the lower abdominal area. Even had to stop my Yoga this morning because I felt I was "pushing it" too much. Hoping this will go away. Not concerned about the heavy periods as mine have always been heavy.
My "upside" to all of this is that #1) no more babies, 3 is plenty enough and #2) no hormones. As I am started my pre-menopause at a young age of 38 and have even started having PMDD, I felt the hormones would make it worse.
I feel FREE and ready to start having a more relaxed sex life with my husband of 18 years!!!!  YOO-HOO!
Hi Everyone! I am 23 years old and have never been pregnant. I recently decided to get the Paragard because of it's low-maintenance and no hormones. I had my Paragard inserted this past Thursday and I have to say, I am not a fan of pain, so the insertion was challenging (nothing that made me dizzy though). I am still freaked out about the idea of having something foreign in my body, but I have to admit the overall experience hasn't been bad. The first few days I had mild cramping, but nothing unbearable. I am still spotting (which was to be expected). I am remaining very observant and cautious of how my body is reacting (ie. sharp pains, heavy bleeding, fever). So far, so good. I have to say I am afraid of how my first period will be, but only time will tell. I will update you all on my progress, but if it continues to go smoothly, I am happy with my decision.
I had the paraguard put in shortly after I had my daughter( 3/07). I had issues with hormones so like most of you I wanted something that I didint need to remember to take everyday. Before that I was on the patch for 8 years and got off of that due to extreme mgraines,  Any way as many of you stated the insertion was painful,but for me bareable. Until I got my first period ... The pain was so unbearble that I called my doctor and asked her whats happening and like everyone elses doctors she told me to ride it out.  After that the pain seemed ok I guess for the first 6 months then all of a sudden the cramps came back this time so severe that I had to call out from work. My periods were always 5-7 days before the paraguard after the paraguard they were 10-11 days. By the time I got off my period it seemed like I was getting ready to start all over again. I swear everytime I turned around I was always bleeding, This is all in my first year. The second year much of the same except for an added bonus I started to have bowel issues and my doctor kept saying the same thing oh that has nothing to do with the paraguard yeah ok. I also started to gain weight I was always a size 1-2 even after my 2 kids once I had this in place I jump up to a size 5-6 which still isnt bad but if your not used to it your like what is this. OK now for year 3 add all the cramps,IBS, and weight gain and have them reoccur 4x's in less than 6 month. One of the previous posters mentioned it feels like contractions shes100%correct thats exaxtly what they feel like. Anyway I finally took it out and I had 30days of nonstop bleeding my doctor says that is was a blood clot that passed great. And once that finally passed I got a monster yeast infection by bodys ph level was completely thrown off. Luckly for me my husband said after all the crap that you went through for me I will do something for you ...He got a vesectomy (vasectomy),  Good luck to the rest of you ...Piece of advice if the pain gets worse take it out dont wait as long as i did;
Ouch!  That sounds dreadful...I have to admit, I am TERRIFIED to get my first period but there are also women who claim that they didn't experience anything nearly as painful and irritating as what you described. I really believe your body reacts like it wants to, and it truly depends on the woman. Hopefully the device will become one with my body! If not, I WANT IT GONE, lol. Thanks for sharing.
I just got mines inserted last Thursday, it was all of sudden also, if I must say that I regret that I didn't have the time to think about it. I got married not too long ago, my husband is in the Navy so we're currently living on different countries, but in about 2 weeks I'll be finally moving with him, so obviously we're not ready for a baby yet. So on Thursday I called my doctor for a mini phone orientation about some IUD's, since I'm not good with pills, so the weirdest thing that he said was that he only inserts the IUD when the women is on her period, because it's the only way he can prove that the women is not pregnant, AND he says it "hurts" less while women is on her period (not true, still hurts)... I was very disgusted by this, but I had no time, since I leave in 2 weeks and the funny thing is that I was on my fourth day of period the moment I made the call, so he said to stop by his office to get the device inserted right away, so I did, he didn't even gave me a brochure about the device, talked to me about what anti-conception might be right for me, nothing he just explained how the device works while he was inserting it... It was the most painful experience EVER!!! I was on my period during the insertion, I usually have cramps during the first 2 days of my period, and my period usually finishes on the 5th day, right now it's my 8th day of period... thanks to the paragard... though the cramps did stop on the 6th day of period (meaning the 3rd day of having the paragard), but the bleeding did increase which is not normal for me to last that long. The doctor said it's practically normal for the bleeding to increase during the first months since my body is getting used to the device, but non-the-less it's uncomfortable to be on my period for so long, though right now I'm not bleeding as heavy as I did the first 2 days of the insertion but still. As for my husband well we haven't exactly tried it yet, I just have it on... he's a bit scared of what is to be expected of this IUD, and so am I. As I keep reading about the replies of the cramps, and the painful periods, that scares me a bit, I just hope it's not that bad, because if it is, it's coming out for sure! And if in the future I do decide to take it out, I'll consider Mirena or hormones which I'm trying to avoid, but it'll be my last resort...
I had my paragard inserted early July and it did hurt really bad. I have had mirena before but had that taken because it made me have bad acne so I didn't think it would very bad but it did but it was only 5 minutes. The rest of the day I had really bad cramps and then it was over. I bled for a couple days after but I took ibeprofen (sorry if I mispelled) and it went away after 4 days. You bleed alot because your uterus realized theres a foreign object and it becomes irritated but the ibeprofen helps believe me!! Anyway I have had no problems so far started my period when I was supposed to have had some cramps but its a normal part of womanhood. I love my paragard. I have tried everything nuvaring, every birthcontrol pill, mirena, and i didn't like any of them but I love this. I take a lot of medication already for a number of things and feels great knowing at least I'm not taking extra hormones! Try it you'll love it.
I had the paraguard inserted 2/20/2010 and by july of 2010 I was pregnant?  How effective is this again? I have 4 children already and I am 26.  I thought getting the paraguard would be an effective alternative for getting my tubs tiedd, but I was wrong.  This was the worst deceison I have ever made.  I regret this deeply.  I had an abortion alreadyt and I am not proud of it I don't think that I can handle another one, so I guess I am having another baby.
After reading these post I realize that alot of the symptoms I've been devoloping over the years may be due to my paraguard as I thought. I got mine put in after I had my daughter in 2008, so it's been a lil over 2 years now. The insertion of it wasn't too bad for me. But I usually don't cramp and my periods use to last 3 days and be super light. Now I have cramps even when I'm not on my period and my periods last 5 days or more and are really heavy, I go through about 8 to 10 tampons a day. The thick mucus that just keeps on coming (I call them vagi boogers), all day every day. The past 6 months, sex hasn't been great at all... just like another post said, I can't feel my husband during intercourse anymore. Since getting paraguard my sexual desire has gradually decreased to almost zero!! And lately I've been getting dizzy spells and sharp pains through out my body and now I'm wondering if thats because of the paraguard too?

I love the freedom paraguard gives me, because me and birth control pills don't get along too well, I always forget to take them or can't remember if I took them. The other bc's just didn't seem right for me. I think its time I give the paraguard a break though. My mother told me that she use to have problems with her IUD and a holistic doctor told her that the cause of all her problems were due to the fact that, as women, we are only supposed to be on bc for about 2 yrs and then give our bodies a rest. BC cause an un-natural state to occur in our bodies and to go long periods of time like that isn't good for us. So, I'm going to give my body a rest... go back to the ole condom method. If I get pregnant, oh well... it'll be about a year sooner than we planned to have our next child but... hey, you gotta roll with the punches. Better than feeling like crap.
after reading that some of my syptoms (symptoms) are comfirmed a after effect of the paragard. i now know what to tell my doctor when i visit next week.ive had the most sloppy and unpredictable cyles sice its been in.right now im 5wks into a very heavy and sloppy cycle.thinking maybe if i switch to the mirena. have heard too much bad talk about them.
I have had mine for about 3 and a half months and of that time I have had maybe 2 weeks of not bleeding. I have be looking and looking online for some information and stories from others with paragard too and Im so happy I found this site!! I will be showing my husband all these stories and hopefully having mine removed soon. Thanks to all of yall for sharing your expericeces now I know im not alone on this!
I've had Paraguard for 5 years now. My husband and I wish to have another child now so I am having it removed next month. There is no time line for becoming pregnant after its removal so we are pretty happy about that.

Regarding issues with Paraguard, I had feminine itch one month after insertion but nothing else after that. It was very convenient for us.
I had my papaguard put in Feb 2nd of this year.  For the past few months I have had "normal" periods, well like I was a teenager again and things seemed to be great.  I started my period July 24th of last month and it is now August 16th and I am still bleeding.  I am so tired and have no other symptoms.  Went to my Dr today who is ruling  out BV but it makes no sense bc I have no discharge or odor or pain and no other sexual partners for neither of us.  She says if BV comes back neg then we are looking at endometreosis and I would need to do  D&C.  I am getting married at the end of Sept, I don't think I can handle this!!!!!
omg i got the paragard and have had it for awhile now insertion was soo painful now im having the worst cramps ive ever had and breaking out wtf!not too mention i was an emotional wreck before my period i have no idea whats going on but ouchhh!!!this lil thing is a big pain in my a$*
I am 25 and just had my 3rd child two months ago. I had Paragard inserted last week because I got pregnant this time around while on the pill and this was so much more assurance plus im breastfeeding and it is hormone free. Insertion was definately uncomfortable but nothing as bad as child birth. It lasted about 5 to 10 mins and then when i got off the table I felt like i was going to pass out. I got really dizzy and broke out in a cold sweat. I felt so weak! When I got home I could barely stand and had to stay in bed the rest of the day because of the horrible cramps. My hubby got me some Midol and it worked pretty good. The bad cramps continued but hurt less the next day and now I can still feel mild cramping down there and like others I have that gross mucous discharge coming out like crazy. Its only been a week so its not too bad. Ive always had heavy periods so thats not such a big thing for me but I hope this cramping goes away!
Hi I had my son in March of 2010 and I had paragaurd inserted in April 2010. I had one period after I had him which was normal but since the day I had it put in I have been bleeding. There has not been one day that I have not bled. I also get intermittent cramping like if I move the wrong way and after riding horses I get farely bad cramps. Since about 1 month after I also wake up in the morning with terrible pain on the tops of my feet that usually lasts a few hours in the morning and it hurts real bad to walk. My face keeps breaking out too. I have not noticed any weight gain though. My biggest worry is the bleeding. Has anyone else experienced constant bleeding too? Did it ever go away or did you have it removed?
I think sooOoo many ppl up here is exaggerating about the paragard I had one put in only an hour ago and dont feel anything....im really good wit pain light periods wit no cramping im praying it stays that way da doc said it should if anything it should get lighter not heavier..... guess I just have to wait and see......
Thak you all, it has been helpful to read all your comments.  Here is my experience with the Paragard.
I had the ParaGard placed in March of this year.  Prior to that I had been taking birthcontrol pills for the last 15+ years.  Due to my monthly migrains and trying several different bc pills, my OB suggested  Paragard since it is hormone free.  Migrains are less frequent but I am having other problems.....

I don't think I like it too much due to increased cramping, heavier periods (I required a tampon and a pad), and have had some major premenstral syndrom (syndrome) issues (PMDD).  The birthcontrol pills helped to keep the PMDD at bay. I suspect that I would have the problems anyway WITHOUT the IUD.  I had been on bc pills so long that I forgot what it was like to not take the hormones....I wish my OB prepared me better for this change.

So now I don't know what my next course of action will be.  Probably try an anit-depressant for now, keep the Paragard a little longer.  Maybe my husband can get a vasectomy in the near future since we don't want anymore children.

Hello To all Paragard users

I had my paragard put in on Sept.7th painful!!! yes but I am a trooper mother of 2 but last baby in 2002 ... going through a divorce from husband ( who had vasetomy for me in 2002) so I hadn't had to be on anything for years, but i wanted a birth control just in case .

I have been bleeding everyday  since. I am tried the cramps are horrible , I think my cycle is on cuz I am flowing so heavy and the blood clots are even in the  tub.. Not sure if I did the right thing if this bleeding doesn't stop I will be on my way to doc for removal I rather just go 100% normal instead of this !!!!
Paragard is a great iud I had one for almost 4 years and just got it taken out since I am trying one more time for a boy I have 3 girls. Never had any side effects with it. The only thing that it did to me was I would have a period one month then miss another for 2 months then have another one. My dr said it was normal for that to happen. I did cramp more but not to bad. I really liked the para grad it is a great birth control.I would recommend the paragard to anyone that wants a good birth control and wants more kids in the future.  Hope that helps out.
f
Ok, I apolgize for the post, I was trying to figure out how to use this site.

Nonetheless, I currently have a Mirena, and thought that I never had any side effects with it til here recently. I had it inserted in Feb. 2007 during the first period after having my daughter. I bled for I know 3 months straight. It did NOT let up any. Since then, i thought I loved it. While pregnant with my daughter I gained a massive 100lbs. Granted, Ive always been a larger built woman, but i was able to carry weight well. Prior to getting pregnant I weighed in at 190. The day I gave birth to her I weighed 284. (insane right) Well, when my daughter was a year old, I had dropped back down to 212. ( I was content, everyone assumed I weighed no more than 150lbs due to the way I carry weight) Here in the past, I dunno... 2 years Ive regained every lbs I gained at the day of delivery with my daughter. My husband and I have been talking about having another child but my body cant handle another 100lbs weight gain, so Ive been trying to lose weight again (I chalked up the weight gain to being happy and content with my husband and not caring) Well, for the past 4 months, Ive all sodas out of my diet, I do not eat over 1400 calories a day and do minimal exercise as well as cut out all but good carbs. In 4 months Ive lost 3 (thats right the number 3) pounds with the help of adipex diet pill. Thinking that this was just beyond insane... to lose no weight, I began to research and found that I wasnt the only person to gain excessive weight, everyone I read about gained 20lbs in the first year. Now, that Ive had my IUD for 4 yrs Im assuming Im gained 20lbs a year. With that said, i do NOT recommend the mirena to ANYONE. I called my OB today and theyre calling me back tomorrow about removing the Mirena and having the no hormone Para Gaurd put in, Im just hoping I can drop this horrible weight Ive gained with this IUD.
My NP inserted my Paragard IUD in April, three months after I had my second child.  The insertion was only mildly uncomfortable, but I need to mention that I have a high tolerance for pain (delivered both babies without any pain medications).  My NP has done the procedure 100's of times, so her experience may be relevant.  Since April, I had 3 periods which were definitely heavier and crampier. I switched to Super Plus OB tampons from the regular size.  My periods so far have also been about two days longer.  My husband can feel the strings and I'm thinking about having them cut shorter a little down the road.  I do feel faint from time to time, which is very unusual for me and never happened before the Paragard.  Thanks to all you women who shared your experience. Infromation is power.
I had the paraguard inserted today I have cramping but nothing severe. I work for a gyn and every patient that has the paraguard has good things to say which is why I decided to put it in. The gyn that I work for did say that I will prob have heavier periods and cramping during my cycle but if you ask me I think the peace of mind is worth it. I have a 4 year old son and we will prob have another in around 2 years and I like knowing that I can take it out and get pregnany right away .
I'm 36, just had Paragard put in one year ago 6 weeks after the birth of my second child (both were C-section).  So the insertion was a breeze.  I took a good dose of naxoproxen before the procedure and had no pain during or after.  My OBGYN is the best, very experienced and I had no qualms trusting him to not screw it up.  I believe that an inexperienced doctor can be a big reason for painful insertion.

Anyway, as to my report card for the past year... regarding my periods, cramps, bloating and acne, I feel like I've taken a time machine back to age 13.  Ridiculous.  Long, heavy periods, and a few days the cramps felt like the beginning of labor.  This week I've had cramps for 4 days straight and my period's not due for another 2 weeks.  The heavy, nasty discharge that people are mentioning I get about 4 times a month or so.  I also have a raging angry PMS that rears its head at my poor children or myself unexpectedly.  I don't like that at all.  I have to remove myself from them and collect myself.  A little-known effect of copper increase in your system is craving for chocolate, and I have been known to sit at the kitchen counter and eat a quarter of a bag of chocolate chips at one time on this Paragard (before I knew that fact).  I eat chocolate every day like it's required medicine.  But seriously, what has finally dawned on me in the past month is that I must have anemia due to the copper reacting with my body.  Sure, I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 yr old and I'm still nursing the little one, plus I run my own business and care for the kids full time.  But to feel THIS physically spacey/drunk and absolutely drained during all waking hours is just getting completely dysfunctional.  I started taking iron pills and that seems to help a little, so that's a clue.  I eat healthy and I take the kids out for exercise every day.  I really think I need to get tested for anemia. All I ever want to do is crawl into bed, and when I do, I pass out immediately, even though I normally get 6-8 hours of sleep/night plus three naps a week.

On the plus side, I've been able to nurse my son now for almost 13 months, whereas I ran out of milk for my daughter at 6 months due to being on the mini pill.  That was the main reason I chose Paragard, and it worked beautifully.  I also shed my 30 pregnancy pounds with no effort, so weight gain hasn't been a problem.  I haven't had problems with depression, and my sex drive is now AWESOME, I can physically feel lust for my husband at any time, which has been fun!  One caveat: I never told my husband about the strings of Paragard, and he has never said anything about feeling them or feeling anything weird.  It may be best not to go into detail about the mechanics with your sig. other ;-)  

However, all things considered I miss the pill Orthtricyclin very much, which I was on for 10 years before deciding to get pregnant four years ago.  I never had adverse side effects, I had plenty of energy, and my skin was gorgeously clear.  (My sister, on the other hand, spent 10 years and visits to every kind of specialist to find out that the cause of her migraines was the pill.)  I'm thinking it may be time to wean my son and get my body back once and for all.  Just dragging myself through the molasses of anemia fatigue every day like this is miserable.  Probably going to have the Paragard removed and go back on the pill.
Just want to put alot of minds at ease - Paragard is not all evil and everyone is different. Just like with any method of BC, you just don't know until you try it!

So, I've tried it all: pills, ring, patch, no shots though, and I literally got pregnant on ALL those methods. Seriously, pregnant each time. However, b/c I was on BC, only one pregnancy was successful, and with that one, I had to have a tube/ovary removed. That was when I said, that's it, either I get something that is really going to work, or I'm done having sex (which we all know isn't realistic).

So, after researching, I decided on Paragard for a number of reasons: longevity, lack of hormones, little/no action required of me, etc. I've had only one birth, vaginally, but after all my previous issues I was less concerned about the pain, and more concerned about yet another pregnancy or surgery or awful experience as a result of NOT being on BC.

So, I decided, read all the forums (there's some awful stuff out there, and no, "Sunfire" is not correct in that statement. Talk to your OBGYN) and I still decided to get it. I even took my daughter in with me b/c, as I am a mother, I had to fit this appt into my usual daily tasks. That was the good thing, it doesn't take long, the recovery is "supposed' to be short, no time off work, etc. Women w/full lives can do this and keep it moving. Insertion hurt, yes. To me, it wasn't as painful as childbirth w/an epideral, and since I read the reviews, I knew to take TWO Ibuprofen prior to my appt. I breathed deeply, kind-of like labor, and was actually okay. I wouldn't call it excrutiating. Just painfully uncomfortable. I've had papsmears that hurt just as much.

Now, AFTER, insertion, the hell began. I was a little crampy, a little uncomfortable, but okay. However, about a week later, the most ridiculous, slimiest, horrific vaginal infection I ever had. And, I waited too long to do anything about it b/c I didn't want to have an infection and thought that I could flush my system of any junk and just let the "flow" of the body flush it out. WRONG. Had I done something on day 1, it wouldn't have been an issue. I got that friggin gel insert cream, and was good by day 2-3. After that. I noticed my cycle was lighter. A little cramping, a little bleeing, no big deal. I logged all of the info just in case, and kept moving. Next mth, period/cramping, no big deal. Logged it, kept moving. 21 days later period/cramping, etc. etc. My cycle has regulated, my BC is working fine, and I'm a happy camper.

I check for my strings after every period, just b/c they say you should. I've felt them each time except for this last time. I was afraid and 2 days from losing my insurance, so I hightailed it to the OBGYN, who confirmed it's still there, but has molded to the side walls as it should and that's why I couldn't find it for all the digging in the world. She did say my strings were long, but maybe they've always been this long, I don't know. I do have some cramping, but she also said that could be normal, since I haven't been logging that type of stuff. She recommends an ultrasound to see where it is and make sure it isn't trying to fall out, however, by then my insurance is gonna be expired so I'm not gonig. If it falls out, it is what it is. I'll probably have it reinserted. If in a few days I can feel the strings, and they feel "normal" the way I've felt them before, I'll keep it moving. Having seen her and knowing I don't have an infection, it's still in, and I'm not pregnant (today), I'm fine w/waiting to see what will happen.

In the end, I'm fine with it. Glad to not have to worry about BC. Okay w/the side affects, and do NOT want to take it out or have it fall out. Staying positive and staying w/Paragard. Sorry for the long post.
I have had my Paragard for years also and there has been times that i didnt have a period. My doc said it was fine, but if it keeps happening im going to have it removed.
I found interesting information relating to the copper that the Paragard is made from:

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm
I got the Paragard IUD about two months ago and I am still having instances of cramping outside of my period. My boyfriend says that he can feel it at times. I think that I might be gaining weight, but not completely sure if its because of the Paragard or other stress in my life right now. I also feel like my level of depression has gone up over the last few months. It could just be SAD or from the stress of finishing my last college semester though. I tried to research if copper actually gets in the blood stream from this devise and found the website I posted already, which seems to say that it does. I found this website too:
http://www.womens-health.com/boards/birth-control/29391-paragard-what-your-doc-doesnt-know-doesnt-tell-you.html

After learning this new information, I am not sure what to do. It seems like some vitamins or minerals like zinc might counteract some side effects. I might just give the IUD more time and decide if I want to get it removed.
I just had my paragard removed after having it just less than 30 days.  The insertion did hurt. However, it only took a few minutes to have inserted. I started spotting and cramping a few days ago and actually started to feel like the left side of the device was poking me. This was more noticeable when I went to bed and was lying down. Prior to this happening, I had sex and did experience discomfort and pressure, which left me abstaining.  My partner never felt the device or the strings. As far as my period...spotting for two days, then normal for me accompanied by moderate cramping. I have terrible periods when I am not on the pill-so, normal for me may be horrible for others. If I had not started to feel as though I could feel the device inside me, I would probably have continued with it. The doctor said the device appeared to be in the correct place; however, my insurance would not cover an ultrasound to be certain. The medical staff attempted to talk me into keeping it in and waiting it out. I told them NO. Immediately upon removal, the irritating "poking" feeling was gone. It was such a release. Honestly, I think the device was just not for me. I am going back to the pill.  I would not recommend this device for individuals that have not had children.  I have two children and I am in my upper 30's. I DO have two friends that have the paragard and LOVE it and have had the device for multiple years. This is why I had decided to try it.  I have another friend that had Mirena and had severe gastrointestinal bleeding which ceased immediately upon removal in case anyone has THAT problem.  The doctor sent her to several specialists, and they could never figure out what was wrong. It was a blog like this that prompted her to question her mirena and have it removed. Like anything else, paragard may be the perfect fit for some. Everyone is different.
wow.so many negative reactions!! ive had a great experience with paragard, other than heavier periods. my dr said to check the strings occasionally, and ive decided to check a couple of times, sometimes i could feel them, other times i couldnt.
All in all, GREAT decision!!! :)
also, the insertion didnt hurt at all. fyi:P
After the birth of my son 2 1/2 years ago, I chose Paragard for my BC of choice due to the fact that no hormones were present in this type of IUD.  I assumed that there would be no major changes in my health, moodiness from the effects of hormones, discomfort, etc...  I was WRONG.  Throughout  the duration, I had abdominal discomfort, bowel issues, migraines, severe itching in my legs, and was very temperamental.  Along witht these symptoms, I have had a very hard time with post-baby weight loss.  Being active duty Army, I am required to maintain a certain level of daily physical training, and the weight just never seemed to normally subside and the presence of constant bloating didn't help with the expectation of seeing any results.  Periods were the worst, being that they were EXTREMELY heavy, and EXTREMELY painful to where I would just want to ball up and cry!  I am not sensitive to pain, but the discomfort was too much for me.  I finally opted to have it removed, and am already experiencing the diminishing of these side effects especially the headaches, itching, and constant bloating.  The first time I sought to have it removed, my doctor stated that none of the side effects I have listed were related at all to the presence of Paragard, but I simply do not buy it, being that it was removed only 2 days ago, and I am already beginning to feel better.  I have read online that there is a possibility that patients could develop an allergy to copper from the presence of this particular IUD.  I am not sure if this is true, or whether any of these symptoms are directly related to the insertion of Paragard, but what I do know is the fact that I am already feeling a difference.
And also, I agree with iudnot4me, in that Paragard was not for me, but it may be perfect for others.  Everyone IS different.
*Anyone doing research on bc and Paragard should take all these comments with a grain of salt. Everyone reacts differently and it is important to keep in mind many women posting may have been on hormonal bc for years (controlling heavy periods, for exp.) before switching to Paragard.

Personally, I love Paragard primarily because I didn't want to be pumped full of hormones anymore. Yes, the insertion was a little painful, but if I was able to do it with no painkillers (never having given birth), I think you can prepare and have it inserted no problem--even if it hurts, it's not longer than a pap smear takes, really.

My only issue seems to be I've developed acne after having clear skin for years (granted I was on NuvaRing before and when the acne started I was under a great deal of stress writing my thesis and working full time, so keep that in mind) at age 28. I read elsewhere online copper can negatively effect zinc levels in your body, so I just started taking zinc supplements and already it seems to be helping.

I'll also say I've always had light periods and for me, and except for the first few erratic months, mine are light and really short, sometimes nonexistant with Paragard.
I have had the Paraguard for a year now and had it removed today and got the Mirena. Every time I would have a cycle it stayed on at least 45 days and the bleeding was very heavy. I talked to the doctor about it and he out me on the pill thinking that may help to regulate my cylce. Well my cycle came and stayed on 7 days went off for 4 and came back. So I decided I can no longer deal with this. With the Mirena my doctor said my bleeding will get lighter and eventually go away. So I will see how this works. I have a friend that has had the Mirena for 3 years and she loves it and haven't had any problems she said she rarely gets a cycle.
I got the Paragurd placed in, in August 2010 after having my first child  in June because i cant take anything with hermones. It was a bit painful, but nothing I couldn't handle. The next day I was in severe pain by the end of the day and could barely walk. I started bleeding Aug. 23, 2010 and to this very day Jan. 14, 2011 have not stopped bleeding. For months the nurses would not allow me to make an appointment or speak to the dr. stating that I just needed to hang in there and it would all be over soon.

I recently went to my Physician and found out that my iron is low, therefore having to take iron pills, my hemoglobian levels are low, and my B12 is low-therefore having to take B12 shots. My physician informed me that it's due to my Paragurd. My husband, who is extremely patient, is SUPER fustrated due to our unability to have sex because of all the bleeding.

I therefore made a trip to my OB and instead of doing an ultra sound to find the problem, he prescribed me some meds to stop the bleeding. Then he stated if that didnt work, he would give me another dose of the meds and if the meds didnt work then he would do an ultrasound to see where the paragurd is placed.

Since having the Paragurd, I've had cramping everyday, bleeding-heavy bleeding at that- for months, itchy legs, back pains, acne, and I'm crancky all the time.
Everyone is different and the effects are different to all, but i dont recommend this method to anyone!

This forum has helped me through my IUD experience so I feel like I owe it to everyone the let you know my experience.  I got my Paragard inserted in the beginning of October 2010.  The day I got it, my stomach bloated up. I thought I'd wait a little while as I had read that it may take up to 6 weeks for the bloating to subside.  It did go down a little after the first month.  Then I gained about 7lbs. from 118lbs. (I quite HBC one month before the IUD), up to 125lbs. Meanwhile, I did a complete overhaul on my diet and exercise---little to no fat + 5 workouts per week of weights (1 hour) and cardio (run 2-3 miles).  Still nothing! So frustrating.

I got it removed today and they said I had a polyp on my uterus.  Polyps appear to be affected by hormone levels and grow in response to circulating estrogen.  Too much estrogen will cause you to have a "spare tire" stomach.  So here I am, 4 months later with a polyp that needs to be removed immediately and 7 lbs. that need to come off.  If any doctor tells you that it doesn't affect your hormone levels, I'd tell them to take a hike back to med school!

Anyhow, best of luck to everyone that is having these problems.  Do yourself a favor and get it removed.  Don't second guess yourself with the lure of the convenience of 10 year "perfect" birth control!
Had the same thing happen.. found this post after I started searching!  Once it was inserted my cycle stopped and nothing has happened yet.. It's been in for a week.
I have read a lot of women on here experiencing horrible effects of the Paragard iud but cannot afford to have it removed , well I had terrible results on it and couldn't afford to have it removed either so I went into the bathroom and with the help of a friend , just grabbed the strings with a pair for eyebrow tweezers and it came right out , zero pain !  maybe if your strings are short you can buy and wash real good a pair of needle nose plyers but we just pulled on it slowly and out it popped !  
hi, i've been experiencing the same problems. and yeah the paragard is no joke. I too have had it for a while now and am about to get it taken out right now as we speak.....
   I would not recommend this birth control method either!!!!!
I had the Paraguard IUD for 3 years. I had a very weird reaction. At first about 6 months apart I started experincing weird symptoms, about 6 months apart, then gradually got closer to about every other month.  I would get a high fever the first 2 days of my period, cramps, very heavy flow and pain on one side, I think where my ovaries are. I usually would throw up sometimes too. The symptoms changed to not throwing up every time but always having a fever and ovary pain and a fever. I finally had it removed and have been symptom free for a year and a half. My sister has the Mirena and has no problems with it. But I like the idea of Paraguard because of no hormones. So, now I use no birth control. My doctor said birth control pills can cause mood problems. So who needs that. Just curious to know if anyone else has had a reaction to this thing like I had. I'm 45, have 4 kids.
I can't take the pill, I go crazy when I take hormones. I'm extremely moody and irritable. I did the research and paragard seemed like my only option. I'm 21 years old and I've never had any children. I had the paragard inserted yesterday. It was not that bad at all..it was uncomfortable, but, really not that painful. I guess everyone is different. When I got done with the procedure I felt a little weird but nothing out of the ordinary. There has only been a little bleeding and minimal cramping. I gained 20-30 lbs from being on hormonal bc! So far, although it's only been a day, I love it! Plus, I'm looking forward to getting this weight off. I think I made a good choice.
I had an IUD in 1996 and it was awesome. The procedure was uncomfortable, a quick pinch and cramping for a couple days then I was just fine. No horrible side affects.
     Every year I went to my apt at obgyn to have it checked to make sure it hasnt shifted and the string was still there. Oh yes there is a short string that hangs, if your sexual partner says he can feel it, then you can have the ofgice trim it shorter, but it shouldnt cause any discomfort or problems.

*****     5years later, I was pregnaunt (pregnant) with my third child. SURPRISE!!! I had prayed it would of lasted 10 years! My pregnancy was 50/50 becsuse I still had the iud.
I dont believe in abortion and if I cud get preg. 5yrs later then this had to be a blessing from God, his plan, not mine!!!
I had the IUD removed with the 50/50 chance and had a very normal, healthy baby girl. She is now 10 years old and has a fighting spirit agaisnt all odds.
After her delivery I got the Iud again, then 4yrs later, I adked gh or its removal and had a tubal ligation after my divorce.
     I would reconmend the IUD, but I get nervous toward the 5th yr! But We are all differnt and our bodies respond differnt.  
Oh by the way I had the copper T.
I've had paragard for about a year without side effects. I would have my moon for about a day or so, but I don't know if it is because I still nurse my daughter or what.  Although a week ago, I had a heavy cycle that lasted 5 days, and I can't feel the string when I recently checked. I'm pretty bad about that. So, I'm a little concerned with the "abnormal for breastfeeding" bleeding and not feeling the string. I'm also a little crampy at the moment. I'm going to make an appointment to double check, plus I'm due for my yearly exam. I am considering mirena, just because I hate menses, but if everything is okay with my paragard, I might just keep it for a little longer and see what happens when I wean my DD. Oh, the everyday discharge has increased for me, enough to wear a liner everyday. Another drawback, but I'm not sure if it would be any different with mirena.  
Thanks for your comment. I had my paragard inserted in August 2009 and I most tell you, I am not in a happy place right now. I feel like a different person in my body or my body feels like a different person's. Migraines, incessant discharge that I wear panty-liners all the time, moodiness, breakouts on my chest and neck, long heavy periods and hair loss are all the symptoms that I live with now. I don't even know what to do since the hormone route is not an option for me.
I did tons of research prior to deciding on an IUD and then chose Paragard due to the side effects I was having from the hormones while I was on the pill. Being very apprehensive, especially since I have never had children and read hundreds of horror stories on the web, I am very glad I made the decision. I first decided to order the device directly from Paragard myself since my ins. has such a high deductible. They offer an interest free monthly payment plan directly to the consumer. Then I only had an invoice for the insertion from the MD. Unfortunately, I only had one OB-GYN in my area that would even look at me since I hadn't had kids and I was still told that insertion may not be possible that he would just have to do an exam to see. I took 800 mg ibuprofen 1 hr. before my appt. My cervix/uterus had to be measured ("sounded") to ensure the device could be inserted in the proper place so that I wouldn't be in constant pain from being too small and not being inserted high enough & luckily, I was just above the recommended size. The "sounding" def. got my attn so to speak. Maybe I just wasn't expecting it, but I went from feeling nothing to feeling a massive severe cramp and then as quick as it came on, it was over. Then to catch my breath for the insertion. OMG...I have a pretty high threshold of pain, but I have never felt anything like this. Now keep in mind, I've never had kids, but this felt like a normal mentral cramp x 50. Lasted about 2-3 min. and then procedure was over and the pain began to decrease. My only advice would be to talk to the nurse about something to keep your mind off of it and concentrate on deep, slow breathing, and just know it will be over very soon. Fortunately, my nurse & doc talked me thru every step and worked with me to make it as comfortable as possible. I tried to continue to be proactive & took ibuprofen for the next day so I didn't experience much more than minor cramping. This is 2nd day after insertion, no meds, still slight bleeding, very slight occasional cramps. So far, so good! Hopefully within the next week (or 3 lol) the bleeding will stop and everything will settle. I went in to this saying I was going to give it an honest 6 months before I made any changes. Just keep in mind this is something foreign that your body has to get used to. Educate yourself and ensure you're going to an OB-GYN that's had experience in insertion and confirms you're cervix/uterus is big enough to properly fit. I've heard stories where I wonder if the non-stop constant pain and cramping of some may be because of this. ?? Anyway, I will try to re-post further down the road to share future experience, but I can say I would def. recommend.
i have 2 kids 21/2 and 31/2 years old n i have a iud inserted 2 years ago and i have gain 35lbs periods last for 10+days before its was only 3-4 day lots of pain in my stomach in my growins which makes it very have for me some days.
Is anyone else having pain on the ovaries from the paraguard. I have been having extreme pain since i got it. Its been 2 years after my second child. The doctor said it could be cyst on the ovary but its the same pain everyday and my period is heavy it hasnt gone away or lighten like he said. He asked me last summer if i want it out, i told him no cause i dont want other bc pill or the ring. Im really bad at taking meds. and i had the shot it sucked horribly he doesnt even give that to his patients. Anyhow is anyone else having pains?
I got the paragard in November and I had "normal" side effects.  I had heavier bleeding during my periods that lasted around 7-8 days and heavier cramping but I heard it was normal and it would go away in a few months after my body got used to it.  Just a month ago, I started getting spotting and I thought it was just my normal cycle again, however bleeding has not stopped since.  It is light but bright red bleeding.  A week before the bleeding, I started getting this brownish discharge with regular cramplike pain.  My cramping is bearable and goes away with tylenol or ibuprofen but the bleeding is just constant.
Paragard doesn't cause lighter periods or make them go away. Mirena does that. Paragard is known to give heavier ones. The pain you get over your ovaries. Is it constant everyday, or does it only happen a few days each month.  
I think a lot of people are just naming symptoms out of nowhere that have nothing to do with Paraguard. I've had really bad stabbing pain on the left side of my abdomen right before my periods since I've had it in (8 months) and last month the pain was so bad I fainted and no over the counter medicine would help (I was fine during labor contractions so I have a high pain tolerance.. so it was bad pain). I went to see my ObGyn but she was clueless but I looked up that these symptoms don't really have anything to do with ParaGuard so I'm probably just blaming it on Birth Control when I most likely have another issue and need to go to my PCP instead of my ObGyn (which is what I'm doing now).
Other than this, ParaGuard really does make your period heavier for the first several months. I was changing ultra tampons out every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Besides that, you can't feel it (some women say their husbands can feel the string during intercourse, but mine can't). Really, you don't even notice it's there.
I've had my ParaGard for a year now. I was previously on Loestrin 24 Fe and gained weight. As soon as I dropped the hormones I dropped the weight.
If you're considering Paragard... the insertion is super painful (I can only speak as someone who has NOT had a baby). I had bad cramping the first period with the iud and considerable discomfort. Periods are heavier and the cramping is usually during 2 to 3 days of my period. Advil will become your friend, but I have found Midol to be WAY more effective. PMS symptoms (such as swelling and water retention) tend to be magnified with this. I can feel my ovaries at some points during the months. I had the exciting experience of my strings disappearing. Apparently, they wrapped around the iud instead of my cervix, so I can't check every month. My gyno said not to be concerned about it unless I start clotting. At the doc, the nurses said they'd only seen 2 people lose their iuds.... one had had 5 children and the other was passing huge clots (the iud came out in one of the clots).
Overall, I'm happy with the paragard, but it is NOT for the faint of heart. You really have to be determined to stick with it, or the cramping will not be worth it. I personally wanted to keep off the weight I lost (hormones make me gain), so I'm determined to see this thing through until I want to have kids.

QUESTION for paragard users: Recently, I've found the time between my periods is lengthening... currently it is about 6 days late and I'm not pregnant. Has anyone else had this happen??
Hey ladies, I've had the paragard for about 7 months now. My own gyno had originally recomended it and I chose it over the Mirena due to it being hormone free. The doctor which inserted it said id only need a month or two to adjust, and after about 4 months of hell, well I actually was on my period over a month and got checked out and my original gyno who had recommended it said it takes about 6 months to get used to. I thought these horrible cramps and enormously heavy periods were nuts. I'm past my 6 months now and am fed up and planning to have it removed because I fainted at work the other day due to cramps and they just took over pretty much. I'm never sticking a foreign object like this in my body again, I feel like I've been poisoning myself since I got in put in.
I just hit my one year mark with the paragard. Once I got pass the first few months, with the cramps and occasional spotting, I love it. My period began heavier and longer, but I could deal with that. About five months ago the terrible cramping started. It was worse than contractions. I have never been one to take meds for pain, but I had to just to walk around the house. The pain is crippling! But even that wasn't every month. Then my period only got heavier to the point that I have to carry a change of clothes in my car. But even that I could deal with in exchange for the benefits of hormone free long term birth control. But my new problem since just before my paragard anniversary is continual bleeding. A week after my period last month I lightly spotted for two days. A little unusual but not alarming. Then the next week, I spotted for three days and it was little heavier. Annoying but still not alarming. Then next week it started. A consistant light flow that was too heavy for a pantiliner. I have now been bleeding for over two weeks now. I'm married, and that just defeating the purpose! LOL!! I think this last week started my period but not quite sure. There has been some cramping, but nothing too painful. And when the continual flow started, there was a peculiar smell. It wasn't bad, just different. I haven't smelt it for a little over a week now.  With all that being said, however, I'm not ready to give up on the paragard. I tried hormones before and didnt like them. Besides, I have a 5 year old and 13 month old and not ready for another child.  I do have an appt with my GYN to make sure all is in the right place, but the benefits are out shining to problems to me. Does anyone else share my experience?
I had my paragard for 8 months now and it was fine until it started to come out. So next week their going to place it back in place. I did have painful cramping and heavier blood flow maybe thats why it started to come out of place. I remember wen I first got it inserted da first few weeks I had horrible cramping and I felt poking whenever I laid or set down. One month my period was so horrible I started crying but it seem like I,dnt cramp bad anymore u just have to let your body adjust to the iud!! I cnt take hormonal bc because it makes me sick so I guess da paragard is right for me. Also I do feel some type of mocus but it never did anything to my sex life actaully it made it kind of better more lubricant.lol
I have had Paraguard for about 8 months and it has pros and cons. I got it because I had an unplanned pregnancy that had to be terminated and I felt that at age 45, it was not acceptable. let me tell you, the pregnancy was a million times worse than this IUD.
Yes, I have heavier longer periods
Yes, I have a slight "feeling" of it being there.
Yes, I have a thicker waist. I think it is because of the longer periods so you are more often having PMS and your period. I do think that it is temporary and that it I had it removed tomorrow, it would "deflate." I surf so I have a lot of stomach muscle, but it is extended more than it would be if I didn't have the IUD. I asked my boyfriend if it bothered him that I looked thick in the middle, and it didn't, and he doesn't want to get a vasectomy.
No, I do not have more acne. I do get a few "flaws" before my period, but I always did.
No, I do not have more discharge.
No, I have not had any infections, cysts, etc.

All and all it is worth it. I hate all birth control, but never want to be pregnant again, so I have no choice. There is no way I would go on the pill, and I had horrible experiences with depo and implants. It really is the best option, but don't expect no side effects with any form of bc.
I've had Paragard for a year now and LOVE it.  After reading many of the comments left on this page, I really do believe that Paragard works for some where it may not work for others.  Different body types equal different reactions.  My advice is to talk to your OBGYN and then try Paragard for yourself if the doctor thinks it is a good option for you.  If after three to four months you still don't like it, go get it taken out!
My Experience:  
I had Paragard inserted after having my first child and I haven't had any problems.  It was a little uncomfortable during insertion, but the process went smoothly.  I did have some heavy cramping and light spotting for about two to three months after insertion, but my regular periods and normal cramping are all I experience now.  I cannot feel it inside me, nor can I feel the strings poking out or anything out of the norm.
NO WEIGHT GAIN.  I am a whole 110 pounds and YES I do love my food and YES I am an active person.  
My husband has not been able to feel it during intercourse and I still have a normal healthy sex drive.
Yes, my periods have been lasting a few days longer and are sometimes heavier.  I do need to always wear a panty liner, due to a yellowish (sometimes brown) discharge.  The discharge can come in clumps sometimes and is embarassing, but I rather have that then be pregnant or on some other form of birth control that has worse side effects.  I really don't know if this discharge is a side effect of having given birth or of the Paragard, but it is something I've been experiencing since.
All in all I highly recommend trying out Paragard for yourself!  
I had Paraguard inserted in March 2011. I had experience minor weight gain from the pill, but other than that I did not have any serious issues. I did a lot of research before choosing Paragard vs Merania and chose it because it was hormone-free - big mistake.

Now, rather than dealing with the minor inconvenience of taking a pill 1x a day - I have been in pain every single day since it was put in. My period, oh goodness, I've litterally had to call in sick to work because I was in so much pain and my period was so insanely heavy. I would have to set my alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night to change my tampon or I would ruin my sheets...  I guess in a way you can say it's been a very effective birth control - I have ZERO sex drive since I am constantly in pain and feel terrible.  I constanly feel "sick", I can't explain it exactly, but I have extreme fatigue (I that's not like me at all, previously, I couldn't sit for more than an hour for 2 with out getting antsy). For example, I use to keep a very neat and  tidey house, now it's a struggle to pick up a pillow off the floor because bending over hurts. Nothing else has changed to make me depressed or have this sudden change in mood or modivation. Nothing except the paragard.

I completely understand that every woman is different and will have different reactions and that my case is not the "norm", so my point of writing this post is just to say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I did not have any significant side effects (like many women who decide to get paragard) that prevented me from staying on the pill, I just liked the ease and convenience and the obvious fact paragard does not use hormones (no hormones, that MUST be better, right?). But here's what I have learned - paragard is NOT for me. My body does not like having a piece of plastic & copper in it (which, as you all know, copper is a metal and too much metal in you system is bad too), so bring on the horomomes because something makes me feel this bad can't be good for me. And wether it's psychological or physical, paragad is making my life significantly more miserable that any side effect from the pill.

I felt like I was "wrong" because my doctor said there was discomfort at first and I just need to "suck it up" and wait it out, but after reading these posts I realized I'm not "crazy" - other people have felt the exact same side effects (even though it's not listed on the "box"). For me, 6 months is long enough to see it's not working out. So, if you feel similar results, it's ok and you're not alone - call you doctor and make an appointment to take it out - my removal appointment is Tuesday and I am literally counting the minutes.
I have had mine for 3 months now, and I have had extreme cramping at random and heavy bleeding. my first period lasted 2 months and then a week and a half later I started again.

On August 29th during sex my partner hit my cervix and i felt like i was in labor again. thought i was going to die.. later that night i started spotting for about a week but wasnt bad now i have been bleeding and clotting for about three days now.. im sick and so is my 6 month old so the constant changing of tampons and pads is inconvenient... should i be worried? my dr.s office is booked up until the beginning of next month so i dont know what to do. HELP?!?!
Hi. I've the para gard in for a year now. With have my first child a had so cramps with my periods but that slowed die down. when i gave birth to my second child i decide to have the paragard since it last longer for me and my husband. Before i had my para gard in i was already having pain while having sex and im not sure why?? i haven't had any problems with it yet. I have always had heavy periods in that past after have my first child so that is normal for me too. When it was first put in I was bleeding like they said would happen and I was in pain the first couples of days but then it went away. But some months would come around I wouldn't have periods that month but its kinda normal but i'm not sure it was before i had the para gard  in. I like it cause of the no hormones are in it and it wont mess with my egg sack if i would like to have kids later on. But I do want to be a surrogate mother for someone in the future. So I went with this so if that day came I wouldn't have any hormones problems with trying to get the eggs to stick. i do like the para gard but I was already having some problems before it was in. But not any problems with it beside my weight lol which I'm working with.
Don't listen to anyone about insertion, everyone is different.  I felt a little bit of cramping when they dialated my cervix very barable, then nothing!  I was so scared when she was done I was like that's it LOL!  But my experience, I've had very heavy periods, with the watery discharge some ladies were talking about, and I've been having the watery discharge without my period now too.  cramping *****, hurts kinda of bad, but nothing like labor.  I spot 3-5 times between but very light and about one bathroom visit... Hope this helps
I'm 32 with no children and am considering Paragard. My OBGYN suggested it as an alternative to the pill (I have been on the pill for about 13 years but it is no longer effective due to other medications I take for Trigeminal Neuralgia).  He told me that women either love it or hate it (which is what I am seeing here).

Does anyone have any advice?
I had the paragard put in on 4/1/11 after having 2 kids and not wanting any more at this time.  It seemed like the perfect solution for me because my body does not reace well at all to hormones (I have tried like 6 different BC pills).  I didn't get my period for about the first 2 months, but the dr said that was normal.  Then, in June my body started changing.  I am a fairly petite person (5'4", 115 lbs), and very active (run about 20 miles a week, yoga/pilates 3 times a week), and eat very healthy.  I started to put on weight for no apparent reason, and my skin started to break out just about everywhere when I normally have great skin.  I was also dizzy and getting headaches.  I went to my doctor at the end of June and they ran a bunch of tests which all came back clear.  They told me I was crazy to think it was the IUD, but schedule a follow-up with me for August.  I decided to give it a few more months anyway based off of my doctor's strong response.  I truly wish that I didn't listen to them, but listened to my body.  They symptoms only got worse.  I decided to cancel the follow up and see a different doctor for a second opinion.  I got the same response from him, however he told me the placement of the IUD was low so that I should have it taken out and put back in.  Now, its Sept 19th and I am 20 POUNDS heavier than I was in April and my skin is a mess, along with my mood.  Nothing has changed in my life, yet all of this has nothing to do with the IUD.  Really?!?!  I'm listening to myself this time, and just had it taken out about a half hour ago.  I was told by another woman who was having issues that you need to detox your system from the copper with a lot of iron, and that it takes about 3 weeks to start to feel normal again.  I will touch base again in about a month and let you all know how its going.

My question to the group is "Why are the doctor's so adamant at there being no side effects?"  I just don't get it.

Take care,
Andrea
hello...i just got the non hormonal iud inserted 3 days ago..i felt a little pinch for about 5 seconds but it wasnt as bad..before this i had it inserted 4 years ago but I had a bad experience with that one so i had it removed..i felt sever cramping right after that i could not take the pain..I had this one put in and was nothing compared to the first time..I have no cramping what so ever but i do have like a brownish discharge coming out. not so bad..my gyn said it was normal for a few days..im hoping this time it works out because i am not trying to have anymore kids until atleast 5 years..what scared me was that i did some research on the internet and saw many women complaining about weight gain..how is that possible if it is non hormonal? does everyone gain weight?
Cooper iud in for 2 1/2 years. Gained 25lbs and no sex drive. Painful sex. Wow I want it out already.
Been on paragaurd for 8 months. I've gained weight, have difficulty with intercourse because the string sometimes hurting my boyfriend and pain with sex. My periods are so heavy now I have to change pads/tampons twice at night alone and even that sometimes isn't enough., and occur about every twenty days now. Very annoying. Thicker mucuses. More obvious smell. I can't use hormonal bc because I am so sensitve to them that I will actually lactate and have morning sickness. I'm so fed up with this birth control drama, I'm considering removal so I can get pregnant and then have my boyfriend get fixed (or myself, I really don't care at this point) some people absolutely love this bc. I like some aspects but not others. Not worrying is helpful but the pain and the annoying aspects plus having pcos. I'm losing faith and patience. Good luck!
I have had my iud for two months. I have been on my period for over 20 days now. Heavy period. Not sure what to do. Dr wants to take it out but I can't handle hormones. I had this iud before then took it out and put this one in. Had absolutely no issues the first time
i had paragaurd put in august 21 or so, i have had serious bleeding with my periods changing super absorbency tampons every hour for the fist 2 days of every period. since i had it put in i have gained 10 pounds ,i am depressed, unhappy moody irrational, and i am having it removed today. before i got it i was happy always smiling didnt have any weight issues now i just feel pregnant and i cant stop eating i dont even like food unless im pregnant. i noticed just before a period i start getting uncontrolably emotional crying, eating, sad ,mad its been horrifying ..its just not worth it to me.
I got the para guard in March - 8 months ago; and I just had it removed because periods were just unbearably heavy and the cramps were worse than ever. And since I've had it removed, I have a dark brown, smelly discharge. Any thoughts? I'm giving it a few more days before I get too concerned. I just couldn't take those cramps for another cycle. I do owe my cramps for bringing my attention to my womanhood. I learned meditation and diaphragmatic breathing to move through the pain. Big whoop, though. It's simply not worth it to me.

After my experience and reading this forum it is clear that every woman is different and there is no one-size-fits-all form of birth control. One thing I have come to realize is this: we weren't meant to control our bodies' natural cycles in this way. We are built to have sex/make love...whatever your name is for this natural human activity...we are built to make babies not prevent them with hormones & IUDs. I can't bring myself to insert another one of these beasts again. It was terrible the first time when the doc somehow managed to embed a Para Guard into the uterine muscle instead of inserting it neatly into my cervix. And it was hell the second time around with the copious bleeding and sharp, blinding cramps. While I got this thing for obvious reasons, I can't bring myself to repeat another attempt at alternative forms of birth control. I'll just stick with the good old fashioned withdrawal method. It's worked for 14 years. Why should it fail me now? And if it does, we'll deal with it when we come to that bridge. Til then, it's au natural for us.
I just got my Paraguard put in on Friday, was very painful but I want to try to go more natural without hormones.  Honestly so far I don't really like having an IUD but I will wait as long as possible to see if I'm just getting used to it.  First two days I wanted to die no amount of medicine was helping.  It's getting a little better but I feel it so I cannot at all imagine having sex with it as I'm scared might push the metal and hurt pretty bad, Which is actually very stressful because I have a really high sex drive so i'm getting kinda depressed that I'm too scared to even use my vibrator as I think it will really hurt. I'm going to try to stick with it until I have my Pap in January and if I'm not comfortable by then I will switch back to birth control pill even though I'm not really wanting to.   I'm really really hoping my body adjusts though.  I don't think anyone will know what works until they try it Dr tried to get me to do Mirena due to already heavy periods I'm just hoping after a week everything will be normal.  I feel like if I go #2 I will push it out as well not to be graphic but I kinda thought you would not be able to feel it at all.
Im getting my Paraguard inserted tomorrow morning.  Im 22 and have not had a child.  Im wanting to get off of hormone based bc.  started my period today and my doctor has prescribed me valium for the procedure and vicoden for after the procedure.  Kinda nervous because of some of the stories Ive read but Im gonna try and stay positive and hopeful that it will work for me.  will post an update after having it inserted.
I have had the paragard almost a year now and for the most part it has been worth it but my periods are very heavy and last ten days. I don't suffer from bad cramping but I get extremely hormonal and emotional during my cycle, which was never the case before. The two worst side effects I have experienced have been discharge with an odor that to me is very strong. The second is I have an extremely hard time losing weight. I work out five days a wk and watch what I eat. Since insertion I have gained 12 lbs. I know its non-hormonal but I have never had this much difficulty losing weight. Has anyone else had a problem with weight?
so far so good!  had a lot of cramping yesterday after having the paraguard inserted but now Im feeling pretty normal, hopefully this is a good sign!
I have burning vaginal sanction before my period. Andmy tests r fine. And I think it's paragard. I'm getting very annoyed by it. Does anyone experience the same?
i had paragaurd put in sep,2,2011 i supposedly had 2 prego tests done before insertion ! and a sonogram to make sure it was where it was suposed to be, well just before i had it put in my clothes felt a little tight and i felt fat . immediatly after it was put in i had a muffin top camel toe my jeans didnt fit every month i told my husband i dont feel good this thing makes me feel like im pregnant and i am gaining weight !! well now sep goes by had a heavy period so i start running 18 miles a week and working out .. oct goes by and im still gaining, nov goes by and im now almost 10 pounds heavier i finally said im taking this thing out my last period i bled heavily i was bleeding so much i was freezing and felt like i was drunk changing my super absorbency tampon every 30  to 40 minutes .. i had it removed on nov 30th and wow guess what i am pregnant .. i have no idea how long iv been pregnant or if its even where its supposed to be .because pregnancy with iud usually ends up to be ectopic this if f***** i hav gotten pregnant on the shot, the pill, and now paraguard iud i have 5 kids already ..... PARAGUARD *****  off to the doctor that did the first 2 pregnancy tests hmmmm what should i say to them was i pregnant before or did i get pregnant after lets see do a sono now or im gonna kick ur ***  from one end of this office to the other end.. figure it out today .
I had mine inserted 9 months ago and since then have gained a total of 30 pounds. I'v always been 100 pounds and very slim and petite I was so mind boggled by all this weight gain??? I went on every diet possible, i started working out like a crazy person and instead of losing weight or maintaining my weight i was GAINING weight?? I went to my Doctor and got test for a thyroid issue and every other issue on the problem and all my test game back normal. I was so depressed I felt hopeless until i found this web page. I immediately made an appointment with my OBGYN and today which is a week later I finally lost 4 pounds without even trying!!!! I thought everyone was crazy but decided to take it out because i felt so hopeless. I couldn't be happier, taking it out is the best thing Iv ever done..Ill keep u posted when I get to my goal weight!!!
I now have the para gaurd and have had it for 11 months, luv it I have 3 kids and.i dont have to.worry about taking a pill.every.day. Also I'm the.type of person that I can not have.any extra hormone in my body.i start expericing drastic.weight loss, loss of hair, and loss of my.appatite, thats why my doc recomended para gaurd. Cramps are a lil much but ib profin.and water.helps calms it down! I hope tjis helps.u.out!!  22yrs old...4 yr old daughter 2 yr old son & 10 mnth old daughter!! Jackie grado
I had the paragard put in a month ago. I've never had kids so It was difficult to put in, and I'm usually great wit pain but it hurt pretty bad & I did it while I was on my period like they told me too, because it would help.. I wouldnt do it again though lol. Anyways I felt faint literally for 2seconds then felt fine after. I bled for about a week and a half but mostly light. Now it's a month later & I got some cramps but only right before getting my next period. I finally got my period & I'm bleeding alot. I have to change my tampon every 2hrs, it's annoying & I had pads!. Then I felt liquid come out randomly, sorry if that's nasty, so I thought I over bled but when I checked it was clear liquid. Not cool. My cramps come and go but pain pills make them go away. Let's see how this continues....
I'm so surprised at what I am reading... I have had my copper iud for about 1year and 4months. The first 1year I too had heavy periods to the point where I had to use a tampon and pad. It was horrible. I didn't get to bad of cramps but migrains where terrible. I have gained about 40lbs. My boss at work mentioned she thinks the weight gain is due to the iud. So here I am doing my research. Reading these comments makes me think that maybe the iud isn't the best choice for me. My periods have gotten better I will say. The hedaches are still happening and as far as my sex drive It's always changing sometimes I have none and sometimes I do. I also read somewhere that you can get pregnant on the iud but the iud keeps it from attaching to the uterus wall. That is why you have such heavy periods at times. Now it's wierd I read that b/c I have had a miscariage before and it is something you can never forget..It is the worst cramps, huge blood clots and a period that last for what feels like forever. Kinda of how my period was when I got this thing put in. I think I'm just going to tie my tubes I already have 3babies and I'm done. Why put myself through this...
I am 22 and I have had the para gard in for about 4 months now and so far I have actually loved it! I gave birth to my first child a daughter in july. I did it naturally with no pain meds, not because I didnt want the epidural to begin with but my labor progressed so fast (total of 3 hrs!!!) I was able to do it without them. It was def the most painful thing Ive ever done, so to me getting the para gard put in literally was nothing I really barely felt it, maybe it was a little pinch but that was all, and I wasnt on my period as recommended because I was still breastfeeding . I had no dizziness or anything afterwards. Id say maybe the next day slight cramping but nothing bad. My periods are still irregular and Im not sure if thats from the para gard or just how recent Ive had a baby. Ive had light flows, spotting and my last period was so heavy i was soaking through super plus tampons about one an hour but only for about 3 hours then it lightened up. My cycles have been longer but Ive always had slightly painful cramps so they were nothing more than usual. However within the past few weeks I have been having dull lower back cramps mainly like the ones I experience before my cycle starts except they are everyday. Maybe its just my body still adjusting but the cramps are nothing that a few motrin cant help. Also my husband says he thinks he can feel the strings a little but its nothing that bothers him. I talked to a nurse at my ob/gyn office today about it and she said she would have my dr let me know whether or not i should come in to have an ultrasound to make sure its in correctly(it better be no more babies are needed for now!). So for now Im still in love with this non hormonal bc, I love that I never have to think about taking pills or anything, and I plan to keep it in a few years until we decide to have another baby! I feel that mainly these are people who came to this blog to complain and warm people about it and the people happy with it dont even bother to look it up! Everyones body is so different and reacts different to things so its def worth trying for sure, if its not for you get it taken out simple as that, and about the insertion pain, just relax and talk through the procedure with your doctor and u wont feel a thing, tensing up makes anything like this worse! Hope this helps some of you decide!
I had my IUD placed in mid-October (it is now mid-January) and I am fairly happy overall. My period is about two weeks late so far this month but I have been under tremendous stress. I do spot quite a bit, but I saw over at IUD Divas that there is some thing with taking Vitamin E that helps, and last month I took an E supplement every few days and the spotting stopped.

Insertion was unpleasant but not incredibly bad. I'm 28, no kids, single, 5'8" and 160 lbs. I work out daily, ski and hike, am very active and muscular, I haven't gained any weight, maybe a pound or two around the holidays but it'll come off this week or next. I might be different because stress generally turns off my appetite and I have not been eating very much lately; I had heard that it was more common to lose weight once quitting hormonal methods.

I will say I DO feel different in that section of my body. I have a dull pain in my uterus pretty much every morning when I wake up, but I check the strings (mine has curled around my cervix so I can only just graze it with my finger). No insane cramping, but I have dealt with a little more nausea around ovulation; when I was taking birth control I just wasn't aware of it. I took Estrostep FE for 10 years and just was sick of putting chemicals into my body.

I've more or less come to grips with the fact that my period will never be on time again; I was never regular before and I will probably not be regular after. Periods are very heavy... frighteningly heavy. I have never had such heavy bleeding. In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my period at this point, I am not going to bother with a pregnancy test as there is scarcely a chance I could be. I will probably call my doctor this week just to let him know I have yet to actually have my period, despite a lot of spotting.

There are a lot of horror stories on the internet... I know a lot of people in real life that have IUDs and love them and would never think about posting something online. The people who post on here are primarily the people with bad experiences, much like anything else (restaurants, attractions, etc). Overall I'm glad I did this, though my insurance only covered a portion of the cost. Go to a good doctor to have it placed, someone who will talk to you and listen to your concerns, not a quack who just wants your money.

That said, I've had it for three months, I am going to tough it out and see what happens. Nothing unexpected has happened. I see from these comments and such that a lot of people give up, and have it removed, I am waiting at LEAST 6 months before I even CONSIDER removing it... this is much better than taking pills and much less expensive.

Keep in mind that when you see comment after comment of people who got pregnant, or x or y or z, that the people here while being helpful in sharing their experiences are mostly the people who have negative ones to share. I know a lot of people who are really happy with their IUDs, you can be yourself, you don't have to pump yourself with synthetic hormones. Also, IUDs are the most common form of birth control worldwide; there is just a huge stigma about them in the US because of the Dalkon Shield stuff a few decades back and now they have a bad rep.

I miss the predictability of birth control, but I don't miss the doubt I harbored about filling my body with synthetic estrogen. I wanted to know who I was, what it was really like to feel like ME without hormones, and now I can feel that way. I feel really good. Eat right and exercise and be aware of stress and whatever and if it works it works, if it doesn't, a lot of other people have said it right -- one single form of birth control can't make everyone happy. What works for me might not work for you. These devices are extremely popular all over the world... there is a reason for that.
I had Paraguard inserted 6 weeks after my second son was born in 2009. It, in my opinion, has caused me many problems. I too was told that after the first 3-6 months the bleeding would level out and I'd have regular periods, but possibly heavier. Lets put it this way.... I've gained nearly 30 lbs, have little to no sex drive anymore, have much heavier periods and way more often.... I'm talking bleeding 3 out of the 4 weeks. Right when I think it's over, it starts up again. I'll have no blood for 2-3 days and intercourse seems to trigger the bleeding to start back up. No pain, no cramping... usually...... just constant bleeding. I will say that when I have had cramps, they are so severe they bring me to my knees and put me in tears, but they're rare occurances for me personally. Sometimes the bleeding is light and is a brownish color for a week or so, then goes to bright red, then back to brown before ceasing for a couple days at most then resuming again... I've also had low back issues. I don't know if everything is all tied together because docs and Paraguard insist there's little to no side effects, but I will say it is VERY coincidental that so many people are struggling with the same or similar issues and these issues didn't arise until inserting the Paraguard. It's a love hate relationship with Paraguard. It has made life easier as far as preventing pregnancy goes but everything else is quite burdensome and is making me strongly consider having it removed. I feel gross and like a freak of nature always bleeding. The smell is horrible, lots of clear discharge.... not sexy at all!!!! And yes, my fiance can feel the strings from time to time and they sometimes hurt. I can feel the strings, nothing feels out of place, I can't feel it inside me other than the strings, and I have no other conditions that would cause these symptoms (ex: STD's). Everyone's body is different and you may or may not have these symptoms happen to you, but I would STRONGLY suggest you do your research thoroughly prior to having it inserted. With so many of us having these issues with this supposed "ideal" BC method, it can't, or shouldn't, be overlooked. We can't ALL be wrong!! Proceed with caution and good luck!
Hi, I'm reading all these comments about paragard and I'm considering getting it despite the horrible symptoms hoping that after a year or two they'll stabilize. However, I keep on reading that mucus comes out even after 5, 6, 8 years. I'd be ok with that mucus, but if it doesn't smell, so would you be able to tell me if yours smells, because if I'm going to have mucus coming out that smells then that defeats the purpose of having more confident sex...
did you end up having the paragard taken out? I am on my 5th month and have similar side affects. Heavy 2 week periods that bleed like nothing I could've imagined, nasty discharge and I have depression so bad that my sex drive is the least of my worries. I have suicidal thoughts. Because Paragard is hormone free, I hadn't even considered it to be a cause. I also hadn't considered my lightheaded and dizzy days to be related until reading your post. I want to feel better, but I don't want to have the Paragard removed only to find out that depression wasn't related and if I had given the paragard a couple more months, my side affects would get better.
Hello I had my IUD put in about a month ago. I thought it would be the best thing to use for BC because I am going to have the gastric bypass surgery and I can't get pregnant for awhile.  At first there was a little pain but it soon went away. I had spotting and a lot of discharge up until I had my period again. Now I am currently on my period and it is very heavy. The part that kinda stinks is my doctor told me not to wear a tampon with the first two cycles so even with a overnight pad on it still is making a huge mess. I am scared to go into public because once I sit or stand up blood flows heavy and fast. I have also noticed that I have more face acne than I usually do. I have been using apricot face scrub and it seems to be helping. I am starting to wonder if I should get it taken out. I need to be on a BC but so far bleeding heavy is getting on my nerves. I also have two kids. I am bleeding more than I did after I went through labor. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? My poor husband is getting worried also.
Am thinking of inserting paragard just worried about the heavy bleeding of period (long period)and  am also scared of adding weight.pls I need advice.thanks
Viewing 1-200 comments: