Paragard and High Blood Pressure?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Paragard and High Blood Pressure?

I had the IUD Paragard inserted on January 26. I didn't have any problems with the insertion, but did have some severe cramping the next day, and for about 4 days after. On the 7th day, I started to feel out-of-sorts at work. I took my blood pressure, and it was 153/100. I have always had normal BP. I called the midwife who inserted the IUD, and was seen right away. She seemed very surprised by this and assumed it was anxiety. She performed a physical exam, as well as an internal and external ultrasound to confirm that the IUD was in its proper place, which it was. If it was anxiety, I would think this reassurance was all I needed. However, my BP did not decrease, even over the next 2 days. I went to see a PA at a new PCP office, and was told my body may be reacting poorly to the IUD, but since there is a history of heart disease in my family, they wanted to do an EKG, which turned out normal. They prescribed Atenolol 25mg to be taken once a day. I didn't take it that night because, though I was told to stay on my Pill for the first couple months while on Paragard to reduce cramping, bleeding, etc, I thought that may be contributing to my elevated BP. That was Friday. Monday came around, and my BP was 142/100. I took the Atenolol, and it dropped a bit for most of the day, but by 7 it was back to 142/92. Am I crazy to be convinced that these circumstances are related? Has anyone else experienced elevated BP due to Paragard? I can't seem to find any correlations online!
nisha78952 is ... Comment
LandM2009 Feeling tired and stressed.... Comment
Shannon79 Yuck! Another scorcher toda... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals