Paragard problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Paragard problems?

Can anyone find information on side effects with the use of the Paragard IUD? I can't find anything that matches my problems and my doctor makes me feel like I'm makeing stuff up. I have had it since sept. 09 and have had a vaginal discharge EVERYDAY. I think because of the copper it puts off an amonia (ammonia) like smell (eweee). My periods are heavy, long and frequent(eweee). I have more Zits than I have ever had! I have terrible cramping and sharp pain on my left side:( I think my hope for hormone, and thought free birth control for ten years has come with a heavier price than advertised.
a week after I posted this I finally had the IUD removed. My O.B.GYN thought that my body was possibly trying to reject the IUD and that is why I was haveing the discharge, cramping and frequent periods. In fact the IUD had been pushed down and could have easily came out on it's own. Now my body is back to normal! No discharge at ALL, or weird smells. I'm on a regular 28 day cycle to the DAY, with NO cramps what so ever! AND my skin is beautiful again. I guess the paragard is just not for everyone. I have a few allergies to things like latex and soaps so I will not be putting anymore foreign objects in my body.
I realize your post was from 2010 so it may not be relevant anymore but maybe it can help someone else. That discharge you're speaking of sounds a lot like bacterial vaginosis. I have the paragard IUD and prior to I was getting BV first 3 times a year and then a little more frequently and it would usually happen right after my period. I did a little trial and error and tried eliminating tampons and that has helped tremendously. It's just extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable to have to wear a maxi pad every month. I was advised that the paragard strings could bring infection up to your uterus and could trap bacteria causing BV. I only hVe one partner and I have had the paragard since July 2013 and I have not had any issues with it except the awful cramps and heavier period. I also have not gotten BV (thank goodness!) I took RePHresh Pro B and it worked wonders. I hope this helps! :)