Paraguard IUD & lower back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Paraguard IUD & lower back pain

Hi.  I had a Paraguard IUD inserted in June 2006.  Since then I have had moderate to severe pain in my lower back EVERY night.  It doesn't bother me in the daytime but at night it gives me fits.  I have seen my chiropractor & my family doctor and neither can seem to figure out what is wrong.  Could it be my IUD?  I'm thinking of calling my OB/GYN but I am so tired of going to doctors!  Any advice?
that's sucks. you mean the IUD has been dislodged in your uterus? does it affect your chances of pregnancy in the future?
Sorry, I didn't wait for the other person to post. Yes, you have to check the string of the iud every month to be sure that it is in place. They can dislodge and travel. Depending where they end up, they can cause scar tissue and interfere with conceiving. Most dr's only put them in women that have at least one live childbirth for that reason.
luckly, mine did not affect pregnancy, i found out a few days ago that im preggo, i was so worried, but as the above poster said, its called preformation of the uterous, basically it pokes a hole or gets "logged" up in there, its very rare tho, and mine was only poking me a tiny bit, it was so painful i cant imagine what it would be like to have a complete preformation
just thought i should add, when scrolling down the posts i didnt completly read the title, i had the mirena, not the paraguard, i dont know how different they are
Basically the same to look at them but the mirena has meds (hormones) injected into in and paraguard is hormone-free. You still check for the string and make sure it's in place.
i had problems with my iud, my doctor was not so willing to believe me and had me keep it in for a month while i was having pain(i had sever left side pain) and he said the iud DOES not cause pain, well when he did in deed take it out, it was lodged up there and poking me in the left side, go figure, but i think you should see your iud doc and make sure its in place, can you feel the strings? my problem started when i could no longer feel them, hope everything goes well and your back feels better!
I have the same problem. I also have an IUD and experience terrible pain during the night. I saw many doctors, did many x-rays of my back and everything seems all right. I have mild lumbago, but most of the people have it. My doctor adviced me to do pilates and yoga exercises to strenghten my abdominal muscles. The pain is persistent during the night- I can not easily turn  from one side to another;  during the day I do not feel anything. Please let me know if you find the reason why you had low back pain. Thank you in advance.
I have been having horrible lower back pain.  Seems to be after i got the Mirena IUD.  Have had every test imaginable.  Gone to the Chiropractor, and Physical Therapy on my back.  I think it is the IUD. THe Doc keeps sayin it is not.  I have had x-rays, CT scans, colonoscopy.  anyone determine it is the IUD yet?
I have horrible low back pain for four years now and have had every test/imaging study imaginable and no explanation for my back pain.  My MRI is near perfect for someone my age.  I have had epidural injections in my back also and they didn't help.  I too have the non hormone IUD and wondering if there is a link.  In addition, the day after I have an orgasm, my back is horrible and trying to figure out if somehow this is all related.  If anyone has had similiar experiences, please post
Hello, My Fiance is 24  and has bad lower back problems.We have a 1 year old son that was born on 3/5/07. After he was born My fiance started experiencing back problems. I remember her getting the iud in after he was born. She has been to alot of doctors and had MRI and x-rays they can't seem to find out what the problem is. She wakes up in the night crying and in pain. She wakes up in the morning in pain. The pain is on and off but very severe. She can hardly take care of our son due to this. She wants to give up and talks about dieing due to the pain. She went to go get the IUD taken out but the cannot locate the IUD. It doesn't make any sense to why they cannot locate the problem. She's 24 and way to young to be having this problem. We really need help from someone because i'm afraid of her giving up. I'm steady looking for some answers. She can hardly do anything due to this back issue she's having. PLEASE, someone give us some helpful information on this. PLEASE someone help
Get it taken out immediately! I had my iud for years and started havind horrible back pain for months! I went to every doctor and finally had it taken out and the backl pain is almost gone ! Susan
wow, i had my iud inserted several months ago, but with my last two periods there began this horrible lower back pain.  I thought it was my kidney.  i hate going to the doctor and have canceled my last two appointments to have it checked out.  but, my pain is worsening it's constant and on both sides...i'm starting to think about having the damn thing removed.
I had the non hormonal IUD put in last May 08 and after a few months my lower back began to hurt.  Having a previous back problem I thought maybe I was not taking care of myself.  Its now been 5 months of therapy, exercise, and meds.  At the time of the insertion, I was healthy and no back problem AT ALL!!  Driving and sitting are horribly painful for me.  I also purchased a new mattress thinking it may help. It doesnt seem to help as much as I had hoped.  My physical therapist cannot understand where the pain is really coming from and suggests that maybe steroid injection may be the solution again.  It is very ftightening and frustrating.  Living with pain affects all aspects of my life.  I have 3 kids, in great physical shape, and 32 years of age.  I should not be feeling like this.  I am considering having it removed after reading the posts here.  I wish everyone the best.
Has anyone come up with anything on this? I'm in the same boat. Never had lower back problems in my life until the IUD Paragard insertion. Now, after standing for an hour or any physical activity, both sides of my lower back feel as if I've been bent over weeding the garden for three days straight. Doc tells me the IUD is in "place", and I tried having a chiropracter loosen me up with little relief. I'm in my 4th month with the IUD, and like others on here, the severe pain started after a couple months with it in. Not likely after two months that it has moved or perforated, but something is going on here that is definitely NOT normal for my body.
I got pregnant two months after my iud was taking.
My lower back is hurting a lot and I am getting cramps in my pelvic area. i mean my lower back pain is real bad. But mu husband said that he felt my strings...I am confused. Should I go see a DR?
Dz anyone have any feedback for me?
I too having been having severe back pain with minor pelvic pain.  Just had an MRI/CT scan which showed nothing of significance to explain why my back hurts so much EXCEPT for the fact that (according to my regular doc) my IUD had ripped a hole in my uterus!  She asked if I was having any irregular bleeding or abdominal pain, but I'm really not.  It's only minor.  Anyway, since reading all these posts, I am now of the opinion that the IUD is causing all of my back problems, weight gain, and minor cramping.  Monday I go to the doc to hopefully get this IUD taken out.  

My suggestion to you would be to get to the doc asap.
I have also experienced this debilitating lower back pain. i first experienced it when i was pregnant. i was about 6-7 weeks along when i suddenly could not sit or stand anymore. i couldn't bend forward at all, either. after a pelvic exam i was told that i had a severely retroverted uterus (aligned towards my back), but they could not say for sure whether the back pain was related to the pregnancy. i ended up terminating the pregnancy and i felt immediately better afterwards. literally, 1 hour afterwards i was walking and sitting perfectly fine - this was after 2 weeks of laying down flat and nearly paralyzed by the lower back pain.
right after the abortion i got an IUD inserted. i had a steady period for about 2 1/2 - 3 months, and it finally stopped recently. i'm now experiencing the exact same pain as before. i'm thinking that i should just remove my IUD as well. it just seems like such a waste of money to just take it out, but i suppose paying for a ton of different tests that are inconclusive would be just as much of a money waster...
I had my IUD inserted on wed 10/14. During the procedure I was told there will be mild discomfort. Everything was ok and was uncomfortable but not terrible. She measured my uterus and said the IUD will fit. So she then proceeded with the IUD insertion. It started out feeling the same as the measuring(mild discomfort and pressure) and then there was a severe sharp pain that instantly sent me into a cold sweat and I felt like I was going to pass out. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, but this was unbelievable pain. I left the clinic thank goodness my bf came with me to drive me home. I was in so much pain I couldnt even speak. I got to our apartment and vomited in the parking lot. I think that happened because the pain was just to much. I sat in the lazyboy for almost 2 hours not moving or talking, only moaning from pain. The pain continued and but diminished some, but still remaining in the uncomfortable zone even today. I feel like something is wrong, so I called my clinic and the nurse scheduled me for tomorrow morning to see the dr. I dont know if I should stick it out or have it removed. I feel bad I just got it in! I feel like its a waste of money and time!
I had the paragard iud for 5 years it did cause me so many horrible probs. I had it removed last year and i am afraid i will never be pain free again Please have it removed its not worth it
I had the paragard and everything was fine until my second period after insertion.  My lower back started to cause me pain but I figured that I must have pulled something etc.  Before I knew it I was dealing with lower back pain everyday for 3 wks.  I was forced to just walk for exercise since the back pain didn't allow me to do much else.  Well one Monday (going on to the 4th week of this) I woke up and was not able to stand because of the extreme pain.  I called my dr. and they gave me drugs...I saw a chiropractor, didn't help one bit.  Had x-rays done, nothing wrong.  The steroids they gave me help some but as the dosage was lowering the pain was getting stronger! So I started trolling the net looking for some other reason and I remember the paragard....I called my OB and the nurse said that it would cause ab. pain but not back pain if my body was trying to expel it.  I wasn't satisfied with that answer so I kept searching and I actually found a few sites (even state sites) that mention lower back pain with the paragard.  Well I decided to have it removed and before hand my GYN mentioned that paragards don't cause back pain...anywho it was removed and in say 2 mins the sharpness of my pain was gone.  I still had pain but it dropped by half. I spoke to my family dr. and he agreed that it makes since that since I have back labor and back pain during periods that if my body was trying to expel the IUD it would cause me back pain and not ab pain.  It's been months since the removal and I'm still working on being pain free.
I've had my IUD for a year and it didn't give me any problem until a week ago. My BF suddenly felt the sting for the first time since I had it put in. I thought it was weird. The next morning my back started hurting like hell!!!. I can still feel the string. but I really had to put my finger way, way in there to find it though. I called the doc today and told him about it. He said to come in and get it checked because IUD might have moved. I probably will have it taken out. Reading about all the potential problems scares me.
I had my IUD inserted Monday July 19th. I felt discomfort when it was inserted. When I got home I started suffering from lower sharp back pain. The pain eventually went away. This Turesday the 27th as I was driving I started with the same pain. I 've called my doctor's nurse and was told that my back should not be hurting. My general doctor had a xray taken of my lower lumbar today. I guess this is part of the process. Hopefully my boday will get use to it and give in.
I got the Paraguard inserted late June.  Now we are in late August and for the past 2 weeks I have been experiening horrible left back pain.  It feels like my kidney.  The doctors ran urine/blood test and didn't find kidney stone evidence.  Since Ibruprophen (600mg) isn't working they are now being to think it is kidney stones.  After a trip to the ER and doctor office they stated the pain shouldn't be from the IUD because it is nowhere in the area of the pain.  What do they know???? I am happy to have found this page with all your experiences.  I will be making an appointment today to have it taken out.  I pray the pain will go away.
I had the mirena iud inserted Sep 17, 2010.  At the time I was also dealing with pain in my right leg from sciatica.  After about 3 weeks after I had the iud inserted, I started having an intense burning pain in my lower back and extreme pressure/pain in the pelvic area.  It felt like when I was having back labor during delivery.  This was also the end of my menstruation.  This pain was only at night, though.  I couldn't sleep in bed, I had to be on the couch against the back or in a recliner to get any relief at all, and that was not much.  I couldn't decide if this pain was related to my sciatica problem.  It just seemed too different and separate.  I never would have thought of the iud except I had just had an MRI and was concerned if the procedure might have affected it.  I found this post and saw everyone's symptoms exactly like what I was experiencing.  I lived with this pain at night for about 3 weeks then decided to have the iud removed.  That night I still had some cramping from the procedure but by the next day my lower back pain and pelvic pain was gone!  It has been 2 weeks now and still no pain.  Seriously consider having it removed if you are having this experience.  I don't believe the pain is worth it.
Five months ago I had the Paraguard put in.  Everything went well up until a week ago.  I thought I was going into labor without being pregnant! EXTREME lower back and groin area pain!  Went to urgent care, the ER twice with 2 CT scans, ultrasound, blood & urine work...the docs were stumped and could not find anything.  Frustrating!  The pain has gotten better over the last four days...but still wake up just at night with back pain, never have had issues with my back before!  Saw an OB doc yesterday and pretty much said that the Paraguard does not cause this type of pain...and that I should take Ibuprofen.   I told her Ibuprofen doesn't help.  She looked at me like I was crazy!  After reading other ladies problems with this I am having mine taken out.  I am listening to my body, and I am sure it is the IUD. It is my husband's turn...he can go get snipped! I will post how my removal goes.  
This is my second Iud. After the first five years I had it replaced. When the doctor used the instrument to measure my uterus it sent a pain down my right side. She had to stop the procedure until the pain went away. After the insertion I only felt the normal cramping. That night when I went to sleep, I experinced the worst back pain ever. I went to the er thinking that I had kidney stones. The er gave me 4mg of morphine sulfate with no relief. They did a CAT scan and X-ray. The IUD is in the right spot they say. They claimed it as back spasms and gave me muscle relaxants. I followed up with my pcp. She in turn said she didn't know why I was experiencing the pain. It only occurs now when I'm lying down.  It has been nine months the pain eased up at one point but has now began to drive me crazy again. Tylenol #3 is the only thing that shops it. I am calling my OB/GYN today to get it removed asap. I think it mY be in the wrong spot.
I wish I would have read all of these comments regarding the Iud prior to my decision to go into the clinic and have one inserted. I had an IUD inserted Sept. 20th. 9 days later I had it removed because I had an awful lower backache that started the day of insert. Since that date I ended up seeing several different Dr''s(pelvic exams, ultrasounds, antibiotics, ct scan,ect) I ended up needing surgery and spent 4 days in the hospital.  The iud gave me a nasty infection. It has been 2 months since the surgery and I still have a lower backache! Does anyone have any advice? I really feel that this iud has destroyed the quality of my life. I seriously feel that it is criminal to insert this product! It needs to me removed from the public!
I started having lower back pain about 8 months ago but never even thought about the IUD as a potential cause.  I'm 50 and I have been in great shape all my life so I just thought it was part of getting old.  At first I went to the chiropractor, but that didn't really help.   The last several months the pain was getting worse and worse.  I couldn't get up from sitting without hunching over - unable to straighten up for several minutes as I worked working through the pain like an old woman!  At night it was so painful just to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, I waited until my bladder ached.  I would actually wake up from pain if I tried to turn from one side to the other in bed.  I thought I was dying I was in such pain and discomfort I was miserable.

Two weeks ago I was lying in bed with the heating pad under my back as was the usual to try to help the pain and I saw a commercial for an IUD.  Somewhere in the commercial was a disclaimer or some mention of the possibility of the IUD coming out of place.  Immediately I thought maybe my IUD is causing me all this pain.  I got on the internet and typed in IUD and back pain, and found this site.  Thanks God I did--you guys especially Johnny Sunshine's post really helped me.   I read all the posts about how the doctors say the pain from IUD is not in the back etc. but Johnny Sunshine's post sounded a lot like what I was going through and as it turns out it was.  The next day I called my OB/GYN and said I needed to come in right away --I was having a  lot of back pain and wanted the IUD removed so I could rule that out as the cause.  

I went in that day and told the doctor about my pain, how I read the posts of others who said doctors say you get abdomenal (abdominal) pain, not back pain etc. but said I want it out so I can rule it out.    After he removed it he said he hoped I would feel better and left the room.  

As I got off the table and began to get dressed, I immediately noticed that lifting my legs to put them in my pants wasn't there.  I could move without intense pain!   I could still feel soreness inside, but it nothing like what I had been going through.  As I was settling up with his front office, I was all smiles--I knew I that the IUD had been the cause and now it was out!  My OB/GYN looked over at me and I gave him the thumbs up.  He came over to me and said, you feel better already?  I said yes--I do.  He said that when he was removing the IUD it didn't come out easily so which is unusal.  He said they usually come out easily but he had to tug pretty hard to remove it--so maybe the IUD was causing me a problem.

It's been two weeks now and I feel fantastic.  I was still a little sore for about 10 days or so.  I think that metal must have really torn me up inside but I'm so happy and pain free.  I just wanted to post my story so others may be helped as well.  Thanks for posting all your stories.  I hope my experience helps someone too.

Thank everyone.
i just read your post and am amazed at the similarity of our symptoms!!!  i have had my IUD in for almost 2 years and have had lower back pain pretty much that entire time.  i NEVER put the connection between my pain and the IUD until a couple of days ago.  i did an internet search and found so many women complaining of back pain and now i'm hoping i found the answer to my pain!  'BounceIt' -  the pain you described is an exact description of my pain!!!  i've been going to the chiropractor for a couple of months now and it has helped a tiny bit but nothing worth mentioning.  i have an appointment on friday to get my IUD removed and i'm just praying this is the cause because i would love to sit on the floor with my kids without back pain!  i read in the paraguard pamphlet that 'backache' is a side affect!  i had no idea!  i knew it was not without risk but i never considered backpain to be a side affect.  i'll keep you posted on my progress after friday.  'BounceIt', thanks again for posting, its so comforting to know i'm not alone and that someone who had the same pain i did is now recovered!
I've had the Paragard IUD for several months and recently started having intense right hip and thigh pain. So bad that I can barely stand up long enough to do a small amount of grocery shopping. There's no way I could tolerate going to the gym, (which I'm use to doing) unless it was to swim or some other activity where I don't have to stand. It hurts to get in and out of the car. And I can't lie on that side to sleep. For me, insertion wasn't TOO painful (I mean, it hurt, but it was tolerable, probably because I took ibuprofen beforehand), but directly afterward, there was a pinching sensation in my right hip. I thought at the time that that was kind of weird. Anyway, I'm 36 and can't see putting up with this the rest of my life. I cant wait til Monday so that I can make an appointment to have it removed. Although, if it were not for this pain, I would keep it, as it is excellent bc, and one of the only non-hormonal methods. I just pray that the pain goes away afterward.
I had very similar issues. I got Paragard one year ago. Did not have problems for about 6 months after I got it. After that period, I started exercising regularly, some days of the week I went to Zumba and some other classes. Around the same time my one and half year old boy jumped on my stomach while playing with me. Since then I started to have unexplainable lower back issues and nagging and sometimes severe, burning pain.

I talked to my doctor and OB/GYN about my issues and both of them ruled out that Paragard could cause such issues. They asked me to use ice pack and Biofreeze to releive the pain or take pain killers. I knew that this was not the answer to my problem and does not address the root cause.

At 33 years I thought I should not be having these problems. I have also been practicing Yoga since my teens. Thanks for these posts, I went back to my OB/GYN to have Paragard removed, and the moment it was removed I felt a difference.

I would never recommend any kind of IUD to anyone.

I had my Mirena IUD for a little over 5 years. It was due to be replaced so I scheduled my appointment and had the old removed and a new one put in on Thurs 6-16-11. With the first IUD placement I had moderate back pain that lasted only a couple days. This time I've been absolutely miserable!! I can't sleep at night, I wake up and have to reset the heating pad and take pain meds! Today is day number 6 and I can't stand it any longer! I can't function!!  I'm waiting on my doctor to return my call about what to do! I'm so glad to have found this forum and to know that I'm not alone!!! I wish you all the best of luck!!!
I've had back pains for like three years like months after my doc inserted the IUD then the back pains went away for a few months but now there back and i've been getting  headace for about the past week dnt know if it's related but I have an app with my doc
thanks to all of you, am experiencing throbbing pain that I thought it was my sciatica for sometime now (starting on my  left butt going down to the back of my left thigh down to the legs) but after my boyfriend had given me voltaren and muscoril injections my pain did not go away,then after analyzing I think its my IUD ( mine is NEO-380). Will see my doctor on monday so I have to be in gruel some feeling for the weekend :(... will keep you posted.
I have had my IUD in for over 2 years. The doctor told me initially that it will feel uncomfortable, but it will go away. It has never gone away.My pain is so severe that at times I cant bend or move at all. I have been in the most excruciating pain for a coupe years and finally decided to do research on it. I am calling my doctor next week to schedule having it removed because reading these have led me to believe that this IUd is the cause of these lower back and abdominal pains. Thank you everyone for posting and really appreciate your input. Hopefully this will resolve my pain and I can enjoy a quality life with my kids and fiance again.
I had my IUD inserted in about 4 months ago and have had severe pains starting around 4 pm and continues through out the night! The pains are llike labor pains and come in waves about every 5 to 7 minutes! Doctor told me to wait a few more months to see if it gets better and gave me a RX for Vicodin! The meds made me sick so he then gave me Promethazine. That makes me so sleepy and irritable the next day! I have two babies to take care of! I am miserable and feel sick about the fact that I may have to take it out and throw away $500 plus dollars!  
I had my Paraguard placed in about a little over a year April 2010. I was on depo before hand for about 10 years and only reason I got off is because of weight gain. I also tried birth cintrol but It made me feel sick and my heart would race. So this seemed like the best idea. Now since Jan. 2011 I have been having HORRIBLE/Burning lower back pain as well as pelvic pain, sometime then pain radiates to my hips and or even my thighs and legs. It last for 3 weeks at a time with one week pain free. My boobs would hurt before my period but I attributed that to being on depo sp long that I'm not used to the hormonal changes. But I've had this pain for a total of 7 months and it does'nt seem to get better but infact worst. I know the obgyn says it can't be the Paraguard IUD. She claims it can be a ovarian Cyst that can result from the IUD now i'm freaked because I just want to get it removed but It was so painful for me to have it put in the first place. But I don't want to continue with this pain. I will have an ultra sound to confirm its not a ovarian cyst next week and I hope to dear God I have nothing more serious but I for sure will have it removed very soon after my period ends. This is the most aweful pain and like some claim it feels like back labor. I'm so disappointed that this wasn't information that I knew if so many woman have this problem. I will never have anything implanted in my body without doing my own research. I went upon information by doctors and because my sister has had one for 5 years with no problems but again everyone is different and I see the majority have hd this problem I speak of. I wish the best of luck to all of you and pray It turns out well and it's nothing serious for me or any of you. God Bless
I've had my paragard iud in for almost a year, everything was okay until about 4 months ago. I started to have lower back pain on the left side that(with crapping) was so bad I can't walk or sit. My husband so very worried so I'm getting it taken out cause I've never had back pain this ever!  I can't understand if this happens to so many women how doctors can say it has nothing to do with the iud. Maybe they think it can't be pin pointed to it. But I would say they should look it over more. Once I get it out I will NOT recommend this to anyone!! I thought it would be better them hormone bc, guess not.
Just want to give my two pennies! I had my t safe copper IUD put in about 2 years ago, i've had them with no probs before... I have suffered with awful what I would describe as 'gnawing' lower back pain that started to become 'burning' lately... it radiates down to my hips and buttocks sometimes and tends to stay for a week at a time then go for sometimes days or weeks. I put this down to  a car crash I had 3 months after I had it put in... but the physio said i sounded more internal... the drs were useless... and so not untl i ended up in hospital with the pain a month ago, thinking it was a kidney infection, it was not... - i realised after being referred to ob/gyn and he said 'let's remove it and see' so it was removed on Tuesday...i dont want to tempt fate....but i juat feel 'lighter' little pain, and  'different' - perhaps it was the blasted thing all along... it would be a relief if it was to be honest, as the pain has at times been miserable and no answers or understanding from anywhere - just frustration!! So glad to read your similar stories, and feel this may finally...have been the problem....
I had my Mirena inserted 3 weeks ago.. Similar to many of you i have pretty severe cramping typically beginning in the evening, and since last night lower back pain.  WHAT DO I DO? I have issues sleeping as it is, and now with the pain it's getting a bit ridiculous.  Should i stick it out? Maybe i'm being a baby, but i'm constantly on the verge of tears now because the pain has been for 3 weeks and no sleep.  I'm a student, so the $400 was a lot to afford, i can't imagine just wasting that kind of money.
Hello. I have had Paraguard for 2 years now (9/09). No obvious issues with it that I was ever too concerned about. I can't exactly recall when my back pain started, but has progressively gotten worse. In the past year and a half, I have pain in the lower right side (close to my ovary) which often radiates to my back around the T11/12 and L1 vertebrae. I too have been to the chiropractor, family doctor, ob/gyn and even recently the acupuncturist. I have also done pain pills, heat therapy and exercise. I am not overweight and am pretty physically active and take vitamins daily.

We have to be our own advocates...... The chiropractor told me that after my second child 3 years ago, my hips started twisting away from my frame, that is what is causing the pain and I needed to spend hundreds on getting it straightened out. My family doctor wanted to do all of the scans/x-rays and ordered bloodwork to check my hormone levels and arthritis. I am 36, everything was low and behold fine. My ob said everything was in place and looked good (as of August '11), so I must be "ovulating", and all tests are good, STD and PID free. I have asked my husband about 100 times, if that is where I got my epidural, and it caused some nerve damage. The answer is always, NO. The acupuncturist wanted to get my energy flowing again, which helped in other areas of my body, but not my pain in my back or front. I have been researching the nerves in the pelvis and which vertebrae they stem from.

I also have had endometriosis 2 times now. I was diagnosed by have laprascopic surgery, in 11/07 and 11/10. Although, my abdomen is tender to touch, I know that endometriosis symptoms are really felt during your period, so that is not the cause of my pain.

I am to the firm belief after reading everyones postings that the IUD is poking/pushing/prodding into my uterus and is putting pressure on the nerves in my back.

I don't know if my findings can help anyone else out. But I do really appreciate everyone else posting their problems, so I too can maybe be pain free someday.

Thanks!!

I have had the Merina in for 2 years...About 4 months after I got it in I started having lower, upper back pain...My neck hurts all the time...I also have had vibrating in the uterus area and a lot of pain in the ovarian areas.Bad mood swings a lot of weight gain...which all these can be caused from the IUD. I have had blood work, xrays, sonograms..and they find nothing wrong...I have told the doc I want it out like 5 different visits and they seem to NOT want to take it out...isnt it my choice? Well they put me on doxycyclin and naproxin to make sure there is no infection or inflamation (inflammation) of the areas well I finished those and I hurt even more! SO COME MONDAY THEY ARE TAKING IT OUT ASAP OR I WILL BE CALLING THE DOCTORS HEALTH BOARD!!!
I just had the iud inserted a couple of weeks ago and for the last two days I've been having some pain on my left side pelvic. I don't feel anything during sex but afterwards my sides starts to hurt. Help me out ladies is this normal
Im 17, no kids, and my planned parenthood gave this too me. Has been nothing but extreme pain for the past week. Its literally paralyzing and sickening.. And my people there gave me no warnings of moving or chances of not having kids, just a paper afterwards.
I just took my IUD out myself (for the second time, the first time it was out of position (for the second time)) I  haven't had much luck with them after the first year or two, but I keep getting them again becaues I have never found another birth control that I trust so much and have so few side effects with . The first two times the IUD fell out of place and was lodged in my cervix so it felt like the same pain you feel when your cervix is dialating when you go into labor (I now have a child so know that pain, and when the first one fell out i described the pain to a friend with children and she said that was exactly the same as dialating).  This time is the first time I have had an IUD and had massive back pain.  I am very in tune with my body and have always known where my pain is coming from and generally why and this time I was so certain it was my IUD!  I knew the pain wasn't from normal back pain as I have been in a lot of car accidents and have had normal back pain frequently in my life.  This was different, lower back difficult to sleep waking up from the pain unable to roll over in the middle of the night, difficulty standing after sitting for long periods of time, but when I'm active all dya without sitting I don't even really notice it.  I just took it out so I'm still not sure 100 percent that the IUD was the cause but after reading these comments it seems that they are all identical to the pain I was feeling.  I sure do hope the pain goes away.. condoms here I come because its certainly not time for a baby yet!
Has your pain stopped yet?  I have the exact symptoms, severe pain in lower right back at night only.  Usually goes away once I'm up and moving in the morning.  I've has the IUD since 4/6/12.  I work very hard so I don't know if it's something I'm doing in workout or the IUD.
i have an iud too an its killing me as we speak i  got it almost a year ago an i havent seen the do since i got it it as if it is stabbing me on my left side of my uterus , but my doc isnt in the same city an i to scared to fined out what is wrong, the pain is soo bad it almost make he throw up i get shiffers and shakey (shaky) .......
Im worried  myself  about the paraguard  I had it put in last otober of 2011  and for three months  when i  get ready to start  a dull pain goes down my leg.. the doctor said it was normal. I had a ultra sound in Jan. of 2012   he said everything was ok  its normal to   have pain when its close.  so  i took his work
recently in april  i started having pain in my  right   back side  i thought  maybe i pulled a muscle or somthing   or slept wrong,  week later  my right ankle was  swollen  and   swelling went up to  my right knee. made it hard to walk on.   i thought  maybe  i was retaining water  or somthing with the swelling going on,  then  few days  later  it felt like  my back was being crushed and very sore,  i kept putting  off going to doctor  until i got  past my finals in school   then   pain and soreness was going into my left side also
i woke up  in morning in pain stiff  very stiff,  i cant  get up my stairs without help. i went to the er   the did xray  couldnt find nothing,  they said i would need  mri   referral from my primary doctor.  i made appointment   he checked  me  out   checked reflexs  he  rulled out  degentive buldging disc   he is think  RA rhumatoid artheritus  but  cant understand  why   my legs  are way they are
he put me on inflamatory medicine to see if it works  but hasnts.   its hard for me to get up off the  couch, without help,  i cant sit  on floor cause  i cant  get up   i cant  get up and down steps without  help   and  just this morning taking  my daughter to school  after  i  got out  of the  blazer  my legs gave out from under me like jelly.
I cryed  for week   what is wrong with my body,  my sisternlaw  thinks it may be somthing to do with paraguard.  I thought i was gonna start few days ago  had light spotting  it  then quit  can paraguard be taken out   without  starting first,  could theses  be the side effects  from the paraguard,  i feel like im losing control  of  motor function  of my  body  and  it hinders me from walking  and  doing things like  i did,
or  could it  be  somthing else causing this?
hi im having the same symptoms also, i have the dull pack pain in the right side and down my leg also had spotting but its stopped and im due my period about now i think this back pain is caused by the coil, at first i thaught i had pulled a muscle but now after reading all these posts im glad im not the only one, iv not been to see a doctor yet but think i will be having mine removed asap.
I had a copper IUD inserted on 7.6.12 at the same time as having a D&C.  I had pain and discomfort following surgery for a few days which was to be expected with light bleeding and then spotting.  In the last couple of days though, my stomach has bloated and I have really bad pains in my lower tummy and my back.  It hurts day and night.  I can't get comfortable in bed, sharp pains when trying to lay on either side and one night the pain woke me up as I must of turned onto my stomach.
I saw my gyno this morning and he did a scan and internal to check the strings and said everything is ok, no perforation or infection.  He thinks my uterus is probably rejecting the IUD.  He suggested waiting another couple of days to see if the pain settles down.  Which I agreed to.  And here I sit in pain.  After reading these posts I think I should just have the thing taken out.  Total waste of time and money.
Hello ladies and concerned gents,

I had my Paragard IUD put in Feb/2012 and for the first few months experienced the pain many of you are describing.  I realized that having a full bladder or full bowels put a severe amount of pressure on my uterus (mine is folded by the way, which was not a very pleasant insertion), so to alleviate this I cleaned up my eating habits, went on a full body cleanse, and started taking Yakult probiotics (you can find this in the yogurt section of Kroger) once a day.

MY SYMPTOMS ARE COMPLETELY GONE AFTER THESE CHANGES WERE MADE.  I feel so much better physically and mentally.  I suggest to any woman to seek emergency help if your pain is abnormally severe, but I do ask that you first evaluate your pain tolerance.  It may also take a little longer but I suggest trying to treat with natural alternatives such as a diet change and managing your bodily waste.  On average most people are irregular anyway, so trying this method is worth a shot.  It worked for me and I'm as happy as a lark.

It sounds like you may have a herniated disk which may have been brought on by your twisting frame.  If so it could have shattered and the fragments could be lodged in your spinal nerves of your back.  It may not show up on an x-ray and surgery is needed to alleviate this.  If you are unable to bend down and touch your toes without pain in your lower back then I doubt the IUD is your issue.  
As always seek medical attention if your condition worsens as I am not a doctor.
Hi, i had my iud inserted after six weeks my girl was born, back in March 2004. Did not have any major problem...yes, painful to insert, but normal. I was bleeding still from normal childbirth and felt that the bleeding after iud insertion was part of the normal as well.
But, in November 2004 i started premenopausal symptoms, i was 36 at the time. Mood swings, migraines, pain, utherine and back pain....did still consider it all normal, frustrating, but normal....doctors said i was fat, needed to lose weight.
After 40 pounds lost, the pain did not go away. But i kept the iud, btw it is paragard.
In 2008 i was swimming three days a week and one day started to notice severe, impossible to walk, crying in the middle of the street pain, went to ER, no findings of any kind....depression with the amount of pain i was having. But doctors told me i was fine, iud in right place, still overweight, and that pain "was on my head" ...
Found an acupunturist that worked for two years on and off on me, it helped but it did not go away.
In 2010 i started having more bleeding, spotting between periods, doctors in another hospital also did not know why. Exams showed that i was NOT premenopausal, so no apparent reason for pain.
Spent 2011 bleeding during periods, so intense sometimes that it looks as i am hemorraging. And i also started to have yeast infections, itchness outside of vagina, besides pain, mood swings and just plain annoyance of feeling helpless with all this, did tons of tests, no medical issue whatsoever...
Now, it is 2012, after eight and a half years of insertion i decided to look further, research the iud because something must be causing all this, i am not crazy!
I have notice that no one mentionned having it in for more than 7 years...its reccommended for ten, i have had for almost 9, so many issues and just now understanding and attributing to the iud.
Finnally found so many women complaining, similar issues.
My husband and i spoke about it, i am having this thing removed and he will have a vasectomy. We have an amazing 8 year old, dont want more kids now.
I am done suffering, hopefully this helps you as it did me. Thank you for posting.
I had dull back pain very painful i kept telling my dr this isn't my usual pain ofcourse they looked at me like i was crazy then finally they did an ultrasound  sure enough the iud was sitting sideways they tried to take it outwith no luck i then went back the next day and after 30 min and let me add it felt like forever and very painful it was taken out and once out the back pain subsided.. So follow your gut and dont give up until you get it taken care of... GOOD LUCK!!
ive had paqraguard  since 2009. definately having it removed asap. when i lay down im almost paralyzed and cannot getup from terrible lower back pain. cant hardly bend foward at all to pick anything up. im 42 very healthy but feel 80 . i gotta get this iud out.
It started with pain in my lower abdomen, i found it hard ti sit , stand, and walk very painful and some discharg too, over all not feeling up to par, had a C.T. Scan they found a two centimeter cyst, may not sound like much but it very very uncmoforable, i take Tylenol for now over the counter, i take it bright when i know the pain is going to become a problem.You should not excercise while having a cyst in the ovary. And walking is important but not  to fast, When I found out I now have an ovarian cyst, surfed on the net to find out about what foods can affect it, I already have Diverticulosis. which has changed my eating habits forever...and now this....to my dismay I say...what A bumber!...this cyst has cut out some of the foods i could normaly eat, and also  juices... ask your Doc abou these things,...but it also did help to look up what can affect this cyst, I have started eliminating certain foods and other things, eggs, white bread, no meats, flour, sugar which is every where, so i am ver careful on that. no Caffiene,sodas,alcohol, the Do's caffiene free Teas, organic fruits and vegies, and more but again See Your Doc.
This is crazy! I just got the Paragard IUD put in approximately four to five months ago and just two days ago I started having severe back pain. At first I thought it was my kidneys which I actually got tested today. I have a gynecologist appt tomorrow. I haven't ever checked the strings but I am going to. I have been in shock reading these other comments because of the enormous similarity in our symptoms! I am so glad I read all this before my doctor appointment tomorrow. I am definitely having this IUD removed!
Thank-you ladies and gentlemen, for all your words!  I'm greatful we have this site to learn from eachother.  I have had the Murina, for 1 year.  I noticed within the year, my back broke out (pimples), sex drive decreased, and feel nauseous, so realized these were side effects from the Marina.  We, husband and I talked, and decided to get it out.  In the meantime, I work out at the gym, my lower back began hurting.  I though I pulled a muscle.  Yet, still hurting.  I used musles relaxer cream, it was not much help.  Went to our Chiropractor, usully feels good right after an adjustment, for a bit felt good, then right back, to this dull, throbbing, soreness.  Went to MD, gave muscle relaxor with terrible side effects.  My lower back pain is still there, its now been 6 weeks. We considered switching from one IUD to another, after searching and reading your comments, We'lll just remove IUD and look into other options.  Thank-you! :)  
Hope this help someone else.