Passing out while pregnant - dr says baby pressing on artery??

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

A friend of mine is pregnant and is not due until the end of November. Apparantly, until now, she's had a normal pregnancy and the baby and she had been doing well. Now, she has had a couple episodes of where she passed out cold. Her doctor said she is carrying the baby so high that it is pushing up against some artery. I think she said against her aorta. Now, I don't know too much about anatomy, but isn't the aorta part of the heart? Could a baby press up against a major artery like this? It sounds pretty dangerous, but the doctors don't seem too concerned at this point, although she is now pretty much on bed rest until due date. Has anyone heard of this? What are the complications? Is she and the baby at risk?
I have heard of passing out because of the baby pressing on viens, but don't know about it being dangerous since it is the aorta. I agree with the bed rest and would think if she stays on her side most of the time it would relieve some of the pressure.
Mandi
i doubt it was the aorta. there is a major vein (i forget the name of it-i want to say femeral but I'm not sure if that is right) that runs from your chest all the way down your body and into your leg. my son pressed on it when i was in my 3rd trimester. it caused me major pain but my doctor did warn it could cause you to pass out. he said it was nothing to worry about but advised me not to drive.. just in case.
Thanks for your comments! That makes more sense. It must be some kind of artery, but more than likely not the aorta. The doctor DID tell her not to drive, so I'm willing to bet it's probably nothing too serious. Thanks again.
Just wanted to add that the aorta does descend down into the abdomen and then branches off into two separate arteries that run through the legs.  A friend of mine had this same exact problem. Her son was pressing on her aorta which caused her to pass out frequently and also caused a lot of pain in her abdomen and legs.  She was put on bed rest and both her and baby boy were fine!

im at the most 2 months preg. and i was getting my dress hemmed up for my wedding tomorrow (well today) and i kept passing out. i passed out 4 or 5 times in a row. what's wrong??
I almost passed out in the shower a few moments ago and decided to do some reasearch. I am only 3 months, so I know it isn't from the baby causing pressure. And my shower wasn't very hot. Leaving me with no other explination.

It turns out, passing out is pretty common durring pregnancy for a few reasons. The main cause of dizziness in pregnancy is due to the rising hormones that cause your blood vessels to relax and widen. This helps increase the blood flow to your baby, but it slows the return of the blood in the veins to you. This causes your blood pressure to be lower than usual, which can reduce the blood flow to your brain, temporarily causing dizziness.

Or it could be from the baby adding pressure to the veins if you are further along, or even from not eating or drinking enough.

This site is where I got the info from. Check it out to read more. It has good advice.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/dizziness.html

i am on my third child and 31 weeks pregnant never had any problems passing out before but today my husband and I were at Lowes picking out wallpaper and all of a sudden i had a major hot flash and next thing i know im on the floor dont even realize im on the floor i dont remeber any of it and ever since then i have had a horrible migraine but my husband says that i didnt hit my head the doctor says its probably just the baby pressing on a vain or something but will this cause my head to hurt and my head to fell funny for hours after the episode? and also why cant i remember anything that happend?
It was Christmas and I had loaded up on a bunch of See's Chocolate I was sent for Christmas. I then set out to meet a friend for lunch and while I was driving, I began to black out very slowly. I fought the entire black out as much as possible, but realized that I had to immediately turn on my emergency lights and pull over or else I would completely black out. I put my seat down for one minute and lied on my back as I used my cell phone to call the friend I was meeting. My friend picked me up and I left my car to pick up later. It was pretty scary. I am not sure what is is, but it could be a number of things. It could be from the sugar intake, as I had no eaten anything. Blacking out is not common for me, so I am a little concerned but when I googled "blacking out while pregnant" it seemed to have a lot of explanations and it seems not to be too serious.
Okay I just went to the Dr. for this the other day because I am pregnant, but I didn't pass out...I almost did. I was cleaning the house ope day and I became very short of breathe and became very light headed and dizzy to where I thought I was going to pass out. I went to the Dr. and sure enough it is the aorta that the baby is pressing on makin it hard for blood and oxygen to flow to the brain which is why you feel like that or even end up fainting. She didn't seem too concerned but I wonder too now just how dangerous it is.
redheadaussie Back in Good old Aus. Soooo... Comment
1 hr ago
redheadaussie commented on redheadaussie's status
1 hr ago
veronica0808 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals