Pea-sized hard spot under skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pea-sized hard spot under skin

Yesterday I discovered a spot on the inside of my forearm just below the skin.  It is not a bug bite or a pimple, is about the size of a pea, and is very hard.  I have always heard that if women discover such a place in their breast, they should be concerned about cancer but it's not anywhere near my breast.  Does anyone have suggestions of what it could be or what should be done?  Thanks.
are you able to move it around, by that i mean if you press it does it disapear and come back? i had a lump on my arm a few years ago and it turned out to be a floating cyst.i could move it around and push on it and it would go away for a few seconds, but i would have it checked just in case
It's something to show a dermatologist, or your family doctor.  

Try posting your question on the Dermatology forum, maybe the doctor there can give you an idea what it might be.
No, it feels like it is attached to the tissue.
I had the same thing exactly, only it was on my upper arm, midway between my elbow and shoulder. It turned out it was a swollen gland (the weirdest swollen gland i have ever encountered). The doctor told me to keep an eye on it and if it was still there in a month or if it was painful, to come back. It disappeared after about 2 weeks.
Is the lump purplish in color like there may be blood in it?
I would highly suggest having it looked at by your doctor as soon as possible. When I get my yearly physical, the doctor always checks for lumps under my armpits as well as my breasts, so it is an area that should be checked regularly for any suspicious lumps.

When I asked my doctor what to look for when doing a self-exam, he said to look for hard, rock-like lumps that do not move around. It is possible that you have a cyst, but cysts are usually soft lumps that move easily and feel like they are just under the skin, not attached to anything.

So I would have it looked at as soon as possible, just to be safe. It is better to have it checked out right away and find out what's going on (if anything), than to waste weeks or months worrying about it and not knowing. If it's nothing serious then you'll have peace of mind knowing that you're okay. If it is something of concern, at least you'll be catching it in its early stages when there are more treatment options available.
Thanks for all of the advice so far...The lump is still there.  There is no color just a bump.  I go to the doctor next month so I will bring it to the doctor's attention then.
should you really wait a whole month? can you get in sooner?
my son a healty 16 year old has a lump the size of a grape at his lower jawline. It is not his lymph node I can fell it. It moves around and it tender to touch. He also said he has not been very hungry lately and some times gets dizzy. He told me all of this last night any suggestions on what this can be?