Pedicures and Pregnancy???
Is it safe to get a pedicure during pregnancy?  I'm about 8.5 weeks along.  I called my doctor and her front desk said it was okay, but I want to know if any of you got pedicures during your first trimester!

THanks for answering my silly question! ;-)
Absolutely!!! I am 7 weeks myself and in my pregnancy for dummies - the 1st trimester video...it says pedicures are fine.  The only thing to make sure of is that the salon is well ventilated so you're not breathing in all the fumes.....but otherwise perfectly safe!
I am currently studying to be a beautician and I got Pedicures done as part of the course thorughout.

As long as you tell the person who is performing the pedicure you should be OK.

If I am not mistaken, maybe you can avoid the foot massage (but not really positive about that).

Alternatively wait until monday and speak  directly to your Doctor.

oh yeah! pamper yourself all u can. Enjoy!
There is no part of a mani/pedi that is harmful to you and the baby BUT - and this goes for folks who are not pregnant as well - make sure that the person doing your nails has thoroughly sterilised their instruments with an autoclave.

I know someone who went to the ritziest place in the city to get her nails done (our version of Sak's) and she ended up with flesh-eating disease because of poor sterlisation!!
I do hair & your feet will be fine, just make sure the place is CLEAN :) Also I've always been told to skip the back massager in the chair (alot of salons have em in the seats while u r getting your feet done)
Hey there my aunt owns a nail shop and i have been getting my nails doen every two weeks since i was 17 and i used to go to the orientals and they were nice and fast but come to find out they dont wash their stuff they use the same files that they use on everyone else if you are in america and can find a shop run by Americans they are useually much safer. (i am not trying to be mean or anything but this is just from my own experience) but enjoy the pedi.
I have had both chair massages and pedicures during this pregnancy.  I've also had my hair colored twice.  My ob reccommended the chair massage because of my headaches.  It does help.  Every Tuesday at 11:30 I'm in that chair.  I've had three pedicures.  My ob approved all of it.  I made sure to ask since I've had 3 miscarriages in the last couple of years.  I am currently 21 weeks.
There is NOTHING better than a pedicure when you're preggo!
I've been avoiding nail polish because of the fumes (especially the fumes and questionability of nail-polish remover on the skin ... if it has toluene in it, that is bad as it is a carcinogen).  Getting your nails clipped and buffed is no biggie, but if it is a place that does the epoxy nails I would avoid it because you don't want to be breathing that.
Don't pay attention to the uneducated musings of ignorance.  If you choose to get a pedicure, the concern is that, in reflexology, the nerve endings from your uterus and reproductive organs terminate around your ankles, and massage in that region can stimulate early contractions and pre-term labor.  Additionally, since pregnant women are six times at greater risk to develop blot clots in the legs, massage or heavy vibrations (from a foot spa bath) can dislodge them and cause cardiac or pulmonary embolisms (resulting in heart attack or death).  Simply avoid these options of the pedicure.  Why take a chance?