Pelvic Pain- below belly button- hurts to move, can't walk sometim...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pelvic Pain- below belly button- hurts to move, can't walk sometimes

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. Recently I've been having terrible pain that comes out of no where. I've tried looking it up on google but nothing seems to fit. When it comes, it's a few inches below my belly button, extending down into vagina. It's not a burning feeling--it's more of an ache or stabbing/pulling pain. It's gotten so bad at times that I can't walk or stand up straight, no position makes it go away. I feel pressure and pain when I need to tinkle, and while I am, and after. Sometimes before the pain in the center starts, I feel what kind of feels like cramps on the left side... it kind of migrates down. I really hope some of this makes sence to someone. I'm 20 years old, and have no insurance yet. I am hoping someone else out there knows what this is. Thank you all for your time in reading this, I look forward to hearing back from you.
Could you be pregnant?  Ever have a urinary tract infection? Are u sexually active w/out protection, i.e., at risk for std's?  It could be alot of things.  I think you may need to call your gyno.  Usually they will have a telenurse at the offices that can provide you some insight on what may be happening, while you make an appt.  If not, their are Planned Parenthoods that can be resourceful.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have had a UTI before, and this is nothing close to it. I am sexually active, with one person, and he has been tested and is clean of STD's. I don't think I could be pregnant, and if I were would this be happening so early? I just had my rag from about 8/10 to 8/14... right on track. Thanks again for getting back to me, I think I should take your advise and see someone about this. Hopefully my school has some sort of program. Thanks again, it's really nice to have someone to talk to.
it could be IC which cause alot of pain it makes you feel as if you always have to pee even if you just went you get alot of pain. the best bet is to go to a specialest. but what it is, is you are misses parts of the musuc linning so you are in alot of pain and it makes you pee alot. it took me four years to find out what was wrong with me, they though it was just a bad bladder infection.
i'd check to see if it's a bladder infection.  try looking in your local phone book to see if you have a free clinic nearby.
IC will come back look like its an bladder infection they gave me meds for year thinking thats what the problem was but it wasnt its IC. Do you feel burning when you pee if so then its a bladder infection if not then it could be IC.
hello, I'm someone a female with the same problem. I was looking across the net to see if I could get any information and help. Unfortunately i didn't but came across your article. if you did get help about the situation could you please help me. Anyone please am only 19.
You need to see a Urologist. It sound like Interstitial Cystitis. It's a painful bladder Disease. I have it. It took roughly 4 yrs to get Diagnosed. Not all Urologists know about IC, so when you call one, make sure they know what it is. A Cystoscopy w/ hydrodistension can DX it. This has to be done under general anesthesia, otherwise it would hurt like heck. I have all  your symptoms and more. It's very disabeling and right now I cannot work because of too much pain. I hope I'm not scaring you. Dont waste time seeing a Urologist, it can take time to DX this. Good luck.
Hello.  Do you know if children get IC?  My son is 8 years old.  For 2 years now, he has been having severe pain below his belly button in the middle of the abdomen.  I have taken him to the doctor more than once and they find nothing.  It's strange because it only happens every couple of months but when it happens, it's bad.  He can't sit or stand straight and has to unbutton his pants.  The doctors check his urine each time and find nothing.  They almost seem to think he might be faking it.  I know he's not because it usually happens when he's having fun not when he's trying to get out of something.  Also I can see how much pain he is in.  His pain usually only lasts a few hours per episode but once it went on for an entire day.  He does not feel burning when he pees and there are no other symptoms besides the pain.  

I read your post because I am searching about the same thing about my recently turned 11 yro.  This is his first "episode" and I don't know what to do because there is no other syptoms (symptoms) and it doesn't radiate to the left or right.  It's just straight down from his belly button.  When ever I try to touch it he about jumps out of his skin.  I'm thinking I might need to take him to the ER but I don't want to jump into that and at the same time I don't want anything, of course, to happen if it's something serious. We are not "Dr" people; using alternative remedies but I don't even know what to think of this.
Could it be a hernia.....a friend of mine got one right under her belly button when we were around age 12 and it was sometimes very painful for her until she had it removed.
I have had that same pain under my belly button for years, and it only happens a couple times a year, and lasts a few hours to a day. Im 26, very active and in shape. I have also had two inguinal hernias in my early twenties. I was also wondering if this pain could be another type of hernia. The pain shoots down from the center of my belly button and it burns terribly to stand up straight, breath deep, or arch slightly back.
I have been diagnosed with adenomyosis which causes pain somewhat like you're describing.  It's very painful, but it usually only happens right before and during my period.  During a pelvic exam, your doc will be able to feel if your uterus feels "boggy" or spongy.  It's a buildup of scar tissue between the uterine walls.
I have this bad pain under my bellybutton as well. I have this bad habit of playing with the inside of my bellybutton and scratching it lightly until my bladder is full and I have to use the bathroom. It sounds GROSS but its become a daily thing when Im studying, hanging around the house doing nothin. I even went so far as to cut my nails to the numb to I wouldnt play with it. Do you think this habit is the cause of my pain???
I have had the same exact pain for a few years now & I'm only 18. Its really random and happens like once every 6 months. When it happens it last like a few hours and i can't stand up strait to save my life. If I push under my belly button it hurts like hell. Recently i was diagnosed with Medullary sponge kidney (MSK). I don't know if these two things are related but you never know. I thought i was like only one with these strange pains, glad to see I'm not the only one. I always tell my mom it feels like i pulled something connecting my belly button and my lower pelvic area almost to my vagina, but she never gets it.
I have just about the same symptoms as everyone else; pain below the bellybutton to the pelvic area, the pain worsens when I stand or move in different ways, pushing on my stomach hurts, it happens once a month maybe, and it lasts for a few hours. The only thing I don't have is a burning feeling when I pee. If anyone gets any more info on this, please keep posting.
Well, just yesterday after using the bathroom I quickly changed into my gym clothes and was about to walk out when the pain started! IT feels like its right under my bellybutton all the way down to my vagina, and I peed more than 10 times after that pain started, someone told me it might be an infection, i've had this pain before like 2 -3 times a year, but this is the longest it has ever lasted, its been 24 hours now! And I do have a BAD pain when i pee!!!! it feels like my muscles are sooo tense and dont want to loosen up! So its not a burning feeling! but its muscles pain! very weird, i will be seeing a doctor soon...and will let u all know what happens..

I dont know what to do!!!
I would see a medical professional.  I have had several urinary tract infections over the past few years and NEVER had a burning sensation when urinating.  I had other pain, pain in my lower back, pain in my lower abdomen (left side) and a throbbing sensation, but never burning.  I would definitely get that checked out.
My 10 yr. old daughter just told me today that she is having that pain and it runs from her belly button down to her pelvic area and it only happens once or twice a year.  She said she was stretching and got the pain which made her lay down real fast because it hurt so bad. She is famous for not going pee when she has to she just holds it as long as she can to the point were she almost pees her pants so I am wondering if it is a urinary tract infection. If we find something out from the doctor we will let everyone know but from what I have read on other posts it doesn't sound like the doctors know.
hi all

I am new to this forum I was using google to find out if anything was out there that can help me with this pain that I have behind my bellybutton, I am 44 years old and a mom of 4 there all almost adults now, I have had this pain since I was maybe give or take 16 years old, I was too scared of doctors so I never told anyone till I got really sick when I was 21 I went to the emergency room and they admitted me right away cuz I was dehydrated, they just called it a stomach virus gave me fluids and sent me home nothing took the pain away but I kept quiet the pain got out of hand when I had my last son as soon as I had a tubal ligation coming out of it I was screaming in pain, they gave me all kinds of pain killers and nothing helped not even morphine, so far I have had 4 major surgerys it started with pain under my foot arch it felt like the bone wanted to stick out I am terrified of doctors so I didnt go right away, then of course it got worse, from my knee to my ankle was getting numb, finally the pain was so bad that I was crawling to the bathroom thats how bad it was, sharp electricity going down my legs, the doctor I was going to for more than ten years told me it was all in my head and I thought I was going nuts, when I was unable to walk I went to another hospital and they did a mri and found that I had 4 herniated discs and that L5 had to be removed as an emergency, I was so upset I trusted my doctor and because of him I am disabled now, I can walk but I am in so much pain that I can barely move, I take 250 percocets a month and it barely does anything, my doctors say that I am pain tolerent , something like meds dont take the pain only a bit and that is killing me right now,

I know I went off the subject for the bellybutton but I do have serious pain I have to lay from side to side, the doctors thought it was IBS and gave me amatiza and it took away one problem but I still have serious pain under my belly button, the docs checked me took cat scans, xrays you name it and found that my gall bladder was a bit bad so they told me a lil surgery making 2 holes on both sides and that was it but of course nothing is what it seems, as I woke up I had my surgeon holding me in his arms and told me that I was very lucky, my gall bladder was so bad that it was gangrene they had to cut me from side to side huge cut but that I was going to be ok thank goodness and he couldnt believe that I was going through all that pain and was dealing with it

no pain under my belly button for a few weeks and it came right back with a vengence, I just had a Hysterectomy july 2 and I thought that was it the pain would finally be over and nope, it went away for a few weeks then boom back to pain I have no idea what to do I have checked to see if I have urine infection and that wasnt it, I have no clue what to do but to keep on going to doctors my body looks like a jigsaw puzzle and the pain wont let me walk I dont know what to do anymore

but please dont give up keep asking questions if one doctor cant help keep trying, I hope you will find the answers that you need, I dont wish this pain on my worst enemy

let me know how it all pans out

good luck I will be praying for u and all with this horrible pain

god bless

cindy
I also have experienced this. I have only had it happen a handful of times since I was about 16. I am now 25. The way I describe it to people is it feels like a string is attached to the inside of my belly button and like it's trying to be pull my belly button out through my vagina. Cant stand up straight, and it worsens when peeing. I have no idea what it is but this is the first time I have seen others with what sounds like the same thing. Sometimes it is worse then other times.
I have just gone to the hospital again for the pain behind my bellybutton and since all the surgerys its still happening they looked up all my charts and found that I had a hernia near my belly button for 2 years now I asked them why didnt they tell me and they told me that it looked to small to be that painful, so now I am going back to get another ct and check it out then they said another surgery might be necessary I almost fainted, the last surgery was hell for me because I am pain tollerant something like that meaning that pain meds dont help at the end of my stay in the hospital they gave me a feratol drip which I can use every 6 min when I had pain and that was when the pain finally calmned down now im terrified to go through this again, I will post with news when I get my ct done
I have been bleeding old and new blood as well as brown discharge for the last 3 months down below (fornt not back). I am 31 and was wonderign what this could be at my age. I am tired and my stomach is bloating a lot. A year ago I had 9 kidney/bladder infections out of the blue but they stopped this year after not eating milk and sugar products.anymore. I also have undiagnosed swollen lymph glands under my arms and in my groin I was tested for all diseases but no cause was found/diagnosis last year. Do you know what this blood loss now is. Could it be to do with a cyste which I have on my left ovary which became smaller so they did not do any follow-ups on it? What can cause stomach bloating and this very dark brown discharge  and release of new and old blood when it is not the time of the month? Thank you
I cant tell you guys how good it is to see that im not alone in this subject! i've been to the doctor numerous times and they dont know what it is no matter how i explain it. i always tell them its like my belly button is being tugged on through my vagina and i'll have these sharp pains by what feels like my left ovary. im 19 and have been having this problem for two years now and quite frankly i just wish it would go away. at least now i know im not crazy! if anyone knows what this could be please let me know!
ditto britterbop.

I'm 18, almost 19.
this is the second time I've felt this pain
like right in the middle between my belly button and my vagina...and it hurts..
the first time I remember this pain (it's very distinct), my dad took me to the ER and they said it was probably just my period starting -_-
although this doesn't usually happen..
I wish it would go away too..
better yet I wish I knew what it WAS
there seems to be a lot of answers here..idk what is is...if it goes away then I wont pursue it..I guess I can deal with something this painful if it only happens once in a blue moon.
I have had this exact same experience.  The pain started when I was high school age, and has happened a few times a year since.  I am now 23.  I have been seen a doctor for the pain, and she does not think it is anything to worry about.  She asked me to track the pain in relation to my menstrual cycle just to see if there is any relation. They have ruled out ovarian cyst.
A month ago I had laparoscopic surgery to see if I had endometryosis. Thank goodness it was an ovarian cyst rupture which was the size of a rock. Since the surgery, I have been exepriencing pain below my belly button, extending down into the vagina. When I pee it stings and it hurts to wip. Sometimes, the pain in the vagina feels like if you ride a bike and you hit a speed bump, and your vagina rubs up against the trainglular seat and you have that annoying and umbarable stinging pain. Sometimes, I can't walk or stand due the pressure and abdominal pain. I have cramps on the lft side and it migrates down. I have been to a urologist because I get UTI's frequently and blatter infections and the last urinarlysis showed crystals in the urine. When I saw the urologist, he said everything looks normal. The OBGYN said I look good too. Mean while, I am in pain and my husband is getting restless. I'm 25 and he's 26. We've only been married 6 months and saved ourselves for each other and here we can'te even enjoy sex. I am begging anyone for some answers, PLEASE!
iv god the same pain but its all the time, i also have back pains, and it stings when i pee.i dont know what it is, i am 16 HELPP!!
I see we all have pain out there.

I'm 40...over the past several months I have had a lower abdominal pain which usually starts on the right and works itself across the rest of my lower abdomen.  Its a pulling, tugging, burning pain which travels into my lower back.  It's hard for me to lay flat when sleeping.  The pain is usually worse in the morning after I've been up about 20 minutes it kicks in...can't bend over without my insides feeling like they are going to fall out.  As the day goes on it usually gets better...but not always.  I can't even walk more than 20 minutes or shop on days its really bad.  I've had female issues my entire life and had laproscopic surgery in my 20's for endometriosis.  I've never had kids.  My periods are long and heavy...crampy and can even make me sick to my stomach.  I did a ton of research on line and basically have diagnosed myself to death.  I saw the doctor last Monday thinking just maybe it was a UTI...came back clean, but was put on cipro and something that made my pee flaming orange.  The doctor was going to send my pee out to the lab and see what it came back with.  After four days I was told my sample was contaminated.  I finished my cipro this week and feel the same.
Last Wednesday I saw my GYN who did an exam and thought it might be IBS (doubt it) or not, she mentioned she thought my uterus was a little large and according to my chart I do have some small fibriods.  I'm scheduled for an utlra sound at the end of the month.

I'm due for my period any day now so I feel crappy....back aches...if anyone has a clue I'm up for listening.
I just wanted to say I had this pain when I was pregnant and they KEPT telling me I had a UTI and gave me antibiotics but then the culture would always come back negative.

Guess what....finally found out it was kidney stones! I thought it was something older people got. It happens every once in a while. I guess they can move around and not always pass causing a similar discomfort or they are passing through the urethra but are very small so probably not noticable. An ultrasound showed this. They also said as someone else mentioned I possibly may have medulary sponge kidney....but there is nothing you can do about that.

Anyway, I am fit and healthy and 31. It happened only maybe once or twice a year as well except more during pregnancy.
adhesions from laporosopys  ripping tearing  for me dehydration knife  poking my butt , pricker pain urethera  candidia .. try probiotics, yogurt try avoiding wheat celiac, i have wheat food sensitivites and alot of my IBS symptoms are  gone diet sugar makes alot symptoms .. my surgery rt salping oopherectomy, hysterectomy appendectomy  at 30 yrs dx adenomyosis  gallbladder removed.. full of polyps hypo plastic? 42 yrs gastritis hiatle hernia gastric hypoplastic polys 2 surgerys  benign chronic diarrhea  stopped with gluten free menu.. vit d dangerously low b12 low 125. normal 200? hypo thyroid symptoms multi goitor on synthyroid..
I am having these pains described right now and for a few days but it happens every so often not to sound gross but went to the bathroom yesterday and after that it hurts more could be cause I didnt finish cause i held it to long through out the day at work and am constipated The pains are below my belly button if i push it really hurts and feels like i have period cramps even if i dont touch it but I dont have my period it also hurts towards the left like my side kinda is and when i sit i get shooting pains in my butt. I think its from IBS and the pains are in my intestants i read alot of comments posted and I didnt see taht anyone came up with this conclusion so I thought to throw it out there I am going home and taking a enema or a laxative and should be fine after
hi lee802  did you see my posts? i just found this article.. try chiropractor is one suggestion on here, try wheat free menu i feel better if its an IBS, blood test for celiacs, chrones  diease is possible see gastroenterologist?

Pudendal nerve entrapment

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pudendal nerve entrapment (PNE) is a source of chronic pain,
in which the pudendal nerve (located in the pelvis) is entrapped or compressed.[1] Pain is worsened by sitting,
and can include prickling, stabbing, burning, numbness, and the sense of a foreign object in the urethra, vagina, or rectum. In addition to pain,
symptoms can include sexual dysfunction, impotence, anal and urinary incontinence.

Contents [hide]
1 Causes
2 Treatment
2.1 Physical Therapy
2.2 Corticoids treatment
2.3 Surgical
3 External links
4 References

[edit] Causes
PNE can be caused by pregnancy, scarring due to surgery and accidents. Anatomic abnormalities can result in
PNE due to the pudendal nerve being fused to different parts of the anatomy, or trapped between the sacrotuberous
and sacrospinalis ligaments. Heavy and prolonged bicycling, especially if an inappropriately shaped or incorrectly positioned bicycle seat
is used, may eventually thicken the sacrotuberous and/or sacrospinous ligaments and trap the nerve between them, resulting in PNE.

[edit] Treatment
[edit] Physical Therapy
There are stretches and exercises which have provided reduced levels of pain for some people.
There are different sources of pain for people since there are so many ligament, muscles and nerves in the area.
Sometimes women do pelvic floor exercises for compression after childbirth. However, there have been cases where
the wrong stretches make the constant pain worse. Some people need to strengthen the muscles, others should stretch,
while for some people it is purely neurological. There have been cases where doing stretches have helped bicyclists.
A helpful stretch for some is bending over and touching your toes. Another stretch includes bringing your knee to your chest
on the compressed side while laying on your back. One more possibly helpful stretch for bicyclists include sitting in the lotus position
and moving your head to the ground supporting yourself with your hands and keeping your buttocks up. Stretches should not be held long (about 8 seconds)
and be spreadout through the day. Acupuncture has helped decrease painlevels for some people, but is generally ineffective.
[citation needed] Chiropractic adjustments to the lower back have also helped some patients with pudendal nerve issues.

[edit] Corticoids treatment
Alcock canal infiltration with corticosteroids is a minimally invasive technique which allows for pain relief and could be tried when physical
therapy has failed and before surgery.

[edit] Surgical
Decompression surgery is done primarily in Nantes, France; Aix-en-Provence, France; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Phoenix, Arizona; Lake Elmo,
Minnesota; Baltimore, Maryland; Santa Monica, California; Houston, Texas; Switzerland; Belgium; Nashua, New Hampshire; and in Egypt.
The validity of decompression surgery as a treatment and the existence of entrapment as a cause of pelvic pain are controversial.
While certain doctors will prescribe decompression surgery, others will not. Notably, in February 2003 the European Association of Urology
in its Guidelines on Pelvic Pain said:

the reality is that pudendal nerve neuropathy is probably only a likely diagnosis if the pain is unilateral, has a burning quality and
is exacerbated by unilateral rectal palpation of the ischial spine, and the pudendal motor latency is delayed on that side only.
However, such cases account for only a small proportion of all those presenting with perineal pain and the proof of the diagnosis
resting on relief of pain following decompression of the nerve in Alcock's canal is rarely achieved.
The value of the clinical neurophysiological investigations is debatable; some centres in Europe claim
that the investigations have great sensitivity (1,2), while other centres, which also have a specialized interest
in pelvic floor neurophysiology, have not positively identified any cases.[2]

Three types of surgery have been done to decompress the pudendal nerve: transperineal,
transgluteal, and transichiorectal
. The results on pain are very similar (around 60% of cure). Impotence, anal and urinary incontinence can also be cured by these procedures.

[edit] External links
PNE web forum and community
Pudendal Help
Pudendal.com by Groupement Européen de Périnéologie
Society for Pudendal Neuralgia
Pudendal.info: PNE Web Community
Treatment and Diagnosis of Pudendal nerve clinical syndromes
Living with Pudendal Neuralgia Book
[edit] References
^ Filler, AG: Diagnosis and treatment of pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome subtypes: imaging, injections,
and minimal access surgery Neurosurgical Focus DOI: 10.3171/FOC.2009.26.2.E9.
^ European Association of Urology, most recent guidelines (downloadable PDF on Chronic Pelvic Pain is the first item in the list).
Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003 Jun;82(6):479-84. (PMID 12820792)
Eur Urol. 2005 Mar;47(3):277-86 (PMID 15716187)
Clin Exp Neurol. 1991;28:191-6. (PMID 1821826)
BMC Surg 2004, 4(1):15 full text
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudendal_nerve_entrapment
hi, im having the exact same pains as everyone else. i have gone to my doctor many times and we have done many tests. ive had this pain for almost 2 years now. i cant take it anymore. i miss so much school because of it. its to the point where my parents think im faking it because i say its hurts so much. im so wondering what it is. please help me on what to do :(
by the way, im only 18 years old
Hey guys! i have recently been getting this really bad pain below my belly button it feels as though its pulling from my vagina. its a really sharp shooting pain. it started probably about 6 months ago but is now getting so much worse, it used to come on once every 2 weeks or so and is now here at least 2 times a week! As soon as it comes on i have to stop everything and go and lie in bed it seems to be the only way to get rid of it for a while. im currently unemployed but its preventing me from doing alot like going out with my friends and having a good time. And im only 18 :(   I feel alot better now having read this to see it's not just me suffering with this pain and it also seems to affect alot of young people like myself?

i also missed a period this month but please note i couldnt possibly be pregnant as me and my boyfriend havnt had sex in forever as it hurts so bad.. hope someone might know what this is!!!
I'm only 17, and this is my first really bad episode with this same problem.
Does it usually last all day?
After starting birth control last year, I only got it on my period, and it only lasted at max 10 minutes in short spasms.
Now, I've had it since last night, it woke me up in the middle of the night, and it's now 4pm and it STILL has not subsided.
I have taken ibuprofen, and it has not helped.
For all you girls out there that have had it longer than I have, does it usually last all day? Longer than a day?
I had to miss school and call of work today because it is so bad.

I have read alot of forums about this, and these things all seem to be contributing factors to the pain:
-Birth Control
-Sexual Intercourse
-Lifting Heavy Objects
-Going to the Bathroom
-Sweet and Sugary Foods
-Surgeries that DO NOT Help

These are some things that help:
-Laying on your Side
-Eating Healthy
-Mind Over Matter (sad to say)
-Sleeping
-Tea
-SUPPORT!

I hope one day someone can find us girls an answer. I don't want to have this for the rest of my life!
I am having odd pains shooting around myself, i had to go see the chiropractor he said one of my hips was out of whack  and my Sacrum he stretched and pulled  massages deep heat and alot of those shooting pains stopped, he said the muscles are pinching on a nerve, all these nerves run thru hips to your groin to your legs, drug free  treatment can't hurt, to try... i am now growing painful fatty beads lipomas, dercum disease is my guess , this can be pressing on a nerve making us miserable, as they can grow inside or outside of our organs getting ultrasound FRI see whats happening, pain pressure in groin walking, 8 hr day kills me...
I forgot to say i had a doppler done making sure it wasn't blood clots in my groin causing my weird symptoms so , now the ultrasound, then possible surgery , 1 injections to shrink fatty beads, 2. lipo suction, 3. surgery i have to worry about sarcoma lipoma for deep painful lipomas..  oh i just heard BOTOX is being used now, it was on TV, for painful perioids?
also supplement DHEA is being used for hormones,  if we are lacking one of them.

Hello - I am having some of the same pains mentioned.  My lower ab hurts a lot.  I can not sit, stand up straight, or even walk.  Just changing positions while laying in bed is very difficult.  It also hurts when I take a deep breath or cough.  The pain sometimes spreads to my sides and back as well.  Has anyone recently gone to the docotor for anything like this and have any additional feedback?  I am afraid to go to the hospital or docotor as I feel they will just say it is gas or cramps from my menstrual cycle.
Thanks!
my name is jenna.ive been having very bad stomach pain i cant walk and my lower back hurts and ive been to the hospital twice they dont no wats wrong with me any suggestions??
ineed help
please comment me back
I'm 19 and i've had similar symptoms for around 3-4 years.  

It feels like there is a string running from the inside of my belly button down to my vagina and like that string is being pulled tight, and when I try to straighten out or breathe in too deep i get a sharp stabbing pain.  It doesnt make me have to go to the restroom, and when I've tried to 'go' it doesnt alleviate any of the pain for me.

this only happens to me like 3 times a year tho, but i've noticed that it usually happens to me (whenever it does happen) within a hour or so after eating, or when i've been sitting curled up in a ball for way too long. Strangely it ALWAYS happens to me after eating plain peanut butter by the spoonful.  

I've had a stomach ulcer before and multiple UTI's and this is very different, and I'm in a stable relationship and I've been tested for STD's.

If i go to the doctor, i will definatly post any results i get back
hello everyone...i have been reading everyones post and I have been doing reserch on lower abdominal pain do to my girlfriend just recently started haveing all these same things happing to her...well i have came to the conclusion that she has Interstitial Cystitis....

here is some imformation i found on IC...i hope it is useful to u all...

Interstitial cystitis (in-ter-stish-uhl sĭ-stī'tĭs), or as we call it, IC, is a condition that consists of recurring pelvic pain, pressure, or discomfort in the bladder and pelvic region, often associated with urinary frequency (needing to go often) and urgency (feeling a strong need to go). It can also be referred to as:

■painful bladder syndrome (PBS)
■bladder pain syndrome (BPS)
■hypersensitive bladder syndrome (HBS)

symptoms of IC

Symptoms of IC differ from person to person and may even vary in the same individual over time. Some or all of these symptoms may be present:
■Urinary frequency
■Urinary urgency
■Pain

Urinary Frequency
Patients with IC may experience day and/or night frequency of urination (up to 60 times a day in severe cases). In early or very mild cases, frequency is sometimes the only symptom.

Urinary Urgency
The sensation of having to urinate immediately, which may also be accompanied by pain, pressure, or spasms.
Pain
In the lower abdominal, urethral or vaginal area. Pain is also frequently associated with sexual intercourse. Men with IC may experience testicular, scrotal and/or perineal pain, and painful ejaculation

diagnosising IC is difficult do to the fact that there is no none test that can idetify IC...that is why it is widely overlooked by doctors and alot of doctors dont even know about IC...

Because symptoms are similar to those of other disorders of the bladder and there is no definitive test to identify IC, doctors must rule out other treatable conditions before considering a diagnosis of IC. The most common of these diseases in both sexes are urinary tract and bladder cancer. In men, common diseases include chronic prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome. IC is not associated with any increased risk of developing cancer.

Once other conditions are excluded, patients with characteristic signs and symptoms generally are treated for presumed IC. In certain circumstances, some clinicians may choose to evaluate further, with cystoscopy with hydrodistention under general anesthesia, urodynamic studies, or lidocaine instillation. The diagnosis of IC in the general population is based on the

■presence of pain related to the bladder, usually accompanied by frequency and urgency
■absence of other diseases that could cause the symptoms

alot of this information i pulled of a website i found...its www.IChelp.org...

give it a look and see if that is what is causing everyones discomfort and pain....

I hope this was helpful...

I'm a 36 year old man and have had this sharp pain from my belly button to my penis since I was a small child. It only happens a couple times a year and I haven't found any type of regularity to it at all.

I can't stand up straight, stretch, or take in a deep breath or else I'll be in severe pain for a few moments. If I stay slightly hunched over, I'll be fine but I can still feel the pain, slightly.

I don't have any burning sensations when I pee. It has nothing to do w pregnancy, a urinary tract infection, or my ovaries like I've seen suggested here. I'm not sure what it is.

It feels like I have a cut along some blood vessel or nerve that goes from my belly button to my penis and when I stand up, the "cut" is being pulled open, allowing urine inside. I imagine it being like a fresh cut on your arm. When the skin is closed, it feels fine. if it gets pulled open and salt or peroxide is put on it, the pain is awful. The same happens here. The wound or opening is exposed to urine, which has ammonia in it, which is probably painful.

I don't know anatomy very well, so I'm not sure that it's a blood vessel or a nerve, or something else. But it makes sense to me and I've tried explaining this to other people and they look puzzled. It's not debilitating and never lasts a long time, so I don't think it's serious.

Any thoughts?
A regular gynecologist should be able to diagnose prolapse by simple examination.  However, if you find out you do have some type of prolapse, you don't need a urologist.  You need another type of specialist.  One who deals with women's issues.  You require a Urogynecologist.  Make sure they're good and have done procedures many times.  Also, should you require surgery, read up on slings and graphs.  There have been many problems with them and the FDA recently published warnings about certain ones.  Good luck to all.  I, too, will be having surgery and am hoping my problems will be addressed and eradicated.  Look on the Dr. Richard M. Wood website and read what he has to say about pelvic floor disorders in women.  Women don't generally experience prolapse unless they've had children -- especially if it was a traumatic birth or if they have lifted heavy objects.  Prolapse is a hernia. Good luck to everyone.
I get a charlie horse like pain , in abdominin after i squat down to do something for a few minutes, I have to do the la maz breathing,and rubb the area for it to relax  we are pinching off the blood flow some how( perhaps our fat) causing a muscle cramp WEAK abdominal muscles is my guess,, so don't forget our muscles need lotsa water , and we deplete our potassium and magnesium which in turn we get muscle cramps, so I would try drinking gatorade or vit water  and see if your symptoms change, I also swollow magnesium supplement and take a vit w/ mineral supplement, if I am sweating and working hard, of course we can have other medical issues,I have thyroid issues, food allergies, intolerences, IBS IBD  try drinking metamucil like products it works, for alot of issues,  But I found dietary changes do wonders, and LIMIT your whole grains, I am a gluten free wheat free menu and my abdominal pain is less frequent
I'm 16 and I've been having this pain since I was pretty young. Every couple of months I get a sharp pain that seems to be attached from my belly button to my pelvic area. It starts out dull and once I go to the bathroom, the pain becomes MUCH more intense to the point that I can barely move. I have to lie in bed hunched over and the slightest movement will hurt until the pain fades, which usually takes about an hour, more or less. I've told my mom about it but I've never gone to a doctor because it seems too obscure to be diagnosed. I'm so glad to see there are other people who have this I've been really worried.

I'm not pregnant (obviously not related since I've been getting this pain even pre-period) and I doubt it's an infection since I've been getting this pain for years and never had treatment, and I'm still alive haha.
I've had the same exact pain happen to me ever since I was in 7th grade and started playing basketball or any vigorous sport. I've been to several doctors and none had a good explanation. However, I noticed that I've never gotten the pain if I was properly hydrated. I think it's a muscle cramp due to poor hydration.
I have a sharp pain under my belly button and sometimes it occurs above my rectum when i tighten up my adomen. it comes and goes randomly. i think it might be a UTI but i dont know. so if anyone thinks they can help me, please let me know! thanks.
my girlfriend has had these pains around  the mid pm hours for two days in a row about 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm has anyone ever had something simlar for two daysit's been a sharp pain anyone please im desperate for answers ill get on tomorrow  or later today and see any replies im just worried ive been up sine 3 worrying and it's 4 30 right now
I'm having these problems too. Today it started after holding a pee for a couple of mins and having strong like pulling pain/discomfort. When I peed, it was still sore, so i tried to stretch out my tummy, bad idea, hurt really bad. I thought I was going to go off to the hospital. It dulled a touch after sitting for a while, but I knew there was still a slight pulling pain from under my belly button to my pelvis. It feels like my urethera or something..
I sneezed, and it gave me a sudden pulling pain again which lasted a few mins then dulled again.

It's about 12 hours since, and its not sore but I can still feel a slight pulling..

I have the same exact pain as everyone else.  Feels like a string pulling from my belly button.. I use to get it a lot when I was a teenager and my twin sister gets it quite a bit.  She takes cranberry pills and for some reason, it helps. If she feels just the slightest of pain coming on, she will start taking the pills.  Makes me wonder if it does have something to do with the bladder since cranberry pills are suppose to be healthy for a bladder.  I'm going to get some tomorrow and try it.  It's very uncomfortable and I can't believe some of these posts I have read where doctors have diagnosed constipation or period cramps.  Seems like with as many people who feel this weird pulling sensation, the dr's would have figured it out by now.
Has anyone had  a ct scan or MRI? what about ADHESHISIONS  from old surgery's
hormones are you ovulating? groin strain sprain? i can't cross my legs and bend to touch floor tight muscles my Dr says? taking flexeril! still looking i'm  watching the color of my urine -make sure you drink water  and  pp clear persae? wheat gives me pain  food allergies?
Do you pp alot all day or hold urine? if i hold my urine i spasm! gotta go Go... anyone had laproscopy to explore?
HI. I am new to this forum as i was googling the exact same problem. It essentialy feels like a pice of string connecting my belly button and vagina that is too short and as a result, movement or standing up straight feels like it's being stretched and its extremely painful. This has been happening since I was about 8 years old ( I am now 23). It always goes away a short time later, but at the time - I can't even stand staright up as it feels like the cord in my tummy is not long enough. I recently visited a physician and I told him about it. He told me not to worry and that it was a symptom of having too much of a type of fibre in my diet. It's somethig that I can live with and want to urge people to look at their diets if you experience this pain.
i get this every once in awhile. i really think its muscular. honestly, what everyone describes with the string thing is how i feel. it hurts a lot too. but when i take like tylenol or advil or something...it always seems to help. but curling up in a ball is always the most comfortable. i hope that helped! im only 16, but ive gotten this pain for a few years now.
well i dont know if mine is the same as yours but

i woke up this morning to a sharp pain kind of between my right thigh, intestines, and vagina. its kinda like on my pelvis or something near there but if i move to sharply or slowly it hurts like heck and sometimes if i dont move at all it just randomly hurts well worse anyways and then fade out to the normal pain i was in and if i lay down in certain possitions it hurts.

i've had these pains before like for a bit but it normaly goes away in a few mins/hours. well today it lasted the entire day and running to the car so mom would actually stop probably didnt help. (long story)
im 15 almost 16 and i dont know whats wrong i wish they would stop all together. i thought maybe it could be telling me my periods about to start cause normaly these are before my period.

the pain is like a throbbing/stingy/stabbing pain it kinda feels like someone stabbed me there. well sometimes i sit in this weird possition on my chair where after awhile my right leg that area kinda cramps or like hurts sharply so i quickly move my leg in a better possition so it wont hurt. maybe i tore something there? if you found anything yet please tell me id like to know why it hurts so bad there

i dont think its a bladder infection cause its not exactly near my bladder.
i dont know. if i had a map of human anatomy on here it'd be helpful to show lol but still i dont think its a bladder infection maybe a torn muscle/ligament? or maybe its my colon? or my ovarys? (i am not sexually active) perhaps its some lymph nodes or something?
omg i thought i was the only one...mine only hurts like for an hour..and then it stops then like a couple of months pass and i have it again :(
I had the same pain last night and like it hurts so bad you can barely move it felt like sharp cramps and I had to pee but I couldn't really move to get up and when I did it hurt even more. It I had to then when I went up to go pee it felt like I could pass out or something it hurt so bad. and no matter how you lay it still hurt I am only 15. Not sexually active an I'm a clean person I get pains like this every now m then but NOT nearly as bad as this): what could this be or is it just cramps?
Hi everyone!
I have the same symptoms of "pulling my belly button through my vagina". It shows up randomly and lasts up to half an hour, usually after sitting for a long time or being curled up causing me not be able to stand up or arch my back etc... I've been reading a lot of posts and decided to look at the Anatmoy of the area myself and sure enough there are 3 ligaments attached to the bellybutton and go behind the bladder into the pelvic area! Ligaments can spasm and I am convinced that is all this is. Here is a link to a picture of the ligaments called the lateral and medial umbilical ligament.
http://monsterscifishow.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/michael-jackson-e-t.jpg
I'm satisfied!
Hi, im only 15 but ive been having these pains for about two years now. It feels like somthing is pulling and wripping write below the belly button all the way to the vagina. I usualy only get it for a couple minutes and a couple times a year but just recently ive had the pain for about 4 days, this occured probally around three weeks ago and to day i got it again. Ive tryed every thing to get rid of the pain but nothing works. It is an unbarrable pain and gets worse when i pee (it hurts more than when i got a tattoo or piercing)!. Ive mentioned it to my doctor and he refered me to somebody to do an altrisound but my mother thinks im exadurating and refuses to take me. So somebody please if you know anything about this help me out and let me know what it could be or what i need to do.!!!
Hope to here back from somebody!
Thanks!
I had these same pains along with lower back pain when my cycle was about to start and the first few days. Found out it was fibroids. If they are in the front they can cause pelvic pain, stomach pain, and cause you to pee more because it presses on your bladder. If it's in the back it can cause you to be constipated or cause back pain and pain down the legs. Most people that have it don't have symptoms but sometimes they get severe like mine and I have to have surgery to get them removed. Sometimes they can't find them if they are small unless they do pelvic ultrasound.
i have had this a few weeks ago. i am a 13 year old boy, and i begged my parents to take me to the ER. they ended up taking me, and it all turned out to be a stool impaction, a severe form of constipation. i recieved an enema, and felt like a new man, but the pain returns every few days in smaller amounts. hope this helped.
I also had the same symptoms as everyone here in this forum. I went to a doctor recently and did a urine test but found nothing and she refered me to a paediatric surgeon to check on further. She said it was very unusual, the way I describe it. Now my mum refuses to take me to the surgeon and she said it's nothing I was just thinking too much about it. She said that she had it also and it goes away after she got pregnant and had me. I was thinking maybe my mum doesn't have it anymore because she passed it down to me. Because I am the first child of my family and my sisters do not have anything like this.
i have be having a sharp pain in my belly button to but it only comes if iam going throw PMS or i hold my pee to long but when iam over it goes away but it does not bother me much just sometimes.
I have the same symptoms and no insurance. My doctor did a vaginal culture and found P.I.D. I had lower back pain, uterine type cramping,hurt a little to pee, I felt preggers, my tummy was growing, my pain was intense. I am on Flagyl for ten days. I am going to the local health department next week to get a free pap. I am also a Nurse. I have done a lot of research and found that these symptoms are common in a handful of health issues.It is good to do your homework and offer suggestions to you healthcare provider..Just don't make up your mind about what is wrong with you until all tests and facts are in..A second opinion is always a good thing too.hope you feel better ;)
hi i am a 20yr old girl. i have a 9mth old baby. in novenber 2010 i had to go to hospital with a very bad kidney infection. i noticed over the last couple of months that after sex i was sore and uncomfortable and it felt like it was raw, but i dont know if that has anything to do with this.  just yesterday i was sitting on the couch and started getting like a period pain in my right side it started getting worse and moved under my belly button. it felt like i was being ripped open from the inside as well as an aching pain it was not my belly button it was a couple of inches under it . i was in that much pain i wanted my partner to put me out of my misery. i felt pressure as like i needed to go toilet for a number "2" but only a dribble of pee came and there was no burning or stinging just pain, could barely walk, felt weak i wanted to ring an ambulance. the pain started to go after about 45mins. i went to the doctor when the pain was easing. i gave a urine sample that was very concentrated and he told me my white cell counts were up. gave me antibiotics and was told to drink plenty of fluids he done a pregnancy test and was negative . later on that night around 11 the pain started coming back but not as bad as before. got up this morning i am tender under my belly button and i get sore as i tense up, i feel groggy and just no energy . there is just a niggling feeling in my gut now.   can anyone help me please
well i am a 14 year old boy in 8th grade and i am having these pains as i am typing thiss comment and i read all of these and fell good at first that i am not alonr but also scared im not shre what to belive some of these symptoms are scarry and not good..... i will get this pain everyone years-ish maybe twice but it hurts like HELL!!!!! i just wanna die from teh pain... i can barley move/walk ...... it doesnt really hurt when i go to the bathroom only if im like standing straight up i have to like bend over when i pee...but im afraid to tell my parents or at least tell them it happend again because im afraid of what the doctor might say sometimes it happens when i hold my pee in for too long but it gets worst (pain) and i dont know whaty to do SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?! ;(
I have been there . it is a few inches below my bellybutton extending down into  my urethra and It hurt like heck and it felt like a bladder infection and I have IC and it really alot of pains so Im going to find out why when I see the urogyn. also I can't stand up straight or stretch myself when I wake up in the morning and I couldnt sleep well and right now Im ok and I have to be careful with myself.until I see the dr..
Hey, I have been there the same thing you did and I have no clue but one thing I have IC and i cure it myself and I have no  problem for 8 yrs and all of sudden and I was sleeping and I rolled over to my pillow and was face down and pressure hard enough below my bellybutton extending to urethra and it hurt like heck and it woke me up so quick and I was so much in pain all night along and it felt like I have a bladder infection and it wasn't so Im going to find out why it causing and Yesterday I was cutting my little dog hair and I was bending over too much and it was killing my lower back and I was trying to straight it up my back it pulled my down  there so hard it hurt like heck and urethra too.. it feel like flare up urethera.. so did you find out why it causing you ? please let me know asap
thanks so much.
champ3418
Right now I'm. Going through what you guys r explaining, it's on my left side and around my belly button. It hurts like crazy so when I suck in my stomach it feels a little bit better but I still can't stand straight. My dad thinks that my stomach muscles r tight/tense, so I put on a heating pad and it really helps! I'm still going to call my doctor but until then, the heating pad will be just fine:)
I'm having this weird pain below my belly button and it hurts to push on it or stand up strait. I'm kinda scared!! someone help! it's the first time it's happened but it's been like 15 minutes and it wont fo away! :(
I am 23 years old and I had the same symptoms, couldn't walk move or stand up straight and I was in tears cuz I was in so much pain and I went to the ER cuz I didn't have insurance and they said it was PID(pelvic inflammatory disease) and a bladder infection. They put me on several antibiotics and pain meds. It will only get worse the longer u wait so if u don't have insurance just go to the ER and they have to treat u. Good luck
Hii im 12 i havee the same thing i dont have my period yet .. Every month or soo i feel this sharp pain in my vagina cant move do anytning like a pulling/stabbing/punching feeling when i stretch it feels fine but still hurts even moree ): im very athelic too
I'm 17 and the same thing happens to me , But it only happens when I hold my pee in for a long time ... It go's away after awhile , But if you find out what it is can you pls let me know ? :]
hi im 7 weeks pregnant and im experincing a pain in my vigina (vagina), i cnt explain the feeling but its kinda painful
I get a pain that sounds a lot like this. It sometimes starts suddenly, and sometimes it starts as a dull, tight pain between right above my pubic bone and my belly button. It becomes very severe, going from below my belly button to my vagina (also I fin my clitoris hurts a lot). The muscles around my pubic ring hurt for days after. If I use the washroom during an attack it hurts to pee, but not in a stinging way, but it feels like my muscles are too tight to let things pass.

It happened once when I was about 14, then didn't happen again until this past year (I'm 25 now). It's now happened at least 3 times this year. There's no rhyme or reason as to what I'm doing when it happens. Once it happened when I was just sitting at my computer, and another time was right after sex.

The only way I can get through episodes is to take muscle relaxers once I feel it starting and practically sit on an ice pack to soothe my pubic ring muscles.
I know that everyone has commented on the same things that i am about to comment on but her goes.
I am a 28 year old women who has had 3 children each on a c-section. I get these pains without warning. I was out with my family and half way through walking I was in so much pain bellow my belly button all the way down to my v jj across my both sides of my overies. The walking feels like a car is hitting, sitting feel like something is being stabed up in side. I cant bend over without holding my abdomin (abdomen) as if I had a c-section. While I am walking I feel like my insides are goin to fall out through my vjj. Nothing help.
I have been to many doctors throuh the years and all they can say is I have a condition where my bladder and urithra swell. I want to say to them well what the hell does that mean. How can I get it to go away? I feel like I am at the end of my rope. This condition is affecting me helping my children when i get the onset of it. The is HELL........
I have a similar problem but it only happens once in awhile. I have no idea what it is. I don't want to go to the doctor, I'm scared. I'm not sexually active, never have been. Do I have to see a doctor?? Help!!!
I am having severe pains o my lower abs dow towards the cervical area and it is vseverly painfull that I breathe heavier because it hurts so much it lasts up to half hour whe I get them I cannott movve as its so painfull and the first time it occurred I was in work and I had to stop work and a work colleague had to take me to the hospital yet they couldtnt find anything I'm angry because I know how painfull it was ad that that was not normal to feel llike that it was deffinately oe of the worst feelings I've ever experienced, it alsso hurt after havig sex with my partner we have no sti's as we got tested when we got together but doctor advised it but I phoned up gyno ad they said I have to call back thursdayy to book appointmeent for modnday its rediculous that I have to waiit., me and my apartnnerr have been together a coule of yearss none of us have been unfaithfull what is this horrible pain that occurs
For those of you with this issue - the vitamin thing may be something to look into!  I have been having these pains for 10 years now, starting when I was 21.  It started by only happening 2 days out of each month, up to almost every day.  I was diagnosed with endometriosis, but even the surgery, when they said they got the one spot on my ovary completely, didn't help.  Birth control didn't help - actually made it worse, if that's possible.  My pain seemed to be eased by massaging my bowels sometimes, but sometimes it was too bad for that even.  No OTC pain killers could touch it.  

ANYWAY, after reading the comments on vitamin deficiencies, I asked my doctor to check my iron and vitamin D levels - they were REALLY LOW!  He put me on supplements a month ago and other than the first week, I haven't had any pain since!!  Even this week, which is notoriously the most painful right before my cycle, NO PAIN!  I'm on a three-month cycle of these supplements until they check my levels again, and I'm praying that the lack of pain keeps up so I can tell my doctor what I've found out.  Maybe with a solution and the symptoms, it will help them find the problem??  Please, check with your doctor and get blood work done to see about your levels of iron and vitamin D and let them make the decisions about how much you should be taking before you start.  Too much of either can be very dangerous for you.  But at least give this a try.  I was skeptical because I thought "Vitamins?  Nah."  But I was desperate.  Who knows, the body does all kinds of crazy things when it doesn't get what it needs.
I have the same thing happening to me and I'm 16 years old. Iv been to the doctors many times and they told me it was a varian cyst. But they also told me if you are on birth control for more than two months it will go away I'm sextualy active and iv been on bc for a long time and it's still happening. Someone help!
Seriously need help.
Hi, my name is lydan and i am a 26 year old male.
I am posting this to two different articals as i pertains to both, there will be mixed but helpful information for everybody.
Though i have never experienced a puss or bleeding condition as so many have, i have had a smelly belly button often accompanied by pain before, generally once or twice a year, ive also experienced the "feels like a string pulling from the inside of my belly button and shooting pain down to my penis if i lean back or breath deeply etc." which apparently occurs across both genders.

After many years of suffering (didnt know it was IC till recently, started to become sensitive to sugar when i was 14) i have concluded i am sensitive to sugar and it adversely effects me in many bad ways, including what is described in this wonderful link i found as "belly button infection".

http://www.freeuniquearticles.com/health/diseases-conditions/navel-infection-smelly-belly-button-discharge/

So far the most information i have ever gathered relating to many symptoms i get, including symptoms for IC, are when i consume alot of sugar (so a form of diabetes) and have not drank enough water. those two conditions seem to trigger my smelly belly button and IC symptoms. i highly recommend checking out the link, and think carefully when you have symptoms: "did i consume alot of sugar recently and not drink enough water?" i bet you will put two and two together.

BOTTOM LINE: easiest way to avoid symptoms (for me at least) is to drink lots of water and avoid too much sugar, pretty much all the stuff we all learned in grade 7 health class
also there is some more helpful and pertinent information in this other discussion here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Pelvic-Pain--below-belly-button--hurts-to-move--cant-walk-sometimes/show/32374
my girlfriend has been having similar pain a couple inches below her belly button.she has been having sharp pains that comes out of nowhere it scares me because the pain she have brings her to her knees.When she go to the doctor they act like they dont see nothing wrong but she is still having these terrible episodes.Most of the time not all the pain comes when she is lying down.  
I've had the same problem since around the age of 12-13(I'm soon to be 28). It was always random, once every other month here and there and completely stopped last year until today. Tired of doctors always telling me it's all in my mind and others calling me a liar so I decided to look it up and here I see this. It mostly looks like women are having this problem though, I am in fact a man.

This problem has screwed me in many ways. While it is a very random pain that comes at the oddest of times, there is one time that seems to increase the chances of it appearing. Whenever I do any vigorous exercise that stretches me alot. I joined the football team with my friends and had to quit halfway through the first practice cause of this. I was fine until it was lunch time, sat down fine, ate lunch fine...but when I went to get up. Just insane pain, all hunched over and everything. Of course I had to quit and nobody believed me about this chronic disease so I was mocked severely.

Even playing wii sports too much can do it(baseball mostly). Of course I'm fine the whole time I'm playing, it's when I go to rest that the pain seems to settle in. I don't realize it's there till I go to stand up though.

And peeing while this pain is present is completely out of the question. I've learned not to try, even if you wanna go the pain won't allow you. While peeing it takes no more than maybe a mere 3 seconds for the pain to hit a peak and it forces you to stop going. It's not even the pain that stops you either, it literally won't let me go anymore.

To heal it I basically do about the same as most members here, except instead of laying down like you I'll sit down in my computer chair and just relax while listening to music/playing a game. And MOST IMPORTANTLY if I have to get up, I'll use my hands as support and slowly raise myself, and keeping myself bent over helps as well. But the most important part is to not do any fast/hard movements that will use your stomach muscles, it sets back the "healing" process back to square one.

I say "healing" in quotes because I don't even know what the hell it's healing to begin with. It might be this IC thing but even that seems a bit off...I'm gonna continue searching and hopefully find an answer.

I'm 20 years old n I am 22weeks pregnant n I'm having a sharp pain n my lower right side n goes down to my vaginal area. See I was having these pains since November of last year n I've been with my husband for over 4 years we are clean for he is military n every time I seen a doctor they tested me... Why can't they tell me what's wrong? It last about 5 minutes n only happens maybe 2 times a week? Anyone know what it could be n if my baby will be fine?
O yeah i messed up that post "also there is some more helpful and pertinent information in this other discussion here":

link is actually:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/Belly-Button-pain/show/30055#post_7402303
I've had pain like this before I am 17 male and had the attack last night, i was on the computer talking to friends and playing a game and then I felt something odd under my belly button and then i logged off and stood up and the pain was crippling and I couldn't stand up straight for my life and felt like someone invisable was trying to rip out my insides.

My stool/urine is fine looking but I think I may be consit as I have to really force my stool after the attack but before it it was fine, the most comfortable place during the attack was curled in a ball on my bed but even the pain came and go in the pose..I was awake for 10am-1pm and I was falling a asleep and I got a rush like when you go down the first drop of a roller coaster and the pain was gone and I stood up normally jumped around stretched and was like "wtf"...? This happened to me in grade 6/7 before aswell but that was a couple years ago when I was the the fair with a friend and the pain hurt so much I sat the whole time crunched over and then a few hours BAAM I was fine and could move..I dont know what this is but it's EXTREMLY painful and odd
GUYS THEY FOUND A CURE !

so yesterday i was walking home and i felt a stomache ache coming ... i ran home and got to the bathroom and as i was sitting down , i had a tearing pain inside of me . i know this is going to sound dumb but this is the only way i can think to explain it. it felt like one of my fallopian tubes were tearing in half . except i know your tubes are on the sides and the pain was in the middle... it was all the symptomes that i've read on here ! a couple inches bellow the belly button , almost at vagina , didn't want to move , didn't want to breathe , didn't want to do anything that would move my stomache . except mine only lasted about 2 minutes ... the longest 2 minutes in my life . after it passed it didn't hurt to pee or anything o_o so i immediately callled my mom and she came home and took me to the doctor . i spent 4 hours in the er doing pee samples and xrays seeing nurse and doctor after nurse and doctor . turns out , it was just gas passing through . they said "young lady , you're full of poo" so she said that when you are constipated and gas passes through tightly packed poop that it can be very painful . she said people sometimes pass out from the pain .. she gave me some bottle of powder that i have to put in my drink and it's going to make me poop . i'm scared to take it so i'm not going to take it i'll just wait for it to pass like anyother poop would LOL'
i had one last night but it dint go to my vagina it jsut came to my stomach on by my hips i cryed soo much iam only 15 to i had a through up feeling to ive never had that much pain in my life
Hello, Doctor Oz has a list of doctors that will see u if u have no insurance or u can't afford to go to the Doctor.. It's on his website.. Hope u get the medical help u need!!
Im 14 and been having this pain since a long time
It feels like a limited string is connected to my belly button and my vagina (maybe uterus). Im scared for what it is but im dying to know
I'm 19 too, with the same thing, if you or anyone finds out what it is i would love to know, thanks.
Hi,I noticed you asked this question a few years ago and I'm so glad to know its not only me who has been going through this, I'm only 13 years old and I've had the EXACT same problems and I'm just wondering have you found out what it is yet or any medication to prevent it from happening? I have this right at the moment and I'm really scared and don't know what to do:/ please help :)
Hi i dont know if this will be of any help to you but my doctor once told me that is was because my bladder was contracting, and that this was caused by all of the cystoscopies i have had. I have had so many because of having Bladder Cancer so this may not be why you have this pain,well i hope it isn't anyway.
I'm 16 and I've had the same pain and it hurts to the point where I can't sit. I can't put any pressure on my butt. Everytime this happens I have to pee a lot for days. I've never had sex, and this is the second time it has happened.
Im 25 years old, and I've also had this pain. Ive been having this pain since i was 8 years old.  But it always seemed the doctors didnt listen because I was so young. Sometimes I have it a lot, sometimes every now and then. But whenever I tell the doctors they just look at me like im stupid. Ive had ultrasounds and stuff done but nothing shows. But ovbiously its something because ive had the pain for 17 years. And its excruitating pain.  You literally cant stand up straight to it feels like you're getting stabbed in the belly button, and for the life of yourself you can not pee! Its the worse feeling in the world, I find you cant even let a dribble out or it feels liike your belly button is being sucked in by a string and getting stabbed at the same time.  My mom has always thought I had a hernia, my whole life.  I just wish I could find answers and get it fixed! Im having a very bad attack right now, and so just wish it would go away!
in havein the Same Problem im only 14 & this pain just started ugh.it's Killin me like crazy i cant pee my stomach get really tight .
I am a 16 years old boy, and this pain occurs to me as well, I've had it like years ago and it only occurs some period of the month, if it happens today, it happens slowly, and tomorrow it might  get worse, but then when its totally gone, i wont have it for months again, it occurs below my belly button, on the triangle shaped area, when i press it, it gets worse, i pray to god that this will go away and that everyone will be okay, sometimes, when you are sexually active (having a partner or no), it occurs the next day, I hope I find a cure for this or at least the reason and cause of this. thank you
My son is ate. And right now is has a pain exacty at the same spot. below the belly button. imnt a fool. But i never remember people having so many issue with there health at such a young age. This is CRAZY. Im really sarting to think its whats in this unheathy food we are comsuming with chemicals an who knows what in it. Im going to change my sons diet an hope for the best. This is far from normal.
what does it mean when during sex you get sharp pains in your stomach and could barely stand up
I also have MSK and experience the same issue with the abdominal pain, i was always told by doctors that its just gas, or a pinched nerve, mine has happened 3 times in the last week though, starting to worry me. the bladder disease thing kinda scares me, thinking seriously about going to my urologist.
I just had this happen to me last night, and my mom made me go to the ER. When I went, they ended up doing a pelvic exam and an ultrasound. They wanted to rule out kidney stones, cysts on my ovaries, and ectopic pregnancy. They ruled out 2/3 except for cysts when they did the ultrasound. The closing verdict was that the pain i felt was a cyst that was getting ready to explode or was in the process. I also have another cyst growing on my left ovary and my right ovary is bigger than my left. So for now they have me on meds and so i've been sleeping and taking it easy until Monday to call the gyno to follow up.
I have the same Pain, i went to the doctor and they told me it was acid reflock they gave me same medication but its not not helping at all.
Well i am male 25 and i am having the same problem....i am not sexually active....it suddenly comes and goes...just a little below my belly button...and a little left sided....It sometimes is not there at all but sometimes it starts gradually as well...and when i press this portion it leads to my penis as well... Well i don't know...I have seen two urologists, they believe that this is pelvic congestion as far as i am not sexually active....Please help me out...i have been facing this for 3 weeks.....HELP...HELP...HELP.....
Hi im 22 been having the same problem for a long time. I was told it was because I was ovulating. That some women can feel when they are ovulating and it does happen to me on one side then next time it will be on the other side so makes since to me but u should still go see a dr.
Wow I have just read a numerous amount of these comments, very good to know I am not the only one having the sharp, pinching pains in my lower abdomen. It just comes along periodically. Like this morning I woke up and there it was, it worsens during sexual intercourse as well. 7 hrs later and I am still having the pain. I just cannot figure out what's going on. I have had UTI's before and I know it's not that because it doesn't burn when I urinate. It just feels like a lot of pressure, stabbing pains (that sometimes prevent me from standing). Sometimes it's pretty difficult having these pains with a 5yr old & a 2 yr old running around I cannot just lay down and take a nap. I guess after like 7 yrs of periodically getting this pain, maybe it's time to go and see a doctor about this issue. If anyone finds out what this is please, please let me know. Thanks for sharing everyone and very good to know I am not the only one.  
Hi I am a 14 yr old girl and I have on and off pain in my belly button down to my vaginal area it is very sharp and it hurts to stand up / stretch it and it hurts to pee when it is goin on I haven't told anyone should I? Could this be servere and what coukd it be?
Have you tried pelvic floor therapy?  I am just starting treatment for what I believe is a complication of urodynamic test.  As for a referral from your urogynecologist or obgyn.  
Hi I am a male and I also get this same pain. I can't seem to find anything about it though. Seems like it must be a rare thing. Not sure.
I have had the same pain since I was a kid, now 38 and an RN. I'm starting to think this is a problem with the urachus. Look up urachal cyst. For me, it occurs two-thee times a year with extreme pulling sensation( like a string) pain upon trying to stand or urinate. For me, it has never lasted longer than 24 hrs at a time and I have dealt with it all of these yrs without seeking medical attention but I think it is the same thing that many of the people in this post describe and MDs just aren't familiar with it.
Here's a link....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urachal_cyst
I had the same thing at 18 years of age it was diagnosed as Endometriosis. I had to have a D&C it helped for a while. Don't take your pains for granted. You need to see a gynecologist. Left untreated much worse could begin. I had numerous D&C's for the same reason.  I could never have children I don't know if it had something to do with this or not but don't take chances.  Some Dr's would tell you having a baby helps, but if you are not ready for that commitment check out the D&C route.  BTW I am now in my 50's and my early 30's I had a complete hysterectomy. So make sure you are treated...there may be something new out there since my ordeal. Good luck!
I had exactly the same problem a month ago I'm 21 and was diagnosed with a twisted bowel cus they had no clue. They tried to say I was pregnant but I wasn't, for the pain they put me on buscopan.
The other day a friend she's 28 same problem she was admitted to hospital as she couldn't stand. They did loads of tests and still don't know what it was.
If anyone knows what the cause is. Would be helpful.
Finally!!!! It is related to prolonged periods of flexion at the waist( such as sitting, laying in fetal position, or gardening-weeding repetitiously, etc..I am a 34 year old male and have had this for about 20 years..sporadically..sometimes it goes away and does not return for several months...I am no doctor, but I am a massage therapist with excellent knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology, a lengthy background in martial arts, and am a landscaper to boot..all this is just to establish that I know pains,sprains, and strains, I know without a doubt, that this is not a UTI, bowel,constipation,g.i., issue, it's not an STD...it usually happens to me after repeated bending and raising at the hips, prolonged bending at waist..sometimes no reason at all...there is defenitely a ligament issue here.Listen to Peachnut, people. Oh, and it's not a hernia or interstitial-cystitus, it wouldn't be as sporadic as it is and/or it would advance to become something deadly by now..****, I've dealt with the pain for twenty years..it *****..Try to stretch (extend) your back slowly...s-l-ow-ly-..find the point to which it's not painful..then breathe and let it extend...pretty sure its an inflammation of the ligaments..I've also heard that the ligament has an attachment to the bladder, and when the bladder empties quickly, it pulls taught the ligament, causing the intense pain we all know and love..
Can anyone help me out i have pains from my belly button on down to my vagina idk whats wrong but im thinking its my mirena i have been feeling nausea & throwing up but im not pregnant & i went to the hospital not to long ago & i was having pains i could barely walk & the doctor said he couldn't find anything wrong with me please help me i can't stand this pain
So I know this was years ago that this was posted but I'm currently having the same pain it's really really bad and I don't have any issue going to the bath room. Did you find out what it was? I'm 19
I was just wondering if anyone has any more info. Im 21 and have had this pain for a  few yrs. I've been to the dr. She thought it was a uti but I've had it for so long. So did and untasound too, and nothing was wrong. I haven't had it for awhile but I got it again. It hurts everytime I move. I get it especially when I stand up, and it makes me almost fall over. Thanks
Hi my name is Afsana i have this kind of pain in my lower abdomen and it goes down towards my vagina and it is also like a pulling pain sometimes i only get that real pulling pain during my period , but right now i'm not on it and this pain is random comes when i stand or lay down sometimes when i cough i seen the doctor about this a while back but he said it was just swelling from working out then another doctor said it could've been from my plan b or i got my self a sonogram and they said a whole bunch of things but now i was told my uterus was now thickend and there could be many reasons for it like a fibroid or a cyst something like that , I'm really scared and i hope that this is not serious . I'm 19 years old and i am sexually active unprotected with one guy .& I'm not pregnant either . My doc told me to go to the gyno so i hope its not serious ?
Hello, I am male, but I have had the same problem minus the vagina part, but after a couple hours of tedious self educating, I discovered an explanation and solution, assuming the pain comes from your belly button. There is a little tube called the urachus which connects the navel to the bladder. It is used to expel urine through the umbilical chord when you are still in the uterus, but when you are born it basically turns into a tendon. It can get very tight when you are dehydrated, hunched over for a while, or workout without stretching. When you stand up quickly it stretches the area and pulls this chord causing a sharp pain. I assume the reason it hurts when you cough is because you are flexing your abdominal muscles. The best thing to do is try to slowly stretch it out by arching your spine backwards. It will hurt a little but it will go away relatively quickly. If this is your problem, then there is not much to worry about. I really hope this helped, good luck.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same problem. :(  I just really hope I'm not pregnant.
Hi, um I have the same thing as you, idk what it is thats causing it, but it hurts like hell when I stretch, or stand straight, and when I having to pee, it hurts, while I pee it feels as if its my belly button being pulled, so I have to stop peeing in mid way so it can stop hurting, I cant stay standing because of it, and it goes away, for like a couple of months but comes back. Today, right now it hit me really hard when I had strecthed a horrible pain around my belly button, and below my belly button, so I sat down trying to hold the pain. So I was wondering if you found out what it was, and im only 17, this pain started when I was around 12 or 11.
I'm 15, and pretty much exactly what you described has been happening to me since I was a kid. I tried to describe it to my parents a really long time ago but they didn't get it so I just kind of dropped it... It happens to me every couple months, and for me the only way for me to make it go away is to curl up into a ball and fall asleep, and it's usually gone by the time I wake up. I always thought it was just me, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that this happens to.