Pelvic pain during period
When I get my period I get this feeling in my lower pelvic region.  It feels just like when my kids dropped at the end of my pregnancy.  It is this intense heavy feeling and it hurts.  I suffer from painful periods which have been better since having the two kids and being on birth control but this facet of my period has not improved.  Could there be something else going on?
I get this a few times a year, too.  It's that heavy pressure feeling like when you're pg.  IMO, it's doubtful that there's something wrong because it does happen for a lot of women.  If it's happening at times other than your period, then you should question the doctor though.
It sounds like you could be having dysmenorrhoea.  Here is a link that helps describe it more:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/menstruationpainful.htm

Usually getting on some form of birth control can help lessen the symptoms you get prior to a period.  Talk to your doctor about it if its bothering you.  

Hope this helps.
I did notice you were on birth control.  What I meant to say is you may need a different type.
I also wanted to share with you that you may have what I have.

I recently found out my cervix is damaged from childbirth. The hole where my period comes out is too small now. My menses sort of pools up in there and it makes me feel very heavy.  I get extremely bad cramps until I 'contract' it all out.  

I know that sounds gross and unusual but it can be something you may be going thru also.

Since I dont want to have another child for a couple more years he is putting me on birth control to help lighten the symptoms.

Again, since you are on birth control already...you may need a different type as well.
I know that this was posted in 2006 but I have a child who will be 9 months next week and already I feel like I have popped out 8 other babies with how bad it gets. I figured the pain would lessen and go away but it still here and putting me in tears. mine also hurts when I am not bleeding. like when I move something heavy, pick up my child from the floor, when I move a certain way, crossing my legs, and sitting on the arm of the couch hurts as well. it really keeps me from doing things. and I hate calling the dr because I called them while I was on my 3rd period and they said that it was normal. my aunt, who is a RN, says its not normal. ive talked to others around me that have had kids and they don't have this problem. to me it could be a hairline fracture, or maybe just scarring from when the pelvic bone separates during birth. im not a dr but it hurts that bad to the point where I think I may have fractured my pelvic bone.
I also get this feeling that you are describing. My youngest child is almost 6 and was delivered from emergency C-section. I get the pains at other times as well just exactly like you.  I have just been diagnosed with late stage precancerous cells on my cervix and my doctor told me that this could be a lot of MY problem. I am not trying to alarm you in any way.  This is not ALL my problem but since I am finished having children, I am going through a hysterectomy next week to try to fix most of it. As far as the "bones" hurting, he said that it is not normal, but also not extremely un-normal. Not a lot of woman have this feeling but some do and as far as I can tell right now, it is kind of unexplained. Not really a reason for it.
did you get a second opinion about the precancerous cells? just asking because my dr says somethings normal and then I get my aunts opinion who is a RN and she says its not normal. I forgot to put in my earlier comment that I do get a burning pain in my hips and where my ovaries are. also, I lost my first child when I was 7 weeks pregnant, I knew at 8 weeks it was gone. I went to the er because my dr wouldn't give me an ultrasound and they just sat there and said oh its a possible miscarriage and sent me home. I had an ultrasound at 11 weeks it was gone and I ended up having a d&c. I had a ton of pain afterwards, more just the cramping. the meds that they gave me were Tylenol w/ codeine (if that's how you spell it) didn't work, I was taking 6 every 2 hrs when I was supposed to take one every 3-6 hrs. about a month later I ended up pregnant again, even in the beginning I was having very bad cramps but hes alive and trying to walk now. I don't know if being pregnant twice within a 5 month period hurt my body somehow? not a clue. I hope everything goes well with the hysterectomy:)
NOTE: I've never had cramping before I was pregnant, even while bleeding.