Peri-Menopause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Peri-Menopause?

I am 40 years old, no (other) medical issues, normal weight range, etc.  I started having night sweats and hot flashes about 6-7 months ago.  My Dr says I'm too young for it to be connected to menopause.  I find that hard to believe, so I started using Estroven for nighttime.  It totally worked for almost the entire first box, but the last week or so, all the night sweats and body temperature swings are back in full force.  I'm SO frustrated.  Does anyone know what might be going on?  Can it still be menopausal, and the Estroven just isn't a strong enough medicine for me?  Every blood test I've ever done comes back completely normal, and I just did a sleep apnea test and it was completely normal as well.  :(
Hi Qupert,

What is Estroven? I've never heard of this product. You started off your
post by saying 6 - 7 months ago, you started having night sweats and
hot flashes. You say you're only forty. Your doctor says you're too young
for this to be connected to menopause. First of all, out of curiosity, is
your doctor a female ? Just wondering. Night sweats and hot flashes
are menopausal symptoms. I'm actually 50 plus, menopausal, and I
have hot flashes and sometimes night sweats. You may be peri menopausal as you suggest. I am actually looking through a book of mine at this moment called "  The Menopause Self Help Book". This book was
published by Susan M. Lark, MD. My mom actually gave me this book
awhile ago and said I would probably find it helpful. This book was copyrighted in 1990. Chapter 1 of this book is called " What is Menopause?"  Dr. Lark writes the following which I think you may be
very interesting, I do.  "  While most women go through menopause between the ages of 48 and 52, some women cease menstruating as young as their late thirties or early forties, while others continue to menstruate into their mid-fifties. " For most women, the process that leads up to menopause occurs gradually, triggered by a slowdown in the function of their ovaries. This process begins four to six years before the last menstral period and continues for several years after."
I might also suggest if you don't have a female family physician, I would
try and find one. I just find female physicians more sympathetic to women
health issues like peri menopause. This didn't happen to me, but this comment was said to a female friend of mine. She went to a male doctor
and she was basically complaining about her symptoms. She was very
frustrated too. This male doctor said something to her like " Oh it's all in
your head. You're imagining a lot of this. " The friend I'm talking about had
very bad mood swings and other symptoms. She decided to change doctors and this female doctor found the cause of the problem.  My friend was so grateful for finding a doctor who could help her.
Dr. Susan Lark also has a whole chapter called " Herbs for Menopause".
It's extremely interesting to read. Right now I'm just skimming this chapter.
Dr. Lark writes " I have used herbs in my medical practice for years as a
form of extended nutrition for menopause. They are an effective means
for balancing the diet and optimizing the nutritional intake. I know before
starting these herbs, you always have to check with your doctor to avoid
any herbs which may conflict with other medication you may be taking.
I am definitely going to read this chapter this morning. Good luck with finding some answers, Qupert. I hope what I have posted has been helpful information for you and perhaps other women who may be experiencing
menopausal symptoms at an early age. Be well. Eve :)