Period Late by almost three weeks but Negative Pregnancy Test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My last period was on October 22.  My Husband and I have been trying for a baby for almost 18 months now with no luck.  My periods are never late sometimes early but never late.  The only other symptoms I am having is swollen breasts and slight tenderness, head aches (which are unusual for me), and I am very tired lately.  I am used to going to sleep by 11 at the latest every night and am up at 7 in the morning every day like clock work but the past few weeks including the one befor my period was due I have been sleeping in until 10 or 11 and am still tired throughout the day.  I took an at home pregnancy test when I was two weeks late this past sunday and it was negative although the second line did start to shade in but stoped.  I am going to the doctor this friday because I have had a UTI the past two weeks or so (it was the soonest she could get me in).  Would a UTI effect the outcome of the test since I am drinking a lot and peeing a lot too? Should I ask the doctor to do a quantitative blood test? Please if you could help that would be great.  Thank you so much for your time and consideration, Lindsey
The UTI would have no effect on the accuracy of the pg test, but it certainly could be a factor in having a late period.

A negative test at 2 weeks late is over 99% accurate, so it's pretty safe to say you're not pg.  Your period can be late for many many reasons, and maybe the fact that you're overly tired indicates some other problem and that other problem has also delayed your period.

Good luck at the docs, be sure to ask what they think.  They'll probably do a blood test if you ask them.
Ok, I will definitly ask them what they think. Thank you.  I have never heard of a UTI inducing a late period if you could elaborate that would be great. -Lindsey
I've never heard of a UTI affecting a period either.  However some women dont test positive on hpt's. I would go to your doc and get a blood test.  It's possible.  Good luck.  let us know the outcome.
A pregnancy test works by detecting the hCG hormone - if it is over a certain threshold it registers positive on the test.  Different tests have different thresholds (sensitivities) and some will, therefore, give a positive result sooner in a pregnancy than others.  Now, if your fluid intake is high, your urine will be very dilute and therefore the hCG hormone level may NOT be detected on a home pregnancy test. Think of it this way: if you put a cube of sugar in a cup of water the water is sweet - your taste buds can detect the sugar.  However, if you put the same cube of sugar in a fresh water pool and sip the water you can no longer detect the sugar.  The amount of sugar present is the same in each case but it is so dilute in the 2nd case that detecting it is hard. So it IS possible you are pregnant but arent registering on the urine test.

Like one of the previous posters said, a UTI could delay your period (as can being run down in general, stress, too much exericise, weight loss, change in diet to name a few others).  If you are sick, your body is concentrating on fighting the infection which may prevent ovulation, having a period etc.

What symptoms do you have with your UTI?  When I went to the doctor with a UTI, the first thing they asked me was "is there a possibility you could be pregnant?"  There is some overlap between UTI symptoms and pregnancy symptoms.

I would certainly ask your doctor to do some "blood work" to check for pregnancy on your visit this Friday.  

BTW:  how have you managed to survive so long with UTI symptoms?  When I had my UTI (got it the day before Thanks giving a few years ago) I ended up going to an after hours clinic 2 days later as I was so miserable.  I cant even imagine waiting any longer than that!
Thank you last poster that explains a lot.  My UTI symptoms are: having to pee all the time, after I am done it feels like I need to go for a few seconds more but nothing is there, there is no pain or burning, I am waking up at night to go also.  Well my doctor said if it gets worse to tell her (if I have pain or blood in the urine) and that she would get me in sooner. It doesn't really bother me that much I just make sure to chart a map to the nearest bathroom where ever I go *ha ha*.  I find that drinking more actually makes me feel better I go just as much but I don't have that feeling of having to go after I have finished.  Some days it is worse than others like today it was almost like I didn't have one at all. Strange, oh well I will have everything taken care of friday no matter what is going on!thanx again -lindsey
Yes, Spade22 said exactly what I was referring to:

"...a UTI could delay your period (as can being run down in general, stress, too much exericise, weight loss, change in diet to name a few others). If you are sick, your body is concentrating on fighting the infection which may prevent ovulation, having a period etc."
my husband and i are trying to have a baby.i'm almost 2 weeks late but the hpt was negative. i found out today that i have a uti but have only had the symptoms for about a week.could a uti be whats causing my period to be late or could i finally be pregnant?