Period lasting for about 6-7 weeks
I'm 25 and I have always had irregular periods, but now I have had one that has lasted about 6-7 weeks and counting. It's sometimes heavy and then most of the time it's light. Sometimes it's like 'period' blood and other times it fresh - like i've just cut myself. I've been to see the nurse and she did a few blood tests and the results are i have to go back for a prolactin test in 3 months. She also did a pregnancy test - but I can't be pregnant. I'm about 3 stone over weight and the nurse said that wasn't the problem. I am not taking any medication and i'm not on any birth control (my fiance had a vasectomy in 1989). I have recently changed my diet for the better - eating fresh, homemade food instead of processed. I also haven't had any major stress in my life recently. When it first started i was tired a lot - but not after 6 odd weeks, i don't seem to have any side effects. Can someone help please.
Thanks - I'll be sure to keep at them. I'll be going to the doctor this week or next.
There are so many reasons why women become irregular. You do need to make sure they are checking for anemia with having such an extended period and blood loss. Perhaps you should see a doctor instead of a nurse. They should be running blood tests to check the Thyroid, Bleeding disorders etc.. Women go through changes for no apparent reason as they get older. Not that 25 is old, just that you may be having a hormonal imbalance that is usually treatable with the use of hormone therapy (Birth Control pills). My daughter has had severe bleeding since the onset of her periods and after years of tests and many different pills that would regulate her temporarily she is now back on track with no more pills. In almost 4 years, there was NEVER a reason given for her to have such a problem other than hormonal imbalance. They just couldn't find a single thing wrong to explain it. It is hard to swallow that there is no reason for such a thing I know, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things in seeking medical treatment. Just keep pushing them until you get this figured out and under control. And don't forget to check for anemia. Especially if you are feeling overly tired, weak, or dizzy.
The best of luck to you and I hope you get back on track very soon!
--J
have you been tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome?WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I USE TO HAVE CYCLES FOR weeks at a time they ran test after i went to doctor after doctor even had several d&c,laporascopy,histerpeniograms, still they  found nothing then in 2003 i found uot i had pcos.try getting tested it's worth a try.
I posted this message a while ago and since then, I'm still bleeding.
I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago and he gave me 'Norethisterone' to take and said that would stop the bleeding. It did for the first few days, but after that, the bleeding came back. I've been in a lot of pain and light headed, dizzy and feeling slightly queasy - but not actually being sick. I am going to see the doctor again on the 16th and hopefully he'll refer me to the specialist at the hospital.

It's been an absolute nightmare - i've missed so many days at college and am not going to make it to my exams this week. Not to mention the physical relationship with my fiance - but he's been very supportive - thankfully. It's been really getting me down, so I hope it will get sorted so.

The 16th can't come quickly enough!!!

Thanks for the comments posted by people.
I am going through the same thing, I am going for blood work and ultra sound on the 28th. would love to know how your test turned out.
I also have a nodule on my thyroid that I have to have a byopsy on I don't know if there could be any connection or not guess we'll see. would greatly appreciate any input.
Have you had an ultrasound done? Haa anyone mentioned uterine fibroids. I just had a laparatomy myomectomy done on March 22nd to remove lare fibroids that caused so much pain and irregular bleeding. I've even missed periods for 6 months at a time. My frieds buddy has had the same bleeding issues as yourself. She has to wear two maxi pads at once. She was bleeding so much one day that her tounge turned white and she had to be rushed down to the emergency room (she works at a hospital). It turned out to be a fibroid sitting at the cervix causing all the bleeding. An emergency surgery had to be done.
I am under 30, and for almost 6 years I have been trying to get pregnant. I have had irregular periods ever since my very first one at 15. They last sometimes for 2 or 3 months, and other times they last for 6 - 7 days. Sometimes I won't have a period for 5 or 6 months. I have pushed doctors and I have even gone to the hospital..when I bleed to much. Alll of them have told me nothing. I have even lost my temper with them. No one seems to want to help me. I have taken many birth control pills to regulate me....but I have all the side effects when my period comes. I even tried depro-vera, and I had my period for 9 months. I am desperate, and depressed about it. Please help!!!!
i have had my period for 3 months and i can't get a Dr. appt until September! ahh! anyone have anything similar? i don't have any other side effects really... my breasts hurt sometimes and they have been swollen... they itch like crazy!
my friend is having her period non stop for three months now she has been to a doctor and they gave her pills to take. the period only stops during the time she takes the pill and once they are finish she started to bleed again. what could be the cause and what can she do or ask the doctor to do?
i am 34 and have been trying to get pregnant for 15 years.  when i get a period it will not stop until i take norethisterone.  I try to take this for 3 months for 21 days.  I stop taking it for 7 days  hoping that it will regulate my cycle.  unfortunetly i am only regular for one month and then its back to a heavy period.  i am fed up with my doctor and the gyncologist as they never have an explanation for this.  I have had all the tests done laparoscpy and a DNC.  After reading everyone's messages i do not feel like an alien there are other females in the same boat as me.  I hope oneday  someone can solve this difficult problem.  Any help about getting pregnant will be appreciated - is there no chance of getting pregnant while taking norethisterone.
humy c from glasgow
Ive been on my period for 7 weeks since i had a miscarriage but i dont want to go to the doctors, what is wrong with me?
I've had my period for almost 7 months straight. I called my doctor but can't get an appointment with them until October!! I don't have any pain at all, never have... Sometimes I have huge blood clots and such but most times it's just tiny clots and lots of blood for months on end... I keep searching the net, to see what it is that I have but have not found what my problem is called yet, can't seem to find people who have had it ongoing for as long as me, 7 months.
this is insane that no one seems to get any help to resolve this.  All my doctor does is try to put me on birth control to stop the bleeding and it makes me so sick.  There has got to be some reason for the insane amount of blood coming out of me and the length of time my period lasts.  It lasts over 3 months sometimes and I am a newlywed.  It's terrible.
WOW! I don't feel so alone anymore; not that it solves any of the problems, but it feels a little better not to be the only one with this issue...

I'm 25 years old and up until 2 years ago I was always regular, and I know what caused me to go irregular (stress, being laid off), but I can't figure out why I am going on almost 2 months of being on my period. I've gone up to six months without it and now it's back with a vengence. lol Starting in December of last year, I started getting these really severe pains in my lower right adominal area. At first they said it was food poisoning, then it was ecoli, then it was pylonephrtis, gastrentritus, and finally by june they just gave me viocidin and sent me home. August 2nd I got my period, then it stopped about August 17th and I had ALOT of mucus, I mean alot. Then it came back on the 22nd and is getting heavier! HELP

But I haven't gone to the doctor, because I don't have insurance and usually they just throw birth control at people like me. I don't want to take birth control.
I had been pretty regular up until the last year or so, and then I would have slightly shorter and sometimes longer periods. I am 37 and been having abnormal paps, so I thought it was that, and since I have my paps as ordered I thought everything was ok. However, I had never had one as long as I did the last one. It lasted 3 weeks. It was bright red and wouldn't let go, but has seemed to stopped right now. I had an ultrasound and it shows that I have 1 cm of thickening in the endometrial lining, and I have an enlarged uterus. The doctor called and have to get a hysterscopy and a D & C. I am really scared about this. Any advice?
I, too, am having "period" issues. I started around September 20th. I had my period, normal-heavy, for two-three weeks, with a few days where it was light enough to make me think it was over. I went to the doctor, who took some blood and said I wasn't anemic or pregnant (I thought maybe it was a miscarriage because that is what my sister told me happened to her)... She said to wait 2-3 more weeks, and then to come back if I was still on my period. So it continued... After I went to the doctor, I noticed my blood clots were getting bigger, some as big as about half a fist (I have small hands, btw). They kindof looked like spoonfuls of jelly. I went back for my checkup, and was told (without further testing), that I had two options... Massive doses of birth control pills (which we don't want, because of all the side effects), or to take Provera, which is a hormone. We chose the Provera. Last night I took the last pill... I was told to take it for 5 days and then I should start my period again. She said if this period lasts longer than 2 weeks to come back. I haven't started up again yet, but it hasn't even been 24 hours since my last dose. So hopefully this turns out well.
Oh yah forgot to mention I'm also 26, have one child (5 years old), and I have a dropped bladder.
Well Ive been on my period for 6 weeks, And really I am sort of used to it considering I was on it for 3 months a year ago. In the last two years I have been on 5 birth control pills. Only one worked, which was loestrin 24. The Bleeding is moderate with smaller clots, I have cramping and these weird contraction type things. I am now on a pill called Low Ovural that is bogus I was on it 1 month the bleeding never stopped-my Doc keeps saying give it time....hope much time Lady? Until I bleed over? This whole situation makes me wish I was born a male!!!!! And one of the worse things about it besides buying pads every weeks, not being able to wear your cute undies, having cramps all the time, and wearing dark pants is I can't have sex!!! Ugh! My partner is patient and supportive but come on, who wants a chick bleeding all the time....? I'm so pissed off now lofl
I have 4 children.  about a year after the last had a tubal.  ever since then been bleeding like crazy.  2 -3 - 4  weeks..heavy .then slow,  after a few days it starts over again.  sometimes the clots are so big i can't leave home.  ever overflowed a toilet ...trying to catch all that's flowing...have had thyroid checked, ultra sound, internal exam, bloodwork, she can't find a thing wrong with me.  all my life i've had a 5 day period...now this..it's ruining my life.  and my marriage
Well this site and comments have made me feel more normal. i am going on one straight month with my period, on the 9th of feb it will be one month. i am trying to make an apt at the gyno. i have already seen them twice in just a few months. my pap was normal, except for a bacterial infection in which i took all of the meds they gave me and it went away. i have been told since i have irregular periods, before my last which lasts 10 days, as well as the one previous going back to october. but before that i hadnt gotten a period in 5 mths. i am going on 34 yrs old, i have been told this could be perimenopause by a few people, i dont know what to believe. i guess if that is the case they may do blood work to check my estrogen level then prescribe me estrogen pills, i dont care anymore what the outcome may be, as long as it is treatable. i feel okay knowing there are other women in the same boat as i. hopefully as soon as i see the gyno again i will finally ge the answer i am hoping for!