Period lasting for about 6-7 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Period lasting for about 6-7 weeks

I'm 25 and I have always had irregular periods, but now I have had one that has lasted about 6-7 weeks and counting. It's sometimes heavy and then most of the time it's light. Sometimes it's like 'period' blood and other times it fresh - like i've just cut myself. I've been to see the nurse and she did a few blood tests and the results are i have to go back for a prolactin test in 3 months. She also did a pregnancy test - but I can't be pregnant. I'm about 3 stone over weight and the nurse said that wasn't the problem. I am not taking any medication and i'm not on any birth control (my fiance had a vasectomy in 1989). I have recently changed my diet for the better - eating fresh, homemade food instead of processed. I also haven't had any major stress in my life recently. When it first started i was tired a lot - but not after 6 odd weeks, i don't seem to have any side effects. Can someone help please.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
There are so many reasons why women become irregular. You do need to make sure they are checking for anemia with having such an extended period and blood loss. Perhaps you should see a doctor instead of a nurse. They should be running blood tests to check the Thyroid, Bleeding disorders etc.. Women go through changes for no apparent reason as they get older. Not that 25 is old, just that you may be having a hormonal imbalance that is usually treatable with the use of hormone therapy (Birth Control pills). My daughter has had severe bleeding since the onset of her periods and after years of tests and many different pills that would regulate her temporarily she is now back on track with no more pills. In almost 4 years, there was NEVER a reason given for her to have such a problem other than hormonal imbalance. They just couldn't find a single thing wrong to explain it. It is hard to swallow that there is no reason for such a thing I know, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things in seeking medical treatment. Just keep pushing them until you get this figured out and under control. And don't forget to check for anemia. Especially if you are feeling overly tired, weak, or dizzy.
The best of luck to you and I hope you get back on track very soon!
--J
Thanks - I'll be sure to keep at them. I'll be going to the doctor this week or next.
have you been tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome?WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I USE TO HAVE CYCLES FOR weeks at a time they ran test after i went to doctor after doctor even had several d&c,laporascopy,histerpeniograms, still they  found nothing then in 2003 i found uot i had pcos.try getting tested it's worth a try.
I posted this message a while ago and since then, I'm still bleeding.
I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago and he gave me 'Norethisterone' to take and said that would stop the bleeding. It did for the first few days, but after that, the bleeding came back. I've been in a lot of pain and light headed, dizzy and feeling slightly queasy - but not actually being sick. I am going to see the doctor again on the 16th and hopefully he'll refer me to the specialist at the hospital.

It's been an absolute nightmare - i've missed so many days at college and am not going to make it to my exams this week. Not to mention the physical relationship with my fiance - but he's been very supportive - thankfully. It's been really getting me down, so I hope it will get sorted so.

The 16th can't come quickly enough!!!

Thanks for the comments posted by people.
I am going through the same thing, I am going for blood work and ultra sound on the 28th. would love to know how your test turned out.
I also have a nodule on my thyroid that I have to have a byopsy on I don't know if there could be any connection or not guess we'll see. would greatly appreciate any input.
Have you had an ultrasound done? Haa anyone mentioned uterine fibroids. I just had a laparatomy myomectomy done on March 22nd to remove lare fibroids that caused so much pain and irregular bleeding. I've even missed periods for 6 months at a time. My frieds buddy has had the same bleeding issues as yourself. She has to wear two maxi pads at once. She was bleeding so much one day that her tounge turned white and she had to be rushed down to the emergency room (she works at a hospital). It turned out to be a fibroid sitting at the cervix causing all the bleeding. An emergency surgery had to be done.
I am under 30, and for almost 6 years I have been trying to get pregnant. I have had irregular periods ever since my very first one at 15. They last sometimes for 2 or 3 months, and other times they last for 6 - 7 days. Sometimes I won't have a period for 5 or 6 months. I have pushed doctors and I have even gone to the hospital..when I bleed to much. Alll of them have told me nothing. I have even lost my temper with them. No one seems to want to help me. I have taken many birth control pills to regulate me....but I have all the side effects when my period comes. I even tried depro-vera, and I had my period for 9 months. I am desperate, and depressed about it. Please help!!!!
i have had my period for 3 months and i can't get a Dr. appt until September! ahh! anyone have anything similar? i don't have any other side effects really... my breasts hurt sometimes and they have been swollen... they itch like crazy!
my friend is having her period non stop for three months now she has been to a doctor and they gave her pills to take. the period only stops during the time she takes the pill and once they are finish she started to bleed again. what could be the cause and what can she do or ask the doctor to do?
i am 34 and have been trying to get pregnant for 15 years.  when i get a period it will not stop until i take norethisterone.  I try to take this for 3 months for 21 days.  I stop taking it for 7 days  hoping that it will regulate my cycle.  unfortunetly i am only regular for one month and then its back to a heavy period.  i am fed up with my doctor and the gyncologist as they never have an explanation for this.  I have had all the tests done laparoscpy and a DNC.  After reading everyone's messages i do not feel like an alien there are other females in the same boat as me.  I hope oneday  someone can solve this difficult problem.  Any help about getting pregnant will be appreciated - is there no chance of getting pregnant while taking norethisterone.
humy c from glasgow
Ive been on my period for 7 weeks since i had a miscarriage but i dont want to go to the doctors, what is wrong with me?
I've had my period for almost 7 months straight. I called my doctor but can't get an appointment with them until October!! I don't have any pain at all, never have... Sometimes I have huge blood clots and such but most times it's just tiny clots and lots of blood for months on end... I keep searching the net, to see what it is that I have but have not found what my problem is called yet, can't seem to find people who have had it ongoing for as long as me, 7 months.
this is insane that no one seems to get any help to resolve this.  All my doctor does is try to put me on birth control to stop the bleeding and it makes me so sick.  There has got to be some reason for the insane amount of blood coming out of me and the length of time my period lasts.  It lasts over 3 months sometimes and I am a newlywed.  It's terrible.
WOW! I don't feel so alone anymore; not that it solves any of the problems, but it feels a little better not to be the only one with this issue...

I'm 25 years old and up until 2 years ago I was always regular, and I know what caused me to go irregular (stress, being laid off), but I can't figure out why I am going on almost 2 months of being on my period. I've gone up to six months without it and now it's back with a vengence. lol Starting in December of last year, I started getting these really severe pains in my lower right adominal (abdominal) area. At first they said it was food poisoning, then it was ecoli, then it was pylonephrtis, gastrentritus, and finally by june they just gave me viocidin and sent me home. August 2nd I got my period, then it stopped about August 17th and I had ALOT of mucus, I mean alot. Then it came back on the 22nd and is getting heavier! HELP

But I haven't gone to the doctor, because I don't have insurance and usually they just throw birth control at people like me. I don't want to take birth control.
I had been pretty regular up until the last year or so, and then I would have slightly shorter and sometimes longer periods. I am 37 and been having abnormal paps, so I thought it was that, and since I have my paps as ordered I thought everything was ok. However, I had never had one as long as I did the last one. It lasted 3 weeks. It was bright red and wouldn't let go, but has seemed to stopped right now. I had an ultrasound and it shows that I have 1 cm of thickening in the endometrial lining, and I have an enlarged uterus. The doctor called and have to get a hysterscopy and a D & C. I am really scared about this. Any advice?
I, too, am having "period" issues. I started around September 20th. I had my period, normal-heavy, for two-three weeks, with a few days where it was light enough to make me think it was over. I went to the doctor, who took some blood and said I wasn't anemic or pregnant (I thought maybe it was a miscarriage because that is what my sister told me happened to her)... She said to wait 2-3 more weeks, and then to come back if I was still on my period. So it continued... After I went to the doctor, I noticed my blood clots were getting bigger, some as big as about half a fist (I have small hands, btw). They kindof looked like spoonfuls of jelly. I went back for my checkup, and was told (without further testing), that I had two options... Massive doses of birth control pills (which we don't want, because of all the side effects), or to take Provera, which is a hormone. We chose the Provera. Last night I took the last pill... I was told to take it for 5 days and then I should start my period again. She said if this period lasts longer than 2 weeks to come back. I haven't started up again yet, but it hasn't even been 24 hours since my last dose. So hopefully this turns out well.
Oh yah forgot to mention I'm also 26, have one child (5 years old), and I have a dropped bladder.
Well Ive been on my period for 6 weeks, And really I am sort of used to it considering I was on it for 3 months a year ago. In the last two years I have been on 5 birth control pills. Only one worked, which was loestrin 24. The Bleeding is moderate with smaller clots, I have cramping and these weird contraction type things. I am now on a pill called Low Ovural that is bogus I was on it 1 month the bleeding never stopped-my Doc keeps saying give it time....hope much time Lady? Until I bleed over? This whole situation makes me wish I was born a male!!!!! And one of the worse things about it besides buying pads every weeks, not being able to wear your cute undies, having cramps all the time, and wearing dark pants is I can't have sex!!! Ugh! My partner is patient and supportive but come on, who wants a chick bleeding all the time....? I'm so pissed off now lofl
I have 4 children.  about a year after the last had a tubal.  ever since then been bleeding like crazy.  2 -3 - 4  weeks..heavy .then slow,  after a few days it starts over again.  sometimes the clots are so big i can't leave home.  ever overflowed a toilet ...trying to catch all that's flowing...have had thyroid checked, ultra sound, internal exam, bloodwork, she can't find a thing wrong with me.  all my life i've had a 5 day period...now this..it's ruining my life.  and my marriage
Well this site and comments have made me feel more normal. i am going on one straight month with my period, on the 9th of feb it will be one month. i am trying to make an apt at the gyno. i have already seen them twice in just a few months. my pap was normal, except for a bacterial infection in which i took all of the meds they gave me and it went away. i have been told since i have irregular periods, before my last which lasts 10 days, as well as the one previous going back to october. but before that i hadnt gotten a period in 5 mths. i am going on 34 yrs old, i have been told this could be perimenopause by a few people, i dont know what to believe. i guess if that is the case they may do blood work to check my estrogen level then prescribe me estrogen pills, i dont care anymore what the outcome may be, as long as it is treatable. i feel okay knowing there are other women in the same boat as i. hopefully as soon as i see the gyno again i will finally ge the answer i am hoping for!
I see I am not alone. I am 27 years old. I am not on any medication nor am I taking birth control. I experienced the same thing back in 2005, I bled for 56 days, I was given birth control pills to regulate my period but that didn't work. I however remembered that I was stung in the stomach by a wasp.When the situation happend again 56 days later and I was rushed to the hospital. I was given a shot and perscribed benedril and the bleeding stopped. Now Since its winter, I know this is not the case. I have been on my period for nearly three months straight. Not only is it heavy but I have A LOT of Big and Heavy clots as well. I went to my OBGYN. They did the pap smear and pelvic exam. Took blood work. The results all came back negative. My doctor wants to monitor it for a month. Then try birth control pills. Does anyone know what causes this? or what is wrong?
Hi All,
Not sure if anyone is still checking this forum, since most of the responses are a few years old. I was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's basically a hormonal disorder in that you have too much male hormones (androgens) and too much estrogen and not enough progestorne. You can read up on it on the net.

I think the majority of problems with excessive bleeding are all hormonal and all of the prescriptions that the doctors give out only suppress the symptoms that's why when you stop taking them the bleeding comes right back because you haven't addressed what is causing the hormonal imablance, only suppressed it. I"ve started to take things like EstroSense by Lorna Vanderhaeghe and Vitex Angus Castus to help regulate. Other things like diet and excersie are also really important. There are a few people on here that sound like they have the symptoms of PCOS. Weight gain, irregular periods, acne, hair loss, excess hair growth, insulin resistance, infertility, miscarriages etc the list of symptoms goes on and on. But this isn't something that a lot of doctors talk about, but there is more knowledge and new research being done. I would start by ordering some books on Amazon and really looking at the foods and environment you are living in. THere are so many hormones coming into your body from the food you eat- they inject growth hormones into beef and chicken and claim they have no effect on us- but if you are what you eat...... And eating or drinking foods in plastic is huge. There are so many xenoestrogens (the bad ones) in that that just wreck havoc on your body. But there is hope! With diet and excersize and taking the proper supplements I think anyone is able to really get at the core issues and balancing their hormones out. That's just my two cents, but hopefully someone will find it helpful.

Laura
I am a 19 year old girl, and like everyone here I am having problems with my periods. I have had a bleed for the past month now, and I have been to my doctor so many times, as I have been bleeding and I am only 7.5 stone, my mum was quite concerned, as I started feeling sick and dizzy, and am experiencing weight loss. I have always had problems with my periods, and I am looking to resolve this problem. I have been on almost every pill available, and I have also tried taking Norethisterone, and at a different time I tried Tranexamic Acid, but these didnt help. Is there anyone who can help?
WOW, reading all this i now see i am not alone. i have been bleeding for almost 4 weeks str8, and it's really bothering me, i thought it was off one night, and i tried to have sex, but not even 5 min, after i started, i gushed blood all over his thing, and it was basicaly a mood killer. it's really affecting my normal life, i'm irritable all the time, moody, depressed, feel sick, the whole works like i was pregnant, but i'm not. i've had i don't know how many pregnancy tests and they all came back negative, i've had to have surgery to remover cancerous cells on my cervix on jan. 13 of this year, i have had ultrasounds, blood work, the works, and they won't tell me anyting, what should i do?
I know the feeling! I have had my period for weeks now and I have gained 10 plus pounds! This is ridiculous. At least I don't feel so all alone about it now.
god i didn't realise just how many other women this was affecting! i'm 20 and had my period for 7 weeks. I've had stomach cramps a lot of days and havn't eaten much for the last few days because i feel so nauseus.
I went to the doctor a few weeks agoo and they did a thyroid test which came back negative so i'm going back next week to try and sort it out because it's driving me crazy! i've also been getting hot flush kind of things.. has that happened to anyone else??
I am having something similar. I have always had irregular periods and before 2009 I had not had my period for almost a year. Since April 15th I have had my period and it's going on two months now. I went to my Dr. he gave me a blood test and my thyroids are fine. I am not pregnant and so he put me on YAZ. My period still hasn't stopped so I went to the hospital. I have been in a lot of pain and passing big clots. I also have been sick to my stomach and dizzy, also I have had a few hot flashes. The Dr. at the hospital did a few blood test and said my Hemoglobin was very high and I was bleeding my from cervix a little bit. He gave me provarin to take for 10 days  to stop my period. I am on day 6 and the bleeding is still really bad and so is the pain. I have an apt on the 17th! So let's hope they find something...
I am having some of the same things. i have been on my period for over a months now, ended up in the ER like 2 weeks ago. the did a trans-vaginal ultra sound and diagnosed me with Endometrial Hyperplasia, which is a abnormal thickining of the lining of the uterus, caused by excess estrogen. They told me to see a specialist within the next week, but its expensive. i was told i have to have a D&C, which is a minor surgery in which they dialait the cervix and pretty much scrap out my uterus. sounds freaky. but im willing to do anything to get rid of the bleeding and cramps
When i first started menstruating at 12yrs old i would get my period every 2 or 3 months and my period would last 2 weeks or less. Or sometimes it was regular getting it every month and it would last a week or 4 days. But then as I started to get older around 17 & 18. I would get my period every 2 or 3 months but my period would last a month or a month and a couple weeks. I've taken birth control off and on for 4 years and when I go off it, my period goes back to normal, not getting my period for a long time. In 2007 I got my period only 3 times!!! I'm terrified that I'm going to have fertility problems or not be able to conceive.  The wierd thing is that when I do get my period I loose weight is that normal for anyone?  How do you get tested for these kinds of problems?
I am so glad I am not alone on this subject!  I have been having problems for over a year now and still can't figure out what is wrong.  I started having really long and heavy periods with alot of clotting back the Spring of 2008.  I made several trips to the doctor and was placed on Prometrium for 10 days to stop the bleeding.  Afterwards, they say you are supposed to get another period but I didnt till a month later.  A month or so would go by where my period was normal, lasting about 5 days.  Then it would start the cycle all over again and I would end up taking the meds again.  Finally in December, I had a Hysteroscopy and D&C to clean me out.  I was told that there was a few pollups removed and that I have a Bicornuate (heart shaped) uterus.  However, I was told that this would not cause the bleeding.  It was recommended that I get on birth control but I opted out since my husband and I want to try and have kids.  After the procedure in December, everything seemed fine for a few months.  It all started back up in February again.  Every month my period gets longer and longer.  I am now taking Prometrium again to stop the bleeding.  I placed a call to the Gyn office and am awaiting an answer back as to whether I have to go in or not.  I am going to ask him to run blood tests for everything this time especially for hormone imbalance and pcos.
Ok, so I've been irregular since December, which is also when I started having hot flashes at the ripe old age of 28 (now 29 - jan. b-day).  I have not had any kids or been on birth control for years.  I have always been regular and very heavy - every 27/28 days.  At first it started being lighter, which actually made me happy, but then the hot flashes came.  I have had a thyroid ultrasound and I have 2 small nodules.  I was told that they are too small to be causing any problems.  I had my blood levels checked and my hormones are normal.  I told my family doctor, who is wonderful, sometimes better than specialists, that I am still having issues.  On top of all those other symptoms, I have also been depressed, stressed, anxious, and extremely irritable.  My family doctor put me on meds for that, which I am thankful and referred me to an Endocrinologist.  I am so thankful he did that, sometimes I feel like he's the only doctor who ever listens.  (I will hate the day he retires!)  I still have to wait until Oct.  I've been waiting for this appt. for months - I hope he can help because I can't stand this any longer.  Hot flashes are not fun and neither is being depressed or moody!  I just want to be me again!!!!!
Wow... it crazy but it's such a relief to see I'm not in this alone. My cycle has always been irregular but this last month I have my period for 12 days! then came off for a about a week and a half and started again for 5 days, then came off for about 4 days now back on! I'm soooo scared. I'm 29 (30 next month) and really want to have kids but am not married yet. I just dont know what can be going on. I hope I'm not going through early menopause or will need a hysterectomy.. I really really want kids. My family doc put me on birth control ( 2 a day) until the bleeding stop.. it stopped, but then came back. I cant take the birth control anymore because it makes me sick in my stomach. I do have hot flashes and I feel like I just cant lose weight and I work out! My fam doc said I prob have PCOS but it's never been tested. I made an appt with a gyno for the 23rd of this month.. Hopefully my cycle will be over so they can test.... Im really scared.
Going into 50 days.  I thought I had it bad until I read some of the other posts here.  On Provera now, 4th day, not much change.  Doc says I'm too young to be going into peri-menopause.  I thought 46 was about normal.  He wants me back for a pap as soon as my period stops...whenever that may be.  
I am 38 years old and I have had blood tests done pap test and Ultrasounds including vaginal for my abnormal bleeding. I have been bleeding for 4 weeks now. They can not tell me why! All my tests come back normal. I was on birth control for 20 years and stopped taking them 3 years ago after my husbands vasectomy and I have never had children. Does anyone think because I have never had children that would cause abnormal bleeding? I go see my gynecologist on Tuesday I am going to ask her that. I have always been on track with my periods up until about 3 months ago. This really *****!
im  am 21 years old and just recently my irregularity started i have been on my period for 3 weeks now and its scaring me.... idk what to do it didnt even las this long after i had my son at 19 what do i do
I've been regular ever since I first got my period when I was 11, it's a month before my 16th birthday and I've been on my period for about 6 weeks now...Is it a danger? I've never had sex so I can't be pregnant nor had a miscarriage but sometimes the blood is clotted or it's a bit like jelly. Well I've never seen it do that before so I'm at a loss at what to do.
I'm hopefully going to see my GP tomorrow, I haven't been feeling terribly dizzy but sometimes I get a bit flushed or have an occasional **** but nothing painful; just like a normal cramp. I am overweight, that I do know, which is entirely my own fault, so in the past month I've changed my diet and I've been eating more fruit, walking more, drinking more water...all the normal healthy stuff. Could this be what's making my body complain? I thought that maybe, as I use tampons, that I could have torn something; though I don't think it would still be bleeding as bad. Sometimes it's like I've cut myself, very red and more like ink and sometimes it's the normal burgundy brown colour and a little bit thicker. Can anyone help? I'm only just starting to get worried and I've told my mum and we're going to the doctors but is it really anything to worry about as I'm so young? Or is that the problem; I am so young?
I went to see my GP this morning and he just seemed a bit baffled with my case. We went through all the questions and he just sort of looked at me like I'd grown a second head. But in the end he put me on "Norethisterone" and I'm to take one 3 times a day for ten days. I've reread the leaflet several times and it says that it's also good if you suffer from "Endometriosis". If this trial doesn't work then I have to go back for blood tests and if nothing comes back from that I don't know what I'll do; I don't really want to go on the pill cos I don't need it, but if this doesn't work then I shall be asking you all some more questions. If not by then any input you all have would be very welcome as it might come in handy later on.
Did the 10 days of Provera...no help.  Doc gave me a hormone shot on Wednesday of last week and told me to stay off from work the rest of the week to give it a better chance to work since I work nights and am on my feet all night.  This is Monday and it still hasn't stopped, although it's showing signs of slowing down.  This is so frustrating!  Thinking about investing in a bottle of Krazy Glue and a cork.
So relieved to know I am not alone. Going into my 5th week of a period this time, sometimes it lasts 2/3 weeks then stops for 2/3 weeks, sometimes longer, I dont know where I am, can never just go out 'unprotected' its so depressing. My stomach is bloated, I've put on half a stone and I also have a whooshing noise in my ears....like when you put a shell against it and hear the sea?.
I was thinking it might just be an age thing, I'm 47.
Going to the doctors next week.
  Did the Provera, took the hormone shot.  Now I'm on generic Ortho-Tricyclen.  Starting my third month of this, and am getting very frustrated, depressed, and aggravated.  Lethargic, disgusted with how I feel all the time.  Tired when I go to bed, tired when I get up.  Exhausted at work and can't afford to miss because I'm divorced and footing all my bills alone.  (Complainer's Corner is over here, by the way.  LOL)
  And, Gaiill, the "whooshing" sound you hear is classic of tinnitus, another symptom of menopause.  Got that one, too.  Sometimes I can barely hear myself think over the noise, or that's how it seems, anyway.
  I always heard that you started falling apart at 40.  I must have been a 'late-bloomer'.  I didn't start falling apart 'til 45.  But I'm making up for lost time, now, boy.
Ive been on NuvaRing for 3 months now and my gyno told me i could keep it in for the 4 weeks and change it after bc there was no point in me having a period right now. About 2 weeks ago i started to get a light brown discharge and now it has gotten darker, but its not heavy until i work out, and doesnt hurt and im not haveing cramps or bloating. is this normal since i dont have my period monthly?
OMG i feel a bit better knowing im not the only one, i am 23 and have had my period for About 11 week in the last couple of days it has been really bad!! ive been to 3 different doctors and they all jus keep telling me to take pills first i was on levlen (contraception pill) which made me extreamly sick now im on primolut n, and nothing has changed
i dont understand these doctors they just dont seem to care!!!!
its soo scary. I also have a 3 yr old and cant afford to b tierd all the time!
HELP!!
I couldn't remember whether I posted again after my second post so here I am again. The trial of Norethisterone worked for me. After the very first pill my period stopped and I continued to finish the trial and my periods are regular again; no small clots or anything like that. It really did work, so if you haven't been on this particular pill then you should definitely try it if nothing else worked for you. I think it is a contraceptive pill (it also delays a period for a honeymoon or a date) but it only lasts for however long the trial is. Doesn't have a funny taste and the pills are quite small again. When you finish the trial about 4-5 days after your period starts again and if it doesnt work then you just do another one, but luckily for me my periods are regular again.
Wow, did not realize I wasn't alone.

Not only are my symptoms very similar, but the road blocks with my doctors are the same.

I'm 21 years old, and for the past 5 years my period have been strange, huge, and sometimes non existent.

I was just recently bleeding at a normal rate for about 5 months, Then I stopped bleeding for 3 days, and it's now back with a vengence I have not experienced yet. Bleeding through a super tampon in a matter of 20 minutes. Not being able to sleep without bleeding through a tampon and an overnight pad every few hours, living with my boyfriend it is downright embarrasing.

I've gone to the doctors, The only real answer they give me is birth control, of course this option is only after they tell me that it will be difficult to conceive children. I'm in a healthy 5 year relationship, and independent. Why would I further lower my chances to get pregnant?

Birth Control is not an answer, it's like giving Tylenol to someone with a brain tumor. Helps a little, but it just masks to problem. I want someone to find out what is wrong with me first, then see where we can go from there.

I've been tested for PCOS, Negative.
I've had an ultrasound of my utuerus and ovaries.
I've had a horomone screening.

I'm normal, docs don't bat an eye.
I always feel like the doctor is looking down at me. Like saying, take a damn birth control pill, stop bitching, and let me get back to my job.

It's so frustrating.

And the pain! The pain is so horrible, I can't bend down at all, I feel like my insides are exploding, and my job is less than understanding about it, I've missed so many days due to this.

I wish there was an answer, or a specialist I could go to that deals with this issue specifically. Is it something this generation ate or breathed? Why is this horrible life altering problem so damn common?

It's messing with my life, a hazard for my job, a strain on my relationship, and an emotion rollarcoaster of being scared that I'll never be able to conceive.
So comforting to hear everyone's experiences! I am 24, and my periods have been irregular for basically as long as I've been having them. I was on birth control five years ago, but haven't gone near the stuff since due to weight gain and a massive loss of sex drive.
These days I might skip my period for five months, or have one that lasts three days and is so heavy I'm running to the bathroom every half hour. At the moment I have been bleeding lightly for nearly one moth. I am quite healthy, and positive that this issue is not related to diet. So what's the deal?!
Doctors have always told me that it is normal to be irregular, and there's nothing actually wrong, and that I can go on birth control to sort out the problems. It sure doesn't feel normal to me.

I came across this interesting article about the man who invented the birth control pill in the New Yorker (http://www.gladwell.com/2000/2000_03_10_a_rock.htm.) It gives some insight into women, hormones, evolution and pregnancy. Definitely worth a look. Although it doesn't really offer any practical advice, it certainly made me feel better to see what my body is expecting in terms of hormones versus what it's actually getting. This article made me feel that it's time for someone to re-vamp the birth control pill completely, because the guy who created it...well, read the article :).
I'm so glad I found this forum.  I just got off of BC 4 and a half months ago after being on it for 11 months. I had 2 very light periods and am now on my third and it has been going on for over 3 weeks now. I went to the Gyno who wants me to take provera or a bc pill and I really don't want to take any more medicine that is going to affect my body further.  I'm trying to wait for it to just regulate itself but it is mentally draining being on my period for soooo long.

Does anyone have any ideas how to naturally regulate periods?
I have the same problem as everyone, i have always have unusual cycles and just 2 years ago i had my period for 2 months str8, like everyone says sometimes it will be clumps and sometimes its so light it looks like fresh blood that i got a cut from. I talked to my sister who had the same problem and saw a chinese aupunture, she said that she went through the acupunture and after the chinese doctor gave her some herbal medcine for her to drink like a tea daily for 7 days and her period would disappear, 8 days later her period disappear and she afterwards had monthly then she got prengant. i took my stepmom to see the chinese doctor since she had that same problem the aupuncture doctor told me that since a serious of women dont have their period for a while there are blood clugs around around the walls of our urteus and just like glue eveymonth our ovaries releases an egg and when you dont get your period or when it your suppose to have your period your blood gets stuck on its walls and you bleed for awhile like your body was trying to clean itselfI ask my sister if she still had the tea, she gave me them and i drank it, after about 9 days after that my period stopped and i had regular periods. Now i'm back on bleeding for a month, i was thinking about seeing a doctor, but from what everyone is saying and all the stress everyone went through, i shouldnt go see a doctor, i should make a trip to the chinese aupunture, im going to drink the herbal tea again hopefully it works again, anyone who has the same problem should consider that too.
It worked!! I went to see the aupunture and she gave me a bag with stuff like tea, i dranked it for 3 days and already i saw my period was clearing up, then on my 5th day its completely gone, now i'm not even bleeding anymore. I was sooooo happy i dont even have to wear a pad anymore.
Hi...I'm 48, have 4 children and never had a problem with my period until recently.  Have never been on birth control really (tried the pill once back in my early 20's but it make me bleed continuously).  Back in January I had a normal period, it stopped then less than a week later it started again lasting for 4 days.   Didn't have a period then for over 2 months...  I thought I might have been pregnant.  Finally I got my period  about 3 weeks ago but now it wont stop!  It's getting worse on a daily basis.  I'm going through tampons every 30 minutes and getting major clotting.  Went to a doctor yesterday, she did an internal and said that everything seemed normal.  No polyps... no pain... She also did a pregnancy test to see if I could have had a miscarriage but it came back negative.  I'm going crazy here... I cant really go outside the house far because I'm constantly bleeding through even when using 2 tampons and a maxi pad. I'm a single mom with a fairly new bf (so much for sex), I have my own cleaning business which is really starting to take off but now I cant work... I also have an ex husband who  doesn't give me or his kids one penny so I need to work to support and feed my kids!  I don't have any other signs of peri-menopause or anything, I'm fit, athletic and have never had a health issue in the past other than severe stress over the past couple of years.  Does this seem like it could be peri-menopause symptoms?  It really helps knowing that there are others going through the same things...
I made a post a while back about my period not ending. I went to the vitamin shoppe and picked up what is called "omega women", it's an evening primrose oil blend and a day after taking it my period was extremely light and soon after it ended. I have been taking it daily and have had a normal period. maybe something to try.
I am 25 years old and I've been on my period for about a month and a week now. I had been spotting in between periods for the last year, and last month my period started and hasn't yet ended. I also get hot flashes frequently, and have developed scalp acne. I am curious about whether or not the women who posted in 2006 have resolved their problem. I am also curious about everyone's level of alcohol consumption? No one has mentioned anything about alcohol on this thread. I used to have very heavy bleeding and terrible cramping when I was younger, but after I began drinking, the bleeding was lighter and the cramping disappeared. But I have read that alcohol causes hormonal imbalances. I have about one drink a day, and occasionally binge drink maybe once or twice a month. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this!
I am pretty much the same as everyone else, one thing i havent seen mentioned is that, i have the implanon inserted. Has anyone else got this?
Getting really annoying now, got a doctors appointment tomorow so hopefully it will be sorted! But getting quite worried reading all your comments saying about how serious this could be, and the doctors dont really seem to care!
So I'm 16 and have had major issues with my period I recently went and got an IUD put in and my gynacologist put me on Sesonique but my cramps are intense and I've been on my period heavily for the past two weeks any help?
I had a problem with prolonged periods, sometimes lasting several months at a time with an average of one day of no bleeding each month.  It came on suddenly after having periods so regular, you could keep a calendar by my cycle.  I went to the gynocologist and she put me on some Provera to force the uterine lining to shed.  But that was just a symptom fixer.  The real problem she wanted to test for was a thyroid issue, so she sent me to an endocrinologist.  He tested my thyroid and it turned out I have Hashimoto's disease.  It sounds scary, but it is a very common problem with the thyroid.  It's an autoimmune disease.  Basically, your body sees your thyroid as a foreign object and attacks it.  Since your thyroid regulates a lot in your body, it can do a lot of things to you.  There are lots of symptoms, but the ones I experienced most were:  weight gain, prolonged periods, exhaustion, feeling tired all the time.  It will even cause the outer third section of your eyebrows to thin... may seem strange, but look in the mirror and see if your eyebrows are thinning on the outer third.

Even if it's not Hashimoto's or even a thyroid problem, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to see an endocrinologist as well as a gynecologist for period problems.  There are so many hormones in the body that can mess with your period and most take a simple synthetic hormone pill to fix.  I take a synthetic thyroid pill and it works great.  

Seeing a gynecologist only can result in a lot of frustration with taking several kinds of birth control pills to regulate irregular periods when that will do NOTHING for the hormone problem which could be the CAUSE for the prolonged period.  

Worth a try for a lot of you I think!!
Hi everyone, ive also been bleeding for about 7 weeks none stop im 37 and ive had problems with periods for years im finally seeing a consultant on the 25 this month.

Ive been really worried and thinking the worse as i lost my mum and dad through cancer, i feel a bit better now reading im not on my own through this.  I feel drained and moody all the time which isnt fair to my husband or children i hope i get it sorted i will keep you updated.

anyone out there that is just getting fobbed off by there doctor put your foot down as its not normal to bleed for that long good luck everyone xxx cerrie x
I'm 17 and my peroid will has lasted 3 going on 4 weeks. At first they where normal then they didn't stop but the thing is they aren't heavy there pretty light I'm just scard this isn't normal because I've i have never had a period last more then 5 days. Even thuogh I'll get me period one month and it won't come until two months later or 26 days later it's never been this long.
Hi Everyone! Well first thing I have to say is why do woman have to deal with all this crap? I say the men should have to deal with periods!! haha..I'm not sure if anyone will still be reading these posts..I hope so..I'm 36 years old..I am happily married. and a proud mom of 2 awesome boys..Riley is 7 years and Brody is 11 months..After i had my c section with Brody I had my tubes tied..since then I've developed high blood preasure...(severe hypertension actually) and my periods have been awful!! I am going on 7 weeks straight now..heavy bleeding..blood clots..cramping and this awful lower back pain that will not go away!! After reading all your posts about going thru the same thing..I was wondering what everyone's outcome was..I am going out of my mind trying to figure out what could be wrong with me and I'm scared to death!! I'm going to the Dr's tomorrow and praying for good news..My mom died of cervical cancer and alot of people in my family have had it..It could be nothing but of course you always think the worst..any info would be great!! Thanks :)
im 20 and i was on the depo vera contraceptive injection, i came off it in september after being on it for 3 years because i gained 7 stone on it and kept getting infections, my periods came back and lasted a week like normal, them 6 weeks ago i started a period and it just hasnt stopped.
ive got a history of abdo pain since i was 11 and got referred to a gyne dr at 18, i had my cervic caurterized and a lapo done still no answer or resolve to the abdo pain.
my period varies from normal, fresh, black and brown then fresh again.
any advice???
I'm 47.  Had not had a period since early April.  Started a few weeks ago and it is still going strong.  Seem to bleed a lot when I sit on the potty -- just whooshes out.  No pain, no other side effects.  Almost 2.5 weeks now.  Going to the doctor tomorrow, but can they do an exam while I'm still menstruating?  Is excessive bleeding a sign of 'the change' coming on?
Hi, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to myself, I am 29 and i have been on my period for 8 months now, having only had a week off in the whole of the time, i feel awful but doctor just gives me birth control pills to try, i dont think they care that it can ruin our lives!! i am so tired and moody all the time, i have finally had blood test for thyroid so maybe that may shed some light!
Hi im 27 years old i have had my peroids for over two months when i think there gone they come back a few hours later . I could fell a lump on my left breasy just on the right side of it and than it disapears and than i fell it again its not sore but about a week ago my hold left breast was sore would i need to visit my doctor ?
Hi  im 27 years old i have my period for the last 8 weeks or more some times it's just a bit of blood but it has not gone away now i feel a lump in my left breast at the end of it just near  the out side near the middle of the breast like the shape of a pea but sometimes i check and it's gone would i need to see my gp please comment
more information im nearly 18 stone and would my size have anything to do with it im single and don't smoke or drink .
Hi all,
Looks like this is a nightmare that would never end. I have had my periods for 2 months now. i have consulted a gynacologist and my Gp they put me on a pill to stop the bleeding but still no luck. Im tired all the time, but cant sleep at night. The doctors say it's stress, but the only thing that's stressing me out right now is "THIS" situation. I wish that doctors could be more precise rather that prescribing lots of expensive medication that doesn't work.
I hope that everyone previously had help because this is not a pleasant situation and definately not something us women have to go through, as is we dont have enough to worry about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've experiexed the exact same thing kitty89209. I'm also 20.. but no lapo or cevix thinggy done. I've done blood test and am hoping to get results soon plus the ultrasound done sometime tomorrow...wish me luck!
I am a 48 y.o woman who is absolutely freeking out. I've had my period for over 3 weeks now. up until now, I have had regular periods, albeit extremely painful, clotting and heavy, I figured it was the way it was for older women. I am hoping that I am just going through the change and that this will be the "end" of it, but I am relieved to know that many others (especially you younger girls) are experiencing the same symtoms (symptoms).
I am so glad i typed this in google. I felt quite in my own boat. I have always had heavy periods from my very 1st period. But when i had the contraceptive implant fitted into my arm september 2009, i now have periods lasting 6-8weeks, eventually stop for 2-3weeks and back to the 6+ weeks. I am 20 years old, im not overweight and im not overweight, im a healthy 8-10, get enough excersise. anyway i went back to my doctor and they just said it was the side affects of the implant. Gave me a contraceptive pills to take day after day with no break. Yes this stopped the bleeding but surely that cant be healthy to keep the blood inside, could this cause clots?? etc.. So i decided to stop taking the pills after 3months non stop taking them and by day 2 the bleeding was back with a vengance. Ahhh surely theres got to be something else
I am a Spaniard living in USA now. I had my first period when I was 11, and it has always been irregular until I arrived to USA 3 years ago. Then I started to have it every 27-29 days. I come from a big city and here I live in a small town, so I thought that this helped my period to be more regular, however, it kept being very painful the 2 first days.
My last normal period was the week after Labor Day. After that nothing until Halloween, so I skip it one month. it is going to be 3 weeks that I have it non-stop. At first, I had to use over-night pads during the day, and I had to change them several times a day. Of course. at night, I had to use 2.
I have very big clots, some of them even hurt, and I also have fresh blood bleeding. For the weight, I have lost 5 pounds since I had it for Halloween, which I think is due to the blood that I had stored from my missing period.
Right now, I still have to wear a tampon and a pad at the same time, but it looks like it's close to be done. An it wasn't painful at all this time.
I don't know if the changes in my food did something. It is also true that I had several changes in my life that made me feel stressed.
I have been thinking about going to a doctor here, but after reading you guys, I see that doctors don't seem to have any idea of what this is.
I am happy that I found women with the same problem as me, I don't feel alone now.
By the way, I'm 35 and no kids.
I am 29 years old and infertile, my husband and I have been trying for four years to get pregnant. They said it was pcos and they put me on clomid which made me not so pleasant and then they put me on Metformin and said take it for seven days and then you should start your period. After two days I was in the hospital with extreme bleeding. Now I get my period once every couple of months and it lasts for three or more weeks. This month I have had one for a month as of the 3rd of Dec. It is really runny sometimes and then I think I am done and boom I will have clots that are as big as my palm of my hand. This cant be normal. I am open to suggestions. Thanks
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1406094?personal_page_id=1906874

Hopefully the above link works, it's to a fairly long post I didn't want to try to re-write that is to do with my own experience and personal hell of heavy uterine bleeding and irregular periods. If it doesn't work, go to 'Womens Health' and look for the question posted called 'abnormal uterine bleeding'.
   This is what happened to me and what I did to stop it. I believe the bottom line is that our bodies are aturated with excess hormones, natural and synthetic and they are wreaking havoc in our bodies. Read it if you want , see what you think, try it , you have nothing to lose. I'm not a a professional, just and average woman who was feeling so alone and so like my only choices were to take heavy duty synthetic, dangerous hormones or have my female parts removed! I chose not to do that, and I am so glad because it was totally uncessecary, I did it all with diet and lifestyle change, a few supplements I was obviously deficient in and tadaaah!!! Check it out girls, it took a while, for me, almost 2 years, not everyone will take that long, I was doing the research as I went and it was trial and error, but for most it will not be that long. You don't get loaded up with those endocrine disrupting chemicals overnight it 's not going to clear out over night either, patience important! I'm not selling anything either LOL
I am currently entering my 7th week on being on my period. When I was younger (well until maybe 3 years ago) my periods ran like clockwork. Very regular and never too much of a problem. Since then I do for a couple of months a year have a regular cycle, then things will stop and I wont get anything for months on end. When I do finally start again it last for an age. 3 months last time, goodness knows this time!

To make things worse I tend to have a couple of weeks of normal to light periods and just when I think its stopping I get huge clots and heavy bleeding. A lot of the time during this phase it will be really red, like I have had an injury rather than the 'normal' colour.

I suffer with severe depression and so because of this my stress levels can be very high. Unfortunately that is the reason for the disruption. I find it really quite difficult to deal with at times.
Well, where to start. First, I am glad I found this site, however my issues are still a bit different and I have YET to find someone with the same exact issues I have.

Here they are: my periods are actually consistent (a consistent irregular, if that makes sense, lol)  

My period usually lasts anywhere from 4-8 weeks (1-2months) and is VERY VERY light. When I clot, the clots are very small (about the size of a pea) If it wasn't for hygiene, I could pull off wearing 1 super tampon a day. (obviously, I change it for hygiene purposes)

I have NO cramping, no back pain, no breast tenderness- Basically I have no symptoms one usually gets when their on their period.

After 1-2 months of being on my period, im OFF my period for about 1-2 weeks, then it starts all over again, 1-2 months of a very very light period, etc.

I am 25 years old. I am on NO medication. Hmmm. Anyone else who has the same issue as me?
I know I just posted, but on another note, my sister has had very irregular periods too, hers are the complete opposite of mine; she will go months and months without a period, and when she gets hers, its VERY heavy and painful- HOWEVER, the docs told her she was going to have a very hard time conceiving and may never be able to have a child.  She JUST found out shes pregnant! Its all about timing the doc said

For those who dont ovulate, or dont know when they ovulate, keep trying! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE :)
i am 21 years old i have had d implanon for about 1 year 1/2
i have always been irregular in my periods ever since i started.
for the past 2 years i have had periods that last from 4-7 weeks and more .
on monday i will have been going on my 7 week on my period nd to top it off i have been gaining weight .
i do not believe that its because of the implanon , but i am not a doctor so i do not know . i am planning to go to the doctor next week to see if they can tell me anything . ill keep you posted .
Could have cyst
I have been having very regular periods for 7 years .. i am 20 ryt nw .
when i ws 18 i and my bf had been physically intimate nd i used a birth control pill my periods gt irregular fr almost 8 months nd den became regular  again.
in jan 2011 i had periods fr 4-5 days nd dey stopped fr a while i.e lyk 5-6 days nd started again nd dey are still gng on
i am scared. help me. I am a bit overweight
I'm 14. My period has lasted for around 5 weeks. I'm kind of scared..I've heard that when you first start your cycle changes a little but this is drastic! My first period was when i was 11 or 12 lasting 4-7 days. I told my mom and she told me if it doesn't stop in a couple of days to tell her. Well it was a couple of days and i got really sick with the flu so we went to the doctor, my mom told me to mention my period was lasting so long but i chickened out and told her it was stopping, because it got lighter. But a couple days after that it got heavier again, I'm really scared if any of you have information please help.
I work at a doctors surgery and have recently had the same trouble. I have been on my period for 9 weeks now it started just before jan 2011! I have the implanon in my left arm and first went to my own doctors a week into my period because my boyfriends mum said she heard some girls are getting pregnate whilst on the implanon. My doctor said he hasnt heard anything and the implanon stick in my arm felt fine and i assured him i wasnt preganate becuase i was on my period.

After about 7 weeks i went back to my doctors because I was still on my period and he (just like all doctors everyone else seems to have on this forum) threw me more birth control! I started taking it and after a couple of days it stopped then another three days later I am still on my period.

Because I work at a doctors surgery as a receptionist there are lots of medical books around me and best of all a book call the mims which tell doctors about what dosage they should give patients and what the side affects are to all drugs and treatments. Well i looked up the birth control my doctor gave me to me, wasnt worried about it....then i looked up the implanon.

WARNING: The implanon had no page number next to it becuase it has been discountinuted since December 2010!

I then asked a nurse at the surgery i worked at to find out more and she gave me a printed out copy of the implanon report by BBC Health. It is true that girls have gotten pregnate on the implanon and I am going straight to my doctors on monday to have this taken out and putting a new one in called the nexcaplon (something like that anyway) I am also going to ask for a full blood test with everything possible and an ultra sounds becuase the implanon is meant to steady out your periods especially since i have been on it 2 years now even my doctor was shocked when i saw him when i had been on for 7 weeks,

So i advice anyone on the implanon to go to your doctors and either get the updated version or get the coil.

Sorry for the essay I hope it helps.
I have had my period for 1yr and 2mnths straight. My gyno has tried several things I am now on the mirena Imolabt and have been for about 5mntgs now but it still hasn't stoped it. I'm so over it I don't wish this life style on anyone. I just wish they would find the cause.
I am so relieved to hear i'm not alone. i am 25 and have had  my period for over 5 weeks and its heavy sometimes and light sometimes and I get horrible stabbing period pains alot of the time.  I have implanon as my birth control.
I just turned 22 and I also just had a baby in dec and I started my period on March 10th and it has not stopped ! It was never heavy realy just spotting and sum days i don't bleed all day and I think it's over but then il wake up at night or the next day and il be bleeding !! I'm freakin out and don't k ow what to do . My obgym doctor did a pap after baby and Sao I tested positive for HPV witch is a virus that causes cancer but I never went back cuz it freaked me out . I also got a IUD (form of birthcontrol also known as marina) will sum
One please give me sum kind of knowledge b4 I go insane
Please get your thyroid tested TSH T3 and T4
I am 20 years old, and have been having very irregular periods. Well i think is a period not for sure tho i have been to the doctor several times and they don't no whats wrong with me. I'm going on my 3rd month of non stop bleeding. And i'm getting worried, They did an ultra sound and didn't see anything that looked weird or out of place. So i keep going back to hopefully get a full answer to what would be wrong with me. I get dizzy alot and when its really hot out i loose my hearing for a few seconds. Could this be life threatening? Does anyone have this same problem, that nos what could be going on with me?
I have been having my period since April 7th and still going.. I have also like many of you have had dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches and nausea. I went to the Hospital a few days back and I had some blood test done, I'm not pregnant (don’t have any kids), and I’m not anemic. I'm 30 yrs old. I have always had really bad cramps and a heavy period. Now I have next to no cramps and a normal to relatively light period, but its being going on for almost a month now. I have another appt with a GYN Dr in 2 weeks hope fully I will finally know what been going on with me. I used WebMD to search for my symptoms and what I found is that most of the problems described the person is Obese.. Well I’m 5'10 and overweight by about 30lbs. I'm not in the obese category. I have had people tell me it could be stress, which I know it’s not.. I work from home so little to no stress to me. I have even tried to take vitamins that didn’t work at all..
I'm 17 and mine are always different. They are either fairly light and last up to 3 months or REALLY heavy and last about a week. But since the 3rd of this month I've had an extremely heavy period and it will not stop! It let up and I finally thought it was done but then it got even heaver than before. It makes me extremely tired during the day and just drains me. I went to the dr's once and they never really gave me an explanaion
I'm 21 and have been married for 1yr and  2 weeks. I've started my period back in march and haven't stopped. we been trying to get pregnant since we got married and my periods but my period has always been irregular sometimes not coming for a few months, but this is the first time Ive bleed this long. i cant go to a doctor cause we don't have health insurance or money. I've also been  having blood clots as big as my fist or bigger. Its so annoying but my husband is really supportive and understanding but its depressing. we wanted to start a family right away but its taken longer and now my health (period) is in the way.
I am 32 and the proud mother of my "miracle" child who is 5 months old. I spent years in infertility clinics being experimented on and told by various doctors that there was no explanation for my painful, irregular periods, hair growth on my body and excessive body weight in spite of being active and healthy. Finally, after $20K and finding the right doctor I was diagnosed with PCOS.  It is NOT a gynecological disorder. At root is a hormone imbalance which is attributed to the genetic desensitization to insulin (a hormone) that affects insulin absorption and reproduction.  As reported on CNN Medicine last week, it has been attributed to a genetic abnormality that's passed from mother to daughter.  It is not diabetes; people with PCOS make enough insulin - their cells just don't absorb it properly. According to the MAYO Clinic, it is a HORMONAL disorder. I was born with it. I went to an ENDOCRINOLOGIST and within two months after the proper diet (Insulin Resistance Diet available on Amazon) for someone with PCOS and the appropriate medication to regulate my hormones, my beard went away, my periods were normal and I lost 32 lbs. A year later, I was pregnant, NATURALLY, without any infertility assistance. I had a healthy, perfect baby. The moral of the story: when you have a hormonal disorder, you see an expert in hormonal disorders, i.e., an endocrinologist.  Don't allow a General Practitioner or Gynecologist, and especially a "nurse' to treat you when you have a hormonal condition.  Nine times out of ten, most "nurses" now in Doctor's offices in the US are not RN's, many of whom have years of postgraduate training beyond the standard 4 years in college; they are medical assistants and there's a world of difference between the two. "Nurses", GP's and gynecologists do not have the training or expertise to assist you. It's your health and you have every right to get aggressive about it. Demand to see the proper person.
I AM 26 YEARS OLD I AM HAVE IRREGULARS PERIODS I HAVE THEM EVERY OTHER MONTH I USUALLY HAVE THEM FOR ABOUT A WHOLE MONTH I HAVE PCOS I WAS WONDERING IF BLEEDING THAT LONG IS NORMAL FOR A PERSON THAT HAS PCOS
Ive been through the same thing also.i started geting irreqular periods when i was 16,(after i had gone off depro-vera).my period from then lasted for almost a whole year.I went to seek help from a gynocologist,got a ultra sound and pelvic exam done but then i got told there was nothing wrong.another year went and i still had problems and ended up in hospital.I got diagnosed with PCOS and got given Metphormin tablets to take for 6months.since then my periods have been normal.i am now 21 and have had no prob
Wow. Its encouraging to know I am not alone.  I also realise that I am so lucky to be dealing with these issues later in my life after I have had all my children.  My heart goes out to you all.
I am a 39 years old and  I always thought heavy periods were normal as I had always had one.  Then over this last year I have haemoraged (I think thats how you spell it) three times, and ended up with periods that would go on for three 1/2 weeks and then it gives me 4- 5 day brake and start all over again. My iron levels got very low, and my overall health was compromised considerably.  After seeing my Gynaecologist over the period of the last year, she has ended up fitting me with a
'Mirena."  This has limited my bleeding to what most teenages have but I still bleed for 3 1/2 weeks.  But my health is improving.  I too cant have the pill as it makes me very very ill and therefore the next step if this Mirena hadn't worked would have been to have a hysterectomy which they really don't want to do at my age.  The cause of my problem is hormone imbalance and a larger than normal womb.

Too all those who are still struggling with things, may I encourage you to keep on asking for help, to keep on knocking on doors until you get an answer that works and keep talking with your friends about your emotions in regards to this.  Emotionally I find this the hardest, trying to keep a balance on my out look on the world when you are ridding the roller coaster of period emotions is very tricky. But take heart some where there is an answer and a possible solution to your problem.
Wow! So many women going through what I have too. I was ill last new years eve, incredible abdominal pains that only lasted about an hour, then I got my period, I didn't think much of it as I was due around about that date. The period lasted until May 28th!
   I had been to the doctors, had tests and everything and no one can find anything wrong, I had to start taking iron supplements as I was losing that much blood I became quit poorly.
   I haven't been on another period since. I have always been irregular, but not a much as this! Why can't Doctors figure out what's wrong?!
I've been having issue since I had my daughter 3 years ago! I won't have my period for 4 to 6 months then ill bleed for 2 ta 3 week be normal then next month then back to nothing for months..i had gained a lot of weight when I was pregnant and had gained wait right before with a miscarriage..my daughters would just tell ne its my weight and send me on my way..since I last seen my doctor I started eating better and working out. I've lost about 25bls but I work a lot so I don't always have time for the gym. What free time I have I wanna be home. But anyways I want ti have another child and have been trying since my.last I'm only 24...my husband is 29 what can I do to regulate so I can try to have another kid..
I'm 27 n I've been bleedin for 41 days n still countin. I've been to doctors n take birth control n still nuttin. I'm. Constantly throwin up, get dizzy, lightheaded n really weak n always gettin abdominal pains. I've. Always been irregular, I wld go 6 months without a perdiod n just 11 months ago I gave birth n ever since then I will go 2 dayxs da most witout bleedin. I dnt know wat to do anymore sumone help plz
I also have been having similar problems, I am not trying to get pregnant but I do fear I wont be able to when I do try I am an newlywed and before I got married this would happen from time to time.   I had an IUD about 4 years ago and fell into the .001% that suffers from PID.  I am now on my 3 or 4th week of bleeding it started extremly light to the point where I could get away with not even using a tampon or anything. I recently started working out about a week ago and now its extremely heavy and the clots are very large. I have not gone to the doctor though because this happens once or twice a year. I know I should go. I am terrified. I am a MA so I know better than not going and I come from a family of nurses so I do kno to go I just am too scared.
Hey guys. I've been having this same issue for 6 years going on 7 now. :) And it is grand let me tell you. I'll go max of up to 3 months bleeding. It'll be a normal flow at first then it'll slack off and just lightly trickle for the next however long it decides to stay.  And it likes to play a game with me. It'll stop for a few hours and I get excited about it, but then it starts again. I don't really have any pains or anything. I lose pigment in my skin. Meaning, I turn ghost white. My parents tell me I need sun, and my grandmother asks me if I'm sick and hands me an orange when she sees me. The sad thing is I spend most my time outside in the sun. I love laying out and being in the pool and I've spent nearly all this summer in it. I'm not naturally pale. I have a tan skin tone normally, being of Persian decent.  Haha... I've gotten so used to my period being a pain I actually gave it a name. I named it Frank. Why? Because Frank sounds like the name of tall build tan man in a white wife beater shirt who is an ***. When I'm on my period I say "Franks in town on business." And when he's here for a long time I say "Franks in town on an extended trip" My friends laugh and say "Well, maybe he missed you?" Because there are the times I'll go without a period for long periods of time.

But, every time I go to my OBGYN she say there is nothing wrong with me. And  always prescribes me birth control, with which I have the same problems as many of you do. It'll work for a few hours then my period will come back. Or as the doctor called it "break through bleeding". So... all that aside... I'm normal? I don't think that's normal at all. But, I take it as my doctor could careless as long as she's getting a pay check. She doesn't seem interested in spending time trying to figure out what's wrong. She doesn't even do anything when I go see her. She sticks her fingers in my whoo-ha, wiggles em around for a bit then she asks the normal follow up questions and that's it. When I ask about running tests she says "Oh, there's no need for that. This is normal for girls who are a bit over weight. Just stick to your birth control and it'll even it out, K?"

Well 6 yrs now I still am not regular. Birth control isn't working and my doctors are not sympathetic towards my condition.
i have a friend that has been bleeding non stop for 18 months she has been to the doctors tryed birth control tryed al the tablets but they dont even stop it for a day i am gettin worried now as she is struggling to even walk up the stairs without gettin servealy out of breathe and being lathargic she has three children the youngest is 18 months that is when it all started but she is struggling to even pick them up she has suffered from anemia since she was 13 she is now 22 so that does not help but the doctors dont seem to be doing anything so if anyone nos anything that will help i would really appriciate it if you colud let me no so i can let her no
thank you
I first got my period on my 11th birthday and it was really, really heavy, and really abnormal.  My doctor at the time prescribed all these tablets and then when I was 14 he prescribed this "trial" tablet that worked wonders.  I was then only bleeding at the most 5 days on a regular monthly cycle.
When I was nearly 22 I gave birth to my daughter (unplanned, but definitely wanted).  After she was born WHAM all my period issues were back tenfold!!
I have the whole no period for 6 months....heavy period for however long my body wants to go on for.
I am now 31 and have been seeing a gynocologist who has prescribed me with polycystic ovarian symdrome.  I am obese.. but am slowly losing my weight thanks to my lovely nutritionist.  But I hae now found that I have had my period for a month now & instead of it getting lighter its getting heavier.
I am having clots the size of a cups rim falling out of me sometimes.  I can't wear pants at all.  I have gone through 15 boxes of tampons and 3 packets of night-pads this month.  At night I wear 2 pads and a tampon & have to wear a towel between my legs and I still leak.
I want to get pregnant again but at the moment I can't even go there!!
The unfortunate thing is my doctor has since retired, noone can read his notes and noone knows what the "trial" pill was.
I have a docs appointment on Monday so lets hope he can help me.
For several years now my period cycle has been off.  Since about 2008 I started missing months at a time and I would think it was stress. About Feb 2010 I started to have my period for over a month and then stop for a couple of weeks and they start all over again. Around this time I started to lose hair. I have asked my dr to test my hormone levels because I think they are too high but he refuses and put me on provera pills (take one at the beginning of each month). I didnt take any meds this past month because I didnt have the money to pay for it and now I have been bleeding for over 2 weeks. I am so scared that I could be sick and since the dr didnt want to do any test in the past I feel like it could have gotten worse. I just dont know what to do any more.
ive had my period non stop since jan 12 2011 it all started after i had my daughter. ive never had a regular period but this is a long time to have it and i pass out and get dizzy but my doctor told me its normal.
I thought I would share my story as well.  This is the first website that I've found that talks about the same problem I have.  Its encouraging and depressing at the same time.

Anyway, I have had irregular periods my entire life. It has always been a struggle for me. My husband and I wanted to have a baby so I went on the herb called Vitex. I was on it for a while and it regulated my periods. It was amazing. I got pregnant while on the herb. (you must stop taking it as soon as you find our your pregnant.)  I had a healthy baby boy and then my periods were a little weird, but finally straightened up after going back on Vitex after I was finished breastfeeding.  I was 'normal' for about 3 months. We decided to try for another baby in march 2011. It seemed like as soon as we started trying, my periods quit.  I went from march to july with no period. It finally started July 18th. It hasnt quit. I've been bleeding this whole time. And bleed A LOT with very large clots.  Its awful. I have never gone for this long before. I am taking iron because I have been getting dizzy and lightheaded and extremely tired. I have had all kinds of tests and ultrasounds and they cant find anything wrong.  I just want this bleeding to stop. Its very frustrating.  In a way I am glad Im not alone in this. I dont know anyone else with problems like mine, so its a relief in a way to see others like me. It saddens me to see so many girls suffering with this though. I wish there was a solution other than birth control. Im still taking vitex and hoping it helps me soon.
Thank you all for posting your stories. I no longer feel like a freak. I have been on my period for going on 4 months right now. It will be heavy sometimes then get really light and even go away for a few hours. Just when I think it's over guess what! It comes back with a vengeance! I am overweight and I know that can effect your periods. It seems I never stop bleeding!!! I don't think women should be on their periods for 7-8 months out of the year.

I have been to the doctor several times in the past few years. I had my daughter 3 years ago and this had started happening almost 6 years before I became pregnant with her. When I did finally get pregnant I had lost 130 pounds. Even then I had the same problems!! My doctor keeps telling me it is because of my weight and refuses to do any tests or do anything at all to try to help me. He keeps telling me I need to lose weight.

How the hell do I lose weight to prove to him that is not the problem. I am so exhausted all the time from the blood loss. I get dizzy after a while of doing anything. I really hate this! I just want to stop freaking bleeding all the time!!! I have iron supplements I take that seem to help a little but not really enough. I don't have much pain cramp wise. I do get headaches all the time though. That is kind of normal for me I have got headaches and migraines since I was 13. I am 25 now and just fed up with doctors and not wanting to help people who are having actual problems!!!
I feel a little bit better seeing I am not alone in this.
I lost my husband June 2010 and got my period that night.  It was normal.
Then I didn't have it again for 3 months.  I knew it was from the stress.
Then I lost my dad back in May and didn't get my period until August and it hasn't stopped yet.  I was having hot flashes at first when I didn't get my period.
I figured it was early menopause.  Then the hot flashes stopped about a month before I got my period again... So here I am day 14 into having my period.  

It's not heavy, but there have been a few large clots and lots of small ones.

I
you might have something called hyperplasia... i had it on my uterine lining.  most of the time it's not anything major, but it IS considered a precanerous condition in some women... you should get that checked out ASAP.  
My period came on august 24 2011 and im stil bleeding.i notice after I had my second child I cramp more and I bleed heavy.it also hurts wen da fluid is coming out(lik when I stand up)i also pass out blood cloths and they dont look normal to me.right now im on my way to the emergency room.my mom recently had to have her uterus remove im just praying I dont have to have surgery done
I was reading the post, i have the same problem, i have irregular periods. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and i had my period for 6 months straight. then it was gone for about 3 months and now i get it every month but its for almost 3 weeks. Sometimes i have alot of pain because the cysts pop. Some of you might want to get checked for the pcos. Im going to the doctor though to see if there is anyway to regulate my period because having it for 3 weeks every month is unbearable, and sometimes i bleed very very heavy... I dont know if this helps or not. But i hope you all are able to find out whats wrong.
I am 18 years old and its nice to know you not alone in this n there are people having similar things as me. In june i didnt have a period. in july i had sex then i was spotting n it was very light like a fresh cut. n august comes on the 22 im bleeding then i stop for one day n that same day i had sex and i start bleeding again and it came heavy and i continued bleeding then sept 4 comes and stop then had sex and now im still bledding idk wats wrong with me someone plz help. o and one more thing i gained weight and been feeling really tired and have this unusual headaches and i get hot chills n not chills its really strange i hope someone can help me..
Nixy, same thing is happening to me. Its so weird. I missed a period so I thought maybe I was pregnant. I took a test and it came up negative. I was so relieved then like a week later I started bleeding sooo hevily for about 5 days or so. The bleeding slowed down to the point where I could have sex with no blood or mess, but that only lasted about 2 days then my period came back in full swing for another 5 or so days. Then it slowed down all over again. & Now its back.. 2 days later. I'm pretty freaked out. I was thinking it was a miscarriage but I don't think it is now. At this point it seems like Im bleeding from implantation.. but I dont think thats possible. Im going to the gyno tomorrow, I'll let everyone know whats going on once I find out.
Wow Thank God I am not the only one... I have had my period for 3 months now... I do suffer from irregular period.. there are time that I don't get for months and then when I do its for a long period of time.... I been to the doctor.. They as well can't figure out what is wrong... I been to 6 different doctors and out of the 6 only 2 have told me it cause of my weight ( i know i have to loose weight) but i been having problems before i got my period when I was 12.... I remember getting very bad craps that I could not move at all... I was in the hospital for what 4 days and still i don't know why i was in the hospital.... I am 32 with no kids hoping that i will have at least one kid soon... Its sad that no one can tell us what is going on and at first i felt lonely but now i see i am not alone... if anyone knows of a good doc in nyc please let me know..and also let me know how is everyone else is doing.....
it just baffles me how uncaring doctors are!  These are some clearly dangerous and scary symptoms and all the doctors want to do is throw some birth control at you and tell you nothing's wrong!   I'm glad I read this and know I'm not alone...  I'm 49,  started having periods every 2 weeks, last year...  regular periods before that...but always 2 days that were ultra heavy, couldn't leave the house they were so bad...   this time.. I was a week late...now I've been bleeding for nearly 2 weeks..   lots of big clots, contraction-like pains, and feeling weak and miserable!  I don't have health care and don't qualify for any free programs so a doctor visit is out...(and from what I've read on here,  they wouldn't provide any real answers anyhow...) Someone should do a study on this problem since so many women have it.
well just as it is said on here in just about every comment posted its nice to know that im not alone in my "sypmtoms". I have had irregular periods for quite some time... about 3 yrs.

I had very normal periods, you could set your watch by them, from my first one at 11yrs old until i got prego at 19. When I say normal i mean they came on time every month and lasted 5-7 days, the pain however was anything but normal, excrutiating, curled up in a ball, nausiating, couldnt go to school, pain. I've always had a high pain tolerance, i went through 20 hours of hard labor with my daughter and nothing for the pain,but this pain killed me. So when i got my period my mom gave me tylenol pm at night to help me sleep, otherwise i stayed up all night crying, and it helped, but only at night. And they were heavy, I remember how embarassed I was when I had to go to school and had to carry around those giant pads because I couldnt use a regular panty liner.
And as i got older i got used to the pain and the bleeding assuming that it was a normal thing, all my friends compained about theirs so i didnt give it anymore thought.
After my daughter was born, I was 20 yrs old, and my period came back, 5 days long with only 2 days of aweful pain, even less bleeding. I thought, this is great!! Then around the time my daughter was 2 1/2 yrs old, I went through a divorce, and then the pain came back with such amazing vengence, I was bed-ridden for days at a time. I did nothing but suffer through assuming it due was due to my current state of depression and stress, not to mention after the divorce i gained more then 50 lbs and was over weight to begin with. And then the irregular periods started, but nothing too noticible, maybe a day or two early and sometime 3 or 4 days late but rarely on time. In June of 2010, I missed my period, took 3 pregnancy tests which came up negative, july came and nothing, august and still nothing. So, I made a dr appt they saw me in september and guess what came the day before my appt, my period.
I told the dr the same story i have here he ordered some blood work done and a few more tests and i had been on an almost diet for a month or so and was losing weight at a rate that pleased him, but like all the other dr.s he said my irregularity could be due to my weight and that i should continue doing my diet and hopefully everything will set itself right. HA.
All the tests came back, i got a letter saying that everything was NORMAL (bull), but I have iron deficient anemia, which I already knew i was diagnosed with that when i was pregnant. September i had a period ,  then another in november, then another in january and then nothing until march. since then i have spotted almost everyday with only about a week of no spotting but always after the spotting stops i get a heavy flow for a few days and then back to spotting. There were no cramps with all the spotting until a few days ago i made another doctors appt but cant get in til october im demanding tests and sufficient results my dr is good, he usually listens to what i am concerned with and tries to get the results for whats wrong and ease my worries.
I hope its nothing too serious.
Am on my 7th week of bleeding and at the moment am loosing BIG clots I have low thyroid which isn't in control drs says that cud b my problem its driving me mad. :-( x
This is CRAZY we r ALL bleeding like this and NO dr knws or in some cases even cares. WHAT THE HELL is wrong wiv us? The sad thing is its jst the same thing everyday now bleedings bad it slows off I think YAY ill finish 2day then its heavy again I dnt have any pain or anything jst bleeding I still have 2 live my life go 2 work. I jst hope 1 of us gets an answer so then we all cn b FREE. Thinking of u all glad am nt alone nw thts 1 gud thing xx
On my 3rd week of bleeding after 4 months without a period, one month and normal period after I quit my pills. At the beginning of these 3 weeks it was light, and every other day it would stop. But a week ago it got really heavy and hasn't let up since. At first I thought I was pregnant when I missed my period (because I had quit my pills), but I took 4 at home tests and then a blood test at the doctor's and ruled it out, and was told that there "seems to be nothing wrong". That was only after the first 2 months without it, it lasted 2 more months. I Was diagnosed with PCOS 9 years ago. Last September I had the same problem, but it was only 2 months w/o a period and then 6 weeks with it. I went to the doctor (the same one who told me I have PCOS) and all she did was throw a new brand of BC at me. I've been on the pill since I was 13 and I can't have a normal period without them. I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life on these pills. Not matter what brand it is, they all make me feel crappy. Every doctor I see just tells me to keep taking the pills. After 9 years, don't you think they should have looked at my record and realized that there MUST be something else wrong? I've gotten 11 ultra-sounds since my diagnosis, the last one being in Feb just as a check up for the PCOS and there is nothing wrong with me. I don't even have cysts! I've only had one in my entire life and it was really small and disolved on its own when I took Metformin 5 years ago. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do about it anymore, doctors won't help :-(

I am 23 years old, I am getting periods since last 2 months in every 20 days. What may be the reason for this??? Is it normal..and it is flowing much it is very light...
Sorry, I mean there is not much flow.. It is very light
for two months youve gotten a light period every 20 days, correct? Does it last the "normal" 5-7 days or is it shorter , longer, because it sounds normal. Every 6-8 weeks the body will "reset" itself and this could be the cause. If your just having a light 5-7 day period I wouldnt be too concrned it doesnt sound very alarming. if that is the case. But i would watch it carefully I had a similar issue and then had an extremely heavy flow for 21 days in a row it sent me to the emergency room where they told me i had MENORAGIA its a condition where you have VERY VERY painful and heavy periods that can last longer than the norm for a woman. This is something i forgot to put in my last post. They say no treatment is needed and they can give me pills for the pain if i would like, really more pills i dont want to be medicated.
on my 17th day of bleeding... some days light...some days heavy with large clots.... i'm going through super plus tampons like they're nothing....   I've never taken birth control..(and I can't because of health issues in my family history), I'm 49.. can't afford health insurance and don't qualify for free health care....   I've gotta go through menopause sometime...  I just want this to be over...  
I'm 48 yrs old and I'm going through the same thing. Its now 16 days of bleeding. I'm sure it has something to do with the change. Its happened once before and I bled for 35 days and then my cycles were back to normal. I wish men would be the ones to get periods.Lol
Do you have a clinic in your area, where they determine you income on how much you pay for medical services? Also who said you can't qualify for free health care? I also can't afford health care and was able to get qualified at the free clinic.Maybe the Dr's office will let you make payments instead.Explain your situation and see if payments can be made. But I'm sure what some of us older women are experiencing is the change. I'm not quite sure why some of the younger women are experiencing what we are.But who knows, I just hope it stops soon. lol
I don't know whether to feel releaved or more upset. I've had a period that has lasted just over 2 years. Most of the time it's really heavy with lots of blood clots. I have pain and cramping probably 3 days out of 5. I'm always exhausted and have horrible headaches and dizzy spells. I'm on an iron supplement for the anemia. We've tried hormones, birth control pills, DNCs. I've had loads of blood work done, Ultrasounds. They haven't found anything and nothing has ever made it stop or slow down. I'm 32 and have always had heavy/irregular periods but they never lasted more than 7-10 days until this one and it's been non-stop for 26 months.
i have always had regular periods no pains just lastin 4 3-5 dais buh dis ones diff bin on my period 4 close to 13 dais wen i wen 2 d doctor he said they was no problem he gave me vitamin e tablets, some antibiotics and anoda drug he said d drugs will help 2 stop the bleedin for like 8 dais and after my period will be regular again... am just on my 2 day of takin d pills am hoping it regulates and i know it will in Jesus name...Amen
Im about to loose my mind! ive been bleeding since february so its been 8 months! i cant take it anymore! ive lost my fiance because of it! can anyone help us please!
I have been on my period for 7 weeks now. I'm 25, and overweight, but I have never had a period last this long. I do have a history of irregular periods, by that I mean, I will go for months on end without having one, but when it would happen it was the typical week long period... nothing to write home about, but as of the end of July I have been on it. From heavy days to light, to almost none existant spotting. I have been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome) in the past, but it cleared up after being on Metphromine for a month. Which was found out through ultrasound, and cleared by a specialist. I am seeing a doctor about this new development today... so we'll see how that goes
I applied for MediCal and was denied due to my income and the fact that I own my own home... but I can't afford mainstream health care...    there is a large segment of society just like me out there.. lower middle class who fall between the cracks..      
im 18 years old and iv been on my period now for about 6 weeks! When i come on in aug and i was gettin massive blood clots, horrible stomache cramps, all through these 6 weeks iv had horrible cramps and blood clots mostly in the morning when i wake up and the past week or so when im lying in bed i suddenly get a horrible headache and go very dizzy? Just lying in bed? Im always tired, emotional over everything i mean crying at nothing? All the time, iv been to the doctors who done a internal exam and she said my cervix was closed so its unlikely to be a miscarriage? I went for blood tests and going back for the results in a few days i hope its nothing serious, does anyone else know what it could be? Its worrying me alot. Thanks. Charlie
The dizzyness and the fatigue is most likely due to the loss of blood. The mood swings could be due to some hormone imbalance, I am by no means a medical professional but I have a lil experience with the same issue. I myself FINALLY stopped bleeding monday(knock on wood) after almost 3 months on my period. Hopefully there isnt anything major wrong.
im 20 and i have had a period for at least 3months and i have blood clots and i dont really have any symptoms the only thing i know is tha after i had my baby i started going through new thing and thas been 10 months ago i need help bad cuz i dont know what to do and i know its not normal so could any one plz help me
What I find interesting, is that you have over a hundred women on here, all different ages, some with children, some who've never had children, some virgins, some not, in varying physical fitness condition, with varying lifestyles...the only thing we really have in common are the symptoms, extended periods, lots of clots, pain,  many with dizziness and headaches... most have gone to doctors, who immediately want to treat the symptoms with birth control, but the doctors do many tests (sometimes) and can't find anything concrete that could be causing this.   We need to be in a study to find out what's really wrong with us.  This isn't menopause,  this isn't miscarriage, it isn't cancer, ...but it definitely ISN"T normal.!   There has to be something in our brains that is giving the wrong signals to our bodies, signalling that its period time even when its not.
I've sent a request to the Stanford University Women's research center that they might do a study to find out how women with so many different ages and health and lives can all have the same symptoms ...and doctors can't or won't help us properly....   hopefully someone will listen
I am 22 and I had a heat stroke when i was 14 ... after that my period was never regular. but now i am getting annoyed after having my period for 2 months i went to the doctor and she put me on birth control pills to try to stop it i mean hard core. she is making me take 3 BC pills a day for 3 days then 2 pills a day until tehy are gone well needless to say i am on the white pills and i have 2 more left and I am still on my period .... STILL now its been 3 months .... i am so annoyed and nervous that it will affect me having kids in the  future... idk wtf is wrong any advice or help???
Its messed up when you try to apply for some type of health care and they deny you because you own your own home or you income is more than expected. Health care is so expensive and I would like to know how these medical insurance providers think someone is able to afford there insurance a month and how these clinics think you can afford it. Can you go to a clinic where you can pay according to your income. We have one here in Newport News Va. where you can pay according to your income. You may want to check in to it.
That's a good Idea, to contact the Stanford University Women's research center. It would be nice to find out why we go through this prolonged bleeding phenomena. It looks like I stopped finally, knocking on wood with
ConfusdRaeven. It would bring the days to 19. Like I said last year I bled for 35 days and then it was back to normal ever since, this month.Lol. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with our hormones? just a thought! Let me know what you find out.
It may be enitirely hormones, and it may have nothing at all to do with hormones. \(*_*)/ I have read through every post on this page, I did so before I posted my first comment, and I have been complaining to my pcp ever since I becam irregular and he NEVER suggested birth control, always told me that everything looked normal. ALOT of the women who have posted have PCOS I myself have never been checked for this condition and am going to suggest it to my doc when I see him in Oct. I had a scare last night for the first time in three months I ventured to my room with my "friend", we had sex and I spotted after I thought OMFG not again but this morning nothing I was relieved. And once I became irregular I always spotted after sex and my mom said that its was nothing to be concerned with that it was just too rough, I didnt argue with her even though I hadnt been having any rough sex, and just put it out of my mind. Goodi2shooz that was a great idea I would love to be part of that study simply because I have a fear similar to that of cheryl I have not been able to concieve (conceive) since becoming irregular and am thinking that this issue may be to blame. I tried for two years to have a baby with my ex-husband and no luck. Its very saddening and sickening at the same time that no doctor anywhere appears to have the patience to listan to us when we KNOW something is wrong. I stated previously that I have an excellent doctor and I do he just thinks its all in my head. Keep me posted ladies, I will do the same.
My fiancee suggested that perhaps its the pineal or pituitary glands that are problematic..   somewhere in our heads it seems that the switch that says "period time", isn't shutting off when its supposed to... its stuck on perpetual "on".    It's day 24 for me... had a really heavy day yesterday... more than usual..   was afraid i was gonna bleed to death...   sigh...
its been a few days since i posted my first comment, iv actually come off my period now thank god! Fingers crossed it doesnt come back in a few days! Im due to go back to the doctors tomorrow to get my blood test results. My dizzyness has near enough gone now but im still getting headaches and im still always cold but i reckon thats because the amount of blood iv lost, good luck to everyone with this problem and i hope everyone gets it sorted and the answers they are looking for.
im so glad its not only me!..ive been on my period for the last month and a half petrified to go to the doctors because of pure embaressesment, it started off light for a week or two then got so heavy i cudnt leave the house :( massive clots that fit in the palm of ur hand! then it started goin light again so i thought ahhh its over but i was so wrong yesterdy it started heavy again with cramps too! i had a blood clot come out last night and it woke me up! i stood up this morning and it looked like my insides had dropped out onto the floor!!... i just want it to go away now, its doing my head in :( x
hey guys this is my update..
So iv been to the doctors today for all my blood test results and everything is fine even tho i lost quite abit of blood it aint made me enemic my iron levels are normal, no hormonal imbalance, i had a sti check up all was negative.
I forgot to mention in my 1st post around two years ago before i got with my partner i was only 12 stone with the 'perfect' cycle and from then i put on alot of weight to depression i got up to 18 stone! Im now down to 16 i lost 3 stone in 3 months.
My doctor has said iv got polycystic ovaries due to so much weight gain and has said its not serious. Im happy with the outcome well not happy but i was fearing the worst! All i have to do is loose more weight and that should get rid of the polycystic ovaries. She also told me to consider taking the progestogen only pill ( a contraception ) to try regulate my periods but i doubt i will because the side effects is weight gain and i would be getting no were with my weight lol.
Sorry about the longness just thought this may help someone in the same situations. I hope everyone is getting the answers they are looking for and thanks to this site because i didnt know what was happening to me!
- just remember no matter how worried you get if you are concerned get to the doctors there their to help not judge. Take care all. X
at least I'm down to light spotting for the last 2 days... its been 26 days since I started...  I've been trying to use natural remedies (cinnamon, and iron rich foods) and those seem to keep the bleeding down to a manageable level.
ive just got bk from the hospital as the bleeding got rlly bad, i was examined and had bloods taken everythin came bk fine although i may have an underactive thyroid wich can cause the problem im having, so glad i got checked out and its nothing serious!! xx
Hi all,

I thought it was just me, really worried but at the same time i wasn't. I've been dealing with a lot of stress recently at work and everything getting to me. If i get depressed or stressed it effects my periods. I am suffering with IBS and that is also stressing me out. My periods the first week were heavy as they usually are, now its light and nothing, then its abit heavy. I've had them now for 3 weeks. I think I will go see my doctor tomorrow because it seems they can give you pills to control it. I have got family history of Underactive Thyroid so maybe its that. Or it is the fact that i've let everything get to me. Hopefully i'll be ok.

I
Kelly, the "pills" they give you are birth control pills, and they DON"T control it really, if you read all the posts you will see these pills don't do much...AND birth control pills can cause heart attack, stroke, and blood clots... they are very dangerous and no one should take them.  Also the doctors have no idea what this is or how to control it..  the best thing to do is first learn to deal with the stress in a healthy manner ...via meditation, yoga, exercise, and diet... then you might want to look into such things as Chasteberry for your period problems and lemon balm for the stress...
Hello, I am 20 years old and have had irregular periods for as long as I can remember. When I met my husband and started being "active" I started to not have any periods for 3 or 5 months at a time, then have a period for about 3 days, and then again, non for another 3 to 5 months. In August of this year I had a period for about 4 days, then stopped. Then about 3 days later, had another period for 7 days, then stopped. Then at the end of August I started again and to this day, I am still on my period. It's sometimes heavy, sometimes spotty. And other times I have huge blood clotts. I get real dizzy sometimes, I get light headed as well. And there are sharp pains that feel like they shoot straight through the vaginal area... and it's very painful, not to mention all the cramps. There is also a lot of clear sometimes yellow discharge that comes with all of this....I have done a lot of research to see if I really need to see a doctor, but it's all really inconclusive, as the majority of the things, I either have one or two symptoms of one thing, and then another symptom of the other thing.... I just don't know what to do and need some advice...I have no family doctor, no insurance.  Please help if you can. Thanks.
I finally stopped after a month!  We'll see how long it lasts...I've been on Chasteberry (Vitex) for a couple of days now.. 200 mg. a day.   Also when I started adding more cinnamon, my bleeding seemed to slow down.  We'll see how the Chasteberry works out on a regular basis.   Still no word back from my research queries...
The same is happening to me. I started having my period when I was 11. Had abnormal periods and was put on birth control pills. Had no problems until I tried Yaz a few years ago. Periods slowly got longer and longer. My gyno switched me off it to Ocella. Been on it for at least 2 years now and had no problems until around July. I have been having my period now for 9 weeks and counting. I am still taking birth control pills. Have tried 2 different kinds so far and nothing. I have been getting NASTY hot flashes for at least 2 years. Have been having back pain, abdominal pain, nausea, everything. Going tomorrow for an ultrasound, hopefully they find something. All my blood tests were negative. Nice to know I'm not the only one. I am 29, and my hubby is being great with all this. Hope I find something out.
I have been having the same problem .. Ive always had a irregular period , but starting from the beginning of this year my periods starting lasting a month. It started in January but i thought it was only lasted a month because of the flu. Then it happened again in march till april. After i had regular periods that lasted 7 to 9 days. but in the beginning of august, august 3 2011 i got my period, it lasted 11 days till the 14th and then a week later august 21th , i got my period and its continuing till today and its september 28th 2011.. i have no cramps, no breast tenderness, no back problems. Im 20 years old, and i dont know whats wrong. plz help
I can't believe this is a common thing. I'm 21 and I'm on my fourth week of my period after not having it for about a month and a half. Missing it for that long is odd for me since I have always been regular, but I know it was probably stress (being robbed, school, finances) that stopped it. I started on the first of this month and it has been much lighter than usual. Some days are a little heavier than others and some days I don't bleed at all. The only thing I take are iron pills on a regular basis and my boyfriend and I don't have sex. I'm waiting to see if I will bleed next week before I go to the doctor, but I'm encouraged that other women are just fine after going through something similar.
okay im 19 and i have always had regular periods, but i had an abortion in may and was put on the injection, but came off it about 2 months ago because it was making me ill and iv been bleeding ever since could anyone help me
im 20 yrs old, in the past 3 yrs i had 2 miscarriages. the doctor made the DNC those 2 times and after a yr, ive tried to get pregnant but havent been successful. ive even come to think that the dr did sumthng else to me because i havent been able to get pregnant! my periods have always been irregular sometimes skipping up to 6 months because i used to work out alot and lost alot of weight. the 1st time i got pregnant, it was a high-risk pregnancy and thats where i gained alot of weight because i was supposed to be lyin down all the time. the same thing happened with my 2nd pregnancy and now i way 200lbs (sometimes i come to think that the reason i cant get pregnant is because im too fat now-80lbs overweight) and my periods skip a month and i think im pregnant but the pregnancy tests come out negative each time. since last month, i got my period and it lasted almost 3 weeks being super heavy. this month is the same. i know i need to go to the doctor but i dnt have insurance and any little test they do is expensive. my husband and i want to have a bby soon, but i know it's when God wants, not when we. so many things are going wrong and i dont know what to do. can someone plz help me out?? plz
its me again..  I had stopped for 6 days...but this evening I started again.... still taking Chasteberry (Vitex)..  will keep you updated... all the hormonal signs... very hungry...very crabby...very weepy...
YES!!! I had been on for over 2 months.  Took the advice of another person on here and bought some Women's Ultra Mega Active vitamin from GNC on last Friday and by Saturday I was feeling great. It is now Tuesday and my period is completely over and my energy level is back.  What a miracle!!!
sigh.. started again... with a vengeance...still bleeding very heavily for 4 days so far... read that tylenol can be good for slowing things down... at least its taking a couple of hours to bleed through intsead of minutes...  thanks to wanniewann for that tip..  I'll try that.
Holy hell! I knew this wasnt unheard of but never thought this many women would have this issue. Since I had my first son almost 11 years ago I have been having issues. I will bleed for 6 to 8 months at a time. They are heavy and light and blood clots like I have never seen before. I have seen more than one doctor over this and still no one will do anything about it. I did find out I am anemic but they said that shouldnt be a reason for me to bleed for 6 to 8 months. They said they cant run any tests while I am bleeding. So I went back once I stopped and they said unless I am bleeding how could they test for anything. WTF? So like the rest of you no one will give me answers, I cant even get tests ran. I did look up Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and I have all of the symptoms. So hopefully one day before I die lol I can at least be tested for that. If anyone ever gets some answers please let us know!!! Wish you all the best of luck!
welcome aboard...  this is a difficult thing to get real help for, since for some reason most doctors don't take it very seriously or want to take the "easy" way out and throw hormones at it... no one cares that we're bleeding so much, that our lives have been disrupted...that our health is suffering...    I'm getting married next week...and I don't know if I'll be having another round of wondering if I should go to the hospital because I'm bleeding so heavily or not..  thank goodness my dress is red!   Right now it seems to be tapering off again...  but I have this annoying sound in my ears...like a wooshing sound and I can hear my own heartbeat...  I'm on my 7th day, after 6 days off, and 30 days on..  
wow i never tought this many women had the same problem.i read thru every single comment in here,it baffles me doctors literally don't do anything than jut give contraceptive pills.

i'm going thru the same thing.i'm 27yrs old and this is the first time i've been irregular,considering i am overweight (but just recently lost 25 pounds) but i have always been regular ever since i can remeber i've never had this  problem,i got my regular period in sept 12 altough it should have been started the 14th,but i tough it's ok sometimes it starts early and stuff it lasted regular about a week 7-8 days it usually goes for me then it stopped after that i had sex twice w/ my bf then about a week and a half ago i started bleeding and having sore breast and cramps all the symptoms of my period and i tough well that is weird so my period came but so light i don't have to wear the usually big pads just regular ones cause it comes out really light and not alot and usually my periods on the first 3 days are heavy and a lot of blood cloths and this time is dif. during the 4th day it was so faint that i could be intimate again and i know i can't be pregnant because even tough i did have unprotected sex i took the plan b pill the next day,and i'm still going for my second week of my period it still light tough and my breast soreness has gone away and cramps also altough i do get dizziness and nauseous at night not alot but i do have that feeling when u want to throw up.

i'm going to give it a week more and see if it goes away i am going to take a home pregnancy test just to get that out of the way and if my period continues i'll have to make an appointment but hopefully it goes away i have no health insurance and to top it off i'm unemployed right now.which *****
update: still on Chasteberry/Vitex..   finally stopped again...we'll see how long this lasts...   my friend in Washington who's periods stopped 6 months ago, told me she was having the same problems we were...then she started rubbing Emerita brand progesterone cream on her skin twice a day and it cleared things up..   but I'll warn you, its expensive..  about 28 dollars a tube..   I'm just gonna keep up with my herbal supplement and see how that works...    
hello everyone i just found this site as i was looking for answers,my period was normal before 4 to 5 days but past few months its changed,last longer now and this month been on it 4 weeks blood clogs,s like am my breasts get tender and being sick its like am pregnant then its easys of,am not on any birth control,been haveing sex with parter for year now and havent got pregnant, now am really scared,go to doc on wed,does anyone knw whts wrong?am 29 with 3 kids,after i had my kids i only bleed for week and half, no other health problems
I am 32 yrs old and all my life I have had trouble just having a period. In the last few months I have had two periods however they have lasted weeks. I feel so tired by the evening my legs feel as if I have ran a marothon and hurt to the bone. One day it will be dark blood others it will be bright red. Some days it is really light and others it will be light flow. Some days there are lots of clots and others not. I was not sure if it could be premenapause or not. I see where other women are on here with the same problems. When I was in my 20's I had some pre cancer cells taken off so this also worries me. I am so tired of being tired. I dont feel like cleaning or anything right now. It takes everything out of me just to move. I have gained some weight recently but I have been gaining for several years which i just related to my family being overweight as well and i want to excercise but I just dont have the energy.
i have had my period for about 2-3 months striaght and its been brown  it doesnt look like blood at all but i dont get any symptoms of a period i dont know if i should be worried or not anyone have a clue?
I have read every single comment on here and as much as I am glad that there are so many women in the same boat, I am also quite annoyed that many doctors seem to have the same attitude. I am 26 years old and got the implanon when I was 18. I bled for 6 months before the doctor decided to give me a bc pill which did stop it and I didn't have a period for 5 year..until a couple of years ago. Started having a crazy period that couldn't make up its mind what it wanted to do and got put on pill after pill to try and sort it which didn't work. I stopped bleeding for a while when they put me on norethisterone but it made my mood swings unbearable and once again I was put on pill after pill. Tried getting another appointment with the doctor recently and can't get one atal but with me starting to get headaches dizziness and constantly feeling drained I really have had it. Its taking its toll on who I really am as a person and also affecting my relationship with my more than supportive and loving man!
The last 2 weekends I have had sex unprotected with my boyfriend. I just got put back on birthcontrol so he refused to wear a condom. I started having a light brown discharge around the 10th and it turned into something like period blood but it wasn't the same. It's been 2 weeks and the last 3 days have been a daring brown. It's never been heavy and some days its nothing at all. I've had symptoms like headaches, stomach aches, back aches, light cramping on the right side, and I've been really tired the last week. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. But I haven't had an actual period since June. Even though the test was negative, could I still be pregnant? Cause my friend who has a kid still thinks I could be cause she had these symptoms when she was pregnant. Please help me.
hi,

i have a 1year old baby before the baby.. I'm 25 and I have always had irregular periods, but now I have had one that has lasted about for 2 weeks and counting. It's sometimes heavy and then most of the time it's light i didnt hv perdios for fourmonth before this and i was suspecting wedr i am pregnant but urine test confirmed that im not pregnant.. also i have  chocolo cysts n my both ovaries some one pls tel me wat can be the reson  
I'm 28 and have never experienced a regular period, but recently things started getting really, really annoying! I've bled for nearly 2 months straight(only one 9 day break)at times it's heavy with clotting and at times it's very, very light.I have no other symptoms, just the marathon bleeding.

I have also been either overweight/obese most of my life, and last year I started a radical new diet(I only eat 2 meals a day, and most of the time they aren't very healthy or balanced)as a result I have lost a lot of weight, and even though I've never been regular, the weird bleeding started in.

I also do not sleep very much(I sleep from 12 AM till 6 AM if I'm lucky)and sometimes I nap from 12:30 pm till 3:30 PM.

And I also have some stress, worry in my life, and I also have depression/bi polar disorder.

Could all of this be causing my weird menstruation?
I'm 16 and I've been having this problem too. I've had my period since about September 21st. I've been having a lot of medical problem lately, i have cuts all over my legs that my doctor says are from shaving..... but I've had these cuts since April. also, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I've been having major pain in my back for no apparent reason every few days for the last few months. i don't think any of these problems are related but these problems can't be normal for a 16 year old girl.
I just wanted to say, seeing this topic and reading most of your posts has me feeling slightly better about my situation. I am so happy to know that I am not alone in this.

I am 20 years old and like most of you, I have had irregular periods for a long time. This also happened when I was 15. It turned out that I was so badly anemic that I couldn't even walk from my own room to the living room without feeling like I was going to pass out. Eventually, I was admitted to the hospital. They wanted to do a blood transfusion, but before they decided to come to go through with that, they put me on birth control pills, which regulated my bleeding for some time.

Now every year since then (I've stopped the BC), I've probably had one or two periods that lasted maybe over a week or two, but they haven't gotten as serious until now.

I have now been bleeding for 6 weeks. My heart beats like mad just when I walk around the house and I see blood clots when using the bathroom and taking showers. I mess up my clothes constantly, especially when I'm sleeping. I am in college and it is so terribly frustrating having to miss classes all the time. Thank god I live at home because I have no idea how I would be able to dorm with this happening.

My doctors have taken blood, but all they have been saying so far is, "Well, you're not anemic yet, but make sure to keep taking your iron pills." Um, what?! Are they waiting until I actually get so badly anemic that I end up in the hospital again for them to take some action?

I just don't get it. It's frustrating and I don't want to deal with this anymore. I've been going through this for years and yet NO ONE can tell me what is exactly wrong and why this keeps happening. I need some answers!
Like many of you have said, it's nice to know we're not alone in this.

I've been having irregular periods ever since i was 12 years old. I am now 21. They've always been really heavy, but manageable. My mom would take me to the doctors and they either didn't thoroughly checked me, wanted to put me on BC (which my mom thought was because i was sexually active..@@) or just said to wait for my next mensus.  

I had my son about 6 months ago, and didnt get my first period till last month (sept. 19) and it's still going on. It is really heavy and I'm passing huge blood clots and it frightens me.It is not the first time it has lasted this long, but it is the first time that I'm having problems with blood loss and clots. My husband is growing more concerned and impatient at the same time and i dont know what to do. BC is out of the question for me since i have a bit of a problem on my live due to gallstones and cannot take anything that has hormones. Im going to the docs tomorrow and I'm scared of what she might tell me. I know my problem is not as bad as some of you guys, but any impute would still be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
Try looking into thickening of the uterine walls and thyroid and fibroid s. The obgyn (gynecologist) will give an ultrasound to determine what's causes the heavy, prolonged bleeding and then give you chose of about 4 procedures to fix it. I've been bleeding extremely heavy for 2 months with huge clotting. I'm 47 years old and this is not normal at all for me. A month after starting, I had a blood transfusion. 3 pints! But the bleeding still continues. So I wait patiently for my obgyn appt. that will hopefully end this nightmare.  
I've been on my period now for 6 weeks! Going to visit the doctor sometime this week hopefully. I'm thinking about getting the injection to stop my periods all together.
Hello its crazy to see how many woman are going through what i'm going through...i had my 2nd child 1 1/2 years ago and since then I haven't been able to feel my normal self and my health has been deterorating.  I'm in a lot of physical pain and now to add to all the health problems my periods have gotten even worse than usual.  i've had irregular periods since my 1st one at age 11 but recently i've been getting my periods for long periods of time.  Now i've been on my period for 2 months with heavy bleeding and lots of blood clots and am starting to get very weak and dizzy.  My OBGYN did ultrasounds and found nothing and suggested i take bc pills.  I am going to try that and see if it works (fingers crossed). Its very frustrating both emotionally and physically and what frustrates me more is that doctors can never tell what's going on.  i hope we all get better soon becaue this is very draining.  My husband has been very supportive of me but i know its draining for him as well.
I have been going through alot of the same things.. Having my period for weeks and months at a time. I would go to the obgyn and they would do blood word and ultra sounds and always told me I was normal and suggested Birth Control to regulate myself. Finally I decided to see an endocornologist. They have been looking at my past blood test and ordered new test (which haven't come back yet), however based on a few older test she thinks it may be Polycystic ovarian syndrom (syndrome) (PCOS).
Hi all.
I've read majority of the comments and i'm crying. I can't believe that women are so strong. But i believe that it is time to take a stand. I am 26 and married to an amazing man for 3 years now. We have no kids and would long to have one some day.
I have had irregular periods all my life. I had it all. Period lasting for 5 days, 3 days, 7 days 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months. sometimes only a prescription could stop it. Now it stops on its own after a month and more. Now i am going on 5 weeks nonstop. I have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts which according to the doctor would disappear. My period came with pain in my stomach when i was a teenager and heavy. Now i have no pain, sometimes heavy, clots and unstoppable. I lost so much blood that i developed migrain headaches. now i am sensitive to light and sound. The most dreadful part is that i get cuts from knives and i do not bleed. i was cooking recently, got a deep cut, it pained but not a drop of blood.
That's where help comes in. I am fed up of visiting doctors who only care about money and not me. I have decided to take control of my situation. It makes me cry to see my husband( who is very supportive) go through this. However, it stops on its own. Before it would not so that's an improvement. I have recently began taking MACA to aid in regulating my hormonal balance. I no that this is a common issue but every situation is different. I pray and ask God to Guide me, and take me on my healing journey so that i can enjoy a child wiht my husband in the future. A gyn even offered to do surgery where my uterus walls will be scraped. He said that it is not properly matured. i have yet to do so. It was his final option. But i have faith that it will all work out. Our tears will one day be dried and solutions will come. Just hang in there and do not let this thing keep any one down. I don't.
You give me hope to press on
hi... i am 14 and my period has lasted for 6-7 weeks. i hav been 2 the gyno twice, she gave me two different birth control pills and 3 thyroid tests as well as a blood pregnancy test. one day at lunch, after appointment, i went into the bathroom and noticed that i had soaked a pad and a ultra tampon in 2-3 hrs. when i got up i couldn't see anything for about 3 mins. when i told my mom she told me that she was going to take me to the hospital... they took urine samples, blood samples and looked at my cervix. doctor said i had little bleeding and that my hormones were out of whack. my iron in my blood was a little low too. i really hope this ends soon!!!!!
I am 24 years old... I have been bleeding since March of this year, a week or so after my birthday. My mom works in a hospital so I told her what has been going on with me and she did not have an answer for so I went to the doctor and the doctor could not tell me what was going on with me.

I have wondered if it has to do with my stressful work environment or my increase in weight for the past five-six years. I just do not know!

Sometimes the blood is clotted, sometimes I am heavy, sometimes I am light, and if I am lucky, it will be off for two days but come back on the third day. However, that does not happen often. I experience sharp cramping pains that lasts for a few seconds but they occur randomly

I am so tired of dealing with this. I did not want to deal with it once a month when my cycle was normal. Nevertheless, what I would not give it to go back to normal. I have never experienced irregular periods.

I am just concerned that my problem is serious and that I find that out when it is too late. I am going to see another doctor for a second opinion.
I am so glad that I found this forum. I just turned 23 last month and I have been spotting since the beginning of August. I got my period at just 8 years old and since then they have been pretty normal but VERY heavy and coming with severe abdominal pains. My last normal period was in July and then in August I started light spotting every day until the first week of September and then it stopped for 4 days and started again up until Sept 20 when I started what I think was a period. It lasted for 7 days like normal and then it stopped. It stopped for about a month and then I started spotting again on Oct 24th. I have been to the GYN twice and they did a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound and she said the lining of the uterus was a little thick and that she wanted to do an endometrial biopsy. I am scared out of my mind because I have a very low pain tolerance and I don't think I can sit thru that. She also suggested a D&C but I'm just too terrified of surgery. I went to the ER and the doctor said that it was probably just a hormonal imbalance, they gave me a urine and blood test to check my hemoglobin and for anemia and she gave me a 30 day supply of Loestrin 24 and I started taking it on Nov 1st and the bleeding has stopped so far. I will see what happens when I finish the 30 days. I'm so afraid that I won't be able to have children in the future:(
I can say without a doubt...the VItex ( also known as Chasteberry) is working!  My cycle is back to normal!   Everyone should try this..because its a natural herb, its readily available at most natural food stores, it's not expensive (about 8 dollars for a 2 to 3 month supply), and there are no side effects! It's safer than anything a doctor will give you.  I've been taking this for a couple of months now and I went from having month long periods with turtle sized clots to having a normal cycle!  If you take 1 capsule per day, it takes about a month to work, but once it starts working, it's great!
The brand I take is Nature's Way,   400 mg capsules.   it was 8 dollars for 100 capsules.
Hi every1 came on here for answers and found im not alone. So relieved i feel down all the time im 24years old and have been with my partner for 5 years 3 years ago we had a eptopic pregnancy i was deverstated never knew i was pregnant its all i have ever wanted. B4 that i had already had a ultrasound to check my overies they were fine and had the dye to check my tubes werent blocked all good, so couldnt understand what was wrong. Decided to forget about it as obviously its not my time a year later i blead heavy for two weeks then whilst in work had lower back pain from hell and the worst pain u could imagine then came the massive blood clot all i thought was omg ive  miscarried i was distraught a went to the hospital had scans and blood test turned into the week from hell. Apparently its like 1 in 10000 ppl that have a eptopic on there first pregnancy. When i had the op to remove my tude overy and to me my baby i thought now its never going to happen. I cried myself to sleep for months i was crushed. eventually with the help from James my bf i picked up and got on with everything trying but not pushing but i always worry as my periods are very irregular i can go 3 moths without one. The past 3 weeks i have bled heavy the light ten gushed heavy again when me and james had sex. was worried but thought it will stop soon in work again and excruciating pain in my lower stomach it literally took my breath away i sobbed thinking omg y didnt i go doctors ive lost another baby. Went to A&E not pregnant normal hormones in blood What is going on???? have been given tablets to thin my blood to help regulate my periods but after reading all these posts i think whats the point there is no answer. So as we are still trying and my doctor has referred me to the maternity centre for an ultrasound /scan to see if i hav PCOS i have more blood test and a referral to a gynachologist i will just keep praying a see what happens im on a diet to get my BMI to 25 so if i dont get pregnant naturally i can go for IVF. im so comforted to know im not alone and that there are ppl i can talk/ relate to. thankyou for your post love charlene. will keep everyone informed on results from my scan etc x x x
My period has always been irregular. Im 26 and I have 2 little boys now. However, I started bleeding a month ago but it was browish.. like old blood. It was light and only last 2 days. A week later I started cramping (contraction feeling cramps) and its weird to read it like this but I was laying down IN PAIN and it felt like a balloon was in my tummy and popped.. as soon as I felt it, I started bleeding heavy. It has come and go like every other day since then (the last week) but my cramps are sooo bad and I bleed like Ive just been chopped up. Bright red.. sometimes almost blackish looking.  The reason I dont go to the dr. is I dont have insurance on myself and cant afford it.   Its good to see Im not the only one but I still think we all need to know whats wrong.    I have had cysts on my overies in the past and was told a couple of months ago my thyroid was out of wack... not sure what it is.. dont have money to go back to dr.  Help
So I have ALWAYS had regular periods since the age of 14 when I first started. I just turned 18 the other day. I took the depo provera shot Aug. 3rd. I started my period in the end of August and it lasted for over a month! It finally stopped after a month and two days. So two weeks go by and all of a sudden I start having an extrememly heavy period in mid october when I shouldn't of started until the beginning of Novemeber!!!!! I now have been on my period for a month and two weeks as of tomorrow. Its really starting to take a toll on me. I'm depressed all the time and moody. Its really starting to cause problems between my boyfriend and I. ughhh. I just want it to stop. I'm so over this! I went to my obgyn a few weeks ago and he told me it was "perfectly normal" & to just take iron pills. HOW THE F*** IS THAT NORMAL. I'm going to bleed to death. So I ended up going to a highly recommended obgyn in a different county and he sent me straight to the hospital for bloodwork and an ultrasound. I found out I have lost THREE pints of blood. I am now going back tomorrow to get more tests ran. They think it may be cancer or an infection of the uterous lining or something. So hopefully I'm okay. I'm to young to have that kind of cancer! I just want this to just all stop. I want to be happy again :( I BLAME IT ALL ON THE DEPO SHOT. Never get it. I was perfectly fine before I took the damn shot!!!!
damn FML. we all have weird **** going on.... I'm at the point no where I see other girls and I'm like...she's so lucky she gets her period once a month and it's gone. LOL. Mine has been irregular since the first time I started using birth control pills.... I don't take them anymore but my period has never been the same since. I bet you they mess up your hormones... they say they FIX your hormones.... yea my *** they do. I think they messed mine up because I swear it's just gotten worse and worse and worse. and now I'm at the point where I have a period for two weeks every month... my poor boyfriend I never want to do anything with him because it's embarassing... I feel gross and down all the time. It's not fare :( Why me? I'm not a ****? Give this problem to some promiscuous chick. LOL. All my tests are always normal. ultrasound, pap smears, STD checks... but I KNOW I'M NOT NORMAL SO WTF. Docs just don't care if it's not an easy cure they don't care to take the time to figure it out. Shrug the shoulders and thank god they aren't us. :P :'( blaaah.
My periods have always been terribly irregular so I went on birth control to regulate them. Which did work, but it gave me such bad symptoms; my cramps were a hundred times worse, to the point where I couldn't go to school. I had to stop taking it which was no help since it messed me up pretty bad. There were times when I didn't have my period for 6 months then I would bleed for 3 months. It started to balance out abit, but now I can't tell when my period is going to start up, or when it ends. I'm only 20 years old, and I've now had my period for almost 4 or 5 months now. I've had an ultra sound done, which came back cleared. I think I'm going to go to emerge and talk to them instead of my doctor since it takes me weeks to get appointments with him.
for those who missed my previous comment:   I've been taking a natural supplement called CHASTEBERRY or VITEX..  400 mg per day.   You can find this in any store with natural vitamins.  It's not expensive.. about 8 dollars for 100 tabs.    It takes about a month to start working, but it has relieved all my symptoms of abnormal period.  Now my periods are back to normal.  Please try this, everyone, it can't hurt you like hormone pills and shots can.  I had bad periods before, lasting over a month and bleeding like I was gonna bleed to death, and cramps that felt like labor.  Now I'm back to normal.
Wow, thats great.  
I'm 41 y/o with 2 children and have been on my mency for 2 wks and it shows no sign of stopping.  Just this morning I went to the b/room and there it was- like it was starting all over, and that has never happened before.  I was diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids in March of 2010 but never had my mency last this long.  They suggested I have this procedure called Uterine Fibroid Embolization which is where the interventional radiologist makes a small nick in the skin (less than 1/4 inch) in the groin and inserts a catheter into an artery. The catheter is guided through the artery to the uterus while the interventional radiologist guides the progress of the procedure using a moving X-ray (fluoroscopy). The interventional radiologist injects tiny plastic particles the size of grains of sand into the artery that is supplying blood to the fibroid tumor. This cuts off the blood flow and causes the tumor (or tumors) to shrink. The artery on the other side of the uterus is then treated.  A friend of mine had similar symptoms as well with much heavier bleeding and she had another procedure- can't exactly remember the name but it dealt with scraping the lining of the uterus.  I'm not a candidate for that procedure because I have the fibroids.  She told me she hasn't had a period since (and at the time it had been 6 mos).  With both of these procedures, kids will no longer be option or it may be difficult.   I haven't had it done because I think there will be something less evasive.  I will try the pills you speak of.  Thank you!

The docs at emerge did a blood test and told me that I'm just irregular and put me on birth control. However, because I've lost so much blood, I have low iron and mild hypoglycemia; luckily I don't have to take pills for it.
I'm so happy I'm not alone. I've been freaking out lately. I've always had irregular periods and back in July I had a laparoscopy and they found out I had Emdometrisis all over my uterus as well as other organs. And I also had 21 cysts which they only took care of one and told me over the next few months I'll start to feel much better. Well it's Nov and things are worse then ever I'll have a super heavy period for 11 days straight have 3 days off and 11 on again. I have no idea what is going on! I talked to my doctor even got a second opinion and they are going to put me on Lupron (which puts your body into Menopause) for the next year (BTW I just turned 21 last week ...yeha Happy birthday right) Anyways I'm getting it next week So hopefully I'll get some relief.  
I am 25 years old and I have been bleeding non stop for over 1 year.  I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 19 years old.  I have always had irregular periods but I have never bled this long.  I can't afford to go to my regular doctor because I have no insurance.  Can anyone help me??
Hi I'm 22 and it started with missing my period for 2months at a time then getting it heavy and sometimes twice a month. And then I missed it for 4months and then when I got it I had it for like 2weeks heavy then stop for 1 or 2days then light then heavy n well finaly now 5days heavy and going. I've used almost 3packs of the overnight super long purple always pads and a box of 24tampons. N I'm worried this has happen since I was 13. And the last few times of my period I get such bad cramps like stabbing in my ovaries. And my back starts hurting so bad I can't move or bend down. And I'm anemic aready my hemoglobin was getting better but still at 10 before this happen. If you found out what happen with u maybe I. Will have a clue wat is wrong with me
I am almost 24 and for about 2 years now I have had long periods. The periods last about 2 weeks to 3 months! Sometimes it is heavy and other times it is not so heavy bleeding. I don't have insurance and the last time I went to a OBGYN they only gave me enough birth control for one month and took blood. Once I paid bill off I couldn't afford to go back and get more birth control.

I just want the periods to not last so long. I have had a period since I was in 4th grade and about 2 years ago they started to last a really long time. I might not have a period for a month but that is not worth the three month long periods!

I start to get really grouchy, irritable, lonely, and just mad all the time. I am trying to stay in a positive mood but it is hard. Last period was exactly three months long. Then I skipped one month. Now I am on my period and it has been about a month already.

I am overweight and a while back I lost some and it seemed to help. I am trying to loose more weight and I have already lost some. I am also trying to be healthier and my mood is better but it doesn't seem to help with my period a whole lot. I hope that we all find some answers.

I do have to admit that I started to have really long periods when I gained weight and ever since being overweight they have been long periods. I'm not saying this is the cause, no one has told me it is but I have noticed when I am healthier and not so overweight the periods don't seem so bad.

Hopefully we can all get our periods to be regular.

I hope that once I loose weight my periods will be regular again. I also hope i can come up with the money to go to a OBGYN soon.
Thank you! I am at the point that I will try almost anything. I will look into this and let you know what happens!
after reading these posts i don't feel like I am crazy. I am 40yrs old and have had a period for over a 100 days. My OBGYN has done biopsies on me the last time this happened and found nothing. Birth control pills regulated it last time. However they make me sick and so mean!! I got off of them, now three years later here we go again. i have been on pills now 3 months and it still has not stopped!! It slowed down a little but then goes full force again. I am so tired of this. I am in pain a lot from passing huge baseball size blood clots. i am also anemic so this is not helping. i feel weak and tired a lot. thought of trying natural remedies but have not yet. Has anyone else out there tried them????
You can't take the medicines that doctors are giving you and expect to be completely healed. They are prescribing medicines that induce a false period, or a false pregnancy; depending on if you are not having a period or don't start one. They simply mask the problem and don't try to cure it. Start looking at natural cures. It's expensive but you can get your hormone levels checked. If it's a hormone imbalance then find a natural way to balance them. I deal with the same issue and haven't fixed my irregularity yet, but the Lord is helping me. Confess healing over yourself. Every time you think of the problem confess the opposite. God is good and will give you wisdom and peace on what you should do to correct the issue.
I am only 16 and on birth control. I have been on birth control for about 2 1/2 years and switched about a year ago to Seasonique. When my doctor told me they weren't supplying Seasonique he gave me LoSeasonique. I was on LoSeasonique for 6 months and ever since have had my period for a complete month. It keeps getting heavier then lighter. I just switched last week back to my original birth control and am still having problems, but now im spotting HEAVILY and my Super plus tampons can only be worn for, at the most, an hour. This ***** because I'm in high school and a dancer. I can't keep doing this. Does stress effect how much you bleed? It's never happened until I got on LoSeasonique, can my period just be "making up" since I didn't get my periods every 3 months? HELP!!!
i have been bleeding for 3 months now and now i have been feeling very dizzy and my brest hurt soo bad i dont know what to do any more i cant seem to find answers some one please help
I am 19 I have been on my period for about three weeks and i usually have it about 6-7 days I am still a virgin and usually dont get my period until once a year!!! what does this mean I am so scared please help!!!
Viewing 1-200 comments: