Period lasting for about 6-7 weeks
I'm 25 and I have always had irregular periods, but now I have had one that has lasted about 6-7 weeks and counting. It's sometimes heavy and then most of the time it's light. Sometimes it's like 'period' blood and other times it fresh - like i've just cut myself. I've been to see the nurse and she did a few blood tests and the results are i have to go back for a prolactin test in 3 months. She also did a pregnancy test - but I can't be pregnant. I'm about 3 stone over weight and the nurse said that wasn't the problem. I am not taking any medication and i'm not on any birth control (my fiance had a vasectomy in 1989). I have recently changed my diet for the better - eating fresh, homemade food instead of processed. I also haven't had any major stress in my life recently. When it first started i was tired a lot - but not after 6 odd weeks, i don't seem to have any side effects. Can someone help please.
Thanks - I'll be sure to keep at them. I'll be going to the doctor this week or next.
There are so many reasons why women become irregular. You do need to make sure they are checking for anemia with having such an extended period and blood loss. Perhaps you should see a doctor instead of a nurse. They should be running blood tests to check the Thyroid, Bleeding disorders etc.. Women go through changes for no apparent reason as they get older. Not that 25 is old, just that you may be having a hormonal imbalance that is usually treatable with the use of hormone therapy (Birth Control pills). My daughter has had severe bleeding since the onset of her periods and after years of tests and many different pills that would regulate her temporarily she is now back on track with no more pills. In almost 4 years, there was NEVER a reason given for her to have such a problem other than hormonal imbalance. They just couldn't find a single thing wrong to explain it. It is hard to swallow that there is no reason for such a thing I know, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things in seeking medical treatment. Just keep pushing them until you get this figured out and under control. And don't forget to check for anemia. Especially if you are feeling overly tired, weak, or dizzy.
The best of luck to you and I hope you get back on track very soon!
--J
have you been tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome?WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I USE TO HAVE CYCLES FOR weeks at a time they ran test after i went to doctor after doctor even had several d&c,laporascopy,histerpeniograms, still they  found nothing then in 2003 i found uot i had pcos.try getting tested it's worth a try.
I posted this message a while ago and since then, I'm still bleeding.
I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago and he gave me 'Norethisterone' to take and said that would stop the bleeding. It did for the first few days, but after that, the bleeding came back. I've been in a lot of pain and light headed, dizzy and feeling slightly queasy - but not actually being sick. I am going to see the doctor again on the 16th and hopefully he'll refer me to the specialist at the hospital.

It's been an absolute nightmare - i've missed so many days at college and am not going to make it to my exams this week. Not to mention the physical relationship with my fiance - but he's been very supportive - thankfully. It's been really getting me down, so I hope it will get sorted so.

The 16th can't come quickly enough!!!

Thanks for the comments posted by people.
I am going through the same thing, I am going for blood work and ultra sound on the 28th. would love to know how your test turned out.
I also have a nodule on my thyroid that I have to have a byopsy on I don't know if there could be any connection or not guess we'll see. would greatly appreciate any input.
Have you had an ultrasound done? Haa anyone mentioned uterine fibroids. I just had a laparatomy myomectomy done on March 22nd to remove lare fibroids that caused so much pain and irregular bleeding. I've even missed periods for 6 months at a time. My frieds buddy has had the same bleeding issues as yourself. She has to wear two maxi pads at once. She was bleeding so much one day that her tounge turned white and she had to be rushed down to the emergency room (she works at a hospital). It turned out to be a fibroid sitting at the cervix causing all the bleeding. An emergency surgery had to be done.
I am under 30, and for almost 6 years I have been trying to get pregnant. I have had irregular periods ever since my very first one at 15. They last sometimes for 2 or 3 months, and other times they last for 6 - 7 days. Sometimes I won't have a period for 5 or 6 months. I have pushed doctors and I have even gone to the hospital..when I bleed to much. Alll of them have told me nothing. I have even lost my temper with them. No one seems to want to help me. I have taken many birth control pills to regulate me....but I have all the side effects when my period comes. I even tried depro-vera, and I had my period for 9 months. I am desperate, and depressed about it. Please help!!!!
i have had my period for 3 months and i can't get a Dr. appt until September! ahh! anyone have anything similar? i don't have any other side effects really... my breasts hurt sometimes and they have been swollen... they itch like crazy!
my friend is having her period non stop for three months now she has been to a doctor and they gave her pills to take. the period only stops during the time she takes the pill and once they are finish she started to bleed again. what could be the cause and what can she do or ask the doctor to do?
i am 34 and have been trying to get pregnant for 15 years.  when i get a period it will not stop until i take norethisterone.  I try to take this for 3 months for 21 days.  I stop taking it for 7 days  hoping that it will regulate my cycle.  unfortunetly i am only regular for one month and then its back to a heavy period.  i am fed up with my doctor and the gyncologist as they never have an explanation for this.  I have had all the tests done laparoscpy and a DNC.  After reading everyone's messages i do not feel like an alien there are other females in the same boat as me.  I hope oneday  someone can solve this difficult problem.  Any help about getting pregnant will be appreciated - is there no chance of getting pregnant while taking norethisterone.
humy c from glasgow
Ive been on my period for 7 weeks since i had a miscarriage but i dont want to go to the doctors, what is wrong with me?
I've had my period for almost 7 months straight. I called my doctor but can't get an appointment with them until October!! I don't have any pain at all, never have... Sometimes I have huge blood clots and such but most times it's just tiny clots and lots of blood for months on end... I keep searching the net, to see what it is that I have but have not found what my problem is called yet, can't seem to find people who have had it ongoing for as long as me, 7 months.
this is insane that no one seems to get any help to resolve this.  All my doctor does is try to put me on birth control to stop the bleeding and it makes me so sick.  There has got to be some reason for the insane amount of blood coming out of me and the length of time my period lasts.  It lasts over 3 months sometimes and I am a newlywed.  It's terrible.
WOW! I don't feel so alone anymore; not that it solves any of the problems, but it feels a little better not to be the only one with this issue...

I'm 25 years old and up until 2 years ago I was always regular, and I know what caused me to go irregular (stress, being laid off), but I can't figure out why I am going on almost 2 months of being on my period. I've gone up to six months without it and now it's back with a vengence. lol Starting in December of last year, I started getting these really severe pains in my lower right adominal area. At first they said it was food poisoning, then it was ecoli, then it was pylonephrtis, gastrentritus, and finally by june they just gave me viocidin and sent me home. August 2nd I got my period, then it stopped about August 17th and I had ALOT of mucus, I mean alot. Then it came back on the 22nd and is getting heavier! HELP

But I haven't gone to the doctor, because I don't have insurance and usually they just throw birth control at people like me. I don't want to take birth control.
I had been pretty regular up until the last year or so, and then I would have slightly shorter and sometimes longer periods. I am 37 and been having abnormal paps, so I thought it was that, and since I have my paps as ordered I thought everything was ok. However, I had never had one as long as I did the last one. It lasted 3 weeks. It was bright red and wouldn't let go, but has seemed to stopped right now. I had an ultrasound and it shows that I have 1 cm of thickening in the endometrial lining, and I have an enlarged uterus. The doctor called and have to get a hysterscopy and a D & C. I am really scared about this. Any advice?
I, too, am having "period" issues. I started around September 20th. I had my period, normal-heavy, for two-three weeks, with a few days where it was light enough to make me think it was over. I went to the doctor, who took some blood and said I wasn't anemic or pregnant (I thought maybe it was a miscarriage because that is what my sister told me happened to her)... She said to wait 2-3 more weeks, and then to come back if I was still on my period. So it continued... After I went to the doctor, I noticed my blood clots were getting bigger, some as big as about half a fist (I have small hands, btw). They kindof looked like spoonfuls of jelly. I went back for my checkup, and was told (without further testing), that I had two options... Massive doses of birth control pills (which we don't want, because of all the side effects), or to take Provera, which is a hormone. We chose the Provera. Last night I took the last pill... I was told to take it for 5 days and then I should start my period again. She said if this period lasts longer than 2 weeks to come back. I haven't started up again yet, but it hasn't even been 24 hours since my last dose. So hopefully this turns out well.
Oh yah forgot to mention I'm also 26, have one child (5 years old), and I have a dropped bladder.
Well Ive been on my period for 6 weeks, And really I am sort of used to it considering I was on it for 3 months a year ago. In the last two years I have been on 5 birth control pills. Only one worked, which was loestrin 24. The Bleeding is moderate with smaller clots, I have cramping and these weird contraction type things. I am now on a pill called Low Ovural that is bogus I was on it 1 month the bleeding never stopped-my Doc keeps saying give it time....hope much time Lady? Until I bleed over? This whole situation makes me wish I was born a male!!!!! And one of the worse things about it besides buying pads every weeks, not being able to wear your cute undies, having cramps all the time, and wearing dark pants is I can't have sex!!! Ugh! My partner is patient and supportive but come on, who wants a chick bleeding all the time....? I'm so pissed off now lofl
I have 4 children.  about a year after the last had a tubal.  ever since then been bleeding like crazy.  2 -3 - 4  weeks..heavy .then slow,  after a few days it starts over again.  sometimes the clots are so big i can't leave home.  ever overflowed a toilet ...trying to catch all that's flowing...have had thyroid checked, ultra sound, internal exam, bloodwork, she can't find a thing wrong with me.  all my life i've had a 5 day period...now this..it's ruining my life.  and my marriage
Well this site and comments have made me feel more normal. i am going on one straight month with my period, on the 9th of feb it will be one month. i am trying to make an apt at the gyno. i have already seen them twice in just a few months. my pap was normal, except for a bacterial infection in which i took all of the meds they gave me and it went away. i have been told since i have irregular periods, before my last which lasts 10 days, as well as the one previous going back to october. but before that i hadnt gotten a period in 5 mths. i am going on 34 yrs old, i have been told this could be perimenopause by a few people, i dont know what to believe. i guess if that is the case they may do blood work to check my estrogen level then prescribe me estrogen pills, i dont care anymore what the outcome may be, as long as it is treatable. i feel okay knowing there are other women in the same boat as i. hopefully as soon as i see the gyno again i will finally ge the answer i am hoping for!
I see I am not alone. I am 27 years old. I am not on any medication nor am I taking birth control. I experienced the same thing back in 2005, I bled for 56 days, I was given birth control pills to regulate my period but that didn't work. I however remembered that I was stung in the stomach by a wasp.When the situation happend again 56 days later and I was rushed to the hospital. I was given a shot and perscribed benedril and the bleeding stopped. Now Since its winter, I know this is not the case. I have been on my period for nearly three months straight. Not only is it heavy but I have A LOT of Big and Heavy clots as well. I went to my OBGYN. They did the pap smear and pelvic exam. Took blood work. The results all came back negative. My doctor wants to monitor it for a month. Then try birth control pills. Does anyone know what causes this? or what is wrong?
Hi All,
Not sure if anyone is still checking this forum, since most of the responses are a few years old. I was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's basically a hormonal disorder in that you have too much male hormones (androgens) and too much estrogen and not enough progestorne. You can read up on it on the net.

I think the majority of problems with excessive bleeding are all hormonal and all of the prescriptions that the doctors give out only suppress the symptoms that's why when you stop taking them the bleeding comes right back because you haven't addressed what is causing the hormonal imablance, only suppressed it. I"ve started to take things like EstroSense by Lorna Vanderhaeghe and Vitex Angus Castus to help regulate. Other things like diet and excersie are also really important. There are a few people on here that sound like they have the symptoms of PCOS. Weight gain, irregular periods, acne, hair loss, excess hair growth, insulin resistance, infertility, miscarriages etc the list of symptoms goes on and on. But this isn't something that a lot of doctors talk about, but there is more knowledge and new research being done. I would start by ordering some books on Amazon and really looking at the foods and environment you are living in. THere are so many hormones coming into your body from the food you eat- they inject growth hormones into beef and chicken and claim they have no effect on us- but if you are what you eat...... And eating or drinking foods in plastic is huge. There are so many xenoestrogens (the bad ones) in that that just wreck havoc on your body. But there is hope! With diet and excersize and taking the proper supplements I think anyone is able to really get at the core issues and balancing their hormones out. That's just my two cents, but hopefully someone will find it helpful.

Laura
I am a 19 year old girl, and like everyone here I am having problems with my periods. I have had a bleed for the past month now, and I have been to my doctor so many times, as I have been bleeding and I am only 7.5 stone, my mum was quite concerned, as I started feeling sick and dizzy, and am experiencing weight loss. I have always had problems with my periods, and I am looking to resolve this problem. I have been on almost every pill available, and I have also tried taking Norethisterone, and at a different time I tried Tranexamic Acid, but these didnt help. Is there anyone who can help?
WOW, reading all this i now see i am not alone. i have been bleeding for almost 4 weeks str8, and it's really bothering me, i thought it was off one night, and i tried to have sex, but not even 5 min, after i started, i gushed blood all over his thing, and it was basicaly a mood killer. it's really affecting my normal life, i'm irritable all the time, moody, depressed, feel sick, the whole works like i was pregnant, but i'm not. i've had i don't know how many pregnancy tests and they all came back negative, i've had to have surgery to remover cancerous cells on my cervix on jan. 13 of this year, i have had ultrasounds, blood work, the works, and they won't tell me anyting, what should i do?
I know the feeling! I have had my period for weeks now and I have gained 10 plus pounds! This is ridiculous. At least I don't feel so all alone about it now.
god i didn't realise just how many other women this was affecting! i'm 20 and had my period for 7 weeks. I've had stomach cramps a lot of days and havn't eaten much for the last few days because i feel so nauseus.
I went to the doctor a few weeks agoo and they did a thyroid test which came back negative so i'm going back next week to try and sort it out because it's driving me crazy! i've also been getting hot flush kind of things.. has that happened to anyone else??
I am having something similar. I have always had irregular periods and before 2009 I had not had my period for almost a year. Since April 15th I have had my period and it's going on two months now. I went to my Dr. he gave me a blood test and my thyroids are fine. I am not pregnant and so he put me on YAZ. My period still hasn't stopped so I went to the hospital. I have been in a lot of pain and passing big clots. I also have been sick to my stomach and dizzy, also I have had a few hot flashes. The Dr. at the hospital did a few blood test and said my Hemoglobin was very high and I was bleeding my from cervix a little bit. He gave me provarin to take for 10 days  to stop my period. I am on day 6 and the bleeding is still really bad and so is the pain. I have an apt on the 17th! So let's hope they find something...
I am having some of the same things. i have been on my period for over a months now, ended up in the ER like 2 weeks ago. the did a trans-vaginal ultra sound and diagnosed me with Endometrial Hyperplasia, which is a abnormal thickining of the lining of the uterus, caused by excess estrogen. They told me to see a specialist within the next week, but its expensive. i was told i have to have a D&C, which is a minor surgery in which they dialait the cervix and pretty much scrap out my uterus. sounds freaky. but im willing to do anything to get rid of the bleeding and cramps
When i first started menstruating at 12yrs old i would get my period every 2 or 3 months and my period would last 2 weeks or less. Or sometimes it was regular getting it every month and it would last a week or 4 days. But then as I started to get older around 17 & 18. I would get my period every 2 or 3 months but my period would last a month or a month and a couple weeks. I've taken birth control off and on for 4 years and when I go off it, my period goes back to normal, not getting my period for a long time. In 2007 I got my period only 3 times!!! I'm terrified that I'm going to have fertility problems or not be able to conceive.  The wierd thing is that when I do get my period I loose weight is that normal for anyone?  How do you get tested for these kinds of problems?
I am so glad I am not alone on this subject!  I have been having problems for over a year now and still can't figure out what is wrong.  I started having really long and heavy periods with alot of clotting back the Spring of 2008.  I made several trips to the doctor and was placed on Prometrium for 10 days to stop the bleeding.  Afterwards, they say you are supposed to get another period but I didnt till a month later.  A month or so would go by where my period was normal, lasting about 5 days.  Then it would start the cycle all over again and I would end up taking the meds again.  Finally in December, I had a Hysteroscopy and D&C to clean me out.  I was told that there was a few pollups removed and that I have a Bicornuate (heart shaped) uterus.  However, I was told that this would not cause the bleeding.  It was recommended that I get on birth control but I opted out since my husband and I want to try and have kids.  After the procedure in December, everything seemed fine for a few months.  It all started back up in February again.  Every month my period gets longer and longer.  I am now taking Prometrium again to stop the bleeding.  I placed a call to the Gyn office and am awaiting an answer back as to whether I have to go in or not.  I am going to ask him to run blood tests for everything this time especially for hormone imbalance and pcos.
Ok, so I've been irregular since December, which is also when I started having hot flashes at the ripe old age of 28 (now 29 - jan. b-day).  I have not had any kids or been on birth control for years.  I have always been regular and very heavy - every 27/28 days.  At first it started being lighter, which actually made me happy, but then the hot flashes came.  I have had a thyroid ultrasound and I have 2 small nodules.  I was told that they are too small to be causing any problems.  I had my blood levels checked and my hormones are normal.  I told my family doctor, who is wonderful, sometimes better than specialists, that I am still having issues.  On top of all those other symptoms, I have also been depressed, stressed, anxious, and extremely irritable.  My family doctor put me on meds for that, which I am thankful and referred me to an Endocrinologist.  I am so thankful he did that, sometimes I feel like he's the only doctor who ever listens.  (I will hate the day he retires!)  I still have to wait until Oct.  I've been waiting for this appt. for months - I hope he can help because I can't stand this any longer.  Hot flashes are not fun and neither is being depressed or moody!  I just want to be me again!!!!!
Wow... it crazy but it's such a relief to see I'm not in this alone. My cycle has always been irregular but this last month I have my period for 12 days! then came off for a about a week and a half and started again for 5 days, then came off for about 4 days now back on! I'm soooo scared. I'm 29 (30 next month) and really want to have kids but am not married yet. I just dont know what can be going on. I hope I'm not going through early menopause or will need a hysterectomy.. I really really want kids. My family doc put me on birth control ( 2 a day) until the bleeding stop.. it stopped, but then came back. I cant take the birth control anymore because it makes me sick in my stomach. I do have hot flashes and I feel like I just cant lose weight and I work out! My fam doc said I prob have PCOS but it's never been tested. I made an appt with a gyno for the 23rd of this month.. Hopefully my cycle will be over so they can test.... Im really scared.
Going into 50 days.  I thought I had it bad until I read some of the other posts here.  On Provera now, 4th day, not much change.  Doc says I'm too young to be going into peri-menopause.  I thought 46 was about normal.  He wants me back for a pap as soon as my period stops...whenever that may be.  
I am 38 years old and I have had blood tests done pap test and Ultrasounds including vaginal for my abnormal bleeding. I have been bleeding for 4 weeks now. They can not tell me why! All my tests come back normal. I was on birth control for 20 years and stopped taking them 3 years ago after my husbands vasectomy and I have never had children. Does anyone think because I have never had children that would cause abnormal bleeding? I go see my gynecologist on Tuesday I am going to ask her that. I have always been on track with my periods up until about 3 months ago. This really *****!
im  am 21 years old and just recently my irregularity started i have been on my period for 3 weeks now and its scaring me.... idk what to do it didnt even las this long after i had my son at 19 what do i do
I've been regular ever since I first got my period when I was 11, it's a month before my 16th birthday and I've been on my period for about 6 weeks now...Is it a danger? I've never had sex so I can't be pregnant nor had a miscarriage but sometimes the blood is clotted or it's a bit like jelly. Well I've never seen it do that before so I'm at a loss at what to do.
I'm hopefully going to see my GP tomorrow, I haven't been feeling terribly dizzy but sometimes I get a bit flushed or have an occasional **** but nothing painful; just like a normal cramp. I am overweight, that I do know, which is entirely my own fault, so in the past month I've changed my diet and I've been eating more fruit, walking more, drinking more water...all the normal healthy stuff. Could this be what's making my body complain? I thought that maybe, as I use tampons, that I could have torn something; though I don't think it would still be bleeding as bad. Sometimes it's like I've cut myself, very red and more like ink and sometimes it's the normal burgundy brown colour and a little bit thicker. Can anyone help? I'm only just starting to get worried and I've told my mum and we're going to the doctors but is it really anything to worry about as I'm so young? Or is that the problem; I am so young?
I went to see my GP this morning and he just seemed a bit baffled with my case. We went through all the questions and he just sort of looked at me like I'd grown a second head. But in the end he put me on "Norethisterone" and I'm to take one 3 times a day for ten days. I've reread the leaflet several times and it says that it's also good if you suffer from "Endometriosis". If this trial doesn't work then I have to go back for blood tests and if nothing comes back from that I don't know what I'll do; I don't really want to go on the pill cos I don't need it, but if this doesn't work then I shall be asking you all some more questions. If not by then any input you all have would be very welcome as it might come in handy later on.
Did the 10 days of Provera...no help.  Doc gave me a hormone shot on Wednesday of last week and told me to stay off from work the rest of the week to give it a better chance to work since I work nights and am on my feet all night.  This is Monday and it still hasn't stopped, although it's showing signs of slowing down.  This is so frustrating!  Thinking about investing in a bottle of Krazy Glue and a cork.
So relieved to know I am not alone. Going into my 5th week of a period this time, sometimes it lasts 2/3 weeks then stops for 2/3 weeks, sometimes longer, I dont know where I am, can never just go out 'unprotected' its so depressing. My stomach is bloated, I've put on half a stone and I also have a whooshing noise in my ears....like when you put a shell against it and hear the sea?.
I was thinking it might just be an age thing, I'm 47.
Going to the doctors next week.
  Did the Provera, took the hormone shot.  Now I'm on generic Ortho-Tricyclen.  Starting my third month of this, and am getting very frustrated, depressed, and aggravated.  Lethargic, disgusted with how I feel all the time.  Tired when I go to bed, tired when I get up.  Exhausted at work and can't afford to miss because I'm divorced and footing all my bills alone.  (Complainer's Corner is over here, by the way.  LOL)
  And, Gaiill, the "whooshing" sound you hear is classic of tinnitus, another symptom of menopause.  Got that one, too.  Sometimes I can barely hear myself think over the noise, or that's how it seems, anyway.
  I always heard that you started falling apart at 40.  I must have been a 'late-bloomer'.  I didn't start falling apart 'til 45.  But I'm making up for lost time, now, boy.
Ive been on NuvaRing for 3 months now and my gyno told me i could keep it in for the 4 weeks and change it after bc there was no point in me having a period right now. About 2 weeks ago i started to get a light brown discharge and now it has gotten darker, but its not heavy until i work out, and doesnt hurt and im not haveing cramps or bloating. is this normal since i dont have my period monthly?
OMG i feel a bit better knowing im not the only one, i am 23 and have had my period for About 11 week in the last couple of days it has been really bad!! ive been to 3 different doctors and they all jus keep telling me to take pills first i was on levlen (contraception pill) which made me extreamly sick now im on primolut n, and nothing has changed
i dont understand these doctors they just dont seem to care!!!!
its soo scary. I also have a 3 yr old and cant afford to b tierd all the time!
HELP!!
I couldn't remember whether I posted again after my second post so here I am again. The trial of Norethisterone worked for me. After the very first pill my period stopped and I continued to finish the trial and my periods are regular again; no small clots or anything like that. It really did work, so if you haven't been on this particular pill then you should definitely try it if nothing else worked for you. I think it is a contraceptive pill (it also delays a period for a honeymoon or a date) but it only lasts for however long the trial is. Doesn't have a funny taste and the pills are quite small again. When you finish the trial about 4-5 days after your period starts again and if it doesnt work then you just do another one, but luckily for me my periods are regular again.
Wow, did not realize I wasn't alone.

Not only are my symptoms very similar, but the road blocks with my doctors are the same.

I'm 21 years old, and for the past 5 years my period have been strange, huge, and sometimes non existent.

I was just recently bleeding at a normal rate for about 5 months, Then I stopped bleeding for 3 days, and it's now back with a vengence I have not experienced yet. Bleeding through a super tampon in a matter of 20 minutes. Not being able to sleep without bleeding through a tampon and an overnight pad every few hours, living with my boyfriend it is downright embarrasing.

I've gone to the doctors, The only real answer they give me is birth control, of course this option is only after they tell me that it will be difficult to conceive children. I'm in a healthy 5 year relationship, and independent. Why would I further lower my chances to get pregnant?

Birth Control is not an answer, it's like giving Tylenol to someone with a brain tumor. Helps a little, but it just masks to problem. I want someone to find out what is wrong with me first, then see where we can go from there.

I've been tested for PCOS, Negative.
I've had an ultrasound of my utuerus and ovaries.
I've had a horomone screening.

I'm normal, docs don't bat an eye.
I always feel like the doctor is looking down at me. Like saying, take a damn birth control pill, stop bitching, and let me get back to my job.

It's so frustrating.

And the pain! The pain is so horrible, I can't bend down at all, I feel like my insides are exploding, and my job is less than understanding about it, I've missed so many days due to this.

I wish there was an answer, or a specialist I could go to that deals with this issue specifically. Is it something this generation ate or breathed? Why is this horrible life altering problem so damn common?

It's messing with my life, a hazard for my job, a strain on my relationship, and an emotion rollarcoaster of being scared that I'll never be able to conceive.
So comforting to hear everyone's experiences! I am 24, and my periods have been irregular for basically as long as I've been having them. I was on birth control five years ago, but haven't gone near the stuff since due to weight gain and a massive loss of sex drive.
These days I might skip my period for five months, or have one that lasts three days and is so heavy I'm running to the bathroom every half hour. At the moment I have been bleeding lightly for nearly one moth. I am quite healthy, and positive that this issue is not related to diet. So what's the deal?!
Doctors have always told me that it is normal to be irregular, and there's nothing actually wrong, and that I can go on birth control to sort out the problems. It sure doesn't feel normal to me.

I came across this interesting article about the man who invented the birth control pill in the New Yorker (http://www.gladwell.com/2000/2000_03_10_a_rock.htm.) It gives some insight into women, hormones, evolution and pregnancy. Definitely worth a look. Although it doesn't really offer any practical advice, it certainly made me feel better to see what my body is expecting in terms of hormones versus what it's actually getting. This article made me feel that it's time for someone to re-vamp the birth control pill completely, because the guy who created it...well, read the article :).
I'm so glad I found this forum.  I just got off of BC 4 and a half months ago after being on it for 11 months. I had 2 very light periods and am now on my third and it has been going on for over 3 weeks now. I went to the Gyno who wants me to take provera or a bc pill and I really don't want to take any more medicine that is going to affect my body further.  I'm trying to wait for it to just regulate itself but it is mentally draining being on my period for soooo long.

Does anyone have any ideas how to naturally regulate periods?
I have the same problem as everyone, i have always have unusual cycles and just 2 years ago i had my period for 2 months str8, like everyone says sometimes it will be clumps and sometimes its so light it looks like fresh blood that i got a cut from. I talked to my sister who had the same problem and saw a chinese aupunture, she said that she went through the acupunture and after the chinese doctor gave her some herbal medcine for her to drink like a tea daily for 7 days and her period would disappear, 8 days later her period disappear and she afterwards had monthly then she got prengant. i took my stepmom to see the chinese doctor since she had that same problem the aupuncture doctor told me that since a serious of women dont have their period for a while there are blood clugs around around the walls of our urteus and just like glue eveymonth our ovaries releases an egg and when you dont get your period or when it your suppose to have your period your blood gets stuck on its walls and you bleed for awhile like your body was trying to clean itselfI ask my sister if she still had the tea, she gave me them and i drank it, after about 9 days after that my period stopped and i had regular periods. Now i'm back on bleeding for a month, i was thinking about seeing a doctor, but from what everyone is saying and all the stress everyone went through, i shouldnt go see a doctor, i should make a trip to the chinese aupunture, im going to drink the herbal tea again hopefully it works again, anyone who has the same problem should consider that too.
It worked!! I went to see the aupunture and she gave me a bag with stuff like tea, i dranked it for 3 days and already i saw my period was clearing up, then on my 5th day its completely gone, now i'm not even bleeding anymore. I was sooooo happy i dont even have to wear a pad anymore.
Hi...I'm 48, have 4 children and never had a problem with my period until recently.  Have never been on birth control really (tried the pill once back in my early 20's but it make me bleed continuously).  Back in January I had a normal period, it stopped then less than a week later it started again lasting for 4 days.   Didn't have a period then for over 2 months...  I thought I might have been pregnant.  Finally I got my period  about 3 weeks ago but now it wont stop!  It's getting worse on a daily basis.  I'm going through tampons every 30 minutes and getting major clotting.  Went to a doctor yesterday, she did an internal and said that everything seemed normal.  No polyps... no pain... She also did a pregnancy test to see if I could have had a miscarriage but it came back negative.  I'm going crazy here... I cant really go outside the house far because I'm constantly bleeding through even when using 2 tampons and a maxi pad. I'm a single mom with a fairly new bf (so much for sex), I have my own cleaning business which is really starting to take off but now I cant work... I also have an ex husband who  doesn't give me or his kids one penny so I need to work to support and feed my kids!  I don't have any other signs of peri-menopause or anything, I'm fit, athletic and have never had a health issue in the past other than severe stress over the past couple of years.  Does this seem like it could be peri-menopause symptoms?  It really helps knowing that there are others going through the same things...
I made a post a while back about my period not ending. I went to the vitamin shoppe and picked up what is called "omega women", it's an evening primrose oil blend and a day after taking it my period was extremely light and soon after it ended. I have been taking it daily and have had a normal period. maybe something to try.
dyw
I am 25 years old and I've been on my period for about a month and a week now. I had been spotting in between periods for the last year, and last month my period started and hasn't yet ended. I also get hot flashes frequently, and have developed scalp acne. I am curious about whether or not the women who posted in 2006 have resolved their problem. I am also curious about everyone's level of alcohol consumption? No one has mentioned anything about alcohol on this thread. I used to have very heavy bleeding and terrible cramping when I was younger, but after I began drinking, the bleeding was lighter and the cramping disappeared. But I have read that alcohol causes hormonal imbalances. I have about one drink a day, and occasionally binge drink maybe once or twice a month. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this!
I am pretty much the same as everyone else, one thing i havent seen mentioned is that, i have the implanon inserted. Has anyone else got this?
Getting really annoying now, got a doctors appointment tomorow so hopefully it will be sorted! But getting quite worried reading all your comments saying about how serious this could be, and the doctors dont really seem to care!
So I'm 16 and have had major issues with my period I recently went and got an IUD put in and my gynacologist put me on Sesonique but my cramps are intense and I've been on my period heavily for the past two weeks any help?
I had a problem with prolonged periods, sometimes lasting several months at a time with an average of one day of no bleeding each month.  It came on suddenly after having periods so regular, you could keep a calendar by my cycle.  I went to the gynocologist and she put me on some Provera to force the uterine lining to shed.  But that was just a symptom fixer.  The real problem she wanted to test for was a thyroid issue, so she sent me to an endocrinologist.  He tested my thyroid and it turned out I have Hashimoto's disease.  It sounds scary, but it is a very common problem with the thyroid.  It's an autoimmune disease.  Basically, your body sees your thyroid as a foreign object and attacks it.  Since your thyroid regulates a lot in your body, it can do a lot of things to you.  There are lots of symptoms, but the ones I experienced most were:  weight gain, prolonged periods, exhaustion, feeling tired all the time.  It will even cause the outer third section of your eyebrows to thin... may seem strange, but look in the mirror and see if your eyebrows are thinning on the outer third.

Even if it's not Hashimoto's or even a thyroid problem, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to see an endocrinologist as well as a gynecologist for period problems.  There are so many hormones in the body that can mess with your period and most take a simple synthetic hormone pill to fix.  I take a synthetic thyroid pill and it works great.  

Seeing a gynecologist only can result in a lot of frustration with taking several kinds of birth control pills to regulate irregular periods when that will do NOTHING for the hormone problem which could be the CAUSE for the prolonged period.  

Worth a try for a lot of you I think!!
Hi everyone, ive also been bleeding for about 7 weeks none stop im 37 and ive had problems with periods for years im finally seeing a consultant on the 25 this month.

Ive been really worried and thinking the worse as i lost my mum and dad through cancer, i feel a bit better now reading im not on my own through this.  I feel drained and moody all the time which isnt fair to my husband or children i hope i get it sorted i will keep you updated.

anyone out there that is just getting fobbed off by there doctor put your foot down as its not normal to bleed for that long good luck everyone xxx cerrie x
I'm 17 and my peroid will has lasted 3 going on 4 weeks. At first they where normal then they didn't stop but the thing is they aren't heavy there pretty light I'm just scard this isn't normal because I've i have never had a period last more then 5 days. Even thuogh I'll get me period one month and it won't come until two months later or 26 days later it's never been this long.
Hi Everyone! Well first thing I have to say is why do woman have to deal with all this crap? I say the men should have to deal with periods!! haha..I'm not sure if anyone will still be reading these posts..I hope so..I'm 36 years old..I am happily married. and a proud mom of 2 awesome boys..Riley is 7 years and Brody is 11 months..After i had my c section with Brody I had my tubes tied..since then I've developed high blood preasure...(severe hypertension actually) and my periods have been awful!! I am going on 7 weeks straight now..heavy bleeding..blood clots..cramping and this awful lower back pain that will not go away!! After reading all your posts about going thru the same thing..I was wondering what everyone's outcome was..I am going out of my mind trying to figure out what could be wrong with me and I'm scared to death!! I'm going to the Dr's tomorrow and praying for good news..My mom died of cervical cancer and alot of people in my family have had it..It could be nothing but of course you always think the worst..any info would be great!! Thanks :)
im 20 and i was on the depo vera contraceptive injection, i came off it in september after being on it for 3 years because i gained 7 stone on it and kept getting infections, my periods came back and lasted a week like normal, them 6 weeks ago i started a period and it just hasnt stopped.
ive got a history of abdo pain since i was 11 and got referred to a gyne dr at 18, i had my cervic caurterized and a lapo done still no answer or resolve to the abdo pain.
my period varies from normal, fresh, black and brown then fresh again.
any advice???
I'm 47.  Had not had a period since early April.  Started a few weeks ago and it is still going strong.  Seem to bleed a lot when I sit on the potty -- just whooshes out.  No pain, no other side effects.  Almost 2.5 weeks now.  Going to the doctor tomorrow, but can they do an exam while I'm still menstruating?  Is excessive bleeding a sign of 'the change' coming on?
Hi, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to myself, I am 29 and i have been on my period for 8 months now, having only had a week off in the whole of the time, i feel awful but doctor just gives me birth control pills to try, i dont think they care that it can ruin our lives!! i am so tired and moody all the time, i have finally had blood test for thyroid so maybe that may shed some light!
Hi im 27 years old i have had my peroids for over two months when i think there gone they come back a few hours later . I could fell a lump on my left breasy just on the right side of it and than it disapears and than i fell it again its not sore but about a week ago my hold left breast was sore would i need to visit my doctor ?
Hi  im 27 years old i have my period for the last 8 weeks or more some times it's just a bit of blood but it has not gone away now i feel a lump in my left breast at the end of it just near  the out side near the middle of the breast like the shape of a pea but sometimes i check and it's gone would i need to see my gp please comment
more information im nearly 18 stone and would my size have anything to do with it im single and don't smoke or drink .
Hi all,
Looks like this is a nightmare that would never end. I have had my periods for 2 months now. i have consulted a gynacologist and my Gp they put me on a pill to stop the bleeding but still no luck. Im tired all the time, but cant sleep at night. The doctors say it's stress, but the only thing that's stressing me out right now is "THIS" situation. I wish that doctors could be more precise rather that prescribing lots of expensive medication that doesn't work.
I hope that everyone previously had help because this is not a pleasant situation and definately not something us women have to go through, as is we dont have enough to worry about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've experiexed the exact same thing kitty89209. I'm also 20.. but no lapo or cevix thinggy done. I've done blood test and am hoping to get results soon plus the ultrasound done sometime tomorrow...wish me luck!
I am a 48 y.o woman who is absolutely freeking out. I've had my period for over 3 weeks now. up until now, I have had regular periods, albeit extremely painful, clotting and heavy, I figured it was the way it was for older women. I am hoping that I am just going through the change and that this will be the "end" of it, but I am relieved to know that many others (especially you younger girls) are experiencing the same symtoms.
I am so glad i typed this in google. I felt quite in my own boat. I have always had heavy periods from my very 1st period. But when i had the contraceptive implant fitted into my arm september 2009, i now have periods lasting 6-8weeks, eventually stop for 2-3weeks and back to the 6+ weeks. I am 20 years old, im not overweight and im not overweight, im a healthy 8-10, get enough excersise. anyway i went back to my doctor and they just said it was the side affects of the implant. Gave me a contraceptive pills to take day after day with no break. Yes this stopped the bleeding but surely that cant be healthy to keep the blood inside, could this cause clots?? etc.. So i decided to stop taking the pills after 3months non stop taking them and by day 2 the bleeding was back with a vengance. Ahhh surely theres got to be something else
I am a Spaniard living in USA now. I had my first period when I was 11, and it has always been irregular until I arrived to USA 3 years ago. Then I started to have it every 27-29 days. I come from a big city and here I live in a small town, so I thought that this helped my period to be more regular, however, it kept being very painful the 2 first days.
My last normal period was the week after Labor Day. After that nothing until Halloween, so I skip it one month. it is going to be 3 weeks that I have it non-stop. At first, I had to use over-night pads during the day, and I had to change them several times a day. Of course. at night, I had to use 2.
I have very big clots, some of them even hurt, and I also have fresh blood bleeding. For the weight, I have lost 5 pounds since I had it for Halloween, which I think is due to the blood that I had stored from my missing period.
Right now, I still have to wear a tampon and a pad at the same time, but it looks like it's close to be done. An it wasn't painful at all this time.
I don't know if the changes in my food did something. It is also true that I had several changes in my life that made me feel stressed.
I have been thinking about going to a doctor here, but after reading you guys, I see that doctors don't seem to have any idea of what this is.
I am happy that I found women with the same problem as me, I don't feel alone now.
By the way, I'm 35 and no kids.
I am 29 years old and infertile, my husband and I have been trying for four years to get pregnant. They said it was pcos and they put me on clomid which made me not so pleasant and then they put me on Metformin and said take it for seven days and then you should start your period. After two days I was in the hospital with extreme bleeding. Now I get my period once every couple of months and it lasts for three or more weeks. This month I have had one for a month as of the 3rd of Dec. It is really runny sometimes and then I think I am done and boom I will have clots that are as big as my palm of my hand. This cant be normal. I am open to suggestions. Thanks
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1406094?personal_page_id=1906874

Hopefully the above link works, it's to a fairly long post I didn't want to try to re-write that is to do with my own experience and personal hell of heavy uterine bleeding and irregular periods. If it doesn't work, go to 'Womens Health' and look for the question posted called 'abnormal uterine bleeding'.
   This is what happened to me and what I did to stop it. I believe the bottom line is that our bodies are aturated with excess hormones, natural and synthetic and they are wreaking havoc in our bodies. Read it if you want , see what you think, try it , you have nothing to lose. I'm not a a professional, just and average woman who was feeling so alone and so like my only choices were to take heavy duty synthetic, dangerous hormones or have my female parts removed! I chose not to do that, and I am so glad because it was totally uncessecary, I did it all with diet and lifestyle change, a few supplements I was obviously deficient in and tadaaah!!! Check it out girls, it took a while, for me, almost 2 years, not everyone will take that long, I was doing the research as I went and it was trial and error, but for most it will not be that long. You don't get loaded up with those endocrine disrupting chemicals overnight it 's not going to clear out over night either, patience important! I'm not selling anything either LOL
I am currently entering my 7th week on being on my period. When I was younger (well until maybe 3 years ago) my periods ran like clockwork. Very regular and never too much of a problem. Since then I do for a couple of months a year have a regular cycle, then things will stop and I wont get anything for months on end. When I do finally start again it last for an age. 3 months last time, goodness knows this time!

To make things worse I tend to have a couple of weeks of normal to light periods and just when I think its stopping I get huge clots and heavy bleeding. A lot of the time during this phase it will be really red, like I have had an injury rather than the 'normal' colour.

I suffer with severe depression and so because of this my stress levels can be very high. Unfortunately that is the reason for the disruption. I find it really quite difficult to deal with at times.
Well, where to start. First, I am glad I found this site, however my issues are still a bit different and I have YET to find someone with the same exact issues I have.

Here they are: my periods are actually consistent (a consistent irregular, if that makes sense, lol)  

My period usually lasts anywhere from 4-8 weeks (1-2months) and is VERY VERY light. When I clot, the clots are very small (about the size of a pea) If it wasn't for hygiene, I could pull off wearing 1 super tampon a day. (obviously, I change it for hygiene purposes)

I have NO cramping, no back pain, no breast tenderness- Basically I have no symptoms one usually gets when their on their period.

After 1-2 months of being on my period, im OFF my period for about 1-2 weeks, then it starts all over again, 1-2 months of a very very light period, etc.

I am 25 years old. I am on NO medication. Hmmm. Anyone else who has the same issue as me?
I know I just posted, but on another note, my sister has had very irregular periods too, hers are the complete opposite of mine; she will go months and months without a period, and when she gets hers, its VERY heavy and painful- HOWEVER, the docs told her she was going to have a very hard time conceiving and may never be able to have a child.  She JUST found out shes pregnant! Its all about timing the doc said

For those who dont ovulate, or dont know when they ovulate, keep trying! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE :)
i am 21 years old i have had d implanon for about 1 year 1/2
i have always been irregular in my periods ever since i started.
for the past 2 years i have had periods that last from 4-7 weeks and more .
on monday i will have been going on my 7 week on my period nd to top it off i have been gaining weight .
i do not believe that its because of the implanon , but i am not a doctor so i do not know . i am planning to go to the doctor next week to see if they can tell me anything . ill keep you posted .
Could have cyst
I have been having very regular periods for 7 years .. i am 20 ryt nw .
when i ws 18 i and my bf had been physically intimate nd i used a birth control pill my periods gt irregular fr almost 8 months nd den became regular  again.
in jan 2011 i had periods fr 4-5 days nd dey stopped fr a while i.e lyk 5-6 days nd started again nd dey are still gng on
i am scared. help me. I am a bit overweight
I'm 14. My period has lasted for around 5 weeks. I'm kind of scared..I've heard that when you first start your cycle changes a little but this is drastic! My first period was when i was 11 or 12 lasting 4-7 days. I told my mom and she told me if it doesn't stop in a couple of days to tell her. Well it was a couple of days and i got really sick with the flu so we went to the doctor, my mom told me to mention my period was lasting so long but i chickened out and told her it was stopping, because it got lighter. But a couple days after that it got heavier again, I'm really scared if any of you have information please help.
I work at a doctors surgery and have recently had the same trouble. I have been on my period for 9 weeks now it started just before jan 2011! I have the implanon in my left arm and first went to my own doctors a week into my period because my boyfriends mum said she heard some girls are getting pregnate whilst on the implanon. My doctor said he hasnt heard anything and the implanon stick in my arm felt fine and i assured him i wasnt preganate becuase i was on my period.

After about 7 weeks i went back to my doctors because I was still on my period and he (just like all doctors everyone else seems to have on this forum) threw me more birth control! I started taking it and after a couple of days it stopped then another three days later I am still on my period.

Because I work at a doctors surgery as a receptionist there are lots of medical books around me and best of all a book call the mims which tell doctors about what dosage they should give patients and what the side affects are to all drugs and treatments. Well i looked up the birth control my doctor gave me to me, wasnt worried about it....then i looked up the implanon.

WARNING: The implanon had no page number next to it becuase it has been discountinuted since December 2010!

I then asked a nurse at the surgery i worked at to find out more and she gave me a printed out copy of the implanon report by BBC Health. It is true that girls have gotten pregnate on the implanon and I am going straight to my doctors on monday to have this taken out and putting a new one in called the nexcaplon (something like that anyway) I am also going to ask for a full blood test with everything possible and an ultra sounds becuase the implanon is meant to steady out your periods especially since i have been on it 2 years now even my doctor was shocked when i saw him when i had been on for 7 weeks,

So i advice anyone on the implanon to go to your doctors and either get the updated version or get the coil.

Sorry for the essay I hope it helps.
I have had my period for 1yr and 2mnths straight. My gyno has tried several things I am now on the mirena Imolabt and have been for about 5mntgs now but it still hasn't stoped it. I'm so over it I don't wish this life style on anyone. I just wish they would find the cause.
I am so relieved to hear i'm not alone. i am 25 and have had  my period for over 5 weeks and its heavy sometimes and light sometimes and I get horrible stabbing period pains alot of the time.  I have implanon as my birth control.
I just turned 22 and I also just had a baby in dec and I started my period on March 10th and it has not stopped ! It was never heavy realy just spotting and sum days i don't bleed all day and I think it's over but then il wake up at night or the next day and il be bleeding !! I'm freakin out and don't k ow what to do . My obgym doctor did a pap after baby and Sao I tested positive for HPV witch is a virus that causes cancer but I never went back cuz it freaked me out . I also got a IUD (form of birthcontrol also known as marina) will sum
One please give me sum kind of knowledge b4 I go insane
Please get your thyroid tested TSH T3 and T4
I am 20 years old, and have been having very irregular periods. Well i think is a period not for sure tho i have been to the doctor several times and they don't no whats wrong with me. I'm going on my 3rd month of non stop bleeding. And i'm getting worried, They did an ultra sound and didn't see anything that looked weird or out of place. So i keep going back to hopefully get a full answer to what would be wrong with me. I get dizzy alot and when its really hot out i loose my hearing for a few seconds. Could this be life threatening? Does anyone have this same problem, that nos what could be going on with me?
I have been having my period since April 7th and still going.. I have also like many of you have had dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches and nausea. I went to the Hospital a few days back and I had some blood test done, I'm not pregnant (don’t have any kids), and I’m not anemic. I'm 30 yrs old. I have always had really bad cramps and a heavy period. Now I have next to no cramps and a normal to relatively light period, but its being going on for almost a month now. I have another appt with a GYN Dr in 2 weeks hope fully I will finally know what been going on with me. I used WebMD to search for my symptoms and what I found is that most of the problems described the person is Obese.. Well I’m 5'10 and overweight by about 30lbs. I'm not in the obese category. I have had people tell me it could be stress, which I know it’s not.. I work from home so little to no stress to me. I have even tried to take vitamins that didn’t work at all..
I'm 17 and mine are always different. They are either fairly light and last up to 3 months or REALLY heavy and last about a week. But since the 3rd of this month I've had an extremely heavy period and it will not stop! It let up and I finally thought it was done but then it got even heaver than before. It makes me extremely tired during the day and just drains me. I went to the dr's once and they never really gave me an explanaion
I'm 21 and have been married for 1yr and  2 weeks. I've started my period back in march and haven't stopped. we been trying to get pregnant since we got married and my periods but my period has always been irregular sometimes not coming for a few months, but this is the first time Ive bleed this long. i cant go to a doctor cause we don't have health insurance or money. I've also been  having blood clots as big as my fist or bigger. Its so annoying but my husband is really supportive and understanding but its depressing. we wanted to start a family right away but its taken longer and now my health (period) is in the way.
I am 32 and the proud mother of my "miracle" child who is 5 months old. I spent years in infertility clinics being experimented on and told by various doctors that there was no explanation for my painful, irregular periods, hair growth on my body and excessive body weight in spite of being active and healthy. Finally, after $20K and finding the right doctor I was diagnosed with PCOS.  It is NOT a gynecological disorder. At root is a hormone imbalance which is attributed to the genetic desensitization to insulin (a hormone) that affects insulin absorption and reproduction.  As reported on CNN Medicine last week, it has been attributed to a genetic abnormality that's passed from mother to daughter.  It is not diabetes; people with PCOS make enough insulin - their cells just don't absorb it properly. According to the MAYO Clinic, it is a HORMONAL disorder. I was born with it. I went to an ENDOCRINOLOGIST and within two months after the proper diet (Insulin Resistance Diet available on Amazon) for someone with PCOS and the appropriate medication to regulate my hormones, my beard went away, my periods were normal and I lost 32 lbs. A year later, I was pregnant, NATURALLY, without any infertility assistance. I had a healthy, perfect baby. The moral of the story: when you have a hormonal disorder, you see an expert in hormonal disorders, i.e., an endocrinologist.  Don't allow a General Practitioner or Gynecologist, and especially a "nurse' to treat you when you have a hormonal condition.  Nine times out of ten, most "nurses" now in Doctor's offices in the US are not RN's, many of whom have years of postgraduate training beyond the standard 4 years in college; they are medical assistants and there's a world of difference between the two. "Nurses", GP's and gynecologists do not have the training or expertise to assist you. It's your health and you have every right to get aggressive about it. Demand to see the proper person.
I AM 26 YEARS OLD I AM HAVE IRREGULARS PERIODS I HAVE THEM EVERY OTHER MONTH I USUALLY HAVE THEM FOR ABOUT A WHOLE MONTH I HAVE PCOS I WAS WONDERING IF BLEEDING THAT LONG IS NORMAL FOR A PERSON THAT HAS PCOS
Ive been through the same thing also.i started geting irreqular periods when i was 16,(after i had gone off depro-vera).my period from then lasted for almost a whole year.I went to seek help from a gynocologist,got a ultra sound and pelvic exam done but then i got told there was nothing wrong.another year went and i still had problems and ended up in hospital.I got diagnosed with PCOS and got given Metphormin tablets to take for 6months.since then my periods have been normal.i am now 21 and have had no prob
Wow. Its encouraging to know I am not alone.  I also realise that I am so lucky to be dealing with these issues later in my life after I have had all my children.  My heart goes out to you all.
I am a 39 years old and  I always thought heavy periods were normal as I had always had one.  Then over this last year I have haemoraged (I think thats how you spell it) three times, and ended up with periods that would go on for three 1/2 weeks and then it gives me 4- 5 day brake and start all over again. My iron levels got very low, and my overall health was compromised considerably.  After seeing my Gynaecologist over the period of the last year, she has ended up fitting me with a
'Mirena."  This has limited my bleeding to what most teenages have but I still bleed for 3 1/2 weeks.  But my health is improving.  I too cant have the pill as it makes me very very ill and therefore the next step if this Mirena hadn't worked would have been to have a hysterectomy which they really don't want to do at my age.  The cause of my problem is hormone imbalance and a larger than normal womb.

Too all those who are still struggling with things, may I encourage you to keep on asking for help, to keep on knocking on doors until you get an answer that works and keep talking with your friends about your emotions in regards to this.  Emotionally I find this the hardest, trying to keep a balance on my out look on the world when you are ridding the roller coaster of period emotions is very tricky. But take heart some where there is an answer and a possible solution to your problem.
Wow! So many women going through what I have too. I was ill last new years eve, incredible abdominal pains that only lasted about an hour, then I got my period, I didn't think much of it as I was due around about that date. The period lasted until May 28th!
   I had been to the doctors, had tests and everything and no one can find anything wrong, I had to start taking iron supplements as I was losing that much blood I became quit poorly.
   I haven't been on another period since. I have always been irregular, but not a much as this! Why can't Doctors figure out what's wrong?!
I've been having issue since I had my daughter 3 years ago! I won't have my period for 4 to 6 months then ill bleed for 2 ta 3 week be normal then next month then back to nothing for months..i had gained a lot of weight when I was pregnant and had gained wait right before with a miscarriage..my daughters would just tell ne its my weight and send me on my way..since I last seen my doctor I started eating better and working out. I've lost about 25bls but I work a lot so I don't always have time for the gym. What free time I have I wanna be home. But anyways I want ti have another child and have been trying since my.last I'm only 24...my husband is 29 what can I do to regulate so I can try to have another kid..
I'm 27 n I've been bleedin for 41 days n still countin. I've been to doctors n take birth control n still nuttin. I'm. Constantly throwin up, get dizzy, lightheaded n really weak n always gettin abdominal pains. I've. Always been irregular, I wld go 6 months without a perdiod n just 11 months ago I gave birth n ever since then I will go 2 dayxs da most witout bleedin. I dnt know wat to do anymore sumone help plz
I also have been having similar problems, I am not trying to get pregnant but I do fear I wont be able to when I do try I am an newlywed and before I got married this would happen from time to time.   I had an IUD about 4 years ago and fell into the .001% that suffers from PID.  I am now on my 3 or 4th week of bleeding it started extremly light to the point where I could get away with not even using a tampon or anything. I recently started working out about a week ago and now its extremely heavy and the clots are very large. I have not gone to the doctor though because this happens once or twice a year. I know I should go. I am terrified. I am a MA so I know better than not going and I come from a family of nurses so I do kno to go I just am too scared.
Hey guys. I've been having this same issue for 6 years going on 7 now. :) And it is grand let me tell you. I'll go max of up to 3 months bleeding. It'll be a normal flow at first then it'll slack off and just lightly trickle for the next however long it decides to stay.  And it likes to play a game with me. It'll stop for a few hours and I get excited about it, but then it starts again. I don't really have any pains or anything. I lose pigment in my skin. Meaning, I turn ghost white. My parents tell me I need sun, and my grandmother asks me if I'm sick and hands me an orange when she sees me. The sad thing is I spend most my time outside in the sun. I love laying out and being in the pool and I've spent nearly all this summer in it. I'm not naturally pale. I have a tan skin tone normally, being of Persian decent.  Haha... I've gotten so used to my period being a pain I actually gave it a name. I named it Frank. Why? Because Frank sounds like the name of tall build tan man in a white wife beater shirt who is an ***. When I'm on my period I say "Franks in town on business." And when he's here for a long time I say "Franks in town on an extended trip" My friends laugh and say "Well, maybe he missed you?" Because there are the times I'll go without a period for long periods of time.

But, every time I go to my OBGYN she say there is nothing wrong with me. And  always prescribes me birth control, with which I have the same problems as many of you do. It'll work for a few hours then my period will come back. Or as the doctor called it "break through bleeding". So... all that aside... I'm normal? I don't think that's normal at all. But, I take it as my doctor could careless as long as she's getting a pay check. She doesn't seem interested in spending time trying to figure out what's wrong. She doesn't even do anything when I go see her. She sticks her fingers in my whoo-ha, wiggles em around for a bit then she asks the normal follow up questions and that's it. When I ask about running tests she says "Oh, there's no need for that. This is normal for girls who are a bit over weight. Just stick to your birth control and it'll even it out, K?"

Well 6 yrs now I still am not regular. Birth control isn't working and my doctors are not sympathetic towards my condition.
i have a friend that has been bleeding non stop for 18 months she has been to the doctors tryed birth control tryed al the tablets but they dont even stop it for a day i am gettin worried now as she is struggling to even walk up the stairs without gettin servealy out of breathe and being lathargic she has three children the youngest is 18 months that is when it all started but she is struggling to even pick them up she has suffered from anemia since she was 13 she is now 22 so that does not help but the doctors dont seem to be doing anything so if anyone nos anything that will help i would really appriciate it if you colud let me no so i can let her no
thank you
I first got my period on my 11th birthday and it was really, really heavy, and really abnormal.  My doctor at the time prescribed all these tablets and then when I was 14 he prescribed this "trial" tablet that worked wonders.  I was then only bleeding at the most 5 days on a regular monthly cycle.
When I was nearly 22 I gave birth to my daughter (unplanned, but definitely wanted).  After she was born WHAM all my period issues were back tenfold!!
I have the whole no period for 6 months....heavy period for however long my body wants to go on for.
I am now 31 and have been seeing a gynocologist who has prescribed me with polycystic ovarian symdrome.  I am obese.. but am slowly losing my weight thanks to my lovely nutritionist.  But I hae now found that I have had my period for a month now & instead of it getting lighter its getting heavier.
I am having clots the size of a cups rim falling out of me sometimes.  I can't wear pants at all.  I have gone through 15 boxes of tampons and 3 packets of night-pads this month.  At night I wear 2 pads and a tampon & have to wear a towel between my legs and I still leak.
I want to get pregnant again but at the moment I can't even go there!!
The unfortunate thing is my doctor has since retired, noone can read his notes and noone knows what the "trial" pill was.
I have a docs appointment on Monday so lets hope he can help me.
For several years now my period cycle has been off.  Since about 2008 I started missing months at a time and I would think it was stress. About Feb 2010 I started to have my period for over a month and then stop for a couple of weeks and they start all over again. Around this time I started to lose hair. I have asked my dr to test my hormone levels because I think they are too high but he refuses and put me on provera pills (take one at the beginning of each month). I didnt take any meds this past month because I didnt have the money to pay for it and now I have been bleeding for over 2 weeks. I am so scared that I could be sick and since the dr didnt want to do any test in the past I feel like it could have gotten worse. I just dont know what to do any more.
ive had my period non stop since jan 12 2011 it all started after i had my daughter. ive never had a regular period but this is a long time to have it and i pass out and get dizzy but my doctor told me its normal.
I thought I would share my story as well.  This is the first website that I've found that talks about the same problem I have.  Its encouraging and depressing at the same time.

Anyway, I have had irregular periods my entire life. It has always been a struggle for me. My husband and I wanted to have a baby so I went on the herb called Vitex. I was on it for a while and it regulated my periods. It was amazing. I got pregnant while on the herb. (you must stop taking it as soon as you find our your pregnant.)  I had a healthy baby boy and then my periods were a little weird, but finally straightened up after going back on Vitex after I was finished breastfeeding.  I was 'normal' for about 3 months. We decided to try for another baby in march 2011. It seemed like as soon as we started trying, my periods quit.  I went from march to july with no period. It finally started July 18th. It hasnt quit. I've been bleeding this whole time. And bleed A LOT with very large clots.  Its awful. I have never gone for this long before. I am taking iron because I have been getting dizzy and lightheaded and extremely tired. I have had all kinds of tests and ultrasounds and they cant find anything wrong.  I just want this bleeding to stop. Its very frustrating.  In a way I am glad Im not alone in this. I dont know anyone else with problems like mine, so its a relief in a way to see others like me. It saddens me to see so many girls suffering with this though. I wish there was a solution other than birth control. Im still taking vitex and hoping it helps me soon.
Thank you all for posting your stories. I no longer feel like a freak. I have been on my period for going on 4 months right now. It will be heavy sometimes then get really light and even go away for a few hours. Just when I think it's over guess what! It comes back with a vengeance! I am overweight and I know that can effect your periods. It seems I never stop bleeding!!! I don't think women should be on their periods for 7-8 months out of the year.

I have been to the doctor several times in the past few years. I had my daughter 3 years ago and this had started happening almost 6 years before I became pregnant with her. When I did finally get pregnant I had lost 130 pounds. Even then I had the same problems!! My doctor keeps telling me it is because of my weight and refuses to do any tests or do anything at all to try to help me. He keeps telling me I need to lose weight.

How the hell do I lose weight to prove to him that is not the problem. I am so exhausted all the time from the blood loss. I get dizzy after a while of doing anything. I really hate this! I just want to stop freaking bleeding all the time!!! I have iron supplements I take that seem to help a little but not really enough. I don't have much pain cramp wise. I do get headaches all the time though. That is kind of normal for me I have got headaches and migraines since I was 13. I am 25 now and just fed up with doctors and not wanting to help people who are having actual problems!!!
I feel a little bit better seeing I am not alone in this.
I lost my husband June 2010 and got my period that night.  It was normal.
Then I didn't have it again for 3 months.  I knew it was from the stress.
Then I lost my dad back in May and didn't get my period until August and it hasn't stopped yet.  I was having hot flashes at first when I didn't get my period.
I figured it was early menopause.  Then the hot flashes stopped about a month before I got my period again... So here I am day 14 into having my period.  

It's not heavy, but there have been a few large clots and lots of small ones.

I
you might have something called hyperplasia... i had it on my uterine lining.  most of the time it's not anything major, but it IS considered a precanerous condition in some women... you should get that checked out ASAP.  
My period came on august 24 2011 and im stil bleeding.i notice after I had my second child I cramp more and I bleed heavy.it also hurts wen da fluid is coming out(lik when I stand up)i also pass out blood cloths and they dont look normal to me.right now im on my way to the emergency room.my mom recently had to have her uterus remove im just praying I dont have to have surgery done
I was reading the post, i have the same problem, i have irregular periods. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and i had my period for 6 months straight. then it was gone for about 3 months and now i get it every month but its for almost 3 weeks. Sometimes i have alot of pain because the cysts pop. Some of you might want to get checked for the pcos. Im going to the doctor though to see if there is anyway to regulate my period because having it for 3 weeks every month is unbearable, and sometimes i bleed very very heavy... I dont know if this helps or not. But i hope you all are able to find out whats wrong.
I am 18 years old and its nice to know you not alone in this n there are people having similar things as me. In june i didnt have a period. in july i had sex then i was spotting n it was very light like a fresh cut. n august comes on the 22 im bleeding then i stop for one day n that same day i had sex and i start bleeding again and it came heavy and i continued bleeding then sept 4 comes and stop then had sex and now im still bledding idk wats wrong with me someone plz help. o and one more thing i gained weight and been feeling really tired and have this unusual headaches and i get hot chills n not chills its really strange i hope someone can help me..
Nixy, same thing is happening to me. Its so weird. I missed a period so I thought maybe I was pregnant. I took a test and it came up negative. I was so relieved then like a week later I started bleeding sooo hevily for about 5 days or so. The bleeding slowed down to the point where I could have sex with no blood or mess, but that only lasted about 2 days then my period came back in full swing for another 5 or so days. Then it slowed down all over again. & Now its back.. 2 days later. I'm pretty freaked out. I was thinking it was a miscarriage but I don't think it is now. At this point it seems like Im bleeding from implantation.. but I dont think thats possible. Im going to the gyno tomorrow, I'll let everyone know whats going on once I find out.
Wow Thank God I am not the only one... I have had my period for 3 months now... I do suffer from irregular period.. there are time that I don't get for months and then when I do its for a long period of time.... I been to the doctor.. They as well can't figure out what is wrong... I been to 6 different doctors and out of the 6 only 2 have told me it cause of my weight ( i know i have to loose weight) but i been having problems before i got my period when I was 12.... I remember getting very bad craps that I could not move at all... I was in the hospital for what 4 days and still i don't know why i was in the hospital.... I am 32 with no kids hoping that i will have at least one kid soon... Its sad that no one can tell us what is going on and at first i felt lonely but now i see i am not alone... if anyone knows of a good doc in nyc please let me know..and also let me know how is everyone else is doing.....
it just baffles me how uncaring doctors are!  These are some clearly dangerous and scary symptoms and all the doctors want to do is throw some birth control at you and tell you nothing's wrong!   I'm glad I read this and know I'm not alone...  I'm 49,  started having periods every 2 weeks, last year...  regular periods before that...but always 2 days that were ultra heavy, couldn't leave the house they were so bad...   this time.. I was a week late...now I've been bleeding for nearly 2 weeks..   lots of big clots, contraction-like pains, and feeling weak and miserable!  I don't have health care and don't qualify for any free programs so a doctor visit is out...(and from what I've read on here,  they wouldn't provide any real answers anyhow...) Someone should do a study on this problem since so many women have it.
well just as it is said on here in just about every comment posted its nice to know that im not alone in my "sypmtoms". I have had irregular periods for quite some time... about 3 yrs.

I had very normal periods, you could set your watch by them, from my first one at 11yrs old until i got prego at 19. When I say normal i mean they came on time every month and lasted 5-7 days, the pain however was anything but normal, excrutiating, curled up in a ball, nausiating, couldnt go to school, pain. I've always had a high pain tolerance, i went through 20 hours of hard labor with my daughter and nothing for the pain,but this pain killed me. So when i got my period my mom gave me tylenol pm at night to help me sleep, otherwise i stayed up all night crying, and it helped, but only at night. And they were heavy, I remember how embarassed I was when I had to go to school and had to carry around those giant pads because I couldnt use a regular panty liner.
And as i got older i got used to the pain and the bleeding assuming that it was a normal thing, all my friends compained about theirs so i didnt give it anymore thought.
After my daughter was born, I was 20 yrs old, and my period came back, 5 days long with only 2 days of aweful pain, even less bleeding. I thought, this is great!! Then around the time my daughter was 2 1/2 yrs old, I went through a divorce, and then the pain came back with such amazing vengence, I was bed-ridden for days at a time. I did nothing but suffer through assuming it due was due to my current state of depression and stress, not to mention after the divorce i gained more then 50 lbs and was over weight to begin with. And then the irregular periods started, but nothing too noticible, maybe a day or two early and sometime 3 or 4 days late but rarely on time. In June of 2010, I missed my period, took 3 pregnancy tests which came up negative, july came and nothing, august and still nothing. So, I made a dr appt they saw me in september and guess what came the day before my appt, my period.
I told the dr the same story i have here he ordered some blood work done and a few more tests and i had been on an almost diet for a month or so and was losing weight at a rate that pleased him, but like all the other dr.s he said my irregularity could be due to my weight and that i should continue doing my diet and hopefully everything will set itself right. HA.
All the tests came back, i got a letter saying that everything was NORMAL (bull), but I have iron deficient anemia, which I already knew i was diagnosed with that when i was pregnant. September i had a period ,  then another in november, then another in january and then nothing until march. since then i have spotted almost everyday with only about a week of no spotting but always after the spotting stops i get a heavy flow for a few days and then back to spotting. There were no cramps with all the spotting until a few days ago i made another doctors appt but cant get in til october im demanding tests and sufficient results my dr is good, he usually listens to what i am concerned with and tries to get the results for whats wrong and ease my worries.
I hope its nothing too serious.
Am on my 7th week of bleeding and at the moment am loosing BIG clots I have low thyroid which isn't in control drs says that cud b my problem its driving me mad. :-( x
This is CRAZY we r ALL bleeding like this and NO dr knws or in some cases even cares. WHAT THE HELL is wrong wiv us? The sad thing is its jst the same thing everyday now bleedings bad it slows off I think YAY ill finish 2day then its heavy again I dnt have any pain or anything jst bleeding I still have 2 live my life go 2 work. I jst hope 1 of us gets an answer so then we all cn b FREE. Thinking of u all glad am nt alone nw thts 1 gud thing xx
On my 3rd week of bleeding after 4 months without a period, one month and normal period after I quit my pills. At the beginning of these 3 weeks it was light, and every other day it would stop. But a week ago it got really heavy and hasn't let up since. At first I thought I was pregnant when I missed my period (because I had quit my pills), but I took 4 at home tests and then a blood test at the doctor's and ruled it out, and was told that there "seems to be nothing wrong". That was only after the first 2 months without it, it lasted 2 more months. I Was diagnosed with PCOS 9 years ago. Last September I had the same problem, but it was only 2 months w/o a period and then 6 weeks with it. I went to the doctor (the same one who told me I have PCOS) and all she did was throw a new brand of BC at me. I've been on the pill since I was 13 and I can't have a normal period without them. I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life on these pills. Not matter what brand it is, they all make me feel crappy. Every doctor I see just tells me to keep taking the pills. After 9 years, don't you think they should have looked at my record and realized that there MUST be something else wrong? I've gotten 11 ultra-sounds since my diagnosis, the last one being in Feb just as a check up for the PCOS and there is nothing wrong with me. I don't even have cysts! I've only had one in my entire life and it was really small and disolved on its own when I took Metformin 5 years ago. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do about it anymore, doctors won't help :-(

I am 23 years old, I am getting periods since last 2 months in every 20 days. What may be the reason for this??? Is it normal..and it is flowing much it is very light...
Sorry, I mean there is not much flow.. It is very light
for two months youve gotten a light period every 20 days, correct? Does it last the "normal" 5-7 days or is it shorter , longer, because it sounds normal. Every 6-8 weeks the body will "reset" itself and this could be the cause. If your just having a light 5-7 day period I wouldnt be too concrned it doesnt sound very alarming. if that is the case. But i would watch it carefully I had a similar issue and then had an extremely heavy flow for 21 days in a row it sent me to the emergency room where they told me i had MENORAGIA its a condition where you have VERY VERY painful and heavy periods that can last longer than the norm for a woman. This is something i forgot to put in my last post. They say no treatment is needed and they can give me pills for the pain if i would like, really more pills i dont want to be medicated.
on my 17th day of bleeding... some days light...some days heavy with large clots.... i'm going through super plus tampons like they're nothing....   I've never taken birth control..(and I can't because of health issues in my family history), I'm 49.. can't afford health insurance and don't qualify for free health care....   I've gotta go through menopause sometime...  I just want this to be over...  
I'm 48 yrs old and I'm going through the same thing. Its now 16 days of bleeding. I'm sure it has something to do with the change. Its happened once before and I bled for 35 days and then my cycles were back to normal. I wish men would be the ones to get periods.Lol
Do you have a clinic in your area, where they determine you income on how much you pay for medical services? Also who said you can't qualify for free health care? I also can't afford health care and was able to get qualified at the free clinic.Maybe the Dr's office will let you make payments instead.Explain your situation and see if payments can be made. But I'm sure what some of us older women are experiencing is the change. I'm not quite sure why some of the younger women are experiencing what we are.But who knows, I just hope it stops soon. lol
I don't know whether to feel releaved or more upset. I've had a period that has lasted just over 2 years. Most of the time it's really heavy with lots of blood clots. I have pain and cramping probably 3 days out of 5. I'm always exhausted and have horrible headaches and dizzy spells. I'm on an iron supplement for the anemia. We've tried hormones, birth control pills, DNCs. I've had loads of blood work done, Ultrasounds. They haven't found anything and nothing has ever made it stop or slow down. I'm 32 and have always had heavy/irregular periods but they never lasted more than 7-10 days until this one and it's been non-stop for 26 months.
i have always had regular periods no pains just lastin 4 3-5 dais buh dis ones diff bin on my period 4 close to 13 dais wen i wen 2 d doctor he said they was no problem he gave me vitamin e tablets, some antibiotics and anoda drug he said d drugs will help 2 stop the bleedin for like 8 dais and after my period will be regular again... am just on my 2 day of takin d pills am hoping it regulates and i know it will in Jesus name...Amen
Im about to loose my mind! ive been bleeding since february so its been 8 months! i cant take it anymore! ive lost my fiance because of it! can anyone help us please!
I have been on my period for 7 weeks now. I'm 25, and overweight, but I have never had a period last this long. I do have a history of irregular periods, by that I mean, I will go for months on end without having one, but when it would happen it was the typical week long period... nothing to write home about, but as of the end of July I have been on it. From heavy days to light, to almost none existant spotting. I have been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome) in the past, but it cleared up after being on Metphromine for a month. Which was found out through ultrasound, and cleared by a specialist. I am seeing a doctor about this new development today... so we'll see how that goes
I applied for MediCal and was denied due to my income and the fact that I own my own home... but I can't afford mainstream health care...    there is a large segment of society just like me out there.. lower middle class who fall between the cracks..      
im 18 years old and iv been on my period now for about 6 weeks! When i come on in aug and i was gettin massive blood clots, horrible stomache cramps, all through these 6 weeks iv had horrible cramps and blood clots mostly in the morning when i wake up and the past week or so when im lying in bed i suddenly get a horrible headache and go very dizzy? Just lying in bed? Im always tired, emotional over everything i mean crying at nothing? All the time, iv been to the doctors who done a internal exam and she said my cervix was closed so its unlikely to be a miscarriage? I went for blood tests and going back for the results in a few days i hope its nothing serious, does anyone else know what it could be? Its worrying me alot. Thanks. Charlie
The dizzyness and the fatigue is most likely due to the loss of blood. The mood swings could be due to some hormone imbalance, I am by no means a medical professional but I have a lil experience with the same issue. I myself FINALLY stopped bleeding monday(knock on wood) after almost 3 months on my period. Hopefully there isnt anything major wrong.