Period or not following IUD removal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Period or not following IUD removal?

I am greatly appreciative to anyone who can help me.  My new OB's nurse has not been too helpful...

I had my last normal period on 7/10.  I had a mirena IUD removed on 7/26.  On 7/27 or 7/28 I had some "period-like" bleeding begin for a few days.  I took this to be a normal period that for some reason came right after the IUD was removed.

On 8/5 my husband and I had unprotected sex accidently.  We plan to TTC, but planned to wait a month or two. It is now 12 days later, and I've taken several negative pregnancy tests.  I know it's a little early to test, but I've been feeling like I either have PMS or could be pg.  

My question is:  Is the bleeding after the removal of the IUD to be considered a period?  Or does the IUD removal throw everything off, and I should still be waiting for the first cycle?   Thank you for your help... I've been trying to determine whether or not the dates would make it likley I could be pg., but can't figure out what should be counted as my lmp date.  

Also, is it likely that you can get pg right after IUD removal?  I thought the lining needed a cycle to "thicken up" again?

Thanks!
How long was the bleeding?  i had my iud removed on the 10th and had a period like bleeding.  That was not supposed to be considered a period, but i had the copper IUD.  I dont know if the hormones being gone would cause you to get AF early, but you are supposed to have some bleeding after removal.  Thats what my doctor told me.  Hope that helps.
I had some spotting after I had mine removed and then right when I was supposed to, I had my period a few weeks later. It was heavier than the few I had while the mirena was in place, but nothing unbearable. I got pg that next cycle, but it ended in a chemical pg. But good news is the very next cycle, I got pg and am now hitting the 30 week mark.

Generally, the test will be effective if you wait and test 14 days after the unprotected encounter, assuming there was just the one. If you have a neg result then, you most likely are not pg.

Please don't take what happened to me as the gospel. Always consult your doctor if you have any concerns. If your period still doesn't show up and the tests still say negative, you shoudl probably get in and discuss it with your doctor.

Andi
i had my iud taken out 4 days ago and that night my husband and i had sex now im bleeding alot like a period is it that time of the month or did we hurt something.
I had my mirena IUD taken out 3 days ago the Dr warned me that I might have some bleeding the first few days, because they disturb the uterus when taking it out. I had sex with my husband the first day too and have not had any bleeding, but everyone is different ask your Dr if you are not sure it is normal.
I had 4 days of bleeding post mirena removal when my periods were not due, then some mild spotting for 2 days approx 10 days later. Both were not expected because it was not that time of my cycle. I still had very light but regular periods whilst using mirena. My period is now due tomorrow or the next so cross fingers it does not come because we are hoping for another baby.
hi all,
i had my IUD inserted 2 yrs ago(2008), i just got it out June 21,2010. i had sex that day the 21,23,25,and 26. I was wondering ..
1. when should be period come?
2. How soon can i find out if I'm pregnant?
PLEASE HELP..THANKS
Just an update. I actually concieved 30 days after mirena removal. Never did get that period. Conception date was based on ultrasound. Due around Christmas.
I had my mirena removed but before it was removed I had unprotected sex 3 days before the removal. The next day after removal i  had bleedin the next day and for almost 2 weeks I been spotting off and on. Should that be considered my period? Also 2 days after the last spotting and clotting   I had unprotected sex I now have a littl white discharge can I be pregnant?
can IUD  be removed while u r on ur period?