Persistent bumps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Persistent bumps

When i was younger, I tried to shave my vagina but went about it the wrong way because of a lack of research on my part. This resulted in ingrown hairs which got progressively worse over the years because of how I thought picking at them and trying to pop them would help. And though after that I stopped shaving, they have remained with me and are still there. Now, at 17, I've begun to shave again but they're still there. They're hideous and disgusting, and I cannot find a way to get rid of them. I do think that because of my improper care when I was younger, they've sort-of evolved into another problem. They're bumpy and hard and are tinted quite dark. Up until this point I haven't told my mother about my issue due to being scared of embarrassment (dumb, I know) but now I realize that this is something that I have to go to the doctor for.

I was going to discuss it with my mother soon and ask her to take me to the doctor, unless there's something that I can do myself in order to fix it, though I figure that's a long shot.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know A.S.A.P. I just really want this problem handled and taken care of so I can move on with my life and not be so insecure.

Thanks in advance!