Please Read. Sensitive Clitoris and Swollen Labia
My symptoms started with what looked and felt like a yeast infection under only the hood of the clitoris, once that cleared up I was still experiencing extreme sensitivity on the clitoris and/or the inner labia. My inner labia are swollen to some degree every day; sometimes sensitivity comes with this, sometimes not. When I say sensitivity I mean that every little hair, underwear or anything that touches my inner labia or clitoris is an irritant!! I can't wear underwear and I can only wear loose fitting clothing or the symptoms get worse. I've been dealing with this for 8 months now. I’ve been on a yeast-free and sugar-free diet for 4 months (this diet seems to help- even though I keep testing negative for yeast. Besides loosing 10 pounds- this diet has been AWFUL!!)

I used to feel a rawness under the clitoris hood and between the inner labia a lot, but I haven't felt this as much sense I’ve been going to the acupuncturist. It's very rare that I feel any  itchiness. My acupuncturist and the specialist seem to think these symptoms are a result from having bladder infections in the past (I have a sensitive bladder), DOES ANYONE THAT HAS A SENSITIVE BLADDER, or have had many bladder infections in the past, and HAVE SIMILAR symptoms as me?

I've seen 2 doctors and 1 specialist, none have really told me anything and ALL tests always come back negative (I was tested for herpes as well.)  I've taken Monistat, flagyl, cortizone (steroid) pills and cream and nothing has worked. The specialist has put me on a neurotransmitter medicine because she thinks the nerve endings in my vulva are misfiring, which sounds far fetched to me but at this point I'll try anything!

Is anyone else having similar issues??

Oops, the last point was supposed to be a little further up. Before the extreme itch of my clitorus.

Also, has anyone tried putting vaseline on there dry, tearable inner labia's? I think that may help restore some moisture.
Hello. I read your posts. You gave us a lot of information, thank you. First of all, you had problems with bladder infections, correct? You've had to take antibotics many times for that problem? It is possible that you have a lingering bacteria infection? Maybe you need to take a different course of antibotic for a few months? Some of your symptoms could be related to polycystic ovary syndrome and the effects of a hormone imbalance. You should be checked for yeast and BV regularly, even if you don't appear to have any symptoms. You may be having these problems mildly due to the hormone imbalance or  a bladder infection or both. The hemorrhoids need to be looked at, but they should be fine. It means you are not getting enough fiber in your diet. There is one thing that really concerns me about your story and that is the shower head. I used a shower head to masterbate. What happened was I almost died from a very serious kidney and bladder infection a few days later. I am not kidding. The shower water is water and full of bad bacteria and it only takes a few drops of that water to shoot up your uretha (pee hole), and get you sick. It seemed like such a good idea to me at the time, I had no idea it would make me so sick. Could this be a reason for the on-going infections or for a resistant infection that you haven't been able to get clear up easily?
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my symptoms.

I haven't actually had any bladder infections since last August, but, I do know how bacteria can linger and only sometimes be symptomatic.
What is BV?
I've used a shower head to masterbate for years and years, and onetime I am positive it was the direct cause of a bladder infection. I am currently trying to ween myself off of it, but it's hard, but I know it needs to be done. Not only for my health, but also because it wastes so much water.

I've used the shower head much less since I've had troubles with my labia, but still have sex with my partner fairly frequently.

Thanks again,
Burning69
I loved the shower head and tubs and all that until I got a fever of 105. I actually passed out on the way to the hospital. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life. The doctors said I could have died. I really felt like I might. It's the kidney infection that was so dangerous. BV is an infection, but not from bad bacteria. It is when your own chemisty, your own natural bacteria is not balanced. It means one of the bacteria that are normally present on people has over grown and caused your PH balance to be off. This can happend if you are with a new partner because you are not use to their chemistry, a partner who has been with another partner because you would then be exposed to that chemisty even if your partner washed himself this chemisty would linger on them but not cause them any problems it is only a female problem, you have health problems like the polycystic ovary syndrome, or you are introducing bacteria to the area in some way. Even touching yourself without washing your hands first could cause this to happen. I would do the soap test. Soap up in the shower and see how foamy the soap becomes. If it's really foaming a ton and possibly has a bad smell, that means the soap is reacting to your PH balance and that would be a sign that your PH balance is off.  Your doctor has a special medication to treat this type of infection. I recommend you get one of those bullet shaped vibrators. I am telling you, the shower will be nothing compared to this and it won't make you sick, but you should always wash it down with rubbing alcohol everytime you are done with it. Anyways the bullet is awesome and much more powerful. You'll be done in a few minutes and save tons of water!!! You'll never even think about the shower again. I hope I've been able to help. I wonder how many of us woman have had these problems? I've never had an opportunity to tell anyone about this happening to me before.
I just wanted to explain it is bad bacteria that cause kidney and bladder infections. It was bad bacteria that almost killed me. BV can also cause a type of bladder infection, but it's not the same as the infections from bad bacteria so the tests they use to detect bad bacteria would not pick it up. In order to tell if you have a BV infection a specific test for BV must be done. BV usually won't cause a person any problems. A lot of woman walk around with BV without even knowing it...but who wants to have a fishier smelling crotch then they reallly need to? It can be hard for us to tell a difference when we naturally have a sort of fishy smell about us...but with BV that fishy smell will be worse particularly after sex...and who wants that?
Part 1 to Sansa544:

Nope you're not alone, and I KNOW HOW THAT FEELS- it's awful- that's why I started this forum- you can't imagine what a relief it was to see posts on here for the first time- funny how other people's "posts" can make one feel better.

Ok, 1st- GO SEE A DOCTOR- NO EXCUSES!!! I don't care about the time or money- DO IT!!!!!!! Now, like the majority of us your OBGYN will probably look at you stupid and tell you it's something it's not, BUT YOU NEED TO GO GET CHECKED OUT!! There are certain STD's or diseases that will cause more damage if they're left untreated (and if it CAN be treated then you GREAT.)

We're all a little scare, frustrated, and down right pissed we have these symptoms- and it's not fun going to the doctor- BUT YOU NEED GO. Please. The more of us that go- the more of a chance WE all have of doctors being able to help us.

As for your symptoms- putting a hole in your panty hose is a good idea in my opinion- for me the more air the better. However, you said putting "lube" has helped make things more comfortable- at first it did for me too but my flares were more frequent when I was using any form of lubrication (KY or Neosporin). Now that I leave it ALONE and wipe myself down everyonce in awhile with an unfrangrenced baby wipe things are much better- but that may just be my body.  

And as for you diet- have you kind of changed your diet- have only changed it for a month? Try changing your diet LONG-TERM to the suggestions I wrote in a few posts above and see what happens. I don't know where you live so you may not have easy access to a natural food store or you may not have the money (I don't-ha, but I make it work.) However, there are things you can get at the regular old Vons, Safeway, Ralphs, Giant, Food Lion, or whatever grocery store you have.

OH IMPORTANT, stay hydrated, get 8 hours of sleep, AND DON'T HOLD YOUR BLADDER- go when you have to go, it's easier on the nerves in your clitoris. This stuff works for me- hopefully it helps you too.

PART 2 TO BURNING69-

First off, love your name and your sense of humor!!! I think it’s good to keep a sense of humor during what your going through- if I didn’t laugh myself, I would cry- so I try to stay light hearted.

Anyways, no I do not put Vaseline on my labia- mine are not dry- I actually have the opposite of a problem. When I have flares I generally have more discharge which irritates me so I have to make sure to keep it dry down there. Usually, the more air your labia/clitoris/vagina gets the better- it should be kept cool and dry. Bacteria and yeast thrive in moist, hot places.

However, it’s not good if you feel yours is EXTRA dry, like about to crack. I don’t experience that so I don’t want to comment on it. However, I would suggest to only where cotton underwear- or better yet- no underwear at all.

As for the masturbation thing, I was never a showerhead girl myself- yes I know- unusual it seems, ha, but I would probably steer clear of the showerhead for now (maybe treat yourself every ONCE in awhile- taking away what you love is never a good thing.)  ; )

Also, have you tried going on a yeast free, sugar free diet (you don’t have to be SUPER strict but TRY to stick to it day, 75% of the time.)  This needs to be a LONG TERM  diet, not something you do for a week or month, but forever until you (WE) get some answers. I CAN HONESTLY SAY I FEEL BETTER WHEN I STICK TO THIS DIET, GET SLEEP, STAY HYDRATED, LEAVE MY CLITORIS AND LABIA ALONE UNLESS I’M HAVING SEX OR MASTERBATING (which I limit), AND DON’T WEAR UNDERWEAR.

“If doctors won’t help, then I’ll help myself!” Quote of my day!

The white lumps, since I recently just had one appear I’ve researched them (I just checked a bit ago and it’s gone- just a tiny, tiny white spot- no lump.) I’ve read that they can be ingrown hairs or tiny vaginal cyst (which are basically like a zit). I left mine alone- I put an “off limits sign up” and it worked…..for now. Will they be back, I don’t know. I’ll bring it up with my doctor next time I see her. I did get the white bump after having sex, no sex- no touch- bye bye bump.

The anal conversation: I’ve gotten a lump back there once too. When the doc put me on some neuron medicine stuff to try to “reset” my nerves (the side effects weren’t worth it so I stopped the meds) but I became VERY constipated for the first time in my life- and a bump back there appeared and some blood on the tissue (like you mentioned.) Once I stopped the medication this all went away for me.

QUESTION: Are you constipated or are you normally? If you are seeing you blood definitely call or see your doctor- that’s NOT a good sign.

Hope I helped. Please keep your sense of humor!    

Best of luck.

PC26
SORRY for all those typos above! I only had so much time to type- hope it all makes sense.

p.s. TO EVERYONE: Once I'm finished creating my chart of my past medical history, lifestyle and current symptoms- I'm thinking of creating a website that would allow everyone to fill out and submit their own chart (the chart would be a template but it would also allow someone to insert additional info as well). This way doctors can see there's more then one woman going through this- and we can connect similarities or differences much easier then skimming through posts.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO ANYONE? And does anyone have any suggestions?
I am currently dealing with the same problem, my inner labia is swollen. Except I am 26, and this year was the 1st time I ever had a yeast infection/BV.  Ever since then, I have had irritation to the point I rub myself to sleep.  I am always dry down there and and keep neosporin on it at night just for some type of I have BV, and it will not go away.
HI Beautiful problem,

I too recently had my real first yeast infections!? What the f? The dryness is hell, I use vaseline sometimes in lieu of Vagisil or Cortasone (i know I spelt that wrong).
I've had similar problems too

baldder/kidney infections
a short term bowel problem at one point that went away.

and now this week I thought i was getting a yeast infection
and to my surprise i now have sore swollen labia's (yeah, both sides)

Does anyone think its maybe a reaction to the pads we are using.
I was wondering that since i've had on and off spotting for the last three weeks
due to getting off depo provera (stopped using it almost 4 months ago)

I was also wondering how everyone else is doing?
It's been almost a month since the last post.

hows everyones lame vaginas?
Hi there-

It could be a reaction to the pads your using but I think my problem is more severe than that. I use to use pads but haven't for a year now. I hate tampons but I have to use them now or there's just too much irritation. I don't use anything at night, just a towel to protect my sheets- whatever I can do to NOT irritate down there- I do.

As for my health- I've still been sticking to the yeast free/sugar free diet and I feel much better (along with the other stuff I've listed above). I still eat my Dreyer's frozen yogurt and pasta every once in a while (and I can't deny drinking alcohol from time to time) but I really regulate it and I'm doing good. I become swollen sometimes but not too sensitive. I haven't been to the doctor in a while because even with insurance it gets expensive and honestly, it's been nice to have a break from them. THOUGH ANYONE WHO HASN'T BEEN TO A DOCTOR- GO!!

That's all for me.

-PC26

Wow, finally a site that is exacatly what I'm going through!! I'm 34, married,13 yrs. same guy, one child, have thyroid disease, fibromyalgia and to top it off an itchy flower! My grandmother always called it a flower so..here I am with an EXTREMLY itchy flower. Mine started last June 07'. I've had ultrasounds/biopsy's/blood tests..etc..been to the OBGYN/ family Dr and dermatologists that have all given me different types of creams and pills (you guys mentioned above already) and just this week the Dr. put me on Diflucan for 7 days to see if that helps. She suggested that my next step be the infectious disease specialist...which of course makes me seem like I'm a lepper!
and just in case I Forgot to mention,  I don't sleep around..and my  husband would be too scarred to cheat on me....Gotta love older brothers and uncles that carry guns for a living! ☺
I did get a lot of great advice and I am going to look up many of the disorders mentioned above! Sorry you are all going through this, but you have to admit, it does make me feel better that were not alone!
I just wish our Dr's could find a cure!!
Thanks so much!

YES PADS AND TAMPONS ARE THE DEVIL and are extremely disruptive of the natural ecosystem that your vagina has created. Let me tell you...

Pads and tampons contain bleaches (to whiten cotton from it's natural colour), scents (to mask your supposed stinky vag. You are not stinky... and if you are, you have an infection and should not mask the symptoms with vag deodorizers... they make the problem much much much much worse. Treat your foul-smelling discharge appropriately, go to the doctor!) and are overall extremely damaging for the environment.

I've not boughten a box of tampons or pads since I was 17. I am now 22.

I first realized that I didn't like a cotton wad sitting in my vag for hours and decided to switch to pads. But pads are smelly and the plastic covering made me itchy. I started making my own pads. My DIY pads are simply: a flannel covering, two layers of terry cloth, and a thicker cotton or denim bottom layer to absorb any possible leaks. I used a pad as a pattern. These pads did not make me itch, I've reused them hundreds of time, they're cheap, and it makes me feel good to take control of my own menstrual care. If you're not into sewing you can buy a similar product over the internet such as "Lunar Pads".  Here is something I've copy and pasted from a site:
----------
Why use cloth menstrual pads?

After all, you are used to using disposable menstrual pads - you like their convenience - so why change?

There are many reasons to change to using cloth menstrual pads. Some of them include:

Improve your health by reducing your exposure to harmful chemicals. Disposable pads contain a myriad of chemicals and additives which serve to increase their absorbancy and keep them looking white and bright but these chemicals don't do you any good at all.

Your genital tissue is highly sensitive, and these chemicals are easily absorbed into your body, causing irritation and discomfort in the process. We already live in increasingly polluted environments, so it makes sense to reduce your exposure to chemicals in any way you can.

Increased comfort - Because Pleasure PussT cloth menstrual pads are made from natural cotton fabrics, they are cool and comfortable to wear. Unlike plastic used in disposable pads, cotton allows your skin to breathe, reducing the likelihood of fungal infections.

Natural cotton is also unlikely to cause any irritation to your sensitive skin. And lets face it - that part of your body is one of the most sensitive parts of your whole person - so be nice to it.

In addition, Pleasure Puss Cloth Menstrual Pads don't have any sticky bits on them to get stuck to your skin, your pubic hair or your underwear - No ouch here.

Convenience - By using cloth menstrual pads you always have fresh, clean pads on hand when you need them - meaning there are no more last minute dashes to the shop.

Pleasure Puss Cloth pads work just as well as disposables - Cloth Pads have come a long way from the days of sticking rags in your underwear. Pleasure Puss Pads are a one piece design - just like disposables. They are superslim just like disposables. They are absorbent just like disposables and Pleasure Puss have a leakproof layer running the length and breadth of the pad saving your clothes - helping you feel confident that your pad will not let you down.

You'll get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that at least in one small way you are not contributing more rubbish to our already overloaded world. The statistics on how many tampons and sanitary pads that are added to landfill each year are frightening. In most cases they don't break down, nor are they recycled. By using cloth pads, you can help reverse this trend and leave the world a better place.

You will feel more in touch with your body - it is amazing what effect the process of no longer throwing your blood in the garbage has on your relationship to your body and your periods. Many women have reported on how using cloth pads has changed their attitude to themselves - positively.

You will save money - Investing in good quality cloth pads will cost you only a small percentage of what disposables are costing you now.

(http://www.menstruation.com.au/menstrualproducts/whyuse.html)

----------
Okay this message is in two parts because apparently I've exceeded the 8000 character limit.

Continued...

If you have vulvar skin conditions it is a MUST that you switch to cotton pads. People like us, with very sensitive skin, have a horrific time during our periods if we are sticking to ******, damaging, sdjbg;dfngdpghnk;jdnfsfbgk;dflmg (**** pads and tampons **** me off) "feminine hygiene products".

Okay, so now I don't only use pads. I also use something called the DivaCup, it is wonderful and someday, when women smarten up and quite buying into the abject ideas of corporate menstrual products, it will take over the menstrual world. I love the DivaCup and I will let it speak for itself. Here are a few things I've taken off their website. Read more than I'm willing to post here at www.divacup.com. The DivaCup is available for $40 at any London Drugs and will last you up to 10 years. Can you imagine only spending $40 on period products in a decade? Any way, here is some awesome info from www.divacup.com:

The DivaCup to the rescue!!!

The DivaCup is a non-absorbent menstrual cup that simply collects menstrual flow. It is inserted in the vagina and sits at the lower base of the vaginal canal. It is worn internally, yet because it is soft and smooth, it cannot be felt nor will it leak when inserted properly.

The DivaCup is the most clean and convenient method of feminine hygiene protection. No need to touch the flow. It is worn low in the vagina, not near the cervix, so it is easy to remove. No mess!

The DivaCup ends hassles with unreliable disposables in endless absorbencies, shapes and styles. It is perfect for all activities – giving women true freedom without the worry, guessing and unreliability that disposable feminine hygiene products pose.

The DivaCup can be worn for up to 12 hours before emptying, washing and reinserting for use for another 12 hours. It can be used for light or moderate flows and is emptied more often to accommodate heavy flows.  Perfect for overnight use.

The DivaCup’s expert, proprietary, patent-pending features make it comfortable and assures ease of use and reliability. Perfect for traveling, running, biking, hiking, dancing, camping, swimming, diving, scuba, yoga, extreme sports and more...

Latex-free, plastic-free, hypoallergenic

No dyes, colors or additives

Comfortable, reliable

Clean, convenient, easy-to-use

Worn for up to 12 hours at a time

(and may I add that there is no risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome)

----------------

Like a tampon, when your flow is very heavy, you may leak so I suggest that you wear a cotton panty liner when you are at the peak of your cycle.

I should also add that the Diva Cup has a very neat feature: it is also a measuring cup so you are able to track how much you've bled!

If any one wants to ask me more about the Diva Cup please feel free, I'm an advocate of alternative menstrual products and love to talk about how beneficial they are for our cunts and environment.

Suggested reading:

**** by Inga Musico . Order it online at http://www.amazon.com/****-Declaration-Independence-Expanded-Updated/dp/1580050751/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220495686&sr=8-1

I love this book, it introduced me to alternative menstrual products, taking back derogatory names for the vagina (such as ****), and was an over all great read that made me so happy to be a woman.

The Camera My Mother Gave Me by Susanna Kaysen Order it online at http://www.amazon.com/Camera-My-Mother-Gave-Me/dp/0679763430/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220495803&sr=1-1

This book is one woman's journey through a painful, incurable vaginal disorder. It's funny, it's relatable, and if you're going through vaginal ****, it helps to read about this woman's journey. I read it in one day when I was .... 18?

OK... there have been a few developments in my own case and I'm going to post an email that I just sent to one of the MedHelp members. Sorry to laze out like this, I've just done a lot of typing and don't feel like rewriting it for a group audience:

I've gone through a few different cycles, one of them being a very dry vulva which included peeling! That was terrifying. It's only happened once though.

My vulva isn't as dry anymore, but it's swollen on one side and the other side is forming into many different vertical layers, if that makes sense. The swollen side is lumpy and also a bit layered.

I've gone to my GP many times. The things I've tried are cortisone cream (though I suggest getting a cortisone ointment because it helps with the dryness) and has been effective in keeping away rashes and itchiness if applied a few times a day. This is a product that you can pick up at a drugstore, it's over the counter. Just use a small amount and don't apply it more than four times a day. At first I was putting in my clitoral hood but I've stopped that and I seem to be less irritated.

I've tried a stronger steroid called fusidic acid. It irritated me a little but controlled the irritation with the cortisone cream. I used it for several weeks and found that it took the swelling down a little but by no means completely dissipated the swelling.

No one suggested this to me but I've boughten vitamin E capsules which I break open and spread onto my vulva. It soothes and is good to control scarring. I'm not sure if this has any healing effects but I use this when I feel i'm becoming too dependent on the cortisone.

I also have environmental allergies so I've stopped using scented laundry detergent (especially for my underwear) and double rinse my clothes. I also have stopped using dryer lint sheets as they contain more irritable scents.

Don't use scented soap. If anything, use a mild baby soap. I just use my hand and warm water to wash.

My doctor told me to have vinegar baths but I found these to make my situation worse. Baking soda is a little better though I've only done that once.

My doctor doesn't know what the hell is going on so I'm waiting to see a dermatologist. I'm pretty sure that I have Lichen Simplex.

Do you have any other areas of irritation on your body? I've been getting little itchy bumps on my abdomen, chest, ankles, heels, arms, and hands. Also one of my ear canals has been bleeding and on some sites I've seen that linked to Lichen Simplex.

This has been a very frustrating experience for me. It has taken away my sexual confidence and sometimes makes sex painful as touching and rubbing is irritating.

You need to get to some sort of a doctor. Though I haven't had one yet, I know that a punch biopsy is crucial for diagnosing vulvar conditions and ruling out vulvar cancer.

Hang tough leighdy, this isn't an easy go.

That's it for now... but I'll  be back soon with a poem that I wrote about my very disruptive gynecological situation.

Love,
Burning69

Oops, apparently I'm too fowl for this discussion group. Please mind all the ****** that were involuntarily added.

I'm a writer, with my first book coming out in less than two weeks! I've found my condition to be extremely disruptive of my creative process.

Here is my UNEDITED poem:

Who could write
when they're attempting to quit smoking, because maybe
it is the root cause of some unknown disorder
                                                                             — by doctor, by internet, by self —
that plagues between the thighs

Pruritus at night, at work, on bikes, during girl on
girl. Who could think
of anything other?

O, nocturnal infections
wake me at night, rubbing
Oooo good, Oooohhh ow! Rubbing
swelling, lichenification, likened
to a calloused middle finger
as if my vulva has been up all night
writing. Oh, share the f'ing words, won't you?

The smoking: not smoking, should I buy a pack? Should I just bum one
off the scrub I lent one to last week? Oh, I haven't smoked
for two days. Oh, maybe
Megan won't mind if I ask for a drag
just after I said
                                       "seriously, I'm quitting"

At work my hands
are down my pants, and yes
I keep getting caught
for it. I just want them to know
I'm not sick,
perverted
or horny.
I'm in irritation.

But instead we both pretend
that I was doing up my fallen fly
adjusting a camel toe.

I step out for a walk. Around the block
I light up a smoke.

-------------

I hope that that poem may help some of you... make you laugh at least.

Hang in their sisters.
I wish everyone the best of luck in finding out whats wrong with them.
My vag has resumed back to its normal self after switching pads and buying a ph balance feminine wash.

good luck guys
i  came in search of ans i got more questions i am young trying to figure out what the problem is. i know for one that doctors  arent aware of whats happening , i am from the caribbean so the issue is wide spread . thanks for the comments they help  me gain some sort of understanding  of what  is happening .my symptoms are in line with the first set  bladder infections,yeast BV sensitive clit  with the white coveringon clit ,swollen labia . so i think i am gonna try some of those suggestions.
I have yet to see my OBgyn...but about 3 days ago i shaved and noticed that my right labia was swollen...It doesn't really hurt and its soft so i'm really confused and it seems like the other side is slightly swollen now. I'm 7 months pregnant and haven't had sex for like 2 months since my husband has been out in a buisness trip...but he'll be back in a few days and i don't want to have sex just in case...My obgyn cant see me till tuesday of next week and he gets back Saturday :(....I don't think what i have is as serious as everyone here but did the sympotoms start out like this?....i don't notice anything getting better at the moment. Just looking for some advice and reffrence as to what the first sympoms are...i have no pain but they are swollen...Thanks
Hi everyone... I have just recently stumbled upon this community and am having many of the symptoms listed above. I have had many UTIs in the past sometimes as frequent as monthly and now my labia has become VERY swollen and extremely dry and irritated... anyone still here?
Hi everyone, I also experienced the problems above with fierce itching and extreme sensitivity in my clitoris that lasted for months.  I was begining to feel like I would never be rid of it. I became miserable when I read that my sweet tooth might be contributing to the problem, especially when symptoms persisted even after I tried cut sugar out of my diet. I had all but lost hope until I found one doctor who knew exactly how to treat me and I recommend him to you all.  You see in my search for a cure I finally turned to our Heavenly Father for help.  I prayed earnestly for the forgiveness of all my sins, I thanked him wholeheartedly for all the blessings he brought to my life and I promised to serve and follow him faithfully before begging him to heal me of this depressing problem.  And, by the grace of our great physician Jesus Christ, a week later the problems were completely gone. Hallelujah!  Don't wait months like I did hopping from treatment to treatment and probable solution to probable solution. This suffering is too great for that. Seek God first and his righteousness and all other things will be added onto you!  There is nothing he can't fix. Praise the Lord!
Hello all,

I just wanted to write on here as well for i to am having some of the symptoms listed. It started about 3 weeks for me. It started with a yest infection and lasted for about a week, in that week i was taking Miconazole, a 7 day treatment. At the same time i would urine and would be somewhat painful. I stated drinking lots of cranberry juice and it had help only a little. soon after the 7 days i had gotten on my period, my yest seem to have gone but my (what i think i have) UTI is still here. About 3 days later (to now) i started to feel more pain as i urine and notice my urine was cloudy. After that i hoped in the shower and felt the need to shave, when i did i notice my clit was very swollen. I woke up this morning and my clit was very sensitive, i'm a little worried, so much has happen in just 3 weeks! i'm gonna get a hold of a OBGYN and have them take a look at it.

i was also wondering did anyone else started off like i did?

Thank you all for reading and trying to find out whats going on with us all, best of wishes.
Sorry, i did not include what type of yest infecrion i had, it was an external yest infection.

Hello, I don't know where the rest of the posters went. However, I started having clitoral pain about a week ago - no burning or itching, yet somehow my doctor thinks it's an yeast infection. Personally, I'm trying to wait it out and currently using heavy amounts of acidophilus, vinegar washes, and wearing loose cotton panties. It's incredibly annoying. Everytime I walk, or sit too long it hurts!!! I'm also surprised at how out of the blue this situation happened. I wish you luck!

L.M
well this sounds like some of the symptoms i was having about 8 months ago. i couldn't make it stop and tried EVERYTHING. finally what worked for me was 5 straight days of d*ouching with water and vinegar (you can buy a cheap store brand full of 4 for about a dollar). you do it once a day continuously. i hope this works for others!!!

p.s. i know it sounds like such a simple solution that can't possibly work, but it does!

Hey,

You were also having clitoral pain associated with yeast infection? Or more closely related to Lydia88's symptoms? If it's clitoral pain, how do you feel now? Ok?

Thanks!

L.M
it's me again, here i sit reading back to see if any one else has found an answer...and well, it's no. i have had this problem since july of 2007. I am currently with a new Dr who is very sweet and is starting from ground zero (not what i want) but I am being patient..because I've waited this long.... it's not the pads, its' not the food, it not my diet ( because I eat no junk food) the creams don't work...I really am at my wits end. The itch, the soreness around the labia and clitoris is to die for! it's amazing at how it goes and comes and it comes just enough to drive you crazy and send evry nerve up your body on end. It's a feeling i dont wish on my worse enemy (ok, maybe my pain in the butt neighbor)  anyhow, The numerous biopsy's come back negative and after we do this last round of yeast infection killer as i call it ( which, i don't have) we will do a skin graft of my labia (which, I have been told by the doctor is her last  resort because it will be painful) wondering if any of you have had this? I'm 35 going crazy with all my hormones, and my beautiful flower keeps wilting away! i read somewhere that all these symptoms with no visual proof is an underlining cause for cancer...have any of you read that in your research? I read alot and that is my problem..... keeping the faith, but down below is losing it!
im only 15, and im having the symptoms of a swollen clitoris and white discharge. i had a rash about a couple weeks ago and its gone now, but everything is still swollen and it hurts really bad. i went to an OBGYN and she is going to lance it and said it was a possible cyst that needed to be drained. ive had sex once before, and it seems like after that all these problems started occuring . . do you think this could be possibly an STD ? im so scared and have no idea whats wrong wth me and was wondering if any of you could give me some answers . thanks.
I cant believe this! I have had these exact symptoms for such a long time now- I thought it was normal and I would just have to deal with it. For some reason part of the time it is ok and part of the time not.

When it goes through a bad stage and I can't have sex at all, my partner gets down because he doesn't quite understand this- he thinks sometimes I just cant be bothered or worse that I am unnatracted to him. I can tell he feels slightly emasculated by only being able to have sex when I feel like it (which is all the time by the way!) but I can tell he sees it as a bit of the 'I've got a headache' senario.  
I can deal with it affecting me but not putting our relationship under strain- I wish it was more widely spoken about so that men were aware that this is a real problem, especially when your doctors are telling you theres nothing wrong!!

Perhaps this is where that myth that a woman's sexual appetite reduces as they age comes from- more women than we realise could be suffering from this sort of discomfort which manifests itself in this way- but what have they got to back it up with? Or more important, what is the solution?
Just like everyone else... "I'm having the same problems." It began a few days before my period, lasted through the period, and about a week after that. My vagina was cake like (like flour and water), plus it was itching, burning, and discharging. When I rubbed or scratched it (sometimes I had to) my vagina lips (labia) and clitoris began to swell. At one point I even had a boil (an abscess)... about the size of a golf ball, growing on my inner thigh (which had never occured before).

First I thought I had an STD or HIV... but I forever and always stayed protected and with one person at that... but it was an option. I went to the clininc and tested negative on the STD and HIV... but positive for a Urinary Tract Infection. I was givin antibotics (some pills because the cream wouldn't have felt right) for the UTI and for the boil (to flush out my blood flow) and drank plent of cranberry juice. Days later the boil busted and my UTI was way better... due to the fact that the boil was holding all that infectious bacteria.

So through all this I believe most of our problems are between a Urinary Tract and Yeast Infection. I barely ever use the washroom... due to the fact that I'm a student and hate using our school bathroom which is very disgusting... so I'm forced to wait till I get home. Holding my urine for long periods of time have caused me to get a UTI before... which I think is my problem as well. It's very unhealthy and I recommend everyone just USE THE BATHROOM!!

As far as ways to reduce the pain... DO NOT DOUCHE!! All it does is flush the bacteria back in your canal and can worsen or prolong your  problems.
As far as the yeast infection... those our sometimes caused due to low PH levels... and to get them back up you can rub/soak/bath your vagina in baking soda. It doesn't burn and it's actually soothing. Do it for a few days and you'll feel a difference.

Hope everyone gets better and I'm happy for you if you're already better... cause it's very uncomfortable and we just want to live or lives women!
My labia is swollen and i have a lot of discharge. i am finding it very uncomfortable and it irritates me when i wear loose cotton underwear i have even tried just wearing very loose fitted trousers but it still feels very itchy and irritates me. i am going to the doctors this week about it but i am pregnant and i am worried that they are going to tell me that this has affected my baby does anyone know if symptoms like this can affect your pregnancy?
It has been a while since I posted. Now 3 yrs of this issue, skin peeling on labia and clitoris hood, worse with yeast, I cut out yeast for 3 months and it got better for a month and then reverted back for no particular reason.  Did the whole dr.  thing, they find nothing wrong with me.  In the beginning I had 2 yeast infections and then one bacterial vaginosis infection, this was after giving birth and being put on the IUD, which was removed.  I dont use tampons, certain toilet papers irritate the girl below, only wear cotton panties.  None of these issues occurred before I had my 2nd child.  I'm 33, long married in a happy commited relationship. Sex feels like rug burn and I'm allergic to all lubricants even the glycerine free....I find that vaseline on outer lips...I know I know is the only thing that works.  Very frustrating. My father recently informed me he has had the similar issues as a male since he was 8 sensitivity to detergents, underwear, etc.  I do have skin conditions, acne, eczema (very minor) and I'm pretty sure dermatitis so I am careful to everything i put on my skin and dont use soap down below, just water...everything irritates.  I had these same symptoms as a child and seemed to outgrow but after the birth of my second child they seemed to reappear.  I am thinking from research that I probably have some type of dermatitis, lichen sclerosus, and a hormonal imbalance from my child bearing.  I have suffered from complex migraines since the age of 8 and after the birth of each child, they have disappeared so I believe this all to be some how connected.  itching seems to disappear with period as well as rug burn sex, only to return after period ends. I know there are thyroid imbalances in my dads side of the family and I'm trying to get family history to figure it all out.  I also know with weather changes the rest of my skin ..mexico hot humid to cold and no humidity, seems to fall off of my face. Many observations over time and trying to find a dr. that actually listens as well and isnt looking for their money and kicking my *** out the door.  let me know of any similar experiences.  I am a healthy, active mom, in good shape, eats well, doesnt even like and rarely has sugar, ready to take on the world and please my man kind of woman who has been plagued by this issue for years and open to any and all answers or feedback. Hang in there ladies, we will figure it out.
Here is some info that I found useful when I started experiencing these symptoms:

There are two main types of vulvar pain:

Localised vulvodynia (vulvar vestibulitis)
Vulvar vestibulitis is pain or burning sensation caused by something touching the vestibule. Pain is caused by sexual intercourse, insertion of tampons, riding a bicycle, gynaecological examination, tight clothes, any situation where the vestibule is touched. There is usually no pain if the area is not touched. Vulvar vestibulitis is diagnosed by touching the vestibule with a Q-tip. Even light pressure such as this can cause pain.

Generalised (dysesthetic) vulvodynia
Generalised or dysesthetic vulvodynia is pain, burning, stinging or rawness on or around the vulva, labia, vestibule, clitoris or perineum most of the time, whatever they are doing. It is not dependent upon touch or pressure but this can nevertheless exacerbate the symptoms. Urination may cause pain and burning. Sexual activity is sometimes so painful as to be impossible, while at other times there may be little or no pain. Generalised vulvodynia is diagnosed when there is a history of constant pain with no visible cause or other identifiable disorder.

Vulvodynia can have a profound sometimes devastating effect on a woman since it may affect her social life, work and domestic functioning, her ability to simply sit in a chair, her sexual relationships and may cause intense depression.

Although treatment is available (local anaesthetic ointments, antidepressants, anticonvulsants) to treat these pain conditions, vulvodynia can sometimes be difficult to treat. Studies are looking into new treatments.

For further information:
The Vulvodynia Survival Guide by H. Glazer and G. Rodke, New Harbinger.
National Vulvodynia Association http://www.nva.org
International Society for the Study of Vulvovaginal

Commenting on Vulva swelling and discomfort as well as discharge thinking it is a yeast infection when it is not.  It is called Lechen Sclerosis and it is an autoimmune disease.  When you have one you
end up with more autoimmune diseases.  Thyroid disease is the most
common.  Have your Doctor run autoimmune panel first steroid cream
is the only way to make it better.
Found you by accident, researching  my psoriasis.

Try this:
First of all; try a Dermatologist, not a gyno.

1) Ask your Doctor to try Naftin, a really good anti-fungal. (Just in case.)

2) Clean that hood carefully:
(you might want to have a glass or two of wine first)
Buy a waterpic. use warm water, set to LOWEST SETTING.
Go all around the sides and top.
Don't keep going if it hurts, or is just too sensitive. You have to build up a tolerance. Come back tomorrow.
If it seems to help, use a little vinegar, or something you would feel safe douching with.

3) Don't be alarmed if you orgasm; don't become addicted to the waterpic.

4) You may want to consider having your hood surgically opened.

5) You may also want to explore:
Hiradenitis suppurativa
Acanthosis
Fox Fordyce
I have a lot of these symptoms, but for me, it started after an assault.  I immediately thought stds and the stress was unimaginable because I had to wait 3 months for herpes and HIV tests to be accurate.  Finally all tests were negative, but the symptoms remain and 2 gyns have no idea, other than bacterial vaginosis, which I've never had before.  Creams and pills still did nothing.  I also have a yellow discharge (been 4 months now) and a creepy crawly prickly sensation from my clitoris to my rectum.  It feels like a UTI, hemorrhoids, but I don't have those.  Also, it doesn't burn when I pee, but it comes out very warm.  The labia swelling and clitoral sensitivity began after I used a cream for BV, and it hasn't gone away.  My kegel muscle feels sore too.  Its best when I lay down, and worsens with activity.  I don't know if my assailant infected me w/ some unknown disease, or if the stress from the assault is playing a number on me.  I just want a name for what this is!!!
Hi all, i had similar symptoms as above a couple of years ago. Sensitivity and swollen and reddish clitoral.  I went to a sexual Dysfunction expert called Dr. kellogg in Philadelphia and she found an ingrown hair that had led to an infection.  The dr. had to remove the ingrown hair-it was really painful as you can imagine and then I was given clobestol.  Eventually it healed and I was back to normal.  Now I am having  similar symptoms and am wondering if it is happening again.  I started reapplying Clobestol again to the area and it is irritating for about an hour in my lower area but then it subsides.  Just thought I'd share.
Has anyone had any luck with this? This is my first time posting but i have had tis problem for about 6 months now. It comes and goes. It first appeared for one week, only in one spot right on my clitoris. It went away for a few months, but i was always very careful and nervous that it would reappear. A few days ago, it started to get irritated for the third time. It can sometimes get so painful that i cant concentrate.
More than anything, i am worried about my mental health. I want to stay positive, but it is so hard when this is happening and ther are no answers. Anyone have any alternative medicine suggestions? I am fed up with the doctors i have been seeing.

Sending you all my solidarity.
Hey all,

I just found this list and read through all your comments.  It sounds like there are quite a few different issues going through here.  Mine are similar to those of the original post - swollen labia (one side or the other, but never both sides at once) and clitoris, along with itching, particularly under the clitoral hood.  

I'm 34 years old and I've had problems with frequent UTIs and yeast infections for the past ten years.  I got my first UTI on my honeymoon and have averaged two per year since then.  I'm starting to think, however, that most of my 'yeast infections' weren't caused by yeast at all.  Treating them with Monstat usually helped, but sometimes only very briefly.  About seven or eight months ago I noticed my first bout of swelling - I noticed it right after sex, but the intense itching had been around for a few days prior.

I freaked out and called my doctor (a GP, not a gynocologist).  By the time of the appointment (three days later) the swelling had reduced significantly and she found nothing really wrong.  She suggested that it might be an allergic reaction, but we were at a loss as to what might've triggered it, as I'd tried no new soaps or detergents or anything else.

Since then, it's come back several times.  I've discovered that taking an antihistimine like Benedryl has given me some relief, though usually only temporarily.  I stopped using the soap I'd been using in the shower (Castille soap) and switched to body wash, but that didn't stop the outbreaks.  I tried not wearing underwear, but find that my discharge is greater during outbreaks and without underwear I feel too damp and exposed to be comfortable.

I'm pregnant now and my OBGYN hasn't found anything unusual in any of her tests or PAP smears, though I haven't told her about this issue specifically.  Since getting pregnant, I had no trouble at all until just recently.  

Over the past week, I thought I had a yeast infection and my OBGYN suggested a 7-day round of Monostat (she trusted my self-diagnosis and suggested this over the phone).  It helped somewhat, but now, three days after the round finished, my labia is swollen and itchy and ridiculously sensitive to the touch.  I noticed that the moist wipes at the doctor's office (had an appointment the day before yesterday) were Castille wipes, and I got a flu shot, but otherwise, once again, I have no probable cause for a flare up.

I'm not supposed to take oral antihistimines because of the baby, but my doc approved the Benedryl cream.  It tried a dab of it on the swelling tonight and initally it burned.  Yikes.  Big mistake, I thought.  But now it feels much better.  I don't think the swelling has gone down much, but the itch is pretty much gone.

I really, really don't want to just 'live with' this for the rest of my life.  It affects my sex life with my husband as well as my general sense of well-being.  Plus, it's no fun being itchy and in pain for days or weeks at a time.  After my daughter is born, I plan to track down a cause for all of this and get it taken care of.  For now, the tests and treatments might not be good for the little one, so I'll wait and hope to have few to no outbreaks for the next four or five months. Wish me luck; I know I'll need it.

I want to thank all of you ladies for your detailed listing of symptoms and treatments.  It's great to know that I'm not the only one this happens to.  Makes me feel less freaky.
I have this problem (swollen labia, hurt to walk), and just wanted to give an update.  I went to a Gyn. specialist, and he took a test and I have a type of yeast infection that doesn't respond well to medicine.  I think it was candita glabratta.  He prescribed 200 mg of fluconazole tablets to take orally once/week.  Plus he prescribed these boric(?) acid vag suppositories to take 1-3x/week.  I feel a lot better.  He said that a combination of the bike riding I did over the summer and the amoxacillin caused it.  I can walk and sit more comfortably now.  It doesn't take me a week to recover from sex anymore.  I had a test and they said I don't have it anymore.  I'm almost symptom free, so they said I should just take the vag suppositories until I feel completely better.  This started over the summer, and the symptoms were subsiding a lot before I finally got in to see the Dr., and after a month on the medicine, this is where I am.  Before I saw the Dr, I was wearing only skirts with no hose (wear thigh highs, knee socks, boots), sleeping with no underwear and wearing only cotton ones, I was using an over-the-counter anti-itch cream (1-2%hydrocort) on it, and sometimes I was wearing boxers instead of regular underwear.  I was taking the underwear off when I got home.  I cut out  sugar, breads, pretzels, and most junk almost entirely.  I bought yogurt with sugar substitute in it, and took probiotics (align) for a couple of months.  I was listening to my body and not doing things that bugged it, like sitting on the affected area.  I also think it would have helped if I bought larger regular underwear.  Good luck!
I've got the same issues everyone else seems to have- swollen labia, sensitive clitoris, an overall feeling of over-sensitivity/irritation/burning that seems to come from nowhere.  I also have issues with headaches, my digestive tract and some slight anxiety issues.  I've mentioned all of these symptoms to my doctors and haven't had any helpful diagnoses.  

Instead of trying to treat all of these things as separate issues, I treat them like symptoms of one issue- nerves!  So I try to eat a diet rich in omega-3's (I also take fish oil supplements) and B vitamins, and keep away from caffeine, very acidic foods, alcohol and refined sugars.  I always notice these symptoms worse when I've been eating an unhealthy diet or stressing too much, so I treat it all as one auto-immune/anxiety disorder and that's been helping.  I also eat yogurt everyday to keep myself from being prone to yeast infections and to resupply my body with healthy probiotics.  

Does anyone else use this approach as well?
I feel like I just joined a club. I am monogamous and STD-free. I started experiencing a seriously itchy clitoris problem after having and clearing a bacterial infection, so I think in my case the anitbiotics might be the right track (I'm on flagyl). I was amazed however that cortizone does nothing to relieve the swelling and itching! It has been going on for 2 weeks now with no improvement and I, like most of you have been a bit miserable at times. If this goes on much longer, I may take the advice of Estelle02; though I am healthy and fit, removing my vices (coffee and beer) could make me even more cranky!  Thanks for your help; I will keep all posted on whether the flagyl works.
Hi, I'm 16 years old and just recently got swelling in the clitoral area. I've had it for four days, and yesterday being the fifth, I went to the doctors. She was shocked to see how swollen it was, she thought I had it for longer. But she told me it was an abscess and it freaks me out. It was the size of a grape apparently, and I'm basically on bed rest because the more I move, the bigger it gets. She gave me some antibiotics to get rid of it. It hurts to sit, lay, and walk certain ways. At three am this morning i woke up to feeling wetness on my bed and me. I thought it was just my period, but when I turned on the light it was clear and a little bloody. The abscess popped. It pusses out blood and clear liquid in my case and it made the swelling go down, but only slightly. It also gives off a foul smell that made me nearly gag. I still get a shooting pain, but more like occassional sting to it. It's really scaring me and I don't know whether to just let it be and wait to go to the doctor for my follow up, or go now.. Please help:(
Hi, I'm experiencing a abscess in the clitoral area. I am 16 years old and this has never happens to me before. I just went to the doctor yesterday and gave me some antibiotics to treat it. But the thing is is that it popped this morning, and it's trying to drain out. I'm soaking it and taking my pills every six hours like she said to, but I was wondering if this was bad. If I should go back to the doctors now, instead of waiting till Saturday for my follow up.

Please help, this has never happened to me before and its scaring me :(
I'm having this problem right now, I just went yesterday and let my obgyn numb it and drain it but this morning it was bigger than yesterday and hurt a lot worse. I was going to go to the ER but when I went to pee and wiped I noticed that there was a little but of yellow on the toilet paper along with blood. I went and got a mirror and got more toilet paper and kept wiping beside of it and above it and more came out. It drained it's self for like 12 mins. Now it's a whole lot smaller and not as sore. It drained more after I took a hot bath with sea salt in it. You can also use Epsom salt. When I went to the dr. they gave me cypro and I think that had a lot to do with it. I feel a lot better now. If you have anymore questions about it email me and I will help the best I can. lavon_1992***@****
Also do not squeeze a place like this. If you do and it pops the opposite way it will go into your blood stream and you will get them all over your body. I know this because my mother has them and they got into her blood stream, she gets them in her eyes and mouth and everywhere else now.  It is also hereditary.
How long does the clitoris stay sensitive after sex?
I've been having this problem also. It's just good to see that I'm not alone..
Have them check your sweat glands.  I had a horrible infection in my sweat glands that only surfaced  when they swelled to a point where they had to be lanced.  it was awful but instantly cured a number of different issues.  Including swollen labia , sensitive clitoris and intermittent odor.  Best of luck!!
Owe! Really, that is what ultimately fixed it for good?
I am having the exact symptoms you are talking about but thought it was brought on by pregnancy. I didn't get this until about the 2nd month (I am now finishing month 5). I was hoping it would go away after birth but am now worried knowing that others suffer with the same thing that aren't pregnant! Please keep us updated and I'll post more if my doctor figures anything out.
I am also pregnant and your answer was just what I was looking for. A lot of pain and sensitivity. Exact symtoms. Looking for a cure do you know?
I havent read all the posts on here, but Ive had similar issues. IN short,
I went to Japan and lived there for 3.5 months as a student. I'm 25, female

WHat happened:

I took horrible care of myself, drank, partied, and had (sometimes) unprotected sex with one person. At one point, he accidentally bumped my butt with his goods, abnd we had sex anyway. I remember thjinking to myself, "Welp, Im going to be sick in like 2 weeks.. Meh, whatever."

DIagnosed with a yeast infection and later some sort of bacterial infection by Japanese doctor. Prior to this, I had thick white discharge, fever, vomiting, and cramps. It took forever to get to the doctor, so I was desperate to not be sick and put unflavored yogurt on my vulva and clit (a terrible idea!) to try to stop whatever was there.

I eventually got to a docvtor, and  I took clomatrizole for the yeast, and some thing else for bacteria. I was clean with no STDs.

AFTER this is when I had the weird mystery vulva inflammation. My clit became inflamed and almost hard. It felt like I was constantly aroused which became pretty alarming. the shaft-like structure that the clit is attached to that would be my penis shaft if I was a man also seemed a bit inflamed

I went to an American doctor when I got back to the states. She got negative readings for STDs, yeast, and bacterial vaginosis as well.

She gave me antibacterial pills ( forgot the name, metrinizadol or something like that) and those worked. My clit felt beter after 5 days and the tingling, burning sensation started to stop. In addition, I took hot showers and gently cleaned the areas with Ivory sensitive soap, and later just warm water. I would dry off the area with a hair dryer on 'hot' and 'dry' . I also ate some fresh garlic (like one branch of the clove) a few days before my prescription ran out and greek yogurt after the first day my antibiotics ended. This seems to be working pretty well. It feels WAYYY better.

Overall, my hypothesis is that this is a bacterial infection and is curable