Positive Pregnancy results but nothing on ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I should be about 7 weeks pregnant.  I took two HPT, both positive, had a Quant blood test indicating 4-5 weeks pregnancy.   They suspected an ectopic pregnancy and that accounted for my last two ultrasounds.  My question is - is it possible to have a false positive?  The nurse said I was an anomaly, that she'd heard of false positves but never knew it to be true.  I'm not menstruating, my urine and blood say I'm pregnant, but they can see nothing on ultrasound.  What could be happening?
This is not meant to be rude whatsoever, but are you overweight?  I was thinking that if you're overweight then that's probably why they're having trouble seeing it with u/s.  Just a thought...

I'd say the chances of hpts and bloodtest showing positive but not actually being pg would be next to impossible.  I'd say you are pg, but it's too early to see anything on u/s.

Also, keep insisting on more u/s until they rule out an ectopic!  You don't want that going undiagnosed!
No, not overweight.  I'm about 5'6 and 120 lbs.  and at this point just baffled.  I don't know what to believe at this point, but you're definitely right about staying on top of it until I get some answers.  Thanks for your post:)
When I was diagnosed with an ectopic, it was based on what they couldn't see on the u/s. No sac or anything, but hcg kept going up. I didn't think they could rule out ectopic with an u/s, but I may be wrong. Are they certain that it's not developing in your tube?
Hello look I am no expert either but when you say she did nnt see anything you mean nothing no yolk sac of northing. I had an ultra sound done at about 5 weeks and they say a yoolk sac and a little white speck the size of a (.) tahat later turned out to be my baby I had another ultrasound done ladt week and saw and heard a heart beat. So just keep checking up with your doctor. Also because in 200 sorry my backspace does not work but in 2000 i was almost three months pregnant and had an ultrasound and the tech did not see nothing and turn out I had a molar pregnancy just one that went bad but still had all the symptons and tests blood and urine showed i was pregnant. Good luck hope for the best and keep us posted.
I was sent for an ultrasound and they couldn't see anything on mine either except abdominal fluid. They suspected an ectopic then but ended up being nothing... Just that I wasn't as far along as they had suspected. They say they can't really see anything until 5 wks so maybe you are just earlier than you thought.
Went in today for more bloodwork, my doctor says we'll wait and see.  Maybe it's a matter of my not being as far along as I should be.  But if my numbers come back high, she's going to assume an abnormal pregnancy.  Thanks to everyone who posted, hopefully everythings fine and just not far enough along.
I just got back from the doctor and I am an emotional mess. I took two pregnancy test and was suppose to be pregnant. The Ultra Sound showed nothing :( They said it could be a chemical pregnancy or too early to tell i am leaning towards chemical pregnancy.
I took 2 home pregnancy tests 2 weeks ago and both were positive. I went to the doctors on Monday (today is Tuesday) and the nurse practitioner did not see anything on the sonogram (vaginally). So, they did another pregnancy test there, and it showed up positive. So, now Im freaking out because I dont know how far a long I am, my periods are irregular and I dont even remember the last one. Im thinking the worst but hoping for the best. She sent me for blood work, one on Monday, another on Wednesday, and another sonogram on Friday with another doctor.
Ive looked up symptoms of ectopic pregnancies, since that wasnt ruled out yet, and Im not having pain, just big time cramping.
I wish I could speed up time to Friday, and I have my fingers crossed that its just too early, and we will see something on Friday.
I ALSO TOOK A HOME TEST FRIDAY CAME BACK POSITIVE THEN HAD BLOODWORK DONE AND IT TOO CAME BACK POSITIVE, BUT I WENT FOR MY ULTRASOUND AND NOTHING SHOWED UP JUST THE THICKINING OF MY UTERUS, ANDTHE OVRAIN CYST, SO MORE BLOODWORK WAS TAKEN TODAY.  I'M SO NERVOUS AND SCARED I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I HAVE THE CRAMPING WHICH THEY SAY IS NORMAL.
I have the same exact situation you wrote about in October.  What happened with you?  
I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive this past Sunday.  Went to the Doctor on Monday, took another urine test:  positive.  Blood test: positive.  HCG level 1700.  Ultasound: nothing but a thickly lined uterus and a cyst.  
Today:  HCG level did not double.  It only went to 1900.  I am having another ultrasound on Friday.  
I was told it is either too early in my pregnancy to see anything on the ultrasound or I do not have viable pregnancy.....
Please let me know what happened with you.
some cysts can give postive pregnancy tests
its either a cyst or a miscarriage. (being that your hcg levels did not double)
Hi, i wanted to say that back in 2004 i had 2 positive pregnancy test and when i had a vaginal ultrasound done and they said it was weird that they could see my baby good because i was only 3 weeks alone and usually it takes up to 6 weeks to show the baby. I just wanted to say that if you baby does not show on the ultrasound it might mean you are before 6 weeks pregnant, but in my case i am rare. Well good luck to you all.
no...they would still be able to see stuff. like the two sacs. i had an ultrasound done at 5weeks 5 days and there was everthing and a tiny dot....my son
I went in yesterday with pain - I was told it was probably an ovarian cyst.  Anyway, I went in to see the doctor.  He said it was a cyst by feeling on my stomach.  Then he had me give him a urine sample.  That came back positive for pregnancy.  Then he sent me in for an ultrasound.  The lady could see a cyst on my left side, but saw nothing in my uterus.  She said it could be too early to tell.  
I don't know how they can tell that I am pregnant since I just had my period on February 22nd.  
Someone said that cysts can give a positive on a pregnancy test.  Is this a proven thing?  Has anyone encountered this problem?
SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME!!  Hcg said I should have been 5-6 weeks, but transvaginal u/s showed nothing ANYWHERE, so they labeled me ectopic!!  A week later a repeat u/s and they saw sac and yolk, but no fetal pole so STILL couldn't say it was a viable pregnancy....FINALLY 2 weeks later They saw "baby" growing in there and saw and heard heartbeat...140bpm, and I was then by ultrasound 7 weeks 4 days pregnant.  Sooooo, what had happened was I was NOT as far along as the hcg levels showed I should have been....instead of 5-6 weeks I was only really 3 weeks and it was just TOO early to SEE ANYTHING anywhere to begin with.  I am now 10 weeks 5 days along, and first all seems perfect!  HANG IN THERE, time is torture!!!  But, that's all you can do at this point, wait!  Best to you...HUGS!
ALL OF YOUR REPLIES HAVE REALLY CALMED ME AND I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE.

TODAY IS 10/30/09, AND AFTER TAKING 2 EPT'S AT HOME AND 1 AT THE DOC'S OFFICE, THEY WERE ALL +. AND WHEN I HAD THE ULTRASOUND THEY SAW NOTHING NOWHERE. SHE SAID EVERYTHING INSIDE WAS NORMAL, SO MENTALLY I FREAKED, I WANTED TO CRY , BE MAD, OR ANGRY. BUT WITH THANKS TO THE NURSES WHO DREW MY BLOOD, THEY CALMED ME DOWN WITH ALOT OF HOPE. BUT I WAS FRIGHTENED BY THE THOUGHT OF AN ETOPIC, I HAVEN'T HAD ANY CRAMPING IN THE PAST 2 WEEKS, I'VE HAD SOME DISCOMFORT OR REAL BLOATED FEELING. AND ALL THE SYMPTOMS OF PREGNANCY, I THANK GOD! BECAUSE NOW I CAN HAVE PEACE OF MIND AND FAITH THAT MY BABY IS INFACT THERE, JUST HIDING, LOL. SO THANK'S TO EVERY1, AND GOOD LUCK AND CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION.
Hi ,

I had spotting yesterday .so i went to doctor she did a vaginal ultrasound and nothing found in uterus.

she said the baby is not growing so she is recommending to do D&C.

As per my last period i should be 8 weeks 3 days by today.

I am not sure what i have to do ?either i have to wait for 1 or 2 weeks to do another ultrasound or go for D&C.

please share if any body has same symptons
"some cysts can give postive pregnancy tests" No cysts CANNOT give positive tests!! Don't listen to this person. The ONLY ONLY reason you would get a positive test is the presence of HCG which is only produced by pregnancy. Whether you had a miscarriage, ectopic or its just to soon to tell, that is the only way to have a positive test. I am in the same boat. I have had 8 positive preg tests, HCG lvls are high but nothing showed up vaginally or otherwise on my ultrasound either, NOTHING. So i am going back friday to have more blood work and im not letting them do ANYTHING to me until i have major pain.  
Last thursday i took  a dollar home prenancy test. (this is how i found out about my daughter who is 5months old) and it came out positive but very light. So the next morning (with that good ole morning urine) i took another one and it was so light you could barely see it. So that there was no doubt in my mind i took a digital one that said yes. So i made an appointment, and the dr didnt see anything on the vaginal sono. So she did a blood test and scheduled me for another sono this week, so hopefully it was just too early to see. I have since done another at home pregnancy test and it is a darker positive. So my levels must definitely must be growing. Ive also heard that testing positive at home so early and having just had a baby, and them running in my family and my boyfriend is a identical twin, that it could be twins and my levels are just so high that they came out in urine early.....so wish me luck :)
Well i went to the dr again, they saw the placenta and the yolk sac so the baby is in there, and my levels went from 550 to over 8,000. and my pregestrone came up too, so all seems well here :)
Hi! Ive been readind everyones stories and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Okay i had a miscarriage in early september of 2010, amazingly almost two months later i found out i was pregnant again. 2 positive pregnancy tests. My doctor said i was about 5w3d, i now should be 6wks. He did an ultrasound and said he couldnt see anything on the ultrasound that was showing him i was pregnant. He says it still could be early and that i would have to give it time. He did however draw blood for a quantitive but i wont know anything for 1-2 days. I am depressed, im not sleeping good, and im sooo worried that ill receive bad news about this pregnancy.
I took 4 HPT... they all came back positive, ive beed cramping an all bloated up an my period in no where to be found... i went to see the doctor i had an altrasound but she said it was too early to tell an that i should come back in 2 days to have another blood test...im praying for the best....
i have 6 positive test 3 first response, 2 clear blue digita and 1 medical preg. test BUT negatve blood test and ultrasound doesnt show anything yet... has this happened to anyone?
I  TOOK 2 PREGNANCY TEST, AND NEXT DAY STARTED CRAMPING AND BLEEDING AND COUPLE HRS LATER PASSED A BIG BLOOD CLOT. I HAD A MISCARRIEGE IN MARCH OF 2011 SO I ASSUMED THAT I PROBABLY MISCARRIED  AGAIN EVEN THOUGH THE FIRST TIME I ONLY FELT A LIL PAIN AND LIGHT BLEEDING, THEY ENDED UP DOING A  D&C. BUT THIS TIME AFATER ALL THAT HAPPEND I TOOK A PREGNANCY TEST 3 DAYS LATER AFTER PASSING THE BLOOD CLOT BC I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT I WAS PREGNANT ANYMORE. BUT IT CAME BACK + SO I WENT TO DR AND 3 DIFF. CLINICS AND THEY ALL CAME BACK + DID ULTRASOUNG AND THE TECH SAID SHE COULDNT SEE ANYTHING IN MY UTERUS. HAD hcgs checked and the first day it was 6200 and went back the next day and it went up to 6900. not sure wants going !! anyone have any suggestions.im waiting on the dr to get back with me to give me some kind of answer.
I would like to comment on what you have said to this woman who has positive pg tests and a positive urine test by a physician. I have to say that I think it was very very rude to ask if she is over weight. Thats my first concern second I am 29 yrs old never have been pg until i was sexually assaulted when i thought i was safe at a friends and i had way to much to drink. A week or two went by and i missed my period which is like clockwork every month. I am scared to death these past five in a half weeks because I too am going thru the same ordeal. I'm 120 lbs and am always very health aware and workout on a regular basis. I guess i have to respect your opinion that you have given this poor woman and others like me that are and "YES" IT IS A VERY REAL FACT THAT AFTER FIVE WEEKS AFTER AN ULTRA SOUND AND PROPER TESTING BY MD'S THAT IT HAS BEEN REPORTED OF CASES SUCH AS THE WOMAN AND MYSELF WITH A VERY REAL UNUSAL SITUATION, THAT THE DOCTORS FIND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO LOCATE THE EGG..... I FEEL FOR THE WOMAN WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AND SERIOUS CONDITIONS WE BOTH HAVE TO FACE, SO PLEASE TRY TO BE ALITTLE MORE INFORMED AND EDUCATED BEFORE OFFERING PREMATURE ADVICE......
omg! i got positive pregnant test at home and i went to the doctor and got a positive result there. but when she did the vaginal ultrasound nothing was there. my period is irregular and i cant remember when it came on last. im praying its too early to tell.
I had my LMP sept.22, then AF didn't come last october so I had HPT oct.25 and its positive. Nov.6 when I had a bleeding(and I still have right now as I type this)the doctor gave me med and schedule me for transvaginal ultrasound friday(nov.11)I got the result today and it says "normal size uters with thickened endometrium /normal ovaries". They can't find my baby.that they I had the u/s, the tech said she see nothing which makes me feel really worried. :(
I really don't know what to do. :(
i went to the doctor yesterday after having 2 hpts +++ since 11/26. i guesstimated myself to be about 8 weeks  but there was nothing on the ultrasound. i had an ectopic last year and after talking to my doctor he's saying that i'm just too early for anything to show up. so guess i'm wrong and i'm around 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. but my doctor even says that i'm weird so we'll see what the bloodwork from yesterday and monday combined tell him to tell me. fingers crossed and baby dust all around :)
imsuppose to be 7weeks today my bloodwrk and urine say positive this is my second ultrasound and they say they see the sac and something is there but no baby whats wrong
i find out on 3rd of may that i was pregnant the doctor also comfimed it to. the doctor booked me in for a scan on the 8th may because i had an ectopic pregnancy 3 years ago. on the 5th may i started bleeding but not like a period. i had my scan on the 8th may but nothing showed up on the scan. im still getting positive pregnancy test. as anyone every had a scan but nothing showed up but still was pregnant
Hi ladies!
  Seems  like im going through the same thing, and its so confusing! My last menstrual cycle was 3/29 and still no period to this date. I took 3 hpt about 3 weeks ago which came back positve, i had a little bit of bleeding a couple days ago, and it stopped. I got real concerned and called my dr, she scheduled me for an ultrasound yesterday, just to make sure everything is ok, since id had a miscarriage last yr. Results showed that there was no baby, my uterus was empty. So no im waiting on results from my blood work i had today......im sooo confused! Also i took another pregnancy test earlier today and it now shows negative. i dont know what the heck could be going on!
Hi it gives me some sort of relief to read that I'm not the only one going through this. My lmp was April 15 and took hpt with positive result. went to doc and did a urine test with positve result aswell. a week later I started spoting brownish to clear fluid. it is more like when i wipe after urinating. so I went to the OBGYN and they did a vaginal ultrasound and showed up nothing. She said that i might have had a miscarriage or may be an etopic pregnancy. She did do a hcg intact test and the first one read 3930.0 (<5). I have yet to take the second test. I am still seeing light brownish discharge evry time i wipe. I do have tenderness on my breast and some light dizziness every now and then, some bloating but no pain other than a pinch or a slight strech on my lower ab. I am concerned that I am no longer pregnant and if I am not whyam I not experiencing heavy flow. How does this work. I never had a miscarriage. Can any one give me some advise!
I had the same happen positive test but nothing on ultra sound..but I'm only 2 weeks. They didn't take blood but says I'm not pregnant.should I wait and hope I am or think I already lost it?
Iv had 2 positive tests but i had an ultra sound and an internal scan but they seen no sign of a baby :/ i have all the pregnancy symptons , peeing more, eating more, always sleepy and feel worn out, moodiness, lower back ache, weight gain hips widening, all of it! i was worried about eptopic pregnancy! but apparently it can't be that if your not bleeding anymore, so that was a relief! i bled for 2 weeks straight quite heavily, but now iv stopped bleeding all together but still got pregnancy symptons, just confused :( x
hello. i have done 3 home pregnancy tests. 1 is clear blue. all shown positive. did a 4th with the doctor and just waiting for the result. in the meantime i am having mild period like cramps in my tummy. last night it got worse (sweats, dizzyness, nausea)  so the emergency doctor booked me an emergency scan at the hospital the following day. just being and they sent me for an ultra sound both externally and internally. nothing showed up but fluid. sent me for blood tests and it had very low hormone pregnancy levels. am i not pregnant???
I'm so confused now by reading everyone's posts. I was having pregnancy symptoms so went in and had the blood pregnancy test done. It came back as positive. Then, 4 days later, I wake up and I'm bleeding. So I freak out and go to the dr.  She checks me internally, and tells me that by the way my uterus feels I am 8-10 weeks pregnant.  Now the only pregnancy symptom I had was my breasts were tender and some cramping in my right ovary. She sends me to get a vaginal ultrasound done, and there is NOTHING. There was no yolk, no sac, no nothing. But they find multiple cysts on both ovarys. She said that was why I had a false positive.  Today I'm feeling my body, and I feel something hard about 2 fingertips below my belly button. But I've been having severe pain in my lower back, and around to my ovaries for the past 3 days. I'm not bleeding, but hubby doesn't want to spend more $$$$ going to another dr just for them to tell us the same thing. I have no clue what to do now that I read that the cysts do not give false positives.
Okay I'm freaking out!! Went for a ultrasound today nothing showed up. I have had three HPT and my pg test at the doctors all came back + but had a ultrasound today and nothing showed up doc said nothing was showing like I was pregnant and I've been bleeding since my first HPT don't know if what I should be thinking right now.. according to my last cycle I should be 6weeks 6days.. help need advice!!
Hi there.  Welcome to the forum.  Sweetie, I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm sure you are very upset.  You could have had a miscarriage already?  Or else the ultrasound is too early.  Did the run the beta levels for you so that you can see if they are increasing (they double day to day when a pregnancy is growing)?  The bleeding would be something that most doctors would also discuss with you.  what are their thoughts on this?
i took a clue blue last week went to the hospital and my urine was positive but my blood level was 94 and its been a week i just took three home tests and they are all positive but i have one dark line on all and one light line what does this mean ? the hospital had it stuck in my head i was miscarriaging am i ?
Hi .. I'm on the same boat.. I didn't  get my period since September .. My last menstrual period was on august 18 or 19... I had my first positive test last October 7 and until now it's still positive . They took a urine test to confirm my pregnancy and yes the doctor confirmed that I'm pregnant. So they asked me to do some blood work just to make sure. He also estimate how far I am to my pregnancy via LMP. So today October 15 my doc. sent me to an ultrasound but and nothing shows up.. Both belly and transvaginal ultrasound. The ob told me that either it's too early for me to detect or it could be ectopic... I'm so scared when the ob mentioned about the ectopic. I hope it's not an ectopic ... Please help I need your advice.

Ps. When I found out I'm pregnant on October 7, I had this very very light bleeding ..
I had my transvag yesterday at 5 weeks and no sac was found.. Nothing at all. Im so scared. I miscarried last  january and i dont want to go through that ordeal again.