Positive pregnancy tests but perimenopausal
I am a 45 year old who has been experiencing irregular periods
for the last 6 months. Last month was only 23 days and now
I'm on day 32 and have not started. I went ahead and took 2 pregnancy tests
and both came back positive. Is it possible the hcg levels
are related to increased hormones from menopause and I am
not pregnant? I also have hypothroidism.
I would definitely go see your OBGYN. I've always heard that pregnancy tests are really only unreliable when it comes to negatives, not positives.  Again, please go see your doctor ASAP!
I think unless you've had some medication in it with hCG lately (usually fertility drugs) that you are most likely pregnant. I don't believe there are any hormones that fluctuate with menaupose that would cause the false positive, hCG only rises with pregnancy and that's the only thing that the home tests look for. Hypothyroid medication wont affect the pregnancy tests.
I totally agree with the above poster.  Some things will interfere with a test, but I think that Hcg is pretty much just present at those levels during pregnancy.  I would call your Dr, you never know.  There are 2 moms in their 40's that have little ones in daycare with my son and are now expecting again...
I vote pregnant also.  hCG is a pregnancy hormone, not an absence-of-estrogen result.
Well congratulations! My mother was 42 when she unexpectedly became pregnant. Her oldest child was 23 years and youngest was 8. Now my mom is 45 with 6 children. The unexpected is now a 3-year-old who has two nephews a year younger then her.  It makes the family interesting!

Well you were right, I'm pregnant. I wish I was
more excited, I have a beautiful 14 year old and
never felt the need for another child. However, I
guess we can't predict the future and if I can
have a child at 45, I guess it's meant to be.
Yes, congratulations! I'm sure the excitement will start once the shock wears off. Enjoy. :-)
congrats on the pregnancy, but be very careful with the hypothyroidism, my mom developed it while pregnant a few years ago and it caused many problems, and birth defects, it wasnt treated, thats the cause of the defects, just be very careful and good luck
I am 53 years of age. I had my last child at age 42. My cycle has been very predictable until about four months ago. Long story shorter because I've never gone more than 40 days without a cycle I bought a home pregnancy test. I took it at about 1 a.m. during a middle of the night pee. Watched for results and it seemed to be negative. I went back to bed. At 8 a.m. as I was getting ready for work I glanced at the test and there were 2 blue lines!!!!
Is it possible for a false positive to appear after seven hours of sitting?
I just read your post and have had the same thing happen. I'm curious what you found out. I am 45 and have just had 3 positive tests but I still haven't seen the doctor. The first test did exactly like yours but the next two immediately showed positive. I urge you to take another test if you have t already.