Possible Infection after Hysterectomy and fistula repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I had a total hysterectomy on October 18th 2005 and a fistula repair.  However I have a very foul smell coming from the vaginal and rectal area.  I have some cramping no fever but feel just kind of sick.  The fistula surgery has well not sure how to put it it has come apart and now have like gaping area in the perinium.  I am really concerned if this disharge which is a brownish green kind of stuff is normal or if I should get somewhere asap.  I would appreciate your help or input
I don't want to be an alarmist but please call your Doctor. That may be normal after a fistula repair but not sure. I had a vaginal total hysterectomy back in 1996 and the Doctor snipped my bowel. I had to go back into the hospital for another 4 days. He didn't tell me that he snipped my bowel of course. My infection started about 2 days after I got home with a fever and chills. I called his service of course it was on the weekend, but he told me to call if I developed a fever. So I did once it got to 100 then he told me to call back if it got to 101. Of course he was too busy tending his horses and no time for me. So once it went to 101 he told me to meet him at the hospital. Well when I got there he wasn't there. He called in and told the nurses what to do. Isn't that just like a Doctor and they wonder why they have bad reputations. So they did some blood work and my white blood cells were high which meant infection. He wanted to give me some medicine and send me home, but I told him that I felt better staying there especially because your temp. rises at night.
I'm sorry I don't mean to be long winded here. Just please call your Doctor. And if he doesn't return your call then keep calling until he does return your call.
Good luck and I will be thinking about you.
Since I haven't seen any reply, I am hoping that you called your Doctor.
i had an lavh in aug, and i know the funky smell is usually normal, however the discharge you are having is not.i had a discharge but it was a yellowish color, and from the website hystersisters.com that was routine. and with infections fever is not always present, i know from first hand experience. i would definatly call your surgeon in the morning
since it is finally monday and my hubby is in from over the road we are calling the doctor this morning or going to the er one or the other  yesterday i had a terrible time have a bowel movement extreme pain and very hard to bare down once i did i was bleeding from the fitula surgery so we are doing something today definitly.  will let you all know as soon as i can and thank you for all your support and replies
hope things are going better, let us know
Hi, hope that you are okay we haven't seen a post so please let us know how you made out.
I recently had a total Hystererectomy, but prior to the surgery I went in with rectum pain , back pain that went down the back of my legs and not being able to sit because of pain and lower stomach pain and lots of pain when having bowel movement or if bowels are in the cavity.  After going to the doctor, I had some test and it was determined that my uterus had scarr tissue  and ovaries had tumars and cyst.  I am now in my 7 week after surger and I am still having rectum pain lower back , stomach pain and pain when having a bowel.  My symtoms (symptoms) sound a lot like some type of bowel problem. I have been given meds  for infection. Has this ever to anyone.  
I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY ABOUT A MONTH AGO. I AM STILL FEELING PAIN AT THE BOTTOM OF MY BELLY.I HAD BIKINI CUT AND THIS MORNING THE PAIN WAS REAL SHARP I HAD A ODOR FROM THE CUT I TOOK A SHOWER A LATER NOTICED A RED BUMP BY THE CUT.I AM WONDERING ANYONE WHO HAS HAD ONE A HYSTERECTOMY IS THIS NORMAL THANKS
Well just wanted to let you know that the same exact thing is happening ith me and  feel horrible still having back pian and cramps and bowel problems...And i had a hystorectomy a year ago and it didnt change a thing ...Since the surgery i have still had the same problem if not worse..I have been going to a colon doctor but they arent sure yet they are running some test..Also they siad it could be IBS attacks but this is to pianful and it even feels like its in my kidneys,so i am like you dont know what to think anymore...
i had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 and a half weeks ago about 3 days ago i started feeling unwell and started bleeding the pain is horible and there is an odor the discharge now is red/green like am very worried have looked up alot online and it is giving me information on antimicrobial prophylaxis?
Have any of you gotten any better or has things worsen?  I had a Partial Hystererectomy in 2005; now I am experiencing back pains, and not being able to sit because of pains in my rectum and lower stomach some pains during bowel movements and awful gas pains.  Last year I had a colonoscopy which produced nothing. My doctors seems to be guessing at my health. I was told that I might have and infection from possible scarring from the surgery on my uterus since the ultra sound concluded all was well with my ovaries. Also, the scarring is the only thing that could not be seen on an ultra sound.   Is their a medication that could work.
I am now worried I am suppose to get a total hysterectomy done in a few weeks  to remove a fibroid the size of a orange an I read everything you all are writing about having all these problems with your rectum an lower back pain .. My Dr. said it is rare of anything happening .. But of course with any surgery there are possibilities of any kind of infection ...
I've had a full total abdominal hysterectomy nearly six wks ago and my wound is still not healing it's open on the middle with green gunky stuff comin out. Also sever pains in stomach. I've had an ultrasound scan which revealed fluid in my stomach but wouldn't tell me wat it is. A swab on wound has revealed infection, on 3rd lot anti booting now and am totally fed up.  In more pain now than when I first had it done  also pains in legs kidneys back bottom arms and feel sick. No temp tho.  Also on combined HRT patches