Post ligation - post ablation syndrome
In June of 2009 I had a Nova Sure ablation with great results.  I have no bleeding at all now and have had little to no pain.  In December I suddenly had severe lower abdominal pain that originated just below the belly button and radiated to both sides and around my back.  This pain was very sharp, brought me to a fetal position and induced vomiting.  The severe pain lasted about 1 1/2 hrs and then eased up leaving me with a constant aching pain in my lower abdomen.   I had severe bloating with my lower abdomen sore to the touch.  Within two days...all pain was gone only to return again 27 days later.  I can't get any doctor to take me seriously.  I've been given pain medications and told "some women have bad periods".  In a desperate search for answers, I found information regarding "The post-ligation post-ablation syndrome".  I had a tubal ligation 10 yrs ago.  I would love to hear from anyone that has experienced this or who might have more information.  I worry that this will continue to happen every month.  Help!
I have been having the same problems as mentioned above after have NavaSure in 2010. The pain in unbearable and no doctor could tell me what was wrong. Last week I saw a doctor at John's Hopkins and they told me it was caused by the NovaSure. I am having a hysterectomy this week because of it. I am only 28 years old. I have a feeling there is going to be some sort of class action law suit for this coming soon if so many woman are having these problems. It is terrible. The doctos make you think you are crazy.
I agree with you about accountability for this procedure, and  hopefully a large attorney corporation is watching these posts.   I am wondering about procedures coming before novasure I was not detailed on by a gyn/ob not acquainted with me.  I feel like I was used as a laboratory rat.  In one minute I went from normal activities of daily living and sports to doubled over in pain like a chemical fire was taking place behind my navel.  This happened 2 1/2 years after novasure.  I was 53 years old with cervical dysplasia on the date of the procedure, and hysterectomy was not discussed.  Ironically, hysterectomy had been discussed years earlier by a large Indiana university based medical group, and now I feel like I was a test subject for my age group by a medical corporation well known for a high local rate of psychotropic prescriptions to women.  I am very concerned about fluid collection in the uterus and look 5 months pregnant.  Metamucil will now become a part of my daily life.  Would I bother going back to that ob/gyn?  He charged state subsidized Anthem Blue Cross-Blue Shield $10,000 for his plethora of procedures, and believe he'd love to extend the tab with new procedures for a  55 year old woman (excluding hysterectomy), and perhaps suggest a sudden pathology for his colleagues in Urology, Gastroenterology, Psychiatry, and why not Ears, Nose and Throat?  After this GYN office candy sale of painful, deforming, and probably experimental pre-paid services, will go for the More Practical hysterectomy and bioidentical hormone package, sold separately.
I had a tubal ligation in 2004 and the Novasure on May 15, 2012 because of very heavy periods that were lasting 7- 10 days each month. I was aprehensive at first about the procedure because I have Lupus. My doctor assured me that it would be perfectly fine and so I went ahead and schedule the ablation. The procedure went perfectly normal as was the recovery.  For the past year, I haven't had a period at all and apart from feeling grumpy and bloated for 3-4 days each month it's been wonderful!  A couple of months ago the pain started.  At first it was dull aching cramps that caused bloating and extreme tenderness in my pelvic area. Last month while at a theme park with my family I suddenly had horrible cramps that felt like contractions and I started to bleed... Not a lot of blood but enough I had to buy a restroom pad.  Each month the pain comes back and each month, the pain is  worse than the last, except for last month, there has been no bleeding, just pain.  This pain is a constant ache in the lower pelvic area that wraps around to my back. Sharp stabbing pain comes every few minutes, building like a contraction until I'm doubled over. Several times I've gone to sit on the toilet thinking that if I just bear down it will help. It doesn't. I have spent the last hour laying here reading each of these stories and becoming more and more angry. Had I found this thread before my ablation I would never have gone through it. This makes me angry, I was assured that if it failed, I would just start having periods again.   I too am wondering about if there is a class action suit and/ or if any other of research has been done about this complication.
I agree that there should be some kind of class action law suit.  I also had an ablation in August of 2009.  About a year and a half later I started having terrible pain on my right side every month when I was supposed to be having my period.  The pain was so bad that I couldn't even stand up straight and I would miss work because I couldn't even get out of bed some days.  I was ready to cut myself open and start ripping out parts myself!  I finally had enough and talked to my doctor and scheduled a hysterectomy, which I had in June.  Best thing I ever did!  My doctor came in after the surgery and told me he thinks he found the source of my pain....my bowel was attached to my right fallopian tube by some filmy scar tissue! I have been pain free since the hysterectomy.  I wish I would have know about this at the time I had the ablation, I could have saved myself a lot of pain and misery and just had the hysterectomy then.  To all out there in severe pain, don't just wait around hoping it will get better like I did.    
I had a similar experience. Tubes tied in 08, ablation Oct 2011. No problems until about a month ago.  Severe Sharp Pain in my lower left abdomen, down into my groin and even down to my knee at times. Constant pain, even worse at night. ultrasound showed blood trapped in the uterus. Prescription pain meds weren't completely taking the pain away and my gyn said options are hysterectomy, d and c our laparoscopy. He mentioned that bc Pills Might give me some temporary pain relief.  I ants about depo, thinking that if it Aims it might last longer.  It HAS been working so far. It's a temp fix, but after the pain I've gone through I will take any relief I can get!
I had a similar experience. Tubes tied in 08, ablation Oct 2011. No problems until about a month ago.  Severe Sharp Pain in my lower left abdomen, down into my groin and even down to my knee at times. Constant pain, even worse at night. ultrasound showed blood trapped in the uterus. Prescription pain meds weren't completely taking the pain away and my gyn said options are hysterectomy, d and c or laparoscopy. He mentioned that bc Pills Might give me some temporary pain relief.  I asked about depo, thinking that if it workd
it might last longer.  It HAS been working so far. It's a temp fix, but after the pain I've gone through I will take any relief I can get!
I am having the same problems as all of these women after having my Ablation in 2005. What did you end up doing about yours? Thanks for any insight.
Here I am 3 years after you, my ablation was in 2005. Wondering what you ended up doing? My doc basically said it will go away when I go through menopause and there is no way in the world I can wait 10 more years for that. Thanks for any insight.
Hi there, I am in the same place as you were and am wondering if you had the tube removed or not and if so, how has it affected you?

Thanks for any insight, I am dying of pain but can't stay on pain meds the rest of my life.

I, too had a tubal ligation followed by an ablation in 2007-2008.  I experienced little to no bleeding since procedures.  However, this summer, I experienced severe abdominal pain, radiating to my legs, mostly on the right side of my abdomen.  After a few months of thinking it was a past ovarian cyst issue, the pain got to be so bad, it was unbearable on a daily basis.  I made an Gyno appt, but before I could make the appt, I ended up in the emergency room, had an emergency hysterectomy of my uterus, cervix, tubes and right ovary.  Please make an appointment ASAP, the pain will only get worse, I assure you.
I had a tubal ligation in 1997 and Endometrial Ablasion in 2005.  I didn't have my cycle for November and was in severe pain in December.  I made an appointment immediately with the OB/GYN and they did an ultrasound, only to find that I have a blood bubble trapped inside my uterus due to not getting all of the lining.  So now I have to have another procedure to have it drained, and I am wondering if I should have another physician to do this, as I don't want the other doctor to go in and do anything other than drain it.  Any thoughts?
I also had a tubal ligation and ablation and after almost 8 years  I have started having bad cramps and very light period every month. It really hurts and is very uncomfortable I was not told this could happen and does hurts a lot I had a pelvic sonogram done and it came out clear. I am taking naprossen every month for the pain and I really dont know what to so amymore.
I know your post is old but I'm wondering how things turned out. I had an ablation 3 years ago. I have been having bad back pain for the last year with bad menstrual cramps I get severe cramps mid cycle and during my period with cramping down my left thigh, my lower abdomen, and my back pain gets 10x worse.  I also have had non stop spotting of black and brown blood for 2 months. My doctor decided my cervix is closed by scar tissue and I may have old blood backing up. I also had an Ultrasound and it shows a 5 cm cyst on my ovary. Had a D&C today with hysteroscopy. She dilated my closed cervix but said there was no old blood. She did take a biopsy.

I'm  wondering if you are still having issues including back pain and if not, what did they do to resolve it. I'm 41 and wondering if it's just early menopause causing the off colored drainage but if doesn't fit with the back pain. Any advice would be great
Did your symptoms go away after your hysterectomy? My story is similar,

I had an ablation 3 years ago. I have been having bad back pain for the last year with bad menstrual cramps I get severe cramps mid cycle and during my period with cramping down my left thigh, my lower abdomen, and my back pain gets 10x worse.  I also have had non stop spotting of black and brown blood for 2 months. I also have bowel issues with a negative colonoscopy. I was told it's probably just irritable bowels.

My gynacologist is wonderful and knows about post ablation syndrome. She said my cervix is closed by scar tissue and I may have old blood backing up. I also had an Ultrasound and it shows a 5 cm cyst on my ovary. Had a D&C today with hysteroscopy. She dilated my closed cervix but said there was no old blood. She did take a biopsy.

I'm  wondering if you are still having any issue like before your hysterectomy? I'm 41 and wondering if it's just early menopause causing the off colored drainage but if doesn't fit with the back pain. Any advice would be great
Hi! I am 44. I had a tubal ligation in 1998 and Endometrial Ablasion in 2008. I had spotting the first 30 days, but when the procedure preformed I was close to my cycle, so the blood that  release. Every month since the procedure was done I was have mild/medium menstrual cramps; funny thing is I felt the cramping where I was injected for numbing for the procedure. Then slowing the cramping started to become more pronounced starting around June and in July 2013 I experienced for the first time pain that I had only experienced in child birth. I was a crippling pain and continual- my stomach contacted as if i had a child inside of me. I was balled up in the fetal position so tight I thought I would snap in half. I called my dad and nearly scared him to death- he had only heard of this kind of pain from my uncle who had died recently from bone cancer... I suffered through an entire day and then next day it just ended as if it never happened. I had light bleeding and extreme tenderness throughout my abdomen- almost as if I had been kicked by a horse in the stomach, it hurt to cough. I tried to get in with my physican/GYM referral but there were no appointments available prior to my deployment to Afghanistan in August. Since I have been deployed I have experience the same pain 3 times. The first time back in July was horrible, and I only took Motrin and Tylenol to try to soothe the pain- neither worked. The second time was pretty bad and just came on suddently- I just stayed in bed. The third time was the worst- the cramps was so severe you could see my stomach muscles contracting involuntary - I tried pillows inbetween my legs- heating bags, propping myself up- hot showers- NOTHING HELPED... I ended up being awake nearly 24 hours sitting and rocking on the side of my bed in severe pain- my tears seemed to not end. Finally I had to have someone take me to the military hosiptal to seek relief- once there they gave me vicodin and for the first time since the pain started I got some relief and much needed rest. I redeploy in July and after numerous online searches and countless phone consultations with my primary doctor one thing is for sure- I can not wait to have a hysterectomy... I look forward to that extreme comapred to the pain I am now subjected to.  
I am also suffering from Post ablation tubal sterilization disorder.  I had a tubal ligation in 2000, and an endometrial ablation in 2007 after suffering very heavy periods. It was successful for a short time, it was less than a year after the ablation that my PMS symptoms started to get worse. The bleeding was minimal, but the cramping, stomach problems slowly got worse over time.  I have been to the ER on several occasions thinking it may be my appendix, but after ultrasounds and CT scans everything came out clear. In January I was in such terrible pain I ended up in the ER again, and was told I had a few cysts on my ovary and referred me to my Gynecologist. I was told at that appt. I had a polyp and 4 cysts, and that I was to come back for another Ultra sound in a few months. I never got my period that month, and still have not had one since, and over the past few weeks I have been in tremendous pain. It is a lot of cramping, bloating and contractions similar to labor pains. I got into see my doctor last week, and he did diagnose me with this disorder. Ultimately what is happening to my body is, is that I am still having periods but the blood is unable to come out because of the build-up of scar tissue caused from the ablation.  I am now scheduled for a hysterectomy in one month. I am trying to get through one day at a time right now. I hope anyone who is thinking about getting an endometrial ablation really understands the consequences that this procedure can have on their body.
I have the exact same story. I feel furious that there was no mention of my tubal ligation (my gyno was surprised after i told her that i had had one) and the possibility that this could cause problems with the endometrial ablation. I have had nothing but thick yellowish discharge, and loads of pain in my pelvic region (fallopian tubes) and lower back. It is wearing me out. I feel depressed and have no energy. I am extremely emotion. My gyno cannot see me until July 4th, so I have to suffer with this chronic pain until then. And just today, i passed what looked like some uterine lining (cream coloured clump with bloody tinge inside). What a nightmare this endometrial ablation has been for me!! :(
I am so glad I found this forum.  I had Novasure done back in February 2013 and although the procedure did not stop my periods entirely it sure cut down on the amount of blood that I was passing each month.  It was so bad before the procedure that I was extremely anemic and my doctor was considering performing a complete hysterectomy.  Fast forward to August 2014. I am having terrible right abdominal pain, severe cramping and bloating issues which only seem to escalate at night.  I will see my GYN on September 4th but this pain is excruciating.  I have taken every OTC pain reliever you can imagine but nothing seems to cut through to this extreme pain.  Although I don't like to see anyone suffer, it helps to know that other women who have gone through this procedure have/ or are experiencing some of the same symptoms that I have exhibited.  I thought I was the only one having these issues and it helps to know that I'm not going crazy and that these symptoms are indeed real and more than likely the result of the NOVASURE ablation.
I also had a C-Section in January 1993, a Tubal Ligation in September 1996 and Ablation November 2012. I ALWAYS had insanely heavy painful periods which only got worse after my Tubal Ligation. I had a constant stabbing pain on my right side where my ovaries are and would have back pain, nausea and cramps for almost a week or longer with each period. I bled so much I would go through 3 super maxi tampons in an hour and was taking Tylenol 500 mg tablets 3 at a time 4 times a day for almost 12 years. Then my kidney's and liver started shutting down because of the Tylenol "over dose".  I had the ablation because of the constant pain and because I also have numerous tumors and cysts on my cervix and uterus. My Dr. talked to me about having a hysterectomy since I was already fixed and did not plan to have any more children, but I was only 40 at the time and did not feel prepared for the side effects of that. Now almost 2 full yrs after my ablation I feel like I am almost in labor. The cramps, the back pain, the nausea, the 'constipated feeling', the lack of energy, my entire abdomen hurts and is sore to the touch. Like the comment above, the only thing that alleviates any of the pain even remotely is a very hot bath and heating pad. But as mentioned above not an option for full time workers and an active lifestyle. I am talking to my Dr. about a full hysterectomy now, I cannot live with this pain and I am unwilling to take the chances on the side effects of medications and "other untested" procedures. Best wishes to all of you. My best advice would be to send this forum to your OBGYN so that they can see you are not alone and ALWAYS find a good female OB. Males cannot even begin to understand what we are going through even if you find one open minded enough to listen.
Can you tell me if you had a full hysterectomy?  I have the same thing....tubal & ablation and the pain is now unbearable.  My doctor has definitely heard of post ablation syndrome and is the one who brought it up to me.  After reading about it, this is definitely what I have. She is suggesting a partial hysterectomy but I feel all my issue comes from my right ovary so I also feel that needs removed along with my uterus.  I'm afraid I'll have a partial hysterectomy and leaving the right ovary in will continue to cause issues.
Hi,  I'm having severe pain in lower left side,just like labor and I did it all natruel. Had novasure in 2010, and had very light periods since. In 2013 started having pain went to a digestive disease doctor. He did colon and endo test, along with cat scan and ultra sound found nothing, told me I have IBS.
Now the pain is so bad I have to lay down in fetal position to help with pain. So now I'm on a antispasmodic and barbiturate med to take away the pain, but it doesn't always work.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Sue

Sue
Sue, you probably have Post Ablation Syndrome or Post Ablation Tubal Sterilization Syndrome.  Sounds like the tell tale signs.  There are not a lot of doctors out there that know about it.  You need to call around and find a doctor that does so he can do a vaginal ultrasound and diagnose you properly.  I was just diagnosed and Sept. 8th I will be getting a hysterectomy.  Read up on the syndrome to see if this is what you are experiencing and contact a doctor that has dealt with patients with this syndrome.  The pain will get worse as the months go by and more of your uterine lining grows back.

Good luck!!
Val
I can't believe what I am reading. I am 50 years old I had a tubal in 1996 and Novasure 9/9/2010. The back pain has been out of this world and the change in my private area smell and stomach cramps; which are mild for now. I told my primary care about them and she did a pap and said I am good, but the pain in my back and lower stomach says I am not. I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago, they found polyups and removed them, she said that should help my back. But it did not, then by the Grace I find these post. Could I be having Post Endometrial 4 years later?
I had a tubal in 2002 after my last baby and the ablation in spring 2013.  Things were ok for the first year.  I still had periods and some minor discomfort but nothing like before the procedure.  This past January I had an infection that caused a horrible smell and had to get a prescription for.  My gyno said it could be from some of the blood not being able to exit the uterus. Things got worse from there.  Abdominal cramps got more severe each month and the bleeding has begun to increase.  Last month I had one day of spotting and was very happy until this month.  I had ANOTHER infection with the same horrible smell coupled with severe cramps and body aches. I barely made it through my work week, called the Dr. and had a pelvic ultrasound.  I will have results Monday.  This is not normal and I'm really tired of being in pain and my husband is very concerned.  I am relieved and validated to know that I am not the only one suffering from these symptoms.  More info as I get results from the ultrasound.
Well happy to find this forum!! I had a tubal in 1989 & ablation in 2011, the last month I have been having severe lower abdominal cramping, lower back pain & bloating, No bleeding. Been trying to figure out what it could be, getting worse & getting ready to make an appointment to find out whats going on. Happy to here i'm not alone, however I hope a hysterectomy is not in my near future!!
I am a nurse.  IN 1999 I had a tubal ligation.  Then I began to have very heavy periods years later.  My uterine lining measured thick and my GYN's answer was the Nova Sure Oblation.  That was done in Janaury of 2012.  About a year later I started to experience cramping with some slight discharge.  I was told not to worry, take Advil my uterus was just "stubborn".  Those were the GYN's exact words.  In July I experenced pain that about brought me to my knees.  It was moments really but I was working in my ED and ignored it.  This past week while taking PALS with my colleagues I again started experiencing pain to the point I almost passed out.  My co- workers insisted I go to the ER and get checked out.   I was in fact experencing post oblation syndrome and had to have an emergency hysterectomy.  No joking I was so close to being septic.   Do not ignore or let a doctor ignore this pain, see someone and if they don't respond see someone else.   A hysterectomy may be life saving!!
i am having the same , after 5 yrs now spotting for 3 days a week non stop every week, i feel hot all the time,i have been in the er with spinning and vertigo, i feel like i have a infection in my body somewhere my ear dr was the only one who would listen, he gave me antibiotics no bleeding for 20 days then it started all over again. my obgyn who did the procedure doesnt seem to care alls he says is maybe i just  need a hysterectomy im 48 and this is not an option as long as i can help it. i have started gaining weight since this started 10 lbs in 2 mo. all my labs are perfect the ultrasound came back normal but i still know my body there is something having to do with novisure procedure. does anyone know if there is a lawsuit started for this?    
I am glad I found this! I had an ablation and tubal in 2006. I haven't had any periods since no cramping nothing... I was relieved because I was having periods months at a time. But in the last couple months I have had a clumpy discharge which I thought was a yeast infection dr checked me said no infection or anything like that just a normal discharge.... In the last few days I suddenly started cramping like I was going to get my period but nothing... My lower abdomen feels bloated and the lower back pain is just like the beginning of labor!!!! I went to the ER where the checked for uti and nothing. They said I had a "pain issue" I'm beyond pissed because I feel like they thought I was making it up. My lower back is killing me, I can't get comfortable I feel like I need to push or something I even took laxative thinking I might be constipated or something and still no relief!!!! I haven't done anything to cause back pain and it all started with cramping! Could it be from my ablation 8 years ago?????
I had a tubal in 2002 and ablation in 2012.  I was fine at first, no periods or pain, 2 months ago I started having what felt like period cramps.  2 weeks later, the cramps felt like contractions.  I go to the OBGYN and he does his ultra sound and exam....uterin cysts and a fibroid cyst on my uteris, that would not cause the pain I was having on my lower left side.  He sends me to the Internist who does a colonoscopy and an endo.  I polyp removed, stomach fine.  He sends me back to a different OBGYN.  I have an appt on Dec. 17.  I am ready to have everything taken out, I can not handle the pain anymore.  Due to taking Naproxin so much, the internist found inflammation in my colon so I can not take anything but Tylenol.
I also have been bloated and the pain is worse at night.  I go to the gym 5 days a week in the early morning and no pain until after lunch.  I also would take laxatives thinking that was the problem, with no relief.  Did anyone have a hysterectomy and did it take the pain away?  How about your sex life?
Unfortunately, ablation can cause pain years after the procedure especially if it is done years before menopause. One woman was told by her doctor that it should not be done on women under age 50. He was disgusted to see so many young women undergoing the procedure.

The hormonal action of the ovaries tells the lining to continue to build. But the scarring from the ablation causes the blood to get trapped behind the scarring which can cause pain. So the intended result of the procedure (lighter or no periods) is a double-edged sword. Another mechanism is that the cervix can become stenotic from the procedure so any blood that is not stuck behind scarring cannot escape. Some women have their cervix stented open periodically to allow the trapped blood to escape thereby relieving their pain. This may be worth a try for those of you with a stenotic cervix.

As far as hysterectomy, it has its own set of permanent adverse effects. I had one 8 years ago and regret it every day. It has changed every aspect of my life and body. I now have the altered figure that is inevitable after they cut the pelvis' support structures (uterine ligaments). Not only does this make for a boxy figure, it also causes chronic back, hip, and rib cage pain. Thankfully, I have not had the typical post-hysterectomy weight gain. My bowels have been screwed up ever since. My sex life is dismal because I no longer have libido and orgasms are absent or disappointing. I also aged horrifyingly fast.

With the gross overuse of hysterectomy and all its permanent and progressive problems, please be sure to do your research about the lifelong functions of the female organs.
They found on me that I have blocked Fallopian tubes from the novasure ablation.  I had tubal ligation also back in 2002. My white blood cell count has been high for a whwhile I had ablation 2 1/2 yrs ago now they think that's why.  So far the option to fix it is to remove the affected tube or in my case both tubes. They don't know what kind of damage that does to the ovary though.  Think there's gonna be a lawsuit against novasure
Have them check your Fallopian tubes it's called post ablation hydrosalpinx causes fluid build up in ur tubes.  That's why I've been getting horrible cramps.  Going to see gyn soon had ultrasound CT scans and MRI. All say same thing. Not uncommon I guess
Oh yes, thanks for the reminder, sherrima. Ablation can also cause fluid or blood to back up into the Fallopian tubes (hydrosalpinx or retrograde menstruation).

A 2007 study addresses the "Long-term complications of endometrial ablation: cause, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention." There are additional studies about the long-term effects of ablation. Although ablation as sold as a hysterectomy alternative, it actually increases the risk for hysterectomy due to its long-term complications. A 2008 study puts that risk at 40% in women who had an ablation before age 40. And unfortunately, the ablation complications can manifest years after the ablation and worsen as time goes on so the risk for hysterectomy increases for at least 8 years (the follow-up period of the study). Bottom line - Ablation is turning out to be more of a hysterectomy trap than alternative.

I did not have an ablation but did have a hysterectomy and it has its own set of long-term and permanent adverse effects.
I am so happy to find this. I been telling my family and doctors about my symptoms and they been looking at me like I'm crazy. I told a male Gyn last year how I was feeling he brushed it off. 2weeks ago my daughters had to rush me to urgent care. Pain had me on my knees and in tears. The Dr did a full CT of my midsection. He was looking for ulcers and other things. He came back told me I had a UTI and a small fibroid on my uterus. Gave me antibiotics and a pain medication.Then he advised me to see my Gyn. Went to the gyn more pain meds and zoloft was given to me. She ordered a pelvic ultrasound I have to get this Friday. God please help me I'm so sick of hurting and being bloated.
I had an ablation in 2008.  Everything was great for the first couple of years, then I started to bleed heavier again.  I also have very irregular periods now.  Could go a couple months or it could be two weeks apart.  Even if I don't actually bleed I have horrible cramping and low back pain along with a bloated and heaviness feeling.  I've had a couple of ultrasounds just to be told nothing major is going on.  A small functioning cyst on my ovary.  When returning to the gyn that did the procedure I was told its my age (early 40s) and said I should go on the pill.  So I've been suffering for a few years.  Just putting up with it.  Until this week.  I had 3 days of continuous cramping and low back pain.  It feels like labor pain and nothing helps to relieve the pain.  So back to another doctor I go.  Had another ultrasound today.  We'll see what happens this time.  I'm just so tired of dealing with the pain.
I had an ablation and ligation about 3 years ago and in the past 6 months have had severe lower left sided pain radiating to the back.  Today was the worst yet.  Fetal position with severe pain.  I'm glad I just googled and read all of this.  I had no idea so many women have had so many problems after these procedures.  Making an OB appt tomorrow!  
I had a tubal 35 yrs ago and the Endo Ablation about 12 yrs ago. I continued each month to get the moodiness, bloating and other PMS symptoms every 28 days, but no period. But last yr, post menopause, at 62, I began to have severe cramping on about an 18 day cycle. It worsened with each month. A Fl gyno  did a D &C, which did nothing to correct this. I saw my Mi  gyno 6 months later,  who said to simply take PMS  and pain pills. Ultra sounds showed no concerns and one ovary did not show at all. Now these monthly cycles are becoming like labor and putting me in bed for a couple of days. No med nor pain pill helps. So I am at a loss as to what to do. Thx to everyone on this forum for supporting each other when our gyno doctors look at us as though we are crazy. I am likewise posting this for those whose ablations were quite some time ago, and who are dealing with the same symptoms.
I have a lot of the same problems but the dr. could not get the small tube in to my uterus to see what the problem is and the insurance says that they are denying the hysterectomy.  my chart says that I have strong pains because the opening of my uterus is closed.  so i was wondering what your dr. put down to get you approved.
Wow, my symptoms are so similar to all of the others here.  I hit puberty at age 10, and my periods have always been painful and heavy.  I had my tubes tied in 2005 and the ablation in October of 2011 (age 39). I opted for the Nova Sure ablation after my GYN at The Vancouver Clinic talked me into taking that route instead of a partial hysterectomy.   Although my periods never stopped -- they were much, much lighter for about a year after the ablation.

In February of 2014, about two and a quarter years post ablation, I was doubled over all of a sudden in horrible contraction-like pain.  It was a pain I had not felt since I had my last child in 2000.  This pain hits every month now, and it lasts several days without fail.   The pain is predictable in the way it plays out.  It starts three to four days into my period, feels like labor contractions that can be timed on a watch/clock, and medications do not alleviate the pain.  I have also noticed the contractions are more painful if I have been moving around a lot (running, exercise class, weight lifting, or even when I get really busy at work as a preschool teacher).  This pain seems to target my left side more than the midsection or right side, but the location of the pain is not always predictable.  I bet I could point to the exact spot that is hurting inside if I cut myself open.

In July of 2014, I went to the ER due to this monthly contraction-like pain getting worse. After a CT scan and pelvic exam (no ultrasound), they found nothing to be abnormal...other than my pain.  (The ER doctors made me feel like I was a liar or exaggerating my level of pain.  It was very frustrating.  Plus, the pain meds they gave me through an IV made me barf everywhere for hours on end.)  The docs thought this could be kidney stones or an ovarian cyst because I told them the pain begins radiating from the lower left quadrant and then fills my entire pelvic cavity.  It seemed to be a huge waste of expensive co-pay.  :(

Anyway, I found myself a new GYN here in Vancouver, WA.  She scheduled a pelvic ultrasound, which was inconclusive because the walls of my uterus fused together due to the ablation.  She did a uterine biopsy, which was terribly painful compared to biopsies I had prior to the ablation.  The little biopsy tube had to punch through my cervix and then up into the uterus which is no longer open.  That procedure was never comfortable before, but this time around, it left me in pain for over a week.
I am scheduled to have a (vaginal) partial hysterectomy  June 29, 2015.  This monthly, contraction-like pain has ruined my life, and I feel as though it is directly related to the ablation.  I would rather deal with the lack of a uterus than what I have dealt with the past couple of years.  I wish I had never had the ablation.

I will write back within the next year to give an update.  That is what I was searching for on this site, and I really did not find what I was looking for other than finding women suffering in very similar (if not exact) ways I have for the past couple of years.  Thanks for sharing your stories!
I'm having very bad cramps since my ablation that was done in April 2014. I was not having cramps prior my endometrial ablation, Now 6 months later I'm having cramps so badly that it feels like lots of pressure in my rectum. My lt side lower abdomen has been hurting constantly all day long, worst in the morning..since Tuesday of this week Oct 29, 2015. I have a future doctors appointment Monday to see what are my options. Thanks for everyones input.
I had a tubal ligation in august 2002 after a c-section which caused very heavy periods for 13 years my obgyn talked me into the novasure wand procedure,so far so good had an easy recovery, mild ordor and no periods until today i started with a very light period pinkish tinge no cramping or discomfort its been 6 weeks i had the ablation sept 14th hopefully i dont turn out to have the same issues as all these woman, fingers crossed if any major changes happen ill be back, GL all!
I had a D&C Ablation and tubal ligation back in Sept. 2015 .. didnt have the best of luck with it... had to have it done because of months and months of bleeding and pain.. well now for the past few days i have had nothing but pain on my left side and around my back ... after having some test done i had found out that i have a bad infection and lots of stuff in my urine that isnt suppose to be there... i had some ultrasounds done today and will find out results Monday.. but did find out that i have fluid in my uterus and cyst on my ovaries that were not there before... .. im just so tired of pain and test but hopefully my doc will find out what all this is and i can get some results soon.. i will let you guys know. best of luck to all!!!
I am so happy to have found this information. I had a tubal done in 2003 after the birth of my son and started having pain in my lower right abdomen, so in dec 2011 my gyn suggested novasure, it was ok for a while but now the pain will put me down for a week or longer.  I honestly feel like something inside me flips over on the right side and flips back, then the pain starts.  I have been to the er several times, they told my husband i was addicted to pain pills, which he laughed at them because i am allergic to the majority of the pain pills on the market and to my gyn, who told me its scar tissue under my right lung causing the pain in my lower right side, no where near my lung!!  For years now i have been living with this pain and honestly thought i was going crazy, and i know my mom and sisters think its all in my head too. But after reading this, i finally feel confident that its not in my head.  Thank you all for sharing and for letting those of us living with this pain know we arent alone!!
I had an ablation don't in Aug 2014. I never had a period after the ablation. In September 2015 I began to have severe pelvic pain. My pain felt like I was in labor. I found out through a ct scan and ultra sound that there was a tumor inside my uterus. On December 3, 2015 I had to have a robotic hysterectomy. They removed my tubes, uterus, cervix.  The hysterectomy has so far been a blessing. Pathology repot came back and basically after having the ablation done (which is a horrible idea for anyone to have done) my body was still trying to have a period because not all of the endometrial lining was removed like it was supposed to be. My uterus basically filled up over the last year with period blood which was causing all of the pain. Please, please, please ladies. Look at other options before you decide to have an ablation done. The obgyn doctors only tell you the good about it which doesn't last long and ends up horribly bad!!
I had my procedure done in August 2015 for 2 months now I've expirienced severe pelvic pain :(
I thought it was my sciatica nerve acting up but now I see that what you described is exactly my side effects.
The burning pelvic pain that goes toward my back and run down my legs more so the left leg.
It's been very painful.  I will be going in to the doctor asap will keep you posted!
I had a tubal in Aug., 2007. In Aug., 2015 I had the NovaSure ablation done because of heavy periods/clots that would last 7-10 days twice a month. Since the ablation I've only had spotting on the first day of what should be my period, other than that I have no bleeding. Starting in Oct., 2015 I started having constant nausea, bloating, diarrhea/constipation, and weight gain. I never contacted my gyno about this bc I just figured it would go away with time. Well on March 2, 2016, I started having mild abdominal cramping that went away with 600mg Motrin. On March 3, 2016, the pain was so severe I ended up in the ER with an IV and morphine for the pain! They did a CT scan that didn't show anything except a fatty liver. I told the Dr none of my pain was up by my liver, it was ALL in my ovaries. They dismissed me with instructions to see my gyno, which I did. He did a pelvic exam and said I had a cyst on my ovary that ruptured and he wanted to monitor me. Well here it is April 2, 2016, and my pain is severe again!! It's worse than any of my labor! I had to take 1200mg of Motrin to get any relief. That was about 5-6 hrs ago and I'm starting to have pain again. I work at an elementary school so I can't afford to miss days bc of pain that I've never had before. I'm calling my gyno first thing Monday morning bc I know a trip to the ER will get me no where. Even as a teenager I never had period cramps like this!!!
I had ablation about 5 years ago and the past year has been on and off severe lower right side cramping. Each time it lasts longer in duration than before. The first severe episode was October and the hospital couldn't find anything wrong. My gyn said it is fibroids and is scheduling a robotic hysterectomy but not till September. That has been fine until this weekend when I've been suffering for two days with major cramps.
I too am having all the same issues. As of 4/4/16 I was told by the gyno that this "pain" I am experiencing does not normally go to the "left" side, it's normally all right sided. Well let me tell you I know where my pain is, where it starts and where it is most of the time. Yes I have felt it literally move from left to right but mostly stays to to the left. They want to keep doing std tests and pelvic exams but #1 I highly doubt it's an std and the 1st 2 pelvic exams didn't show you anything another isn't gonna either. Mine don't have any pattern to them, they come every now and aga in but this latest one is going on 3 weeks long. Some days doubling me over and others I can deal with. Now I have to wait a week so the gyno can consult my family Dr. Because the gyno thinks it's and endo issue.  So this is what we have to deal with because we all wanted period relief. Ugh! I sure hope someone can update as to if and how they got relief. I prefer NOT to have a partial or even full hysterectomy if it can be avoided.
Hi, had my procedure done in September 2014. I've been having all the same problems since then! Drs.have been playing the guessing game not sure of what to do or recommend. I pray someone can help us all soon!!
I had the ablation in 2014. Pain started 6 weeks ago, like labor pain. This past week, I am mostly bed ridden with a heating pad and narcotics because the pain is so severe.  The hemotemetra I now have is not removable except through a hysterectomy. I get this at the end of this week. Ablation is a  BAD idea! I've had 3 kids, naturally, and this beats that pain.    
Had my ablation about 8 years ago. My pain started 6 months ago and is getting worse. Also have a hematotera and the gym said last week the only option is a hysterectomy. Waiting for a surgery date. Have to say labor was easier than this pain.