Post surgical issues following an ectopic pregnancy and fallopian tube ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Post surgical issues following an ectopic pregnancy and fallopian tube removal

I have been in pain management for a little over 5 years now. Currently I take 50mg of Nucynta up to 6 X a day for BTP and am using a Fentanyl transdermal patch at 25mcg/h X every 72 hours. On April 9, 2012 (about 8 weeks ago) I was told I was pregnant. On April 10, 2012 i had to go to the ER due to severe cramping and bleeding. I was told that I was likely having a miscarriage and that my HCG count was around 400 and there was no visible inter-uterine pregnancy noticeable. I was sent home and old to follow up with my PCM  in two days for a HCG count re-check. I was still in pain and still bleeding and two days later on April 12, 2012 i went in for my follow-up and due to the fact I was still in pain and bleeding, I was sent via ambulance to a different ER. Upon arrival I was made to feel like a junkie, which really sucked, and completely humiliated by the ER doc who decided to perform a pelvic exam out in the open with nothing but a curtain between me and the other patients in the ER. I was the told, well you still have no visible pregnancy in your uterus on the ultrasound, but your HCG count has increased to 580. They told me to follow up with a OB/GYN and sent me home. About three days later I went to see this OB i had never seen before, who told me the same thing, there is no inter-uterine pregnancy, so I need to send you to the ER because it could be an ectopic pregnancy. So I went back to the ER i had originally went to on April 10th. There I was told that i had for sure miscarried and that my HCG count was almost zero. i was told to go home and get a follow up with my PCM, again. So on April 25, 2012 I had mt follow up, where my docotr said she was concerned because i was still bleeding and in pain. I got an appointment that same day with a different OB/GYN. When I got there she did the ultrasound/pelvic exam, and told me i was bleeding internally due to an ectopic pregnancy in my right Fallopian tube which was rupturing and I needed emergency surgery and had me go to yet another ER to be admitted. I was told not eat, drink, or take anymore of my medications. When i got the ER and was finally admitted to the surgical floor I was informed that they would not be giving me anything for pain because i was in pain management and had pain medication already- even though i was not allowed to take them. When i woke up from surgery i remember how bad it hurt and crying uncontrollably. I remember a nurse telling me everything went ok but my right Fallopian tube had to be removed. I was then told i needed to get up and get dressed, that i was being sent home. I think i was in shock. I had to get help getting up, walking to the restroom, going to bathroom, and getting dressed and the pain was insane. I asked for pain medication and was told my doctor said no and left me prescription to fill for Norco 5/325. I asked why i was being sent home right after the surgery and the response I got was " even if you were admitted the only pain medications you would be given is the Norco"; I wanted to scream, I didn't ask them about pain medicine I asked why i was being sent home. I was sent home without discharge instructions or told what to look out for, or told to return for whatever symptoms or issues. i was simply told follow up in a week with your OB/GYN and to keep the surgical sites clean- i was told to be careful because stitches were not used, that dermabond was used to close the incisions. I made the follow up for the following week about 6 days after the surgery. At this point I still couldn't lay down comfortably or stand without help. As far sitting goes it was out of the question. On my way to the doctors appointment i cried all the way there. Trying to sit in the doctors office was horrid as well; When the doctor came in the room she had me lay back and seemed irritated at how slow i was moving. She did a pelvic and an ultrasound (internally which were both insanely painful. She then peeled away some of the dermabond which hurt as well. i asked her what kind of damage there was inside me when she did the surgery, that caused my Fallopian tube to need to be removed. Her responce was confusing, she said that the tube was dilated and filled with blood. that was it. She told me to remove the rest of the dermabind by showering and just scrubing like I normaly would. I asked her if they wounds were already healed and she told me yes. four days after the follow up visit, all thee surgical sites were draining fluid and infected. The pain is insane. Which brings us current. One of the sites has finally healed. two fo them are still painful to the touch and movement. I keep trying to drain them, clean them, and dress them daily and nothings working. I have noticed what looks like string coming out of both sites along with the infection. To top everything off about 5 days ago I started have really bad pain in my lower right side in both my abdomen.pelvic region, and my back, and its getting worse. i have tried several times to get an appointment to get antibiotics but was told unless i let them do a pelvic exam they would prescribe the medications based solely on a visual exam. I am tired, scared, anxious, and am trying to decide what i should do. i do not want to be poked, prodded, probed, or swabbed anymore. It hurts to much. So i am trying to get advice on whether or not I should go to the ER again, or if this normal and is something that will pass with time.