Pregnancy and Klonopin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pregnancy and Klonopin

Hi, I'm currently taking a low dosage of Klonopin (2mg/day)to treat anxiety/panic attacks. I've been taking it for 2 months (it started out of the blue.) Is there anyone who was on it before they got pregnant? I'd really like to have a baby soon but am terrified of what will happen when I stop taking the medication. Wondering if there's a similar drug that's safe (know that's unlikely) or if anyone's been in the same circumstance? thanks!
I HAVE NOT TAKEN THAT BUT I HAVE TAKEN XANAX WHICH IS IN THE SAME CLASS OF DRUGS. THEY ARE VERY ADDICTING. I TOO WAS TAKING A VERY LOW DOSE AND I TOOK IT FOR 2 WEEKS AND TRIED TO GET OFF AND COULD NOT. IT TOOK ALMOST A YEAR. i CURSE THE DOCTOR THAT EVER GAVE IT TOO ME. I WOULD NOT TRY TO GET PREGNANT TILL I WAS OFF FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN FUNCTION OK OFF IT. I KNOW THAT BABIES BORN TO MOTHERS THAT TAKE THESE DRUGS CAN BE BORN ADDICTED TO THEM ALSO AND EXPERIENCE WITHDRAWELS. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!
When you try coming off of the meds you dont want to quit cold turkey.  Try slowly comming off of them, such as one every other day for the first week or two.  Then maybe one every three days.  I dont know how many times a day you take the meds so that depends too...if you take it twice a day maybe you should cut back to one a day then every other day. Talk to your doctor about it though...and you definately dont want to go into withdrawl (withdrawal) or cause the meds to affect a baby if you get pregnant.  Check out safefetus.com for info on meds and OTC meds that the FDA has tested.  Good Luck!
I was on klonopin for a year taking 20mg a day which is the maximum amount. I am now pregnant and when i found out I was taken off immediately. Obviously I don't know if it has effected the fetus because I haven't had any tests or anything but my OB isn't concerned I guess we will just have to see. Good luck though.
Did you have withdrawal symptoms stopping it all of a sudden? I was taking 1.5 mg a day for the last 2 months and have been cutting them this week by 3/4 so a total of 1.125 a day. Hopefuly in the next week or two I can cut them in half and will be down to .75/day. So far I feel good. I tried going cold turkey once which was BAD. Wish I'd read all these posts first about tapering them down. thanks for your comments
Glad to hear you are feeling good.  Hope every thing works out!!
Yes I did have withdrawals. I had extreme migranes (migraines), vomitting, dizziness. All I wanted was to lie in be. but it didn't seem to help either. It took about 1-2 weeks to feel fine.
i am 26 and i am 9 weeks pregnant i take effexor 75mg and klonopin .5mg , my doctor has advised me to ween off but i know i am not able to function without it . i am going through this pregnany alone because my husband just left for iraq for a year . my biggest worry is that i could be carring mutiples .....what are the effects on a baby and would it be better if i stop the klonopin and just stay on the effexor
I am 26 and take 0.5 klonopin every night for sleep. I was taking 3 a day and managed to get down to 1. I have been trying to stop this medicine for over 9 months but have found it very hard I have gotten myself down to 1 every night but after a few weeks it's the same withdrawns can't sleep pounding heart shaking & nervousness-panic attacks. I have tried to stop cold turkey that is impossiable. I  found out that I was 5 weeks pregnant and recently had a miscarriage.  I would like to know if maybe this medicine is the cause for my miscarriage.

I recently learned I am pregnant and have been on Klonopin for 5 years! I take a relatively  low dose (.5 x 3 daily); however, my doc wants me off them ASAP. Make sure you talk to a Doctor to taper down; going cold turkey can cause seizures- this is much more serious a threat for you and your baby. I'll be Klonopin-free in 4 more days.

I'll tell you, the withdrawal effects are not pleasant. I'm having severe anxiety borderline panic attacks in public with severe trembling all over and headaches. I'm concerned for fetal development though, and would cut off even sooner if it weren't for seizure risk. Fortunately, I'm a teacher and off this summer, so I can be a bit of a hermit while I tear free of this drug. Wish I would have tried to go off when i first started trying to conceive. Good luck to you all!
Hi I just found out I am pregnant for almost 5 weeks, I also take the max dose of 20mg Klonopin. I cut down to two for the last two weeks but its hard. How did your pregnancy turn out? I am so scared of birth defects I read. Everyone I ask gives me unclear feedback because they were not in this situation some never even used this drug. Is your baby ok?

I also wanted to know did anyone else went through a full pregnancy with klonopin in first two months?How did it turn out? Is the baby ok?
Hi Brooksie67,

I have been on Klonopin .5mg 3x a day for 5 years.  I also take Paxil.  This is for panic disorder.  I just found out today I am pregant.  Maybe 4 weeks along.  My psychiatrist wants me off Klonopin ASAP because of birth defects.  I am so scared of the withdrawls. I am not able to miss work and have not functioned without Klonopin in so long.  I used to have severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.  Can you tell me how long it has taken to you get almost Klonopin free?  In what increments did you taper down?
hey littleladybug

I also was on Klonopin 0.5 for general anxiety and panic disorder.  My OB advised me to stop the medication.  however my panic attacks kept coming and i unfortunatley had a very stressful pregnancy (personal not medical)  he then advised me that taking such a low dose when i felt a panic attack coming would be fine, but also it would be beneficial for me to calm down then it would to not take it.  Im due in january, i have had multiple ultrasound specificall to check to deformities on the face and limbs, and the baby is just fine.  If you need the medication for panic attacks take it when your completely stressed out, but you don't need something like that everyday.  that will also help ween you off the meds as well, and your baby will not be addicted to is.  
Hope this helps
Wow you think your terrified.. I think I am losing it. I just found out I was pregnant, only because I get Botox injections for migraines every 3 months and they make you take a mandatory pregnancy test before hand as liability reasons.  I have a lot of factors against me..  first i have no idea if there is still Botox in my system from the injections 3 months ago?  As it was only 2 months after the injections that I conceived.

2nd strike is For the migraines which I have so extremely bad its like a brain tumor as a result of an accident way back.. I have been on Imitrex, Tramadol oh 2 tablets 3 x a day per the neurologist and percocet off and on as needed.  

Okay then I was on klonopin 0.5 almost daily but a lot of time I forgot to take it, really I used it to prevent attacks because a year ago I found out I was pre-menopausal and started having hot-flashes and woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was having a heartattack, my husband had to drag our 2 little girls out of bed and take me to the ER as i was sure it was doom and gloom only to find  out its anxiety.

Finally I am going to be 40 this year, so that is quite a strike against me.

I wasn't planning on anymore children as I am not to sure how this happened considering the kids sleep with us almost every night.  So I don't even remember, I'm sure it was a few drinks (which is how I have always got pregnant)! .. yes another strike as I have drank several times unknowingly as well.

I have so many mixed feelings and am terrified of birth defects etc... but also I am terrified for my physical abilities on how I will handle this.  All I can do is say my prayers and that God will do what is meant.  

I think it is the Klonopin that has scared me the most, the fact that I was taking it and didn't know.  I have stopped everything except I cut down the tramadol because I didn't want my body to go in total shock. I pray to have a healthy child and that I don't miscarry (this is my 6th pregnancy, i have had a few ectopic) and only 2 were successful.

And that I have had horrible cramps for the past 3 wks but its mostly in my back and at night. And my headaches are worse than ever.

I don't know if anyone has any positive re-enforcement maybe they could send me some input or even words of wisdom or success stories.. I think the more horror stories I hear the worse I feel, as I am sure most in this boat.
I'm so glad I am not the only one, I found out I was pregnant last week. I'm according to my last period 5 week and 4 days pregnant. I'm 25 and since Iwas 15 I've been dealing with panic attacks. I was on Lexapro and 1 mg of Klonopin only when it was necesary which lately was like every other day. Since last week I've been out of both of them and WHAT A NIGHTMARE! I start feeling the withdrawal symptoms since yesterday. My doctor recommend me to take Prozac instead of Lexapro but to try to stay off the Klonopin. I was feeling so bad today that I had to take it, I cut it in 4 parts though! i felt so guilty! I'm so scare. I started Prozac yesterday so my doctor told me to give prozac a chance to kick in but no klonopin. I wish the ladies whowrote before who were taking it had their babies and if they are ok and safe. Of course I won;t try to take klonopin again. I know I will probably have panic attacks otmorrow but I'm praying I won't. Im trying to be strong for the baby but in the moment is just hard not to take it. I won;t take it tomorrow I promise but i took today, would there be any birth defects? I;ve been taking this last month too and i stopped when i found out  and as is aid i took one this afternoon, Im terrified!
I also just found out I am 5 weeks along, taking 0.5mg in the am and .75mg in the evening. I am terrified to go off of them becasue it has worked so well for me in the past year. I tried the whole "cold turkey" thing and that was HORRIBLE. Anyone out there actually have a baby while on klonopin?? I would like to see how they made out as well as the baby???
I took Klonopin for the first 7 mos of my first pregnancy. Btwn 0.5-2mg/day for anxiety and then switched OBGYNs - who switched me to Ambien instead for the last 2 mos. My daughter is perfect - now almost 3. I am 8 mos pregnant with second daughter and been taking Ambien throughout pregnancy and occassionally taking 0.5mg Klonopin. For those out there on Klonopin, it maybe best to cut down to 1 or .5mg if possible and keep it at low doses rather than stressing about eliminating it. But - so you know - you can have a healthy baby even if you've been taking low doses of Klonopin for the first two trimesters.  
Thank you, your post was very reassuring!
I was on Klonopin 2mg for the whole pregnancy and my baby is a healthy, smart 11 month old.
Unless you abuse it --do not worry!
Thank you all so, so much for your posts.  I am 20 wks and still on my AD.  I stopped my klonopin before pg, but my attacks just went through the roof.  I was on very small amt .5 at night only.  I just got off the phone with my midwife and she said to take it if I have a major attack.  She said there is no need to suffer and she can't see where it would hurt now that I am in the 2nd trimester.  I am going to try hyponotherapy tomorrow AM 1st to see if that works instead.  But I feel better already just knowing I have a back up plan.  Obviously, no meds is best, but when you have an illness, you have an illness...and when I panic I feel the poor little one kicking me hard.  He can't like panic attacks any more than I do!  
I have been using 1mg Klonopin to help with my anxiety and sleep problems. I usually only take it when I need it, which has been maybe once or twice a week. Lately, I havent had to use it in over two weeks. I am 12 weeks pregnant and everyone I have spoken with said not to use it but I need it sometimes. I want to do what is best for the baby and feel so incredibly guilty when I have to take it. I hope my infrequent use is the one thing that is on my side. Im not sure. Does anyone else use it as infrequently as I do and not on a regular basis?
I am 11 weeks and have taken .25 mg once per week.  I take it when I need it when I get stressed and fear having a panic attack at work.  I consider this infrequent, though I wish it was less frequent.  I feel guilty like many others, but my OB said taking it as needed, at a low dose, should be okay.  He also said it may help out my husband too, and chuckled.  So my doc was fairly reassuring, though he'd prefer I'd use something safer like Benadryl if possible, or Vistaril.  I have yet to try Vistaril, but may try it later on.  Yes, your infrequent use is a big plus.  I am always questioning what I've done, or taken, but years of Klonopin and quitting Effexor at 5 weeks pregnant (which caused anxiety on its own) have made this a gradual process for me.  It's hard not to judge myself, though.
i am trying to get pregnant and have to get off my meds-Paxil and Klonopin.  With my psychiatrist;s help, I have been weening slowly off the Paxil first and then will start the Klonopin...The side effects from the withdrawl (withdrawal) off Paxil is unbelievable!  I was diagnosed at 10 with Panic Disorder and am 29 now.. I have been on Paxil for 15 years and Klonopin for 13 years.  I am having a really hard time getting off the low dose of Paxil and havent even started getting off the Klonopin yet. My OBGYN said that there are other drugs available to take and get pregnant...Right now I am on .5 mg of Klonopin daily and am on my 3rd day off Paxil, but that is not going well-extreme emotional swings, crying for no reason, and brain zaps...so my dr. is upping me to 2.5 mg of Paxil a day to ease the withdrawls.  It is extremely frustrating and hopefully will get better soon...good luck to those of you who have succeeded and let me know how you are doing these days!! Take care and always consult a doctor BEFORE getting off these medications!!!
I am a chronic pain patient who has also had severe panic disorder.  Going off of paxil caused the worst withdrawals I have ever had in my life, and I've taken some pretty heavy hitters.  I went from 100 mu of Fentanyl (that is like 100 "mg" of morphine, except Fentanyl is 10 times stronger than morphine, so you can see it's a huge deal, and I was on it for 3 1/2 years) to none at all in 6 months, and it wasn't that bad.  Just sweaty.  It took me two entire years to get off of 40 mg. of Paxil, and I did that literally at the end by taking a tiny sliver once every two weeks.  It was brutal.  I can go on and off of high doses of percocet and it's like, no biggie, but Paxil- never again.  

I had to take several meds in my first viable pregnancy, and I am about 3 weeks along this time and taking Klonopin occasionally for sleep/panic.  I won't be taking it probably more than today- I can handle the level of panic I get, I'm just waiting for my sleep med script to come through.  But it does make me feel very guilty and scared.  During my pregnancy with my little daughter here, I took Ativan during the second trimester (when it's "safest") and Doxepin at various times.  Actually, I seem to recall that before I realized I was pregnant I'd taken Ativan, so that was about as early as now.  The studies are conflicting, I pray everything is okay for all of us and our babies.  It's just so hard to find out info because it isn't ethical to actually do blind studies with pregnant women.  

Best of luck!
I am 8 weeks pregnant. I take .5 of Klonapin maybe once a week for panic attacks, I am waiting to talk to doctor about a safer alternative. I have horrible anxiety which spirals out of control until I think horrible things and almost lose touch with reality. When this happens I take a .5 and it settles me down. I dont take it every day. Is there still a risk of birth defects. Has anyone had a healthy baby on Klonapin or spoken to a doc who says its o.k to take once in a while?
I have taken Klonapin off and on for my entire pregnancy. Usually about .5 a miligram once or twice a week. When i have a really bad attack I take one to 1.5 miligrams (but very rarely)! I have had 3 sonograms and 1 3d sono. They all turned out very well. My doctor is the one who said that my panic attacks need something when they are sever. Which they are at times. I am greatful for all your posts cause i was feeling very alone!
i am 9 weeks pregnant and i have been taking klonopin for about 8years. i have had 2u/s already and i have been to a genetic counelor and she told me to stay on my klonopins since there are no signs of birth defects with this medication. also she said the effects and withdrawls and possible seizures that can happen from not taking the klonopin are a greater risk for problems then taking it. i hope the information i got helps out others because when she told me this it really put my mind at ease..
my doctor let me stay on my klonopin i am 2 months along and i am allowed 3 a day of the .5s i am a mess without them but i do not want to hurt my baby.  is my doctor a nut or is it ok i dont know what to do??????????????help
I am 35 years old and have a healthy 7 month old baby girl and took .5 of a klonopin daily through my whole pregnancy.. I read these post the whole pregnancy and felt scared much like most of you.  
I did try to come off at first but it was way too difficult for me.  My doctors, OB and Psychiatrist recommended I stay on.
I am now pregnant again and I will continue to take the medication....  I am not going to add the stress of trying to come off this time.  
I will post my outcome after baby number 2 is born.
I felt a significant amount of relief in finding others who have suffered with anxiety/panic disorder while pregnant here. I had been taking .5mg of klonopin as a prn for approximately 8 years, and stopped taking it in May when I found out I was pregnant. I did ok initially but then the attacks started again in the 2nd trimester. I'm now in my last trimester, and feel like I'm losing my mind. I've gone on Buspar, which initially took the edge off, but I am now suffering almost daily from anxiety attacks which I'm finding almost crippling. My OB said to take the klonopin only if needed (contradicting the advice of my psychiatrist.)I have taken a half of a half of a .5 mg pill in an attempt to get myself together, but I feel horribly guilty doing so because I'm so afraid my baby will suffer as a result. To top it off, I had an unusually high nuchal fold measurement at 11 weeks, and while all tests since then have come out normal, I still fear there may be something wrong. I have been counting down the days until this baby comes so I can not only go back to feeling normal, but make sure she's ok. I've obsessively scoured the internet for more recent info on this subject and would welcome feedback from moms who have been through this as well...
Reading this all makes me feel better. I am 12 weeks along first pregnancy and have been taking klonopin AS NEEDED since I was 18 years old I am now 25. I dont take it that often maybe on average one time a week about 1 mg. sometimes more if the week is stressful. I am so scared about the effects and my Boyfriend hates the fact I take it sometimes! This stresses me out even more!

I have not been able to go to my docter yet due to a lapse is insurance staring a new job. So I go for my first apt. in abouta wekk I will be 13 weeks! I am scared. So by reading this all has made me feel a bit better that there are ladies out there that have taken in in low doses and been fine, or even had their docter say it is ok if needed. Do you think my baby is going to me ok!!!!?
Hello everyone.  After reading these forums, I would like to share my experience with anxiety while pregnant. When I got pregnant with my daughter in 2007, I was taking 1.5 mg of Klonopin a day.  I was also taking 20 mg of Lexapro for my OCD and depression.  Like many of you, I was terrified when I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks. I read up on the possible birth effects associated with these meds and tried to quickly taper.  Unfortuneately, it led to severe withdrwals. I found a therapist who specalized in pregnancy and psyciatric medications. After talking with her, I felt confident to go back on the Klonopin for the remainder of my pregnancy. She told me the risks were extremely minimal, and that the baby would suffer more as a result from unmanaged panic.  I am a registered nurse myself, so weighing the risks is something I did not take lightly. I also did a lot of my own research and found that there really has been no evidence that benzodiazepines cause birth defects in humans.
I did stress and worry at times during the pregnancy even though my therapist reassured me the baby would be fine. I think it is a mother's instinct to worry whether or not your on these medications.

On Feb, 5, 2008, my daughter was born a healthy 7 pounds 7 ounces with no birth defects or withdrawal whatsover...her APGARS were 9 and 10! She is now 2 1/2 and exceptionally bright for her age.  Her pediatrican tells me she is advanced in all areas of development even though I took Klonopin throughout my pregnancy.

I am now 5 weeks pregnant with my second child and taking Klonopin.  I have faith the this baby will fine too. I hope my story can help ease the mind of all of you who are worried about your baby having birth defects. Find a good therapist who knows what they are talking about. Avoid reading negative articles or forums.  Most people in the gereal population have no idea what they are talking about, and have quoted only what they have read about the possibility of birth defects.  It is MUCH healthier for the the baby to live in a calm envirnonment!
i am 5 weeks pregnant and have been taking .5mg of klonopin twice daily for the past 5 years. i need help! is it safe?
I AM 38 YEARS OLD I TOOK 1 MG OF KLIOPIN WITH MY FIRST PREGNANCY. I WAS 35 AT THE TIME AT NO TIME DID I STOP TAKING THE MEDS DUE TO ME HAVING SEIZURES. MY DAUGHTER WHO IS 3 YEARS OLD IS THE MOST PERFECT CHILD NOT EVEN A BITH MARK. NOW THAT I AM 38 I AM 12 WEEKS PREGNANT, I HAVE A NEW OB THE FIRST THING SHE SAID TO ME IS TO GET OFF THE KLIOPIN I REFUSED AND SAW MY OTHER DOCTOR WHO TAKES CARE OF MY SEIZURES. HIS RESPONSE WAS THE DOSAGE I TAKE WILL NOT AFFECT THE BABY. SO WITH THAT AND READING OTHER PEOPLES RESULTS I FEEL BETTER ABOUT ME TAKING KLIOPIN. I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING BAD ABOUT IT. IF YOU TAKE YOUR VITAMINS AND FOLIC ACID YOUR BABY WILL BE FINE.  
I have a friend who is also addicted to xanax and she still took them while she was pregnant. The baby is fine, not one problem. Im also a nursing student and the only reason they tell u not to take them is because they dont know the effect it would have on the baby, because it illegle to test pregnant women. i know im not a doctor so my opinion dont really count, but if u do get pregnant while addicted to xanax or any other pills i think it would be safer for u to continue taking the meds be cause the withdrawls could do more damage that the pills would. and just try winging urself off. I dont get how they can prescribe a pregnant woman antidepressents which have been proven to cause many birth defect but taking xanax is out of the question when nothing has happen to babys born to addicted mothers
I don't recommend this medication whatsoever during pregancy, My daughter was born a month early. weighed 4lbs5oz she is 16 y/o has chronic sinus problems,high palet, thin, Please if u can refrain from this medication DO IT!!. If i would've know what i do now i would never ever have taken it. Hope this advise is helpful.
I took 1-2 mg of Klonopin and 20 mg of Lexapro my entire pregnancy.  I also took ambien the last couple of months to help me sleep.  The last 6 weeks, I weaned my Klonopin down to 1 mg per week.  My baby boy is 16 months now and advanced mentally and physically and gorgeous.  If you are taking low doses of Klonopin and taking care of yourself during your pregnancy, your baby will be fine.  Make sure you take prescription strength prenatal vitamins!  Get plenty of rest, exercise, eat well, and drink a ton of water!!!
@Ronnie39 who said the following:
"I don't recommend this medication whatsoever during pregancy, My daughter was born a month early. weighed 4lbs5oz she is 16 y/o has chronic sinus problems,high palet, thin, Please if u can refrain from this medication DO IT!!. If i would've know what i do now i would never ever have taken it. Hope this advise is helpful."

I really don't think you should beat yourself up about your daughter's current condition. It is extremely doubtful that it has anything to do with any medications you took during your pregnancy. The only thing Klonopin has even been associated with is facial deformities such as cleft lip and palate. However, newer evidence actually does not even suggest a connection between Klonopin and these conditions. To feel that your 16 yr old's sinus problems were caused by Klonopin...well, I can just say that it is exceptionally unlikely. I had a ton of health problems all my life, including being severely underweight to the point of hospitalization and extreme sinus/allergy issues. My mother took NO meds during pregnancy and she even stopped drinking coffee so that I would not be exposed to caffeine! She was very careful and I still had a lot of issues, most of which I finally outgrew.
My point is this: I would think it would be very hard to enjoy your role as the mother of this amazing young woman if you constantly beat yourself up about it and blame her conditions on yourself. I took .5 mg of klonopin during my first pregnancy and my daughter was beautiful and healthy. She was 20.5 inches, 6 pounds, 7 oz. Her Apgar score was 10 BOTH times. She was so alert in the delivery room that the nurses were amazed and everyone was chatting about it. I would not change a thing and in fact, I am pregnant with #2 right now, about 8 weeks along. I will continue Klonopin and have no reason to believe that it will have any different outcome than the 1st time. To all of you out there that are worried: it's normal to be concerned! Try not to make yourself sick with worry...it will definitely negatively impact your baby. Reseach shows that most babies born to mother's using benzodiazipines such as Klonopin have perfectly healthy babies. Hang in there!
Are you currently pregnant with your second child? I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and took Kolonopin 1 mg for the first three months and then stopped. I am having somewhat or a difficult time now with the racing thoughts and panic attacks, i was just wondering if you could give some reassuring advice on the research you have found in regards to kolonopin and pregnancy.
i am 38 years old and am on subutex for opioid dependancy due to 10 years of methadone treatment. i also suffer from p.t.s.d. and was on 3 mg xanax a day. my doc switched me to klonapin when i found out i was pregnangt and cuz the dose to .5 a day. i had 2 babies on methadone, one had withdrawls and the other did not...both are beautiful and healthy at 3 and 9...this pregnancy was a suprise and i just put my faith in god becuse each life is so delicate and precious and even babies whos moms never even took an asprin can be born with defects.  withdrawl (withdrawal) can be worse for the baby and cause miscairrages....so i am 11 weeks and down to .5 a day i pray every day....good luck and god bless all of us
I am 17 weeks pregnant and taking 1.75mg Klonopin. When I found out I was pregnant I was taking 8mg per day. I have been on Klonopin for 11 years!!! I was put on ot for anxiety and sleep after the birth of my first child. I am wondering if it is safe to continue with this dose until delivery or will my baby be born addicted? Also, I was not able to nurse with my first child and would really like to this time. Is Klonopin secreted in breast milk?
I am 34 years old and this is my second pregnancy. I lost the first due to "natural causes," they could not give me an answer, but I was taking xanax for my anxiety the whole time. I could not eat or sleep. I have known women who drink, take hydrocodone, smoked illegal HARD drugs and have still had a perfectly healthy baby. I think its all up to genetics and GOD. PERIOD. As long as you take everything in moderation and only when needed, eat right, exercise, take your vitamins then you will be fine. It's really all up to the stars in my book. I am now pregnant again, 7 weeks, and my first appt is thursday. I have been on klonopin this time, .5 mg and only take them when absolutely necessary. I think its ridiculous to try and cut cold turkey as this will harm you and the baby more.
Reading this blog has really put me at ease.  I found out about a week ago that I am pregnant.  I am on Lexapro and Klonopin for depression and an anxiety disorder.  I was taking 1 mg. of klonopin daily for about five years and my doc. told me to come off of it. I came off too quickly and completely crashed. Hardcore depression, hoplessness, horrible panic.  He put me back on .75 mg and we are going to try and come off of it slowly.  I am worried coming off of it will cause another crash, and it seems to consume me.  But reading these posts, knowing im not alone, and that there are other women who have had healthy babies while on klonopin has really REALLY helped me.  When I was so depressed, I couldnt care for myself, let alone a baby.  Sometimes a chronic condition, like depression or anxiety, just need to be treated with medication.  And while I am going to try my hardest to get off of my meds, I am not going to feel bad or guilty if I cant. And I reccomment everyone do the same.  Thanks for the hope and inspiration.

Helps to read all the posts.  I am 4 weeks pregnant and so worried about causing birth defects from my medications.  I have been taking Klonopin off and on for the past 5 years at least a couple times of week.  I also take Pristic daily.  Psych Dr. wants me to stop klonopin stat.  But then I faced disabling anxiety and was not able to function at all this weekend.  Looking forward to seeing Ob Gyn this week to find something else to help with the anxiety.  Love hearing about the babies that were exposed with no birth defects brings me a lot of hope that this mess will work out.  

Much love and blessing.
Hi everyone,

I has been taken Klonopin for five years. I was 12 and a half weeks pregnant while I take Klonopin 0.75mg, and then I miscarried without a sign. There is no heart beat when I had the first trimester screening ultrasound. It was a shock because doctors told me the dosage is small. I am 39 years old. I feel really sad losing my baby. I do not know if I can have a baby while taking Klonopin. Is this miscarriage due to the age or the meds. Doc said he did not know.
I AM PROUD TO STATE THAT I GAVE BIRTH TO MY BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY ON MAY 18TH AND TOOK KLONOPIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY. ASHTON IS TOTALLY NORMAL AND HEALTHY!! LOVE AND PRAYER TO ALL EXPECTING MOTHERS OUT THERE THAT ARE STUCK IN LIMBO LIKE I WAS, MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
We just found out that my fiance is 5 weeks pregnant and she has been taking klonopin for severe panic attacks for the last five years her dr in my opinion is trying to take her off of the klonopin way too fast. She takes the strongest dose of klonopin that you can take once a day. The dr put her on this regiment to have weened off of klonopin completly in 2 weeks. She has been doing this for a week now by only taking half her dose then next week she is supposed to take half a dose every other day for a week. I personally don't think it is say to come off that drug this quick. Since she has started this she has been really sick and constantly on the verge of having her panic attacks my question is. Is there a better way to ween of of the klonopin and is there a medication that is a safer alternative to the klonopin we really want to know the answers to these because this might be our last chance to have children
Hi! I'm 34 and have been taking .25mg of kolonopin every week day for about 2 years due to severe panic attacks. Just found out we are pregnant with our first child.  OB told me to get off the kolonopin, however that has just made me have more panic attacks, more anxiety and less functioning overall.  I'm scared to death thinking my child will be born c/ some sort of birth defects,  However, when I have a panic attack, I have to take something and antidepressants don't cut it by themselves. In fact, I weaned myself off of Prestiq prior to getting pregnant and that was hell in itself!!! :(  They want me to take Zoloft, but they're are risks there, too.  Good to hear that there are healthy babies being born... Any comforting advise would be greatly appreciated!! :) I read the study which was performed on rabbits and to my understanding they were given much higher doses...Any thoughts?? Prayers to all!
I am currently taking klonopin at almost 5 weeks pregnant. I was on 3mg per day. Now at 1mg. Does the heart racing get better?  I am scared.  Thank u. P.s. I am on effexor 150. Just weaned down to 75 mg of effexor. Any comments will help. Thank u.
Your post has helped me out so much!! Thank you!!
thanks for your  post...I take .25 (half of the lowest dose) a day..its a total of 12 pills of lowest dose a month. Kinda need them for pain management for six herniated discs in neck and two in back, and just found out Im five weeks pregnant? Really would hate to stop? Is this a low enough dose to take during pregnancy? I am aware that I am not speaking to a doctor by the way...haha..I say that because ppl seem to have smart comments like "ask a PCP, or no drugs are safe during pregnancy" and I do know that :) However, benefits seem to ou tway the risks, and my PCP says its fine..but my OBGYN says no?
thanks!
I am 5 weeks pregnant with what will be my 5th child. I have SEVERE panic attacks and have been diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorders (among other things). I've been on klonopin for 9 years and have had several pregnancies (seven) during that time, and carried only three of them to term. I am high risk to say the least, for several different reasons including seizures and frequent anxiety/panic attacks. i am prescribed klonopin for anxiety and seizures because that is the medication that works best for me. During my most recent pregnancy,I was told by my OB to stop taking kolonipin in the first trimester, b/c this is when the fetus is forming all major organs and is the most critical time of development. By the 2nd trimester, or 13th week the fetus has completed the most critical period of development. I was told that I could resume taking my medication, as prescribed at that time. In my previous pregnancies, I suffered terribly from severe anxiety, stress and panic attacks. Doctors felt that this (and high blood pressure) may have contributed to my children being born prematurely. I took 4mg daily of Klonopin in my last pregnancy from the 14th week until I gave birth to my baby. I have a healthy and very perfect little girl who is now 14 months old. She had no delays or birth defects of any kind. She also did not go through withdrawl (withdrawal) of any kind. We were both closely monitored because of other issues. However, everyone is different and you should discuss the use of any drug with your doctor. make sure the benefits outweigh the risks. You should try not to take any medications in the first trimester (if you can), I can't stress that enough. If you are on medications, discuss how and if to decrease or taper off. It is not recommended to suddenly stop taking these types of medications, so discuss this with your doctor as soon as you discover you are pregnant. Good Luck, and GOD bless.
hello, it is such a relief that your babies are ok. i have been worried to death that i am doing the wrong thing. i was on 2 mg a day and i found out i was pregnant and i have dropped to 1 mg a day... i have been going through serious withdraws. my doctor insists that i get off it completely and has put me on a very aggressive kick. almost too difficult... did anyone suggest this for you? to stop taking them?

again reading your post made me cry. i am so happy that you had healthy children

please email me ***@****

thank you so much
I was wondering how you tapered off of the 20 mg of Lexapro when you got pregnant with your 1st? and the outcome with your 2nd? :)
Hi there. In response to your question soulcandybt, I NEVER tapered off the lexapro or Klonopin during both of my pregnancies.  In fact, I had to increase the doses with my second pregnancy because I was experiencing a great amount of anxiety due to pelvic pain I developed. I also had to take narcotics toward the end, as he was sitting on my Sciatic nerve causing horrific pain.  Even though I took all these so called " bad" meds for an unborn child, both of my babies were born 100 percent healthy with no withdrawals. Not even from the Vicodin I had to take as needed.  I carefully weighed the risks and benefits with my OBGYN.  to all the women out there who are terrified while taking these medications while pregnant, I hope my story of 2 healthy and exceptionally smart children can offer you comfort and hope.  I would advise to stay on the meds.  My psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety meds and pregnancy had never seen 1 case of a baby with deformities or addiction problems in her entire 20 year career. I hope I can reassure all you moms that it's ok to continue your mediations.  It's most likely better to take the meds, then have continuous elevated stress hormones.  Everyday, I'm blown away by how intelligent each of my children are.  And both of them were exposed to Lexapro, and Klonopin.  My son also to Vicodin. Please don't stress.  Take your meds, and trust your babies will be fine.
I am trying to get pregnant, and I am now from 2mg a night, to .5mg. The problem is I can't sleep on .5mg a lone. I drink wine to help me sleep. How did you come off of Klonopin that high of mg's without withdrawals? Did the doctor give you something or did you take something herbal to help you. I would really like your advice.  I have never read of a person taking 20mg.

thanks
Ana
I've been taking xanax and kolonopin for 7 years. I started out on 1 mg of xanax a day and went all the way up to 4 mg a day. I knew there was going to be no other way to get myself off the medication besides rehab so i detoxed off totally in about 14 days.  A few months after i started taking kolonopin because i obviously have horrible anxiety. Well i was taking 1 mg a day then when to 3. I found out i was pregnant at 5 weeks so i weened myself down to .5 mg a day. I miscarried at 9 weeks.  I hate that i take this medication, and i wish i would have never heard of it or started taking it.  I can't help but think i caused my own miscarrige. I would never recomend anyone start taking this unless they desperatly need it.
I need to make a comment.  I had to take  clonazepam. (klonopin) during both my pregnancies.   I had no choice but to take it as I have a seizure disorder.   The point I want to make as my children hit puberty, they both became depressed.  Major depression was something I had not anticipated. My sister, who did not have a seizure disorder had a child who did not develop depression.    I would caution all of you who are pregnant or considering to not use this drug unless you have no choice.  I have no scientific proof that this drug contributed to their depression but only my experience with children who were physically normal but developed a mental disorder later in life.  I could find no other cause for there depressive symptoms.  There is no drug proven 100% safe to use during pregnancy.  I hope my story helps.
hi there. like all of you, I'm on the verge of losing it completely because of the stress that comes along with taking medication and being pregnant. I have been on birth control and for the first 3 months i did not know I was pregnant. I was taking 2mg Klonopin, 1 mg xanax and a small dosage of subutex(about 2 mg) I have been on his medication for 5 years now(most of it at least) for severe anxiety, and pain. On top of that I could not get into a doctor for almost 2 months to get a blood test, ultrasound, etc. I had an appointment made but the day before I called to confirm and apparently they had no such appointment in their records :) not something you want to tell to a pregnant lady. I have 5 different doctors right now for my medication and they have all looked at my ultrasound which i got at about 25 weeks and everything came back completely . I have called them so many times just to go over what they said to me because I feel like it just can't be right and I have gotten the same response. I cut down my xanax when I found out and it took me 2 weeks to be off of that completely. now i am down to .5 mg of klonopin a day. all of my doctors have told me the same thing, if you can possibly get off of it completely then do it. but if its going to cause serious problems then take it as needed(i have had seizures from going off my klonopin cold turkey so I know how scary it can be). I really wish i would have found out sooner because I feel like whatever damage couldve been done is already done. but looking at my ultrasounds and everything else there are no physical abnormalities and the brain and heart are developing normally. everything appears as it should be at this point and my doctors have been monitoring me closely.  its hard not to think of the the things they cant see but at this point all you can do is try your hardest and be positive. and know you're doing your best for you and your baby. I know this isnt a straight answer but I hope it helps anyone who is as freaked out as i am.
*ultrasound came back completely NORMAL. is what that is supposed to say
Hey there.  I read your post, and what I can say from my extensive research as a nurse is that the Klonopin you exposed your babies to in utero is very unlikely to be associated with the depression they are experiencing in puberty.  There is no evidence that your children have depression as a result of Klonopin use while pregant.  Many teens are depressed.  Especially nowadays. There are most likely other causes for their depression. I have many depressed family members who were never exposed to even one Tylenol, while in utero.   In my personal experience, taking my meds during pregnacy was a much better option than getting off of them.  Nobody can prove they cause deformities , or behavioral problems later in life. My two children are brilliant and very happy.  I don't know what the teenage years will bring, but many many teens are depressed these days because of the stressful word we Live in!
This helped me a great deal i have such bad panic attacks with my OCD that i freak out and start twitching almost like im convulsing my body contracts and i hit myself. my OB took me off the medication i have been on to control this problem cold turkey and i was horrable i was on the luvox for 15 years without it i am a wreak and was so scared when they told me to start the kolonopin 3x a day and then ambian at night to sleep i started all this close to 4-5 months pregnant with my first and now i have the same problem with my siatica and scared to be on all this while pregnant.   did you ever take the klonopin at the same time as the vicodin i feel like i have to choose between pain and sanity can you take both at the same time?
Thank you all for your posts. I feel much better now. I could be pregnant and have been taking 0.5mg Klonopins off and on and was SO worried. I have seen women smoke weed, meth, pop pills, ect. and their babies came out perfectly fine, but that doesn't take my worries away. All HPTs I have taken have came up negative, but I got (what I think was) my period and it only lasted 2 days. Totally unusual for me. I do believe I will try and ween myself off of the Klonopins. I am not addicted so I know I can quit cold turkey, but that kinda scares me too. Anyways, I feel much better after reading all these posts. Thank you all. Good luck!
i went thru my first pregnancy on klonopin ..i was on a very low dose...but the side effetcs and my emotinal state were horrible..i suffered from severe panic attacks and my doctor decided it was safer for me and baby to stay on a lo does..i also was on effexor....but my daughter was healthy and fine....i cant say that i was just lucky ..i know it can slow respitaory down ina baby..but i guess when it coomes to the chance of miscarrigae or having a succesful pregnancy...my doctors opted i stay on  a  low dose...
hi there. i just wanted to share an update with anyone who reads(my previous post is up there) because I know how scary these situations can be especially when most the stories you hear are just horror stories and people can judge when they don't understand. when i found out i was prego i was on 2 mg klonopin, 2 mg xanax and 4 mg subutex for anxiety and pain. I didn't find out til I was 4 to 5 months because of being on nuvaring. I managed to ween myself down on the subutex to .5-1mg a day and klonopin .25 mg as needed for panic attacks towards the end. I stopped the xanax completely. but for a great deal of my pregnancy I was on a lot of medication. My child was born 7lbs 11 oz, scored 9 on her apgars and is extremely healthy at 8 days old. No respiratory issues. She had a fever/infection because I had one when she was born. they had her in the nicu for 2 days just to watch her for withdrawals and give her antibiotics. She was a bit irritable for the first 12 hours(from the subutex look it up if you don't know anything about it) but she was also running a fever from her infection and that played a part in it as well. So even if I hadn't been on meds she STILL would have been in the nicu. I just hope this helps anyone who happens to be in the same situation I was in because i know how hard it is especially when you can't just stop takint things cold turkey for the safety of your child. don't put yourself through hell, just do the best you can and be open and honest with your doctors. you are not alone.
I am in that same boat you were in, however I am 46 and so was not interested in having anymore children not at my age. I am 7 mths and I am doing my best to be off of the kolonopin by the end of January and pray she isn't effected by the meds and is not born addicted to it. Would you mind sharing how everything turned out? I pray okay!!!!!! Thank you.
Thank you so much for sharing your story! I am 46 and soooo was not planning another child. I am worried about birth defects and her going through withdrawals. Not as much though after reading your story! Thank you so much for sharing !!!!! I am 7 mths and I do take no more than 2 ml in a day but usually I can get away with .25 to .5 and occasionally I can go a day without any. I can deal with the panic attacks what I have a really hard time with is the withdrawal. It's my system that is use to it which forces me to take something. hen I don't I can really feel it bothering her more than me and that scares me. I just don't want her to go through withdrawals when she's born or have to stay in the hospital for a long period of time and of course I really don't want her to have any birth defects. But I am also scared that CPS will take her from me even though the klonopin is prescribed to me by a Dr. and I actually take a lot less than prescribed however CPS doesn't care about that, I think they are so screwed up in what they do that they actually need more training for what they do. They take children who shouldn't be and leave children in dangerous situations. But again I cant thank you enough!!!!
You just want want to have multiples . And taking meds or quitting cold turkey good luck at your appointment. They will die. Were trying again and eating very healthy and quit smoking and absolutely no meds at all and I don't ever drink. I was on meds and docs said quit cold turkey and I trusted them so I did and now my babys dead. I was 12 weeks and it died at 8.5 week. Been for 4 weeks inside. Decided to have a natural miscarriage at home and thought I did with mild bleeding with little clits but no cramps went back to the doctor and she said nothing has changed and after examination she said infection has set in and wanted to do a emergency d&c so I had surgery within a few hours that day. Went for my post of appointment and she said I was all healed my cervix had completely closed and uterus had gone to normal size but for a week and half since the d&c I couldnt urinate so I called the doctor again they told me since after 15mins of trying to urinate that I needed an ultrasound and it showed my doctor was completely unsuccessful at the surgery. She never even removed the baby or the sac and I was very angry at how she could have possibly missed something that big cause it did enlarge in doulcle size. My doc was out of town so I saw a different doc and he said you can do another d&c or wait and see your doctor and made an appointment for the 12th of this month 2013. Well by friday morning I had severe cranps and kept getting worse and it was constant and my husband said call the doctor but wouldnt cause I figured they would just say wait it out your having a miscarriage but by 3:30pm I couldn't even walk or stand at all my husband insisted I call the doctor cause he had never seen me in that much pain and I do have a high tolerance of pain and never show when im in pain but I couldnt help it I was curled up in a ball like a fetal position making so much noise from the pain. I explained to the nurse what was going on who talked to the doctor on call cause mine was still on vacation.  Well the doctor said come in immediately so I was there in 5 mins and after a quick examination she said this is severe we have no time to waste. You have a severe infection and a fever. She wasted no time and rushed me to the operating room for another emergency surgery only this time it almost killed me. Every doctor and nurse knew that my pain was so severe they kept saying sorry and were so nice and wonderful.  I had never eced felt like that in  my enentire life. The pain was so bad I was hyperventilating and making lots if noise and was close to passing out from the and really just felt like I wanted to kilk myself to just get rid of this pain. Well they rushed me to the OR in less than a hour and a half.  I was impressed and doctor did great after I was put under. I never felt a any pain. Some after the surgery but the nurse gave me lots of morphine and fentyl and I was very comfortable ater that. They wabted me not to be in any pain cause of what I went t get rough all. They did an ultrasound just to make sure sho everything and tgere was no damage to the uterus so she ke me gk home that night. If the ultrasound didnt look good then I would have had to spend the night for observation.  Was sent home with antibiotics and pain meds. But I have no pain an no bleeding at all.  The doctor said that if I had waited any longer and especially till the next day I would have died and would be dead and that my husband would be planning my funeral instead. He is my everything and has been my great support through all this and has been taking such good care of me. I am so blessed that God gave him to me. Im all recovered even though it just happened on February 8th 2013. Sorry for rambling. Im very lucky to be alive and that I went to the doctor wgen I did and when she told me to come in she told us. From my fate miscarriages
The comment is for you too except the thing about having multiple babys. Sorry all but I am in a very hateful and pure angry mood for anyone who Is pregnant or announces they are pregnant or just had a baby and especially when I really see a pregnant women. Mean or not I wish miscarriages on them. This was my first pregnancy and we had tried for 7 years with nothing abd didn't go to fertility clincs and didnt believe in ivf at all. If it was Gos will it would happen but a couple years ago I had 100% had accepted that I would never become a mom and had totally accepted it and being 32 the older I got I wasnt sure I wanted kids anymore. We weren't even sure that I could get pregnant but I accepted it was totally ok with it all so I was completely shoxked and surprised that in November 2012 after thanksgiving and being 6 5 weeks pregnant that I coukdnt believe it. I went to my family doctor who confirmed it abd referred me to a obgyn and at my first appointment at13.5 weeks pregnant they said the baby died at 9 weeks. Read whay I said to armywife527 of my horrifying month and a experience. I killed my baby and how could God of miracles supposedly allow me to get pregnant only to rip it from me. He must truly think I would be a bad mom. I really really wanted this baby and will never forget her even if I was to get pregnant but I doubt it will happen again even with doing everything the doctor has said and if I were to get pregnant i probably would miscarry it too or would have a tubal eptopic pregnancy and probably would have to have a tube and ovary removed which makes my chances a whole lot less. You being on meds good luck having a live baby to full term and quiting cold turkey really have good luck. The doctor told me that I was very healthy and that it wasnt my body that caused the miscarriage at all and that it was the baby and wasnt viable for life and so it died. She I can definitely still with no problems carry a baby to full term with no problems. My uterus is very strong and healthy and so is my cervix and that the d&c didnt leave any scars to my uterus and it looks as same as if I didn't have surgery. Greatful for that at least.  I thought getting pregnant was the answers to mybprayers that I faithfully prayed every morning and every night that God would bless us with a beautiful baby but was wrong it wasn't an answer to my prayers at all but just him joking and teasing me in a very cruel way. I knew with all my heart that we were going to have girl so decided to name her Hannah joy! A precious lost angel way too beautiful for this worldand you my precious beautiful lost angel up in heaven will never ever be forgotten and we will always love you our precious little angel the most beautiful thing to have ever been a part of our world even though it was for just a few weeks! <3
hello i need help im 6 weeks pregnant what happens if i only take one pill of clonazepam 0.5mg will something happen to my baby
I'm nineteen wks pregnant and I quit taking my kolonopin in the beginning but now I'm taking it once a wk the ob said that would be fine I hope it is
Hi - if I may ask, how much Klonopin were you taking during your pregnancy?  Like mg's and how much per day/week?