Pregnancy test expiration?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pregnancy test expiration?

so i have been having some concerns about being pregnant (see my thread below - bleeding, strange, nipples hurt).

I took the EPT test, and I don't understand.  its got a really faint line in the window - not one that would indicate a positive result, but aren't all results supposed to have the one horizontal line??  thats what it seems to say.

anyway, i have just had an epiphany - this test (the 2nd of 2 - first was used last march) has been sitting in my glove compartment since last march.  all through the summer, etc.

I didn't see an expiration, but its not the original box, and I dont see temp indication.  i dont know.  i am doubtful.

i guess I will wait another week.  but today i started getting serious heart burn - actually yesterday and the day before too - expect i mistook it for chest pains since I've never had heart burn before.

oy
I would suggest buying another HPT and testing again since you are unsure of the expiration date of the one you took.  The climate change was probably not good on the HPT.  Take another one and see what that one says.  If you still are unsure about the results then go to you OB/GYN and have a blood test done. Best of Luck!
Jen
That heat from your car can change the make-up of the testing chemicals used to detect the pregnancy hormone in your urine.  They should all say on the box to keep away from heat and store in a dry area around 65 to 72 degrees F.  Cars can get over 100 degrees in the hot summer, so I would disregard that test.  If you don't get that strong indicator line, then the test is damaged and shouldn't be used.  Go to www.peeonastick.com, this might answer some of your tests.  They have tests of hpts against eachother and shows you the good and bad of different brands.
Sounds like the website is confused.  The further along you are
in pregnancy the darker the result.  Maybe you should try a
HPT and see what happens.
**** now i am even more confused.  i went to peeonastick.com and it says you should only test between 8-16 days past ovulation.  getting a positive result before or after happens but is not common.

so does this mean, since I am potentially past that by a lot, that I will not get a true result with an HPT???
Well, I think the website is saying that because there are women out there who think it's alright to test the like the day you ovulate expecting for it to be positive and are disappointed that it is not.  No, you could be 12 weeks pregnant and will still get a positive hpt.  Some women haven't even gotten a positive hpt test 2 weeks after their missed period and still gotten a negative when they really are pregnant.  It's not common, but I have heard stories.  Go ahead and test now if you're past your expected period day and nothing has happened.  Good luck!