Pregnant after Vasectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pregnant after Vasectomy

I'm Pregnant. My sig. other had a vasectomy 12 years ago.  There is not a .00001% chance it's anyone elses.  He is the only man I've been with since we've been together.  I know it happens after vasectomies,.  Spontaneous recanalization. but the stats/odds seem so rare.  He's being very gracious.  But basically he feels like, "I've  been fixed for 13 years!"  I told him to go get his fertility checked. . . but of course I've read stories of those coming back negative a few times b/c the sperm amounts in the recanalization process is so small.  I'm scared to death it will come back negative, and then I'll want to do a paternity test before the baby is born . . .which can increase chance of miscarriage.  Should I just wait till he's had a few goes at his sperm samples before I start doing paternity tests.  I'm pretty sure I can't live with him thinking there's even a possibility I've cheated for the next 9 months.  Any stories out there?
Have him take the test.  If it says he is infertile, have him take another one.  If you have not been sleeping around, you have not been sleeping around.  He can grump and grouse all he likes, but you know it's his.  Tell him that in exchange for him going to be tested you will have a DNA test done after the baby is born, so he will never secretly wonder.  But don't have one when you are still pregnant if you know you didn't cheat on him.  Don't risk the baby for that.  Just look him in the eye and say "hey, man, I've got nothing to hide.  We'll do a DNA test when the baby is safely out so you will never wonder."  I woudn't risk the baby's life to prove something that can be safely proven in only a few short months.
I agree with Annie. There is NO reason whatsoever to worry if you know 100% that the test will show that the baby is his. Under no circumstances do you need to have any DNA tests done on the bub before birth. It is your choice. My DH had a Vas almost 2 years ago now and I am convinced that the tubes have grown back, but until I fall pregnant we will never know. I have already told him that I hope every day that the op has failed and that we can have a baby and he has already told me that he would obviously insist on a DNA test after birth. Vasectomies are sold as permanent results for infertility and if I was a man and my wife got pregnant from a failed vas I would probably want a test done to. It's very sad that something like that throws a whole marriage into limbo and that it opens the biggest can of worms in a loving and peaceful relationship but it's one of those horrible things that happens. Lots of times the sperm tests will show up negative and that leaves a whole load of unanswered questions. It's going to be hard for you botha dn I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us updated on the results and whatever you do make sure you have a healthy and stress free pregnancy. If you have nothing to worry about then that should be your focus when things get rough.
Just read your post about your partners vasectomy. Mine was done 11 1/2 years ago. My partner of 10+ years is now pregnant & apparently I am once again firing live rounds, which has been confirmed by the lab... I checked the operation notes at my doctors & both vas segments that were removed were confirmed via a lab as the correct tubes at the time. (17mm & 12mm sections) The doctor actually stated at the time that there was 'no way' this would ever reconnect on their own at any time in the future... - Wrong..
Stick together on this & a simple test in a few months time will dissolve any lingering concerns.. We know it shouldn't be needed, but any male would appreciate the 100% proof without having to find the courage to ask for the test :)
It is possible for a vasectomy to reverse on its own. It's rare but it happens. Like the others said if you know for sure that the baby is his and he's denying it...get that paternity test.

once it shows it is his...make him eat the test. lol.

good luck.
Stick together on this & a simple test in a few months time will dissolve any lingering concerns..
- This didn't read quite right, so just a wee bit of clarification needed.  
'A few months', means a test done AFTER the birth...
Good luck :)
Doctors want to continue to provide these services.  They won't tell you that this is more common than you know.  Many many woman one I know in her 50's was surprised after 30 years after a vasectomy.  They need to raise the percentage and stop saying how rare it is.  The body protects itself from harm without anyone interfering.  Reconnecting is no different than the body attacking itself like autoimmune diseases.  The same idea.  It is repairing the body.  How many people do you know with chronic fatigue symdrom, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. etc.....  It will reconnect in many cases.  Let's face it the surgery is money in their pockets and it is a major one that is done daily.  Millions and Millions of dollars and insurances will stop paying if it isn't working...No doctor will admit how many times this is happening.