Preparing for recovery after laparotomy
I would like advice on preparing for recovery time after my laparotomy. I am scheduled in two weeks to have a 7 cm dermoid cyst removed along with my right ovary. I have scheduled two weeks off from work, but really need to return within two weeks. I have a 10 year old daughter who will be on spring break and my mother will be with us during this time. My mom is not able to do much physically, but will be here for emotional support for my daughter and myself. I want to be sure I prepare everything in advance so that it will be easy for them to help me. Any advice for preparations or shopping lists?  :)  Thank you!
I had a laparotomy on the 6th March during which doctors removerd a 10cm dermoid cyst and my right ovary.

I think that a return to work within 2 weeks is very optomistic. I was in hospital for 4 days and struggled to walk at all during that time. I have made steady progress since but it is 2 and a half weeks since my op and I wouls say I can walk for 5-10 mins before feeling worn out and in pain. I am a fit and healthy 25 year old and would expect my recovery to be faster than average. Whenever I do too much (lifting, fast movement) it sets me back so you need to relax.

Your mum and daughter will be loads of help - all you will need from them is to stop you doing unneccessary things such as cleaning and cooking, they can fetch things for you which you would usually think nothing of getting yourself. As you said they will be there for moral support too.

You need to make sure that you have lots of clean nighties (the only think I felt comfortable in at first) and towels. You need a plastic chair in the shower. For the living room you'll need a chair with good support and handles to push up from. After about a week you'll be able to get up from the sofa without too much pain. You'll need flight socks to prevent blood clots - keep your legs moving. You need a lot of fibre in your diet (as the painkillers might clog things up).

Hope that's helpful!
Hi Clare,

Thank you for replying-- I really appreciate it, and it is comforting to know that we are not alone! I had my pre-op appointment today and my Dr stated that I would be in the hospital from Thursday of next week through Sunday. So 4 days, just like you. Please continue to post and let me know about your recovery. I will post as well.
I hope you are doing well and thanks again.
Kittycoo8