Procedure called Esure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Procedure called Esure

I would like to know if anyone has ever had the Essure procedure done. My friend is thinking about it and was wondering if anyone had any expierience. Her husband won't get vascectomy and she really does'nt want to tie tubes. This procedure is no cutting and is permanent. Any advice would really help.
i had the procedure done at the end of june. unfortunately i don't have any good advise. i began "spotting" but heavy spotting, enough to wear a tampon certain days.  i had a normal cycle in july, but the spotting began in august and didn't stop until the 28th of sept. then it started again on the 10th of oct. and still hasn't stopped. i am currently finishing the second antibiotic my doc prescribed and actually just left another msg to tell him it didn't help any. i have no cramping or any pains, just the constant spotting. my husband makes jokes that it is a great form of birth control bcuz i won't have intercourse with him while like this.  your friend needs to talk to her doc & see if this is a normal complication. if so, beware. no pains physically, just a pain in my arse.  good luck.
I had the procedure done the 20th of Nov O7, I bled from then until the first part of Feb, I quit and didn't have a period until May 18, and never quit bleeding. I seen my doctor last week and he said I had a uterine infection, gave me a shot of antibiotics and put me on provera for 30 days. If the bleeding doesn't stop said I would have to have a dnc.  I have had cramping and have been sick at my stomach.  Hope yours is better.
I just had the procedure Dec 1, 2008. I bled for two weeks that's it. I dont know if feeling nauseated is a side effect? Now I'm not sure what to expect. I am only hoping that it will not get as bad as the other women symptoms
dont do it, my sister had esure procedure three years ago. she just got pregnant in april of 09. She wonders is there anyone else out there with this kind of mistake? she's currently seeking a lawsuit.
i have had my done for 3 years ,,,, and had had yeast infection everymonth,,, i now have a monthy pill i have to take,,,,, i would tell whom ever ,,,not to do it
my sister had the esure procedure done and is now expecting her 3rd child anyday now. this procedure does not work.
I had the e-sure procedure done because I was told it would prevent pregnancy and give me a lighter menstrual cycle.  I had it done on 09/30 and have developed a bacterial infection with sever abdominal pain.  I'm reading horror stories about this procedure such as one lady having the procedure and then having children afterwards.  At this time even though it's only been a week since the procedure was done I would not recommend it to anyone until they have done more research on it.  I am almost 40, recently married for a little over a year with a 17 year old son who is close to going to college.   I work full-time and attend college part-time and do not want more children and thought this procedure would take care of the fears of becoming pregnant at my age.  I hope it works for me but I am doubtful at this time.
Just a quick note to say hi! , my daughter had the esure procedure done app. 3 years ago after her second child. This was the first time her gyno had done this procedure. Shortly after one of the devices used fell out while she was showering. Her Dr. said that everything would be ok that her chances of getting pregant again were slim. If she did get pregnant - she would just miscarry. App. two years later she was pregnant again. She carried her son for 7 mths. before he died. They made her deliver vaginally so they could find out if the cord was rapped around his neck and this was the reason for the babies death. The cord was not rapped around the neck when he came out though. So if anyone does hear of any type of lawsuit please leave me a message. If I hear anything I'll do the same.
Hi,All  

I had the esure procedure done 4yrs ago  and just found out im 4 weeks pregnant. so i guess it really dont work beside that it wasn'ta bad choice. now let see how it will trun out for me and my baby.. i'll keep you posted
I'm scheduled for the Esure procedure on December 9th 2010, after reading this I'm not sure now what to do? Should i just go ahead and have my tubes tied?

Renee
I had the esure done in January 07. Now i think im pregnant and its 2010. I been having symptoms of being pregnant. I thought esure was to prevent you from getting pregnant. If i had a choice now i would have gotten my tubes tied,cliped and burned.

Keyshauna
Hi; I had the Esure in September 24 2010, I have been spotting very heavy with cramps on my lower abdominal I'll normally  change pads three times a day; now I'm having a urine infection and feeling myself lately. This is not good for me. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do this procedure.  
I was the one scheduled for this procedure on Dec. 9th, 2010. However, after reading this I changed immediately to a tubal ligation. Sure, it's a surgery, but you don't hear about these kind of side effects from a tubal. I think it's been around longer and has been proven to be pretty effective. I had to remind myself that this e-sure procedure is having something put into you, which makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to be pregnant, nor do I want any infections. I'll take the tubal!!!!!
Renee
Thank God I read these reviews!!! I'm 22, married and already pregnant with my 2nd child and in desperate need of birth control. This procedure sounded to good to be true, come to find out that it is :(.
Just had my tubal on Dec. 9th! FEEL GREAT!!!! It's been two days and I made breakfast for everyone today. Even when I came home the day of the surgery I was walking fine and even started my coffee for the next day. I have more pain where they put my IV than my incisions! My throat is soar from the tube they give you (you don't know it ofcourse) but that's it. I don't even have stitches, I only have two bandaids. Please consider all options before esure!!! I don't regret changing my mind. My only regret is that I didn't have the tubal sooner.

Renee
just an update on my tubal recovery. I am doing fine and it has been 5 days now since my surgey. I have been taking showers since I came home and no problems. My incisions are no bigger than the length of the tip of my thumb nail. I was kind of surprised because I seen really long scars on google images, so I didn't know what to expect, but I can't even see the one in my belly button. My husband has looked too and he can't see anything either. It was a mistake that I waited so long because I was scared of surgery!!!! It was no big deal and would reccomend this over Esure anyday!
Renee
Hi everyone,
Just another posting after my tubal ligation surgery to let everyone know it's still going great! I just had my first period after my tubal and no problems whatsoever!! No pain, and nothing unsual, which was kind of surprising given I was on the Depo-Provera injection for many years with no period at all. My body has pretty much went back to normal. The only thing is that I had two periods for the month of January (Tubal was Dec. 9th) one period at the beginning of the month and one now. But no cramping or bad pain associated with it and not too heavy, just like before for me. I know some people wonder about the ovulation pain, but as of yet I have had no discomfort. By the way, I do not have any clips, only burned tubes. I have heard of some problems with the clips and opted out of that. I m happy with my choice!

Renee
I had my procedure done last February, it was painful actually having it done, although I don't remember too much pain after until my period came the next month. Then I had terrible cramps, which I had never had before and I bled heavily for 3 weeks. Since then, every period is accompanied with cramps and week and a half to two week (heavy) periods. Its ridiculous.
i had my essure put in on march 3 2011 and i seen the docter put the essure in and all in the room was a tv and a very small camara he then gave me meds to take and after about 15 mins he started i seen the whole thing on the tv so i know that the essure is in my tubes and so far i feel fine no probelms the only thing that i have is a little cramping and bleeding but my doc said that would happen and he explained the whole thing to me b4 i did anything so i hope this helps
I had this done along with Novasure (endometrial ablation) on April 12, 2011. Right now it's April 29, 2011. It was pretty much a piece of cake. A little bit of watery discharge, but it's barely anything. A little bit of twinging from the Essure coils, but even that has stopped now.
I am going back in July to get a test done to make sure my tubes are completely blocked. In the mean time, I'm taking oral contraceptives.

I won't accuse anyone of anything, but if you don't have this follow-up procedure done, you'll never know if the tubes are completely blocked or not.
So, as long as you have a competent, experienced doctor, and you follow his/her instructions and get all the procedures done, you're not going to get pregnant.
Esure is the worst thing i have ever did im in pain all the time i got mine june 3 2011 and the pain wont go away all i want is hard pain meds because it has caused me nothing but pain!! im 30 years old with 4 kids and i wanted my tubes tied but i cant because my belly button was moved in plastic surgery. i never had problems untill i got the Esure now im living with constant pain i have taken a hole bottle of loratab 7.5 andi have taken Vicodin 5  Percocet  5 and  Percocet 10 they gave me the 10 after i had the Esure done i been in the hospital twice getting the morphine shot i think  Esure is bad news now i want a full hysterectomy because im in so much pain and all they will give me is ibeprofin 800 save your self the pain if i could not have it now id go back my husband and i think Esure is bad cause i was fine till i had this put in and if my dr refuse to fix this pain im going to see another dr i cant live in pain like this all so im spotting its like having a period every day but not bleeding normal i hate it
I had my essure done in Dec 2010 and its Oct 2011. I haven't had any problems with it. The next day after having it done I didn't even feel like I had anything done. No pain, a little spotting from where they did it. I went back in April 2011 and they did the dye test to see if it blocked completely. I watched it on the screen when he put the dye in. My tubes were completely blocked. I think everyone's body is different and you body may take it but again your body my reject it. A friend of mine tried the IUD and her body rejected it so I think it depends on the woman.
I was considering doing this procedure.  Went to my Gyno, passed prelimanary questions and scheduled the procedure.  As I sat on my couch at home, I started reviewing the the brochure.  On the back of the pamplet, it states the patient should consult doctor about "nickel allergy"  My Gyno said it wasnt going to be an issue, but referred me to an allergist at my request.   He didnt have to do any special testing, just asked a few questions:
1.  Do you get little bumps around the belly button after wearing jeans?
2.  Do your ears redden or swell after wearing costume jewlery?
3.  Do you need to use nickle-free earrings?

guess what?  If you get allergic reactions from these items, you are embedding an item INTO your body that is going to have issues.  Patients have had to to have Essure surgically removed due to allergic reations.  Be careful and DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!
After my appointment, my doctor and I agreed to tubal ligation rather than essure.
What were you on before? I'm on the murena iud and I'm having hell! Basically all the negative things being said about the Essure is what I'm dealing with with the iud, kind if curious if there is a connection
Well I have just gotten the procedure done about 3 months ago and I have not had any problems. Yes i spotted 2 days after but soo lightly that it was helb by a panty liner. I have been on plenty of birth control and never liked any of them but this Essure. With the pill, it's hard to remember to take them at the exact same time. I spotted all the time. With the patch, I developed spider veins wherever I put the patch. And I got lots of them. More than when I got pregnant. I have tried the Depo shot. Man O'man was that the worst one ever. I was bleeding for 6 months straight. Bled so heavy that I was hospitalized for being severely anemic. I had gained so much weight with the Patch and the pills and lost too much with the shot. Now to be fair, the ESSURE, as well as every other birth control, along with getting your tubes tied are only 99.9% accurate. Everyone's body reacts differently to each b/c just like it would with meds. it all depends on your body's capacity to them. My cousin had gotten pregnant 3 years after getting her tubes tied. She has gotten ESSURE after the baby and has been good for 2 years. She recommended it to me and I have been fine as well. I guess it all depends with everyone. Wish you all the best...
You are completely correct about doing your homework on this stuff. my Dr however, did all the tests done on me. I had planned it in late sept and she didn't do the procedure till mid november when all my tests came back with positive results. So I got it done and I'm very happy about it...
I had the essure procedure done december 2011 which is about 2 weeks ago. I have been spotting off and on the whole time. The only concern I have is a slight odor that I have never had before. I go back to the doctor in 5 days so I hope to get the answers to my questions then. Anyone else notice this issue?
I had essure,done in march of 2011 and I have been having serious complications. I feel like I have the flu everyday. I developed rashes on my face. Abdominal pain, chills, very tired and weak, and very nauseous. I have been going to different doctors such as a GI for the pain in the stomach. I am going to a urologist for bladder trouble, and the gyn for excessive amount of discharge. I also went to a urogyn and he asked me does colon cancer run in your family, I got scared and went to a GI,  but everything was fine. I was very healthy before I have had the essure done. I am 38 years old and now I have to have a hysterectomy . So if you are considering to have this procedure done please do not, its not worth your health.
I have had essure replaced three times in my R tube. I have pretty much bled since I gave birth a little over 5 months ago. I quit bleeding briefly after my body pushed the second rod/spring out while taking a shower. I have had constant pain on my left and major cramping on my right. Burnin in my back. I have been checked for UTI and kidney infections since the essure was put in. They tell me the bleeding and burning cramps and everything that does not feel right. I'm tired of my doctor telling me nothing is wrong just take birth control!!! The depo shot. I tell him bc pills shot any hormonal pills. I have a plate and six screws in my pelvic bone. Labor was horrible felt more like I didn't have any medication at all but they had me doped up so much and even three doses of reg epidoral and a c section epidoral. So when the doc said it's a piece of cake with essure and much safer than a tubal. I did no research I was excited that I wouldn't be put to sleep so I'll be back home ready to be a mom to my two kids! Well biggest mistake. Always do research. They say that none of these issues are from essure but for more than a few cases have the exact same problems. These doctors are getting money for promoting essure so they do not explain any risks low side effects or how painful it is!!! I already had a D&C at 4 weeks due to heavy bleeding. Something is wrong!!!
OK now I'm scared! I have had the procedure done two years ago and haven't had any problems just a heavy period every month for the first year, now for this month I haven't had a period and I'm never late but this month it is. I so hope I'm not pregnant
I had the procedure done5 years ago and was only24 cause they said I had an enlarge heart but come to fine out I dnt and really want kids now how can I get this UN done
I've had the esure procedure in 3/10 and every since then I've had several bv infections, several UTIs.  Now my uterus in always swollen n it hurts when I have sex, along with high blood pressure.  I'm scared and may have to consider having my tubes removed at 37.
Wow, I had this procedure done in december. I have been spotting most.of the time, I donr really have to much pain, but I can feel were.the coils are..
  I recently have gone to my obgyn, for an appt due to some other issues I thought were from being post pardon. I was pregnant back to back for 2 yrs, I had my first daughter in nov of 2010 and my 2 nd oct 2011.. So this sounded like such a good idea :)
  Until I hardly ever stopped bleeding, so I am know,on birth control pill :( I have been off and on moody, and emotional, due to mostly lack of energy. About every 2 months I have 1 week were I have absolutely no energy, a tramatic amount of hair loss and nausea every night before dinner :( bad acne, and hot flashes..
So now I hear all this and  really freaking out :(
Since the birth control I have felt better but this is only my second week on it, and honestly im not sure if these side ef
fects are from pregnancies or esure, but it has been a good 6 months :(
I will keep every one updated, thank u every onr for speaking out, because everytime I call the doctor who did the procedure, she acts like im crazy :(
i had the procedure done in 08 after my third child was born i had all my children c-section so it was recomended it is now 2012 and i think i might be pregnant but the doctor says if i am i wont actually now till my last trimester im scared and very mad because it was suppose to be permenant