Prolapsed bowel reoccurring after abdominal rectopexy and sigmoid resec...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Prolapsed bowel reoccurring after abdominal rectopexy and sigmoid resection at 34 years of age

Hello There,  I am a 34 year old Female, mother of 3.  I am of average height 5' 6" and have always been underweight and am now only 117 pounds and that is after gaining 17 pounds post surgery.  In january 2002 I had my second child and developed a prolapsed bowel, miraculously it repaired itself over a year or so,  but in August 2008 I had another child and my bowel prolapsed again but worse than before and was continually getting worse as the months went on, my pelvic floors were tested and were very strong, and in april 2009, 8 months later, I went  to the doctor and was booked in for an abdominal rectopexy and sigmoid resection on June the 6th 2009. In December, 6 months after the operation I noticed the bowel prolaspsing again, slightly but noticeably.  I ignored it.  By April 2010 10 months after surgery, the front part of my bowel has prolapsed about 2 inches out of my body(nothing compared to the 6 inches that it was before)  This time is is more worrying though because the front part of the bowel is prolapsing but the back isn't so whe the front comes out when I sit down for a pee or poo, the front not only comes down but it pushed the actual opening of the bowel where the feces comes out, back up inside my body.  I am not sure what has gone wrong.  I know that my stools have been harder since the op but not always and not enough to cause this.  I am waiting to be seen by a specialist but can you suggest anything that I can do for the pain, its constant cramping and my bowel is pressing against my bladder and causing mild to severe pain depending on the fullness of my bladder.  Can anyone help?  Can any woman let me know that I am not alone.  All I hear from doctors is that I am too young to have this.  I feel so alone.  Anyone else in early 30's with similar problem that would like to chat?  please, thanks mjm

This discussion is related to Bowel Prolapse.
I'm 28 and have had rectal prolapse for over 2 years.  I believe this could have been prevented- I was on very high doses of antidepressants, both of which have the side effect of constipation, and the MDs never suggested lowering the dose, doing biofeedback for my pelvic muscles, or anything else all that helpful.  They just kept having me take more and more Miralax and Amitiza.  Now I have to have surgery, a costly endeveur and I worry about it reocurring when reading stories like yours.  All I can offer is that you're not alone.   Did they put you on any stool softeners post surgery?
Hey hun,

Welp you're not alone. I'm 35. (33 when it all started). Complete rectal prolapse. one child. I had an open suture rectopexy and it recurred after 9 months. Im 4 weeks s/p another open (lareg incision) rectopexy this time with sigmoid resection. and things arent going so well yet. Its been very hard to deal with. Im 5'6 also but was an atheletic 135. Now Im a not atheletic 135 haha. big difference though. It feels horrible. Im sure that I need more work done but I have to go back to work for a while and bulid up leave, and make money for another hospitization. Like you, its the front part this time. Have you been checked to make sure its not just a mucosal prolapse this time around? (this is my feeling that this is for me although my sugeon doesnt think so. My surgeon also didnt think I had recurrence untill I sent her pictures becuase the studies didnt show it) and also a much simpler surgery to correct. also have you had any proplem with a rectocele? I have one but a very small one which Im told has nothing to do with it but still I think it does.  I know you said your pelvic floor function was fine. Im sorry you are going through this. Its been devastating for me. But we just have to keep trying because things can only get better if we keep trying right? dont be shy with your dr. be assertive. Ive learned that the hard way. You're in my prayers. and it helps to know Im not alone as well. take good care of yourself.
I am 26 years old I have two kids. I had a sigmoid resection and rectopexy in August 2011. I was seen one time by a recto surgeon who did a very small physical before setting me a surgery date. I have been in tremendous pain since surgery and I believe I may have had an unnecessary proceedure done. Several months later I am in worse shape then I was before surgery. I have been seen by another doctor that thinks I need a sacrocolpspexy which is pretty much the same procedure but on the woman parts. I feel as though this may have always been my problem but I was scared and not evaluated enough before getting this other surgery. The worst part is that this whole time I should have been healing my girl parts have been tearing my sutures off my tailbone. I can barely live feeling all this pain, and it has effected my life in any and every way possible. I too am upset with my pain and suffering and wonder if I am going to spend my life in this horrific pain. I just wanted you to know you are not alone I am here with you. I do not have good advise but I feel your pain.
I am 58 years old and 13 months ago I had a resection rectopexy for an internal prolapse of the bowel (intussusception) and six weeks later a hysterectomy for a uterine prolapse.  The test that colorectal surgeons ususally  ask for prior to this  surgery is called a  proctogramme - shows internal and external bowel prolapse - rectoceles etc.  May be a second opinion from another colorec wouldn't be a bad idea.  The resection rectopexy is a major operation and I am still having some discomfort at the base of my tailbone and a few other issues like several bowel movements a day etc. and this is 13 months later - I had a CT scan a month ago to see what the causes may be but nothing showed up.  I have been told that I have a rectocele also - but that should be left alone as at my age lots of women have this problem and my symtoms (symptoms) could be more to do with nerve damage and scarr tissue from the rectopexy  than from the rectocele.
Just felt I should share my experience with you just to let you know that you are not alone.

Hope you find the help you need and that things improve for you.  I had the hysterectomy close after the resection rectopexy because I feared - like you mention - that leaving the woman's parts problem might impact nagetively on the bowel op - Looking back now I am glad I did it but recovering from two major operations six weeks apart was certainly not easy.  
I drink one Budweiser Select Beer in the evening and I nibble on whatever my system will tolerate all day long.  
I also have my pooping regiment that is approved by my doctors.
1 Amitiza twice a day.  2 Colace twice a day.  Miralax and double dose of Benefiber twice a day.  Fleet suppository after the beer daily.
I have a morphine pump which is for my neck and it does nothing for this pain.  So I sleep 12-15 hours daily with the help of Trazadone and Melatonin.
I hope to have the Sigmoid Resection Rectopexey in the next 60 days by UTSouthwestern surgeon Craig Olsen.
Thanks for your reply - I wish I had known prior to my op that sometimes  the bowel can take over one year to recover from the nerve damage etc. that takes place when a resection rectopexy is done.  Has your surgeon told you this - mine didn't until six months post op - when I told him about the discomfort I was experiencing.  Things are getting better now - but in my case - whilst I am glad that I had the surgery the recovery and discomfort associated with it has taken a lot longer than I thought it would.  Hope things work out well for you and you have a fast and easy recovery
I am in Australia and had my operation in Melbourne.
I had the surgery and i donot wish it on any one
I been having so much pain rt pulling and now left lower pain i called my dr amd he told me that it could be imfection and the pain is in my lower side he said it my speen thats why it hurts i donot recomind this on anyone not even my worse emny
I had this surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. And you're right, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. They released me from the hospital after 4 days before I had passed gas or had a bm. I've had severe pain everyday and its very hard to pass gas let alone have a bm. I call my dr and tell him I'm having issues and he refuses to see me until 4 weeks post op. This is by far the biggest regret.