Prolonged/Painful menstrual bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Prolonged/Painful menstrual bleeding

I am a twenty year old woman, and I have had very irregular periods for a very long time. I had my period last December (2007), and then not again until this past May. I finally got it again during the last week of August, at which point I went on Ortho-tri-Cyclen Lo to regulate my menstrual cycle. A week after my period was finished, which was last Thursday August 28th, I got my period AGAIN to my surprise. I felt very sick, very nauseas, with a bad headache and constantly felt like I was going to pass out. My period was also different this time because it was not like regular blood, although it was very heavy, but it was completely BLACK and came out in huge clots with a lot of thick tissue. This made for very painful cramps. I thought that this was just spotting associated with starting the pill, but it continued and continued. Today is now the eighth day, and I STILL have it. Now, it is regular red blood again and still VERY VERY heavy. I am still nauseas, have horrible cramps, and I still feel like I'm going to pass out. I went the gynecologist the other day, and he said it was just due to the pill. But this is very severe, and I just won't stop bleeding.