Pus in my bellybutton and pain? Help?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pus in my bellybutton and pain? Help?

For a few years now Ive had this problem with my bellybutton. I shower everyday, I wash properly, I dry properly, hygiene is so important to me. However, my belly button is extremely deep, i cannot touch the end of it as it is that deep whereas my boyfriends end of bellybutton is totally visible!! And lately it has been leaking yellow pus, with the most horrible oder making my clothing smell almost fishy. I am so embarrassed and im sorry if im grossing you out!!
I wash out the pus and dry this area, and immediately it begins seeping again like a wound! my clothes get soaked by the leaking. Im so embarrassed by this problem and the doctor told me its my hygiene. But surely if you wash and dry everyday and even after washing the naval still leaks there is something more than just hygiene???

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what this could be as it is really getting me down :-(... I feel disgusting :-( !! I wish I had a smaller belly button, I physically cannot see the back of it!

Thank you for your advice!!!!
Foul smelling pus like discharge from the navel can be due to fungal infection or due to eruption of a boil in the navel. Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

3 years ago pus was coming out from my belly button as well and it was smelling sooo bad. I went to a doctor who gave me some medication that I took for 2 weeks while he cleaned the area very deeply but nothing happened. I went to a couple of other doctors because the smell was awful until I visited an academic clinic where many doctors for educational reasons gave me some further attention. I resulted in having 2 surgeries because after many tests, and more specifically a CT scan they traced a very compact pus just right under my belly button. After the 1st surgery though the pus was spread in my belly and everything got even ore serious..

What I am trying to say is that, if pus is coming off your belly-button dont relax until you make the proper diagnostic tests and make it sure is not anything more serious. I doubt this is a matter of hygiene.

Good Luck!
Ive been having pain behind my bellybutton and its swollen and red. I went to the Dr and got a Cat scan and was told I have a hernia. But this morning when I woke up my bellly button was oozing puss and blood. Im scared. Someone help what do i do?
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Des_a_rae, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
May 28
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals