WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Rapid Weight gain/menapause?
by dihog, Jun 10, 2005
I am a 43 yr old. women who has always exercised and has always had to watch my weight.  Over the years I've successfully stayed at a healthy weight by following a low-calorie (sometimes low carb) way of eating and have always exercised.  In the last year and 1/2, I have gained 25 lbs. (15 in the last 6 months) while continuing to diet and exercise the entire time (I have changed nothing and in fact have increased my exercise).  This rapid unexplained weight gain has me going crazy.  My thyroid has been tested and is well within normal range---my Dr thinks it's all just due to menapause--but this seems SO excessive especially for someone like me who is SO disciplined with my diet and also with exercise.  WHat else could this be???? WHat tests should I have done and/or what kindof dr. should I see? an endrocrinologist???
Member Comments (129)
by CDC2005, Jun 25, 2005
Hi there - Glad to hear I'm not alone.  I'm 46 and have gained about 25 lbs. in the past 12-15 months also.  I have had my thyroid removed but doctor says thats not it (it was removed 16 years ago).  I'm having hot flashes too.  All of this weight seemed to hit my waistline.  I look like I'm 6 months pregnant!!! and nothing fits or looks good.  My partner told me this morning I had a beer belly (I immediately began to cry).  I have been trying so hard but can't get rid of it (it just keeps coming).  I guess starvation is the next step!  Just thought I'd let you know that I think your doctor is right and we are classic female examples (unfortunately).  Thanks for sharing :)
by ritac, Aug 08, 2005
Add one more to the group, I am 48 years old. I have been the same weight for almost 5 years, even when I ate a lot of fattening foods and no exercise, I would within 3 days be back at my normal weight, and now within the last four months I have gained 25 pounds. I could not understand why. I mentioned it to my doctor the other day and she said that I could be starting menopause. My cycle has changed slightly I use to be 7 days but now I am 4 1/2 days. Even though my cycles have been coming exactly 28 days apart, usually the first day is the worst, I am extremely heavy, the other three days are extremely light. I have also been experiencing night sweats, during the middle of the night I feel like I am going to literally burn up, I get so hot, the air conditioner is on 70 degrees, not to mention that I have a ceiling fan blowing directly on me. The only thing that seems to help me cool off is to get up during the night when I start to get hot and lay on my leather sofa, the coolness from the sofa helps me fall back to sleep. Thank god for leather. It usally lasts for an hour or so and then I can go back to bed. The good thing is that it does not happen to me every night, but there does not seem to be a pattern of when the night sweats occur.
by sal48, Aug 24, 2007
I'm so glad that I'm not alone.  I believe I have been going through menapause since last Nov. so nearly a year now.  My periods have stopped (which I do like) but out of the blue I'm gaining weight right in my mid section.  I exercise nearly everyday, I do crunches, run, try to eat right and nothing happens.  I have even taken natural water pills to see if that would help but so far no.  I havent seen my doctor yet but plan on making an appt.  The other symptoms I have are hot flashes, getting irritable easier and just plan mad due to my weight.  I think you were right.... starvation is next!  Thank y'all for sharing.
by Jaye Bird, Sep 03, 2007
by Jaye Bird, Sep 03, 2007
I am a 45 year old woman and I thought it was just me.  This is just making me crazy.  I thought the less I ate, the more I gained.  I don't have any one special in my life because I don't feel sexy anymore.  I don't even date because of the enormous weight gain.  I found myself eating one meal a day now.  Suddenly out of nowhere I ballooned and I won't even get on a scale.  Nothing I wear fits me anymore and I don't want to go shopping for new clothing because I don't want to accept what is happening to my body.  I need help because now depression is setting in.  I am hungry and I am afraid to face the world.  I even quit working because I don't want people to see me.  I have dumped the man in my life because I felt unattractive.  My periods are out of control and I can't sleep most nights.  Everyone I ask gives me a different opinion of what is happening (all of my friends are older and have gone through this).  My moods are batting home runs out of control and I don't like who I have become.  People tell me that I am beautiful and I just want to hide myself in the house alone.  I am online right now looking for relief.  Thank goodness this is not in my mind.   Thank you ladies for being here.
by spade07, Sep 05, 2007
Hi I am a 37 year old going through menopause since last November.I went to my obgyn when i was experiencing migraines,hot flashes,and emotional mood swings.My Doctor put me on premarin hormone therapy,at the time i was walking 2-3 miles a day after work 4 times a week plus going to curves and aerobics.I started to notice weight gain in my waistline so i joined weight watchers.I was a member of weight watchers before and was able to loose weight in the first weeks I would loose up to 10 pounds.This time I lost about 3 then the next week i would gain 5.I got frustrated and quit. Now I have gained 11 lbs. and i don't even have the energy to walk on my treadmill for 10 minutes and have no desire to do anything .Why is there no special diet to follow or help for women going through this? It is bad enough to feel  
the way we do going through menopause then add on top of it the lack of control you have on your weight it is down right depressing!!! Thank you for being here.
by cmtkids, Sep 07, 2007
HELLO ,
IM 47 AND MOVED TO VA. FROM FLA. THERES A MIND CHECK.  WE HAVE BEEN HERE A YEAR AND A HALF AND IN THAT TIME I HAVE GAINED 23 POUNDS. TEN POUNDS IN ONE MONTH. NOT TO MENTION IM ON A MOUNTAIN AND 96 ACRES INSTEAD OF PALM BEACH..TALK ABOUT HORMONES, HOT FLASHES AND EVERY MONTH AROUND THE FIRST AND 3RD I START CRYING AND THE DEPRESSION STARTS IN AND THE FAMILY RUNS!  SEX HAH THATS A JOKE..WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO US. OH YEAH NO PERIOD SINCE APRIL..I FIND MY ONLY FRIEND IS A 500 POUND GRIZZLY.. AND ONE SICK DEER...HELP
by kt5, Sep 12, 2007
I am 47 and I can't believe there are so many out there experincing the same thing I am.  I have always had to watch my weight since I had a problem when I was younger.  I am very cautious of my weight and have worked hard to keep it were I am comfortable.  In the past 8 months my weight has gone up and it is mainly in the mid section.  It is very depressing when you are trying very hard to maintain, exercise and still gain.  I too have hot flashes that come on and feel like I am burning from the inside out.  The worse is when I am at work and I can't really go anywhere  to cool off!  Thank you all for sharing, it makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone or wierd!!
by sensatve12, Sep 21, 2007
Hi, Im 47 and going thru this same thing. Weight is piling on and the sex drive is all but gone. I thought the 40s were suppose to be the best times?! Ihave had by-pass surgery and so I have to be careful what I eat and take as far as vitamins.
Any suggestions???