Rapid Weight gain/menapause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Rapid Weight gain/menapause?

I am a 43 yr old. women who has always exercised and has always had to watch my weight.  Over the years I've successfully stayed at a healthy weight by following a low-calorie (sometimes low carb) way of eating and have always exercised.  In the last year and 1/2, I have gained 25 lbs. (15 in the last 6 months) while continuing to diet and exercise the entire time (I have changed nothing and in fact have increased my exercise).  This rapid unexplained weight gain has me going crazy.  My thyroid has been tested and is well within normal range---my Dr thinks it's all just due to menapause--but this seems SO excessive especially for someone like me who is SO disciplined with my diet and also with exercise.  WHat else could this be???? WHat tests should I have done and/or what kindof dr. should I see? an endrocrinologist???
Hi there - Glad to hear I'm not alone.  I'm 46 and have gained about 25 lbs. in the past 12-15 months also.  I have had my thyroid removed but doctor says thats not it (it was removed 16 years ago).  I'm having hot flashes too.  All of this weight seemed to hit my waistline.  I look like I'm 6 months pregnant!!! and nothing fits or looks good.  My partner told me this morning I had a beer belly (I immediately began to cry).  I have been trying so hard but can't get rid of it (it just keeps coming).  I guess starvation is the next step!  Just thought I'd let you know that I think your doctor is right and we are classic female examples (unfortunately).  Thanks for sharing :)
Add one more to the group, I am 48 years old. I have been the same weight for almost 5 years, even when I ate a lot of fattening foods and no exercise, I would within 3 days be back at my normal weight, and now within the last four months I have gained 25 pounds. I could not understand why. I mentioned it to my doctor the other day and she said that I could be starting menopause. My cycle has changed slightly I use to be 7 days but now I am 4 1/2 days. Even though my cycles have been coming exactly 28 days apart, usually the first day is the worst, I am extremely heavy, the other three days are extremely light. I have also been experiencing night sweats, during the middle of the night I feel like I am going to literally burn up, I get so hot, the air conditioner is on 70 degrees, not to mention that I have a ceiling fan blowing directly on me. The only thing that seems to help me cool off is to get up during the night when I start to get hot and lay on my leather sofa, the coolness from the sofa helps me fall back to sleep. Thank god for leather. It usally lasts for an hour or so and then I can go back to bed. The good thing is that it does not happen to me every night, but there does not seem to be a pattern of when the night sweats occur.
I'm so glad that I'm not alone.  I believe I have been going through menapause since last Nov. so nearly a year now.  My periods have stopped (which I do like) but out of the blue I'm gaining weight right in my mid section.  I exercise nearly everyday, I do crunches, run, try to eat right and nothing happens.  I have even taken natural water pills to see if that would help but so far no.  I havent seen my doctor yet but plan on making an appt.  The other symptoms I have are hot flashes, getting irritable easier and just plan mad due to my weight.  I think you were right.... starvation is next!  Thank y'all for sharing.
I am a 45 year old woman and I thought it was just me.  This is just making me crazy.  I thought the less I ate, the more I gained.  I don't have any one special in my life because I don't feel sexy anymore.  I don't even date because of the enormous weight gain.  I found myself eating one meal a day now.  Suddenly out of nowhere I ballooned and I won't even get on a scale.  Nothing I wear fits me anymore and I don't want to go shopping for new clothing because I don't want to accept what is happening to my body.  I need help because now depression is setting in.  I am hungry and I am afraid to face the world.  I even quit working because I don't want people to see me.  I have dumped the man in my life because I felt unattractive.  My periods are out of control and I can't sleep most nights.  Everyone I ask gives me a different opinion of what is happening (all of my friends are older and have gone through this).  My moods are batting home runs out of control and I don't like who I have become.  People tell me that I am beautiful and I just want to hide myself in the house alone.  I am online right now looking for relief.  Thank goodness this is not in my mind.   Thank you ladies for being here.
Hi I am a 37 year old going through menopause since last November.I went to my obgyn when i was experiencing migraines,hot flashes,and emotional mood swings.My Doctor put me on premarin hormone therapy,at the time i was walking 2-3 miles a day after work 4 times a week plus going to curves and aerobics.I started to notice weight gain in my waistline so i joined weight watchers.I was a member of weight watchers before and was able to loose weight in the first weeks I would loose up to 10 pounds.This time I lost about 3 then the next week i would gain 5.I got frustrated and quit. Now I have gained 11 lbs. and i don't even have the energy to walk on my treadmill for 10 minutes and have no desire to do anything .Why is there no special diet to follow or help for women going through this? It is bad enough to feel  
the way we do going through menopause then add on top of it the lack of control you have on your weight it is down right depressing!!! Thank you for being here.
HELLO ,
IM 47 AND MOVED TO VA. FROM FLA. THERES A MIND CHECK.  WE HAVE BEEN HERE A YEAR AND A HALF AND IN THAT TIME I HAVE GAINED 23 POUNDS. TEN POUNDS IN ONE MONTH. NOT TO MENTION IM ON A MOUNTAIN AND 96 ACRES INSTEAD OF PALM BEACH..TALK ABOUT HORMONES, HOT FLASHES AND EVERY MONTH AROUND THE FIRST AND 3RD I START CRYING AND THE DEPRESSION STARTS IN AND THE FAMILY RUNS!  SEX HAH THATS A JOKE..WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO US. OH YEAH NO PERIOD SINCE APRIL..I FIND MY ONLY FRIEND IS A 500 POUND GRIZZLY.. AND ONE SICK DEER...HELP
I am 47 and I can't believe there are so many out there experincing the same thing I am.  I have always had to watch my weight since I had a problem when I was younger.  I am very cautious of my weight and have worked hard to keep it were I am comfortable.  In the past 8 months my weight has gone up and it is mainly in the mid section.  It is very depressing when you are trying very hard to maintain, exercise and still gain.  I too have hot flashes that come on and feel like I am burning from the inside out.  The worse is when I am at work and I can't really go anywhere  to cool off!  Thank you all for sharing, it makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone or wierd!!
Hi, Im 47 and going thru this same thing. Weight is piling on and the sex drive is all but gone. I thought the 40s were suppose to be the best times?! Ihave had by-pass surgery and so I have to be careful what I eat and take as far as vitamins.
Any suggestions???
Hi.......I am so pleased to know that I'm not going mad !!! I thought this was only happening to me. After having shed 3 stone ( and keeping it off for over 2 years) and feeling on top of the world, I started to go through menopause. In 9 months I have gained 3 stone plus. I am constantly tired, unable to sleep more than a couple of hours at night without waking, have hot flushes and feel so bloated and unattractive that I just want to stay home and hide. I am usually so outgoing, but all these symptoms are really getting me down. I am 50 but feel about 75. I eat sensibly and exercise every day and yet am still gaining weight. My doctor blames my hormones, but cant come up with a cure.
so what about the basically no sex-drive? Is there something to help out with that? Anyone have any answers? I used to be Mz Sex-Drive now its about down to none. My husband understands but hates it.
OMG, I am 45 and done with it. I gained 25 lbs in the past year. I exercise, walk and don't eat fattening stuff. I am freaking out. Sex drive doesn't exist. I am having a doctors appointment on Thursday. I better come up with something, to top it off I am married to somebody 10 years younger. I am open for suggestions. help
I went to the Dr. last week and she told me that when you reach menopause you should cut back on your food intake by 20%.I think that even if i just eat fruits and one meal a day i would still put on weight .
Hi....It seems that we are mostly just saying what we are going through and realizing that other women are doing that same thing as we are.  I need to know about the sex drive and what is happening down there.  I think I am drying up.  Everything seems to be thinner, less responsive and drier.  I am not taking any replacement hormones.  I have not had a period for 18 months.  My calcium levels are low, my mood swings are under control right now, but I know that as I get less sun light that will change.  But the thing that bothers me the most is the sex changes.  What can I do to plump up the lower lips and increase the juices?
I am 59 and have just stated the whole menopausal symptoms.  I can relate to all of you with the mood swings, hot flashes, lack of libido but the worst is the weight gain and where I have gained it.  My question is:  we all are having the same problems and the catch 22 of weight gain which leads to depession which leads to weight gain etcl  Any experts out there with a natural solution to losing weight with no pills.  I would love to hear from someone!!

Wow - so glad I'm not alone.  I'm 40 and I've gained 15 lbs in the last year. Like most of you, I exercise and watch my diet.  I've worked with a nutritionist who told me I don't eat enough so I tried adjusting - no luck!  I just saw an endocrinologist who suggested I see a psychiatrist so that I can get my depression under control which will allow me to make better choices and exercise more.... interesting considering that I exercise 7 days a week and vigorously!  He also told me that my night sweats are probably anxiety attacks in my sleep.  Yes, he really said that!  If anyone has any suggestions or if I ever get to the bottom of this nightmare, let's keep in touch!
I have just gotten some wild yam cream and also wild yam gel, which is supposed to help with the vaginal symptoms.  It's because I'm a later mama and am nursing, which has dried me out as effectively as full-blown menopause.  Will let you all know if it works.  I got the wild yam cream at a health-food store, and the wild yam gel from a website.  The nice thing about the gel is that it has no scent.  
I have gained over twenty pounds in the last year....I look like I am pregnant (even though I know that I am not), and haven't had a period in over three months.  I recently saw my family doctor complaining of not only the missed periods,but also night sweats, hot flashes and constant irritability.  I thought that perhaps she would prescribe a low dose birth control pill but she said to try black cohosh, and drink or consume lots of soy products. So far, I feel no relief and the weight gain around my mid-section is continuing to grow larger.  I already suffer from depression and I truly am afraid of what is happening to me.  
I'm 52 and gained 20 lbs in one year. I feel like a walking egg. I'm losing my middle section to become one with my boobs and my belly. Nothing fits, who wants sex when you feel so round?
Anyone have anything that helps? I was on jenny craig but all of a sudden like someone wrote I lost 5 got all excited , went back on the scale and gained 4 from "the air". I feel so discouraged and then will power has been an issue. I feel like "who cares" anymore but I do care...
I suggest that eveyone have their thyroid checked every 6 months or so while going through menapause or pre-menapause. I actually lost weight(12 lbs), but felt terrible, fatigued had diarhea (diarrhea), rapid heart, eyes were getting blurried, anxious, a few months of no periods & got worried as to the weight loss as I was still eating plenty. Dr. said I had a Hyperactive thyroid, had put me on Tapazole & now I have gained the 12Lbs plus, but feel a bit better. The endocrinologist said that so many woman get thyroid problems around the menapause years, but as it mimicks menapausal symptons they fail to get their thyroid checked. You can be OK, borderline or slightly low or high & need to keep rechecking it in a few months to be sure it hasn't changed. My Dr. hadn't checked my thyroid since 1991. I don't know why unless it was an insurance issue. Yes, I now have gained weight, but will try to diet or do something to lose this weight.
Tina
I am really glad I found this forum, I thought I was going crazy or just geting lazy.  I am 47, no sex life at all, which we are ok with for now.  But the weight gain and hot flashes have about driven me over the edge.  Everyone is quick to tell me what to try but I am not one to take a pill.  But I have tried a couple and I think they made it worse instead of better.  I had a hystrectomy when I was 27 but would not take anything because I figured 20 or 30 years on something was way to long.  But the weight is my big issue, I can live with everything else.  I have never been small, 5'5" and weighed around 150 all my life, I was content with that and I could maintain it.  But now I am 180 and still going no matter what I do, HELP.   tummyblues

I feel for you...who knew about this menopause thing! Take a look at my profile. My situation I realize is different from  yours, but you might find some help/hope there...and, do pick up Northrup's book if you can. I still pick it up from time to time....loan it to friends going through this...such a great help. Things can get better!

Sincerely,

Mary
I think I posted my comment on the wrong forum!  I am having different symptoms.  Just had a checkup, EKG, normal.  Thyroid normal.  Now am having rapid heart.  Am glad I found this forum.  The weight gain is awful.  Fatigue, but the rapid heart scared me.  Glad I read it here that some of you have this to.  I did hear of a cream you can get your pharmacy to make to help symptoms.  Have any of you heard about this?
I am glad to hear that I'm not crazy.  I am 38 years old and I was told last year by my gyno and fertility specialist that I am in menapause.  I have gained 25 lbs in the past year and this week alone I have gained another 5.  Yes the weight gain in awful and  have tried the wild yam cream hoping that this would help my hormones and make me lose wieght but of course it hasn'e .  Sex--- you don't even want it!!!!  Help!!!

Rolly Poly

I am copying a post (I try not to do that...sorry!) from my answer to you from another post on this forum. You might have seen it already, though.

Hope this helps. You may also be thinking of the estrogen cream called bi-est. It is a combination of Estrodial and Esriol. I have used that but over the past few years I have gone back to the Estrodial patch, Vivelle, which is a bioidentical. But, I would not use this withou the Progesterone for balance, amongst other reasons.

Check out the info on my profile and some of the posts on bioidentical hormones if you wish. I am not a doctor, but I have been researching this issue for years....and, I have used these products for years, too.

Take care, Mary

I am sorry to hear of your struggles...I can relate, but that is probably not much of a comfort.

I would highly recommend you pick up Northrup's book on Menopause. I think you would find it very helpful! It was and still is a lifesaver for me.

Sorry...my hands are bad tonight (winter excema) and I am  typing at a snails pace.  

I can get back to you if you wish.  I typed a ton of info on hormones on the Hysterectomy site and the ovarian cancer site. My profile has a "My Posts" link, as all profiles do, but there are over 550 posts in my name....YIKES!  But, sift thru if you wish.

Sorry I cannot type much. I have cortizone cream on most
fingertips (:

How long have you been on the cream? and did you try the Progesterone cream ever?  

Mary
Crazyat46....here is the post whcih I forgot to copy!!
**************************************************
Hoping you read my profile. I will try to add even more (if Medhelp lets me make it SUPERLONG!). I think  you are thinking of the Progesterone cream. I use that, only I use a much higher percentage than that which is sold over the counter, although there are a few good brands that are sold over the counter that have natural progesterone in them, like Femgest and Progest. I felt the best when I added the Progesterone. AMAZING. But, it will get confused with Progestins...the synthetic stuff, if you ask the wrong doctor. IT is an amazingly confusing subject.

Check out Dr. Erika Schwartz's website and also Women to Women  ...started by Northrup (Wisdom of Menopause, by Christianne Northrup, MD). That book is my bible. And, you don't have to feel crazy, but if it helps, I know what you are talking about....I felt that way, too.

Did you have ovaries removed during the Hysterectomy?

Take care, Mary
Hi I decided to go on line tonight to find out what the real symptoms are! Now decided that they are so varied and mine seem to mirror those I've read. I feel hugely bloated certain times of the month and have disctinct popping feeling in my groin for several days followed by oversized breasts which ache and sometimes itch! My stomach bloats and I feel just awful. I seem to be all top heavy during certain days of the month and then after about a week or so things seem to go back to normal. I have night sweats but so far no too bad! I seem emotional, and put this down to my teenage son and not menopause! think differently now!
how r you? Ijust got finished reading your message...it's been awhile. How's it going? I'm 52 and am CRAZY!!!!! Can't take these mood swings...I of course direct all of them straight to my husband. I want a divorce one minute and the next, can't wait to see him. Please help me !!!!I Need some suggestions on something natural to take...
I feel better since reading these comments.  I'm 42 and have been told by my gyno that I'm menapausal.  I'm having irregular periods, mood swings, depression, etc.  But the weight gain is driving me insane.  Lost 50 pounds on weight watchers eight years ago.  Exercise five days a week, but have put on fifteen pounds in the last year!!  I'm not doing anything differently so I don't understand. My dr. wants to put me on a birth control pill for my symptoms.  Does anyone know if this will help with my weight gain by evening out my hormones or will I gain even more weight?  Losing hope.
Reading everyone's comments is helpful. Some days this is hell.I understand that some people do well on birth control.
Some days are killer. I'm 43 sweat like a pig, cry ,yell, feel crazy , can't sleep,bleed or bloated ,to many more to list, and on top of that gained 25 pounds. Worst of all  my boy friend is unkind and not understanding.It does'nt help that my favorite person ( my daughter ) is going off to collage.Just call me cabby cry baby. Good luck to all.
ps; estrovan at the heath store is helpful
Hi, I am 48  and have recently gained 25 lbs just like that at first i thought it was just depression but lately have been very cranky and unable to consentrate I am hoping that this is due to memapause and not any other problems I dont like anyone anymore and i have to children to bring up how do you tell them well for I dont know how long mommy is going to be a ***** so just go away and leave me alone I am trying some herbel medications and hoe to get some sleep one of these nights and I am happy to see that I am not the only crazy lady in the nieghborhood
i am 56 years old and have had a hysterectomy when i was 28 i weighed about 112 pounds all my life but last year i gained 36 pounds i am weighing in at 160 now i am truly discourage i do not have thyroid and i always wondered if you would gain weight later on in life during menapause but i have had everything removed at the age of 28?
It is comforting to read that I'm not the only 45 year old women who has gained weight for no apparent reason.  I have gained 15 pounds in the last year, I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, I eat approx. 1300 - 1400 calories a day and I don't drink.  I can only imagine if I really porked out and was drunk all the time.....well maybe  I would feel better - ha!  I'm just frustrated because I don't know what to do anymore.  My dr. has no advice other than to tell me I'm getting older - WOW, really!!!  I would love to have some ideas on what to do as it is extremely frustrating.  
I am 48 years old and my weight is horrible.I have quiet smoken and not only have I gained weight from that,but sinse I have been in menapause I have gained more weight.It has seem like no matter what I do my weight will NOT COME OFF!
Thanks for the posts.  I am 41 and was on the pill for 3 years to help with perimenopause symptoms.  I went off of it because of an increase in migraines with aura.  Since going off Yasmin, I have gained 17 pounds while eating less.  Its very sad but has allowed me to buy new clothes!  Dr. can't explain the weight gain medically but has suggested progesterone replacement for migraines and anxiety.  He is also testing other hormone levels.  I have done a lot of research on bio-identical hormone replacement therapy which my Dr. doesn't really "perscribe" to.  So I will continue the search for the fountain of youth.  If you find help, be sure to blog!
Hi, 40 somethings....
Take a deep breath and don't worry, there are solutions to your symptoms. Menopause may be normal but not everyone gets it. I am a Naturopath and have been dealing with women's hormones for some time now.
The best way to describe the synthetic hormone use is that your hormone receptors are like a jigsaw and the hormones are the jigsaw pieces. If the hormone is not natural i.e. a direct replica of our natural hormones then its not going to fit into the jigsaw and you are going to get a whole lotta different problems.
To the lady who is on Premarin.....did you know premarin is taken from a pregnant horse? Dont mean to scare you but its not an exact fit...
Bio-Identical progesterone is what you ladies probably need , it is acn exact replica of our own progesterone and it is the feel good hormone that decreases with menopause. Most doctors will prescribe oestrogen (synthetic) and it isnt what we need.
Check out the women's health section at my website, it might make more sense, there are lots of things that can upset our hormones and contribute to weight gain.
One more thing... I would suggest you get a salivary hormone analysis done, this will show your available hormone levels.
Good luck,
Hope that helped a little

Kristin
Hi ........I went into early post menapause at 43 and I had the irretability, hot flashes......AND the slight middle section......I have not had a problem with weight gain till about 8 mon. ago and my weight kept climbing mostly the middle... i joined Weight Watchers and lost 5 , gained 3 and lost no more .....I joined a boot camp  3 days a week and it has helped immensly on the aching joints. I am seeing muscle tone but absolutley no weight loss....I even increase calories like they said......went to Doctor and he too said it is menopause and some women will gain and I was one of them....I thought no way! I quit WW and joined Jenny Craig  and stuck to it except for the occasional wine....so far  3 lb. gain...FRUSTRATING, I'll give it 3 more weeks. I want to prove the doctor wrong...I have been using Estroven extra strength for sweats and mood swings, which has worked wonders.  For depression it is a great oppurtunity to clean up the past and move forward..... I am amazed that I am not alone here......keep forging ahead hopefuly there will be some kind of a break through!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE
i'm 43 hysterectomy at 30 have 1 ovary ,growing cyst have the same issues,  gyno did a ca125 neg for ob-gyn cancer , waiting on fsh and lh for peri- meniipasal  thyroid is normal yet multi goitoris muscle pain heart sweats etc etc grrrrrr my vit D was dangerously low , on 50,000 unit 1 pill per wk for 1 month and retest  , now 99% of the time any thyroid issue will cause vit D issues i'm hypo symptoms , i'm hoping this wt gain will subside , i told the gyno no hrt i'll drink soy milk and vit E for my symptoms  he said its a placebo effect i said good then its safe ! alot of woman swear by this!
oops my endo agreed my thyroid is normal levels however he said hes putting my thyroid to sleep to quiet me down i'm on 50mcg graduating to 100 mcg  should stop the painful neck and the vit d 3 should quiet my pain its been 3 days feeling better!
Hey,  glad to know that  i am not a lone in this weight  gain. And every thing  that could be wrong IT has been so hard . I try DIET PILLS for a month . went to a DR. The pill like to cause me to lose my mind.  I stay  hungry all the time!  I went for my yearly check up and asked the GYN.DR  about PROGESTERONE CREAM .I had to do a salva test. IT cause me three hundred dollar.   My insurance would not paid it. I have been on the cream  for two weeks nothing has change yet. I heard it takes as long as three months. This is suppose to help with weight, sex ,hot flashes, and depression. I have read so much on it. HOPE IT WORKS! ( Had a complet hysterectomy  two year a go ) I went from a fourty something to a seventy year old. Life has been so hard.
At age 40 I started gaining weight.  I also had trouble with my memory - so much I thought I was getting early Alzheimer's - - - but I just blamed it all on my stressful job. My mom laughed that this is what happens to you when you get old.  Yearly checkups indicated that I was perfectly fit -- my doctor just preached to me that I needed to exercise more and eat less.  In May, now aged 43,  I had my yearly checkup and my doctor decided that I needed a break from the BC pill(I"d been on it for about 3 years). By this time I"d collectively gained  more weight(20 lbs) over the past 3 years but again got the same speech - Eat less, exercise more.  At my 3 month follow up(and 7 more lb weight gain) the doctor did blood work for thyroid problems and I asked him to check my hormone levels at the same time. Reluctantly, he did.  Later the doctor called me in shock.  My bloodwork revealed that I was post menapausal.  He apologized and swore he'd never thought this would've been the problem as I really hadn't experienced any symptoms other than weight gain.  He even told me to go out and celebrate.  I'm down and out about the weight gain but elated that my doctor actually found something wrong - - and that I"m not completely crazy!
I thought I was going nuts!!! It is really some comfort to know that I am not going through this alone. I'm 40 and out of nowhere I've gained @ least 20lbs and cannot seem to stop! My moods r Crazy, and within minutes I go from happy, depressed and completely full of rage. My confidence is gone and I cannot find cloths to fit me properly. My periods r all over the place!! From 1 in 2-3 mths to 1 for 3 wks on and off!! I Used to feel sexy and now I want to hide. Oh and Sex, what is it like to want it?? I feel Empty and I am not the Happy person I used to be. This is a mental torture from Hell!! I feel like I've lost myself and eventually I will loose the man I love because I don't even want to be with me.
Well, I am 52 and started gaining weight around 40.  It started like 4 or 5 lbs. a year.  By 45, I was in the menopause.  I am post menopausal now, and the weight has added up to about 40-50 extra lbs.  I have tried everything--I have always watched my weight and exercised, counting calories since I was a teenager.  I did Weight Watchers, E-diets, a cardiovascular diet from my doctor, low-calorie plans, low carb.  Nothing has worked.

To make things worse, I have other medical problems:  high blood pressure (weight gain does not help this), high cholesterol, osteoarthritis in my knees and feet, hypothyroid (medication did not stop the weight gain), and now fibromyalgia.  I feel terrible, achy and tired and in pain every day. I could care less about sex.  Everything is very dry and it's uncomfortable, plus the extra weight.   I'm depressed.  I don't feel good and I don't look good.

I wish I had some answers.  Doctors look at me like I'm just a lazy, fat old lady.  They don't understand.  I think part of the problem is that this doesn't happen to ALL women.  I have two sisters who are still slim and don't have pain and health issues.  There are women at the gym I go to that look great and they are even older than I am.  

If I could lose some weight, it would really help with my knee and feet pain.  If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!
Cindy,
Have you tried natural hormone therapy. Try getting a salivary hormone analysis and see where your hormones are at, sounds lke they're all over the shop! Natural hormones (bio-identical hormones) can really help some women with weight gain and moods, facial hair etc. Fibromyalgia is a pet of mine...I have it. I find SAMe works wonders, it increases circulating serotonin and helps with the pain - double whammy - depression and pain relief. I also adopt a low oxalate diet and that has also improved my pain. After 4 years I am nearly pain free.
Good luck
Kristin
I have had all of the same sypmtoms as everyone on this post! Used to be a skinny active thing, and in the course of 3 years, without changing a thing, am tired, achy and getting fat! Gained about 18 lbs in 3 years while working out and continuing to watch my diet.
I have recently had good luck with at least feeling better and being able to stop the hot flashes with Phyto B..it is a natural estoril/progesterone supplement. Still not much help with the weight..I just have to watch it like crazy and gain at the slightest indiscretion...seems the ONLY thing that helps me is upping my aerobic activity to 6 days a week for about 45 minutes....and adding light weight lifting..and even then I mostly stay even or lose a bit and I mean a BIT at a time..
Good luck..sure seems like the short end of the genetic straw to me!
kristen, I'm interested in natural remedies. Can you tell us more? I had to push to get my hormones tested last week. The doctor was real reluctant because she said I was too young for Menopause. I'm 43. I still haven't heard back on the test results.
I'm thinking about going to a Naturalpathic doctor or nutritionist and spending the money to get my own tests run.
I've had the mood swings (crying at the drop of a hat, extra sensitive, etc.) It's driving my husband crazy! I mentioned it to the doctor and she just wanted to put me on an anti-depressant. I'm not depressed! I also have been having incredible breast pain every month for the last few months. They hurt so bad I can't even stand the shower. Is this a symptom of perimenopause? I can't seem to find much on it.
I also gained some weight. I try to eat healthy, for the most part. I don't think I have hot flashes yet, although I get up throughout the night to check the a/c or heat because I'm either too hot or too cold. That drives my husband crazy too, lol.
Could any of these be signs of perimenopause? I tried to post this a couple of other places but no one seems to really know.
Like I said, I'm interested in the more natural way to go for everything. I'd like to hear what you have to say. Also, you mentioned a website but I didn't see it? I hope you're still around. I noticed you last posted last month. Oh well, I figured it was worth a shot!
I too am a bloated wreck, I am 52, my periods have just become 'weird' my most recent one lasted for 2 weeks.  I have been struggling with weight issues for the past 2 years but by and large maintaining an even keel at 148 pounds.  I watch what I eat, I 'jiggle' (walk 1 mile and run back) every day, always take the stairs, park at the far end of the parking lot etc., but have gained 8 pounds in the last month.  I had figured some of the weight gain was due to my period so didn't worry but now it has finished and I am heavier than before, help.  You mentioned a web site but didn't put a link.  Hope you are still watching, thanks.
Sorry, I have not logged on for a couple of weeks, so I've only just got your messages. My website link should be in my profile as I am not allowed to put it on my posts.
April, 43 is not too young to be going through menopause, I think you should change doctors. The mild temperature change in the night indicates that oestrogen production in declining which indicates more of menopause than perimenopause. With a dcline in oestrogen, there comes a decline in progesterone as well. Most doctors though will give you synthetic oestrogen becuase this helps to protect the lining of the uterus. Unfortunately if you are given oestrogen (especially synthetic) it will worsen the symptoms that you already have. Progesterone is the one thing that I can reccomend in balancing the oestrogen and the male hormones. If you have your ovaries you will still be producing a little oestrogen but a fair amount is produced in fat cells, so if you are overweight, it compounds the problem....then add in the synthetic oestroen and you have big 'fat' problems!
If your breasts are sore premenstrually then this is a lack of progesterone. I'm glad to hear you got some saliva tests, I just hope your GP is proficcient in reading them, a lot of doctors will say they are normal and you wasted a lot of money, this is because they are used to reading blod tests. Get a copy of the test and if you like let me know the outcome of the oestrogen and progesterone in the luteal phase, there should be more progesterone than oestrogen. Luteal phase is 15 days before your period.
Hope this helps a little and I will fix up my profile so you can access the website.

Cheers, and P.S. I know how difficult it is to find someone that is compassionate, but remember, you are going through a syndrome, it is not depression unless you have had your serotonin levels tested. Antidepressants most of the time will cause more weight gain and that can lead to more unhapiness.
Kristin
Thanks for writing back! I still haven't heard from the doctor. And it was a blood test not a saliva test. Is that better? And is there certain things I should ask for to be tested? Because I asked the doctor if I could get my hormones checked and at first she was like "What do you mean by hormones?" So, I'm not even sure she tested me correctly.
I told her I've had a lot of anxiety and that stress was getting to me more and she started to write me a prescription for Zoloft! I told her I wasn't depressed and I wasn't interested in taking an anti-depressant. Then she wanted me to talk to a counselor and gave me someone's card. So, I guess she just thought I was a basket case and was just trying to get rid of me or something, lol. I wasn't real impressed with her. It was the first time I had seen her and she just seemed rushed and didn't really want to hear everything I had to say.
That's why I'm thinking about going out on my own and getting my own testing even though we probably can't afford it. I just want to feel better.
I'm especially interested in nutrition and what role that plays. I've been bugging my physical therapist about what supplements and vitamins he takes since he's in to all the natural stuff. I am interested in all of that. I just feel like nutrition plays a huge role in everything, how we feel, etc.
I just don't know enough about Menopause because my mother was thrown into it at an early age since she had a hysterectomy. So I can't even ask her.
Thanks for writing back! I feel like I have so many questions. There's so much I want to learn!
Sounds like you should investigate a naturopath or complementary doctor who is a bit more compassionate about your situation. You're right, I think your GP is a bit rushed for time, I think when you give them these symptoms, it goes in the too hard basket so they put you in the depressed basket....a basket case!
But no we are not basket cases, we are hormonally disrupted.
A hormone blood test is different from saliva. A blood test only shows hormone levels that have already been taken up by the blood whereas the saliva shows what hormone levels are bio-available. This makes a big difference, the blood test could come back normal and you really need to be saliva tested in the luteal phase, not just any time of the cycle.
You can actually source the saliva tests and do them yourself. I am in Australia so when someone does one here, they have to have a doctor or naturopath to sign the form, you may not have to wherever you live? The cost is round AU$120-200. It depends on what you get tested for - oestrogen, pregesterone, DHEA, testosterone etc. You may want to get the lot tested, there are many good natural remedies to treat these disturbances.
Nutritionally, all I can suggest is that you have a healthy and balanced diet but do lots of exercise. Exercise makes us feel great, its not much fun thinking about HAVING to do it but after, you get a rush and you feel on top of the world.
I'm sure if you do a web search for salivary hormone analysis, there will be lots to choose from and they may be able to tell you who you can go and see, or  they may send you one.
I really feel for you becuase you have started a vicious cycle of no-one wanting to listen to you and everyone thinking you are depressed. Just keep searching and asking, you will finally find someone that you will click with and they will be able to help you.
The natural hormones can be prescibed to you and made up by a compounding pharmacist, otherwise you can buy it on the net, but you need to know what you need, it may be DHEA or pregesterone or anything, you cant really guess.(although it sounds like you need progesterone to me)
Keep me informed if you have any other questions.
Kristin
IM 36 AND FOR THREE YRS I HAVE BEEN BATTLING WEIGHT GAIN, MISSED PERIOD FOR MONTHS AT A TIME AND THEN ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, FOGGY MIND AND FINALLY THIS YR I WAS GOING THRU HOT FLASHES, SO WENT TO THE DR. SHE SAID I HAVE PERIMENOPAUSE,

TRIED PROVERA FOR 10 DAYS NOTHING NOW SHE WANTS ME TO GET ON THE PILL, WELL IM TERRIFIED I AM GOING TO GAIN MORE WEIGHT ON THE PILL (CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS) BUT SOME SAY I WONT B/C IT WILL HAVE THE REVERSE SIDE AFFECT I WILL LOSE WEIGHT IN MY MID SECTION AND UPPER BODY WEIGHT GAIN DUE TO THE LACK OF ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE IN MY BODY.  THE PILLS WILL REPLACE MY LOW HORMONES  AND THE BODY WILL LET GO OF THAT STORED BELLY FAT B/C IT WONT THINK THE BODY IS GOING THRU FAMINE. OMG!  I JUST WANT TO LOSE THIS DAM WEIGHT!!!! IM TAKING VITAMIN, IDORAL (IODINE), CLS, LECITHIM, FLAXSEED, VITAMIN B COMPLEX, AND L-CARITINE. TO HELP ME IM DESPERATE.
Yovi,
If you are experiencing weight gain mostly in the torso then you may have more testosterone than needed. I am 'suggesting' that you may be low in oestrogen and progesterone, these two hormones will balance up the male hormones.
If you are oestrogen sensitive you may not be able to tolerate the Pill, the Pill can also make some symptoms worse, such as weight gain, depression and anxiety, everything you mentioned..... If you have taken the Pill before and its been ok then it may make things better.
My suggestion would be (as it has been to others) is to have a salivay hormone analysis, this will give you a reading of your circulating hormones, not the already taken up hormones seen in blood tests. Yes it will cost you and you usually have a problem finding someone who will perform it, ring around some Naturopaths to find out.
Your options in treatment if it is indeed your hormones is using Bio-Identical Hormones, they come in a skin cream and highly effective, they are from plants but have the same chemical makeup as our own hormones so there is no side-effects from our body reacting to something foreign.
Vitex agnus-castus is another herb that stimulates our own production of progesterone, it is very effective.
As for diet, tis a good idea to stick to a diet that inco-orporates a lot of fish and vegetables, this stimulates the hormone LEPTIN which gives us the full feeling so we don't eat more. Get a good sleep at night, this also stimulates LEPTIN. If you are a nightowl, the hormone GHRELIN is stimulated which makes us feel hungry.

Good luck with everything.

Kristin

P.S. Oh and just so you all know, anti-depressants such as Zoloft WILL cause weight gain in most people, try to avoid it if you can....
I am 52, and have been going thru this for 9 years.  I don't really have the hot sweats but I do get either very hot or very cold.  Rarely feel comfortable.   The weight gain is the same as most of the other women.  25 pounds seems to be the magic number for alot of us.   The raging moods are the worst.   My mind seems to fill with a rage I've never known before.  I'm frequently tired and it seems so hard to focus at times.    I thought I would be done with all this by now.  Five years ago my doctor said I was almost done.  I've gone 8 months with no period and poof its back.  This last time I went 11 months and thought OK....I'm home free...and than in July, one month before my wedding, it hits.  I've had my period every month since.  And my new husband has a wife who is hormonal as can be.  I've gained this weight in the 3 years weve been together.  He doesn't care about that.  But I feel YUK!!  Is it really reality, or is there something else we can do to fix this.  
I'm so glad I found this site!! I was beginning to feel so alone and felt like I was the only one with this problem. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2000, and had my left ovary removed in Sept. of 2008. I have been gaining weight since then and now am 20+ lbs. heavier than I was. I blame it on menapuase but don't want to accept the fact that I am getting older. I'm dating a man nine years younger than me and I know he loves me and my wieght, but I just feel "BLAH" all the time anymore. I have been on Zoloft for about 17 years and am trying to ween myself off. I'm down to 25 mgs. now. That's all the medication I take now. I've had so many surgeries on or near my abdomen (C-Section, gall bladder, ovary cyst drained, ovary removal, hysterectomy, DNC, lapro, four colonoscopies) plus some out patient procedures. I was taking Naproxen and Spironolactone and just stopped taking those. I've had to go back to my doctor two different times since the removal of my left ovary and get an injection in my belly (where my left ovary used to be) because of scar tissue and a trigger point. It's not been an easy ride, but the shots seem to help and I can stand the pain of the needle alot better than I can the pain of the scar tissue. I know I need to exercise and eat right, but it is just so hard!! I used to be this little petite thing, and everybody used to say I was soooo cute!! I don't get any comments like that anymore and it's very depressing. I just want to feel good again. I've had my thyroid checked and blood work and my doctor says I'm fine. My hormone levels are right where they need to be. So what is my problem? I'm not a lazy person, but do need to exercise more. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Hi, I am 43 and had a few things going on at once.  It started in Oct when it felt like I had a urine infection, it would burn when I pee and it only lasted a day. Thought it may have been something I ate-dunno. late Oct my periods were out-of-control! I was double padding with super-duper plus torpeedo tampons and still leaking through! I felt like I was hemeraging and gonna die. I started having this every 2 weeks, then every 10 days. I went to the dr and asked to be checked for Fibroids. Nothing. January, my urine started to have a strong odor. I went back to the dr. and he did a battery of tests to see what is up with all this. I had a very serious blatter infection right up to the kidneys. I had to have 3 bouts of antibiotics to clear this up. So what I thought were "hot flashes" I was having, were fever spikes. Well, the "hot flashes" continued after the infection was cleared and then by the end of March poof... gone were my periods and never to be seen again so far. I am bloated and not sleeping at night I am frustrated with my body and lack of sex drive and energy- I have good intentions to exercise, and then talk my way out of it every time. I was always self motivated. Now..... geesh I feel so lazy!
The dr told me that it was for sure that I was in menopause. I have to say, I'm liking not having my period- but I'm still on guard as I'm not sure really what to expect. The symptoms all sound so similar, yet everyone experiences them so different. I know I'm not at my peak of discomfort in this menopause thing yet, and I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it, but I'm just glad I don't have the "crazies"..........YET. lol wish me luck ladies!  :)
Lisa
Wow--I am so glad I found this forum. Up to now I thought I was alone in feeling this way. I'm 42 (almost 43) and have been experiencing night sweats, mood swings, heavier and longer periods with spotting in between; forget about libido--if I never have sex again I'll be happy. One year ago I did the Weight Watchers program on my own and lost 20 pounds--and today I've gained it all back. And  that's watching what I eat and taking natural supplements.

My dr has checked my thyroid and hormonal levels, which supposedly came back "normal" but I'm not settling for that. I'm not the hypochondriac type, but I just know there's something not right with my body and the way I feel. I'm going to see an endocrinologist, who hopefully can help me.
Thanks to all my "fellow sisters" out there for being so transparent!
I am 61 and have gone thru all this all ready!

Products I used:  That helped me!
Vitex - Bring back your brain
Change-O-Life - Give you sleep - plus more  (Good Blend of herbs)
B12 - energy
Omega -3 Mood Formula - (Good Blend has DHA)
Green Tea - Good for All - Tablet and Tea
Evening Primrose Oil with Vitamin E - For me stopped dryness and promote the fsexual feels to return and the will to want to have a great sex life again!
Flexseed oil - for Well Being.
Mega Multi Minerals - for Well being
Calcium - for Well Being
Acidophilus - for a Sweet Body - for Well Being
Sun-Chlorella - for nutrients
A LOT OF WATER .. When you drink .. drink as much as you can.
RAW FOODS DAILY:  2 Apples - Banana - Carrots - Celery
Oatmeal Daily
String Cheese Daily
Yogurt Daily
Wheat Bread only OR No Bread ... Wrap Lunch with Romaine Lettuce
Protein
A Large Green Salad

EAT ALL DAY..... NO FOOD AFTER 6:00

Email me: ***@****  
Hi, I'm 48 years old and like the rest of you girls I was always  aware of my eating and excersied regularly. The past year or so I am like a completley different person.  I have gained 10lbs in less than a year and for someone like myself who is petite and 5"2 I feel extremly uncomfortable.  I do cardio more now than I have ever done in my life and it seems to be getting worse! I have become depressed, where I always enjoyed people and socializing I just want to stay home.  I  no longer have a relationship because my mood swings just come out of nowhere and I can't seem to get along with anyone, men or women. I was always considered to be a pretty girl but now I feel like no one would want me.  My periods have become so severe that I had to have an endometrial ablation in hopes it will lessen the flow.  My doctor has nothing to say, he almost thinks it's comical when I start to cry because of the way my jeans and clothes fit me now.  It is comforting to read that other women feel the way I do. Of course none of my girlfriends no what I'm talking about. Anyway thanks for reading
Actually I'm sorry I'm not the only one having this problem. It's sounding a lot more complicated that it should be. I quit drinking sodas, exercising as least three days a week, taking supplement. Really trying to make a difference, but just keep gaining. It's really starting to scare me.
I never weighed more than 115 before age 30, in my 30's I weighed 120. I always what I wanted and didn't worry. Then at age 40 I gained 25 lbs in one year. I am now 45 and 50 heavier than I have ever been. I watch what I eat but found even fasting or starving doesn't help, the weight will not come off. For the past 5 years I have been hot all the time, moody etc.. I am having hot flashes several or more times daily now and my period is now 44 days late. Glad to know I am not the only one having problems with the weight gain. I am single and with all this weight I suppose I will forever be single now.
just turned 50...I have been menopausal since early 40's. Hot flashes subsided...thank god!
I was determined not to gain weight so did the beverly hills diet when I was 42. went from 164 to 128...I got a little carried away and it did not look too healthy on me though.
So I started weight lifting with my daughter at 46, excersing and high protein diet...over the last 5 years I gained all back no matter what I do. Just got on scale and in 6 months gained 15 lbs...its nerve racking. so Now I am going to try portions,,,small meals all day long ..definitely stay away from bread and pasta!  Its is nice to know I am not the only one....
So sorry to read of your many difficulties with weight gain & menopause issues!  I had many years of chasing my tail trying to get reasons & answers for those many symptoms also.

Eventually I found a wholistic Doctor - that is a Dr that approaches treating you by looking at the whole picture of your health issues & trying to find the causes of your problems rather than just treating the symptoms - who got blood & saliva tests done on all my hormones.

Working with a Chief Compounding Pharmacist I am now on slow release T3, slow release 7-Keto Dhea, Bio-identical Progesterone cream & slow release Cortisol which the compounding pharmacist makes up specifically for me as it is gives the body the correct supply at the start of the day.

(Our body would normally produce cortisol during the night for the peak supply to be available first thing in the morning. It gets used up during the day so that by evening you are quite low & ready to build the supply up again during the night. Unfortunately the Pharmaceutical companies make Cortisol in tablet form that you take every 4 hrs. That works against the body's process and often causes heat waves, fast pulse, shortness of breath etc.)

Cortisol is given for Adrenal fatigue or exhaustion. This condition occurs often after the Adrenal glands have been overworked for a period of time to compensate for Thyroid fatigue or dysfunction not picked up through standard blood tests.

That's what happened to me. I was told for years that my Thyroid was in normal range.Yet I gained up to 25kgs!!  After 10 yrs of excessive weight gain, depression, inability to think clearly or function daily, total collapse in fact & many doctors later, the above Doctor found that my Thyroid was not functioning & I was suffering from chronic Thyroid & Adrenal exhaustion!! My T3 & T4 had different low readings & my RT3 had a reading of 911 which is about the highest the Thyroid specialists in Sydney had ever seen! RT3 blocks the T3 receptors from getting the T3 produced by T4 in the body, hence thyroid dysfunction.

Now, after having lost a decade of my life, I can get back to living and reaching goals. The 7-Keto Dhea is also helping with the weight loss & the energy has increased so that exercise is possible again. I have had no menopausal symptoms at all or any othersfor that matter for the past year. I'm now 55.

Many Doctors unfortunately treat women for menopusal conditions when in fact their health problem is with the Thyroid &/or Adrenal glands. Sometimes they can occur along with the start of menopause, which makes it even harder to diagnose. But it is vital that they search for the cause! You too can be proactive for yourself.

Check out this web site to find out more about these issues & what you can request your Doctor to investigate.The qualified info here was a Godsend for me & my Doctor is rapt to be able to get this info to treat her other patients.
                                www.custommedicine.com.au
All the best girls
Hello..I am 46..had a partial hysterectomy about 15 years ago and have had night sweats for about 12 years now.  I went through hot flashes (need something frozen to even dry my hair after showering) about 10 times a day or more then found Natrol AM/PM for Menopause.  It took about 40 days but did finally start working and really helped.  Now I've gained about 15 pounds in a month...5 of it since last week.  OMG....I look 6 months pregnant..the only clothes that fit are my sweats and I feel like bought the wrong sized shirts.  Every time I move they roll up and expose the round and not so jolly feeling belly that has grown where my tummy used to be.  I don't sleep well..am getting depressed..have no energy and NO sex drive anymore.  It's like I am a different person.  I see a lot of posts from women going through the same things that I have been.  Did anyone find any real help or answers?  I have been exercising, cut out diet sodas, drink more water and am eating better but just gain, gain and gain.  
Tks for the info on thyroid.  I have had hypothryroid for years now and i often wondered if it wasn't being regulated correctly because no matter what i do, how much sleep i get, i always feel exhausted and wonder if it might be related somehow.  I'm to the point where I was thinkin I might have chronic fatigue syndrome.  I might need to try a different approach.
Thank you for your forum!  It comforts me to know I am not alone.  The only other thing I can add besides the fatigue, weight gain and depression is my incredibly craving for salt.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I just turned 47 but have young children, ages 9 and 12. I have always been an energetic mom, but now I can hardly get out of bed sometimes. I feel like I'm disappointing my children because I started a little later in life.  Also, my body is extremely sensitive to all medication. I worry about taking hormone replacements when I finally hit menopause.

Thanks!
I too am feeling comforted by the fact that I am not alone....
as a 47y/o I have been so frustrated by the increasing weight gain, bat wings, belly fat, etc especially, like many of the other woman, I work out daily, do yoga several x's a week, and eat a healthy diet...and still the belly weight, heart palpitations, hot flashes, and other new, weird mind/body experiences occur almost daily.....

Reading others experiences allows me to not be so frustrated with myself (and I have been for about 6 months now),and relax and come to a higher level of love and acceptance with who I am and embrace my new belly as a celebration of entering mid-life and having made it this far.

I'm grateful to be here
Hi ladys, I'm glade I'm not so alone. I'll be 52 this November. I started having menapausal symptoms this last January. I have gained 42 pounds this year alone. I walk every day,  so its not like I set on my but all day. I have hot flashes as well. I have no desire to have sex, and when I do have it, I just want it over with. I to use to be mz sex drive. Just what the flip is going on? No mater how much I try I just keep gaining more. I use to have a small stomach, now it looks like I swollowed a very large beach ball and hafe of it got stuck in my butt and thights.
And on top of it all I have Hypothyroidism and take 225mcg of thyroid medication a day for it. I'm just at the point of giving it all up. and find a buch of cats to take care of. And forget the world around me, here Kittie, Kittie, Kittie.....
Hi, I am 45 years old, married and mother of two teeanagers.  I read your post about adrenal fatigue.  I had terrible sleep interruptions that began right after 911, and went to a sleep  specialist, tested and I have active brain waves, where I would barely get into stage 2, then take myself out of stage 2 sleep.  After putting up with that for over a year, I was exhausted.  I managed for about 3-4 years after that with some sleep aids.  However, still I am not at the full vital feeling of energy.  I am a Fitness instructor and someone was telling me about their situation and that they had got a testosterone pellet.  So I went to see if that would help.  They did a blood test and all my female blood counts were of what the dr. says "an 18 year old" except for testosterone which was so low like a 10.

Ok, I thought maybe this is the magic to getting full rest and energy.  I have no hot flashes (cold flashes sometimes) where my hands and feet feel so cold.  I sometimes get that brain fog, and my sex life with my husband is fantastic, my periods are every 28 days, sometimes I wish the first two days were a little lighter, but not complaining.  I work out and eat healthy.  I may have 2 glasses of wine a month and never smoked.

The pellet made me sleepier...and then it did clear up some morning brain fog, but I still couldn't get myself moving in the morning like I remember.  And, I found that I would get a "second wind" around 10pm at night, and couldn't fall asleep until 1am.  Even with a sleep aid.  It increased my already active sex drive, a little overkill.  But, the worst, is all of a sudden I gained 20 pounds.  I work out every day, and teach fitness classes and train clients, so I am beat at the end of each day not to mention taking care of my family, cooking cleaning, homework.

I suspicioned Adrenal fatigue and went to a naturopath and did a saliva test and yes I was out of cortisol in the morning when I needed it, and got it high at night.  Now, from a compound pharmacy I am taking cortisol, pregenolone, and take melatonin at night. I am ready to sleep at 10pm...YEA  It is working for me.  I still cannot shed this weight gain.  Any ideas...still normal on periods, still no hot flashes, great sex drive.

I am relieved yet puzzled. I am 40 years and I had a weight on 30 pounds in 4 months. I do not look or feel like myself. I have seen a general practioner, rheumatologist, endocrinologist, and a neurologist. All I have to show for it are normal test results and a ton of bills for labwork, MRI's, and x-rays. I'm tired of feeling sick and tired. My joints ache and my muscles hurt. I have arthritis in my back and bulging discs in 3 vertebrae. Feeling pretty sucky right now.  If anyone has any ideas, please relay them.
Hi ladies,  you are not alone.  I am 46 and have not had a period for 6 years.  The hot flashes started about 7 years ago.  In the last two year the wieght has packed on just as you all have said right in the middle.  Now I an depressed, tired all the time, sex no way( my poor boyfreind)not for a year, fat, and just plaindont care.  I use to have tons of energy.  I am considering some sort of natual homone replasement like black cohash, I already drink soy milk that helps. Things are just worse. My drive is gone. And I to thought the 40s were supposed to be good. This ***** 7 years how much longer?  The 50s are suppose to be better, but my syptoms (symptoms) have gotten worse. At least is good to know I am not the only one:)
I'm 42 now & believe I'm in perimenopause. I gained at least 10lbs in the past 4 mos. That doesn't sound like much, but at 130 it's one pants size. I cannot afford ANY new clothes & have been at the same size for 10+ years so it's kind of a big deal to me. I've also been experiencing hot flashes (feel like I'm going to spontaneously combust) & very bad mood swing with bouts of anger increasingly for at least the past 2 yrs.

What I want to share it that I tried Estroven (see estroven.com) & it helped tremendously!! Everything got better. It contains black cohosh & soy. Unfortunately I had to quit b/c black cohosh should not be taken with anti-depressants which I take as part of my treatments for MS. I still feel this is a great natural supplement for perimenopause. Just make sure it doesn't interact with any other meds. Best to be safe.

I've also had to decrease my calories each day by about 700/day. Used to be able to eat 2400 & maintain 135lbs, but now I have to stay around 1600. I did manage to lose the 10lbs tho. Something else that seemed to help a LOT was to cut out as much salt as possible. Even today I had a bag of micro popcorn & gained 5lbs of bloat from the salt. Maybe we become much more sensitive to salt as we approach menopause? Not sure but this really worked for me. Good luck to all!
PS - also forgot to mention that I cut WAY back on soda - lots of sodium there also. I now drink more water with lemon. It isn't easy to make drastic changes & it does take time, but you can get the results you want. Keep trying!
Thanks for the tip about Estrovan.  I'll try it.  I'm 57 and my periods just stopped about 4 months ago.  I've been having hot flashes for the past year.  A friend told me that if I cut out caffeine and alcohol, it should reduce the hot flashes and it worked!  I completely cut out both for 3 weeks and found that I was only having one very occasionally instead of several a day.

In the last few months, though, I think I've put on 15 pounds - all in my middle - which was already too big.  Nothing fits.  I bought pants two months ago that are already too tight.  I don't know what to do about this ... it's so frustrating.  

Also, I notice that I'm really tired and my brain (which usually works great) just isn't as sharp.  I can't remember if I've done a particular thing or not and have to check - sometimes more than once.

Does anyone know how long all of these things continue?  Do they last for a year or two or go on and on?  I read that the reason put extra weight around their middle at menopause is that estrogen is stored in fat, and that your body adds fat because the estrogen is cutting out.  So I guess you live off of the stored estrogen in your fat.  

My mom is 80 and she's been able to be thinner the last few years but really struggled with her weight in her 50's and 60's.  She says menopause was "too long ago" for her to remember much about it!  So she's not much help for me.

Linda
  I am 46 years old and I went through menopause at 36. I was always small, but I am gaining weight and I find myself falling asleep when I sit down. I am exercising and watching what I eat and like many of you I still am gaining. Has anyone had any new developments that can explain this or any solution to help? I just want to stay healthy and to have energy. Thanks for any help.
Glad  to know that I can identify with someone about the rapid change in my body.  My stomach is so big, can't fit none of my clothes.  Can't remember anything long.
I just turned 46 at the end of January and am on my third month with no period.  Since October I have put on 23 lbs.!!!!!!!   No matter how much I cut back on food or drink more water, or how many times I use the stairs instead of the elevator, or how many times I go walking, etc., etc., every Monday morning I have gained anywhere from 1 to 3 lbs., especially the last few months.  I've always had a weight problem, but I have kept it under great control for the last two years.  Like you all, I don't know what else to do but starve (and I guarantee I would still gain weight the way it is going).  I am very self conscious about my weight gain, especially after just losing 53 lbs. two years ago.  Now I find everyone I know staring at me like "geesh, look at how she let herself go", but I REALLY HAVEN'T.  I continue to live the same way I have been to lose that 53 lbs.  I don't want to travel because I can just imagine how people react when they see what I look like when I just saw them in the summer and was so thin.  Now I look like a fat tub (overflowing waist, stomach is like 5 months prego, butt spread).  I feel disgusting and I'm sure everyone can see my attitude change.  If anyone has any super cure, please let me know, even if it takes time.  I'm tired of hearing people tell me "you're just lazy".  Of course to them I must be "lazy" if I've put on so much weight!!!!!   It has really helped me understand, though, after reading all your comments that I am not alone.  Paloma :(
I'm 45, and have been going through the menopause for the last couple of years.Ive always been slim, and trim but have,over the last year gained weight and gone up two dress sizes.I've managed to stabilise my weight with sensible eating,I cut out all processed food and sugary foods, and though I havent shifted all I wanted to ,Ive arrived at a place of contentment with who I am now.So I just wanted to say to all you ladies that the biggest hurdle in all of this is really accepting who are are now, and not what you were 10 years ago.You just have to embrace the different YOU .......so much is made of youth and beauty we forget the all the different levels of womanhood and are afraid just cos we have a little excess round the mid section,we're not as important in society or as beautiful......of course this is a load of tosh...we still think the same, we still love the same.The biggest 'river' to cross in the menopause is realising we can fight time nor the process.I look back on my life and I'm happy to have got this far and am looking forward to the road ahead.....be kind to yourselves and remember you're still ALL woman .....The heart that beats inside of you tells you that.
I'm turning 50 this year, and am well on my way to menapause. I haven't had a period since last October. I don't have the hot flashes, only some night sweats. I was very very irritable for the last year or so, and wanted to kill everyone.

I think the worst part is the feeling that you are out of control of your body and mind. I feel fat all the time, and can't fit into my clothes. I have nightmares about gaining weight. If I weren't on medication now, I don't think I could survive. I am on Lamictal and can control my emotions and anger somewhat. It's definitely better than before I was taking them.

I've always watched what I ate, and have never been able to eat much. Now I feel I can't eat at all, but I still gain weight.

Life *****.
Hi I am 50 years old and have experienced all of the above symptoms.  I know they are awful but there is hope.  Get Melatonin I take 2 3mg tabs a night helps with sleeping and mood swings.  Do not drink coffee at all avoid caffiene and stimulants, do not use any artificial sweetener's.  Avoid all salty foods and drink soy beverages.  Also, Black Cohash might help but causes bleeding and bruising.  Wear a tshirt to bed.  Keep a fan going in your room and leave the window open.  Sleep in as little as possible.  Keep having sex don't stop KY will become your best friend.  It is like being a teenager again.  Try to stay active physically 20 minutes a day minimum.  Do not eat salty or fatty foods.  Try to eat more vegetables and salads.  You should eat as much foods with soy as possible or soy rich foods. Low fat, low salt and not too much carbohydrates.  The key is to control your sugar intake, the more insulin you use the more you will gain weight.  If you can eat a grapefruit a day.  Will help to regulate insulin.  DO NOT TAKE HORMONE REPLACEMENT...this is a natural process...do not fight it...embrace it and enjoy your life again.  Hormone replacement will just make it worse, eventually you will have to stop taking them.  Go au naturel as much as possible.  You will just gain weight from the hormones anyway, right where you don't want it your stomach.  You need support, find friends going through the same issues.  Most women are ashamed of menopause it is really odd. They hide it from everyone and think it is something bad that will go away on it's own.  Your hormones are changing and your body is changing it will stabilize and you will feel better.  Get active, read, try to relax, listen to music.  Don't blame anyone this is a normal process and will get better.  The problem is our society does not embrace this time for women.  It is a time of shame and that is very sad.  Soy is your best friend.  Take omega 3, evening primrose oil can help too.  Drink lots of water, avoid hot beverages they can cause hot flashes.  Good luck hope this helps.
I am so relieved to find this blog.  I have gained 40 lbs in the last five years at a 5'3" that means 5 sizes.  I have a thyroid nodule yet my thyroid levels are normal.  My joints ache, my mood is sad and withdrawn.  I have no libido and feel fat and ugly so being single with no partner for consolation makes it even worse.  I just turned 49 and my period is regular but super heavy and my iron has been low for almost a decade.  The iron supplement is so constipating and I bleed so much each month that any progress made just gets depleted the following month.  My Mom transitioned into her menopausal years smoothly so I read that generally women follow their mothers and grandmothers symptoms so depressed about that too.  Thanks for listening and know that you are not alone!
I cant sleep b/c I have been so worried and baffled by my body's sudden change. I just googled suddent weight gain and no period and this post came up. Just last year when I turned 40 so many people mentioned how lucky I am to have such good genes to have such a great figure and so much energy. They were all absolutely right and I felt very blessed. It is almost a year later and I have gained 30 pounds and dont even want to leave my house and feel lethargic.I still exercise like crazy and am a health nut. I did add carbs back to my diet but am mostly healthy. I am anemic and my gyn asked me to track my periods and all of a sudden they stopped! They went from every 21 days to not having one.  I read all these posts and empathizedw ith every one. I completely understand and am equially as miserable and yet reading all these posts made me feel so sad that we all (me included!!!) put so much importance on our physical side, our weight. I am down b/c I dont look the same...Im heavier...but otherwise I am the same person. We put such a premium on physical looks and age. It is really sad. We cant change it for us but maybe we can help change things for our daughters. I dont know how but after reading how sad all of us are it seems imperative.
I just read your comments and to some degree  i agree with you that most of these comments are about our looks..Most women want to look good in order to feel good. My problem is i have been a diabetic for 20 years and i have just recentlly started experiencing menopause and sometimes i feel like i can't take it..the hot flushes,,,the anxiety..the heart pounding..mood swings. and upon reading so many of these comments no one seems to have any ANSWERS...so sad my Dr. said there really wasn't anything she could prescribe for me except maybe some anxiety pills..no estrogen for me cause she said i was a high risk as a diabetic...ladies keep faith that eventulally maybe someday a female can find a cure...as i believe that it would have to be a women that would have to find a cure for something that mostly all women will go thru..even though i just found out that apparentlly suffer thru this as well.
cat in tx
I am so glad I found this site..I've had surgery for 3rd stage pre-cancer of the cervix..A yr and 1/2 ago started having pain in left side, they 1st thought it was ovaries then decided it was diverticulitus..I gained around 40 pounds in a months time..Went from 140 up to 219 pounds in a matter of a few mths..I don't have insurance and I have asked and asked for my hormones to be checked, I have the hot flashes & NO sex drive anymore at all..Feel SO tired and blah all the time..Started me on paxil..The doctors just won't listen, they act like I'm just stupid..Matter of fact 1 told me to KISS---keep it simple stupid is what he said it stood for..I said if your calling me stupid then your right, I am stupid for letting this go on for over a year now! I started taking DHEA, I have felt so much better but I've read so much about it that I'm getting scared of the cancer risk..Anyone else take this? At this point any suggestions would be helpful..

Thank you & it does make me feel better to know other people feel this way BUT I'm sorry for everyone going thru this..Just doesn't seem like it should be this hard to get doctors to listen!
Im in the same boat, did weight watchers and that helped for a few,, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and still gain weight ,, what is the best way to lose
Hi ladies I'm 49 And have been going threw the same things. My weight bothers me the most, just started working out, but I really don't see any improvement yet . I feel like my body is turning into a box of oatmeal. And my waist used to be the smallest part of me. I too gained 25lbs, But I quit smoking too. Its been 8 months. I've been thing about starting back just for the weight problem. Thats just not right!!!
I am 45 and have recently experienced some of the same symptoms due to menopause.  Some doctors will prescribe estrogen cream to help with the symptoms but I can't take it because I had breast cancer.  My doctor told me that certain anti-depressants can help.  He put me on CELEXA, and I have noticed improvement.  
my goodness, i am scared about this menopause even more than I was at starting puberty!!! What do men go through????
i have started to feel some symptoms of menopause...i guess.
i am not going to go to any obgyn about it at all, for it is clear...
(itchy, crawly skin at nights; my head/hair itches and scrathes even when I wash the hair; heavy sweats during sleep; a few pounds added within one month...without eating much... .
I used to have a longer menstruation, but now it is down to roughly 2 or 2.5 days.The first day sort of OK but day two is almost nothing and day 2.5 is just alight spot here or there! and and and, the list goes on.

I just turned 40 a month ago and I can say I really see the menopause coming already.
just found this site and it has been such a relief to read your comments especially on weight gain. i was beginning to think i was losing my mind. had a hysterectomy over a year ago and since then have gained 27lbs. have never been heavy. this extra weight is just piling on especially around my middle. excercising and not overeating its still going on. i now feel if i even sniff food im bloated and an extra pound heavier. so depressing. thanks for your comments
I'm 45... Just starting with these symptoms.  I hope it doesn't go crazy for me.  I've always been very  active and thin....gained about 10... I'm going on 6 very small healthy meals...approximately 2.5-3 hours apart and it seems to be workin.v to stop the gain....may be insulin resistance.  I'm taking cinnamon and krill oil supplements and calcium.  I'm no expert just trying what I know to try.  It's not going to get me....cutting down can cause your body to go into starvation mode and insulin resistance causes your body to turn all foods to fat and storage....so the best I know is lot of small higher protien lots of veggies.  And walk ride run lift whatever but stay active and stay positive....if you think it....it usually happens....
O hate my weight since having menopause
Will the weight stop when menopause stops in a womans life?
Thank Goodness i found all of you lovely girls with the same problems as me! I actually feel lucky that I've not gained as much as some. I hate it when all the advice is conflicting. I started training for half marathons two years ago, but still followed/follow Slimming World and usually the low carb days. Now I am nearly 45 and my weight jumped quite drastically even though I do an hour of cardio a day. In the end I've accepted its muscle/menopause and I've given up weighing myself.
Hi I'm 44 and glad to know that I am not alone.  Within the last year, my body has changed.  I used to be fit and tight and now I'm all jelly with cellulite!!  I thought I was pregnant.  I can't be going through menopause yet, but my hormones must be out of whack.  I think I'm going to starve myself to lose 20 pounds that I gained.  Never thought it would happen to me!
I am 43 and gain 15 pounds in 6 months. What a fix for this?
How are you doing now?  I'm 49 in April.  I quit smoking last Jan 2011 and immediately gained 25lbs. (I actually look 9 months pregnant.  My stomach has always been flat). I thought it was from just not smoking (shock to my body, no metabolism).  However, I'm realizing that I may be  in perimenopause.  Period is now 3.5 days with day 1 being heavy.  Low sex drive.  I just went to Life Extension and got a battery of hormone tests.  Waiting for those results.  I'm 5'3 too, and this weight is hurting me.  I'm in sales so I need to look my best. Joined Orange Theory Fitness to get this belly weight off me.  You should look into the OTF studio.  It's amazing.  Not a gym, but a studio.

I've made feeling healthy my top priority.  The weight has to come off, but if it doesn't, I still want to have a glow about me.  

At our age, we have to remember to live too!  Most men look and act like old men at 50.  So, it's not like we need to attract their attention.  We should just focus on ourselves.  I remember what Dr. Phil said to Oprah, "So, you can't eat all day and not gain weight like your friend who has a great metabolism, get over it!  It's just not in your DNA.  Does that mean you can't live your life?"  That really resonated with me!

Good luck to us!
Everything that everyone is saying.....it's me!!!!   I gained 30 lbs in one year.  As of a 1 year and 1/2 ago....I had six pack abs, and it seemed over night....I have a fat full feeling belly.   My boobs hurt and are huge.  I always had full legs and a booty, but now they are just bigger then ever!! lol! My period is every 21 days (for the past 4 years)  It used to always be 28 days. I spot bleed all the time too.  On weight watchers now....not loosing a pound.   Took diet pills too....nothing.  I have always worked out.  4 days of one hour stairmaster and light weight training.  Nothing.   Even my husband is stumped. Had bloodwork done...everything is fine.  I had my tonsils and andenoids removed last year, sometimes I wonder if that caused my weightgain :/   It ***** to be a woman!!  HELP ME!!  Thanks and my heart goes out to all of you..... :) sue
Never listen to a Dr. who tells you that your thyroid hormones are fine! I am 41, have both Type 1 Diabetes since 1981, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2003. Since 2001, my local fire/rescue station has come out to tend to multiple, severe hypoglycemic episodes (last March 3x in 8 days)! I have almost killed myself, as well as others because of near fatal car crashes in the disoriented state that accompanies hypoglycemia ( I am severely hypoglycemic unaware, thus my brain cannot give me warning symptoms, and I pass out, have seizures, etc.). I was diagnosed hypothyroid, after a severe hypoglycemic event in which I was apparently acting disoriented even after they sugar levels upto 250ish! Luckily, I did not incur brain damage, but this is always a fear of mine!
Doctors need to check both T3, as well as the usual T4 for hypothyroidism. When I was placed on Cytomel (T3) in 2008, it was like a miracle for many of my symptoms, which truly do resemble menopausal symptoms. Very few doctors use T3 replacement because they don't know how to dose it properly, as it is a very sensitive medication. Alot of times, the T3 may technically be within lab ranges, but every patient has their own personal optimal range, most of the time being way in the upper end of the range. For example, my cytomel was increased from 110mcg to 112mcg last year, and when my T3 was at 116 (range 70-200), I felt physically ill! But the increase in T3 made most of my symptoms get better (still have problems with hypos, but lost 13.5lbs in just 3 weeks) Interestingly, a different doctor made the change, as the previos one thought it was my...REPRODUCTIVE HORMONES!!!!!!! Doctors are frequently wrong with these type of things. Not to say that your not going through menopause, but hypothyroidism, no matter how mild, can frequently cause weight gain seen during menopause.
As so many have already said ... I'm so glad it's not just me!  I'll be 46 in April (god, did I just say that out loud?!).  I've always been "average" sized, not stick thin but not overweight either, have always been able to eat what I want and not worry about my jeans not fitting.
I will admit I've had a rollercoaster year with health problems (gall bladder, endometriosis .. had to have my ovaries removed) all the while battling ptsd from a violent relationship in my past.  But in the past 5 months I've felt mentally and physically stronger and generally really good, particularly compared to before.  I'm eating well, lots of fruit and veggies, very little junk, I'm off all medication except for a tiny hormone dose to keep away hot flashes, exercising daily, meditation, yoga, the whole 9 yards, yet I've recently gained about 15 lbs and I just don't get it!  I'm trying SO hard to be good (no cookies!) and I'm exercising my butt off and for some reason it's not working.
I'm 45 too. I'm only 4'10 and have weighed 98-100 lbs. my entire life. Over the past 14 months.. I've gained 16 lbs for no reason. I was working out with a personal trainer..steady gaining. I eat like a bird so it's very frustrating. Doc says my thyroid if fine! Weighing 115lbs.. I can't wear any of my clothes..don't want to get new ones cuz the same brands I like don't fit right anymore. Some people may think 115 isn't much anyway, but I'm very short and all the weight is in my stomach and on my back.. yeah bra roles... disgusting! I pull my big purse back as far as possible when I walk in an attempt to hide the fat rolls. Now in the past 6 months.. crown of my head is thinning and I have coarse black hair growing above my lip. Yuck! Extremely oily skin and hair. Eratic periods. Had a fraxel laser done on face and started Retin A Micro 3 weeks ago.. now I'm gonna ask Derm to prescribe me Spironoctalone for the excess oil and zits. Also I feel bloated every day like I just ate a huge meal. My hands are always swollen..had to get my rings sized up. That med helps with fluid retention too. I'm desperate for some relief. I've tried every trick even starving myself.. I can loose 2-3 lbs then it's right back within 3 days.I call the 40's the ugly stick.. feel like I'm falling apart. I don't want to go anywhere cuz I feel so unattractive and depressed. I know there's no miracle cure for this perimenopause..just want someone to throw me a bone!! Just a little relief. All these problems rip ur self esteem right out from under you. I'm not even the same person anymore. I try to smile but it's difficult to. I had my hormones tested last year and my progesterone was 1% basically a post menopause level. So I think I've got some serious androgen problems going on. If anyone has any suggestions.. please post. Thanks for listening. Kim
omg,that is exactly what happens to me..I also get up and fall back to sleep on my leather sofa...I need to be near a toilet constantly as my bladder is in overdrive...I have been hitting the gymn hard and that helps..although the night sweats are more of an inconvenience for me.I have a male doctor and am seriuosly thinking of finding a new one.The last thing women of our age need to be told is basically thats life get over it,sadly I have to sleep by n
myself as my husband has a high performance job and he needs his sleep without me disturbing him.To all those women going through this..its not just something that occurs,there are some great things you can do to make this transition easier...thank the lord for the internet!
I am also having the "thicker stomach" weight gain.  I'm divorced, 49, 5'2", last summer I was in a size 3, and I felt and looked sexy, I loved it!  I have worked hard my entire life to remain healthy, fit and keep weight under control.    Now, I'm at the gym every night after work and I find that I'm almost starving myself and yet the weight continues.  
I've had everything medically checked and got no answers other than menopause. I've battled depression and anxiety and have been on medications for over 10 years.  

I know menopause is around the corner (most likely in premenopause now). I had to find larger sizes of shorts (11-12) today and I almost started to cry while trying things on.  It's already in the 90's here in Las Vegas and it's only April; it's going to be a long summer.
For weeks I have been searching for answers to my stomach weight gain; I'm so glad I found this group.  To know that I'm not alone is helpful; but what now?  How do you get the weight off?  Am I stuck this way forever?  We all have the same issues, but does anyone know what to do about it?  
So glad I found this website. I was finally able to maintain my weight that I lost for the past 20 years. I'm 47 and this is the year that I'm going thru menopause and in one month gained 10 lbs.

I refused to get on the scale because I don't know how much more I've gained.

I struggled with my weight years ago and also struggled with Aneorexia. I don't ever want to go down that road again but this weight gain is scaring the hell out of me.

My question is when does the weigh gain finally come to a HALT??? I haven't eaten anymore than I usually do so I dont understand what's happening to my body. :(
I too have had a recent weight gain.  I'm 48 on the pill because according to my dr my fertility rating was at a 2.  Therefore I could get pregnant.  In the past few months I have gained 10 percent of my body weight.  I only ever had to diet after I had my last child and suffered mommy body.  I lost the excess weight easily and have maintained it for almost 8 years.  Nothing has changed in my diet or drinking habits.  I am on my period right now and I cannot figure it out!!!!  Help!!!!!
I can relate to all of u. I have been small my whole life. I never had to worry a bit. I was a 00. Suddenly, I have no waist. I felt feel full all of the time and I can't get into my clothes. I have gained 20 pounds. I know that I am menopausal and that doesn't help either. I was this big when I gave birth to my youngest. Gezzzz. I am 5 ft 2 and 125-128. I also feel so uncomfortable. There has to be a solution.
I so relate to what you are saying. I lost fice and a half stone five years ago and managed to keep it off. my weight has been reasonably stable since until about three month ago when BAM suddenly I had put on fourteen pounds,literally within a day or two! Couldnt believe it as it was sooo extreeme! Havent had periods for a very long time,hot flushes now under control with natural remedies,but the weight gain has really upset me. I am still ok but am concerend as to why this has happened so quickly and of course concerned it will keep going on. I am an active 52 year old but feel that menopause has something to do with it. Good to read all the other posets and see that this is really common!
you are def not alone...i've been in menopause for six years and gained 25 pounds..i exercise constantly, try to eat healthfully, but nothing seems to work.  I'm not trying to look like Jlo or anything i just want to feel in my game again...my game no one else's. Im very overwhelmed by millions of diets out there and your right nothing seems to work!! The most devastating problem is my entire closet full of clothes that are skin tight, ughghghgh.  Im so disgusted...lets keep talking maybe an answer will pop up!
Hi All,

I'm so incredibly grateful for your postings.  I'm 46 and I have gained 20 lbs. in a year.  I knew it was a hormonal imbalance so I have went to a  hormone specialist whose working with me but it will take time to balance me. In the mean time I decided to do the insanity work out. I'm on my 7th week and haven't lost a pound!  It has been discouraging but I do feel stronger. I can't get used to the gut, tearfulness, hot flashes and sleeplessness...I just keep thinking and praying "This too shall pass" and hopefully my doc can balance me soon.  Thanks ladies for your comments.
I am 30 years old and I have struggled with all my life. I recently gained more weight after I quit smoking after 17 years. Now I don't know what to do? Someone please help me
I just turned 42 a few weeks ago and have gained around 7 lbs in 3 weeks.  I've been doing some research and found some promising news. I'm not sure if this will help with menopause but it's worth a try. I seen this on the Doc Oz show..listed the link below.  Taking an Amino Acid Combination vitamin that contains Glycine, Ornithine, Arginine, and Lysine you can naturally boost your HGH levels by 600ug.  The study in Sept. 2012 found that on average it reversed the signs of aging by 10 to 20 years. Benefits of Increasing HGH (Human Growth Hormone) Levels:

Science has now proven that HGH:
Increases energy, Reverses aging, Restores muscle mass, Improves mood, Improves sleep, Improves cholesterol, Equalizes your blood pressure, Improves your memory, Positively impacts, stomach conditions, lung conditions, and other diseases, Reduces high blood pressure, Reduces high cholesterol, Eliminates body fat, especially in the legs and abdomen, Improves skin elasticity and texture, Restores sexual organ to restore sexual pleasure, Improves the condition of your nails and hair, Improves respiratory & Cardio functions, Better concentration, Better vision, Reduced age spots and wrinkles, More effective exercising, Increase in your bone density, Fat metabolism – HGH enhances your body’s fat, allowing your body to be able to break down fat cells efficiently.

At age 25, your HGH level is around 600ug. By the time you are 60 you only have around 90ug.

Here is the Dr. Oz link....it's 3 parts.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/supercharge-your-body-human-growth-hormone-pt-1

I bought some Amino Complete and just started taking it.  They say you'll notice a difference in 30 - 60 days.   I'll keep you posted!!
I just noticed in the last 6 months that my weight gain is hanging around my belly! Killing me!! I am 46 years old and I swear it happened over night. In the past I have done weight watchers very successfully (at 22 lost 53 pounds and at 37 lost 72 pounds) I have an extra 30 pounds hanging around so went on weight watchers about 3 months ago. Lost 5.2 pounds the first week. 2nd week put on .8 and have successfully put on at least .5 pounds up to 1.8 pounds each week!!!! This is driving me crazy! Help me out! Anyone find a "cure" to this weight gain? I am looking into the 3 week diet plan. I tried green tea pills and Atkins as well as WW. Nothing worked. GRRRRRR.............One of us has to find something!
I'm so glad I found this page- I thought I was either going crazy or had a ginormous tumor growing in my stomach!!!!  I'm 38, and what led me here is this completely irrational weight gain, mainly in my stomach and upper arms.  I feel so gross and fat, none of my clothes fit, I actually bought a corset to control the blob hanging over my jeans...  Like most others here, I get plenty of exercise, I barely eat, but keep gaining weight- I broke 160 on the scale this morning and about threw up.  After reading through here and some other web pages I dropped everything and practically flew to the natural foods store for some progesterone.  Strangely I'm exactly 14 days out from my period today (from what I've read you are supposed to use the progesterone 14 days out from the start of your period?), so I think the Universe sent me here.  Obviously I still have my periods, but they are weird, and range from 23 days one month to 30 the next, with about every 4th month being extremely heavy, to next to nothing the others.  My grandmother went through menopause at 39.

At the very least I'm so happy to know that what I'm going through is normal and that I'm not crazy, so bless all of you for sharing your stories, and bless you, Kristin, for maintaining this page.
I feel like I don't know who I am anymore.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I am completely losing it.  I'm 46, and just like everyone that I've read about here......I just keep gaining weight no matter what I do.  I've always been fit, 5'5 110 lbs.  I used to have a great stomach, once upon a time I had a 25" waist which was just last year, now, now I have only gained 8 lbs but my waist is a 31.  I look about 4 months pregnant!  

My period, I have basically had it three times this month lasting 6 days each time with a few days in between.  Last month it was fairly normal.  The month prior it lasted the entire month which prompted me to go to a Chinese Herbalist.  It worked for a month, then, here we are again.  I stared on Progesterall cream, however it states you start the dosage 10 days after the first day of your period, so, I have taken it all of two days this month.

I thought I'd feel better after finding this blog.....guess it's somewhere to vent since everyone is so sick of hearing me complain.  However, It actually makes me sad reading everyones comments, I feel much more helpless now and realize there is absolutely no solution to anyones cries.  It's only going to get worse.  This is who I am now.

Are you my twin? Im 41 and 11 months. I gained about 20 lbs gradually over a 2 year period. I have always worked out...since jr high. I have consistently worked out atleast 60 minutes 4-5 times a week since 2009. Running, walking, machines outside inside, treadmill, weights, classes, zumba, bootcamp...you name it Ive done it. I have not lost a pound in the last 3 years. I also watch what I eat. No white bread, no pasta, no potatoes, no rice, no junk. My thyroid was off, but when the dr put me on meds, I gained more weight. Im a shorty so the weight is very hard to hide. I had to buy a new wardrobe. I just went to Goodwill to buy clothes because and could not afford to buy so many clothes all at once. My shoes dont accomodate my weight and feet. Im always in pain. I dont date either. I have a little friend I see once a month for jollies. I think he feels sorry for me. Ive never seen an endocrinologist. My thyroid levels within range. I was told I have auto immune disease...at least hypothyroidism for now.
What did the doctor say?  I am having the same symptoms at 48 yrs old.
I am 45 years old. I have been going thru this metamorphous (The Change) since I was 37 years old. I take progesterone cream which helps my hot flashes, night sweats and so on.. It does not help with always feeling hungry and gaining weight. I have gained from 117 to 125 since Jan 2013. I cannot believe this crap us women have to go through. I mean the menstrual era was bad enough. Okay, I am so... done with this. I am fatigued all the time, I am hungry all the time and I feel unattractive, fat and old. I am screaming what the heck is going on with me. We need some answers.
OMG!  This menopause thing is horrible.  I'm 46 years old and I've gained 10 lbs in the past 4 months all in my belly.  I look pregnant!  I'm really not eating that bad, but I always seem to be hungry.  I started menopause vitamins and progesterone cream and it helps somewhat but not with my weight!  I feel so unattractive and ugly and have no desire to be intimate.  
I am in the same boat. Work out 5 tines a week. Watch what I eat. Still I have put on 8 pounds. I can't get rid of it. I'm 45 and active. I need to Lise this weight. I can't imagine gaining more. Uuggh.