Red itchy vagina...with peeling?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Red itchy vagina...with peeling?

A day before I started my period last week, my vagina started itching. I just ignored it at first and continued on with my period wearing pads. Although I have just recently moved to Japan and the weather here is very humid. So throughout my period my vagina was extremely itchy and I could resist and started scratching every now and then. Now my mom just came to visit me recently and told me I have a yeast infection. The one thing that worries me is that the area that is red and itchy is also peeling. I've started using a cream for yeast infection since two days ago, but I am unsure is peeling is natural when having a yeast infection...if that is what I have.

Please help, first time to have something like this.
I have problems with random skin flaking and persistent yeast infections.  I went to the gyno a month ago for skin flaking.  I had external and internal yeast (despite the fact that I was having no white thick discharge).  He prescribed me a steriod and yeast cream to apply externally and a yeast suppository to take care of the internal yeast.  Go to the gyno.  I have had skin flaking before and the over the counter stuff did nothing for me.  He tested me for herpes (which came up negative - I knew I did not have herpes) and sent me on my way with the scripts.