Remove ovaries or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Remove ovaries or not?

I need to have a Hysterectomy to remove a large fibroid that is causing me excessive bleeding. I am 47 yrs old, 2 children and no family history of breast or ovarian cancer. I have been going around and around about whether or not to have my ovaries removed. I know several years ago the thought was to remove them at the time of hysterectomy to prevent ovarian cancer. Now I have read several new articles on the subject saying that the ovaries should not be removed if you have no risk factors. Plus they now know that the ovaries provide more after menopause than once thought. My GYN says to get them out, that they do nothing but cause trouble. She is also thinking about my age, 47, and that they probably won't be productive much longer anyway. I would like to have her take out my left ovary because that side always hurts when I ovulate and it is the one I have had some cysts on in the past. Could I get by adequately on one ovary until I HAD to go on hormone therapy? And what about ovarian failure after hysterectomy? I have read that within 2 years of a hysterectomy, most ovaries fail due to the trauma of the surgery, etc. If you have a hysterectomy doesn't that alone decrease your chance of ovarian cancer? And would your chance go down further if only one ovary was left? I really don't know what to do. I DO NOT want to go on HRT, but then again, I don't want ovarian cancer. I have talked endlessly with my GYN about this, but I need another opinion. I have not had any symptoms of menopause yet and I have heard that surgical menopause is a bear! Any thoughts? Thanks.
hi, is a hystercetomy where they take ur womb out?
if so, this is my opinion, u was born with everything, includin ur womb, so i know it a bit harsh, but u might as well die with it in u, yeah u might run the risk of gettin the cancer but there are treatments for it if u are willing to accept treatment! so my opinion, dont let them do it unless they really have to!!!
If your ovaries are in good shape, i would say keep them,But.....your pretty close in age to the "change of life",but also not experiencing any menopause symptoms, so thats a tough decision.Yes surgical menopause i heard is a bear too, much worse than doing it the natural way. And it's also possible the ovaries, if left in will fail. i had my hysterectomy almost 3 years ago, i'm 30 y/o, and 1 ovary left and it still works.my sisters mother in law had a hysterectomy, and left both ovaries, only to have to have 1 removed 1 month later, and then have the other 1 fail 1 month after that, and she was in her late 30's.it's a tough decision and i would not want to be the one who had to make it. i wish you all the best, and keep me posted hun!!
My dear,

in ten years time it will be considered Barbaric to remove women’s ovaries
this is the equivalent of female castration
and removing the womb also should be a last resort and this soon won’t
be an issue of fertility it will be one of well being.

This will even eventually be also considered unacceptable for pets.

I would like to see men agree to be castrated just because such a thing
As cancer of the testis exists!

No! The ovaries play a large part in the hormonal balance of your body
even after they have officially stopped ovulating.

The attitude that something should be removed in case of something
going wrong it is as if to say that nature doesn’t know what it is doing.

If you think you will be able to replace what nature gives you with
Hormones well good luck to you there were nearly a thousand deaths
In UK alone last year due to prescription drugs.

Hold onto what you’ve got, good luck, and read the book 'Misinformed,
Misinformed Consent': Women's Stories About Unnecessary Hysterectomy
by Lise Cloutier-Steele, Mary Anne Wyatt, and MD, Stanley T. West (Paperback - Feb 1, 2003)

Dr Patricia White
My dear,

As cancer of the testis exists!

Dr Patricia White
i dont have ovaries or a uterus and I am doing just fine.If it aint working or causing you pain then get it OUT!!i get really tired of the people who probably havent been through the pain and agony of some of us do because of our wombs and ovaries telling us not to get them out.
I am well I dont take hrt I am 200% woman. My uterus doesnt decide how much of a woman I am.i decide tha tand Sex is incredibly great since I got the nursery out.I just thought that the other side should be heard.
Love Venora
I am 49 today, and have had my abdomin (abdomen) cut open twice.  1st time at age 23 to remove an ovarian cyst which caused removal of part of that ovary, left a small piece but small ovary still working.  2nd time at age 38 to remove right fallopian tube that was enflamed because of scar tissue from 1st surgery closed the tube and it filled up with fluid.  The left tube was badly damaged, but Dr. left it in because he was afraid to leave me steril.  I believe he really did me a disservice for leaving that left tube in because now the same thing has happend to my left tube, badly enflamed (6.9cm).  I am starting to skip periods and have had bad hormonial symptoms-PMS, etc. since I'm 36.  I still feel crummy with my natural hormones and I have low thyroid (5.22).  Maybe I would feel better if everything is out and I take hrt.  I feel that if they have to go in to remove the tube then just take everything out including ovaries because I cannot run the risk of surgery again because scar tissue has left my bladder, colon and uterus all stuck together so it is a dangerous surgery.  Venora do you take hrt?  What about Suzanne Sommers she talks about some kind of natural hormonal replacement?  I was never able to have children, but I've been happily married for 13 years.  This is my only marriage and same for my husband.  He thinks I should get everything out, but I've had different opinions from drs. A friend of ours died at age 49 from ovarian cancer.   I recently retired from work after 30 years because of other health issues, shoulders, knee, hip.  I've already had 6 surgeries in my lifetime.  My md said if you took 10 drs., 5 would say leave ovaries and 5 would say take out.  What do you think?  I appreciate any comments you may have.
Sorry Verona, I see you said you don't take hrt.  
Sorry Venora, I spelled your name wrong.  You see this is what I'm talking about, my hormones (or lack of) are affecting my concentration, and the fatigue!  Do you still feel great with no ovaries and no hrt?  What is your secret?