Reoccuring Yeast infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Reoccuring Yeast infection

I have had a reoccuring yeast infection but then I changed my pill and they stopped.  But Now I had one again but I think it is almost gone but I got burned rather badly on my arm...could that have been the cause? And when do I know if its okay to have sex again without the pain? And finally...does anybody know any tricks to keeping yeast infections away that dont involve yogurt?
stop eating sugar.
I put a whole list of them down somewhere about a week or two ago under a similar question.

But--I'll repeat them:

Be SURE it is a yeast infection.  Many women call any sort of discharge a yeast infection.  See your doctor if you aren't 1000% positive.  The wrong treatment won't help, and some white discharge (non itchy) can be normal for many women.

Wear loose cotton panties and loose clothes.  Don't use pantiliners--change undies often instead.  Don't douche frequently--although sometimes a commercially prepared gentle vinegar and water douche can restore the natural pH of the vagina if used infrequently.   Don't use sprays or powders down below, just keep the area clean and dry.  
If you notice symptoms after receiving oral sex, be sure to start rinsing your outer parts off with a gentle vinegar and water wash right afterwards.  The human mouth is teeming with yeast organisms and this is a very common reason for frequent yeast imbalances.

Sometimes you will get a yeast infection if you are on antibiotics.  Treat it if you are SURE you have one.

There are lactobacillus capsules in some health food stores that might help restore your normal flora.

Hope these suggestions help.

If you keep getting yeast infections, you probably have a systemic yeast infection. Garden of Life Fungal Defense is the best yeast detox on the market in my opinion. One bottle is a 2 week detox. Just follow the directions and drinks LOTS of water.
I know this is labeled as a lay persons' forum; so forgive a protessional intrusion.

I hate to disappoint anyone, but there is no such thing as "systemic yeast infection".

Sugar intake does not make vaginal yeast infections more likely nor does it make them worse or harder to treat.

Lactobacillus from health food stores never helped anybody; the lactobacillus species in them are not the kind that normally inhabit the vagina (although research is underway to prepare the proper kind of lactobacillus as an intravaginal preparation to see if it helps).  Further, some health food "lactobacillus" preparations have been found to be contaminated with potentially dangerous bacteria.

The oral sex comment is interesting.  There is no research linking cunnilingus with vaginal yeast infections, but enough stories from patients to make this an interesting idea that deserves research.  It is true that many people's mouths are colonized by Candida and other yeasts.  (On the other hand, it is clear that the large majority of yeast infections aren't due to new acquisiton of yeast--but rather the body's reaction to yeast that normally reside in the vagina, as they do in all women some of the time and some women all the time.)

The advice to be sure the problem is yeast is very important; and wearing loose-fitting underwear may (or may not) be helpful.

Cheers--  HHH, MD (from the STD Forum)
AS TO YOUR COMMENT THAT THERE IS KNOW ORAL MEDICINE TO TAKE,TO STOP YEAST INFECTION.I HAVE TO DISAGREE.I WAS TOLD TO TAKE ACIOHPLUS PILLS TO PREVENT A YEAST INFECTION WHEN I WAS TAKING AUGMENTIN.BECAUSE AUGMENTIN CAUSES YEAST INFECTION, IT WAS RECOMMENDED BY MY PHARMACIST.ANY THING ELSE YOU DIDN'T KNOW?
Re-read my post; I said nothinga bout oral medications to prevent yeast infections.  There is at least one that is effective for that purpose--not acidophilus, but fluconazole (Diflucan).  Very effective.

HH, MD
MY PHARMACIST DID NOT RECOMMEND DIFLUCAN.BUT ACIDOPHILUS,IT WORKED NO YEAST INFECTION OCCURED.I AM VERY PRONED TO YEAST INFECTIONS.HE ALL SO RECOMMENDED EATING YOGURT,TO HELP LINE THE INTESTINES.I GO TO WAL-GREENS FOR MY PRESCRIPTIONS.THEY TAKE THE TIME TO ADVISE ME ON THE EFFECTS ON THE MEDICINES.NOT ONLY THAT THEY NO MORE ABOUT IT BECAUSE THAT IS THERE MAIN FIELD OF STUDY.JUST LIKE YOURS IS IN DOCTORING FIELD,THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.I AM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND YOU IN ANY WAY.I JUST KNOW THAT A PHARMACIST HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE OVER MEICINES.LIKE YOU DO ON TREATING "YOUR PATIENTS".TNT406
Sugar may not "cause" the yeast infections but yeast definitely thrives on sugar.  Thus giving the right environment for the overgrowth of yeast.  Its called Candida Albicans.
with all due respect dr. while you were "righting everyones wrongs" you forgot to answer the poor girls questions. (mer23a)
Ain't it the truth.  That's a doctor for you.
Careful with assumptions. Take a look at my responses to questions on the STD forum and see if you still think the snide remark was justified.   An apology is due--and cheerfully accepted when offered.

HHH, MD
I don't need to go to another forum to find out how you answered questions over there.  You didn't answer them here so I won't bother.  I believe we need answers over here on this forum not criticisms and a holier than thou attitude.
hi dr. i waltzed on over to the STD forum like you suggested but i really dont know what i was looking for? i saw your comments but are we to "assume" that the origional woman who posted has an STD? i feel that all the people who posted under this question gave sensible, helpful responses. you, being a genuine dr.,would expect more answers as opposed to comments.
one last thing... the STD forum scares me and im staying here.
Exactly.  Personally I think the Doc (supposed) should stick to what he knows best : STD'S.  Leave this forum to the big boys.
you crack me up! seriously though, that STD forum is a whole nother world! i guess ive been cooped up at home too long w. my little one to even know whats going on out there. massage parlors where they masturbate in front of each other and have oral sex (then post how terrified they are of catching something),escorts, prostitutes, cheating while married with babies on the way and terrified they may have aids.. its VERY scarry! i go every now and then to get a massage but its nothing like the places i was reading about. where do these people live? i understand there are many people who are indeed very careful out there and end up getting an std and people do make mistakes. in addition,it is great (if this stuff is going on out there) to be able to go to the forum to turn to. i just wish that the dr. was able to provide some answers because the origional poster is not the only one with this problem.
Im scared to go over there too.  Sounds like a freak show.  I have enough problems over at the ovarian forum where im at most of the time.  I came over here to check this one out and be helpful if i can.  This is a good one too.  Notice the poor original poster hasn't been back?  Too bad the doc (since he HAD to come over here) couldn't be more helpful to her.  Instead he chose to take "corrective" action with the rest of us who tried to offer help to her.  What an ego.
yes, i did notice the origional poster did not come back and where did christie go? she frequents this forum. hope she didnt get offended and pack up. we need her here. i dont know enough about the ovaries to be any help so i better not go there. ta ta.
hey...where did ya go? how are you doing? i would think that the changes in the pill may cause hormonal upset? also, burning your arm really wouldnt have anything to do w. it. is that what you meant? as for sex, id wait until it clears up. it usually burns and will most likely get irritated if you have intercourse. if you are 100% it is a yeast infection then what about monistat? go w. the 7 day treatment because i have found myself (and heard) from other woman that the one day, even the 3 day treatment doesnt work and the yeast infection comes back. some woman also get yest infections right before their period as well. lucky us.
We read some of your comments to Dr. Handsfield and are disappointed by them.  Dr. Handsfield is one of the world's foremost authorities on sexually transmitted diseases. He is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases and is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine.  

Quite frankly all he was trying to do was correct some of the bad information being given out by some visitors and he recommended that this woman first see her doctor to make sure that she has a yeast infection.

Again, we are very disappointed by some of the comments posted in this forum.  Everyone is welcome in Med Help's forums - even highly qualified and respected physicians such as Dr. Handsfield.  Next time try extending your hands in friendship rather than caustic comments!

Cindy Thompson
Med Help International

CINDY I DO NOT FEEL I OFFENDED THE DOCTOR IN ANY WAY.I SIMPLY POSTED A COMMENT TO HIM.HE POSTED BACK,I WROTE ANOTHER POST I WAS NOT BEING RUDE TO TO HIM IN ANY WAY.I TOLD HIM THAT APHARMACIST NEW MORE ABOUT MEDICINES WHICH THEY DO.A DOCTOR KNOWS ABOUT HOW TO TREAT PATIENTS LIKE HE DOES.IF YOU FEEL I HAVE OFFENDED HIM IN ANY WAY TELL ME IN WHAT WAY I DID. THANK YOU TNT406
shes referring to my posts.  I received a personal email from them.  Apparantly i was snippy.  I apologize if i was. Just a little too much sarcastic humor.  I'll try to tone it down. Im from New York.  :)
HI I RECIEVED ONE ALL SO,YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE.I GUESS WE DID OVER STEP OUR BOUNDARIES.IF WE WANT THIS FORUM KEPT OPEN WE HAD WATCH OUR STEP.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.TNT406
yeah  just agree with all the docs and people that run this thing and we'll be coolio.   :)
then theres me too...i also recieved an email but i was trying to be respectful at the same time voice my opinion. however, the medhelp email said he was just trying to correct "bad advice" i again, have to respectfully disagree. sorry to all who were offended!
Good grief!  No one said that you have to agree with the doctors and Med Help administrators.  

What we are saying is please show respect for all comments and don't accuse people of things they haven't done. Someone accused Dr. Handsfield of saying there is no oral medication for yeast infections....he never said that, yet a number of people continued on with insulting remarks.  Then several of you began criticizing our STD Forum calling it a "freak show".  

Consider this a little constructive criticism and we hope you can accept it and move on.  Please do not post any further comments about this issue in the forum.

Cindy Thompson
Med Help International

Amen.
I used to have the same problem.  What I do to keep my body in balance and freshen up is take vinegar baths.  You may want to do it once a week in the beginning and then as needed.  Add about 1 to 2 cups of white vinegar to shallow bath water, you just need enough water to cover your "important" parts.  Sit in the bath for about 5 mins.  It's much more healthy than douching and the vinegar balances out your ph levels.  If you feel like you have a yeast infection coming on, you start feeling irritation or noticing more discharge, take a vinegar bath right away.  Also, be sure to avoid heavy soaps when you shower.  Use Dove to wash your private area.
Did anyone know that it is common for people with diabetes to have reaccurring yeast infections. Did anyone know that people with HIV have reaccurring yeast infections. Did anyone know eating lots of pickles & pretzels can make a yeast infection worse,because they are high in yeast content themselves and breed bacteria found in reaccuring  yeast infections. Did anyone know that taking antibiotics for any kind of infection will sometimes give u a yeast infection. Did anyone know that yogurt with live active yeast cultures will help ease a yeast infection by directly putting plain yogurt on the genital area, where it will replace the natural bacteria that should be in the vagina but was killed off by antibiotics or bacteria killing antibodies found in the body.  Did anyone know there are lots of reasons why a female will get yeast infections. My brother is an OB-GYN.
WOW! Lots of info to take in. I too have had re-occuring yeast infections. I stopped taking the pill and they stopped. After I gave birth to my daughter (c-section), they have started up again. I have been searching for a way to  prevent them and found nothing seems to work! My doctor told me to stop using soaps down there. He said that water and a gentle rub is a sufficiant cleaning. I was grossed out at this at first because...well, obviously things happen down there that you think would require soap but nope...he said to stop using it and I did. Although I still get yeast infections on occasion, they aren't every month like they were and they aren't nearly as bad. I've heard about the vinager thing...has anyone ever really tried it? My aunt said she used to get them all the time and that's what she would do. I haven't tried it cause it just sounds wrong...lol...but if someone else has actually tried it, I will too :)
I too have been plagued with this problem since January!!!  I have been to the doc's dozens of times, it got to the point that the area between my vagina and anus and the crack between my rear end cheeks was so irritated and raw that I had open sores and skin cracks.  (this was after being to my doc 3 times that it progressed this far).  I saw different doc's in the practice and it wasn't until I called one day crying because it hurt so bad that I saw a PA who made a difference.  While my doc was busy scary the **** out of me and testing me for Herpes (which came back negative)and jock itch,  the PA did a basic pH paper test and yeast test, telling me that both were off.  She explained that this is probably what was causing the reoccurant yeast infection and my discomfort.  She suggest diet changes to help even out my pH and then told me that every person was different and it could take a while to get my body back in check.  She gave me Gynozol (2 doses, one the first day and one the 5th) which did help.  But it didn't completely clear it up and it seems like I've been on a roller coaster ever since, with never getting to 100% before I get another "bad" case and call them up for another script of Gynozol.  Soooooooo....not that it is starting to get bad again I decided to do some research of my own.  

Ok....I read this, did a little more research online last night and then tried somethings....

First, I scrubbed the tub with bleach cleaners (just to make sure I wasn't introducing anything that might complicate things)...then I drew a bath with nice warm/hot water and 3 cups white vinegar.  Most of the research calls for apple cider vinegar which I'll be picking up at the store today, but some called for white and I figured after trying everything over-the-counter that exists it wouldn't hurt.  I sat in the bath for 30 minutes and have to say, it helped.  I was given relief while in the bath and after.  

Once done I used a vinegar & water ****** (just be sure if you are trying this that it is just vinegar and water, maybe boric acid....Summer's Eve seemed to be a good brand and only cost a couple bucks at WalMart for 4 of them.  I have read differing suggestions on how often to ******...they mainly seem to range from max of every 4 days to max of once a week.  I'm hoping that once does the trick, lol.  

After the ****** I tried the RepHresh Vaginal Gel....got that at WalMart too.  It claims to be clinically proven to maintain a healthy vaginal pH.  Since the last time I was in to the doc's complaining about this issue the PA I saw told me my pH was on the high side.  I figured this couldn't hurt.  

I dried off good and just put on a t-shirt for the rest of the evening/night.  This morning, so far so good....still dry (no ucky discharge and no discomfort other than the skin that was already irritated).  I'm resisting the urge to put a hypoallergenic lotion on the irritated skin, just cause I want to see if keeping the area dry will do the trick.  

But I would recommend a nice vinegar bath for anyone....it is supposed to help kill the bad little spores and balance pH and did seem to help with my comfort at least.  I am going to get the apple cider vinegar to do the next bath.  
Hi, I have been having yeast infections since june 06. So a long time. too long to be comfertable. At first it got a little intense. I tried to do the apple vinager thing and it kindof worked. It definately made the symptoms less. Since I am researching this all the time, I found that having sex when your boyfriend is ejackulating inside you without a condom can lower your ph a lot. Now, this is not for all women but some men and some women can be not that compatable ph wise. There is something in mens cumb. I forget the name, but i guess its like some men  are more potent than others. So I tried using condoms and that helped a lot. With reoccuring infections like this (once a month) you can stop by your Whole Foods Grocery store. Or any health store. I do that now. I go and get probiotics for ph help (50 billion) and then I do a yeast cleanse. 10 day cleans. Garlic is also a anti fungal and I get Garlicin there. $10. It has a high alicin count which goes into your intestant and keeps yeast from overgrowing. I take 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Aalso, a good way of keeping this away is to get a tincture of yeastaway and drop a couple drops on a tampon and insert it in you.  Since perscriptions dont help so many woman I do Yeast arrest, which is a suppository with natural  ingredients and 600 mg of boric acid which clears up 90% of women with reoccuring yeast infections. All that I mentioned, you can get at whole foods store. Alll ranging in 10-20 dollars per treatment. This works best. I tried treating myself with medicine that the dr. gave me for a year and nothing helped. It was like I had the same yeast infection for a year. That stuff is not good for you and can even make your body immune to it so it depends on western medicine instead of your bodies natural defenses. With reoccuring yeast infections you will most likely have to treat yourself for at least 6 months. But do it. and be faithful to it. your body needs this. With these infections it can throw off your entire system, so I would do a body clense too. This is happening to so many women and I dont understand why there is not more research and cures for women who keep getting this. Im only 23 and I feel like I dont understand why this is happening. I am a healthy young woman. I will post more later.
Hope this helps someone.
Good luck girls.
This forum has been very helpful for me, because I am going through this reoccuring yeast infection befere my menses. I did have a PA tell me to dip a tampon into peroxide for three night and leave in for no more than 3 minutes and it shall restore the PH balance.
I have always been very prone to infections.  I can pretty much predict when i'm going to get one though.  

-antibiotics
-using any new body soaps, even sensitive skin ones as one dr. recommended.
-after being in a bathingsuit for a while
-after lots of sex
-anything perfumey such as pads or tampons
-wearing tight clothes/jeans when its hot thereby getting damp in the vaginal area
-wearing silk pjamas, probably same if i wore silk underwear as its non-breathable

I try to eat yogurt regularly and take accidulpus if I'm going to be in a situation that could cause an infection such as a summer vacation or taking antiobotics, but everyone once in a while i slip and for example use a new soap say in the shower at the gym and presto.  I feel that my body is becoming resistant to the oral antibiotic too that used to work like gold to me as i seem to be allergic to the drugstore remedies such as monostat or cannesten.  Regarding soap though, if i use nothing but water i'm find and i seem to have done well using my daughters ph balanced baby soap, as much as we don't truely need soap i feel a little cleaner when i can us it :)

I notice some comments up above about oral sex as well and i have to admit ive had my suspicions on that one too.  To the point that my husband removed his tounge ring be cause i felt that maybe bacteria was building up in the hole since the mouth is such a dirty place, and it seemed to make a difference as well.   I agree with the MD that maybe some research needs to be done in this area.   And i have read enough over the years and have had one dr. and one pharmacist mention the yogurt directly on the affected area, and I may start to give this enough credit to try it next time as well.  

***** to be a woman some times !!!!!
when i have an all out itchy irritated yeast infections, i apply plain yogurt directly to the affected area for about 3 days. the symptoms disappear completely. OR when i feel that i'm getting an infection or my discharge becomes thick, i apply plain yogurt overnight to ward off a full on infection. good luck girls. the healthy alternatives work best for me. i tried diflucan and wound up getting bacterial vaginosis.... will never do that again.
I get yeast infections constantly and they seem to be coming more frequently. I've talked to my dr. about this and all they do is test for diabetes and hiv. Negative on both. Then perscribe a perscription such as diflucan which helps but they always come back and I feel I'm constantly going in to be treated. It's annoying. Reading this forum gives me hope however and makes me feel better that I am not alone. I'm going to try Krissy444's remedies... I hope they work. Thanks for all the info everyone!
wow what a bunch of children. A doctor comes on here free of charge and gives his educated, experienced thought and you guys spit in his face practically. What happened to "Thank You"?

I for one am grateful to this doctor that offered up this info and I am embarrassed that anyone would treat a doctor that is just trying to help with such disrespect. Just because you are on the internet does not give you the right to act like a bunch of disrespectful, rude children.  
just because the online handle sais HHH, MD doesent mean there really a doctor. this is the internet welcome to the world wide web of bull ****. But said Doctor does know there stuff.
I NEED HELP. i've had this yeast infection for weeks.. i've tried everything. I will never use monistat.. theres not much discharge at all.. just an odor.. and my fiance wont have sex with me. i'm so frustrated. I'm eating yogurt.. i'm keeping extra clean. i change my underwear constantly.. i dont know what to do. i've been to a doctor and all she did was give me a prescription and told me to eat yogurt.. then my OUTRAGEOUS hospital bill because i dont have insurance at this point. somebody pleaseee pleassse help. i'm so stressed out.
Thank everyone for the info. I do not think anyone should be disrespectful to the doctor; I do however believe the issue was that someone questioned his information. (hey, I'm a nurse, it's my job to question) I understand the frustration, though, dealing w/ reoccuring yeast infections. My doctor is insisting that I must have an immune issue or an std ( I have neither).  Oh, and by her confirmation and the new OTC test kit, they are strictly yeast infections. She keeps blaming mine on stress, and if that's the case, being a nurse, I'm going to have a VERY LONG MISERABLE LIFE!!!  I keep my hopes high to change her mind and to try that vinegar bath. At this point I would try almost anything to stop the itching and burning!!  P.S. According to my personal experience and education, the Dr. is right. The problem is individuals respond to treatment as individuals: differently. That includes homeopathic and drugs.
I feel like I'm wasting my time but...
Did the doctor say you had a yeast infection?
What prescription did the doctor give you and are you using it?
Why don't you want to use monistat?
You can go to planned parenthood/community health center for and exam and not pay as much-ER is always going to be more expensive because its meant for emergencies. Talk to the billing department at the hospital and see if you can get on a payment plan or financial assistance.
I started drinking home made lemonade with out sugar and it helped me a lot. Also it helps for
digestion too. It is very important what you eat, to get rid of yeast infection, after every time your
meal, just drink a cup of home made lemonade no sugar.
Just saw this forum and read the thread.   Mainstream medicine will tell you that there is no such thing as a systemic yeast infection, but integrative medicine believes there is.  Even my own mainstream doc knew that the reason you get vaginal yeast infections is that it is coming down from the intestinal tract where candida overgrowth occurs, and gets into the genital area in general (via rectum).  There are antibody tests for yeast infections in the bloodstream, altho mainstream medicine will tell you this is false.   Please, those with recurring infections, do the no-sugar diet, careful with carbs and gluten, try to get on Nystatin or Diflucan, and, if you can, see an integrative doc.   Not saying all recurring infections need the "big guns" of treatment, but these infections are not taken seriously enough by mainstream medicine in my opinion.  Treat the symptoms in the gut, not just the vag area.  From much experience and successful treatment by an integrative doc.  Best wishes to all.  
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's issues with those damn yeast infections. I haven't had one in years... and I think it was the soap products I was using. Its not documented very often (if at all really..) but I'm pretty darn sure I'm allergic to glycerine. I was so baffled as to WHY it seemed like I was doing everything right (condom use, one partner, very good hygene, frequent doctor visits..) I wasn't on antibiotics or birth control. I started narrow down all the possibilities and saw glycerine is in A LOT of stuff. It was in my bath gel, bar of soap, condoms, spermacide, ky jelly AND my deoderant. In many cases, it was the one of the main ingredients. It took a while to figure out what was plauging me. Doctors were no help. They would usually say it was my diet or that I wasn't following through with the instructions to keep taking meds even after it cleared up. I knew that wasn't the case. Even after I figured out my allergy and the yeast infections miraculously stopped happening, I was told by my doctor that it was unlikely I was allergic to glycerine. Whatever. I always avoid glycerine in any product that is going on my most sensitive areas (i used to get horrible rashes in my armpit- talk about embarassing!) and I can't really remember the last time I've had a yeast infection. So, girls if you have tried EVERYTHING else and you keep getting irritated, try products w/out glycerine. Bath and Bodyworks is my savior for bath gel/soap stuff, avoid condoms with glycerine as a lubricant, try out the lubricant doctors and tattoo artists use (i know i know not as fun as all the flavored, sparkly warming sensation lubricants but its worth using- TRUST ME). I wish I could remember the name of the stuff but I'm sure you could ask your doctor or google it. I'm hyper sensitive to alot of things (nut allergies, nickel allergies- really bad like if it touches me for a short period of time I break out in giant rashes) so if you are too- Maybe you have the same problem I did. HEY- if you are all willing to bathe in vinegar for relief, this is worth a shot- esp for the girls that find relief when they don't use soap.....
-----To anyone with similar problems to the chick that posted in July about her yeast infection that lasted for weeks w/ very little discharge and a funky odor... Yeah, sounds to me like you've got bacterial vaginosis. Yeast infections (in my experience) itch like crazy, cause a nasty clumpy white discharge to hang out in your underwear, and generally don't have much of an odor. If you smell at all, it would smell kinda like bread/brewer's yeast.-- Bacterial vaginosis is a nasty little bugger. It smells kinda fishy, or like you haven't showered in days. There is generally not much discharge, except when your having sex. Suddenly, its like a flood gate has opened, and that's even without an orgasm... so yeah, big difference between a yeast infection and vaginosis. If your poor and you can't see a doctor,maybe this will help: use anti-bacterial soap in the shower, if you use a loofah- chuck it and don't use a new loofah until you are infection free, put a little witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide on the toilet paper when you wipe (my mom swears by the witch hazel), keep using the yogurt- (make sure its plain!) topically but EAT some yogurt too! DO NOT DOUCHE- i can't believe women still do this... our vags clean themselves out naturally! You shouldn't need to do that to feel "clean" and "fresh"- or whatever reason women use this junk...and ALWAYS clean yourself after sex, especially if its unprotected.. I don't know WHY women would want to lay around all wet and sticky- and NO, wiping off residue with a towel doesn't count.
---Hopefully this helps people- or at least was mildly entertaining...- Good Luck all of you with the fun ailments that come from owning a vagina.----
Sweetvelocity- my sentiments exactly!

Thank you doctor for your advice...if you ever get back on here to read this; I know I probably wouldn't. I do have a couple of questions:
1. The peroxide tampon thing; is it safe and/or effective?
2. If diflucan stops working, is there another antifungal that you would recommend that may be a bit more potent?
3. What do we, as women with this constant problem, do to help regulate the balance in our vagina's with regard to eubacteria, yeast, and pH?

I am a medical professional as well, but I don't work in women's health or a family practice type setting, so this is unfamiliar ground for me. I have constant diagnosed yeast infections. I thought it was because I am an auto immune nightmare already. I have Crohn's disease and hyperthyroidism, and I am on weekly injections of a TNF blocker. This seems to be more of a common female problem that a problem related to my other issues. I have seen my family doc as well as gyn's to no avail. Any help on prevention would be appreciated.
A few months ago i got a yeast infection and after treating it with the pink little pill (diflucan) they give you at the doctors and with gynelotrimin, it kept coming back. It wold go away for a couple a weeks but it would just keep coming back, i had a re-occuring yeast infection for about 4 months or so. That all stopped after i went to my local Trader Joe's and purchased their acidophilus tabs with LiveBac. (white bottle with orange tag). They are less than $10 and they work wonders. You can take up to 3 a day which is what i did, after taking it for about a week straight, my yeast infection disappeared and it hasn't come back since. I haven't had one in about 4 months and i truly believe that the acidophilus is what made it go away.

The reason i chose to purchase those is because i always read that eating plane yogurt helps get rid of yeast infections but you have to buy the yogurt that has LiveBac.. Plane yogurt also has acidophilus. I really didn't have the time to be eating yogurt all day so that's why i decided to give these tabs a try. I highly recommend you all do the same! Let me know if it helps!

Good Luck!
Very effective is canesten vaginal supposotory 200 mg for 7 days. or neo=penotran vaginal table 7 days also.

Use for 14 days and take
Then diflucan one a week only  for 1 month .

Take a lots of rest. Keep dry. drink a lots  of water.
keep cleanse.  Keep in touch  to your the obyn after 2 weeks follow up..
eat yogurt no sugar. keep away from sugar.

General check up.

Here in the Philippines we have a variety and very effective yeast cure without spending a a lot of money.
OK - I am a 48 year old woman who has had lots of experience with yeast infections and Monistat. When you first start using it, your symptoms will temproarily increase...this is normal. It tells you this on the box, that your symptoms may (well, they WILL) increase at first. I do not recommend Monistat 1.  It is too harsh and won't knock out a bad infection. Monistat 3 is my choice, and I will use two packages back to back if the infection is bad.  Generic versions are also fine.  ALWAYS the first 2 days at least the itching and burning will be more intense shortly after you insert the internal cream or suppositories. That's the way it is, you have to grin and bear it. Ibuprofin can help take the edge off the discomfort.  And YES, you may see a little blood those first two days.  Shouldn't be a lot, but a little is normal for the raw irritated membranes to bleed or ooze pink or red in your discharge. Take a couple ibuprofins, put in the monistat, and try to go right to sleep.  If you wake up itching/burning intensly, then get up and wipe off the excess that has oozed out. Gently wash with a soothing vaginal towlette or a wet wash rag if you absolutely can't stand the itching/burning, and then go back to bed. DO NOT SOAK IN THE TUB at this time, save soaking for BEFORE you use the medicine at night.  At least some of the monistat needs to stay inside of you for a few hours to do its work.  ALL yeast infections take 6-7 days for you to heal, no matter what you use to cure it. Think about it, a cut or raw skin takes that long to heal. So this is the same thing.  Keep using the external cream for 7 days. Monistst 7 is good for this because it forces you to wait 7 days. However, Monistat 3 is twice as strong so I think it gives faster relief after the first three days.  If after 6-7 days you still have discomfort, get another Monistat 3 pack and after that it will be gone for sure.  ALSO drink milk if you can, and eat a yogurt every day. Doesn't matter what kind...it all has live cultures, and any kind will help you from the inside.  Some Cranberry juice daily wouldn't be a bad idea either in case you have any little bladder infection accompanying the yest infection. Lots of water, and cut back on sugary things. That's really all you need to do.  

MEN...wash good every day and then use the monistat cream that came with your woman's monistat, rub it good into any foreskin or crevices of your own parts...for 3-4 (or 7 to be sure) days at least. This will insure that you don't reinfect her.  This is good insurance for you ladies.  The yeast usually doesn't thrive well on the men, but it can stay around long enough on him to keep you miserable. Men, if when you put on the cream, it burns some...well, then that means you NEED it!  It means your skin is irritated too. So there's your clue. Don't blame the monistat for not working if your man has not used it, and you keep getting it back every couple weeks.  Men can use the stronger cream inside the applicator or the weaker external cream on their parts.  

Women, if you get infections often, then start wearing cotton underwear!!!!  Get rid of the fancy nylon stuff, or save if for fun only, for when you will be removing it soon. DO NOT wear it every day, all day long, or when you are exercising, or you are just asking for trouble.  

Okay, that's allI have to say about that.  Use common sense, read information on the monistat boxes, don't freak out, expect it to burn and itch, and take steps to prevent it from reoccurring by eating right, treating your man and wearing sensible underwear.  And by all means, if after trying two boxes of Monistat, your infection is still not healed PLEASE see your doctor, as there are other STDs out there that mimic a yeast infection (like chlamydia) but will not be cured with monistat. They need to be diagnosed and treated by your doctor.
You should try coconut oil candida. I heard that there's a special coconut oil made for candida but Iam not sure where to get it. Hope this help a bit
Hey mer,

My sister-in-law is a pharmacist and she explained to me that being on the pill can actually contribute to the development of yeast infection. Not entirely sure why. I have been on the pill for a while due to a hormonal imbalance and used to have recurring yeast infections too.  I don't anymore though but there are so many things that changed in my life that could be the cause of the end to that.  If I had to guess I think it's because I no longer have sex without condoms.  I was on the pill and I never bothered with condoms as my partner at the time and I were both monogamous (that and they broke all the time -_-'). Apparently though, the pH of the vagina, which is naturally acidic, becomes out of balance when the alkaline semen enters that environment.  That messed up pH could be the cause of constant yeast infections especially if you have sex very regularly.  Is this the case with you? Since you are on the pill do you and your partner use condoms?  If not, it might be the cause.

Outside of that, I worked in a cafe and used to consume ridiculous amounts of coffee and bread.  Since I left that job I cut down on my coffee and I very rarely eat bread.  I read that both bread and coffee can increase yeast.  So you could cut down on those too if you consume lots of both.  

I know you don't want to hear about yogurt but its really good. I'm lactose intolerant so I try to get the 1% milk unsweetened type.  Oh, and I've been reading on other boards that tea tree oil just rubbed on the entrance of the vagina is good. I wouldn't try that though because I find tea tree oil kinda tingles and gets warm.  Also I've read about a trick with garlic.  Either eat lots of raw garlic or insert a clove into the vagina (sew thread through the clove several times and let a good length of thread hang so that when inserted into the vagina you can pull it back out like a tampon, or put a clove of garlic in gauze with enough gauze to hang out of the vagina so you can pull it back out) and leave for about 8-12 hours. I haven't tried the garlic trick but I've read that it works.

Good luck!
Yikes! I just realised your post is like 6 years old! I'm sure your yeast infections have been  sorted out by now. Lol!
PART 1   Since I don't see that anyone else has mentioned it on here, I will.
If you are sexually active with recurring infection, check your man. He can also get infections. If he has burning @ urination, itching, etc, he needs to see a medical professional. If you have it, then he may as well, and you don't want to keep passing it back and forth.

Next, be clean with sex. Your doctor/nurse/community health clinic has probably already advised you: ladies, go pee before and AFTER sex, being careful to always wipe from front to back (you want to drag anything from your bottom away from your body, not toward your precious parts). Make sure your (gentle)man understands how important it is to keep himself clean for you, too. You know, if he wants sex, he can respect his girl and learn to wash up first. If he is uncircumsized (and he should keep it clean regardless), he needs to know how to properly clean himself under that skinfold.
Some persons who do not already practice these habits may have to make an adjustment, I know, but do your best! :)   (Note that this does not preclude spontaneous love-making, but a little planning can help... If you know that you're going to be spending one-on-one time together, be prepared...)

If you read the advisories on the treatment products you may/may not use, you will probably see that it tells you to wait until cleared up to resume sexual intercourse. It may be a bummer, but then so is burning during the act and non-stop itching.

Also, the point of acidophilus pills and yogurt are to try to return your intestinal flora to its natural state: blooming with *healthy* microbe life that helps process the foods you eat, resist infections, and create wonderful nutrients like vitamin B. Our bodies naturally do this, or did--but our modern diet has gotten so far from what it should be. We are unbalanced by the overdose of overly-processed foods, excess salts, sugars and carbohydrates that are not so complex as they should be; the end result that our wonderful flora can't thrive, and so weird stuff happens--imbalances--such as predisposition toward yeast infections. But the problem with trying to fix it by popping a pill (whose quality may be questionable, but, hey if it seems to be working for you, go for it!) and downing yogurt comes that it's often too little. That yogurt you are eating may not even contain live, active cultures that will survive to add anything helpful to your gut, and may in fact have high sugar content. That pill may not, either, for that matter. So what can you do?
1. Make sure you are consuming yogurt that has live, active cultures. If it does, it will probably advertise it. How good is the pill? See if you can find actualy research on it, and not just by the company who stands to make $$$ on it.
2. Eat more of other kinds of probiotic- and prebiotic-rich foods. Nobody seems to have mentioned on here that produce also has awesome probiotic qualities that nourish your enteric flora. But it does. A salad can go a long way toward the restoration of intestinal balance. (Just wash it first, of course, because the E. coli you may ingest otherwise isn't going to do a thing to help you ;) THAT's not the kind of flora you want, lol)

Next, all those comments about not using soap there and leaving off anything that's not attached--they are so right! You can mess with your body's pH and natural flora with the soaps and lotions and perfumy things if you want, but you really don't want all the irritants in those products anywhere near your delicate regions. The chemicals in the product irritate your delicate skin, compromising your natural barrier, and opening you up to possible infection; then some microbe comes along, maybe even your normally nice ones that live with you, and go nuts (those opportunistic buggers!)... Next thing you know, you've got a problem.

If you think you've got an issue, you definitely want a medical professional to do a culture & sensitivity, microscopic eval, whatever, to ascertain just what is afflicting you. If you think it is just mild irritation, you can make changes, such as to a detergent w/ fewer, gentler chemicals to launder your panties; laying off the products applied to that region; switching out your pads more regularly, etc.
So if you've got discharge, that's nice, me too. If you itch, and maybe if you burn, you've got an issue. Typically if there is a strongly unpleasant odor, you have a bacterial infection; just lots of itch and copious discharge, probably a yeast. If you lack other symptoms than burning at intercourse, you may not have an infection at all. Could be as simple as your body needs to adapt to a new partners size, or maybe he is accidentally irritating your urinary meatus when attempting to come in (have him aim down a bit more). But whatever the case, I recommend avoiding self diagnosis. Let someone who spends days and days of their lives checking out this sort of stuff evaluate your issue.
If your doctor determines you have a bacterial or yeast infection, please complete the course of any antibiotic or antifungal you begin taking--DO NOT STOP TAKING THE MEDICATION IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DOSE! Follow through with it to avoid more serious issues. (It goes like this: when you begin taking the drug, at first it's only affecting the weak germs as the drug builds up in your bloodstream to an effective level, then by the end of the treatment it's knocking out the stronger bugs. If you stop before it is finished, you've successfully wiped out all the weak ones and left the strong, more resistant ones to multiply. Don't do it! While it may seem like there are loads of anti-baddie agents out there to choose from, there's really not. And if you've just created a resistant army of nasties inside yourself... Anyway, just don't. Unless it would be worse for you to continue the drug, ie you're allergic, finish the course you begin. Okay, I'm getting down off of the soapbox now. Pardon me. Didn't mean to preach so much, lol)
PART 2   And yes, the usual: keep dry, keep clean: wear cotton undergarments (or you could, you know, air out a bit) and non-restricting clothes (rip off those hose as soon as you don't need them on any more, or switch to the sexier thigh-high). Change out your femme products often enough. Don't sit around in moisture--change out of sweaty undergarments and wet swimsuits asap; a nice, warm bath may be contributing to your problem. Go take care of business as soon an you can when you feel the urge to pee, and always wipe front-to-back. Again, go teetee before and after sex. (Urine, unless you have a UTI, is sterile in the body and has some mild enzymic powers that discourage microbes. It will flush out your urinary tract and kind of rinse the exterior of your other parts, which you then wipe off; plus it gives your body a chance to purge out of the vagina some of what has accumulated there. Don't let urine sit around, though. Sure it cleans you out a bit, but once out of the body, the sterility is not maintained as it becomes a breeding ground for other things over time. Women who have little leaks--you know when you sneezed you felt something else happen--or have to hold it too long, thus making them more likely to leak a little, need to change out the affected liner, panty, whatever.)

About the yogurt and garlic applied in non-food ways, um. I don't know about that... The yogurt of choice may not even have any live, active cultures (and those are best for your guts, anyway), but I bet it has sugar. Do you think it is sound to feed a yeast sugar? Or even a bacterium for that matter (sugars in the milk((lactose))/yogurt helps feed the bacteria there, thus making the yogurt, as I understand it). And garlic inserted in the vagina? Garlic is great food-wise, having lots of virtues in a raw, crushed state, but garlic is also irritating to flesh. Adding an irritant there opens you up to stuff, you know? Hmm. Doesn't sound good, but that is just an opinion. I haven't ever heard of it before, so I have no data, empirical or experential... All I can add is that there would never be any garlic applied inside My vaginal orifice. Good grief.

Monostat. I don't recommend because of those I heard have used it, they seem to have the same problem again. Perhaps it cannot fix the underlying issue. I would go w/ rx-strength meds instead of this over-the-counter quick-fix. Or perhaps in combo with a perscription of recommended. Doesn't seem to do the trick by itself, but maybe that is becuase so many who use it are self-diagnosing and mistake their issue for what it treats, so it cannot even help their real problem and so of course it seems ineffective. See your medical professional first to make sure you know what you are up against specifically.
Vinegar is a skin-irritant undiluted. If you want to try it, make sure you dilute it enough not to hurt yourself. Do not douche. Vinegar does have some repsectable anti-yuck properties, so I highly recommend it in cleaning surfaces, washing machines, etc. And it seems that many people find relief with sinus issues, runny noses with a dilution of it, but it is not likely to be an adequate treatment for a yeast infection. Perhaps as an addendum. Grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil also have antimicrobial properties. I know tea tree oil is highly recommended for other fungal-based afflictions, like dandruff, and can be used to treat mildew on non-people surfaces, like a wall. Be careful, though, about using stuff like this inside such a sensitive part of your body; particularly one that isn't flushed through regularly by food and drink. Just because something can work for the digestive tract, doesn't make it a good idea for the vaginal canal.
Well, now this is a book I've written--wow. And I was just going to share the probiotic info I have. Well, if you've made it this far in reading, I really hope you found it helpful. And you are well on your way to finding solutions that will work for you, because you obviously have diligence and will pursue the matter.

PS: stress definitely contributes! Anything that knocks your system out of homestasis will potentially contribute to a health issue such as this kind of infection, including diet and stress. Good luck finding a way to cure that one...
*The part about not seeing it on here before was specifically about the probiotic/prebiotic info--I was actually going to post only on that, with one little note about the man, and then I got totally carried away. Sorry, sorry. lol, laughing at myself.
Wow this is really sad that soooo many of us are suffering and not in silence.  
I have had Bacterial Vaginosis and yeast infection problems for the past 6 years and this forum is helpful.  
I have tried the pro-biotics and they kind of helped but the problem with those is the way they are transported because they only work if they are kept in a fridge.  If it isn't in a fridge than all those wonderful pro-biotics die.  My Dr. has said and many pharmicists agree that it isn't the best method.  I have tried pretty much everything but I haven't been tested for Diabetes so maybe I will try that.  I will also be trying the vinegar bath, as much as that will stink.  I have also been told to do a vinegar douche and just so you know I wouldn't do one unless a Doctor says so because they can also screw up your PH balance.  
For everyone that is suffering I cannot stress enough that you should always go to a doctor first before anything else as it could be something completely different.  Also get referred to a Gynecologist that is their specialization and they should help.  
I think if this doesn't stop soon I may have to go to med school and try and figure out wtf is going on with all of us lovely ladies.  
Good luck to you all and I wish you the best health.
I can't take these infections anymore.  I just searched and found this site.  I immediately tried the vinegar bath and have just come back to my laptop.  Feeling refreshed.  Please God let this work.  I so thank you all for all your posts.  I didn't read all of them - couldn't get to the bath to try the vinegar soak fast enough - but thanks anyway.  Can't wait to post another comment saying how wonderfully this worked - fingers (not legs, ha ha) crossed!
I had reoccurring yeast infections for years along with frequent urination especially before my period.  Sometime I would get up 7 times during a night to urinate.  I would go to the doctor and they would prescribe me Fluconazole this would get rid of my yeast infection however it would more than likely be back the following month.  I lived my life like this for years.  I was told this problem was hormonal.  Finally a doctor suggested I have a pelvic ultrasound done.  This showed a cyst, I had to have surgery to remove my left ovary and the cyst that was leaning on my bladder, the cyst was the size of a softball.  I did have major surgery and found out I have endometriosis.  Ever since the surgery last year I have not had a yeast infection.  I cannot even begin to tell you how much better I feel.  I believe the reason that no doctor suggested a pelvic ultra sound was because I did not have any pain.  I did not know to ask for a pelvic ultrasound.    Good luck I hope you find your cure.

Hi, the only thing that I found somewhat unhelpful is the suggestion that we visit our doctor to be tested for a yeast infection.  If you read these postings, it is obvious that traditional treatments have not helped.  Most people have gone to their doctors, been tested repeatedly and have taken many courses of medication.  It seems kind of obvious to say to go to your doctor and be tested...pretty simplistic for a complicated problem.
My previous comment about goint to the doctor for testins was a response to the HHH doctor's post.
This is my second time of having this yeast infection... My OB/GYN prescribed me, since I was having this and UTI: one sachet Monurol, and Neo-Penotran plain 500mg once per night for 7days. Definitely worked... the first time around... But now is my second. I don't have UTI, so I didn't buy Monurol. All I'm taking is Neo-penotran and it still itch at 10pm, today I'll take my 6th. I do suggest all women to take a pap-smear test, blood sugar test, a vaginal pH Test, pelvic exam, have a pelvic ultrasound and a blood allergy test. These tests help a lot more than just consultation. It figures out what the real problem is, what the bacteria, what is the proper medication with concern for what medication you're allergic to, etc... Doing these tests on your first consultation helps and prevents future recurring and future visits to the doctor. Because all these tests will already show what is really needed to fix the problem on your first visit.

p.s. I got my first yeast infection due to: anti-pregnancy pills, my love for sugar and bread, stress, and the number one cause ---> my Ulcer medication.  My OB/GYN also recommended naFlora vaginal wash green. To wash it. And to always wear loose cotton underwear. And to not wear underwear at night, laying on clean cotton bedsheets.
Last year I had several yeast infections one after the other.  The doctor will prescribe the 1 day Fluconazole 150MG and after about a week of feeling better the symptoms will start again.  I will take the 2 and up to 3 doses of the Fluconazole and then again the yeast infection will come back again.  This went on for about 4 months until after reading some web sites I started to take probiotics.  I had finished a fluconazole dose and when I felt the burning and itchiness starting again I started taking Ultimate Flora Vaginal Support 50 billion, 2 caps in the morning and 2 caps at night.  After 2 days the symptoms were gone and have not come back (it has been 3 months already without problems).  I kept taking the probiotics but reduced it to taking only 1 in the morning and 1 at night.  You have to buy it at the market (do not order online) since it needs to be refrigerated.  Before I tried monistad, apple vinager, hydrogen peroxide, yogurt "suppositories", etc...  Nothing brought permanent relief.  Please give a continuous high dose of probiotics a try, let me know if it works for you as good as it did for me.
I HAVE HAD A REALLY BAD INFECTION..IT ICHEING.BURNING..ND I DISCHARGE REALLY BAD..WHAT CAN I BUY OVER THE COUNTER TO CURE IT SOMETHING EITHIER THEN CREAM.....XOXO..MISS SANDY
In reading the posts, I too, was struck by the arrogant attitude conveyed by the doctor. I am a psychiatrist. One of the disadvantages in online communication is the relative difficulty in conveying tone and emphasis. I appreciate that individuals seek answers and discuss ideas with an open mind, that is one reason to have public forums. I assume the doctor's intent was merely to provide what he believes is correct information. However, one should always be open to considering alternative view points. A most recent example is the tremendous backtracking of the medical community in the long held recommendations for various screening tests and their possible contribution to unnecessary invasive treatments. Another example, when I was in medical school, a gynecology professor believed so strongly in the global benefits of HRT, that he became enraged when I suggested that a woman's decision to start or to decline hormone therapy should be an individual one, rather than a definitive "every menopausal woman should have HRT, there's just no reason not to!" Questioning an challenging assumptions is the basis of scientific discovery.
I've read on other forums about inserting acidophilus capsules in the vagina and it being very effective in treating yeast infections. My question is to anyone that's done this is...after inserting the capsule at night does it just dissolve???  I did this last night and have to admit I feel better today than I've felt in days but I have not had in excessive discharge at all from using the capsule like I've heard others mention.  Am I to assume that it just dissolved??  I also take acidophilus orally but plan to continue on inserting it vaginally because it really seems to help so far.