Scar Tissue after breast reduction, does this cause pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I had a breast reduction surgery about four years ago.  I just recently began to feel one of my breast sentative and painful.  I have examined my self but don't feel any lumps, but I am worry that I my have breast cancer.  I was told that it might be scar tissue but I just don't know.  Can anyone tell me if this is what could be happening to me?
Hi,it could be scar tissue.Have you seen the surgeon that performed your breast reduction?You need to seen by the surgeon that performed the reduction,and him/her check it out.If it is scar tissue,the surgeon will do another surgery to remove the scar tissue.You need to make an appointment tomorrow.Take care.Happy Holidays.
I would think if it was related to your breast reduction scars you would've been having soreness/pain MUCH sooner.  Its been 4 years since you've had it done.  

You are having pain/soreness localized in one breast.  It sounds more like you may be developing something like a cyst. Determining the appropriate treatment for this type of breast pain is difficult, not only because it is hard to pinpoint where the pain is coming from, but also because the pain is not hormonal.

You need to schedule an exam and mammogram.
Subject: Breast Reduction Pain Four Years Later!

Question
I had breast reduction almost four years ago. My left breast has been hurting so much .When I get cold , the nipple starts to hurt and it sends excruciating pain to the breast. In order to relieve this pain if I am at home I will warm up a heating pad and the pain will start to subside.  However, it does not diminish completely. I also experience itching, sometimes the itching is excruciating . Sometimes numbness and always feels swollen. There are times when I also feel sharp very uncomfortable pains which just come.
I am so apprehensive to be put under again and have them not fix what it is.  ...but every waking breath of every day my left breast hurts.   I have been online looking and looking and have never found anything that might answer my question.  This is the first place I am hoping you might be able to shed some light on this.  AND...the saddest news of all is that my breasts are still size DD and the one that hurts is much bigger than the other one.  
Any suggestions for me?
thank you,
Dee572
does scarlet fever cause any scarring or loss of pigmentation?  Does anybody know if tanning would help or make worse?
I had a breast reduction june 08 after the surgery the healing process began. I developed a greenish brown infection on my left breast which was treated by my doctor. Now my left breast is hard like a rock with two lumps inside them. Could thiis be scar tissue? It is really painful and I can feel the lumps really good.
I have had chronic pain in my right breast since a breast reduction 10 years ago.  It is either from neuromas or nerves caught in scar tissue.  It sounds like you may have something similar.  My nipples are still sensitive, but not at the level you are talking about.

I had reduction 12 years ago. I have always had some degree of pain in my left breast which I was always told was scar tissue. There is also sutures or something that can be felt in there. It's very tender when I have brest exams. But, it is becoming excruciating pain the past 3 months. The pain is in my chest, my rib cage, through my back and to my shoulder. It hurts sometimes when I take a deep breath. I have been checked for all cardiac and blood clots and everything is normal. So, I really think it's my breast that is causing all this pain.  I am wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and how do you get it taken care of? My primary doctor gave me percocet for the pain and it helps the pain but, I think I am allergic to it because it makes me itch really bad and I get nauseous so, I hate taking it. I can't get an appointment with my Obgyn until December. Ugh.
I can relate to your response the most.  I also had a reduction 15 years ago and it has been over the past 4 years that I have major pains through out my chest.  No problems elsewhere so I have to conclude it's comming from all the scar tissue.  The pain radiates all through my chest and back.  Some days it's so bad I can hardly stand it.  I finally asked my Doctor during an annual routine physical and he said it was very possible the scars are causing the pain.  The Doc who did the reduction is in another state from where I'm living now so I can't go back to him.  I'm really at a loss for what to do. Taking pain pills doesn't sound pleasing so I've just been living with it.  But it's been progressively getting worst.  I really don't know what to do !!!
I had the surgery back in 2001 only 7 years ago and have felt the pain through my chest back and shoulders. sometimes making feel sick it hurts so bad... i'm glad to hear i am not the only one.
I had a breast reduction in 2003 (removing a total of 15 lbs.)  I discovered a lump in my right breast about 3 months after the surgery.  I went back to the surgeon and he said that it was scar tissue.  My OB/GYN indicates that it feels like scar tissue be it that my breast were sooooooo large prior to the surgery.  In the last 4-6 weeks (2008), I have been having really bad pain (sharp) in the same breast where the scar tissue is located and my nipple is often tender and sore.  I am glad that I am not the only one who has experienced this sharp and sometimes dull pain associated with the reduction and scar tissue.
I am glad I found this website as I know exactly what you're going through. I had breast reduction in Feb 2005 and have had pain every single day in my right breast since the surgery. I take pain meds daily (Tramadol and Neurontin) and like you, get sharp pains in my nipple in the cold and use a heating pad for relief.. My surgeon says it is a neuroma in the scar tissue and he has not had any patient besides me who is experiencing this problem, making me feel so alone with this extremely painful condition.   I wear a Lidoderm patch under my right breast during the day so that I can function at work. It is agony to wear a bra, but I have found that if I wear a lacy camisole underneath my bra instead of over it seems to help alleviate the pain.   I tried cortisone injections (very painful),  acupuncture, TENS unit, nerve blocks - all without relief. It is so frustrating, but knowing that there are others out there makes me feel like I'm not crazy.
Maybe a pain clinic could help you.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O MY GOSH,
I am so glad that I found this web site.My reduction was done Oct.2003 and I was sitting here with all of the same pains .
It's so bad....under my left breast  it feels like a pin in sticking with pain under my arm,in my chest,back all of the same things that you guys are feeling.
Has anyone found a doctor to help or is there any help for us???
You can get neuromas from breast reduction, they can sometimes be taken out if you have tinels signs.  This surgery has been done before, it is in the medical journals.  You can also get CRPS, or RSD from breast reductions.  That is a chronic pain condition resulting from nerve injury.  Most doctors don't know it is possible, but there have been 2 cases in the literature.  

Also, phantom breast pain has been noted in breast reductions.  Plastic Surgeons should tell people about this, but they don't, whether they are aware or not.  

You are best to find a Plastic Surgeon at a university hospital, or a neurologist who specializes in treating pain.  There are medications that may help, that treat nerve pain.
I thought I was going crazy.  I had breast reduction Aug 2006.  I had 12 lbs removed.  When it gets cold out, my breasts hurt so bad that I have to take something and put a heating pad on them.  I too asked the Dr what it could be and was told it was scar tissue.    I also get tightness.  The only thing that seems to help is a sports bra.  I do get the itching on my right breast.  I am not worried about any of this since the mammogram was fine.  I guess it's all part of the program.  Even with all of this, I would still do the surgery again in a heartbeat.
I had a liposuction breast reduction in 2002.  It seemed like it went well until 2006 when I started experiencing pain in a spot in the right side of back and down my right shoulder, wrist, and arm. The pain was joined by burning sensations and hypersensitivity to the point that I could not even stand clothing to touch my right arm.   It quickly progressed so that I have not been able to drive, cook, clean or do any of my normal household or hobby activities for the past two + years. After visits to 13 different doctors, multiple scans, tests, medications, I did not know what to do next.  All of the doctors seemed clueless as to treatment if drugs did not work.  The last doctor(pain management) suggested medical massage therapy for treatment of possible myofascial pain syndrome.  We did some research and found a therapist that specialized in, and taught myofascial release treatment. She evaluated me and found a profusion of internal scarring in my breasts and surrounding tissue as a result of the breast reduction.  I have been working with her for the past four months and have found some relief, but have a way to go yet. I have had tears in my eyes as I have been reading your accounts of the pain and disrupted lives.  I will pray for everyone here and may God bless you all.
I have had a breast reduction with liposuction on the sides about 10yrs ago.  In the beginning I experienced a little tingling in the breast, but nothing like the pain now.  I have recently experienced pain underneath my arm that radiates to my left breast to my nipple.  These pains can be sharp at times.  Do you suggest that I use a warm compress to help with the pain?  It is also very sensitive to touch the skin.  Have you heard of these types of problems occurring years later from this surgery?  
I used to work for a plastic surgeon this couold very well be just some scar tissue that has built up over time, However, you should call the surgeon that did the surgery just to be on the cautious side.
I am so glad I found this site. I too had a reduction about 4 years ago.
My left pain grew and the pain was a burning pain. I placed ice cubes under my arm and the left side of the breast. The ice melted fast. Then my right breast grew and burned as well. I went to a breast doc which told me to lose weight and I went to a breast cancer doc and they turned me away saying they dont deal in breast pain.  I have taken Vit E, Black Cosh and Evening primrose oil. I do not want to take any more meds but would like to find an answer to this issue. The pain stays for months and then I dont have amy pain but alwys comes back.  I now have the pain with the swollen breast but this time the breast do not burn.  I found a doc that will not pass it off as menopause or something stupid. She is sending me to a specalist which she says is very good and if that doc cant help then she will send me to a reduction doc. I am in a different state so maybe there is hope.  I really thought I was alone in this matter.    Thanks for all your stories and good luck to all.
I am glad that  found this site and that I am no the only one who is having this problem. I had my breast reduction about 3 years ago.The pain is primarily in my right breast, sometimes in both. I thought I was having upper back pain but have come to the conclusion that it is from scar tissue that may have adhered to nerves or musles. I have a mammogram and it came back ok. I have had physical thereapy and that has not help. The pain is progressively getting worst and sometimes unbareable. I hope and pray that we ALL find some relief.
Like most of you, I'm so glad I found this site.  My reduction was over 12 yrs ago and luckily I do not have "excruciating" pain like some of you do.  I was starting to think recently that I might need to go get my heart checked, because sometimes I get a dull pain in my left shoulder, chest and upper arm.  I've always had numbness and itching on that side and I knew that was from the surgery.  Every once in a while I do get a sharp pain too.  I'm almost 40, so I should have my heart checked "just in case", but it sounds like maybe it's just par for the course.  I'm still glad I had it done though.
Like all of you I am so glad I found this site.  I too had a reduction 2004, and have from time to time have sharp, dull, numbness in one breast, or sometimes both.  It is bother some, but if anyone comes up with a good remedy please post it.
Hang in there girls!
I had a breast reduction Oct. 08 and my left breast is not right.  my breast tissue has slipped down under my scar and is always pulling and feels very unconfortable.  I had another surgery and it feels worse than before.  Anyone else have anything like this.  I am scared to try yet another repair.

I have had three repairs on breast implant scar tissue.  I am experiencing pain in THE left  breast and i know it is scar tissue.  It is very scary but some of us just seem to produce scar tissue more than others. Iam one of them. Keep up with your mammograms. I Hope your pain Will subside with time.  
thanks god i came accross this. i've always wanted to reduce my breast but reading your comments made me think! thx
i am going to have breast reduction in march - and have been doing some research . i am really scared due to my age 52 and been a smoker since i was 11 years old. i plan on quitting march 1st .  reading all these posts have me thinking twice about this surgery . but i am so miserable and cant stand my large breast - the neck and shoulder pain etc.  my plastic surgeon assued me this is done on 80 year old women . i am so afraid of blood clots and  going under when i have smoked so many years .  even with all the pain that came later -would any of u do it again?  just to be able to wear clothes and not have breasts drooping out and not feel like i am carrying a bag of potatoes around would feel great .  due to having so much breast i have pain anyway i use heating pads . so i can take pain .  just want to know if its all worth it?  please someone respond to encourage me . also is the surgery painful ? afterwards?  kat
I'm about to have breast redution surgery and I've read anything and everything I could about the surgery. I've read that you can have phantom pains so that might be your problem...
Hiya ladies
Well this has def given me some answers ! I had my breast reduction 3 years ago and my left breast caused me terrible problems getting infection after infection and now I have a huge scar on the left breast. I have ever since had a pain on the furthest left side going under my arm . I havent been to see the Dr. about it as I was so fed up going back and forth to the hospital after the infection i felt like i had moved in i knew all the lovely nurses so well !
I did at one point think that something had been left inside me ! As the pain comes and goes but now mostly it is always there but def not as restricting as some of you ladies are suffering. It is def very tender to touch.
However......................
Kat i will have to tell you this ...I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
For me the advantages of having smaller breasts ( not too small, after surgery a c cup but i have put on a little weight so now a D cup) outweighs all the suffering i went through. It may sound vain but it has changed my life so much .... I can buy clothes off the peg, I dont have to shop for hours to find a dress to wear. In the summer ( I live in England so we dont get much sun ! ) i can even be cheeky and wear a halterneck with no bra ...yippeeee !! I have perky breast with my nipples facing north and not south !!   I love it....and so what i have extra scarring on my left breast? I hadnt planned on posing for playboy anyway heehee
Best of luck Kat and Ame
Many blessings to all you lovely ladies
Heres to smaller boobies and some relief for everyone
Jo  x    :):)
I also am having these burning and painful issues. I had my mamogram (mammogram) a few months ago. I have been noticing my left breast getting  larger and sagging a little. I always wear a bra. It's been ten years since my surgery. The mamogram (mammogram) came back suspicious. So I went and had other tests. The doctors got my previous mamogram (mammogram) back and compared the two. All they said was nothing has changed. I still feel something is not right. I am scared because I have one aunt that passed away from breast cancer and one who lost a breast to it, Ladies becareful. Get yourself checked just for peace of mind. Living with these thoughts takes a lot of energy. Kathy.
I had a breast reduction Dec 29, 09.  Was wondering about these sharp pains. After reading,  I am disappointed to find that this may go on for a very long time.  A few times I have wondered if I, too, have a heart issue because they are pretty sharp pains (sometimes when I breathe deeply).  Two years ago though had a normal EKG at a check-up.  Guess this is just a normal part of the process.  I was pleased with my doctor, but he did minimize the pain part (and I have given birth naturally)!  I also have numbness.  Feels like an arm or leg does when it "is asleep".  Does this go away?  I hope so, it is pretty strange.  I would still do the surgery again though.  I am tall & a size 8/10 & surgery removed 4.5 pounds of tissue which has made quite a difference in how I feel & cosmetically also.  Overall, I am very pleased, just wish the sharp pains & numbness & ITCHING would go away!
I had a breast reduction in December 2004. My left breast had problems because the incisions opened up and I had to deal with wound care. The left breast is very scared and ugly. In the last week or 2 I have been experiencing these sensation, itching and soreness in the both breast, mostly the left breast. The itching was kind of all over the whole breast at first and even my underarms and back a little. Now it's localized around the areoland nipple. At first  I was pre-menstral  so I had no worries. But now It's been 3 days after my period and the itching is still going on in my left breast and the soreness. The soreness never really went away but it is a little worse than usual. I am 31 years old. Very nervous and afraid. My mother was diagonsed with early BC in 2003. I had my sugery in New York and now Live in Chicago. I guess the best next thing to do is make an appointment with my OBGYN. Has anyone else experienced this?
Since age 14 I had fought for a breast reduction and finally insurance covered it at age 21 in 2001.  It was the best thing I have done for myself. A year after the surgery I had immense pain and had to go back in on the left breast to have cysts removed, and at that time he told me I already had a lot of scar tissue built up.  I have always had a little pain under my arms and down the side of my breast when it got cold but never really thought much about it.  Last year I began to have the pain turn into something worse...my entire left arm would go numb along with pain and tightness in my shoulder as well as muscle spasms.  Of course my first thought was I was having a heart attack so I rushed to the hospital and they said my EKG was great and that i am just suffering from anxiety due to stress and that I needed to learn to let things not bother me.  Since then I have boughts of these "attacks" thinking I have something wrong with my heart and the doctors were wrong.  This will start to make me feel anxious and constantly worry about it.  Reading everything that you all have written has helped ease my worries.  I moved out of town from where my cosmetic surgeon is but I may see if I can make a trip to follow up with him if my PCP can not help me.  Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one out there suffering!
PJ
Just Reading all your comments and i am disapointed to find that i may be left with the pain in the nipple area and the hardening for good. I had my left breast reduced 2 weeks ago and my right breast uplifted on the NHS. About 6 Days ago my left breast where i had the reduction there was a hard lump the size of a 10p under my arm it was painful to touch and could not put my arm against my breast. I was so concerned that i went back to see my consultant he said it was either a mass of dry blood,Built up fatty tissue or built up fluid from op as i had no drains put in at the time.I went away feeling daft as he told me that it would disperse over the nxt month. However i woke up this morning and the hardness has spread right across my breast and underneath my nipple. My Left breast was a FF and my right a D they reduced the right to a D cup but 2 weeks on i am still in an e bra. Will these stay like this now that the breast is hard??? Also i too am getting nipple pain when cold it feels like a burning sensation i am so upset that i may be left with this pain and hardness forever as they did not tell me about these risks only the usual ones. I am still glad i had it done as i have very perky even breasts now. sim
Im so so glad I found this website aswhile! I had a breast reduction in 2007 and I had a pulled muscle on the top of my left breast and I still have pain from it. But ever since the pulled muscle I now have pain in my lower left breast and I dont think it has anything to do with my pulled muscle.My husband keeps telling me its muscle tissue from my breast reduction and now that I have read all of the post on here Im starting to think thats what it is.I travel the country for my job so I have no doctor to go to if the pain starts to get worse should I get it checked out or will it eventually go away?I need some advice....
I had a breast reduction 8/12/10. I had a terrible reaction to bacitracin and neosporin which was to be applied to healing itchy breasts.  The allergy created cherry red breasts and severe burning - very much like a bad sunburn. Today is 9/14/10 and I still have the burning, but the coloring has subsided.  In the midst of these issues, the pathology report came back and indicated I had a 1.7 cm malignant invasive tumor that was blindly removed during the reduction!  I am so grateful for this surgery because the mammogram and ultrasound I had 2 months prior to this surgery did not detect this tumor, and due to the size of my breast, 46H, it would not have! I had 4.5 lbs removed from each breast.  This surgery saved my life and I will get throught this.  Hopefully this will change your mind if you're so afraid of having this surgery. I happen to be a first case for my plastic surgeon.  
I had a breast reduction I know it has been at least 8 or more years ago. Well at this moment I have a ache that is in between my breast and it is painful. I have had problems with this before even since I was in the 5th grade. The doctor said it was mastitis and I would run fever and even have a hard cyst develop. But some people are just prone to things like that I think, yes it's scary but it just happens. I have had scar tissue bother me too and all the doctor would do is give me some antibotics and send me on my way. Yes it would get better but it is painful...God Bless everyone and Prayer WORKS!!!
my left breast is swollen and painful with a knot at the bottom of it. I had breast implants about 2 year's ago. Is this normal?
First thanks so much for this post, because I thought I was the only ONE!

I too have the sharp pains in both of my breasts. I went back to my doctor and was given steriod shots in both breasts which are very painful!!! It helped to flatten my scar and now I dont have the sharp pain in my right breast, but however I still have them in the left breast. Try getting a steriod shot to help! If not, this is only if you have keloid scars you can try to have them remove some of your scar by radiation, which was suggested to myself. Hope this helps!
I had my reduction over a month ago - I am THRILLED with the results! The scars look better than I ever thought they would. However, I am having trouble with burning in my right nipple. I am hoping this will subside in a few months. If anyone has advice for me - I'll take it! I did also have a lot of pain post surgery and still do to be honest BUT IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE! Go for it, Ladies!
I had my breast reduction 5 years ago, I was a 38DDDD, So  I am thrilled at the 38 D. I have been experiencing a few of the sysmtons that some of you have had. Sharp pains in the left breast & under the Left arm. In process of getting my heart checked out, but I know that is not it beacuse most of the testing is negative for anything. My left breast just feels like it has a dull pain, where the scar is. & it's not everyday. Thank God! Thank you for posting all your feedback, It truly helps! It is wise to get our breast checked! I also am a true believer in the faith & I believe God can heal anything! Be blessed!!
I am so happy to have found this web page too - I had a breast reduction 14 years ago when I was 20. it was the best decision I ever made - even having to go back into hospital 3 weeks after the operation to have 3 huge absesses dealt with - I am scarred yes - but who the hell cares when I went down 7 cup sizes! If anyone is scared - don't worry about it - JUST do it - it really changes your life!!!!!
However I am glad to read this page as I have had some pain in my left breast - where I had the absesses! I am assuming that it is scar tissue just hurting and perhaps as we get older we have more aches and pains. It does actually hurt more during my monthly - and am assuming that this is hormonal - however I will watch over this over the coming months! I am 35 and have had 2 kids so perhaps body just saying wear a better bra (Rigby and Peller was my visit yesterday) and boy what a difference - worth every penny of the £69 bra!!!!!!!
Good luck girls and do it if you can!!!!!!! Worth every moment of pain!
I had a breast reduction done 2 yrs ago and still cannot find a comfortable bra. I have spent a fortune on expensive bras and fittings. My underlying scars (horizontal) are raised and have keloids which are very tender and bras hurt it more. My surgeon tells me my scars are looking great, but I don't know why she would say that...it has been two years and should they still be red and tender at this point?  Steroids, stretching exercises and lazer did not help. Now I am waiting to see someone at a pain clinic. Wonder if that is also a waste of time. Has anyone else gone through the same trouble as myself?
I had a brest reduction in Feb 2010. It is by far one of the worst things I ever did. I am in so much pain in my right breast. I have to take pain pills everyday (and I can take pain). I can not lay on my stomach anymore,on my right side, or take a shower and have the water fall on my right side. I recently had to undergo a surgery for the pain...they found 8 lumps,fat necorsis,an extremly rare inflammation due to the breast reduction, fluid left from the surgery,and hematomos. The surgeon that did this last surgery said that I may or maynot be in pain for the rest of my life...and suggest that I have the whole reduction done over again to get the "dead" tissue out. Bummer indeed.

I am still much larger than I anticipated being...and the scars that I have from the reduction make me look as though I was hacked. I am trying to hire an attorney to sue the surgeon that did my reduction...and you would think that this would be an easy task...but,it is not. On top of it,I may have to pay to have a second reduction done myself.

My advice to anyone considering having this surgery done...make sure you fully check out the surgeon. Mine was board certified...I looked him up on the medical board. Everything checked out fine. But now I have found out that he has been sued 20+ times...and you can find this information out by calling the court house in the city that your doctor practices in...it will not come up on the medical board website...only complaints made against him/her will.

Good luck!
Thank you for all your posts they were very helpfull.  I had my reduction on the 24th of November and I am very happy with the size and shape but have been stuggling with the pain, incision itching, pain in chext and a lump the size of a quarter.

I have been to the surgeon twice sice and my doctors once and have taken a round of anyi biotics but nothing is working yet.  I was about to hall myself to the emerg when I stumbled onto this webiste. Glad to hear ( sorry for your  pain) that this is somewhat normal.

At this point still the best decision I have made :) that may change if the pain gets worse.  I went from a 42E to a 42B approx
I had breast reduction surgery in 2004, and I just started having pain in my right breast underneath the nipple and on the nipple.  I'm so glad I found other women who are having the same issue.  I was worried that it might be something serious, but I get keloids (thick scar tissue), so I'm not that surprised that it could be scar tissue.  I usually get the pain at night and it hurts the most when I'm laying on my side reading.  I really hope this pain is temporary.

And even with this pain, I would get a breast reduction again in a heartbeat!  Thanks for sharing ladies, I feel a lot better!
I am not sure where you ladies live, but if you can find a Registered Massage Therapist, they can help you with the scar tissue.  Massaging the scar after the wound has healed helps to decrease the amount of scar tissue formed.  If you check for massage therapists in your area, call them and ask if they have experience with massage after breast reduction.  Because this is not something we talk about openly, many people are unaware of the benefits of massaging after breast reduction.
I too have had severe pain in both my breast, and I keep getting cortisol shots to no longterm avail. Its only been a year but I get sharp pains at random, my hair is falling out, and the itching is unbelieveable! The cortisol last for about two weeks and the pain is almost unbearable. I have no clue what to do. I wish I knew before hand these issues I would have just delt with the back pains from my breast being too large. I hope someone will find relief and pass it on to the rest of us.
Wondering if you found a solution, as I have the same symptoms as you, and no direction for help. Please advise if you have any advice at all.
Glad that I found someone who is having Cortisone shot...I had a breast reduction and liposuction in Dec/11 I am very happy with the size BUT I have lots of hard scar tissue..They gave me 2 shots of cortisone and Now my monthly period started after 15 years of not having my menstruation...I am not to sure what to do anymore...Any one with that problem??
hAD A BREAST REDUCTION 3 YEARS AGO - WAS VERY PLEASED WITH EXCEPT THEIR WAS 1 SCARE UNDER MY LEFT BREAST.  AS TIME HAS GONE ON I HAVE HAD PAIN IN MY LEFT BREAST THAT RADIATES INTO MY ARM AND NECK...MY BROTHER DIED AT 50 WITH A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK AND MY DAD AT 82 WITH HEART DISEASE -- WITH THAT BEING SAID I HAVE BEEN SCARED TO DEATH THAT IT HAS BEEN MY HEART AND NOT MY BREAST - HAD IT CHECKED OUT BY A HEART DOCTOR - HAD ALL TESTS DONE AND ALL CAME OUT O.K. THAT GOD...BUT STILL HAVING THESE TERRIBLE PAINS IN MY LEFT BREAST.  I WENT BACK TO MY PLASTIC SURGEON AND HE GAVE ME CORDIZONE  SHOTS - HELPED FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS AND THEN AGAIN THE PAIN - WENT BACK AGAIN AND HE GAVE ME ANOTHER SHOT AND TOLD ME THAT IT WAS SCAR TISSUE AND PROBABLY HITTING A NERVE....NO ONE EVER TOLD ABOUT THIS BEFORE...I HAVE REALLY BEEN SCARED TO DEATH THAT IT STILL WAS MY HEART UNTIL I READ THIS WEB SITE...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ALL FOR SHARING YOUR STORIES, BECAUSE I WAS REALLY STARTING TO THINK I WAS NUTS...NOW MY ONLY FEAR IS THAT HE WANTS TO REMOVE THE SCAR TISSUE  AND WHAT IF IT MAKES IT WORSE...
HAS ANYONE HAD IT REMOVED AND WAS IT SUCCESSFUL...THIS IS REALLY WEARING ON ME....
I had my breast reduction in 2004 and at first it was an instant relief, but I was left with a lot of scare tissue. Soon about two years later I have begin to have back,chest, and breast pains. I live on ibuprophen, I need a solution
Now that this much time has passed, are you still having the described pain?  When I read your question, I completely related.  Sounds like I have gone through the very same thing.   Please update me on your status.
I had a breast reduction May 2009. For the first year I expected to have some pain while healing. My sharp pains have never gone away. I would get sharp pains, radiating pains, contracting pains, itchness, just sitting, driving, even laying in bed. I went back to my surgeon, told me I am experiencing the pains from keliod scaring I have. He injected steriod into my scars, they did flatten out some but still continue to have the pains. I went back for my follow up he told me about a light treatment used to help with the pain of the scars and will lighten the scarring. Sounded great to me. I was informed of just a little bit of swelling after but would go away. After my first light treatment I was burned and it left me with discoloration in my areola. I went back to my doctor upset with the discoloration, and still having the pain. He told me that he could not guarentee my color in my areola to return. I did not have another treatment because I was afraid of losing more color to my areola and a chance of the pain never going away. He left me feeling that there was no other options for me. I pain comes and goes, sometimes I feel like throwing up because of the pain. If anyone has any information on a cure for this I am interested. And I advise not to have a light treatment done. If any of your scars look like mine you are already self consious don't do anything else to draw more attention to your scars.
I had breast reduction in 2006.  My left breast has a constant itch. Has anyone had this before. What is it?
HI, I HAD MY BREAST REDUCTION IN NOV.2011. SO FAR I'VE EXPERIENCE NUMB,KELOID,ITCHING,SHARP PAINS NOW AND THEN.I ALSO HAVE A SMALL LUMP IN MY LEFT BREAST. I HAD A ULTRA SOUND  DONE ON IT AND THE RESULTS WAS .WELL, IT COULD BE SCAR TISSUE OR FLUID SACKS OR POCKET BUT IT IS NOT CANCER. NOW, I DIDNT HAVE ANY DRAINAGE TUBES .HOWEVER, I WENT FROM A SIZE J TO A  c CUP. I HAD ALMOST 8LBS REMOVED. WHAT IM NOT UNDERSTANDING IS BEFORE THE SURGERY I WEIGHED 181LB AND AFTER THE SURGERY I REMAINED 181LB. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 8LB I LOST? OH I FOR GOT I HAD A LITTLE SCAR UNDER MY RIGHT BREAST.. THE BOTTOM LINE IS A CAN LIVE WITH THIS LITTLE DISCOMFORT. I AM HAPPY AND THANKFUL.
This is the most exciting things I have seen in years!

I had breast reduction surgery July 2000.  Twelve pounds total removed from both breasts.

Eleven years later, I am sufferring from breast, shoulder and arm pain.  Horrible pains.  I have had ultrasounds and mammograms, chest xrays, back xrays, shoulder xrays, ct scan.  All to rule out cancer.  Information all points back to scar tissue from the breast reduction.

The physician who performed the surgery advised that it is scar tissue with trapped nerves.  Surgery will not guarantee correction, but can cause more scarring.

I cannot say I would not have had surgery if I had known.  I think if I were better prepared, I would not have suffered so much when the pains started and refuse to go away.

I am happy that persons embarking on this journey will now have resources not available to me so many years ago.
Wow, so glad I found this thread. I feel supported and comforted by everyone's stories. I had breast surgery back in 1992 when I was in my mid-20s. It all went well, and I LOVED the results. I still have no regrets. Yes, skin scarring, numbness, and itching, but all that was expected. It's only been over the past at least 4 years, however (not really sure exactly when it started), that I have started to feel pain, starting in lumps I've found on the outside of the breast near the armpit (a very scary place to find lumps with regard to cancer BTW) and very recently, not in or even near my breasts at all - but rather on the sides of my chest cavity, but more toward my back. The pain there can now be extreme.

I do believe all this must be related to internal scarring and nerves. I hypothesize 2 other causes: 1) the actual mammograms I have had to check for cancer. A pain so excruciating in one exam I had a few years back HAD to have caused tissue damage. It was so painful that I am terrified of ever doing it again, though I know I have to. I wish there were a better C detection method. 2) Weight gain and poor diet. I have gained so much weight in recent years that my breast are starting approaching the size the used to be! Surely the increased number of fat cells must be imposing on my breast tissue! The fact that I am older and scar tissue has had time to harden further must also be related.

It's funny - I've been able to deal with the pains here and there in various spots of my breasts, but now that it's spread to almost my back area, it's more intense and harder to withstand. How strange that it would be there? If it hadn't been a gradual process I would never have associated it with my breasts. Reading everyone's previous posts confirms it. Feels like a really severe deep internal bruise that comes on and off and sometimes pulsates. I also get it in the shoulder area.

I'm going to work hard on staying on a whole foods vegan diet (lots of raw) and lose a lot of weight. I don't really support BIG Pharma much, so will avoid any meds. Will try to remember to report back with any positive results. You know, I really don't think the medical community knew anything of long term effects. The procedure hasn't existed for so long, after all!
I am currently experiencing the same type of pain in my right breast. My plastic surgeon recently pasted away within the last year so I don't really know what to do to get this fixed this mostly happens after I have been wearing a bra and go to lay down, I can't lay on my back with out it hurting and when I lay down you can see the lump that underlies the right breast. Has anyone found an answer to this problem other than pain medication??
I received my lift 8.12.09, I have experienced throbbing, sharp shocks in my right breast. I was so scared to get a mammo, I have had 2 since and they both were clear. My surgeon said that almost every woman who has a lift/reduction will experience some degree of scar tissue. I was a 32DDD now a 32D. The best advice I can give for occasional swelling, heat is Scarguard. It is a silicone that immediately clears the heat and is great for scarring. The key to relieving pain is constant massage. MASSAGE often, especially during menstrual flow when breast become engorge. A partner can do this for you or ask for a professional massage for breast surgery, they are the best. I massage anytime I feel the sharp pains and it subsides. I shutter the thought of going under the knife again and realized its not worth it. Surgery was the best thing that ever happen to me as I was a saggy 32DDD that made it to an F during pregnacy! My procedure went under the muscle, no implant bt Dr lasered a "shelf" to adhere new tissues to prevent future sagging. MASSAGE often not just post suregery, all the tie! Good Luck Ladies, great forum!
I am also glad I found this site and know I am not alone. I had my BR 15 months ago and overall am happy with the smaller breasts and it has helped my back pain a lot.  I still have a painful hard spot on my left breast near the aerola.  I had a mammogram within the last 6 months and everything was fine. But, I still worry about it because it feels strange and sometimes it is quite painful.  It feels like over time, it has gotten smaller. My surgeon tells me not to worry, but I do.  Does the scar tissue eventually go away?  Even my husband is a bit concerned. Also, I still have a hard time wearing a wire bra. Thanks.
hi,i want to know if you went through with the breast reduction,if you have had any pain & if you gave up smoking,its now 18 months since you posted this.
hi, i have had my breast reduction done abuot 5 years ago on November 11. I have pain in my breast especially in the cold. But the pain compared to having the large breast is well worth it and i would do it 100 times over if i had a chance or had to again. The recovery isnt that bad, but you are sore for quite a while. I had 12 pounds of tissue cut off, so it was a big deal!!! I hope you will decide the right thing for you...only you know this. GOd bless!
Try using Arnica Gel - it works to reduce pain very quickly
I'm glad I came across this websit, I had a breast reduction suergery twice and I feel great. I feel some pain from time to time but its much better than having very large breast.  
Phantom pains - absolutely!!!  See an energy practitioner to balance the energies, something like post op soft tissue trauma release or Etascan treatments, even Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners might be able to help. Dr's concentrate only on the physical body (that is what they are trained for) and we are energy bodies as well and energy ALWAYS remain so it needs to be balanced after it has been disturbed.  I just had it done after my breast reduction and it really has helped.  I am planning to carry on with it and also take something like Neurobion to assist nerve healing, until I am comfortable.  Interestingly it would appear to often be the left hand side - which represents our feminine energy whereas the right hand side is our masculine energy.  We are a lot more complicated than we realize and often miss the most important things because it is not tangible.  Good luck.
Phantom pains - absolutely!!!  See an energy practitioner to balance the energies, something like post op soft tissue trauma release or etascan treatments, even traditional chinese medicine practitioners might be able to help. Dr's concentrate only on the physical body and we are energy bodies and energy ALWAYS remain so it needs to be balanced after it has been disturbed.  I just had it done after my breast reduction and it really has helped.  I am planning to carry on with it and also take something like Neurobion to assist nerve healing, until I am comfortable.  Interestingly it would appear to often be the left hand side - which represents our feminine energy whereas the right hand side is our masculine energy.  We are a lot more complicated than we realise and often miss the most important things because it is not tangible.  Good luck.
I am so sorry to hear that so many are having such a hard time since breast reduction surgery. I had breast reduction surgery about 18-24 months ago. I went back for revisions twice, most recently 6 months ago. My external scarring looks great! I get occasion sharp chest pains, shoulder pain and my nipples are sensitive most of the time. However I was blessed in that my discomfort is very doable without any medications. You are all in my prayers.
Had some scar tissue but didnt have any pain or  issues. Its now 2011 and just felt this really hard lump on the top side of my right breast, so painful . I have sonogram and mammogram scheduled for jan 12th but is just praying for relief. The lump feels like a bullet. Am praying for a miracle and hope its not cancer
I had breast reductiom about 17 yrs ago, Had some scar tissue but didnt have any pain or  issues. Its now 2011 and just felt this really hard lump on the top side of my right breast, so painful . I have sonogram and mammogram scheduled for jan 12th but is just praying for relief. The lump feels like a bullet. Am praying for a miracle and hope its not cancer
I had a neuroma(s) which is not very common in a breast reduction.  It is more common with breast cancer patients who have breast reconstruction. I had the neuroma in my left breast.  They are very painful.  My plastic surgeon acted surpised when I told him. He thought it was just scar tissue.  I suffered needlessly for about a year.  I learned that neuromas can get embedded in scar tissue. It was another doctor who told me about this condition.  I had a cortisone shot and local anesthetics to treat the pain.  So far, it is working. I am also taking Neurontin.  If you ever feel discomfort, don't wait, see a Pain Specialist.  I suffered so much to get my left breast closer to normal.  I don't know if will ever be 100% normal, but it is much better than it was thanks to my Pain Specialist.  I sometimes regret having this breast reduction because of all the pain and suffering I went through.  I had to miss work a lot because of all the doctor visits to get this resolved.  I also had to pay for this surgery because my insurance company would not cover it.  It was a tax write-off though.  If you decide to get a breast reduction, get referrals from friends if you can.  I think I should have done more research before I picked my plastic surgeon.  I can't help but wonder if this happened due to his negligence.  I know there is always a risk to any surgery, but I just wonder.  
Hi ladies! I too had a breast reduction. I had mine probably about 11 years ago. I too have been experiencing breast pain, soreness and itching in my right breast. I have not experienced any of the chest or back pains that some of you guys have been experiencing. I have complained about the pain to my doctor and was sent to have a mammogram on several occasions and have been told each time that I have a lot of scar tissue in that right breast. However, the pain is so aggravating at times especially when its that time of the month. I guess the good news out of all this is that all my mammograms have come back with good news.
OMG, I've tried to explain this pain to many people and they just look at me like I have 5 heads!!! I had a breast reduction 16 years and ever since then I would periodically have the MOST EXTREME EXCRUCIATING PAIN in my both of my nipples, they would become hard enough to break glass, and a piercing throbbing pain would remain until I could get some sort of heat applied directly to them. I think my problem is a tiny bit different then the others I've read but the similarity of the pain is very the same! The surgeon who did my reduction is now in Hollywood, I actually saw her on an info-mercial one night!!! Any suggestions??? Or must I just suffer the rest of my life
Have you tried Neurontin?It seems to help me.Gabapentin is the generic name.I ahve "wings"and alot of scar tissue.
I had a reduction about 5 years ago.I sometimes feel as if small fish hooks are being pulled through my nipples or perhaps pain shoots through the areolar region quickly and intermittently throughout the day for about 4 days around  the time I used to have menstruations.( I am after menopause).I WAS warned there would be shooting pains and that most women will have some.Some worse than others.Gabapentin works very well for some of us.
Dear dee,
I have a feeling my reply is late. You sound just like me 8 years ago. I had painful, burning feeling breasts. OBGYN laughed at me, as no cysts, mammo fine, asked if I wanted male hormones....a moron....this went on for a year. Suddenly, my nipple, which was partially inverted (Yeah, Doc was REAL bad) and became blood red. No imaging tests showed this cancer. NONE. (I demanded to see a breast surgeon after doc suggesteted pagents or inflammatory) Surgical biopsie showed cancer in nipple, tissue and skin...6 mos. extensive chemo THEN mastectomy/tram flap. Chemo needed "Proadjuvunt" (before surgery) as no time to heal from surgery, cancer could have traveled anywhere. Please, if not already, heed this advice and get to a good onclologist immediately. I'm on here currentyl as 8 years after my mastectomy and lift/reduction of other breast I'm feeling the pain again....this time in the lifted breast nipple. I tried to ignore it but it's getting worse and worse....this familiar pain...I see dr. Friday....I'm very nervous...don't want this now beautiful breast all cut up and scarred like the rest of me to find the "C" if it's there...I wasted to much time worrying it would come back...now I'm ready to live life again and this happens...lesson...live everyday in gratitude for all you have...don't wait to accomplish something, do it now...don't let others take your good energy...I Pray to God it's not too late for me...God Bless.
I know how you ladies are feeling I had a breast reduction in 1988. In the past two years I have had extreme left breast pain near the areas where the underwire lays. I have had multiple mammograms and kltrasounds and they keep telling me it is " thickening". Still scared but waiting for more results from smaller compression mammogram. The other suggestion was perimenopause causing tissue changes...
I had a breast reduction in 1985.I had no problems for 20 years.Then the bottom fell out. I began having abcesses that were excrutiating. I am seeing a sugeon who treats the abcesses with Flagyl and Levaquin. the problem is reoccuring. It came down to my having surgery to remove scar tissue. My breast was cut in half. He left it open bc it was healing outside in and leaving a pocket that would bcome infected. I went thru 6 months nof home health having to pack the breast. It healed and I have been pain and infection free since.I am suffering now with the left breast. I missed my mammogram last year and my doctor chewed me out. He keeps telling me that the scar tissue can turn into cancer. I am having a mammogram on Wednsday and am dreading it bc I am having those sharp shooting pains deep inside of my breast.I am hoping to have this breast reduced like the right one.Ladies it helps to have the scar tissue surgically removed. Ask your doctor about the possibility of leaving the breast open and having it packed to promote its healing from the inside out
My wife is in pain from not wearing proper bras for 20 plus yrs. and wants liposuction and breast augmentation due to breast migration.lm   worried that what im reading now will happen...has anybody had this done and had a good outcome
I have had my breast reduction almost one year ago and I have always felt more pain in my left breast. I thought that it was because I was healing but now almost a year later it seems to be worse. It is consistently sensitive and sore and gets sharp pains often. I am not sure what it is but I am glad that I'm not the only one. I am going to make an appointment with my surgeon and will comment again with the results.
This is exactly what is happening to me now ! What did you find out?
Same thing is happening to me. Its been 20 years since my breast reduction surgery. I turned 50 this year and just this month noticed a red sore spot under my right breast causing me a lot of pain. I saw my OB/Gun who said it didn't appear to be anything more than a cyst so no treatment was ordered except for a loooong overdue mammogram. To my surprise my mammogram had shown mircocalcifications along the scar tissue under my right breast.  I return for a spot mammogram tomorrow (3 days later than first mammogram) I am so nervous now and in I in excurating pain under both breast (right along the scar tissue area) and across my back.  Anyone have any advice?
I had a reduction by a well known plastic surgeon... first she tried to do it with lipo....that didn't take enough out... went back and had it done the other way, cut and paste.. which was far less painful! bottom line, it has been nearly 9 yrs now and the pain underneath each breast from the lipo never went away...there are hard painful lumps there.. I went back to her 3 times and she said I just needed to rub them out.. I rubbed for several years! have given up... she told me could not do another surgery to remove the scar tissue as it would cause other scar tissue! DO NOT DO LIPO!
Bra's are excruicating...! any one know one that feels halfway comfortable... I am 69 and cannot run due to back but I do need to wear a bra just to go around in or when I freelance as a makeup artist, any help appreciated.. tired of pain pills and neurotin and drugs.. had way too much of all this.. has anyone gotten these lumps removed by 2nd surgery?
I just had a breast lift 4 months ago initially the nipples were fine (slightly numb)... then 2 weeks post=op hypersensitive.... 4 months on my nipples remain hypersensitive and sometimes swollen sore to touch .. and look like they retain fluidy bits beneath the areola... in uneven areas.. I get the occasional lightening-like shots in the breasts.. but more the nipple area... I'm worried about the fluidly puffy bits under the areola... I had it done o'seas... my GP says give it a year :/ but it gets in the way of intimacy...
I found this site... its great http://www.cosmeticsurgeryforums.com/scar_treatments.htm#Difference_Between_Hypertrophic_and_Keloid_Scarring
I had a breast reduction in 98.  I was a DD or possibly DDD before surgery and although I wanted to be a C cup was more of a D.  Although I was thrilled initially with the smaller size overall I was not satisfied with the outcome.  

At the time I had the surgery I was so desperate to be smaller and not have the weight of my heavy breasts that I decided on the first doctor that I had a consultation with.  He seemed nice enough and was very excited about his work but soon it became obvious that he had a habit of running in and out of the exam room and not really taking the time to allow you to relax and and ease into the consultation and think of all the questions that you had.

I felt rushed and just did not feel comfortable but went ahead anyway and planned the surgery.  The day of the surgery I was excited to finally be rid of this weight.  He comes in and starts of calling me by the wrong name.  Common sense would tell you that this might be the time to cancel the operation and get out of there as fast as one could but again I corrected him and hoped for the best.

Once I was in the op room being prepped the doctor came in and introduced someone that was going to be present in the OR with us.  I cant remember her title but she seemed young and I assumed that she would be observing during the procedure.

The surgery went without a hitch but upon waking as I was looking down my body at my new boobs I was disappointed that my left breast was still larger than my right.  ( I had stressed to the Dr that I wanted even breasts because I was always so unhappy with the larger and heavier left side).  When I mentioned this to the doctor he said that it would improve as the breasts adjusted to their new size and if not he could do a revision in office.

Also my nipples we still large as he did not minimize them to suit the new breast size so being that my left nipple was larger before it was larger on a smaller breast.  I also mentioned to him that I wanted to be much smaller that I was.  He stated that because of the lollipop cut that I did he was not able to take more.  He stated that he took about 200grams.  To this day I do not know if that is per breast or both. It certainly does not feel like per breast.

Eventually it dawned on me that the young lady that was in the OP room with us was "allowed" to practice on me.  The difference in the workmanship on the 2 was completely different.  When I mentioned this to the doctor at the follow up he didn't say anything.  I spent the night in the overnight suite and the Dr. was great in that he was there with me all night himself assisting me to the bathroom when I had to vomit giving me pain killers ect.

I have to admit that I was so green and ignorant about any surgical procedures or protocols  when one is having any work done that I kind of let too many things slide.  In all fairness I believe that the Dr. was a skilled surgeon but because I did not know how to get my needs met by him and communicate exactly what my expectations were it made for a less that satisfactory experience.

Looking at my breasts as time went on I had to admit that the breast on the right that the Dr. himself had done was would have been perfect if not for the fact that the breast was larger than I wanted it to be and that the areola was a bit larger than it should have been.  The breast on the left however is the one that I had problems with.  As others have mentions I had INTENSE itching and pain to the touch in that breast for years.  It the itching would drive me out of my mind sometimes it was so bad.  To this day I have pain if the nipple/areola is squeezed and there is not much sensation in the breast at all.  I believe that  is from an unskilled person working on me and damaging (permanently I'm pretty sure) nerves.  Not to mention that now it hangs a good inch lower than my right nipple and has the look of a bullet shape as the nipple is always puffy and distended looking because too much tissue sits in the nipple areola and I think this may be one of  the reasons that I have no feeling but pain or discomfort in this breast when touched....

Let me interject right here that I was ok with the smaller breasts for a little while because even though they were not small enough to satisfy what I wanted for myself they were still lighter and somewhat smaller (not as long) until I got pregnant in 2002.  Now they are just as heavy and seem to be just as long as they were the first time and since then I have been very unhappy with my breasts and I want so badly to try it again and I am sure one day I will.

This brings me to something that I think may help others who have been suffering with scar tissue and the nerves bundled up within scar tissue( this is something that I think I had because I had an area under my left areola that drove me craze with deep intense itching and hearing people here describe it has convinced me that this was my problem).  It was to the point that I thought that something was left inside that breast because the itching was locating deep within my breast in one spot and when I tried to massage it for relief it made it worse.  It itched so bad that I had to just pat it and clench my teeth until that horrid itch subsided.

So this year I found out about and enzyme called Serrapeptase.  It is the enzyme that a caterpillar secretes that eats through the chrysalis so the newly formed butterfly can break free.  I took it because I have high blood pressure and it is excellent for clearing out the veins and arteries of plaque, eating away at scar and dead tissue in the body and a host of other things.

I took a bottle of 90 caps until gone and only recently realized that I no longer have that deep itch in that area or that feeling that something is left inside my breast.  To massage that area does not bring on the painful unbearable itch that it used to and Im pretty sure that the serrapeptase has helped with this as I have had this problem since the surgery in 98 until now.

My plan is to get more of it and use it for a longer period of time and get rid of any other remaining scar tissue within my body.  Maybe this is something that others may consider that will help with the suffering.  I only wish I had known about this many years ago I would have taken it immediately after surgery.

Even with all of that I would still do it again.  In fact when I am able financially to do it again I will in a heartbeat only this time I will be a much more informed and educated patient and I will make sure to get exactly what I want.  What I want is not unreasonable just symmetry, b/c cup size and minimal scarring and post op problems.

Sorry for the long post but this is the first time in 15 yrs since my surgery that I told anyone my full experience and I feel so relieved just to vent how unhappy my first experience at a breast reduction was.  It also makes me realize that I can still get the results I so badly wanted the first time with planning and really doing my homework this time.
I had breast surgery and ended up with scaring that left me very conscious of what I wear. After 6 months of using the Dr Max Powers Scar Serum faithfully everyday, I now hardly even notice them. Wonderful silky feeling with no greasy feeling.
I had breast reduction surgery in 1998 and have had pain in both ta tas. It becomes unbearable at times when I get cold and the nips, for lack of a better word, hard.  Does anyone else have this issue and if so how do you cope?