Sciatic flare up and menstrual cycle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Sciatic flare up and menstrual cycle?

As of now I'm sitting at home unable walk. I have had a few sciatic flare ups, over the years but nothing like this. Usually it's ONLY in my right buttock and right hip, and goes away in a day. This time its in my hips, entire lower back, both buttocks, the backs of my thighs, the side front of my thighs and all the way down to my ankle bones. Accompanied with muscle twitching in random places in my legs. About 4 days ago I experienced the worst menstrual cramps I've ever had, right before passing blood.  I had light cramps for the entire week before, which has been happening for about a year now so I'm kind of used to that. But with every cycle it was worsening cramps every month...or every other month...or whenever I have a period. I don't even know when it's coming anymore besides having light cramps a week prior.  My last period was pretty bad. I was visiting my Mom. The pain went from nothing to really bad in minutes and had to lay on my face on her floor. I couldn't even drive home, it was so bad. It's the only comfortable position I could find. I had passed large clots that time, but just 4 days ago I passed even bigger ones. The first one, about maybe over 3 inches in circumference and passed 4 more that same size in one day. I bled heavily for 1.5 days and 3 days later, my period completely stopped.  Now I'm experiencing a crippling episode of sciatic flare up.  Not until today I had a light click on....I've realized I got a flare up in my leg and lower back after or near the end of every period I've had in the last two years. Is this connected some how? A light period with light sciatic problems and a paralyzing period followed by paralyzing sciatica?
Tags: Period
The secondary dysmenorrhea is due to pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroids, endometriosis (abnormality of lining of uterus), pelvic tumors, and intra uterine device (like copper-T) etc. You should consult gynecologist for internal examination and other test needed to detect it's cause. Endometriosis is an important possibility to be ruled out in your case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.