Searing Pain 4 weeks after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Searing Pain 4 weeks after hysterectomy

I had my Uterus removed 4 weeks ago today. I keep having severe pain in my left side mainly..almost a stabbing when i move a certain way. I have also started having pain on the right side now..but more of a dull throbbing. Has anyone out there experienced this? Doc has ordered Cat Scns and Ultrasounds for next week. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Do you still have your ovaries?  If so, I think they could be the problem.  Keep us posted.
Hi, I just bumped up a post that was fresh only a few days ago. And, today I found it on Page 9 !  My suggestion is that you print it out if you can and take the question about adhesions to your doctor including the evidence I experienced based on my last lap that the massage technique really works. And, I am trying to recall exactly when the pain for me started. All I knew is that by the third month after the hysterectomy, they were looking for all sorts of other problems because the pain I was having was so very bad.  

On the Ovarian Cancer Patient to Patient, there is a woman who is a retired nurse who talked about this technique and said that there are patients who start just massaging themselves while just a few days out of surgery so that they can prevent adhesions...there is one other poster too who had heard of massage to break up these nasty things....But, honestly, in all these years since my surgery in 2000 the information about how to effectively get rid of these things is very scarce...and, it saddens me since there really is a solution that does not involve surgery.

Be sure to check with your doctor to see if it is okay for you to try the massage..

Let me know if you have any problems finding the post...it says something like "Scar tissue/Adhesions"  ....gee...I must be overly tired today because I just checked on the name of the thread and now cannot recall what it says exactly.

Did you have ovaries removed?

Take care, and if you can, try to let me know that you saw this post since I do worry that some responses get missed due to the large volumn of posts on this forum.

Sincerely, Mary
Yes,they did leave the ovaries and cervix. Is it possible that i may have ripped a staple I wonder?

I'm sure you are eager to speak with the doctor. And, it sounds as if you are being heard which is helpful.

I have 3 or 4 little clips in my body to hold things up, so I am told, after having a complete or Radical hysterectomy. I have never had any problems with them. They do show up on CT scans, so if  you are having a problem with a staple, I am pretty sure it would show up, but I am not certain.

My pain from the adhesions was both sharp and then dull and then sometimes just dull and vice versa.

Let us know how things go for you, OK? And, I am glad you found the thread...things move fast here, don't they? !!

Mary
Well, They did the cat scan and all that showed up was a cyst on the left ovary. Now i have have had surgery in the past to have ovarian cysts removed, i have even had them rupture. This is a whole new kind of pain. Is there something that would not show up on a cat scan..adhesions maybe..Going to my family doc today..he has sent me to specialists that have actyually saved my life in the past. Very upset because the GYN. whom i did not know before the surgery basically says"Low pain tolerance" Yeah right!! Now he says in 4 weeks he wants to remove left ovary..is this guy nuts or what.I can't go thru 4 weeks of this kind of pain for that long! I do have a rare disease called " pernicious Anemia " that i take weekly shots for..but i do not believe that would be affecting this..sorry for the rant..any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for being here for me all!!
went to my family doc today. he feels that i ripped a staple and the bowel may be pushing thru..he says a CT doesn't always show it. Unfortunately the Gyn refuses to do anything but wait 4 weeks and take out the ovaries. My family doc was out of town when i had the emergency hysterectomy and was very unhappy with my choice of Gyn's. now i see why..What now?
Hi, wow...sorry to hear of all of this.

But, it sounds to me as if the GYN is awfully quick to want to take out the ovaries. Is that your sense, too? I know that a cyst can cause so much pain as can an adhesion (they don't cause pain in everyone, but my doctor told me that sometimes even the tiniest one can cause a big problem and then there are other times that many adhesions can cause no problems) BUT....I'll tell you, if I'd had a choice to keep my ovaries back in 2000 knowing what I know now, I certainly would have kept them. But, malignant cells were found in a cyst on one ovary and yet once they got in there, no more cancer was found. The Oncologist and my GYN both admitted to using what they called "The Sledge Hammer Approach" by going in and taking everything. But, maybe all they needed to do was to take the one ovary....but then again, Hindsight is 20/20.

I use the Bioidentical hormones and they have virtually saved my life, but they are misunderstood and often ignored and women are left hanging in the balance feeling miserable for years (now...this is my take on it...some women depending on the number of children they have...family history, etc, don't suffer as much from the symptoms on the surface, but then there are the issues such as cholesterol, bone health, heart health....the list is endless....meaning that hormones are who we are and when the ovaries are taken a woman is truly left in the dark. I had to discover the help I got on my own and now I am very passionate about making sure women know there are choices and that she can feel well after ovaries are taken.

Sorry to go on and on, but, may I ask how old you are? I am 54 and I know I will not give up my bio hormones...I feel terrible when out of balance anyway.

Could you get yet another opinion and maybe get an exploratory lap?...maybe take the cyst and then check on the bowel issue???

Good for you to try to get answers, but I know it is frustrating.

I will look for you on the forum tomorrow...

Mary