Septate hymen surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Septate hymen surgery

So I recently found out that I have a septate hymen (for those of you who do not know what a septate hymen is - Septate hymen: A septate hymen is when the thin hymenal membrane has a band of extra tissue in the middle that causes two small vaginal openings instead of one. Teens with a septate hymen may have trouble getting a tampon in or trouble getting a tampon out. The treatment for a septate hymen is minor surgery to remove the extra band of tissue and create a normal sized vaginal opening.
( this link http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/hymen.html was very informational on the subject)).

I was considering the minor surgery. I tried just stretching one opening hoping I could eventually get it to break, and though I did succeed in tearing it some, it refused to break, and now it's just a pain (not to mention a little painful now that it's irritated).

My question is if I do get the minor surgery, how long does it take to recover enough to do any sort of sexual activity? I was hoping anyone who had this surgery before could tell me.

(And for any who might be worried I am 20 years old. I'm shocked they don't inform people of things like this in Health class in high school. Apparently 1 in 2000 women have a septate hymen, but it might be informational to know to prevent teens, or in my case young adult, from getting scared and/or confused.)

well i have a septate hymen too, I am almost 14. I haven't told anyone cause i just noticed today! lol and my doctor who is a pediatrician has seen it at my yearly checkups, but i didnt know it was a problem cause i had never really examined my vagina lol and she didn't even say anything. but im fairly sure it is a septate hymen, i am almost positive. It looks identical to the pictures.. im a little nervouse about telling people, but not too bad, i certainly dont care to tell my doctor but im just super nervous about surgery! ive only had my tonsils removed, thats the only surgery i have had.. lol
I'm 19, and last week i had my septate hymen removed, the surgery was virtually painless for me, it took 15 minutes for the procedure. I've only had minor discomfort and no pain at all. Make sure you let your doctor know because its a necessary and easy fix. I couldn't have sex or use tampons and im so happy i had the surgery, everything is normal now.
Hi,  I'm 19 and just had my first gyno visit for some abnormalities in my period where i found out (the painful way) that i also have a septate hymen.  I've noticed having a little trouble taking out tampons and them getting "stuck", but i never really though anything about it.  I knew something was wrong when she started the speculum exam and i was in the worst pain of my life... ever.  I don't have insurance and so I went to a local family planning clinic to have the exam done.  She suggested I make another appt with her, and she will be able to take care of it in her office.  I've had surgeries before, so this reallly shouldn't be anything, but the idea of her messing "down there" still makes me nervous, especially since I'll be awake!  
Hi, I'm fifteen and during the first cycle of my period I tried to use tampons. I just couldn't get it in! I thought it was a technique thing so I got my mum to try haha. 15 minutes later, it was in, with sheer force and I could still feel it, but I left it in anyway. 3 hours later I just couldn't. Get. It. Out. I had to go to the doctors and she just yanked it out. It hurt so so much, was the worst pain I've had in my life. We assumed the hymen had been broken. I used Pads for the rest of the period. The next month I tried again, since I thought my hymen had been broken. Same thing happened, couldn't get it out. I was referred to a gynecologist and was scheduled for surgery.
The operation and recovery was so painless, I actually just went home and plucked my eyebrows before the sedation had actually worn off haha. I have never looked back! I have a heavy flow so tampons are so much better. Except for someone overhearing my friends talking and the whole school finding out and talking about it behind my back it has been great!