Septate hymen surgery

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Septate hymen surgery

So I recently found out that I have a septate hymen (for those of you who do not know what a septate hymen is - Septate hymen: A septate hymen is when the thin hymenal membrane has a band of extra tissue in the middle that causes two small vaginal openings instead of one. Teens with a septate hymen may have trouble getting a tampon in or trouble getting a tampon out. The treatment for a septate hymen is minor surgery to remove the extra band of tissue and create a normal sized vaginal opening.
( this link http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/hymen.html was very informational on the subject)).

I was considering the minor surgery. I tried just stretching one opening hoping I could eventually get it to break, and though I did succeed in tearing it some, it refused to break, and now it's just a pain (not to mention a little painful now that it's irritated).

My question is if I do get the minor surgery, how long does it take to recover enough to do any sort of sexual activity? I was hoping anyone who had this surgery before could tell me.

(And for any who might be worried I am 20 years old. I'm shocked they don't inform people of things like this in Health class in high school. Apparently 1 in 2000 women have a septate hymen, but it might be informational to know to prevent teens, or in my case young adult, from getting scared and/or confused.)

well i have a septate hymen too, I am almost 14. I haven't told anyone cause i just noticed today! lol and my doctor who is a pediatrician has seen it at my yearly checkups, but i didnt know it was a problem cause i had never really examined my vagina lol and she didn't even say anything. but im fairly sure it is a septate hymen, i am almost positive. It looks identical to the pictures.. im a little nervouse about telling people, but not too bad, i certainly dont care to tell my doctor but im just super nervous about surgery! ive only had my tonsils removed, thats the only surgery i have had.. lol
I'm 19, and last week i had my septate hymen removed, the surgery was virtually painless for me, it took 15 minutes for the procedure. I've only had minor discomfort and no pain at all. Make sure you let your doctor know because its a necessary and easy fix. I couldn't have sex or use tampons and im so happy i had the surgery, everything is normal now.
Hi,  I'm 19 and just had my first gyno visit for some abnormalities in my period where i found out (the painful way) that i also have a septate hymen.  I've noticed having a little trouble taking out tampons and them getting "stuck", but i never really though anything about it.  I knew something was wrong when she started the speculum exam and i was in the worst pain of my life... ever.  I don't have insurance and so I went to a local family planning clinic to have the exam done.  She suggested I make another appt with her, and she will be able to take care of it in her office.  I've had surgeries before, so this reallly shouldn't be anything, but the idea of her messing "down there" still makes me nervous, especially since I'll be awake!  
Hi, I'm fifteen and during the first cycle of my period I tried to use tampons. I just couldn't get it in! I thought it was a technique thing so I got my mum to try haha. 15 minutes later, it was in, with sheer force and I could still feel it, but I left it in anyway. 3 hours later I just couldn't. Get. It. Out. I had to go to the doctors and she just yanked it out. It hurt so so much, was the worst pain I've had in my life. We assumed the hymen had been broken. I used Pads for the rest of the period. The next month I tried again, since I thought my hymen had been broken. Same thing happened, couldn't get it out. I was referred to a gynecologist and was scheduled for surgery.
The operation and recovery was so painless, I actually just went home and plucked my eyebrows before the sedation had actually worn off haha. I have never looked back! I have a heavy flow so tampons are so much better. Except for someone overhearing my friends talking and the whole school finding out and talking about it behind my back it has been great!
I think I probably jad a septate hymen but I didn't realise either. I only really realised after i'd done all sorts of sexual things including sex. I noticed because when I went to take tampons out i'd have to pull the string through to the other side of the strange stringy piece of skin had. I told the nurse once that I had this strange piece of string going across the hole and she just said it was my hymen. I didn't think it would be but was too shy to say more. Also id always have to hold it aside when putting a penis in. In the end I was so annoyed with this piece of hymen that I thought had just never broken that I cut it with scissors while sitting in the bath...this could have gone horrendously wrong and I shouldn't have done it. I should have just gone back to the doctors and shown them. WHY was I never told about this???
I had the removal surgery a week ago.  Surgery wasn't so painful (numbing gel that burns some, than a couple shots to numb the area of each cut). Stretching it out to find the connection points hurt, the cuts themselves did not hurt but weren't pleasant I would say it feels like when you take a chunk of hair and cut through it slowly. Silver nitrate on the would and some stuff to stop the bleeding. The pain came almost immediately after it was over starting during when the dr was checking the wound to make sure it all looked good before sending me home. The car ride was hell, sitting sucked for days. The pain started going away but lately has returned and it looks irritated and red at the wound. My 2 week re-check is Friday. So as for healing I'd say expect up to a month before the tissue is fully healed and not painful. :/ But if this solves my pains is worth it.
i thought the surgery was only tying 2 strings to top and bottom of the skin. Was this what you got done or did you get a different procedure?
Once you have the septate hymen removed, do you still have your normal hymen? Or when they remove the septate hymen do they take out your normal hymen too?
I just recently got mine cut through a surgery. My boyfriend actually broke the hymen on accident the day before but it made it easier for her to cut. It was painless at first until the numbing wore off. But she cauterized the wound which means it nows look grey and black down there. Also I was trying to clean the skin a bit when a bit of the Grey area peeled off so now it's bleeding even more and red and irritated. So basically,  I wouldn't recommend letting them cauterize it. Or at least DO NOT mess with it if they do. It's a thousand times worse if you mess with it
pb95 commented on photo
Shannon79 commented on photo
Elleneggys commented on I had no idea there w...
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals