Septated Uterus surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Septated Uterus surgery

I'm 20 years old and just found out I have a septated uterus. I was told to have children, i need surgery. I desperatly want children, butI have the idea of being cut open. I read on one site that I have a higher risk of death from misscarage than the surgery. What should I do?
I'd get a second opinion on whether you need the surgery.  A septum that is small will not impede your ability to get pregnant, though it might have some effect on your chances of a miscarriage.  A septum that is large might give you more of a chance of a miscarriage, or possibly more of a chance of labor coming early.  There are two septum-related issues.  One is that if the baby implants on the septum itself, it might get too little blood supply (as opposed to if it implants on the wall of the uterus).  That's where the miscarriage chance comes from.  The other is that it is theoretically possible that a fully divided uterus might not have enough room for a baby to go to full term, and the baby would come earlier than usual.  That one always strikes me as a little bogus, because women have twins all the time and the uterus makes room for them.  The chance of the baby implanting on the septum is about the same as the size of the septum -- if your septum is little, the chances of the baby implanting on it are lower.  I have a small uterine septum and my doctor (a specialist) told me not to bother to have anything done about it, and I carried my baby to term.

Ask your doctor for a referral to another doctor who has done this kind of surgery often, or at least to a fertility specialist or a perinatologist.  Talk to him or her in depth about the shape and size of your own uterus and septum before you decide what to do.

I don't know where you got the information that you could die from a miscarriage.  Miscarriages are (sadly) very, very common, and often women don't even know they have had one.  

And for what it's worth, I had polyps removed from inside my uterus, and the surgery was no sweat.  Go to sleep, wake up.  Maybe a septum would be a bigger deal, but don't be afraid of surgery.  
I am having surgery to remove my septum the day after Christmas. I lost my baby boy Vinny at 7 months because he had no more room to grow and may have implanted on the septum. I do not ever want this to happen again!
oh, you poor thing...I had a corneal ectopic and lost the baby very early on (but after having seen the heartbeat on the monitor...) I do not ever want to have to go through that again.  I can't imagine having carried for 7 months!  Next step for me is to have an HSG test.  Scheduled for 12/28/07...did you have to have this test?  I am very nervous, but my doctor has prescribed valium to take the edge off, which eases my anxiety a little bit...because I had to have a pelvic MRI, my doctor knows I have at least a partial septum.  I'll be thinking of you.  
I just had surgery yesturday, i have a septated uterus, and tried to have kids for 6 years.   My suggestion wait and see if i have kids after this surgery, ill let you know!!! I really think that this would be the only possible reason.  For those of you who have gotten pregnant with this uterus problem.....it was gods doing!! thanks, erin
I have delivered three children with out difficulty, My youngest is now 8. I have a long history of gynalogical problems. Recently I have begin to have a multitude of issues and the pain has been unbearable. I went to a new ob/gyn recently and she sent me for an ultrasound. The first thing she ask me afterwards was "did you know you have a septated uterus?" I had never been told this before and I have had mutiple gynalogical surgeries. I have to meet with the doctor again next week and see where we go from there. Good luck to all of you
Dianne
I have been diagnosed with a 'slight' septated uterus. The diagnosis was determined by looking at an ultrasound. I have not seen a specialist about it yet. I suffered a miscarriage at 12 weeks last January, and do want to become pregnant again. I'm trying to find a specialist to work with who can help me determine the severity of the septum, but I am finding it difficult because the specialist in my area is part of a fertility clinic, thereby making it hard to be billed through my insurance. Isn't this a birth defect rather than a fertility issue? I'm not sure what to do, and am trying to obtain as much information as possible before I see a fertility specialist.
what is the difference about septated and didelphys uterus? im confuse about my case, thanks
Hi I have a septated uterus, but only found out when I was 20 weeks pregnant and my baby wasnt growing properly. Went to a specialist and he found the placenta had attached to the septum so the blood flow to the baby wasnt enough. The baby was expected to be delivered at around 28 weeks but she lasted in there till 37 weeks, she was a real fighter! She has some development and health problems which may or may not be due to being so squahsed in utero... So it is very possible to get prego with a septum but I would definitely recommend getting the surgery just to be sure! ( I am definitely going to get the surgery done before I try to get preg again!)
I just found out today I have a septated uterus. I am worried because all I want in the world is to have another baby. I have 2 kids already without problems, this scares me! Please let me know how surgery goes and recovery is!