Severe menstrual pain - percocet?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Severe menstrual pain - percocet?

I'm 40 years old, and judging by my older sisters and mother, I likely have another 11-12 years before menopause.  Over the last year or two, my menstrual cramps have gotten much worse.  I get chills and shakes, aches in my joints, nausea, headache, and massive cramps.  I've tried heating pads, lots of fluids, bed rest, Aleve, and other OTC pain relief. I went to see a new midwife for my last annual about 18 mo ago and forgot to mention it to her, then felt embarrassed to call in about it.  The only thing I've found that helps is about 4 Aleve (I know - it's high, 3 used to work for me) that I start taking about 24 hrs before my period hits.  Well, did that this cycle and no luck.  Massive back pain and shakes.  

I have leftover percocet from a root canal a year ago, and it helps with the pain for the first two days.  Problem is, I don't want to mention it to my MW because I feel bad that I have to take it and I don't want to look like a druggie.  Birth control pills are out of the question because of my faith.  I had a very similar issue when I was in my early teens/twenties, but resolved it by being on the pill for 10 years (different religion).  After I had my kids, I thought it would get better but it's getting progressively worse.

First, do I need to switch to an OBGYN again (he's good, but he's a man, and I like my MWs)?  Second, how do I ask for percocet without sounding like a druggie?  Third, what else do they prescribe for painful, dehabilitating cramps?  I have two little boys and work part-time, so spending the day moaning in bed is not an option.  

Thanks!
Julia
Hi Julia,

Sorry to hear your cramps are so debilitating.  I am sure the Percocet helps!  But please, you don't want to get hooked on them, take it from me.  I am a Mom of a 4 year old and started out taking narcotic pain meds after her birth due to a real bad back and before I knew it I was taking up to 40 pills a day thinking I was "super mom".  What I became was a super zombie who ended up addicted to pain pills and it's the worse hell you can imagine.  So if you are going to take them, take them only when you need them, when you can't stand the pain and like you said, can't stay in bed all day due to it.  I hope that didn't sound like a lecture :)  I would just be honest with your new doctor.  Tell him how bad your cramps are, what has not worked, what has worked.  A lot of doctors are pretty good at determining who are the druggies and who really needs them.  Good luck to you and let us know how things go :)  I really hope you find some relief~!
Thanks!  I'm not too worried about addiction, as I don't get any sort of high from meds.  It's a good thing in a way but also annoying in a way.  I only take pain meds for short term pain.

I think I will see my mw since I am most comfortable with her, and explain that it ha s been increasingly rough.  I should have mentioned it last year, but I was embarrassed.

Thanks.
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
1 hr ago
AppleBr commented on photo
AppleBr commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals