Severe ovulation pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Severe ovulation pain

Hello all! I'm looking for someone who can relate to my problem.
I've always been very healthy...periods very predictable & normal-very fertile! I have three daughters. I only started having problems after #2. I nursed my girls, so it took over a year to get my cycles back. Well, EVERY cycle between daughter #2 and #3 I was in lots of pain, swelling, midcycle only on my right side. Dr. said it's a cyst, it'll go away. Well, within a few cycles I got prego again, had baby. September 2004 I got my first cycle. Again, the pain, pressure, swelling midcycle...again, told by another dr. it's a cyst or just mid cycle pain, everyone gets it, right!?!?! So this has been going on ever since, for about 4 days every month, I'm hurting, worse than period pain.

I was sent to a specialist in August. It was perfect timing in my cycle. She noticed how enlarged and tender my ovary was. She did an u/s which turned up normal, a cyst. She recommended a laparscopic surgery to get a better look. I kept putting it off...this month I finally called up and said, YES DO IT!...So now I'm REALLY NERVOUS & SCARED! My main concern is my kids, and husband - I'm mom, I can't "take it easy" Of course I'm worried about what they might find.

I'm also wondering what to expect with this lap surgery. I go in on the 26th, but want answers now to be prepared. Do I need to be under gen anesthesia? Will I feel up to taking care of my kids?

I know everyone's story is different. Any details from anyones experience and recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & good luck to all of you.
Becca
Hey There,

I understand your concern, i was the same way.
Periods very predictable, right on time, and fertile(2 boys).
After my last son i began having terrible mid-cycle pain,i kept putting it off, everyone i talked to said it was quite common.
Well i finally went to an ob.I had an ultrasound,to rule out endo, and they also checked for some cysts. everything came back fine, he thought it was scar tissue from a previous surgery,and suggested lap. surgery to clean it out a bit.
When i woke up from the anesthesia, they had taken my right ovary out, because it was loaded with cysts, and also discovered my uterus had a large fibroid. 2 months later i had a complete hysterectomy(well i have 1 ovary left).well what i'm trying to say is, as i was reading your story it sounded like you were me.lap is a very common surgery, being it's lap you will be under general anesthesia, you will be fully put out(i get sick so i recomend the scolpamine(sp)patch, it's a patch that they place behind your ear, it lasts up to 3 days, it helps with nausea).you will be sore, it wont be so bad right away, cuz of the anesthesia, later that evening is when it should hit. it is a fairly short recovery, i would suggest getting help for at least the first few days.
sorry, i ran out of space................
they will probably give you vicodin for the pain, you can interchange it with ibuprofin, that helps alot. and the most important thing is rest........I know it's hard when your mom, i know what it's like, it's very hard to sit back and not be able to do anything. you only have 1 time to heal properly, you should start to be getting back to your old self in a week, i was lucky, i had my surgery on a fri, so dh was home for the weekend, and my mother came for a few days during the week, just in case. do you have anyone that can come and help a couple days? it's scary, especially the days leading up to it, **** i hardly slept a wink, my stomach was in knots, ugh. but they will take very good care of you i'm sure. anymore questions feel free to ask me. good luck hun.
Mal.
Mal -you exist, and your fast to respond! I've been to numerous websites with the same post.  If I get a response, it's just "good luck".

My surgery is scheduled for a thursday.  I have a hard time talking to my husband about my fears and all.  First, he was like "You'll bounce back & I'm going to work on Friday." What do you mean you might need someone to take care of you?  Booger!  (I was caring for him when he had his gallbladder removed and vasectomy!) Now, he's freaking me out.  What if they take your organs out!  I would have to consent to that.  

I have lots of family and friend who are more than happy to help - it's just my husband that says we don't need it.  I'm also concerned about lifting my youngest and doing the normal mommy duties the following week (driving kids around)

One of my big fears is, them not finding anything when they go in, or finding so much that, like you, they have to remove organs.  Also, I've had bad experience with gen. anesthesia.  I weep for 14 days! It's weird.  I'm on an antidepressant now.  Hopefully that might take care of some of it.

Thank you soo much for responding..I don't feel so alone!
Becca
My husband hates asking for help too, Them going in there and finding nothing wrong, it must be normal, because i had the exact same fear....."what if it's all in my head", i was terrified. they will however have you sign a consent form, stating that if anything needs to be removed, they can do it.If nothing signed, than i believe they cant take anything out(unless it's life threatening).they say to watch the lifting, my son is 2 1/2 and almost 30 lbs(yes,he's a bean pole). i just had another surgery last friday(1-6)(more scar tissue,and my last ovary was attached to something it shouldnt have been), i guess they have some new kind of spray now that will block the formation of new scar tissue, maybe that is something you can discuss with your surgeon, I had a couple rough days this last week, but i believe it was from over doing it.Hun, just listen to your body, and PLEASE, ask your DH to take that friday off, you are gonna be in no shape to look after 4 kids, trust me.
Oh, gosh that's exactly how I feel! Maybe it's all in my head,  do I really need surgery!

Why did you have a hysterectomy??  I think I'm way too young to even worry about that, I'm not even 30 yet. I almost started crying when my husband suggested it could happen!

Isn't it weird, having these female problems AFTER having a kid or two?  I thought pregnancy would cure most female problems, not create em!

Yeah, I think us women were created to nurture, guys just don't have that knack.  (I got my husband movies and magazines after his surgery).

My kids are very cuddly & clingy, I can't sit without getting mauled! I can just see one bouncing up on me post surgery. Most websites that talk about laps don't mention much about what to do about your kids while recovering..they assume patients have no lives or something :)

I've read the worst part of the surgery is chest and shoulder pain due to the gas.  Was that the case with you?  How did you feel once your ovary was gone, physically and emotionally?  

I just hate things out of the norm like this, you know. I like routine and being supermom...I have a hard time taking it easy!

Thanks again for your honest responses...I keep jumping on here to see if you've posted! I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal and stressing out over it way too much!

Becca
Another thing...
Do you have any other boards/websites you go to regarding your problems?  This has by far been the best I've found. I can find tons of Endo & PCOS sites...
my youngest is a momma's boy, i cant even use the bathroom alone!i ended up having the hysterectomy when i was 28, because of the fibroid and the pain, i just wanted it over with. when i had the first ovary removed, i had no emotional symptoms, everything seemed ok.the gas pain isnt too bad, i didnt always get it, it's just a sharp pain in between your shoulders, they give you a sheet on how to get rid of it, one of theose tips is pounding inbetween your shoulder blades to release the trapped gas, i was scared for that pain to come too, but it wasnt as bad as i thought, only lasted a little bit. hot showers are a god send(unfortunatly hot baths are out of the question:(,)you can also take like gas-x or something like that, but it didnt help me. i just turned 30 so i'm young too, and my last surgery they didnt know if they were gonna take my last ovary out or not, i was scared, because i would have had to take estrogen, luckily i got to keep it. I dont really know of any other websites but this one. there is a website called hystersisters.com, it's all ladies who have had, or who are going to have a hysterectomy, i know your not having a hysterectomy, but there is alot of information on there.
I had the same problem with severe pain when I ovulated. The most svere pain I ever had was when one of the cists burst and made me just double over. I was informed by my doctor that this was common in all women. When I ha my fist child and had a cysariane. My OB removed all my cists with a laser. To this day I have had no problems or pain. I have been ultra sound and they still haven't grown back. I don't know if this is for you, but it is wonderful not haveing that once a month pain.
Wow, I was juct looking for what this meant and stumbled across this thread. I also have terrible pain after ovulation until I menstrate, so about two weeks. I just had my son 7 months ago and I have been debating wether to go to the doc or not. At least I have an idea on what it is now. I had lap surgery to take out my appendix and it was great!!! I went to Hawaii 3 days later. I will probably wait until I am done breast feeding my son before I go to the doc. However, now at least I can stop worrying so much. Thanks gals for helping!!
This is the first time ever posting anything...I also just stumbled across this because I was searching for a reason that I might be having pain where my right ovary was sitting.  I just had surgery to remove my right ovary and tube 2 weeks ago (and a day)on Jan. 18th, due to multiple cysts. I have always had bigger than normal cysts, since 1996, when I had my first surgery for one that had ruptured.  They never bothered me severly until I had my 3rd child in 2003.  Then I had surgery laporascopically (sp?) in May of 2005.  And now, this surgery because they repeatedly came back.  Anyhow, I was recovering well until about the 4th day after, and then I was experiencing sharp pain where my ovary was.  I went back to my doctor before my post op checkup, and he said it could be infection.  He put me on anitbiotics, and when I went back to my post op on this past Monday, it still hurt the same, and he had no explanation.  I went for a CT scan today, but won't have results until this coming Monday.  I'm afraid that maybe there may be tissue attaching itself to where my tube and ovary were cut out.  He said I shouldn't have been hurting like that after 12 days since surgery, just a little tender.  And on top of that, I am emotional, and I get a little hot flash every now and then.  He said I shouldn't have hormone changes, but I think differently since the other ovary has to work double time to take up the slack.  Plus, I have been on pain pills, plus antibiotics, and also 3 other medications to counteract the IV dye they use for CT scan that I am allergic too. And they gave me 2 kinds of awful drinks before my scan that have upset my tummy!!!  I am sorry for venting here, but it is good to have a support system with other ladies who have been through this.  Please let me know if anyone else has been through this pain after surgery!!!!  Thanks, Krissy
I just was at the hospital today and had an Ultrasound, blood test, and CT scan done to rule out problems with my appendix and no ovarian cysts. I have no childeren. I was on the pill for 12 years and have been off now for 8 months. I had never expierence pain like this before. The last 2 months is when i started to experience the severe pain. I had some minor pain in previous months but nothing like this. They have not sent me for LAP surgery yet. I see a gyno in Oct and I have a feeling that he may suggest it. I had a good idea of the pain I was feeking was ovulation but I had no idea that it could be so severe that it would incompacitate me. Thanks for your stories to help me understand myself better.
This is my first post on this (or any) site.  I had been on the pill for 20 years (except the year I had my daughter) and when I was 36 my GYN said I should go off of it because of risk associated with my age.  So I tried it.... that's when my hell started.  Severe cramps, sever blood loss during periods, severe ovulation, severe fatigue (I've crawled to the bathroom).  I kept going to the doctor and they kept telling me I was FINE.  They said my body just needed time to get used to not being on the pill.  I had a cesarian when I had my daughter and that was cake compared to what I went through.  For two years I was either bleeding profusely & cramping or I was doubled over with severe ovulation pain... totally incapacitating.  Most of the time my whole body just HURT.  towards the end I was even getting night sweats, hot flashes and terrible mood swings.  Finally I went to my GYN and said I couldn't take it anymore.. I wanted a sonogram.  Turns out I had a very large fibroid tumor in my uterus.  It sounds strange but I was actually relieved!  I finally had a diagnosis that explained my pain which meant I wasn't crazy after all! :)

So I opted for a hysterectomy in June '08.  Surgery went fine.. the tumor was the size of a grapefruit.  I was able to keep my ovaries since they said they looked healthy.  That was 10 weeks ago but I still haven't been able to return to work.  The ovulation pain didn't go away.  Still very severe and incapacitating accompanied by extreme fatigue, night sweats, occassional hot flashes, body aches and mood swings.  Oh, and I still get cramps and tender breasts when the calendar says I should be having a period.  THe only thing missing is the blood.  The Dr. says it sounds like menopause symptoms but I'm only 37!  They did a blood test for premenopause that supposedly came back negative.  Although they only did one test and I've now learned they need to do it twice on different days and compare the hormone levels in both.  So now I want an ultrasound on my ovaries.  Maybe endometriosis, maybe bursting cysts, maybe scar tissue from the hysterectomy.....I don't know but I am convinced they are NOT healthy.  Healthy ovaries shouldn't incapacitate a woman.

Has your pain subsided at all?  
Wow, sounds like you have had a rough go. Make sure you get lots of rest and take care of yourself. Yes the pain does subside. The pain starts with Ovulation. About 2 days before. The worst of it is on the ovulation day. the next day i am better. however between ovulation and my period i have mild pain. more like the feeling of pressure being applied to much to my lower stomach. Between my period and ovulation I have no pain. I go to see the GYN in 3 weeks. I am going to ask him for a D and C. From what I have learned so far is that it could be mild endrometrosis and that is why i have not been able to concive either. I hope he will give me one if thats what he thinks it is too. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your story.
I too have been suffering for at least 5 years now. I have had numerous ultrasounds, a cyst removal, endometriosis burned to stop its growth/ and therein the notation of numerous fibroids (all during 6cm cyst removal - surgery 2 years ago these things were found/surgery was just for 6cm cysyt)...dumb was I to thnnk that I could be cured! While recovering from LP it started again..

The pain is excruciating. I cling to my boyfriend in the middle of the night, deep, horrible, almost contraction-like pangs that originate in my ovarian area and sometimes even radiatedown mt leg. This happens from 14 day of cylce until a few days b4 my period. PMS is a laugh compared to this.

Something I do not understand, I take hydromorphone/dilaudid a very strong pain killer for a vascular problem. It doesnt eventouch, not even a touch of relief. What is this. Why doesnt anyone have a name for it? Why do we go to doctor after doctor feeling stupid afterwards.  I am only thirty-nine, but am ready to do something drastic. My heart would be so much lighter if I didnt have to experience pain for 10 days out of month. Thank you for listening.
Hi, I too have severe, incapacitating pain during ovulation, sometimes making me sore for days to come afterward.  I also have IBS, which the ovulatory pain tends to throw me into after the pain subsides.  Unfortunately, the IBS makes my suffering longer, as that consists of severe gastrointestinal pain, for which I take Gas X.  I break out into a sweat, almost passing out sometimes, it feels like a long, intense labor pain that will not go away (the ovulation pain is being referred to here).  Usually lasts about an hour or two, but has lasted longer, just not as severe, as I take 4 Ibuprofen or Advil, as recommended by my doctor (he too told me this pain is very common).  I have to lie down in bed for a while, until the meds take effect.  This last time, that didn't even take it totally away.  Normally it does.   I was in the grocery store (at the cashier, thank God), when it struck me this last time.  I didn't think I'd make it to the car let alone home, but I did somehow.  Today I am in day 3 after ovulation, and I'm still sore and tender.  I am in peri-menopause, and have been since I was 40, (I am 46 now) and I do have an ovarian cyst, which was discovered before I had an ablation done about 5 years ago.  Two years ago I got pregnant, and they looked at it, but didn't remove it, while in the hospital for a case of severe eclampsia with HELLP, in which we lost our baby, because of the drugs they gave me to save my life.  I told them they had biopsied the cyst and it was normal.  It was only 1/2" they said, but looked huge on the sonogram, as it's magnified.  My pain is in my entire lower abdomen, not just one one side, as described sometimes.  I guess the pain gets so intense, and the body is in such distress, it irritates your insides and makes it very tender for a few days.  I sometimes have spotting too, which I am told is also normal, it's just a little pink for a day, and not even the entire day.  

I hope this helps some of you.  I had to share, as it is horrible to have to go through, and I never had any of this pain until after my 3rd child.  The last one would have been our 4th.  
I have the exact same symptoms sincemy last child was born 5 years ago. It catches me anywhere, anytime three to four times a day and feels like contractions, I am up now at 4 am because it woke me from a deep sleep. Its been some time since these postings please tell me you have found an answer, doctors look ay me like Im crazy, but I can not take this every month totally depletes quality of life, need to find resolution.
I can't believe this community exists!... I'm 41 and in year 4 of this insane pain. It hits at ovulation and lasts solidly for 7-10 days. It comes like clockwork. I've been charting it for 2 years and am shocked at its regularity. Until tonight, I have found NOTHING on the internet about this. There are similar topics, but nothing describes it to a T like all of you women from years past. The pain is excruciating and I usually ingest 3-4 ibuprofen every 2 or 3 hours which is pretty bad for my interior system over a 7 day run x12 mo x 4 years. Like others mentioned, it wakes me out of a sound sleep and can immobilize me during daily activities. My one and only true relief is a microwavable rice bag. It is glued to my middle for the duration of the pain. The heat is hugely comforting!

I had laparoscopy surgery last year as the doc was sure it had to be endimetriosis and they found nada, not a trace of anything. My holistic NP/PA believes it's energy related maybe even an emotional wound or  some early trauma (ranging from minor to major). She also talked about a break in my DNA causing this unidentifiable pain. The lap surgeon suggested birth control to stop the ovulation in hopes of stopping the pain. My NP strongly discouraged that path. I would prefer a natural remedy. If it's emotional, I'd like to get to the bottom of it and release it so I can thoroughly enjoy my life, my children and my body. I must say I can get pretty cranky/irritable during this time. As the pain increases, my tolerance and stamina seem to plummet!

Here's my most pressing question... does it stop after menopause? I'm assuming so since it's tied to ovulation it would have to stop when ovu stops, right? Where are all the women from the old postings? Did it eventually subside? A glimmer of hope would take me far. If any woman past or present could kindly respond I would be ever grateful... Thank you, from another lady in pain